Type keyword(s) to search

Race & Ethnicity On TV

Message added by Meredith Quill,

This is the place to discuss race and ethnicity issues related to TV shows only.

Go here for the equivalent movie discussions.

For general discussion without TV/Film context please use the Social Justice topic in Everything Else. 

• Start Topic

Wendell Pierce is a great actor. What I find interesting though was that his most famous role is one where two of the main characters were British actors playing American characters. Did he make any comments like this during his time on The Wire or was that different because he would be speaking out against his own bosses and co-workers?

1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Wendell Pierce is a great actor. What I find interesting though was that his most famous role is one where two of the main characters were British actors playing American characters. Did he make any comments like this during his time on The Wire or was that different because he would be speaking out against his own bosses and co-workers?

It’s seems that Pierce’s main objection is Ben-Adir’s suggestion that AA’s couldn’t possible comprehend what it was like for Black British people but that he perfectly understands what it is to be a Black American. That’s insulting on so many levels and probably enough to piss most American actors off even if they normally don’t give a shit. 

None of that would apply to The Wire whose creator did not want to cast anyone British. Idris Elba has said that he had to pretend to be American until the fourth audition. Plus the whole not real people factor with The Wire. 

Edited by Guest
9 hours ago, Enigma X said:

I love me some (certain) British TV, but I have said about 2 to 3 years ago in the the TV UO forum that many people think that just because a TV show is from Britain it is automatically better than every American show ever made. They seem to forget that Britain gave us the original Big Brother (for example) and lots of other not-so-great TV. 

I think both places produce great actors, TV, and films and equally think they both produce mediocre to shit actors, TV, and films. Some people won't admit the latter.

Yes, I think the problem is it is easier to be aware of shitty TV in one's own country and see a skewed representation of the quality of other countries' content when it is imported because it is usually going to be the better stuff that makes its way across. If all you see of American TV is prestige TV, you may not realize how much crap is on American TV and the same is true of British TV and European TV in general. 

I've seen interviews with Brits who rave about American shows like Breaking Bad and the Wire and complain about what they see is the relative safeness of British television. But they're, presumably, not seeing all the shitty network TV and soap operas and other stuff we produce and basing their opinion on a small number of shows. And as much as I enjoy British TV, I agree that many Americans are doing the same thing--judging their content on a relatively small amount of material.

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 1
  • Love 12
22 hours ago, Dani said:

It’s seems that Pierce’s main objection is Ben-Adir’s suggestion that AA’s couldn’t possible comprehend what it was like for Black British people but that he perfectly understands what it is to be a Black American.

Black American actor no less.  The irony is, the same false impression he thinks black actors have which irritates him (that he had a high class life) is pretty much the same false impression that irritates black American actors. 

Black Americans have been talking about their perception that TPTB see Africans and black actors from other countries as "better" or "higher class" than their black American counterparts for a while.  That's what Ben-Adir seems to be missing in the criticism.  His non-Americanism is giving him a privilege he might not realize he has in Hollywood but black Americans have seen in practice when they're passed over for non-American POC actors.   But pointing that out doesn't take away from other very real struggles he has had in his life.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 16

I went and read the entire article.   And almost the second sentence we are told he is 'classically trained.'

But the thing that kills me is the interviewer asked him a very open ended question about playing two American icons and was he prepared for the backlash?  He had the opportunity to give a thoughtful answer but he went straight to a rather offensive generalization of what 'black Americans believe.'

Meanwhile he later talks about his lack of opportunities in the UK.  If he had used that as his answer rather than going on the offensive like he did, he probably would not have gotten the response he has. And rather than adding more wood to a banked fire, he would have  given it some additional perspective so the conversation can shift and become more about the lack of opportunities all around.

