Type keyword(s) to search

Race & Ethnicity On TV

Message added by Meredith Quill,

This is the place to discuss race and ethnicity issues related to TV shows only.

Go here for the equivalent movie discussions.

For general discussion without TV/Film context please use the Social Justice topic in Everything Else. 

• Start Topic

"High School Musical" Star Monique Coleman Revealed That Her Character Wore Headbands Because The Movie Couldn't Do Black Hair

I just will never understand hiring ahair stylist who can’t do a variety of hair types for tv and film.  Too many times do we hear stories like this. A person hired for hair or makeup should be highly skilled.   The fact that actresses of color have to take it upon themselves to find solutions is unfair.   

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Luckylyn said:

"High School Musical" Star Monique Coleman Revealed That Her Character Wore Headbands Because The Movie Couldn't Do Black Hair

I just will never understand hiring ahair stylist who can’t do a variety of hair types for tv and film.  Too many times do we hear stories like this. A person hired for hair or makeup should be highly skilled.   The fact that actresses of color have to take it upon themselves to find solutions is unfair.   

Sad... One.. Because that means women ( specifically afro-* insert nationality* women)  aren't being hired enough.. And also the women ( assumption being Caucasian)  being hired aren't either training themselves or getting trained on how to work with diff textured hair... By now you'd think at the bare minimum a producer or whoever is in charge of hiring staff would make sure if they have a diverse cast that they have hairstylists who can handle it

• Love 16

It is both.  It can be a closed union thing where a hair person has to have so many hours clocked in the industry in order to join the union.  But you can't get hired to clock those hours because you aren't IN the union.  And with most things the people who benefit the most are people for whom the industry was created and catered to and who have an in.

And once you are in, there is no incentive for you to try to learn different skills.  You are hired.  You are in a union.  So black hairstylists aren't given the in, and whilte hairstylists are not required to learn or improve.

Black actors with some clout have begun to bring in their own stylists and pay them themselves and that allows those stylists to begin clocking the necessary hours.  But it should not have to be that way.  Over the past year we have hear more and more actors speak out and hopefully the more people speak out the more traction this will get.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 23

Nothing about this issue makes any sense to me.

I've said it before in this thread I think, but I don't understand why a variety of hair textures aren't part of the hairdressing curricula at cosmetology schools. It sounds like some of these hairstylists have never been near a black person's head before. That shouldn't be the case.

I can't comprehend being hired to do a job for which I am unprepared and then not preparing myself once hired.

I also can't comprehend hiring someone to do hair without ensuring they can complete all of their tasks.

The mind boggles.

• Useful 1
  • Love 15

I haven't watched Bob Hearts Abishola (because -eh- Chuck Lorre) but this was a nice write-up and interview: 'Bob Hearts Abishola's Gina Yashere on Being Her Authentic Nigerian Self Before Hollywood Thought It Was Cool'

Yashere had been called in to consult for the series, a role she was ready to turn down out of fear that it was exploitative. “It’s like these three white guys — are they just trying to rape the culture and put out some bulls–t? I don’t want my name attached to it, and I don’t want to be taken advantage of, so I was sizing them up, and they were sizing me up,” Yashere says.

It wasn’t until she actually sat down with Lorre, who was receptive to her ideas, that she realized his true intent was just to make a really good show. The meeting also changed Lorre’s mind about Yashere’s role with the series. The mega producer initially asked her to be a consultant as a way of gauging whether or not he could tolerate being in the same room with her for more than a day. After the meeting, Lorre immediately hit up her agent with a counter-offer: Yashere would be co-creator, executive producer and writer for Bob Hearts Abishola. (She also co-stars as Abishola’s best friend Kemi.)

It may have been her first time creating a series, but Yashere says she wasn’t at all fearful of her new role and took to it “like a duck to water.” Empowered by her promotion, the genial entertainer also made it clear that she wanted at least half of the cast to be Black, and that the series would have Black writers attached. CBS has been heavily criticized for its lack of diversity both on screen and behind the scenes — the network recently announced a new initiative to commit at least 25% of its budgets to BIPOC creators for the 2021-2022 season — and Yashere looked to make her series more inclusive.

