Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

On 2/27/2018 at 2:33 PM, funky-rat said:

We toured the old Eastern State Prison in Philadelphia, and they had an interesting setup - in the early days, anyway.  ....Times were different then, and crimes (for the most part) were as well.  It's not best suited for modern times, but things need to change - modern prisons do little other than guarantee the person will be worse when they leave.

I went on a tour of Eastern State Penitentiary about 10 years ago and found it to be absolutely fascinating. I remember the recorded tour said that when it first opened (in 1829) the prisoners weren't even allowed to talk. The idea was that they were doing penitence - hence the name penitentiary - and should be reflecting on their crimes and how to make themselves better people. It was a novel concept at the time. However, this particular practice of not allowing talk was abandoned within a few years after a number of the prisoners started to go mad from the isolation.... When ESP opened up, and for quite a few years after, its construction was state of the art - the largest building in the US, the first with indoor plumbing (in each cell which were all scheduled to be flushed once a day) - and hence it was a major tourist destination even back then. If anyone is in the Philly area I recommend stopping by:  https://www.easternstate.org/ ..........You're right, Funky-Rat, we need to come up with some better ideas for our prison system. Right now we have hardened gang members thrown in with first time drug offenders, and the main thing they have in common is that majority of them will get released one day, and in worse shape than ever. And when you think of how high the incarceration rates are in the US - that's a major societal problem.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, Mannahatta said:

I went on a tour of Eastern State Penitentiary about 10 years ago and found it to be absolutely fascinating. I remember the recorded tour said that when it first opened (in 1829) the prisoners weren't even allowed to talk. The idea was that they were doing penitence - hence the name penitentiary - and should be reflecting on their crimes and how to make themselves better people. It was a novel concept at the time. However, this particular practice of not allowing talk was abandoned within a few years after a number of the prisoners started to go mad from the isolation.... When ESP opened up, and for quite a few years after, its construction was state of the art - the largest building in the US, the first with indoor plumbing (in each cell which were all scheduled to be flushed once a day) - and hence it was a major tourist destination even back then. If anyone is in the Philly area I recommend stopping by:  https://www.easternstate.org/ ..........You're right, Funky-Rat, we need to come up with some better ideas for our prison system. Right now we have hardened gang members thrown in with first time drug offenders, and the main thing they have in common is that majority of them will get released one day, and in worse shape than ever. And when you think of how high the incarceration rates are in the US - that's a major societal problem.

That sounds pretty cool! I went to Alcatraz a few years ago when I was in SF. It was really fascinating. I wasn't expecting it to be so interesting, and that I would spend almost all day there. 

I'm going to order the Golden State killer book. I'm really curious as to how they ended the book, since Michelle McNamara passed away before she finished it. I heard an interview with Patton Oswalt about the book on NPR last weekend that was both sad and hopeful. She really put so much into the book and it clearly affected her deeply. 

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Mannahatta said:

Have you been there during Halloween for "Terror Behind The Walls?".  Truly freaky.  If you like haunted houses, it's the epitome.

• Love 2

I haven’t read Michelle Mcnamara’s book, but I did start Kat Winter’s book on the subject and had to stop. It was just too terrifying. I can watch and read all day on the subject of friend/lover/spouse killing someone, but the EARONS/GSK case is too spooky. I’m of the belief he was a kid when he started. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Did anyone see the Nightmare Next Door repeat, on the nurse killed at the Riverton, WY prison "honor" farm?
I didn't understand why sex offenders and others convicted of violent crimes, would be at such a place with less security.
I'd have thought it was for low-level drug crimes and fraud and such.
If it was intended for more violent offenders, why wasn't the nurse's office in a place where entry was only past guards.
That poor nurse should have had much more security.
And I had to search for this topic, because it didn't show up on the first 2 pages of my followed shows.