And listen, I’ll just keep it mad real with you: There is no career for me in this country. There is no work. I haven’t read a good script with a leading role or a decent solid role coming out of the U.K. for me in two years, and I went through my emails yesterday to make sure that that was fact. I spent my early 20s waiting to get to 30 so I could come to America and play interesting parts. They send me “Gangs of London” here, and I’m supposed to get excited? You get a few scenes in a show on ITV and you’re supposed to be grateful?

The opportunities here for me don’t really exist; they never knew what to do with me. I’d fly to New York to meet with Ang Lee and then come back to London for an audition for “Holby City.” That’s the difference. And I could go on, I could write a 10,000-word document on the difference between the industry here and the opportunities in America. And it’s like, what am I supposed to do?

• Love 8
On 9/7/2020 at 3:19 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

I'm not sure if you read all of his tweets, but it's clear that his issue is more Ben-Adir's arrogance and off putting comments than him playing AA legends.  If Ben-Adir's comments had been better, it's likely WP wouldn't have said a word.

Edited by phoenics
  • Love 6
18 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Meanwhile he later talks about his lack of opportunities in the UK.  If he had used that as his answer rather than going on the offensive like he did, he probably would not have gotten the response he has.

I remember a few years ago David Harewood gave an interview where he said the same thing (without the offensive stuff).  He said that here he can play generals and senators and such and never had those opportunities in the UK.

• Love 3

While I don't know if British black actors should turn down roles in the US, I do wish they would look at the privilege being extended to them and the unearned assumption that they are "better" and "more trained" than ADOS actors.  In the same way I would expect white actors to look twice if they were asked to play a role that a POC should play (looking at you Scarlett Johanson), black British actors should pause as well when they get offered roles playing legendary ADOS black people.

It's a really complex topic.  I can't help compare this to times of Jim Crow where American black people had to sit in the colored section, but black people from other countries didn't (as long as they were recognized as being foreign).  Even in the deep Alabama south.

And while I don't know if black Brits should turn down roles - I at least wish they would stop pretending like they aren't benefitting from a sort of class privilege here in the US.

• Love 13
19 hours ago, phoenics said:

It's a really complex topic.  I can't help compare this to times of Jim Crow where American black people had to sit in the colored section, but black people from other countries didn't (as long as they were recognized as being foreign).  Even in the deep Alabama south.

And while I don't know if black Brits should turn down roles - I at least wish they would stop pretending like they aren't benefitting from a sort of class privilege here in the US.

Here's my thing.  I doubt that an ADOS actor would be asked to play James Bond.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Why the reason for the distinction? Would a black person whose ancestors were slaves experience racism significantly differently than someone who's parents were say Rwandan refugees?

Well, for one thing- an adult refugee or immigrant from anywhere may very well experience racism. However, they each  made a choice to decide to move to another land. Whereas  slaves of all ages were given no choice whatsoever but were all brought to the US among other nations against their will!

• Love 9
5 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Why the reason for the distinction? Would a black person whose ancestors were slaves experience racism significantly differently than someone who's parents were say Rwandan refugees?

Here's the thing.  A person who is ADOS had to deal with slavery/reconstruction/Jim Crow/lynching/convict leasing/Tulsa Riots/Rosewood.  And that shit happened in America.  It's about lineage, not skin color.

• Love 14

In some good behind the scenes news, Araxi Lindsey, the lead hairstylist on Black-ish just won an Emmy for for outstanding contemporary hair-styling for "Hair Day" an episode that focused on Diane's hair.  Honestly, this particular episode could not have happened and still felt visually authentic without a black hairstylist because the themes of the show go beyond just how the hair looks, but also the attitudes, culture and politics of black women's hair and the specific language used when talking about black hair and black hair care.  There is a video about her creative process in the episode.

• Useful 1
  • Love 18
15 hours ago, DearEvette said:

In some good behind the scenes news, Araxi Lindsey, the lead hairstylist on Black-ish just won an Emmy for for outstanding contemporary hair-styling for "Hair Day" an episode that focused on Diane's hair.  Honestly, this particular episode could not have happened and still felt visually authentic without a black hairstylist because the themes of the show go beyond just how the hair looks, but also the attitudes, culture and politics of black women's hair and the specific language used when talking about black hair and black hair care.  There is a video about her creative process in the episode.

