Type keyword(s) to search

Race & Ethnicity On TV

Message added by Meredith Quill,

This is the place to discuss race and ethnicity issues related to TV shows only.

Go here for the equivalent movie discussions.

For general discussion without TV/Film context please use the Social Justice topic in Everything Else. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Keepitmoving said:

What network is this going to be on? When does it start? I need to make sure I watch it. I'm kinda wishy/washy when it comes to Sci-Fi. I've never been into Star Wars, the only one I remember really liking was when Luke Skywalker found out that Darth Vader was his father. But I liked Star Trek, I wasn't a fanatic about it. Looking back Captain Kirk was hilarious.  But two women, minorities heading this new Starship Enterprise, that could be must see tv for me.

It's on the CBS app you have to pay for.

(edited)

That  may get me to turn the Netflix on. I'm really bad about just letting it sit there. That show sounds fantastic.

Now that CBS cancelled criminal minds reboot (sad). I'll have some time to try it out.

The Black Lightening sounds good. Guess we'll  see.

I wasn't sure if the discussion was here or another forum but I remember people were speculating if The Cosby Show would go away and never come back. Well I found it on TV One this weekend. Same week the trial is trying to get some jurors for one of the cases actually going to trial. 

Edited by callie lee 29
Coby is not the same as Cosby
4 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

The racists are out in force about the "white genoicide" being reflected in the new Star Trek series.

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/05/white-genocide-in-space-racist-fans-seethe-at-diversity-in-new-star-trek-series/

They seem bothered more about the fact that it's 2 females than the color of their skin to me. I keep seeing comments about there being no "white males", but I haven't seen a single comment about the lack of "white females". I'm sure they're racist, but I think the real problem is they feel their dicks are being disrespected.

I hate SJWs. With the passion of a thousand fiery suns.

• Love 2

I think the term SJW is as offensive as the n word, the f word, and a lot of other words, but my only comment on this topic is to point out that the people we are discussing are not social justice warriors.  They are male rights/racists, which is far far far from social justice warriors.

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

I think the term SJW is as offensive as the n word, the f word, and a lot of other words, but my only comment on this topic is to point out that the people we are discussing are not social justice warriors.  They are male rights/racists, which is far far far from social justice warriors.

Sorry I wasn't clear, I agree the people posting are male rights/racists not SJWs. I was just pointing out that I also hate SJWs.

2 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

It's on the CBS app you have to pay for.

I was excited when I heard about the new Star Trek. I refuse to pay for the CBS app. I pay for too much crap already. Why don't they just sell it to Netflix. I can't imagine the CBS app is in any way profitable. 

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

22 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I am always surprised that such people are Star Trek fans given so many of the themes that run through the showverse.

Or they are hard core Trekkies wanting to protect the established canon of a 1969 show because on air it was said that a woman had not been the Captain of a Federation starship in the episode Turnabout Intruder. I am not sure if it was stated as truth or just the reason why the woman in the plot hatched her crazy scheme. The big problem with prequels is the danger running into extended backstory that is not acceptable to a modern audience. In its way it is like putting the multi-ethnic cast of a modern show in the American past and nobody recognizes race and Black men never face possible lynching because the show has the people act like 21st Century Americans. Some will complain about putting a coat of whitewash on the actual dirty history, hiding our fathers sins. On the other hand you get accused if the cast is all a single racial group in today's market

On 5/24/2017 at 2:14 AM, possibilities said:

Shots Fired was better than I expected.

It was passable.  I liked the cast but the plot was plodding, the end result not very satisfactory and I was left with a massive case of the mehs.

23 hours ago, Sparger Springs said:

I was excited when I heard about the new Star Trek. I refuse to pay for the CBS app. I pay for too much crap already. Why don't they just sell it to Netflix. I can't imagine the CBS app is in any way profitable. 

I'm torn.  I want to watch and support this, but it looks like the only show I'll watch on CBS Plus or whatever it's called.  And I don't watch any show on on my phone.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, jhlipton said:
On 5/24/2017 at 2:14 AM, possibilities said:

Shots Fired was better than I expected.

It was passable.  I liked the cast but the plot was plodding, the end result not very satisfactory and I was left with a massive case of the mehs.

I wanted to enjoy this show because I love Sanaa Lathan, and the show's premise was timely and interesting. And the cast was so diverse. But it just didn't hook me for some reason. And I feel guilty about not liking the show more, as much I hunger for dramas featuring people of color. Stephan James was a pretty good actor--and very cute. But both heroes were kind of bland--maybe it was the writing. Even Sanaa's character bored me, and she had a complicated background of PTSD, alcohol abuse, and strained relationships with her ex and her daughter. 

Contrast Sanaa's character to Carrie in the 1st Season of Homeland. From the moment I started watching the Pilot and saw Carrie come home after a night of partying to wash up her bathroom sink then rush to a high-powered CIA meeting, I was fascinated by this smart, passionate, and sometimes stupid character.  And the show had me hooked. 