“I said to them, ‘Look, you discovered me. I’m not the only me out there. You’ve given me a fantastic opportunity, and I’d like to turn around and give back, bring in other people and give them the opportunity to succeed in this arena,'” the comedian says.

• Useful 7
  • Love 4

Why can't they *gasp* hire black hair stylists who also know how to do white hair? I guess that's just too crazy for Hollywood. 

Unfortunately there are probably White actors who would object to having a Black hair stylist. They'd probably find a way to couch it so it didn't sound racist but I bet it would happen.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Trini said:

I haven't watched Bob Hearts Abishola (because -eh- Chuck Lorre) but this was a nice write-up and interview: 'Bob Hearts Abishola's Gina Yashere on Being Her Authentic Nigerian Self Before Hollywood Thought It Was Cool'

Bob Hearts Abishola grew on me (I started watching since it was on after The Neighborhood). It's pretty formulaic but the representation seems pretty good, at least o me. I think most of the POC actors in the main cast are either from Nigeria or are of Nigerian descent. The cast has pretty good chemistry and one of the recent developments was having Bob's sister and brother (twins, white) show were rather useless, start interacting with the 2 guys who work on the warehouse floor (they play immigrants from Nigeria). These four together are hysterical. It also gave four characters who otherwise could have easily been trimmed off the show something to do. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Unfortunately there are probably White actors who would object to having a Black hair stylist. They'd probably find a way to couch it so it didn't sound racist but I bet it would happen.

Does anyone have any idea of how many white celebs have hairstylists of African descent? Come to think of it, I can't recall hearing of one.

• Love 3
On 2/7/2021 at 10:36 AM, Blergh said:

Does anyone have any idea of how many white celebs have hairstylists of African descent? Come to think of it, I can't recall hearing of one.

I know little to nothing regarding hairstyling, but pretty much the most famous and popular (among the celebs) make up artist of our times is a Black person: Pat McGrath. (I think she has her own line of make up out now).

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
On 2/9/2021 at 5:46 PM, isalicat said:

I know little to nothing regarding hairstyling, but pretty much the most famous and popular (among the celebs) make up artist of our times is a Black person: Pat McGrath. (I think she has her own line of make up out now).

She does, and her makeup is amazing. Her lipsticks are the best.

If you are a hair or makeup artist for a TV show or movie or runway event, you should be able to do EVERYONE'S hair or makeup. That's literally the hair/makeup person's job. I'm sure the job listing doesn't say "Makeup artist for white people." I've also heard of actors of color having to bring their own makeup to set, because they know the makeup artist won't have their shades. Also ridiculous.

• Love 7

So I caught Queen Latifah's new CBS show, a reboot of the Equalizer and I have to say that either she brought in her own hair person or she mos def had the clout to have a hairdresser that could do black hair cuz girlfriend's hair was LAID.

Probably the latter because the first episode had five WOC and the girl who played her daughter and Lorraine Toussaint were both rocking natural curls and they also looked good.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Useful 4
  • Love 8
19 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

So I caught Queen Latifah's new CBS show, a reboot of the Equalizer and I have to say that either she brought in her own hair person or she mos def had the clout to have a hairdresser that could do black hair cuz girlfriend's hair was LAID.

Probably the latter because the first episode had five WOC and the girl who played her daughter and Lorraine Toussaint were both rocking natural curls and they also looked good.

She is an executive producer on the show so she does have clout. The subject came up during press for the show. 
This Is Why Queen Latifah's Hair Has Been Laid From 'Living Single' To 'The Equalizer'

5 hours ago, Dani said:

She is an executive producer on the show so she does have clout. The subject came up during press for the show. 
This Is Why Queen Latifah's Hair Has Been Laid From 'Living Single' To 'The Equalizer'

Also the episode was pretty good... As I posted on the episode thread itself... I wish we could trade gwr daughter for tge Afro-latina she helped in the pilot... Cuz her daughter musta come from that Factory  tv shows go to buy the main characters teenage children.. Cuz.. Ugh... Also.. Can previously mentioned hair stylist take a run at Tory Kittles fro?..  It is not sitting right in my heart