Edited by auntjess
  • Love 9

Watching Evil Lives here on Derek Campos.  I’m having a difficult time feeling sympathy for the mother.  There are so many things she should have done.  No doubt Derek is a psychopath, but she contributed through her inaction and lack of parenting. He should have been evaluated, why did she let her ex take over the discipline, why did she allow Derek to stay in HER house once he got a gun with the baby???  I feel like something is really off with the mom.  I don’t want to see children in the system but I don’t think she should’ve gotten custody of her grandchild.  She even mistakenly called her grandson Derek.  She’s not right.  I hope someone with authority watched this show.  I hope that Social Services is keeping tabs on this woman.

• Love 10

Late night insomnia rant:

I'm watching an old 48 Hours: Hard Evidence about Col. David "Russell" Williams, the highly decorated Canadian Air Force pilot who became a serial rapist and killer in his forties. Detective Jim Smyth interviewed him for about ten hours, and Russell volunteered information about murders the police didn't even know existed. Watching his interview really puts to shame the cops here in the US who trick and lie to try and get confessions, and utilize the legal tactics like sleep deprivation to break their suspects, and many times the confessions are false. I find it absolutely shameful that it is acceptable behavior.

As I've mentioned in the past, I was a litigation paralegal for years. The first three years of my career were working on complex Domestic Relations cases. The last fifteen were primarily contract disputes, but since my attorney had been the juvenile prosecutor, he would get appointed as a special prosecutor, defense attorney occasionally and mental hygiene judge when there were conflicts. The criminal justice system is broken. It can be fixed but no one will fund it and people still believe harsh jail times are deterrents to crimes. There are an overwhelming amount of studies that show alternative sentencing and specialty courts, such as drug court and soldier courts, are much more effective for the community, and you don't have people unable to obtain employment or housing because of a felony conviction. There are major problems when it comes to juveniles, because certain convictions can result in that child being unable to attend public schools. 

As the juvenile prosecutor, Jim established a program that kept you out of juvenile detention or foster care if you did certain things like getting a job, keeping a C average or above and joining some type of group activity such as sports and band, but it can't be one you were in before committing the crime. It was his belief that a change in peers made a huge difference, so if you were a wrestler, got in trouble, then joined band, those new peers change the teens perspective in a positive way. 

Now for one of my many hypocrisies:

On 2/25/2018 at 9:14 AM, partofme said:

I’m against the death penalty so I didn’t so much have a problem with this but I did wonder why him when the government is willing to kill so many who actually are innocent or whose guilt is at least much less certain.  

I am completely against mandatory minimum sentencing guidelines, and think that they are used in a way that punishes minorities and economically disadvantaged persons more harshly than caucasians and people of means. It is supposed to level the playing field, but what happens is the people who can afford it can hire the right experts to make the case a bit risky for the prosecution to take to trial, hence plea agreements to much lesser charges. In addition, the fees for ankle bracelets, drug tests and other alternative sentencing programs can make them inaccessible yet we pay for the incarcerations. 

However, I believe the death penalty still has a place in our criminal justice program. As a juror, I would need video and DNA before I could get there and, in general, think life in prison would be much worse. People sentenced to death have it worse in prison, with not being able to get a job or co mingle with others, so I don't want to make it sound like I think death row isn't as bad, I just think being locked up for life would be worse.

The reason I think it still has a place is for plea agreements and to get the victim's remains. One example in Ohio was Matthew Hoffman. The police said they would never have found the victims if he hadn't told them where he put them. Ariel Castro also plead guilty in exchange for the death penalty being waived, saving his victims from having to testify about their torture. After the judge ruled his daughter was a victim and therefore he couldn't contact her, Castro got pissed, argued with the judge about the domestic relations court paperwork he had filed and the judge said if that judge says he can contact her then he could, but until that happened he couldn't. That was the final bit of control he had, so he killed himself like the pussy he is. 

On 3/2/2018 at 2:16 PM, bubbls said:

I haven’t read Michelle Mcnamara’s book, but I did start Kat Winter’s book on the subject and had to stop. It was just too terrifying. I can watch and read all day on the subject of friend/lover/spouse killing someone, but the EARONS/GSK case is too spooky. I’m of the belief he was a kid when he started. 