That’s great. I haven’t watched Black-ish in about two seasons because I can’t stand Andre anymore or the way Junior and Rainbow have been written lately. Hair Day sounds like the kind of episode I loved in the early seasons. 

• Love 3
On 9/22/2020 at 10:07 PM, phoenics said:

Sometimes certain people need to just shut the eff up about certain topics and stay the eff in their lane.

Ugh seriously. I'm white but I'd never presume to act like I knew what anyone would want to watch based on race. 

• Love 5

I don't watch the Bachelor/Bachelorette franchise but I am familiar with the history on diversity. I just saw a promo for the upcoming season of The Bachelorette. Lots of drama etc. At one point the narrator says that it is the most shocking moment in franchise history and my first thought was "Wait, she picks the brother?"

I'm sure I'm wrong about that, but for a brief fraction of a second, they got my attention.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, xaxat said:

At one point the narrator says that it is the most shocking moment in franchise history and my first thought was "Wait, she picks the brother?"

Every season is the most shocking moment in franchise history (a running joke on the Bachelor Franchise forums). None of yet has been shocking.

Wouldn’t it be awesome If it was shocking and the brother was picked.

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, xaxat said:

At one point the narrator says that it is the most shocking moment in franchise history and my first thought was "Wait, she picks the brother?"

Ha. 

35 minutes ago, Stats Queen said:

Every season is the most shocking moment in franchise history (a running joke on the Bachelor Franchise forums). None of yet has been shocking.

True.  But part of that is because it's pretty easy to find out what happens ahead of time. And that statement is rarely about the choice.  It's usually about a fight between contestants.  Or some secret that comes out.  "OMG, bachelor had a girlfriend before he came on this show and is only interested in being on TV. He's here for the "wrong" reasons."

So shocking. Not.

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

True.  But part of that is because it's pretty easy to find out what happens ahead of time. And that statement is rarely about the choice.  It's usually about a fight between contestants.  Or some secret that comes out.  "OMG, bachelor had a girlfriend before he came on this show and is only interested in being on TV. He's here for the "wrong" reasons."

So shocking. Not.

This. I have not watched or followed the show in years and I still know what the twist is just from headlines. 

On 10/5/2020 at 10:54 PM, xaxat said:

The other side of this coin is that IF that was the "shocking" thing, we would have to ask ourselves - WHY IS THAT SHOCKING?  Like a black guy is an alien and it's oh so shocking if he's picked?  Yes, we'd be shocked because it never happens, but it would still be in poor taste of the show to call it shocking.

• Love 3
On 10/5/2020 at 9:54 PM, xaxat said:

I don't watch the Bachelor/Bachelorette franchise but I am familiar with the history on diversity. I just saw a promo for the upcoming season of The Bachelorette. Lots of drama etc. At one point the narrator says that it is the most shocking moment in franchise history and my first thought was "Wait, she picks the brother?"

I'm sure I'm wrong about that, but for a brief fraction of a second, they got my attention.

Not that I have any use for that show (or concept) but if they didn't want to risk the possibility of a chooser choosing someone of another ethnicity/ pigmentation, then why did they have at least one  of the contestants in the running be of another ethnicity/pigmentation? Talk about putting the Forbidden Fruit Tree smack in the middle of Garden! 

On 10/5/2020 at 10:54 PM, xaxat said:

I am familiar with the spoilers and that's not what they mean (Bachelorette spoilers below:

Spoiler

Clare does pick the biracial guy, but the shocking part is that she's so "in love" that she makes her final choice and quits filming after two weeks (in real time, but it's expected to take up 4-5 episodes) . Allegedly, they get engaged. The season continues with another former Bachelor contestant brought in as a new lead, Tayshia. She's biracial (I'm not totally sure how she identifies racially, but her dad is Black and her mom is Latinx).