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

There's a lot of stuff that I found disturbing re the original Magnum P.I. (mainly the fact that the title character killed multiples of folks- sometimes in a single episode with only the vaguest hints of any kind of prosecution or trials for them). However, for this thread, I'll concentrate on the show's evident xenophobia. This got exhibited in the episode in which he attempted to have his child's mother's estranged husband prosecuted for the woman's murder- and every single legal entity that thwarted that intent was  Asian- the defense attorney, the judge,etc. At one point, Magnum shouted to the judge  'You don't understand! These people. . .'( referring to defendant's Vietnamese background).  The judge, natch, let the perp go. The show made the case that justice for Magnum's beloved's murder was thwarted because of their Asian background so blatantly that I'm surprised they didn't have a crawler at the bottom of the screen saying ' These people are Asians who will protect their own- no matter how bad, so don't let them become lawyers or judges!' 

Yes, his beloved getting murdered was horrible and the perp needed prosecution but couldn't they have made the case without indulging in rather ugly xenophobia? 

Oh, it should be noted that his beloved Michelle  was Eurasian - half-French and half-Vietnamese (and an appearance-keeping Catholic)  and their daughter Lily was a quarter Vietnamese- yet the  audience was supposed to accept if not root for him dissing half and a quarter of his beloved's and their child's respective backgrounds. And for all his posturing about avenging his beloved's death and even after Magnum nearly died, he and the show barely gave a thought to how this young child whose mother had been murdered in front of her  was faring. They barely mentioned that the child  was 'safe' (evidently being cared for by someone completely unconnected to the mother's evil husband who she had left everyone believe until was the child's father).  And even the series finale celebrated him re-joining the US Navy at a rather advanced age instead of   actually taking time to raise his and his beloved's child who likely had been been traumatized by her mother's murder,etc. and needed him far more than the US Navy did. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 1

Just saw Prince Harry's appearance on the James Corden show, with a few seconds of Meghan, and I'm wondering if the hateful, racist British press is busy today writing "it's all Meghan's fault" editorials, with "Royalty experts" popping up on all of the British morning shows mouthing off about how undignified it was, and how Harry never would have done anything like this before he married the famewhore black woman. 

In case you didn't realize it, I'm not a big fan of the British press. Even worse, go to the comment sections of Brit newspapers, or YouTube videos of their shows, if you want to see that the average British viewers commenting are just as bad, just as racist, as their press. 

Cordon segment:

Edited by Kromm

Yup. Here's Good Morning Britain. Notice how the "Royal watchers" insist they were always nice to Meghan (the actual coverage doesn't support that) and basically blame HER for the change of attitude. 

And rewind a few days before the Cordon appearance.  Just on the subjects of Harry's status in the succession, and the upcoming Oprah interview, note the guest confront the disgusting Piers Morgan about his ongoing attitude (he once tried to ask Meghan out apparently, she rejected him, and he's hated her ever since). Piers bobs and weaves and initially insists this isn't even about Meghan, but you can see how insincere that is with how easily he's diverted into attacking her instead of Harry. 

• Love 1
On 2/26/2021 at 9:45 AM, Kromm said:

Yup. Here's Good Morning Britain. Notice how the "Royal watchers" insist they were always nice to Meghan (the actual coverage doesn't support that) and basically blame HER for the change of attitude. 

And rewind a few days before the Cordon appearance.  Just on the subjects of Harry's status in the succession, and the upcoming Oprah interview, note the guest confront the disgusting Piers Morgan about his ongoing attitude (he once tried to ask Meghan out apparently, she rejected him, and he's hated her ever since). Piers bobs and weaves and initially insists this isn't even about Meghan, but you can see how insincere that is with how easily he's diverted into attacking her instead of Harry. 

