Type keyword(s) to search

Race & Ethnicity On TV

Message added by Meredith Quill,

This is the place to discuss race and ethnicity issues related to TV shows only.

Go here for the equivalent movie discussions.

For general discussion without TV/Film context please use the Social Justice topic in Everything Else. 

• Start Topic

I hate these who should use the n word debates. The answer is nobody based on the origins on the word. I'm black and I don't understand why black people use the word that's been used to talk down to us like we are less than a person for years.

• Love 9
48 minutes ago, In2You said:

I hate these who should use the n word debates. The answer is nobody based on the origins on the word. I'm black and I don't understand why black people use the word that's been used to talk down to us like we are less than a person for years.

For the same reason that women call themselves/each other THOTs or Bitches, or a gay person may use the F word.  It's a complicated issue, and there's not just one answer.  Because they think it makes them sound cool/hip, because of some level of self-hate, because they don't know how to articulate themselves without cursing, or just because.  But context is important.  And there are very few scenarios where a white person can use the word in a context that is appropriate.  

As for the DWP example, singing along to a song lyric is not an appropriate context IMO.  

• Love 7

CBS continues to bypass people of color and females for leading roles in its new fall shows

While maintaining at the time that the 2016-2017 CBS lineup was “more diverse” than the previous year, with several minorities in supporting roles across its prime-time programming, entertainment president Glenn Geller acknowledged that the network needed to improve its record on casting people of color in starring roles: “Look, we need to do better, and we know it,” he said.

In revealing a portion of its upcoming schedule Friday, CBS demonstrated its definition of “do better”: Of the six new shows — two comedies and four dramas— officially announced by press time, one has a minority lead. None feature a female in a leading role.

I was going to write something sarcastic, but there's no need. CBS' "efforts" speak for themselves.

• Love 12

I literally had no faith that CBS would do better.  None. 

On a better note, I am in the middle of watching Master of None.  And POC representation  on that show is fantastic.  The 6th episode of the season is called 'New York, I Love You' is a series of little vignettes featuring random characters in New York and how they glancingly intersect.  All of the vignettes feature POC.  One follows a doorman (Latino), the next is a deaf girl (black), the next is an African cab driver.  Such a delightful episode!

And the 7th episode is entitled 'Thanksgiving' and takes place over a series of Thanksgiving days starting in the 1980s until the present at the home of the recurring character of Denise who is a black lesbian and plays one of Dev's (Aziz Ansari's) best friends since childhood.  Angela Basset stars as her mother and Kim Whitley is her aunt.  And the yearly progression and the various thanksgiving day conversations in the black, female household are fantastic.  It is extra funny because Dev is treated like a de facto family member and is always there at Thanksgiving with them.  The optics of the Indian guy among all the black women year after year is great.

One of the things I noticed about the show this season so far is that a lot of the episodes feature  WOC as characters in the story, in many cases as romantic interests or objects of desire.  White women are not the default and in fact are not overly represented.  This is so refreshing to me.

• Love 11
53 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

On a better note, I am in the middle of watching Master of None.  And POC representation  on that show is fantastic. 

Which is largely a reflection of MON's writer's room.

TV shows with significant diversity behind the scenes, especially in the writer's room, usually also have the most authentic representations of people of color onscreen.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

On a better note, I am in the middle of watching Master of None.  And POC representation  on that show is fantastic.

I tried watching the "Thanksgiving" episode.  Not for me, I'm afraid.

3 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

If you think CBS is bad, how about Hallmark?   Minority characters are relegated to being the best buddy of the Caucasian lead. That really hacks me off.  

It's why I don't watch Hallmark anymore. They're supposed to be doing movie projects with Al Roker and Holly Robinson Peete but they've been quiet about those since the Upfronts. They have movies almost every weekend of the year and all their leads are white or as white passing as possible.  If I feel the need to watch one of those types of movies I'll watch one of the ones from PixL where they actual give the non white friends their own separate story from the leading couple. 

• Love 1

I do think CBS is worse because the traditional networks were supposed to have more diverse programming for all types of viewers while many cable/satellite channels are more targeted with the viewers they're trying to reach and the type of content they're creating and broadcasting. 

