Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E09: Birthday In The Berks

• Start Topic

(edited)

Dorinda's Bershire house is beautiful.  Does anyone know where it is?   Even though I live in the northeast, I wasn't sure exactly where the Bershires are and when I looked it up they span three states.   The largest part is in the western Massachusetts but the Bershires are also in northern Connecticut and a small piece of New York state.

ETA:   Bethenny showing up was a surprise.  I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of "activities" Dorinda has planned.

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 2

Love, love, love Dorinda's house! It's like mine but bigger, nicer and probably paid for. Harkening back to last years Berkshires trip, I think winter is the best time to visit with this group. Ramona surely won't need to have her own personal AC unit this go round. The house was beautiful but definitely had a not lived in feel to me. If it were me, I'd live at the Berkshires and weekend in the city.

I live in the mountains, in a very well known town, a vacation hot spot amongst travelers. However, I live 25 minutes from the city. don't like city life, except on a weekend basis perhaps. My house is a farm house on several acres with bomb ass mountain views built in the 40's and while we have central heat and AC we have no insulation so running it is pointless (we are always working on updating the house) so in the summer we rely on open windows are and a breeze and in the winter our wood stove is our heat source. I already liked Dorinda but seeing her out of the city really solidified that for me. As a SAHM I was quite proud of myself for learning to chop wood, cords at a time and provide us with heat in the winter without having to rely on my husband to do it. In the winter the wood stove becomes my 3rd child. Anyhow, I want to visit her house and Heathers house right on the water was great too!

How awkward for Ramona and Kristen to get caught talkng shit, if that wasn't producer driven. I somehow missed Beth in the first look. Possibly because I'm so sick of her and I automatically block her out but my DVR was acting funny.

• Love 5
(edited)

I missed Bethenny in the first look too. I may go back and re watch.

I DVRd, so to my delighted surprise, the recording captured the preview for Secrets and Wives. Lowlife North Shore Long Island HWs with a lot of bad plastic surgery and Botox. The one married to the supposed best North Shore plastic surgeon did not look like a great ad for his services. All need their roots done. All living in fear of being tossed to the curb for a new wife. Or some already tossed. I hope there is a forum for this soon. This will replace my beloved Long Island Princesses. .

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 9

Dorinda's house vs. Heather's garage house-no contest.  Heather has something to strive for- I love RH real estate.

I like Dorinda's house but I loved Heathers home. The style of Heaters, with all the windows and the expanse of the property as breathtaking IMO.

• Love 4
(edited)

I missed Bethenny in the first look too. I may go back and re watch.

I DVRd, so to my delighted surprise, the recording captured the preview for Secrets and Wives. Lowlife North Shore Long Island HWs with a lot of bad plastic surgery and Botox. The one married to the supposed best North Shore plastic surgeon did not look like a great ad for his services. All need their roots done. All living in fear of being tossed to the curb for a new wife. Or some already tossed. I hope there is a forum for this soon. This will replace my beloved Long Island Princesses. .

Did you really like Long Island Princesses?

I live on the North Shore of Long Island and thought it was awful.  However, it was accurate.  There is a segment of the population that mirrors the Long Island Princesses.  It will be interesting to see how much damage Secrets and Wives can do to the North Shore.  I'm betting it's not flattering but an accurate portrayal of a small segment of the overall population.

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 4

It's the return of Kristen's O face. Knew it wouldn't be long.  LuAnn really got the ugliest room.  Guess Dorinda does hold a grudge.   Ramona shows her old  nouveau riche self when commenting on Dorinda's house.  It's hard to maintain any sympathy for her. 

• Love 8
(edited)

Did you really like Long Island Princesses?

I live on the North Shore of Long Island and thought it was awful. However, it was accurate. There is a segment of the population that mirrors the Long Island Princesses. It will be interesting to see how much damage Secrets and Wives can do to the North Shore. I'm betting it's not flattering but an accurate portrayal of a small segment of the overall population.

Yes I really liked LIP, but in the train-wreck kind of way. That show did not garner much activity in the TWoP forums back then, to my chagrin. I live in NYC and I'm familiar with the various Long Island communities, so it's fun to see things you know. but I have to say that the Secrets and Wives cast also reminds me of the Jersey housewives. Edited by GussieK
  • Love 2

Yes I really liked LIP, but in the train-wreck kind of way. That show did not garner much activity in the TWoP forums back then, to my chagrin. I live in NYC and I'm familiar with the various Long Island communities, so it's fun to see things you know. but I have to say that the Secrets and Wives cast also reminds me of the Jersey housewives.