Mr. Morgan actually tried to make the case of the Sussexes having an interview with Miss Winfrey and a pic when announcing the Duchess's latest pregnancy somehow was on par with the Duke of York re being too unworthy to stay in the succession?! Talk about a bully blaming his victims!  YEESH! That guest absolutely nailed him and IMO she was far more polite than he deserved (and why he hasn't been booted from his TV platform for his vile tudes towards them and so many others, I'll never understand).  What's sad is that I was relieved that he didn't attempt to use any nasty ethnic slurs   against the guest but why should even the tiniest crumbs of civility somehow be considered  something   deigned to be  privileged by him instead of a given for how a person in a public forum conducts oneself? 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 2

Sewage continues to erupt out of Piers Morgan's mouth about a woman of color he supposedly doesn't have a grudge against...

These are ALL in the past two days.   Good Morning Britain has transformed into being ALL about this.

Piers and Susanna Clash Over Prince Harry & Meghan Ahead of Their TV Interview

Piers Erupts at Prince Harry & Meghan's Oprah Winfrey Interview 

Heated Clash Over Whether Prince Harry and Meghan Are Destroying Their Right to Privacy

I’m not familiar with Susanna but I have to admit I did enjoy her snarking at Piers, and her push back against what he said.

Also her facial expressions were awesome.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

Susanna loathes Piers, but she likes her job so she has to keep working with him.

You guys know more about what happens on Good Morning Britain than I do and I live here! I never, ever watch it. *shudders at the thought*

It used to be a decent breakfast show...

Edited by Llywela
  • LOL 4
7 minutes ago, Llywela said:

Susanna loathes Piers, but she likes her job so she has to keep working with him.

I actually DO hope she's well paid.  I mean it's hazard pay.  Imagine having to sit across from that doughy, disgusting stomach turning creature every day.

I posted this in the Superman & Lois media thread but a discussion on it probably fits better here:

New interview with Nadria Tucker, the writer who was let go after raising issues with TPTB on race and other issues. Everything I've seen on this focuses mainly on Captain Luthor but they should probably also mention that the only? other Black character is Sarah's boyfriend who has been angry and violent every time we've see him.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, akg said:

I posted this in the Superman & Lois media thread but a discussion on it probably fits better here:

I saw that interview and this line took me out

“I said, ‘You know, this is not a good look. You want to have representation so that people of color are not only depicted as the villains,’” Tucker recalled. “And Todd [Helbing] responded with, ‘We’ll see what we can do. We may have to ship them in because there are not a lot of Black people in Canada [where the show was filmed].’”

I know that in order to qualify for tax credits in Vancouver (where the show was being filmed) they have to have a certain percentage of people working on the show being from Canada but it isn't a huge percent, I think less than 30%.  And I believe that includes pre- and post production work (like script writing, editing) so that percentage doesn't necessarily have to all come from front of camera talent.

Meanwhile, The Flash doesn't seem to have problems getting black Canadians in front of the camera.

• Love 8

In pro wrestling news, this year's WWE Wrestlemania will feature two African-American women. Sasha Banks will be defending her title against Bianca Belair. You may say so what? Wrestlers fight every week. Yes, but WM is the biggest show of the biggest company of the year. They won't be the absolute headline match, but it's a hell of a vote of confidence.

If the name Sasha Banks sounds familiar, that's the stage name of Mercedes Varnado, who was recently on The Mandalorian. She's really going places these days. Also, she's related to Snoop Dogg, Brandy, and Ray J. Given that they all have different last names, I'm guessing it's via their mothers.

Their prime competitor, All Elite Wrestling may in fact have gone a step further. Brandi Rhodes is the chief brand officer, and married to Cody Rhodes, making her one of the five most powerful people in the company. Trivia: she's the daughter in law of Dusty Rhodes, who was paired up for a time with Juanita 'Sapphire' Wright.

I'm not African-American or a woman, but it's a good time to be one in pro wrestling.

• Useful 4
  • Love 7
On 3/2/2021 at 7:07 PM, Kromm said:

I actually DO hope she's well paid.  I mean it's hazard pay.  Imagine having to sit across from that doughy, disgusting stomach turning creature every day.

She took the big payday from ITV, after establishing herself on BBC Breakfast, where she and co-host Bill Turnbull clearly had a great rapport and friendship. I assume she knew that the money would come with Piers Morgan attached.