Gotta binge on 'Master of None' over the next few days because I really enjoyed the first season, and I'm not usually a big sitcom viewer. 

• Love 1

With the recent ending of a decent sized hit drama (The Good Wife), the cancellation of a few decently performing sitcoms (Two Broke Girls, Mike & Molly, Two & A Half Men) and an over-reliance on procedurals and The Big Bang Theory, CBS is gonna be in a lot of trouble in the next five years.

Most of their recent dramas have only been small successes (at best) and the majority of their new sitcoms have been flops.

• Love 5
On 5/11/2017 at 10:56 AM, Joimiaroxeu said:

I think we're probably about to see a marked decline in TV shows featuring Black characters or Black-oriented themes, especially on the broadcast networks

Jeez, I hope not (but you're probably right).

Forgive this long post, but I'm venting:

As a black woman, maybe I’m overly sensitive about this issue, but standards of beauty in this country—and around the world—remain horribly fucked up. 

I’ve been watching Married at First Sight this season (no judgment, please), and one of the brides is a brown-skinned woman with a cute, Halle Berry short hair cut. I think Sheila is absolutely gorgeous, and her husband has said the same thing many times. But I am appalled by the number of people on the episode thread who have said she is ugly, not attractive, or that they can’t stand to look at her. One poster even said that she’s “well put together” but not attractive. Keep in mind that Sheila is the only one of the brides who allowed herself to be filmed without wearing makeup and with hair that wasn’t perfect-- after riding  a Jetski and capsizing into the ocean. So yes, she did look plainer than she did on her wedding day, when her hair and makeup were fierce.  

The other two brides always wear makeup and have their hair styled, even in water scenes and in their so-called just –woke-up morning scenes. But that’s their choice. I’m not judging them.

But who do people comment is the “pretty one?” Of course it’s the blond bride. Now, I do think Ashley (the blond) is pretty, but she has a very generic look, and there’s nothing particularly memorable or captivating about her. She looks like a mean girl version of Rachel McAdams (pardon the pun). And I do like Rachel McAdams, BTW. 

The thing is, I know beauty is subjective. I don’t expect everyone to think Sheila is pretty. But I also find it disappointing and personally hurtful that so many people on the thread consider Ashley’s blond looks the epitome of beauty, while Sheila is just some broke-down crack-ho the producers dragged in from the streets. And it saddens me that this is who we are as a people—that hoards of posters consider a beautiful black woman ugly because she looks like a black woman.

And I do think these perspectives are directly related to what we see on TV, as well as in other media. Black women are rarely portrayed as the beautiful one, the love interest, or even as someone who’s more than a throwaway character. Which is why I appreciate the presence of shows with WOC in prominent roles, even when the shows themselves become unwatchable for me. *cough* Scandal, Uncle Buck *cough*

• Love 19

The thing is, I know beauty is subjective. I don’t expect everyone to think Sheila is pretty. But I also find it disappointing and personally hurtful that so many people on the thread consider Ashley’s blond looks the epitome of beauty, while Sheila is just some broke-down crack-ho the producers dragged in from the streets. And it saddens me that this is who we are as a people—that hoards of posters consider a beautiful black woman ugly because she looks like a black woman.

I wonder if part of the issue is that Sheila doesn't a have a long weave flowing down her back? I'm not saying that she should but you don't see too many Black female celebrities with short hair anymore and they pretty much establish the base line for regular folk. Even short-haired Halle periodically dons a wig or a weave. That look may be becoming the de facto standard for Black women even if they also face criticism from some for (being presumed to be) wearing fake hair.  Interesting though how women of other ethnicities are also now commonly using, for example, clip in extensions.

CBS is gonna be in a lot of trouble in the next five years.

Maybe not. They seem to be low key (-ish) going after the Fox News audience that skews older, conservative, loves them some cop shows, and doesn't want to see POC unless they're in the background or at least subordinate to the White Folks in Charge. The older front will start dying out over the next twenty years or so but that solid base will be still be there. CBS will probably just start using younger actors to play cops.

