Type keyword(s) to search

Race & Ethnicity On TV

Message added by Meredith Quill,

This is the place to discuss race and ethnicity issues related to TV shows only.

Go here for the equivalent movie discussions.

For general discussion without TV/Film context please use the Social Justice topic in Everything Else. 

• Start Topic

FYI here is the trailer for War on Everyone. It is a dark comedy. I don't think I've ever seen Skarsgard do comedy.  And to be fair he really doesn't but he is deadpan.  And like I said, he and Tessa have great chemistry.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, DearEvette said:

FYI here is the trailer for War on Everyone. It is a dark comedy.

Thanks.  Because of the recommendation, I'm going to try to watch it at some point this weekend.  I do love good chemistry.

I don't want to make this into a Tessa Thompson fan thread but she gave another memorable, chemistry-filled performance in the Cold Case episode "Best Friends" which is a forbidden love story between her character and another girl in the 1930s.  I believe it was her screen debut and it was one of the show's finest episodes.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Thanks.  Because of the recommendation, I'm going to try to watch it at some point this weekend.  I do love good chemistry.

I don't want to make this into a Tessa Thompson fan thread but she gave another memorable, chemistry-filled performance in the Cold Case episode "Best Friends" which is a forbidden love story between her character and another girl in the 1930s.  I believe it was her screen debut and it was one of the show's finest episodes.

That episode is one of my all-time favorite episodes of TV, to be honest.

• Love 5

"FYI here is the trailer for War on Everyone. It is a dark comedy. I don't think I've ever seen Skarsgard do comedy.  And to be fair he really doesn't but he is deadpan.  And like I said, he and Tessa have great chemistry."

I watched this last year and I can't recommend it enough - unless you don't like a bit of the ultraviolence - otherwise it is extremely funny and well written. The ethnic mix is actually one of the best aspects as it is a rare bird: Everyone is just who the character *is* - no preaching or teaching, just showing.

• Love 2
On 10/16/2020 at 7:42 PM, Irlandesa said:

One of my favorite episodes as well.

• Love 1

'NBC, Ava DuVernay Developing Native American Family Drama'

NBC has given a put pilot commitment to Sovereign, a Native American family drama from Emmy-winning and Oscar-nominated executive producer Ava DuVernay and co-executive producer Bird Runningwater (of the Cheyenne and Mescalero Apache Tribal Nations).

The pilot was written by Sydney Freeland (Sundance Film Festival Jury Prize winner Drunktown’s Finest), a member of the Navajo Nation, and Shaz Bennett (Bosch), from a story by DuVernay.

The first Native American family drama developed for network television, Sovereign “chronicles the lives, loves and loyalties of a sprawling Indigenous family struggling to control the future of their tribe against outside forces and themselves,” the official synopsis reads.

• Useful 2
  • Love 10

We'll see how this eventually plays out, but CBS sets some diversity goals for reality TV:

CBS announced today a target for all future unscripted programs to have casts with at least 50% of the contestants being Black, Indigenous and People of Color (BIPOC), beginning in the 2021-2022 broadcast season. The Network will also allocate at least a quarter of its annual unscripted development budget to projects created or co-created by BIPOC producers, also starting in the 2021-2022 season.

In addition, the Network will develop future initiatives with its production partners to expand diversity in all of the creative and production teams involved in making an unscripted series.

(full press release at the link)

This pairs with their statement about better minority representation in their scripted shows earlier this year.

• Useful 4
  • Love 2

So I happened across a twitter thread that talked about the massive popularity of the show Everybody Hates Chris in Brazil.  Apparently the show is massively popular in Brazil and the cast, especially Tichina Arnold, are superstars there.  She is the most popular American actress in Brazil.

From what I understand, something like 54% of the population is of African descent, but tv and entertainment is incredibly white to the point where it is still rather rare to see a black or dark brown face in a positive or leading role.  Apparently Everybody Hates Chris is one of the few American imports they get with black main characters and it resonates with so much of the population because the characters are black and working class and a regular family that so many can relate to.

Anyway, here is the twitter thread:

Edited by DearEvette
  • Useful 14
  • Love 7
58 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

I happened across a twitter thread that talked about the massive popularity of the show Everybody Hates Chris in Brazil.  Apparently the show is massively popular in Brazil and the cast, especially Tichina Arnold, are superstars there.  She is the most popular American actress in Brazil.