LOL. Totally get the "train wreck" appeal.

It will be fun to see familiar places. If they don't identify their community, I'm sure we can figure it out.

• Love 3

Gosh, I love Dorinda's house so much! It's actually making me miss Christmas.

Ramona made me giggle when she playfully stole Carol's suggestion of 'Bluestone Manor' and hollered up the stairs.

• Love 4
(edited)

It's the return of Kristen's O face. Knew it wouldn't be long. LuAnn really got the ugliest room. Guess Dorinda does hold a grudge. Ramona shows her old nouveau riche self when commenting on Dorinda's house. It's hard to maintain any sympathy for her.

Well, Dorinda's not exactly old money, though I did appreciate her mentioning her family did not grow up wealthy.

I wanted to like the house, but it looks too much like one of those "let's let every room be done by a different decorator" type things. No cohesion, and the purple couches and jarring room colors were a bit much for me. The views were gorgeous.

What I really didn't like was the 2 different stories of how the house was bought. To the women she says Richard bought it for her, in the story of telling her father it was "I" bought it. But at least we now know where the rest of her $$ goes. I wonder what the taxes are on that property?

I am also wondering how Beenny will spin the "I absolutely cannot go to the Berkshires. -- Hi, I'm here!"

Edited because Texas and taxes are not the same. Damned Apple auto-correct!

Edited by Mrs peel
  • Love 3

captured the preview for Secrets and Wives. Lowlife North Shore Long Island HWs with a lot of bad plastic surgery and Botox. The one married to the supposed best North Shore plastic surgeon did not look like a great ad for his services. All need their roots done. All living in fear of being tossed to the curb for a new wife. Or some already tossed. I hope there is a forum for this soon. This will replace my beloved Long Island Princesses. .

I also accidently caught part of the preview for this poor excuse of airtime. And yes, I also know segments of people who would fit in with these people and fins it entertaining, though I'm at a loss to really understand that.

To me it just looks like another carbon copy of what appears to be Bravo's current script; obnoxious overly dieted, botoxed, loud, illiterate money whores with nothing of substance behind their impeccably applied too heavy make up.  Another bad show with absolutely no redeeming factors being put out there by Bravo, another show highlighting the worst insulting cliches of women--bitchy, backbiting, shallow, self absorbed. More scripted pointless arguments, more shopping sprees for likely product placed for free air time crap, more free trips falling into screamfests.

No thanks.

• Love 4

I just watched the First Look, and didn't see Bethenny, either.  Kristen did mention Bethenny didn't know what she was missing.  I like the mishmash style of Dorinda's mansion.  I also like Heather's "garage.  They all look good compared to my old dump.  :-)

• Love 11

I  think Dorinda's house is fabulous!!!!  Hopefully, we get to see the whole estate in the upcoming episode.

I enjoyed watching Ramona and Carole being playful on the stairs.  We need less drama and more laughs!!!

• Love 6

It was wonderfullllll to see Dorinda's house.  Not everything is my taste but I can appreciate it.  And for ten minutes, no Beth whining about her childhood, homeliness and horrible hell she's going through.

• Love 5

I just watched the First Look, and didn't see Bethenny, either.  Kristen did mention Bethenny didn't know what she was missing.  I like the mishmash style of Dorinda's mansion.  I also like Heather's "garage.  They all look good compared to my old dump.  :-)

Bethenny wasn't in the First Look.  She was in the previews for the next episode.  And with that said - it'll be same old, same old.  Crash the weekend (as she has crashed the season) and bitch. She makes fun of what they're wearing when obviously it was something planned that she wasn't privy to - because she said she wasn't attended!  Snore snore - someone wake me up with when she's stopped talking.

Anyway - from what I could see in the first look - I really did like Dorinda's house.  It was HUGE and nicely decorated.  I prefer actually mismatched (hey, let's relegate this couch to the Berkshire house ok?) to professionally mismatched on purpose.  BUT!! I am more of a Heather-style of home and so really liked the comfy casual and -gasp!- smallness of her home.  