Something horrible happened locally a few months ago, and when the news started trickling out, I was chanting to the television to please be domestic relations related. My cousin was saying that couldn't make a difference, but it does to me. To just open fire spraying bullets everywhere and killing strangers is much harder for me to swallow compared to a heat of passion resulting from hurt and anger. It's still awful, especially when kids are injured too, it's just easier to wrap my head around.

• Love 2
On 2/27/2018 at 10:16 PM, Brattinella said:

Okay, does anyone have a clue as to what "The Golden State Killer" is?  What crimes, where, who is he?

Just adding to what others have posted about The Golden State Killer.  THIS IS A HUGE MYSTERY and it's still unsolved.  This killer killed multiple victims.  The facts are horrendous.  They HAVE HIS DNA! Yet, they can't locate him. This case is at the top of my interest list.  I think the special comes on tonight.  I hope it's good. I've seen one before that was excellent.  Please watch so we can discuss.  I'm not sure if it's one night or in episodes.  There are so many murders in this case, I would think it would take longer than an hour or two. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Serial killers don't hold much interest for me, so I won't be watching the show about the Golden State Killer, but I know there's a way to narrow down suspects if you look for familial DNA matches, kind of like adoptees looking for relatives. I think it's pretty controversial, but I'm curious if they've tried anything like that.

Edited by tobeannounced
  • Love 4
(edited)

This guy was soooo slippery, I think he was smart enough to just quit.  He may still be alive, but his ability to jump fences and get away quickly was equally responsible for his luck.  He didn't hesitate to kill anyone who tried to stop him either.

An excerpt from the book

"The EAR went to great lengths to hide his identity. He covered his face and suppressed his voice. He blinded his victims with a flashlight and threatened to kill them if they looked at him. But he was also brazen. Barking dogs didn’t deter him.

Two joggers, a college-age brother and sister, were out running on a foggy night in December 1977 when they spotted a man in a dark ski mask emerging from the hedged walkway of a house on the 3200 block of American River Drive. The man stopped abruptly when he saw the joggers. They continued running. They looked back and saw him quickly climb into an older model step-side pickup truck. Something about the way the man had paused and then moved quickly into the truck made them run faster. They heard the noisy rattle of the truck’s engine as the truck sped toward them. They sprinted around the corner; the truck screeched to a stop and backed up haphazardly to where they were. They ran to another house and hid, watching as the truck followed, turning in circles in the street until the man gave up and sped off. The EAR was extremely careful about self-preservation, but success and the arrogance it breeds punctures holes in master plans.

After San Ramon, the EAR hit twice in San Jose, forty miles south. Holes and I decide to skip San Jose to save time. “I want to show you Davis,” he says. “I think Davis is important.”

McNamara, Michelle. I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer (p. 217). HarperCollins. Kindle Edition. 

AAARRGG. I lived in San Jose then.

Edited by Razzberry
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm not sure if it's one night or in episodes.  There are so many murders in this case, I would think it would take longer than an hour or two. 

It is 2 one hour episodes tonight and 2 one hour episodes tomorrow, for a total of 4 hours. I'm planning to watch it, but I am looking forward to getting the new book more because I know the book won't have the creepy audio of his messages to victims.  Those recordings are the epitome of the inverse of ASMR.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Christina said:

Detective Jim Smyth interviewed him for about ten hours, and Russell volunteered information about murders the police didn't even know existed.

I heard that this was considered a masterpiece of interrogation.
That said, there are good and bad cops in the US, and I'd guess in Canada too.
One big problem that I have with life sentences, is that too many people get out, like that killer who was let out in Texas, because of overcrowding, and killed and raped again.
I think parole board members should bear responsibility for their actions, and maybe bear liability for the actions of the released, and carry insurance to pay any they injure by their decisions.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Lizzing said:

It is 2 one hour episodes tonight and 2 one hour episodes tomorrow, for a total of 4 hours. I'm planning to watch it, but I am looking forward to getting the new book more because I know the book won't have the creepy audio of his messages to victims.  Those recordings are the epitome of the inverse of ASMR.