Interesting. Retta was just on Andy Richter’s podcast talking about how Good Girls is huge in Brazil and she has a huge Brazilian following. Wonder if it’s because she is one of the main characters.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Interesting. Retta was just on Andy Richter’s podcast talking about how Good Girls is huge in Brazil and she has a huge Brazilian following. Wonder if it’s because she is one of the main characters.

A good show... A positive character and a yearning for more representation in a nation that has an abundance of folks with some to more than alot of  african blood... Makes sense to me. 

• Love 1

Nielsen Study Shows TV Doesn't Reflect The Diversity Of America

Researchers at Nielsen, the company which also provides TV viewership ratings, looked at the top 100 TV shows each in broadcast, cable and streaming, excluding sports, movies and animated shows.

In an analysis of diversity and inclusion among those 300 programs in 2019, Nielsen found women, Native Americans and Latinx people were among the most underrepresented groups relative to their numbers in the general population.

For example, women make up 52 percent of the U.S. population, but they show up onscreen 37.9 percent of the time, according to Nielsen's study. It uses a metric called "share of screen" –the percentage of time members of specific groups appear as recurring cast members – to measure how often TV viewers actually see these types of people.

The numbers get worse for women over age 50. This group is 20 percent of the population, but only gets 8 percent of screen time. Men over age 50, who are 17 percent of the population, get a 14 percent share of screen time – closer to their actual numbers in real life.

Nielsen found this disparity was consistent across broadcast, cable and streaming services, drawing a total 5.5 percent of screen time, though they are 18.8 percent of the population.

Native Americans' share of screen time was less than one quarter of their presence in the population, totaling just .4 percent across broadcast, cable and streaming.

Direct link to study: https://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insights/report/2020/being-seen-on-screen-diverse-representation-and-inclusion-on-tv/

• Useful 5
  • Love 2

Rashida Jones will replace Phil Griffin as head of MSNBC

Phil Griffin is leaving his post as president of NBCUniversal's MSNBC and will be replaced by NBC News executive Rashida Jones, who will become the first Black woman to run a major TV news operation.

I know nothing about her, but she has got to be amazing. Black, a woman, only 39 years old and got that job.

(She's not the movie/TV star Rashida Jones)

Edited by xaxat
  • Useful 5
  • Love 1

I was watching a Lifetime Christmas movie where Jessica Lowdes has a black adopted sister. I know this happens in real life, but I've always found the "black person adopted by a white family" trope as a cynical way to add in diversity while simultaneously avoiding the "best time black friend to the white main character" trope that people seen to criticize more then this one. The 90210 reboot in 2008 was really obvious with this. Conversely, I have a lot of problems with This Is Us but they handled this particular trope well.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
16 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Conversely, I have a lot of problems with This Is Us but they handled this particular trope well.

I think This is Us handles it better because Randall actually does have his own storyline.  His character isn't there for the sole purpose of enlightening the white folks.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I think This is Us handles it better because Randall actually does have his own storyline.  His character isn't there for the sole purpose of enlightening the white folks.

Yeah.  Topher Grace has a new tv show on CBS I think where there is a black female character who is the wife of his character's sister and I just said "no" and backed out of the news article.

I'm just so tired and exhausted with tv that centers whiteness.  When I think of the "newness" we got from shows like Watchmen, that didn't center whiteness and how original it was, I want more of that and less of the same old same old with minority characters propping up the white ones so the showrunners/producers can check a diversity box.

• Love 9

I just rewatched Independence Day and it occurred to me that if the 2 kids (Will Smith’s stepson Dylan, and the President’s daughter Pat) were white, it would be easy to ship their older selves. Sure enough, I checked out tv tropes for Intel on the sequel (never watched it, never will) and they basically invent a White Dylan to be a couple with Pat, with Dylan as their mutual Black Best Friend. It’s weird how racism is both so complicated and yet so predictable.

Edited by ursula
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, ursula said:

I just rewatched Independence Day and it occurred to me that if the 2 kids (Will Smith’s stepson Dylan, and the President’s daughter Pat) were white, it would be easy to ship their older selves. Sure enough, I checked out tv tropes for Intel on the sequel (never watched it, never will) and they basically invent a White Dylan to be a couple with Pat, with Dylan as their mutual Black Best Friend. It’s weird how racism is both so complicated and yet so predictable.