I was laughing out loud at Carole and Ramona on the stairs!  It was so funny and light hearted and there was no snark but what appeared to be a real friendship.  More of this please!!

And I laughed Saturday night when my husband came home from the package store and told me he bought me a bottle of SKINNY GIRL margarita!!  I had a glass and promptly got a head ache.  Ach - just buy me the fixin's next time and I'll make my own!

• Love 1

There is a video/article on Radaronline of the dinner coming up this episode. My phone is not playing it for me.

It's there if any one is interested. Sorry can't link it.

• Love 1

Two thoughts after watching the First Look.

1.  Did anyone notice in "Previously on" they showed an interview of Bethenny saying something like, "I don't have a good reason for not liking Heather, I just find her annoying."  That clip was never shown before.  And Bethenny is wearing an outfit that I have not seen in any of her other interviews so far.  Dorinda last week said that she was shooting new talking heads - looks like Bethenny did one too, and they're ret-conning the Heather/Bethenny issue.  Interesting.

2.  Sigh.  Heather, I like you so much.  Please calm down.  They kept showing clips - which are of course Heather's own behavior, so there it is - of Heather being obnoxious.  Naming herself "co-host with the most" of the trip, trying to control events "let's choose bedrooms and then have wine on the veranda", pointing out to Carole/Kristen all the local sights as they're driving up.  What comes across is that Heather is for some reason competitive about which Housewife "owns" the Berkshires.  Oh, Heather.  Please calm down.  

I'm sure, by the way, that Heather IS bossy, and she DID say all those things.  And maybe because of the Season 3 edit, or because they're trying to make sure that we are Team Bethenny, the editors are creating the Heather character this season as a nonstop bossy freak.  

There's so many reasons I would never do a reality show.  The fantastic new musical Hamilton has as its tagline, "Who lives who dies who tells your story," and I think our right to "tell our own story" is one of the most fundamental rights and privileges we have as people.  There's no way I would EVER let Andy or the editors tell my story, and what's happening to Heather this season is exactly why.

(Also I don't ever wear cocktail gowns, and I'm a size 10, so I would look like a circus freak next to every cast except Atlanta.)

• Love 10
The women take a trip to the Berkshires to celebrate Dorinda's birthday. Here, a comment sets Dorinda off, the women talk about Bethenny during dinner at a local inn, the boyfriends and husbands arrive, and one surprise guest shows up as well.

Two thoughts after watching the First Look.

1.  Did anyone notice in "Previously on" they showed an interview of Bethenny saying something like, "I don't have a good reason for not liking Heather, I just find her annoying."  That clip was never shown before.  And Bethenny is wearing an outfit that I have not seen in any of her other interviews so far.  Dorinda last week said that she was shooting new talking heads - looks like Bethenny did one too, and they're ret-conning the Heather/Bethenny issue.  Interesting.

2.  Sigh.  Heather, I like you so much.  Please calm down.  They kept showing clips - which are of course Heather's own behavior, so there it is - of Heather being obnoxious.  Naming herself "co-host with the most" of the trip, trying to control events "let's choose bedrooms and then have wine on the veranda", pointing out to Carole/Kristen all the local sights as they're driving up.  What comes across is that Heather is for some reason competitive about which Housewife "owns" the Berkshires.  Oh, Heather.  Please calm down.  

I'm sure, by the way, that Heather IS bossy, and she DID say all those things.  And maybe because of the Season 3 edit, or because they're trying to make sure that we are Team Bethenny, the editors are creating the Heather character this season as a nonstop bossy freak.  

There's so many reasons I would never do a reality show.  The fantastic new musical Hamilton has as its tagline, "Who lives who dies who tells your story," and I think our right to "tell our own story" is one of the most fundamental rights and privileges we have as people.  There's no way I would EVER let Andy or the editors tell my story, and what's happening to Heather this season is exactly why.

(Also I don't ever wear cocktail gowns, and I'm a size 10, so I would look like a circus freak next to every cast except Atlanta.)

They are absolutely highlighting her bossy behavior, which she owns. For me, none of the above are annoying unless they are annoying to those around her. She has always kind of had a hand in dictating what goes on and for the most part everyone seems pretty much OK with it (except for Kristen last year).