Thanks for the reminder! I've set the DVR.

• Love 2

I thought the Golden State Killer special was riveting.  And just as I thought.....as I read more and more about him and his attempt to be so scary with his voice and actions.....it turns out that he has a small package.  He must feel insecure about it and angry, thus, he's mean as hell and taking it out on innocent people.  He may not be strong enough or spry enough to kill and escape capture anymore.  

The way he knew so much about what was going on in each home, who was alone, going out on dates, who lived there, etc. .....made me wonder if he worked for phone company.  Could he go to the neighborhood and listen in on their phone lines for that neighborhood?  Just a thought.  I wonder if they have considered it.  Phone company employees also have knowledge about property lines, fences, street access, etc. AND, they have uniforms that give them protection. 

I can hardly wait for Part II.

• Love 10

This Golden State Killer series is bringing back so many memories for me. I was a young woman, early- to -mid-20s, living in Valencia, Ca. and working in Irvine. We were all fucking terrified, to put it mildly, of the "Night Stalker" who, of course, later went on to be confirmed as also being the East Area Rapist, who later was known as the Golden State Killer. One of the victims was the sister-in-law of a co-worker of mine. The co-worker was very pregnant at the time and I can remember her being hospitalized for her extreme distress -- they thought she might lose the baby.  I also remember driving home and cops standing at intersections handing out flyers telling us to be sure to lock our doors and windows. Personally, I think he's dead, because I can't see him just stopping after that much carnage. Maybe some kind of accident or suicide, but I think he's dead. 

• Love 7
(edited)
6 minutes ago, KellsBells said:

This Golden State Killer series is bringing back so many memories for me. I was a young woman, early- to -mid-20s, living in Valencia, Ca. and working in Irvine. We were all fucking terrified, to put it mildly, of the "Night Stalker" who, of course, later went on to be confirmed as also being the East Area Rapist, who later was known as the Golden State Killer. One of the victims was the sister-in-law of a co-worker of mine. The co-worker was very pregnant at the time and I can remember her being hospitalized for her extreme distress -- they thought she might lose the baby.  I also remember driving home and cops standing at intersections handing out flyers telling us to be sure to lock our doors and windows. Personally, I think he's dead, because I can't see him just stopping after that much carnage. Maybe some kind of accident or suicide, but I think he's dead. 

I hope he's dead, but, I would still like to discover who he is and how this carnage all came about. I want them to explore the DNA of his family.  If anyone who is related to him has sent in their DNA for analysis, it should show up.  My dad recently found a few close family members and a bunch of cousins on Ancestry, that came back as matches. 

What I don't understand is why no one recognized those writings that were made public.  CERTAINLY, someone must have thought it looked or sounded familiar.  So odd. I do hope that this NEW special with bring more attention and get more input from the public. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 7
9 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

What I don't understand is why no one recognized those writings that were made public.  CERTAINLY, someone must have thought it looked or sounded familiar.

This.  He was very young when he started all this, were his parents not around, was he an orphan?  Or maybe the teacher who gave this assignment.

• Love 2
(edited)

As I recall, the early victims reported him as a man in his twenties.  From what they said last night, I didn't get a feeling the FBI has a profile on him.  It's all so odd.  One theory is that he's a law enforcement officer, which is possible. He did have a fake badge and was able to disappear into thin air when cops arrived.  So, he had a cover of some sort. I still wonder if he had a way to record, bug or somehow listen in on their conversations in these homes.  (Most were bunched up together, except for some that went far out. No explanation for those isolated incidents of rape. ) I wonder if he was attending some kind of seminar, training classes, etc and took advantage of being out of town.  

Still, I'm leaning to public works person or telephone company worker.  Maybe, when he retired from the phone company, he lost access to his method of surveilling the homes. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3

So, I think they said they ran his DNA to even check for relatives that may have been arrested, but found none.  They think he comes from an upstanding family.   I'm leaning toward something in construction or development planning.

It's too bad Ancestry.com won't with law enforcement.  I had mine tested and it immediately spit out hundreds of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. cousins I never knew about, in order of probability.