And, so this is topic relevant, Reid was replaced on BBC Breakfast by Naga Munchetty, who is really great. She famously garnered a load of complaints from reactionary viewers when she criticised Donald Trump's comments about how certain Democratic congresswomen should "go back to where they came from."

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 3/3/2021 at 6:30 PM, akg said:

New interview with Nadria Tucker, the writer who was let go after raising issues with TPTB on race and other issues. Everything I've seen on this focuses mainly on Captain Luthor but they should probably also mention that the only? other Black character is Sarah's boyfriend who has been angry and violent every time we've see him.

It's just sad that she was let go, because she's actually trying to help the show (and this particular showrunner who is tone-deaf to Black issues) by pointing out those things.

----

In other CW news; keep an eye out for Kung Fu. It hasn't aired yet, so I don't know how good or bad it will be, but it's one of the few broadcast network shows (ever) with a majority Asian-American cast, and it has an Asian-American showrunner.

https://forums.primetimer.com/forum/4689-kung-fu-2021/

Edited by Trini
grrr grammar
  • Useful 4
  • Love 2
(edited)

Piers is at it again, with the very suspect and oh so conveniently timed anonymous complaints that Meghan Markle "bullied" Palace staff by doing unconscionable things like sending emails to staffers in the middle of the night.

They're all too happy to imply it means she insisted they be acted on in the middle of the night, when that's totally unclear--it really seems like they're trying to gaslight her and discredit her with vague accusations. I mean think about it.  If this actually DID happen (unlikely) it would have been two years ago, and it "leaks" now?  Days before her Interview? 

Piers, and the rest of the Brit Press have gone even MORE insane with attacks on her.  I won't even embed videos. If you want to kill your brain (just for the Piers part of this) just look at the roster of most recent videos on the Good Morning Britain YouTube channel:  https://youtube.com/c/gmb

Edited by Kromm
On 3/3/2021 at 8:35 PM, DearEvette said:

Meanwhile, The Flash doesn't seem to have problems getting black Canadians in front of the camera.

True. But they can't use the same actors, at least for speaking roles. 

(edited)
10 hours ago, Kromm said:

True. But they can't use the same actors, at least for speaking roles. 

I don't think DearEvette was implying that the black actors on The Flash are the only black actors in Canada. And I seriously doubt they are the only black actors in Canada. 

Edited by topanga
  • Love 2

As per this article from a year ago:

I should make a very obvious point, belatedly, here: that Morgan is never alone at his Good Morning Britain desk (though he sometimes seems to believe himself to be). He is, for a start, not there at all on Thursdays and Fridays, or over the weekend. And beside him, from Monday to Wednesday, sits the unflappably charming and sane Susanna Reid, winner of numerous awards for television valour. Reid is paid more than £1m a year; leaving aside the manifest absurdity of that wage, there can hardly be a regular viewer of Good Morning Britain who does not entertain the idea that she earns every penny.

Also this made me chuckle:

• Useful 6
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, Kromm said:

A million pounds a year to be treated like furniture, basically... 

Piers Morgan treats everyone like a piece of furniture unless he's actively targeting them for harassment. He's a narcissist and always has been - his opinion is the only thing worth hearing and he simply can't comprehend anyone reasonable not wanting to bask in his wisdom.

If they do challenge him, then he turns into a playground bully and harasses them on social media to the point that they contemplate suicide - Jameela Jamil admitted this the other day. Funnily enough, another outspoken woman of colour. He's the unchecked id of the entitled, toxic male.

While I'm sure she can't stand him, I do think that Susannah Reid's role here is somewhat performative. She's there to make it clear to people that "oh, that's Piers just being Piers. Isn't he a tit? Keep watching, though, because the rest of us are okay."

Also, Morgan has the rare boast of being someone who both Jeremy Clarkson and Ian Hislop utterly despise. And the one person Clarkson famously punched before the incident that cost him his Top Gear role.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Also, Morgan has the rare boast of being someone who both Jeremy Clarkson and Ian Hislop utterly despise. And the one person Clarkson famously punched before the incident that cost him his Top Gear role.

Jeremy Clarkson was the second person I thought of when Piers left. I thought to myself, "Jezza is somewhere looking incredibly smug right now."