Yeah that was SOOOO completely obvious in its racism it was disgusting.  That movie was garbage anyway.

• Love 4
On 12/8/2020 at 9:00 PM, methodwriter85 said:

I was watching a Lifetime Christmas movie where Jessica Lowdes has a black adopted sister. I know this happens in real life, but I've always found the "black person adopted by a white family" trope as a cynical way to add in diversity while simultaneously avoiding the "best time black friend to the white main character" trope that people seen to criticize more then this one. The 90210 reboot in 2008 was really obvious with this. Conversely, I have a lot of problems with This Is Us but they handled this particular trope well.

Way back in 1986, the then-popular singer Melba Moore had a shortlived sitcom entitled Melba in which the protagonist was working single mother raising her young daughter with the help of her own mother Rose  and her white friend  named Susan that she called her 'sister'    because Melba's mother had been Susan's parents' housekeeper during the girls' childhood and wound up raising both girls. OK that in itself hasn't been unheard of by any means. However, it seemed to take a good chunk of what few episodes' dialogue  there was   to explain the origins of the tag when explaining Susan's presence so I have to wonder why they just didn't say Susan was her childhood friend who happened to be white and get on with the show.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 12/10/2020 at 10:59 PM, xaxat said:

I am so looking forward to this. The original comic run of Ms. Marvel was great.

As a South Asian Muslim girl and Marvel fan I can't wait for this! I bought the Ms. Marvel graphic novel for my daughter and I'm so excited to watch it with her. Iman Vellani looks completely adorable.

Edited by Minneapple
  • Love 6

Not sure if this project was brought up here before, but just BTW: 'Lupita Nyong’o, Danai Gurira’s ‘Americanah’ Series Not Moving Forward'

“Americanah” was originally meant to start shooting earlier this year, but the production dates were pushed back due to the COVID-19 pandemic. According to an individual with knowledge of the situation, Nyong’o then had to drop out as it conflicted with other projects on her schedule.

The show originally received a 10-episode straight-to-series order at [HBO Max] last year. Both Nyong’o and Gurira were to serve as executive producers on the show, with Nyong’o starring and Gurira writing and serving as showrunner.

It was always fishy how his character was treated on Heroes;

'‘Heroes’ Was Supposed to Be Leonard Roberts’ Big Break. Instead, It Nearly Broke Him.'

One of the most sobering parts of this experience for me was coming to terms with the divide in how it was perceived. To Black people, whether a part of the entertainment industry or not, the frustration and pain I went through was an all-too-familiar reminder of what it meant to feel as invisible as Ralph Ellison’s revered protagonist. But to white and non-Black people in my orbit, what happened was often chalked up to a tough break; one solely driven by artistic concerns, with my long stretches of unemployment in the years after referred to as simply a stint in “actor’s jail.” To constantly feel I had to prove not only the validity, but the very existence of racism before I could even own my feelings about it only added to my frustration.

Weeks after my last “Heroes” episode, one of my castmates, with no irony, said, “Can you really say you lost your job because you’re Black? C’mon, man. They’re gonna always keep the hot blonde on the show. That’s just Hollywood.” I responded that for him, as a white man, to ask me to deny I lost my job because I was Black, but accept my co-star kept her job because of attributes he clearly believed identified her as white was, in fact, a quite literal embodiment of systemic racism. There always seemed to be a collective need for a more palatable justification of what I went through. ...

I had hoped to one day be able to reflect on my “Heroes” experience from a fulfilled, gainfully employed and less angering place, having left the whole ordeal in my rearview. While that’s not my reality, the larger moment we find ourselves in compels me to share. For this to become a true turning point, we will all have to engage in a more substantive way. I encourage white people to understand that while standing as allies has its place, action is what this moment demands. This applies to the industry as well. The studio can’t spend millions to support Black causes publicly, but have no Black people in leadership roles. The white show creator can’t create a show featuring non-white on-camera talent but disregard non-white voices behind the scenes. The white actor who’s worked for half as long as a comparable actor of color yet makes twice the pay has to be willing to put that on the line to give voice to the disparity in the name of fairness and equity. The representative should respect and live up to that title and fully embrace what it means to act on our behalf. Without the understanding that these issues are all a part of the same conversation, public acts in the name of allyship become as performative as people making social media posts espousing the virtues of equity and inclusion while privately maintaining the status quo or dropping the “Uncle” from a box of rice.  As artists, as professionals and as human beings, fully embracing this moment should not only result in our existing, but thriving. ...