• Love 1
(edited)

I can't believe I fell asleep 15 minutes before The Golden State Killer went off last night. Someone please fill me in on what they said in those last minutes.  But, I did see all the rest and have some questions. Either I missed it or perhaps, they are holding some things back for the investigation.

How did he gain access into the homes? Did he enter through an unlocked door or window? Pick the lock? Break a window? I know one place they thought he entered this open house and left some windows unlocked. but, they caught this and he didn't attack in that house.

Was he really that hard up for valuables?  It seems to me that this guy was not from a lower socioeconomic level, so, why would he scrounge around for coins, tv's, etc.? He took photos and trophies from the victims, but, I wonder why he pretended to need the items that were of little value.  I mean, this guy was not really a thief, but, a rapist and killer.  Why the pretense?  

Also, was he really all that hungry that he had to raid their fridge? Seems odd. Had he waited on the stake out for many hours and that's why he was hungry? He could have taken his own food.  Was this just him being cocky? 

Did any victims notice any accent from when he talked to them? Midwestern accent, high tone voice, poor grammar, etc? 

So, based on age estimate, this guy would be in his late 60's now? 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Brattinella said:

This.  He was very young when he started all this, were his parents not around, was he an orphan?  Or maybe the teacher who gave this assignment.

I thought they said that the drawings & writings weren't seriously looked at until Paul Holes found them in the cold case file in 2007.  If that's the case, they'd have been published only 10-ish years ago, with a good chance the killer's parents and middle school teachers were dead or infirm by that time.

As much as I want to know who this killer was, I am super glad Ancestry and the like just don't open up their databases easily. Doing so has already led to at least one guy being wrongfully accused, and it took too long IMO to clear him. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-safe-is-your-dna-familal-search-privacy-rights/  Using criminal databases for familial matches also bug me, but one would hope that at least with crime labs taking the DNA there would be a better chain of custody of the information.

• Love 5

I haven't watched the show yet, (hoping to catch it on IDGo) because I simply can't watch it right before I go to bed.  I plan to though, as this case has always fascinated me.

From what they said last night, I didn't get a feeling the FBI has a profile on him. 

I know that I've seen a FBI profile, but my google-fu is not working well this morning.

My theory is that he did additional rapes/murders outside of the ones he is known/suspected of doing.  If he is alive, he is probably more or less "retired" from killing now.  He may well be still in California.

• Love 4

I've seen the first, and part of the second, then I moved on to something less grim before bed.
I'm not sure why they think he isn't dead, since I thought death (or a disabling injury)  or incarceration were the main reasons that serial crimes stop.
If he's moved elsewhere, you'd think someone would have noticed if m.o. is the same, even if he emigrated.
Has anyone, or is there a way, to check for deaths of men of the right age, living in the right area, within say, a month, after the last crime?

• Love 3

I'm not sure why they think he isn't dead, since I thought death (or a disabling injury)  or incarceration were the main reasons that serial crimes stop.

He probably is dead, but they may be thinking of the BTK case.  Everyone thought that he was dead, incarcerated, in a mental illness facility, etc. and couldn't possibly be living in Wichita.  But, of course, he WAS still living right there in Wichita and had, in fact, changed his MO somewhat and gone on to murder other people.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I can't believe I fell asleep 15 minutes before The Golden State Killer went off last night. Someone please fill me in on what they said in those last minutes.  But, I did see all the rest and have some questions. Either I missed it or perhaps, they are holding some things back for the investigation.

How did he gain access into the homes? 

Locked windows or sliding patio doors were no problem for him to open with a screwdriver.  He would sometimes break in when no one was home and leave a door unlocked just to make it easier.

Was he really that hard up for valuables?  Why the pretense?  

I think that was more misdirection, to throw them off.  He would act like he needed money, but only took memento-type stuff.

Also, was he really all that hungry that he had to raid their fridge? 

Yeah, that's weird.  They think it's more about power and control, like he's so comfortable taking over the house.

Did any victims notice any accent from when he talked to them? Midwestern accent, high tone voice, poor grammar, etc? 