But when every season is "the most shocking ever" and the franchise's overall track record with diversity record is terrible, people are going to figure the show is operating in bad faith.

Similarly, people looked askance at Matt James being announced as the first Black Bachelor this summer, and said ABC was only picked him because of the Bachelor Diversity Campaign and the Black Lives Matter movement. I'm sure those were factors, but he was originally going to be part of this Bachelorette season that was supposed to start filming in March. When the cast got announced, fans wondered if Matt was really there as an audition to be the next Bachelor, as the show has overwhelmingly picked runners up of a prior season as the next lead. The producers felt that the audience would be more invested to watch the new "journey" of someone they'd gotten to know vs. some random person who was supposedly a great catch.

From a ratings standpoint, it makes sense to turn your reality dating franchise into an interconnected soap opera. The problem of that approach with respect to racial diversity was that most leads were white and primarily attracted to other white people, so the non-white contestants generally didn't get as much airtime. They often only lasted a few weeks into the season, lowering their odds to be the next Bachelor/ette, based on the show's criteria. That's not to say that even within that limited framework, the show didn't have their chances over the years to be more diverse than they were, and declined. 

Edited by Dejana
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Blergh said:

Not that I have any use for that show (or concept) but if they didn't want to risk the possibility of a chooser choosing someone of another ethnicity/ pigmentation, then why did they have at least one  of the contestants in the running be of another ethnicity/pigmentation? Talk about putting the Forbidden Fruit Tree smack in the middle of Garden! 

Tokenism. People are attracted to who they are attracted to and the Bachelor series clearly picks white people who are attracted to white people. Placing a few minorities in a sea of white people is not going to turn them into “forbidden fruit”. It causes them to be overlooked and quickly eliminated because they aren’t the leads type. They are only there so the show can put a checkmark in the diversity box. 

4 hours ago, Blergh said:

That's not how attraction, and who we're told should be attractive, works.  In a group of 10 women, you can have 9 similar looking blondes and 1 black woman and the bachelor can still see the unique beauty of the 9 similar looking blondes and eliminate the black woman.  That's not all the time but it has certainly happened. 

With bachelorettes, you'll notice that Asian men rarely go very far. 

Producers can also influence what happens with the casting. There's the attractive but boring cannon fire they select which allows the real contenders to stick around longer for the lead and the dumpster-fire drama-creators around longer for the producers. 

When they cast, they always choose a few people who they think could lead the next cycle if they aren't ultimately chosen.  All that person needs to do is basically reach the final four and producers can influence who makes it to the final four as the lead usually has only about one or two or maybe three who they feel really stands a chance.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 9

Beg to dissent/differ. With seven billion humans out there, there's FAR more than ONE reason folks get attracted to others (or aren't attracted to others). In fact, I think it's likely closer to seven billion reasons. IOW, in any group of random folks, there will be some who WILL be attracted to those who have differing ethnicity/pigmentation to them BECAUSE they are the Forbidden Fruit . Hence, for the Bachelor/Bachelorette  shows to put minorities on and then act as though this phenom of some finding someone of a different background alluring instead of unappealing had never before happened in human history was rather mawkish hypocrisy, IMO! Still, I disliked the entire concept  of folks  treating strangers as though they were trying to pick out a fave bon-bon out of a chocolate box and never bothered watching it so this by no means lowered my expectations or respect for the show! 

36 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Beg to dissent/differ. With seven billion humans out there, there's FAR more than ONE reason folks get attracted to others (or aren't attracted to others). In fact, I think it's likely closer to seven billion reasons. IOW, in any group of random folks, there will be some who WILL be attracted to those who have differing ethnicity/pigmentation to them BECAUSE they are the Forbidden Fruit .