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, topanga said:

I've noticed that in that thread as well.  A lot of commenters were saying that Ashley was too pretty for her husband.  But when I look in her face, I thought she was pretty plain/average and that she and her husband were a decent match looks wise.  People are easily distracted by long blond hair.  Sheila is very pretty, her husband is just a'ight...LOL  

Caught the tail end of the Miss USA pageant last night, and was impressed that the the winner, who appeared to be bi-racial sported her natural curly hair.   But I LOVED when the reigning Miss USA walked out rocking her kinky curly natural do in all it's glory.  She was stunning.  

• Love 4
2 hours ago, topanga said:

And I do think these perspectives are directly related to what we see on TV, as well as in other media. Black women are rarely portrayed as the beautiful one, the love interest, or even as someone who’s more than a throwaway character. Which is why I appreciate the presence of shows with WOC in prominent roles, even when the shows themselves become unwatchable for me. *cough* Scandal, Uncle Buck *cough*

I agree with you on everything you said. Not to mention I am bored to death with Ashleys.

• Love 5
(edited)

Caught the tail end of the Miss USA pageant last night, and was impressed that the the winner, who appeared to be bi-racial sported her natural curly hair.

The one who said that healthcare was a privilege, not a right?  And thinks that women have equal opportunity in the workplace?  Beautiful woman, but very problematic opinions.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 9
21 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

The one who said that healthcare was a privilege, not a right?  And thinks that women have equal opportunity in the workplace?  Beautiful woman, but very problematic opinions.

Yeah her... When I heard her say something along the lines that she wasn't a feminist because she didn't hate men, I thought she'd lost.  Was very surprised that she won.   Was not impressed with her answers at all.  But I can't say that any of the contestants rocked the interview questions.  

Does Trump still own Miss USA/Miss Universe, that might explain it... LOL

• Love 1
7 hours ago, topanga said:

And it saddens me that this is who we are as a people—that hoards of posters consider a beautiful black woman ugly because she looks like a black woman.

Me too.

FOX / Marvel have a new X-Men-universe show coming up called The Gifted, about a family "forced on the run" (but of course) when it's discovered their daughter is a Mutant.  I was surprised to see that family was Black and..  yeah, right, why would they be?  We already have too many Black families on TV, amirite?

• Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, After7Only said:

I've noticed that in that thread as well.  A lot of commenters were saying that Ashley was too pretty for her husband.  But when I look in her face, I thought she was pretty plain/average and that she and her husband were a decent match looks wise.  People are easily distracted by long blond hair.  Sheila is very pretty, her husband is just a'ight...LOL  

Caught the tail end of the Miss USA pageant last night, and was impressed that the the winner, who appeared to be bi-racial sported her natural curly hair.   But I LOVED when the reigning Miss USA walked out rocking her kinky curly natural do in all it's glory.  She was stunning.  

Why do you assume the winner of Miss USA is biracial? Is it her hair? 

As for the former that was hair in all its kinky glory? It looked like she blow dried it and teased it.

Edited by In2You
6 minutes ago, In2You said:

As for the former that was hair in all its kinky glory? It looked like she blow dried it and teased it.

For the former Miss USA - well, she didn't have it bone straight... and judging by the texture of it, I don't think she has a relaxer.  But it was teased - it looked to me like she did a roller set or a twist out and then they teased and curled it after that.

Both ladies were gorgeous though - loved the diversity in the top 5.  That's gotta be a record.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, phoenics said:

For the former Miss USA - well, she didn't have it bone straight... and judging by the texture of it, I don't think she has a relaxer.  But it was teased - it looked to me like she did a roller set or a twist out and then they teased and curled it after that.

Both ladies were gorgeous though - loved the diversity in the top 5.  That's gotta be a record.

Her hair was obviously her natural hair but that wasn't her natural texture. I didn't like how it was done. It would've looked much better without all the manipulation to make it "passable". Hardly kinky glory.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, phoenics said:

I'm racking my brain to remember the last time I watched CBS... 

I wonder why that is.

I watch Elementary, Hawaii 5-0 (maybe not next season, though)  and Amazing Race.  I think I'm going to be doing a lot of Hulu and Netflix from here on.