• Love 2

That Leonard Roberts essay was excellently written and a very intense read.  Holy cow. 

This part at the end tho...

Variety independently obtained a copy of an early draft of the “Heroes” pilot in which Roberts’ character is referred to as “a white man’s nightmare.” The people Variety spoke with also confirmed that other series leads had conversations with the “Heroes” writers about their characters; that there were no Black writers on the “Heroes” staff in its first season; that Black actors were sidelined in cast photos; that Larter did not like working with Roberts; and that Larter was a divisive presence on set overall.

Interesting that Tawny Cypress' SImone  was the first character killed off the show.  Also black.  I found this on Wikipedia regarding ehr character:

Isaac's love interest was originally written as a bohemian white woman named Stella. However, after Ali Larter, not Cypress, was awarded the role of Niki Sanders, Heroes creator Tim Kring offered the role of Stella to her. The character was changed from a bohemian to an art dealer, and the name was changed to Simone Deveaux. The writers had discussed several storyline possibilities for Simone such as pregnancy and becoming another "Horn Rimmed Glasses" (Noah Bennet). Cypress believed Simone to be "the Lois Lane of the Heroes world." In the end, however, the creative staff could not decide what direction to take Simone. Heroes creator Tim Kring informed her of Simone's fate in December 2006.

So Basically more than just the series season 2 on was trash ...

• Useful 4
  • Love 4

For a while I understood where Ali might have been coming from in the love scene since we've learned so much about how directors will tell women they're required to show a certain level of nudity but then, in the middle of filming, be asked to show more.

But then I got to the part where she had already shown more with Adrian Pasdar's character and I found myself going "oh hell no."

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 11

And now a response from Larter -- which sounds like a standard PR apology; but it's not like I expect her to say she was a racist mean girl:

“I am deeply saddened to hear about Leonard Roberts’ experience on Heroes and I am heartbroken reading his perception of our relationship, which absolutely doesn’t match my memory nor experience on the show,” the actress says in a statement to TVLine. “I respect Leonard as an artist and I applaud him or anyone using their voice and platform. I am truly sorry for any role I may have played in his painful experience during that time and I wish him and his family the very best.”

• Useful 2
24 minutes ago, Trini said:

And now a response from Larter -- which sounds like a standard PR apology; but it's not like I expect her to say she was a racist mean girl:

I really hate the “I’m sorry that’s how they percieve my actions” non-apology. 

Larter certainly shouldn’t be let off the hook but I also hope the focus is not entirely on her. It sounds like she was horrible but TPTB had a horrible track record with the other black characters. They basically repeated the exact same pattern with Monica in season 2. That time they didn’t even bother giving the character a conclusion and cut her season 3 wrap-up scenes. 

I watched the first season or so of Heroes when it was on. I was a teenager at the time, and it was one of the first shows I followed as it was airing versus in reruns. Even as a teen, I remember finding DL a lot more interesting character than Niki and wondering why we got stuck with so much of her boring ass. Now I know why. . . . 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Dani said:

... They basically repeated the exact same pattern with Monica in season 2. That time they didn’t even bother giving the character a conclusion and cut her season 3 wrap-up scenes.

Was she the one that had the power to imitate anything she saw? I remember thinking she had such a cool power, and a good setup for her being an actual superhero, but then she disappeared.  😕

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Trini said:

Was she the one that had the power to imitate anything she saw? I remember thinking she had such a cool power, and a good setup for her being an actual superhero, but then she disappeared.  😕

That was her. The way she disappeared was so bizarre. I quit watching not long after that. 

23 hours ago, Dani said:

I really hate the “I’m sorry that’s how they percieve my actions” non-apology. 

Larter certainly shouldn’t be let off the hook but I also hope the focus is not entirely on her. It sounds like she was horrible but TPTB had a horrible track record with the other black characters. They basically repeated the exact same pattern with Monica in season 2. That time they didn’t even bother giving the character a conclusion and cut her season 3 wrap-up scenes. 