There are other things that are behind attractiveness, to be sure, but when the bachelors/bachelorettes have a short while to decide who they want to get to get to know better while surrounded by approximately 20 suitors, it's the basic conditioning that kicks in.  The fact of the matter is, society holds up certain qualities as "attractive" and we are told what those standards are through beauty pageants, advertising and other kinds of advertising.

I think they'd have to be from pretty racist families to see someone of a different race as "forbidden fruit" but so far it hasn't described any of the leads.

• Love 6
31 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Beg to dissent/differ. With seven billion humans out there, there's FAR more than ONE reason folks get attracted to others (or aren't attracted to others). In fact, I think it's likely closer to seven billion reasons. IOW, in any group of random folks, there will be some who WILL be attracted to those who have differing ethnicity/pigmentation to them BECAUSE they are the Forbidden Fruit .

What your describing is racial fetishism and of course it exists but it doesn’t apply to the situation. We’re not talking about a random group but a carefully selected individual who has been extensively interviewed about their dating preferences. 

41 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Hence, for the Bachelor/Bachelorette  shows to put minorities on and then act as though this phenom of some finding someone of a different background alluring instead of unappealing had never before happened in human history was rather mawkish hypocrisy, IMO!

The show isn’t doing that. 

We'll have to agree to disagree re our viewpoints of the Bachelor/Bachelorette shows' MO's.  All the 'extensive interviews' can't guarantee that the interviewees will be honest  with  them (or even their own selves) re their true desires of others for a variety of reasons. In any case, for them to put on diverse contestants then profess shock/disbelief that there would be some participants who'd chose those of differing ethnicities/pigmentations is bogus, IMO!

15 minutes ago, Blergh said:

he interviewees will be honest  with  them (or even their own selves) re their true desires of others for a variety of reasons. In any case, for them to put on diverse contestants then profess shock/disbelief that there would be some participants who'd chose those of differing ethnicities/pigmentations is bogus, IMO!

But your premise is incorrect because that isn’t the shocking twist and it wasn’t even implied in the preview, it’s what a poster wondered if was possible.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2
42 minutes ago, Blergh said:

We'll have to agree to disagree re our viewpoints of the Bachelor/Bachelorette shows' MO's.  All the 'extensive interviews' can't guarantee that the interviewees will be honest  with  them (or even their own selves) re their true desires of others for a variety of reasons. In any case, for them to put on diverse contestants then profess shock/disbelief that there would be some participants who'd chose those of differing ethnicities/pigmentations is bogus, IMO!

The show has been on the air for 18 years and what you’re describing has not happened. The actual results of the show demonstrates that the overwhelming majority of the leads are white people who are attracted to white people. The show has a lot of flaws but fortunately they have not chosen a lead who has seen a POC as “forbidden fruit”. As was mentioned earlier the specific person chosen generally has very little to do with the “shocking” moments and this season is no different. 

While racial curiosity may play some part in having a POC contestant go a bit farther, the reality is over the history of the show most POC contestants are eliminated very early, most being eliminated in the first two weeks.  That would negate the idea of racial fetishism or curiosity having sway over the choices the bachelor/ette makes. As others have stated, the overwhelmingly white contestants have a preference and it is overwhelmingly other white people.

One black female contestant has reportedly said the producers made her ask the Bachelor at their early meet up if he had ever dated a black woman before.  She said she was uncomfortable with that question because in her own dating life that it was not a question she would have asked at that point in a burgeoning relationship.

The only question on the questionnaire that even hints at asking about preference is this one:

Please describe your ideal mate in terms of physical attraction and in terms of personality attraction. What is most important, physical attraction or personality when first meeting someone?