54 minutes ago, In2You said:

Her hair was obviously her natural hair but that wasn't her natural texture. I didn't like how it was done. It would've looked much better without all the manipulation to make it "passable". Hardly kinky glory.

Hmmm that's not how I define natural texture.  I wear my hair in twist outs and I manipulate it a bit (no heat, just doing stuff to it) - I don't understand why that's wrong - except to say that you just didn't like the style?  That's fair.  But I still classify that as kinky glory because it's not heat or chemically treated.  YMMV.

44 minutes ago, jhlipton said:

I watch Elementary, Hawaii 5-0 (maybe not next season, though)  and Amazing Race.  I think I'm going to be doing a lot of Hulu and Netflix from here on.

I used to watch NCIS back in the day, but that was honestly on USA, lol.  Not even CBS.  I don't think I've watched CBS since I quit The Bold and The Beautiful nearly 8-10 years ago.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, In2You said:

I thought she appeared biracial.  I believe they mentioned that she was born in Europe (can't remember the country) and her mother was from that country.  That plus the hair and features, and seemingly conservative political views made me think biracial.   

By kinky glory I meant, that it appeared to be her natural hair.  No weave, no bone straight hair.  Hair texture like mine.  Hair not often viewed as appealing, appropriate or beautiful.  Not "pageant" hair.

There were several women of color in the top 10.  Nice to see such diversity of skin tone and hair.  

• Love 4
5 hours ago, After7Only said:

I thought she appeared biracial.  I believe they mentioned that she was born in Europe (can't remember the country) and her mother was from that country.  That plus the hair and features, and seemingly conservative political views made me think biracial.  

She was born in Europe because her family is a military family.  They never said her mother was from Europe. Conservative views makes someone biracial? 

• Love 4
(edited)
8 hours ago, After7Only said:

By kinky glory I meant, that it appeared to be her natural hair.  No weave, no bone straight hair.  Hair texture like mine.  Hair not often viewed as appealing, appropriate or beautiful.  Not "pageant" hair.

There were several women of color in the top 10.  Nice to see such diversity of skin tone and hair.  

Her views were really controversial - she said something like she wasn't a feminist because she didn't hate men?  That sounded like it came straight out of a very extreme right playbook.  I thought it cost her the crown, but no...

But anyway, here is her mother... https://www.instagram.com/p/BUFLdk7lnF_/?hl=en

Can't find any info on her dad other than he is/was military and named Artensal McCullough.

Edited by phoenics
6 hours ago, In2You said:

She was born in Europe because her family is a military family.  They never said her mother was from Europe. Conservative views makes someone biracial? 

Ummm...no.   Nor does being biracial make someone conservative.  Nor is there anything wrong with being conservative or biracial or black.  It appears you're trying to make a larger point, but I'm not sure what that is.    My original point was about the natural curly/kinky hair worn by the former and current Miss USA, and how positive it was to see in a beauty pageant.     

• Love 3
(edited)
On 5/14/2017 at 9:32 PM, DearEvette said:

On a better note, I am in the middle of watching Master of None. [snip]

One of the things I noticed about the show this season so far is that a lot of the episodes feature  WOC as characters in the story, in many cases as romantic interests or objects of desire.  White women are not the default and in fact are not overly represented.  This is so refreshing to me.

Well, people complained to Aziz after season 1 about this, and he certainly listened.  In Season 1 Aziz's character only had white love interests, didn't he?  He might have dated one east Asian woman on a blind date that lasted about 5 minutes.

On 5/15/2017 at 1:04 AM, selkie said:

I do think CBS is worse because the traditional networks were supposed to have more diverse programming for all types of viewers while many cable/satellite channels are more targeted with the viewers they're trying to reach and the type of content they're creating and broadcasting. 

Gotta binge on 'Master of None' over the next few days because I really enjoyed the first season, and I'm not usually a big sitcom viewer. 

I think it's a dramedy - a hybrid of comedy and drama.  Hey, I love sitcoms but there are sitcoms (The Office, That 70s Show, Seinfeld) and then there are dramedies (Sex and the City, Gilmore Girls, Master of None.)