• Love 1

I mean...  There is so much wrong to unpack in that video clip.  Sharon Osborne's strident voice, demanding that Sherryl educate her about racism on the fly, telling Sheryl she is 'not allowed' to cry while preparing to weaponize her own tears.  That was bad enough.  But to then watch as Elaine (rendered silent) and Sheryl have to tap dance over eggshells while trying to speak and choose their words and tones wisely so as not to come off as angry black women.  The optics of the loud, demanding Sharon who was all but figuratively snapping her fingers in a 'hey, you girl' way at Sheryl vs. the careful, soothing tones of Sheryl who was all but figuratively stroking Sharon's ego was hard to see.  Damn.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 11

I didn't watch that whole clip but I feel like Sharon Osbourne thinks (or wants people to think she thinks) that if you're not outright using racial slurs or calling for the reinstitution of the triangle trade then you're not saying anything racist.

• Love 10
10 minutes ago, janie jones said:

I didn't watch that whole clip but I feel like Sharon Osbourne thinks (or wants people to think she thinks) that if you're not outright using racial slurs or calling for the reinstitution of the triangle trade then you're not saying anything racist.

They tried to explain that's not true to her (after she insisted being told what "Piers said" that was racist). 

The whole notion that a behavior can be racist, rather than words, seemed completely beyond her.  Or in Piers Morgan's case, a pattern. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Kromm said:

They tried to explain that's not true to her (after she insisted being told what "Piers said" that was racist). 

The whole notion that a behavior can be racist, rather than words, seemed completely beyond her.  Or in Piers Morgan's case, a pattern. 

That's been a logical fallacy that has pushed for years now - "you can only be racist if you use the N-word." Anything less than that can be explained away and "whatabouted" until people give up trying to argue with you.

The likes of Fox News push this line all the time, while trying to discount the idea that systemic racism exists at all.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 11

I haven’t been able to stand Sharon since she joked about firing an assistant for complaining about having to run into a burning building. 
She later defended herself by saying it was an exaggeration and the assistant wasn’t fired after he did ran into the burning building to save her art collection when she told him to. Clearly she can’t recognize abusive behavior. 

10 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

That's been a logical fallacy that has pushed for years now - "you can only be racist if you use the N-word." Anything less than that can be explained away and "whatabouted" until people give up trying to argue with you.

The likes of Fox News push this line all the time, while trying to discount the idea that systemic racism exists at all.

Yes!! I am so tired of seeing people claim something isn’t racist unless it involves someone in a white sheet, holding a noose, and yelling the N-word. Anything short of that can be excused. Watching people spew logical fallacy after logical fallacy is infuriating. 

It particularly amazes me when people who are not part of the group being impacting thinks they get to decide whether or not something is racist. Watching a white woman try to school a black woman on racism is always mind boggling to me. How does anyone have that little self-awareness? 

Edited by Guest
15 hours ago, Dani said:

Watching a white woman try to school a black woman on racism is always mind boggling to me. How does anyone have that little self-awareness? 

To be honest, it makes perfect sense to me. White people (in the U.S. anyway, and probably other places) have been raised to believe that they don't have a race, and/or that racism doesn't affect them. So they (many of them) believe, since they are outside race, they can approach it objectively. When you add defensiveness into the mix, there's almost no reason, in their eyes, for such a person not to lecture a nonwhite person on racism.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
7 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Interesting, because the full wording there makes it clear that someone more self aware than Sharon (Kelly maybe?) reminded her that even if you debate Piers' racism, his years long pattern of attack on Markle is still undeniably sexism and bullying. So using the technicality that he didn't use certain racist words fails anyway, because that includes her supporting his sexism and overt bullying. 

But... he's a racist. He's extra aggressive to women of color. Ask Jameela Jamil. And so is Sharon.  Ask the "ghetto" squad she's disliked. 

• Love 15

I know we're all TIRED of Piers Morgan, but he keeps offending... 

Under the headings of "Are you kidding?" and "I have a black friend", look what he changed his Twitter Avatar to:

Screenshot_20210313-110946.jpg

• Love 3