I also get the sense from looking at some of the questions and what people have reported what goes on in the live casting calls, that yes... they want attractive and interesting personalities and people who make make for good, entertaining tv, but they also want to protect their brand so they are also interested in casting people who legitimately want to get married.  It is also in the interest of the contestants to want to get married as well, because the incentives and rewards for a successful relationship are bigger and more long term than just being a person who is there for the exposure/drama.  Again history has shown that the most exposure non-married contestants get tends to be flash in the pan fame that barely outlasts the last episode or their season.  So again in that sense it is in the contestant's own best interest for them to be serious about who they are selecting and choosing to take further along.  Racial curiosity/fetishism can only go so far.

• Love 5

Amazon has a romantic drama, Sylvie's Love,  starring Tessa Thompson and Nnamdi Asomugha.  It is a period piece set in the 50s and *gasp* isn't about racism!  From the trailer it looks like It is about Thompson being a career woman in the 50s and lost/re-found love?  Looks good!

• Useful 4
  • Love 16
4 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Amazon has a romantic drama, Sylvie's Love,  starring Tessa Thompson and Nnamdi Asomugha.  It is a period piece set in the 50s and *gasp* isn't about racism!  From the trailer it looks like It is about Thompson being a career woman in the 50s and lost/re-found love?  Looks good!

FYI Nnamdi Asomugha was a legit NFL star not so long ago! Not just a player but a guy teams were throwing money at in free agency.

FYI Nnamdi Asomugha was a legit NFL star not so long ago! Not just a player but a guy teams were throwing money at in free agency.

He's also Kerry Washington's husband.

I'm looking forward to seeing that movie because I love the women's clothes of that era. Jurnee Smollett's wardrobe in Lovecraft Country is amazing and based on the Sylvie's Love trailer it looks like Tessa Thompson will be killing it too.

• Love 7
On 10/14/2020 at 9:33 PM, DearEvette said:

I can’t wait to watch this. Black and brown people had interesting lives before desegregation!😝

• Love 9
28 minutes ago, ursula said:

It does look cool but so did Still Star Crossed which this reminds me of.

I’ll watch anything that Shonda makes but I can’t help wishing she’d adapted one of Alyssa Cole’s series instead.

Aww.  I loved Still Star Crossed. I still have one of the episodes on my DVR. 

• Love 7
On 10/15/2020 at 9:19 AM, Joimiaroxeu said:

He's also Kerry Washington's husband.

I'm looking forward to seeing that movie because I love the women's clothes of that era. Jurnee Smollett's wardrobe in Lovecraft Country is amazing and based on the Sylvie's Love trailer it looks like Tessa Thompson will be killing it too.

Tessa Thompson is a goddess!  I saw her in an off Broadway play called Smart People, a few years ago.  She's so beautiful in real life, and tiny IRL.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

Tessa Thompson is a goddess!  I saw her in an off Broadway play called Smart People, a few years ago.  She's so beautiful in real life, and tiny IRL.

I will watch anything she is in.  I am so looking forward to Sylvie's Love because 1) Black Love and 2)doesn't appear to be "trauma drama" and 3) cool 50s era wardrobe and 4) even in the trailer she and Nnamdi look like they have smokin' chemistry!

But then she has chemistry with everyone.  There is a dark comedy on Netflix called War on Everyone where she and Alexander Skarsgard become a couple and they are super smokin'

• Love 6
3 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I will watch anything she is in.  I am so looking forward to Sylvie's Love because 1) Black Love and 2)doesn't appear to be "trauma drama" and 3) cool 50s era wardrobe and 4) even in the trailer she and Nnamdi look like they have smokin' chemistry!

But then she has chemistry with everyone.  There is a dark comedy on Netflix called War on Everyone where she and Alexander Skarsgard become a couple and they are super smokin'

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. Sylvie's Love and War on Everyone both sound good. 

5 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I've never seen Tessa on stage, but I've loved her since Veronica Mars. I saw Nnamdi in February on Broadway (RIP for now)--he was in the revival of A Soldier's Play with Blair Underwood and David Allen Grier. I met him after the play, and good Lawd. The man is beautiful and still has a toned athlete's body. He looked like he could suit up and get back on the field any time he wanted to. 

• Love 4