Regarding CBS - I do love Survivor - and it's quite a multiracial show - it better fucking be, after 34 seasons or whatever.  Speaking of American audience biases, the difference between a thread like this and the Survivor threads here are night and day.  The comments you'll read about the Asian, black, and Latinx contestants in the threads here.... Hooooooooooo boy.  One poster literally threw out Ching Chong slurs.  (Until it was reported and deleted, but still.  These kind of sentiments pop up every episode.)

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, After7Only said:

Ummm...no.   Nor does being biracial make someone conservative.  Nor is there anything wrong with being conservative or biracial or black.  It appears you're trying to make a larger point, but I'm not sure what that is.    My original point was about the natural curly/kinky hair worn by the former and current Miss USA, and how positive it was to see in a beauty pageant.     

You said she appeared to be biracial based off having curly hair which plenty of non biracial have and conservative views. Conservative views have nothing to do with race.

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Well, people complained to Aziz after season 1 about this, and he certainly listened.  In Season 1 Aziz's character only had white love interests, didn't he?  He might have dated one east Asian woman on a blind date that lasted about 5 minutes.

Then yeah this does seem like it gets addresses.  I mean, he does still fall in love with a white woman -- which imo is the weakest subplot of the whole series and kills the momentum of the series in the last two episodes -- but  he gets infatuated with a black British woman with whom he shares an impromptu meal in a very charming episode and there is an episode completely dedicated to nothing a series of dates he has with various women from a dating app he is on.  They are all races but I think there are more Indian women, or at least the time we spend most heavily is with the Indian women, they were the most memorable.  And Condola Rashad makes a return appearance as one of his dates.   We also find out that the great love of his friend's Arthur's life is a WOC whom we meet in the second episode.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, In2You said:

You said she appeared to be biracial based off having curly hair which plenty of non biracial have and conservative views. Conservative views have nothing to do with race.

Okay. You've made your point now. That was fun. 

• Love 3

I saw this on Deadline:

Get Out writer-director Jordan Peele’s Monkeypaw Productions is teaming with J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot and Warner Bros Television on Lovecraft Country, a one-hour drama that has been given a straight-to-series order by HBO .... The goal is an anthological horror series that reclaims genre storytelling from the African-American perspective.

Could be interesting, especially considering that Lovecraft was himself racist.

On 5/11/2017 at 4:10 PM, jhlipton said:

I liked Shots Fired, but was wondering what they'd do for a second season -- it would almost certainly be just Preston and Ashe (not that I have a problem with that).

Shots Fired according is only supposed to be a one time ten episode show. It was never supposed to have a second season. I've enjoyed it.

• Love 2
(edited)

You know what I notice, I've never really seen a super couple that was Asian, African-American, Hispanic etc... basically I don't think I've ever seen the rise of a same race, minority super couple on any drama that I've watched in my life time. Maybe it exist, with all these shows out there now, with shorter seasons including those online, I can't keep up, so maybe I've missed it? Well there use to be Angie and Jessie from All My Children back in the day, but they still took a back seat to Greg and Jenny. They still weren't the number one super couple on the show, they came sorta close thought. But other than that couple I can't recall any others.  I also feel that Asians and even more so south Asians are still really underrepresented. Grey's Anatomy has been on for going close to two damn decades and I have yet to see a south Asian as even a half-way decent recurring character on that show. Really? A show about characters who work in the medical field, surgeons, and no doctors of south Asian descent, come on Shonda. Although I was happy with Cristina Yang in terms of the pacific Asian representation, but I pretty much  stopped watching regularly after she left, because they refused to use the one brown, skinned black actress they had on there. They couldn't even adequately use the lighter skinned black actress they had, she's Meredith's half sister, whatever, ugh. Bailey was always the mammy character which annoyed the shit out of me so I could never get into any of her love interest pairings. Walking around Seattle Grace giving advice, has a kid, is married but their is little to no time given to her love story, except when they were ready to divorce her, yeah. Then she got remarried, but still, not enough focus or time put into it so. I also hate the black female characters that only play the friend, to the white female characters, done, done with it. The black female character is there for the white female character to listen to all her personal relationship woes and joys, but the black female character has none of that in her own life, yeah, done. 