What irritates me the most about all of this is how people keep claiming Ali can't be racist or her irritation can't be racist because she did movies with Idris Elba and Taye Diggs.  Those people are misunderstanding the power dynamics.  In the variety article, Ali is quoted by Leonard as being upset that his/her magazine cover was the least popular one.  Basically she blamed him for "dragging her down" - she was looking to be a breakout star and thought being tied to "the black guy" who wasn't the lead wasn't going to get her there.  That's why she was all over her scenes with Milo and doing everything she could to make that work, but she was obviously trying to tank the plot with Leonard.

She had no issues with Idris or Taye because they were mega stars and she hoped they could raise her star level.

So, let's say for the sake of argument that she wasn't being intentionally racist by trying to tank her onscreen costar and her's relationship onscreen so she could be paired with the lead and thus elevate herself.  Even if she wasn't being racist, she still didn't do her job and basically created a hostile work environment for her black costar, tanking his role on the show, and setting him up for years of unemployment.  He was on a better trajectory before that show - afterwards, his career stalled.  The last time I ever saw him was on Charmed (2018 version). 

And not for nothing, but I liked Leonard's character so much better than hers and wished her character died on the show instead of his.  Ali Larter has always rubbed me the wrong way and now I know why.

Edited by phoenics
  • Useful 1
  • Love 18

The different reactions Ali Larter had to filming love scenes with two different co-stars could, of course, possibly have resulted from other factors in addition to their respective races, depending on how the scenes were written and how the directors were acting in each instance (I didn't watch the show, so it seems like, of the two, the one with Leonard Roberts would have been less uncomfortable to film, but I not only wasn't on set I didn't even see the final on-screen result), but under the totality of the circumstances it's pretty hard to believe race isn't significantly at play here.

But even if she - and I don't think this is true, but giving a  hypothetical version of her the benefit of the doubt to drive home a point - didn't consciously realize racism was informing her reaction to him, how she can read Leonard Roberts's recount (upon her repeatedly and loudly expressing discomfort with the director's staging of the love scene during rehearsal):

I remember instinctively checking to make sure both my hands were visible to everyone who was there, as not to have my intentions or actions misconstrued.

and not have her heart break open and take a good, long look at how his experience as a Black man informed that moment, not to mention read the whole story and not contemplate and acknowledge what she was (willfully or otherwise) blind to at the time rather than just issue some anemic "sorry for any role I may have played" in his "perception" (which, of course, implies it's in his mind, not reality) response to the whole thing makes me simultaneously flames on the side of my face angry and frustrated while letting out an exhausted sigh of non-surprise.

• Love 18

Yeah, I think the Ali Larter's interactions to Leonard Roberts vs. her interactions with Idris Elba /Taye Diggs could still be under the umbrella of racism.  But instead of a micro-personal version of racism ('ewww black people!') it could instead fall under the umbrella of macro-systemic racism where she calculates the value of her co-star.  She knows that a black, male actor just starting out won't have the star power she can latch herself onto.  She knows, in a Karen sort of way, that she can leverage her whiteness and her own relative power ranking in the show over him.  It is a subtle sort of racism. 

And given the reaction by the producers and show-runner, she was right.  Who else but a woman who knows she'd be backed up  would have the audacity to argue loudly with her director, voicing her displeasure with what sounds like a fairly tame love scene ((it was network TV show in 2006 that aired in a pre-watershed time-slot) with her co-star sitting right there listening in.  It sounds like the friction was initiated by her.  And they admitted she was 'a divisive presence on set.'  And yet he was the one that fired and it was explicitly because of her.  On some level she knew she was going to be protected and that is why she felt it was ok to treat him that way.  He would never have the protection she did.  And yes Kring and Hammond are 100% complicit in that.

It is one of the reasons why I really thought his essay was so excellently written. He never calls her out as a racist, but instead focuses on the systemic racism that you can read between the lines that she obviously leveraged and used to her advantage.

And finally, of course their EW cover was not gonna sell well.  Heroes was ALL about the 'Save The Cheerleader, Save the World.'  Hayden and Milo were the hot tickets.  With Hiro coming in a strong second.   If any person in her storyline stood out it was the little kid.  He was the interesting one in that storyline.  She was abrasive and unlikable even in character.