A few said he would stutter occasionally, a couple said they detected a Mexican accent or a high pitched whine, but this could all be an act.  He's too careful, I think he fakes it.

So, based on age estimate, this guy would be in his late 60's now? 

Probably.  I recorded it so I'll have to get back to you on the ending.  

• Love 4

I binge watched the GSK show this afternoon. Half way through the first episode I began to glance in the bookcase glass reflection to make sure nobody was sneaking up on me. 

I was really interested in the 17-year-old long-distance-runner kid who chased the prowler down. Surely there was a composite drawn from his experience, but it wasn’t mentioned. He described him as his own age, give or take. When I was that age I and my friends were very adept at judging if a boy was our age or not. At 17 even someone 19 would definitely be detected as not-in-high-school and “older.” It’s been my theory he was very, very young in the beginning. 

The “I’m gonna kill you” phone recording sounds like a ten-year-old making a crank call. I wish the detective had commented on how seriously he takes it. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, auntjess said:

Has anyone, or is there a way, to check for deaths of men of the right age, living in the right area, within say, a month, after the last crime?

I had that same thought. Personally, I think he's either LE or military. Or he's the most organized, methodical person who ever lived. I think checking California obits for, say, a year-long time frame might give some interesting clues. 

• Love 2

I thought the GS series was very well done. All I have to say is I don't blame the people who obscured their identity one bit. We're talking about a person who was so vindictive he deliberately attacked a man who spoke negatively about him in a community meeting. If he's alive, I wouldn't put it past him, even at an old age, to hunt any of them down and try to scare them, at least.

Him being dead makes sense but I want him to be alive because I really want his victims to get the chance to face him in court.

• Love 8
11 hours ago, bubbls said:

The “I’m gonna kill you” phone recording sounds like a ten-year-old making a crank call. I wish the detective had commented on how seriously he takes it. 

From Los Angeles Magazine:

Sacramento detectives put a tap on one rape victim’s phone.  In January 1978, the tap recorded a terrifying, obscene phone call. As the young woman waited silently on the phone, knowing the police tap was recording, the caller breathed heavily, then whispered menacingly. “Gonna kill you,” he repeated. “Bitch,” he hissed. “Whore.”  Both the victim and the police believe the caller was the Golden State Killer.

Here are the audio recordings.  The first one may be the normal voice of the killer.  The last one contains foul language.

• Love 4

I want the GS to be dead only because I just don't think he could go completely underground.  I think he would've changed things up but he would still be causing grievous harm in some way, shape or form.  A monster doesn't change their spots.

• Love 6

If you are arrested for a felony and especially if you are in a federal prison I believe your DNA now goes into COTIS,  yep they can get ya! I haven't watched this latest series, you guys loved it? I've got it on my DVR, have seen so many about this nasty killer, wasn't sure if I could watch another one.  Thanks. 

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, atlantaloves said:

If you are arrested for a felony and especially if you are in a federal prison I believe your DNA now goes into COTIS,  yep they can get ya! I haven't watched this latest series, you guys loved it? I've got it on my DVR, have seen so many about this nasty killer, wasn't sure if I could watch another one.  Thanks. 

Unless he was arrested prior to them beginning to do that. I can’t remember when it started. I’d like to think if someone was arrested before and still in prison his dna has been collected. But we are talking about the government here. 

I enjoyed the series because there’s so little about this tragedy out there considering how significant it is. The show was a little scattered though. IMO it needed either a Crimes To Remember treatment or longer running time than a mere 4 hours. 

• Love 3

I tend to agree with Paul Holes about GSK still being alive.  Normally they just can't quit, but this guy is different.  He first quit for 5 years, did one more, and with the advances in DNA decided not to press his luck.  

• Love 3

With this new documentary on the Golden State Killer AND other media pleas, it is possible for them to really SOLVE this thing, imo.  It is doable. 

I think it's great how all these at home websleuths are working on the mystery big time.  Plus, all the professionals.  I really am pulling for them. If I could, I'd take a leave of absence and work on it full time. 