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, jhlipton said:

Could be interesting, especially considering that Lovecraft was himself racist.

The show is based on the book Lovecraft Country by Matt Ruff who's work was inspired by Lovecraft's work but is about the terrors African Americans s experienced under Jim Crow.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 3/6/2017 at 9:03 PM, jhlipton said:

Someone posted the example of the couple arrested for making racist threats at a child's birthday party.  Unlike the blacks who were killed by police, they showed the couple in tears. That's what systemic racism looks like.  When Conway says that HBCUs were "schools of choice" or when Ben Carson says that slaves were "immigrants", that's what systemic racism sounds like.

Casting a black woman as the witch who is killed in the first half-hour of a show, and not as the dark witch is what systemic racism looks like (picture of who the Witch of the West should have been attached).

But mention any of this to the "I am not a racist" crowd and they'll ask why you have to bring race into everything.

witch of the west.jpg

Please, every American who knows American history and isn't in denial (AKA)using alternative facts, should refrain from asking that question with a straight face.  Why??? Maybe use the word Does race play into this particular situation? But to ask "Why?" with the racist history in this country? Yeah, you can give that a rest.

My response is always that race will be brought up when speaking on the topic of things in popular culture each time, one does not feel represented. Forget the word diversity, it's really the word representation as the actor Riz Ahmed put it. If you don't see yourself represented time and time again especially in the midst of all this "diversity" talk, then yeah, you're going to bitch about race and/or whatever else represents you that you are NOT seeing in popular culture. People are now pissed at ABC because they took off that Tim Allen show, they are pissed because that show represents them and they feel it's one of the few shows on the network that does. 

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Keepitmoving said:

You know what I notice, I've never really seen a super couple that was Asian, African-American, Hispanic etc... basically I don't think I've ever seen the rise of a same race, minority super couple on any drama that I've watched in my life time.

There was Undercovers, with Gugu Mbatha-Raw and Boris Kodjoe, which I thought was smart and sexy, but it didn't last long. And I fell in love with Gugu Mbatha-Raw after seeing that.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Jaded said:

Go fuck yourself, Moonves! Seriously. One black lead in the new pilots (who is Shemar Moore, a known CBS actor so it's not like they took a huge risk on this one), no other people of colour and no women and you're telling me I should be cool with it because if I pay for All Access I get Star Trek. Add to that the "we make so many pilots and the fact that all are new shows are about white men is because those just happen to be better" bs and I cannot roll my eyes hard enough. I do think the CW is better at diversity than CBS, as is All Access and Showtime but it's very telling that the network channel is so fucking white and male.

• Love 5

Regarding the cancellation of Pitch, 

I suppose what disappoints me most is that people of color didn’t support the show more. Here we had a black woman (biracial, whatever) at the center of a drama on FOX of all networks, and she wasn’t playing the sassy best friend, the faithful wife/girlfriend who doesn’t have a story of her own, and she wasn’t the judge or the police lieutenant—which seem like important roles, except they’re rarely more than peripheral characters. 

I wish black women, in particular, would have driven the show’s ratings the way we did for Empire and Scandal. Even if we weren’t sure what the show was, we should have checked out the first few episodes and realized that it wasn’t a boring mockumentary about baseball. It was so much more.

• Love 8

It was a great show and I was damned near evangelical in trying to convince black/brown friends to watch and support.

But honestly, the fact that Pitch was on Fox was the thing that made me reluctant to invest in the first place. I have a long and disappointing history with Fox's show cancellation policy - and the streak continues

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Oracle42 said:

But honestly, the fact that Pitch was on Fox was the thing that made me reluctant to invest in the first place. I have a long and disappointing history with Fox's show cancellation policy - and the streak continues

That's why I quit investing in shows for the most part on FOX too. Rosewood was the first show in a long time I paid attention to and they set it up to fail for it's 2nd season. 

I watched the first couple of episodes of Pitch. I admit to the fact that the flashback scene of the lead getting hit in the face by her father kinda turned me off a bit. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, In2You said:

Light skinned non biracial black folks  with curly hair exist. 

You literally described me. Happy to provide a picture. I just think the conservative stuff doesn't fit here.