What is going to be really interesting to me about this episode is that we see Beth and Heather have a little "thing" at dinner. She tells Carole that Beth is being a bitch. I am wondering how Carole will react to this? By this time Carole and Beth have bonded over Beth's tears while they were shopping, so they are building a relationship. Heather has never been anything except 100% loyal to Carole and never puts up with anyone doing anything to make her unhappy. Ordinarily I would anticipate getting Carole's take by reading her blog, but clearly that is out for the season, and we cannot count on a TH to fill us in. I am hoping that Carole will take to Twitter to either back up Heather, or lend some clarity to how she feels about what is going on between them. It sounds like it is only going to get worse, and Carole and Beth look to have become fairly close in the last few months. 

• Love 5
(edited)

I am curious about Carole's reaction too but I will look at her immediate reaction while Bethenny is complaining for a true read on her stance.  TH is out as they are crafted to shape the narrative but and so is Carole's twitter apparently. If the speculation that she was made to delete a tweet that shed a positive light on Heather by either production or Bethenny then I'll side eye anything she says on there with regards to Heather/Bethenny. 

She won't want to be asked twice to remove a tweet that is not in line with the narrative the show is going for. She is too smart for that.

Edited by Deputy Deputy CoS
  • Love 1

If Heather is counting on Carole to back her up she is in for a rude awakening.

I bet Carole will say she was baked and didn't hear any of it. Then she will come into the room in a bear suit and laugh and laugh!

Her act is as fresh and inviting as the snacks she serves her guests on TV!

• Love 10

Ugh, yes. I couldn't figure out - is she annoying me so much because I'm from the Berkshires and she's appropriating it in a way that is really bugging the shit out of me? Or is it the edit? Because last year I was kind of charmed by her love of the area where I grew up. She's definitely getting the annoying boss edit. I refuse to dislike her though. I refuse! I enjoy liking this dumb cast too much and get so much joy in not disliking any of them. 

• Love 4

Naming herself "co-host with the most" of the trip  [snip]

Was she standing on a chair when she made this declaration?

And maybe because of the Season 3 edit, or because they're trying to make sure that we are Team Bethenny, the editors are creating the Heather character this season as a nonstop bossy freak. 

Heather as nonstop bossy freak was confirmed for me last season in Montana. 

I totally agree with what you said here:

I think our right to "tell our own story" is one of the most fundamental rights and privileges we have as people.  There's no way I would EVER let Andy or the editors tell my story, and what's happening to Heather this season is exactly why.

Right?  That's such a good point.  And I don't even have a business I want to protect!

• Love 4

2.  Sigh.  Heather, I like you so much.  Please calm down.  They kept showing clips - which are of course Heather's own behavior, so there it is - of Heather being obnoxious.  Naming herself "co-host with the most" of the trip, trying to control events "let's choose bedrooms and then have wine on the veranda", pointing out to Carole/Kristen all the local sights as they're driving up.  What comes across is that Heather is for some reason competitive about which Housewife "owns" the Berkshires.  Oh, Heather.  Please calm down. 

The pointing out local sights didn't bother me because Heather also has a house in the Berkshires, so she is familiar with the sights.  It's not like she was interrupting Dorinda's commentary on the sights.

I didn't even notice the "let's choose bedrooms and have wine."  I don't actually know if she said "choose" since Dorinda clearly had chosen the rooms in advance.  But maybe I didn't notice because I'm the same way when I arrive somewhere, I want to put my bag down and get settled first, I don't have a lot of patience for people wandering around.  Heck, at least she didn't seem to try to choose her own room in someone else's house.   But I got nothing on the wine on the veranda part, that was up to Dorinda.  :-)

• Love 5
(edited)

What is going to be really interesting to me about this episode is that we see Beth and Heather have a little "thing" at dinner. She tells Carole that Beth is being a bitch. I am wondering how Carole will react to this? By this time Carole and Beth have bonded over Beth's tears while they were shopping, so they are building a relationship. Heather has never been anything except 100% loyal to Carole and never puts up with anyone doing anything to make her unhappy. Ordinarily I would anticipate getting Carole's take by reading her blog, but clearly that is out for the season, and we cannot count on a TH to fill us in. I am hoping that Carole will take to Twitter to either back up Heather, or lend some clarity to how she feels about what is going on between them. It sounds like it is only going to get worse, and Carole and Beth look to have become fairly close in the last few months. 