• Love 4
(edited)

What got me on the Golden State one, was the real estate agent who noticed, after a stranger toured the house, that a window lock had been removed. 
She should have called the cops, AND had the lock replaced.  Sorry, but she's culpable in that crime.
And I was surprised the way they were using the term "Realtor," which doesn't apply to every real estate agent.

ETA I see A Crime to Remember has its own forum, with bunches of files.  Oh well.

Edited by auntjess
  • Love 2

Re: last night's See No Evil

The detective was all shocked because this seemingly harmless little old lady committed a murder but I was more shocked that this little old lady was cruising and picking up a random young stranger for hotel sex. Not knocking it, just didn't see it coming LOL.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, auntjess said:

What got me on the Golden State one, was the real estate agent who noticed, after a stranger toured the house, that a window lock had been removed. 
She should have called the cops, AND had the lock replaced.  Sorry, but she's culpable in that crime.
And I was surprised the way they were using the term "Realtor," which doesn't apply to every real estate agent.

ETA I see A Crime to Remember has its own forum, with bunches of files.  Oh well.

I must have misunderstood. I thought that she did notice the locks were tampered with, called the police and the likely planned entry by the Golden State killer was foiled. 

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I must have misunderstood. I thought that she did notice the locks were tampered with, called the police and the likely planned entry by the Golden State killer was foiled. 

I think you’re right.

My realtor told me about the time she’d had an open house and as she was closing up found one of the men who’d toured the house hiding in a closet. Gives me chills to this day. I can’t remember if she called the police or not. He ran off when he was found out. 

• Love 5
(edited)
6 hours ago, Razzberry said:

I tend to agree with Paul Holes about GSK still being alive.  Normally they just can't quit, but this guy is different.  He first quit for 5 years, did one more, and with the advances in DNA decided not to press his luck.  

I just wonder if there's a series of crimes in some other state, and no one thought to connect him.  Because we know that there are thousands of cases where DNA hasn't been tested, because of money or no one pulls out the case.
I'll rewatch the video, but I didn't hear them say the agent called police.

OK, I rewatched, and I didn't hear that the agent called police when she noticed the locks missing.  As I heard it, it sounded like they talked with her after the murder, and she said that, because I can't imagine not doing anything if they knew before.

Edited by auntjess
  • Love 4

There are massive discussions on reddit and pro boards on EARONS/GSK along with the Visalia Ransacker who some think was early GSK. I’ve been spending a lot of time there. I’m going back now. If y’all don’t hear from me in a week or so someone come forcibly rescue me from the rabbit hole! If you can’t get me out please feed my cats. 

• Love 10

I'm liking Homicide City, with crimes in Philadelphia.
Last night was Main Line murder, with similar crimes in the city.
I always enjoy shows where people talk "right," with the mid-Atlantic accents that mean home, to me.

• Love 4

I thought the Golden State Killer series was well done.  It's a lot of information to put into a program and digest and they did an admirable job. 

I agree with others who believe GSK started as a teen.  The 17 year old runner who went after him was the best witness - - as has been said, at that age, you're pretty good at determining whether someone is your age.  It also makes sense that, at least in the beginning, no one expected the ESR/GSK to be a teen and so he could have been moving through Sacramento easily and undetected. 

I don't agree that GSK is still alive.  He was a sadistic, vindictive sociopath.  People like that ONLY stop if they are incarcerated or dead.  GSK did have a lot of control and he was very organized but he got off on this shit.  Not only that but once he went down to southern California, he seemed to be fracturing a bit.  He lost control of a few of the situations.  

As far as GSK taking a break from 1981 to 1986, did anyone consider that he could have been incarcerated for something else?   Or he could have been out of the area because of his job or even school.  

I also noted that it was said on the program that after the last killing in 1986 of the 18 year old girl in Irvine that GSK was somehow done or satisfied.  That seems ridiculous to me.  The poor girl was killed horribly and brutally -  much like his earlier victims. So I don't buy that this kill would have satiated him in some way. 

I would love to see this case solved. 

• Love 13