• Useful 1
  • Love 17
11 hours ago, phoenics said:

And not for nothing, but I liked Leonard's character so much better than hers and wished her character died on the show instead of his.  Ali Larter has always rubbed me the wrong way and now I know why.

BTW, where is she today?

Edited by Neurochick
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

BTW, where is she today?

Evidently Miss Larter is holed up somewhere making self-justifying and self-important statements dismissing her colleague's experiences.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, ouinason said:

She's on the Rookie still I think.

She had left for her own show which didn't make it past planning or pilot stage and might be headed back to be the Rookie's love interest 

14 hours ago, Trini said:

LOL - Leonard's response to her response:

Perfect!  I really liked him on Major Crimes and Mom - and love his voice - but have never known anything about him off-screen until now.  I'm glad he spoke out, and hope he's getting the support he deserves.

• Love 11
11 hours ago, Neurochick said:

BTW, where is she today?

Bahahaha!  Nowhere.

5 hours ago, Raja said:

She had left for her own show which didn't make it past planning or pilot stage and might be headed back to be the Rookie's love interest 

I seriously hope they rethink that - that show already has issues and is trying to be better and more sensitive to issues about race.  Adding her into the mix after this won't fly well.

Edited by phoenics
  • Love 3
On 12/17/2020 at 9:54 PM, DearEvette said:

Yeah, I think the Ali Larter's interactions to Leonard Roberts vs. her interactions with Idris Elba /Taye Diggs could still be under the umbrella of racism.  But instead of a micro-personal version of racism ('ewww black people!') it could instead fall under the umbrella of macro-systemic racism where she calculates the value of her co-star.  She knows that a black, male actor just starting out won't have the star power she can latch herself onto.  She knows, in a Karen sort of way, that she can leverage her whiteness and her own relative power ranking in the show over him.  It is a subtle sort of racism.

I would agree with that.  But knowing she can leverage being the hot blonde to get away with shit due to the background racism of society, whether Ali Larter herself is a racist doesn't really matter.  She can say whatever she wants about his "perceptions," but I think she knows that "I acted like a bitch to you but for non-racist reasons" isn't gonna fly either.

It's been a while since I watched Heroes, but I loved the first season back in the day.  It (and Lost, which is a whole other topic) was one of the first series to show greater diversity than most American TV shows had before, but with Leonard's story, it sounds like at least some of it was checklist diversity.  They ticked the box for Black Man, but ultimately they didn't know what to do with him.  I remember at the time feeling like his character was wasted, despite having a really cool power.  And in a way, Larter's character was underwritten as well, I seem to recall she had a split personality and I don't remember if it was ever really explained.  But she could ride through that because she was the "hot blonde."  I'm sorry that Leonard had to go through that.  Were the various personalities racist?  I don't know, but it is definitely the product of systemic racism.

And on a personal note, I though Alphas did a better job with super-powered people than Heroes.

• Love 9

In the light of Leonard's interview, it's really interesting to see how

Spoiler

Tiny Pretty Things

pulled the same stunt with its own Black lead. The character's name was changed from Giselle to Neveah (Gigi wasn't "hood" enough), her two-parent loving family turned into a single jailbird mom and brother who was a victim of police violence. She's aggressive and unimpressive, clearly accepted for an in-story diversity boost and not because she's the most talented performer in her group. In fact, the focus on the storyline is on the white girl, with the half-Asian girl (who legit looks 100% white to me) being a close second. Neveah is little more than a supporting character in the show. 

And naturally viewers who've never read the book are complaining about her character - she's unlikable, and boring, and irrelevant. She was obviously just included for the sake of "diversity" and could be removed from the show without any difference to the main plot.   🤦‍♀️

And honestly at this point, do we still think that these things just happen by coincidence? That Black characters - even Black characters who are the main characters in the source material - are written badly, and end up leaving a show because "they're not appealing to the audience" and the show "doesn't know what to do with them?"

• Love 7
4 hours ago, ursula said:

That Black characters - even Black characters who are the main characters in the source material - are written badly, and end up leaving a show because "they're not appealing to the audience" and the show "doesn't know what to do with them?"

Don't forget the golden " no chemistry" 

• Love 3

The new

Spoiler

Bridgerton

series has continued the grand tradition of shows like Twisted and Tiny Pretty Things where Black women are built up so that they can be torn down. 😒

Edited by ursula
  • Useful 3