That would be sad if Carole does not stick up for Heather.  I thought they were really friends on and off screen and that's why Heather flipped out on Aviva last year. Heather totally had Carole's back.  What is up with Carole?  I would never hang out with someone who was rude to my friend..or just a rude person in general. Not my thing.

Edited by BeachyMum
  • Love 6

It was wonderfullllll to see Dorinda's house.  Not everything is my taste but I can appreciate it.  And for ten minutes, no Beth whining about her childhood, homeliness and horrible hell she's going through.

Not for long.  In the previews, B is flailing and shrieking about like a raw nerve.  It's old already.

• Love 6

I was hoping for a Bethenny-free Berkshires, but she's bringing her Debbie Downer act on the road? Bummer.

I'm sure her screech-fest is due to her sacrificing her time with her kid to be with her coworkers. AHHHHHH SHUDDUP GET OFF MY JOCK. I LEFT MY ONLY CHILD TO BE HERE. AHHHHH.

• Love 9

Chiming in on the love of Dorinda's house. Jeez it is humungoid. I wonder how many bedrooms it has because it seems like each HW is getting their own room. I loved the funky use of color and the bold colored couches. The paint was amazing. It was so shiny with a high lacquer finish. I agree with Ramona that it did remind me of an English estate in some ways but more funky eclectic. I thought going from the bold color rooms to the silly putty walls in the hallways was a little jarring. That is when it felt like 2 different houses to me, not the different color in every room bit. However, I get why she did this. Probably to be a bit of a palate cleanser, but I wish it would have been any other neutral color than that bisque like one - maybe gray or off-white. Anyways, still love the house. 

captured the preview for Secrets and Wives. Lowlife North Shore Long Island HWs with a lot of bad plastic surgery and Botox. The one married to the supposed best North Shore plastic surgeon did not look like a great ad for his services. All need their roots done. All living in fear of being tossed to the curb for a new wife. Or some already tossed. 

Surprised the doctor married someone in his age bracket. Actually, I wouldn't have trouble believing she was a bit older than him. Her game (like her face) must be tight.  The worst of it was the one that was getting divorced from her hedge fund manager husband and was trying to sell her house. I could not spend an entire episode, let alone a season, looking at those terrible implants and the skin on her decolletage. Seriously, it looks like it needs medical attention - from a dermatologist not a plastic surgeon. She should not have the chest skin of an 80  year old Floridian woman who has never used sunscreen. Never get people who are so concerned with having obviously fake boobs, overly tight faces and getting botox every 4-6 weeks but don't seem concerned with trying to address sun damage issues. Do they think the boobs, blond hair and immobile face distracts from it? 

• Love 2

New episode tonight - Birthday in the Berkshires.  And it just so happens to be Andy's 47th birthday today!.  Mazel! 

hbandycohen2015-500x501.jpg

LOL! Mazel, indeed!  I wonder, is that what a boy wears when he is trying to get another boy to give him blowies?

• Love 2
(edited)

My eyes.........owwww

Yikes! I totally agree with you.

That's an image I'll have to convince myself that I never saw.

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 3

That picture is real and he's proud of it. He included it in one of his books. Also what guy doesn't do yard work in a banana hammock? Just like most women wash cars in full view of their neighborhood in bikinis?

• Love 5

Love Dorinda's house! I also loved Dorinda giving it to Kristen about saying John got all too up in her business. Kristen was grinding on him for a while but then scampered away like she was disgusted. Dorinda is no fool.

I hate to admit this but I agreed with Heather about everybody giving Bethenny a pass on her crude behavior just because she had a bad childhood. Lots of people have rotten childhoods but don't act like mean snipey bitches. Heather really does need to stop ragging on B. about every stupid little thing though.

I felt a bit sorry for Ramona's date/friend/ partner, whatever the hell he is to her, this guy really walked into a hornet's nest.

And, oh lawd, another fight at a fancy dinner party! ....to be continued.

• Love 16

This episode solidified my hatred of Bethenny. "Ew, ball gowns, long gloves, knots landing..." Fuck you. Maybe if you had accepted the invite from the start, you would have known everyone's plan to dress fancy.

Besides she made my Heather act like a crazy woman and made her look like she was going to cry and I hate her more for that.

• Love 22