*confused shrug* I like Gina and Reggie Rock Bythewood, and they're both great writers. So I don't know what happened. I wonder if they were stifled by "notes" from the network. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, topanga said:

*confused shrug* I like Gina and Reggie Rock Bythewood, and they're both great writers. So I don't know what happened. I wonder if they were stifled by "notes" from the network. 

I know "of" a lot of their work, but haven't seen most of it. 

There were far too few ancillary characters who really didn't add much -- Preston's dad and brother, Eames' aide (and Eames herself wasn't really necessary).  Just what purpose the "education initiative" serve, plot-wise?  They just made the show drag on.  And as much as I loved "Boogs" (LOL), a lot of that plot could have been snipped (like the blackmail that didn't go anywhere) could have been snipped.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/24/2017 at 9:30 PM, Dee said:

Baz Luhrmann’s ‘The Get Down’ Canceled By Netflix After One Season

I knew a second season was a longshot, but this is still painful.

The reviews weren't great and it was prohibitively expensive. It cost a little over $100 million to film Game of Thrones, which has an enormous cast and sometimes films on 3 continents simultaneously. The Get Down cost $120 million for the first season.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 2

I've had The Get Down on my list for a while and haven't gotten around to watching it yet. Should I still watch it or does it end on some cliffhanger or in a way that will piss me off now that it's been cancelled?

• Love 1
(edited)

The Get Down itself is pretty great.

The finale contains several loose ends, which were to be resolved in a potential second season (but are now frustrating in retrospect); however it's still definitely worth watching.

The cast is full of gorgeous & talented rising young stars, contemporary broadway icons, and unsung veteran character actors, the writing is really solid, the cinematography & set design is frequently breathtaking, and the music is consistently amazing.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 4

Okay good. I don't mind a few loose ends as long as it's nothing major. It sounds like a really good show and  I remember being really intrigued when I first started reading about it. 

• Love 2

It's kind of hard to describe The Get Down's finale, without giving away major plot points.

It's probably easiest to say that most of its loose ends are largely emotional, in nature.

On 5/18/2017 at 5:58 PM, Keepitmoving said:

Not to mention, I've been to Chicago and never set foot in the area where all the violent crime is occurring, so it's not even like the entire city is burning. Yep, not happening, and boy are their city streets clean. If you just go by the news one would never step foot in the city of Chicago, it's a beautiful city. It's the first city from my perspective as someone who was born and raised in NYC, so I compare all cities in this country to NYC, Chicago was the first city in which I truly felt like I was in a real city comparable to NYC. Chicago has a real city skyline, like real sky scrapers.

Same thing with Baltimore, not the sky scrapers,  Baltimore seems more like a small town to me. But again, the entire downtown area is not on fire. Big businesses and state agencies are down there. But they say Baltimore on the news and you think the entire place is on fire. Not to mention, there's a difference between Baltimore City and Baltimore County.

I'm a chicago native born and bred, and people who visit me here always proclaim "chicago is like a clean New York". Being FROM here I'm used to the cleanliness of the streets, alleys etc, going to NYC and other big cities in like "hot damn its dirty!"  Lol n

• Love 6
(edited)

Star Trek always was a pioneer in terms of diverse casting - George Takei, Levar Burton, Whoopi Goldberg, and on and on and on.  So of course the white supremacists are mad about the new Star Trek; how "logical".  I'll never forget when somebody pointed out to me that science fiction has always been ahead of the curve when it comes to diverse casting in America.  Growing up I was never a big sci-fi fan besides like BTTF but in the past decade I've really come to embrace it.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
(edited)
13 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I'll never forget when somebody pointed out to me that science fiction has always been ahead of the curve when it comes to diverse casting in America.

But the downside is the convention of casting brown skin as shorthand for unsophisticated warrior culture. STNG Klingons, the Jaffa of Stargate and, if you include fantasy, the Unsullied and Dothraki of GOT. The Jaffa and Unsullied are explicitly slaves. 

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, xaxat said:

But the downside is the convention of casting brown skin as shorthand for unsophisticated warrior culture. STNG Klingons, the Jaffa of Stargate and, if you include fantasy, the Unsullied and Dothraki of GOT. The Jaffa and Unsullied are explicitly slaves. 

I think brown skin has become shorthand for 'alien' or 'other', but I remember reading that they specifically picked black actors initially for TNG Klingons because it was easier to blend the makeup on dark skin.  And by the end the Klingon culture became pretty sophisticated. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, xaxat said:

Michonne on the Walking Dead seems to fit that pattern (I don't watch but that's the impression I get).  Zyx on Dark Matters is only as much of a "warrior" as any of the others, and less than some (with Melanie Liburd's new role on Netflix's Gypsy, I'm not sure if she'll be back, though).  Naomi on The Expanse is definitely not a warrior -- she's much more of a mother-type to the crew.  Bill on Doctor Who is another non-warrior -- just an average 20-something Brit.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, xaxat said:

1 hour ago, jhlipton said:

Michonne on the Walking Dead seems to fit that pattern (I don't watch but that's the impression I get).  Zyx on Dark Matters is only as much of a "warrior" as any of the others, and less than some (with Melanie Liburd's new role on Netflix's Gypsy, I'm not sure if she'll be back, though).  Naomi on The Expanse is definitely not a warrior -- she's much more of a mother-type to the crew.  Bill on Doctor Who is another non-warrior -- just an average 20-something Brit.

But then they  Naomi, Michonne nor Zyx  are representing entire races with the SciFi troupe of non human races, or every planet, belters in Naomi's case having a unified culture. Dark Klingons are warriors concerned with honor pasty Vulcans (until Voyager) all care about logic, darker Ferengi only care about the acquisition profit, the love of money,  in a Star Trek example. 

There have been a few cases of the pale aliens coming to earth as warriors or slaves the Newcomers of Alien Nation, the companions Earth Final Conflict,

• Love 1
On ‎05‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 7:48 PM, callie lee 29 said:

Well that's...dumb. I don't get why having two females of color in charge is a big fucking deal. And what the hell is SJW?

Sometimes I feel so confused by people...

People are flipping idiots.

On ‎05‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 11:42 PM, GaT said:

They seem bothered more about the fact that it's 2 females than the color of their skin to me. I keep seeing comments about there being no "white males", but I haven't seen a single comment about the lack of "white females". I'm sure they're racist, but I think the real problem is they feel their dicks are being disrespected.

They're all het up, and yet, the captain of the main starship is Jason Isaacs.  His character isn't going to be the focus of the show, but it's not like there won't be any white guys involved.

• Love 2
On 5/18/2017 at 6:06 PM, xaxat said:

The trailer for CW's Black Lightning

On one hand, I'm happy to see another show revolving around POC, On the other hand, growing up as a kid when the comic first came out, I thought Black Lightning was boooring. 

But more importantly, It annoys me that the drama derived from many TV shows set in cities is that they are crime infested.  While there has been a recent increase in places like Baltimore and Chicago, violent crime in general is at its lowest point in decades. Yes, there is work to be done, but cities are not the hellscape that Trump and many shows would have you believe.

They're using The Flash sets!  Jitters and Barry's lab!

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/25/2017 at 0:13 AM, GaT said:

I was just pointing out that I also hate SJWs.

Why?  Nearly everyone on this thread would be classified as such?  SJWs actually fight against injustice using a social media platform.  Wouldn't most people on this thread be classified as SJWs given our discussions?

Edited by phoenics
  • Love 7
26 minutes ago, phoenics said:

SJWs actually fight against injustice using a social media platform.  

Nope, that's not what SJWs do, don't confuse an SJW with a person who actually cares about something, there's a big difference. I think the Urban Dictionary has a very good definition. If someone calls you an SJW, it's an insult. 

10 hours ago, Ceindreadh said:

Really? I always thought that SJW was used as an insult by people who were pissed off that somebody was daring to call them out on their crap.  So they try to knock them down by insulting them instead of actually looking at their own behaviour. 

That's what I've seen too.  Someone says something sexist, for example, and gets called out on it, the person calling them out is a SJW who hates men.  It always comes from white men.

• Love 8
15 minutes ago, jhlipton said:

That's what I've seen too.  Someone says something sexist, for example, and gets called out on it, the person calling them out is a SJW who hates men.  It always comes from white men.

That's interesting just because most SJWs are women & if it's trendy to hate men, then they'll do it.

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, jhlipton said:

See also feminazi.  It's supposed to have a specific meaning for truly awful misandrists and yet I've see it applied to anyone espousing a feminist perspective.

Maybe SJW is supposed to have a specific meaning but I think it gets overly applied by most people I've seen use it in that if you point out injustice, you get thrown into the category.

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, jhlipton said:

I have a lot of friends who are very active in working against racism and sexism and not a single one hates whites or men.  White male ego is so fragile that two women of color on the latest Star Trek has them howling "Injustice!'  In the words of my friends, they can "take several seats".

Not everyone who fights racism & sexism is an SJW, that's my point. There are people who truly try to change the bad things, & then there are people who are SJWs. I hate SJWs, I don't hate people who are real.

• Love 4
On May 26, 2017 at 10:31 AM, topanga said:

Contrast Sanaa's character to Carrie in the 1st Season of Homeland. From the moment I started watching the Pilot and saw Carrie come home after a night of partying to wash up her bathroom sink then rush to a high-powered CIA meeting, I was fascinated by this smart, passionate, and sometimes stupid character.  And the show had me hooked. 

Well, Homeland was on Showtime and Shots Fired was on Fox.  Premium cable shows don't have to worry about pleasing sponsors.  When I saw that scene in Homeland, I thought, "no way that would fly on network TV."

• Love 2
1 hour ago, GaT said:

Not everyone who fights racism & sexism is an SJW, that's my point. There are people who truly try to change the bad things, & then there are people who are SJWs. I hate SJWs, I don't hate people who are real.

No Further Comment.

• Love 8
37 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

And I was thinking about keeping Netflix; not now; especially when crap like "Unbreakable Red Headed White Woman" gets a second season.

I like OITNB and hopefully Dear White People will have a second season.  So I think I'll keep mine, reluctantly (and I'm more upset about Sense8 than The Get Down -- the later didn't end on a HUGE cliffhanger).

• Love 1