Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

I was with it up until they described the assault/rape/murder in excruciating detail to her mom.  She already knew most of it, no need to rub her nose in it 30 years later!  I was crying, too.  That was beyond the pale.  It was only our crappy reception of ID last night that saved ME from some of the details; it kept pixelating and buffering, hard to watch.

• Love 5

I appreciate the input on Breaking Homicide.  It was rather bold. I wasn't sure if it was real.  Apparently so.  I'll have to give it more thought, but, I wonder if those details, though unpleasant were necessary.  Hmm....I'll consider it. Still, if it causes the monster who did it to get justice, then, It served a purpose.  

I don't know much about the two guys featured.  I'll check them out.  Has anyone seen the first episode. I think it aired last week.  I didn't see that one. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe

I wasn’t’ sure what to make of Breaking Homicide either.  At first it was somewhat interesting, but quickly became exploitative.  They had no hard evidence and yet decided to share with the mother the theory that they had come up with.  I agree with the observation that It did seem completely unnecessary and horribly cruel to go into that degree of detail with her, but what struck me even stranger was her almost non-reaction.  I’ve never lost a child, least of all in such a horrific manner, but I can only imagine hearing something like that would have caused me to, first, throw up and then curl up in a little ball.  The whole thing seemed somewhat unbelievable. 

Edited by Fable
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I appreciate the input on Breaking Homicide.  It was rather bold. I wasn't sure if it was real.  Apparently so.  I'll have to give it more thought, but, I wonder if those details, though unpleasant were necessary.  Hmm....I'll consider it. Still, if it causes the monster who did it to get justice, then, It served a purpose.  

I don't know much about the two guys featured.  I'll check them out.  Has anyone seen the first episode. I think it aired last week.  I didn't see that one. 

I thought that this was the first one.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Fable said:

I wasn’t’ sure what to make of Breaking Homicide either.  At first it was somewhat interesting, but quickly became exploitative.  They had no hard evidence and yet decided to share with the mother the theory that they had come up with.  I agree with the observation that It did seem completely unnecessary and horribly cruel to go into that degree of detail with her, but what struck me even stranger was her almost non-reaction.  I’ve never lost a child, least of all in such a horrific manner, but I can only imagine hearing something like that would have caused me to, first, throw up and then curl up in a little ball.  The whole thing seemed somewhat unbelievable. 

I completely agree with this. I think if I had been the man they ultimately decided was probably the killer I would have sued the pants off of them for so publicly accusing me of something they had absolutely no proof of. This seems incredibly irresponsible to me -- and yes, when they went into the gory details of the killing with the mother I changed the channel. That was it for me. 

• Love 5

Re: Breaking Homicide

These two guys did a 2 or 3 parter OJ show last year (when the OJ thing was real big again) called Hard Evidence: Is OJ Innocent. They were going to re-examine the OJ evidence & they worked w/an OJ supporter (and it was produce by OJ supporter Marin Sheen).  I didn’t like them on that, especially Derek so I didn’t even bother with this. Also the promo ran too many times until I just got sick of it. (Singing ‘I will leave the light on...’)

Edited by Tdoc72
  • Love 3

Breaking Homicide.  It seemed apparent, to me, the mother had heard the details of her daughters death back when the autopsy was originally released.   The entire show just went over the same road the detectives  had traveled at the time this happened.   He didn't uncover anything else that wasn't known.   What was the point? The answer is another crime show because they are popular and lucrative . I don't criticize Derrick for doing this.  I am a firm believer in creating abundance for yourself however you can, legally, of course. :>

• Love 1

It appeared that the work they did on Breaking Homicide uncovered who the little girl's killer was.  It appeared that the little girl's father knew this man was standing nearby when he dropped her off, but, it didn't seem that the other people knew of this. Plus, the alleged killer's brother revealed of the the man's admission that he killed a girl named Michelle.  So, it seemed to me like they unearthed quite a bit and it was info the police didn't have.   Still, I'm not fully on board. I recall how I found out about Kelly Seigler on Cold Justice.  She may have done some good work on that show, but, her past conduct was so revolting, that I couldn't bare to watch her anymore. I'll read some more about this two on this show.  I don't hold them using details about the rape/murder against them.  It was horrific and that's how those crimes should be described, if there is a purpose, such as catching and prosecuting a predator. 

• Love 1

I am pretty sure Derrick did not uncover anything new.  The reason the killer isn't in jail is due to no proof linking him.  All they have is circumstantial evidence. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Tdoc72 said:

Re: Breaking Homicide

These two guys did a 2 or 3 parter OJ show last year (when the OJ thing was real big again) called Hard Evidence: Is OJ Innocent. They were going to re-examine the OJ evidence & they worked w/an OJ supporter (and it was produce by OJ supporter Marin Sheen).  I didn’t like them on that, especially Derek so I didn’t even bother with this. Also the promo ran too many times until I just got sick of it. (Singing ‘I will leave the light on...’)

I KNEW I recognized that fuckface from somewhere!  Thank yew!!!  :-)

• Love 10

This is another like the Kelly Whatsername show?  What's the point?
From the original promos, it seemed like they were going to do crimes that had never been reopened.

Edited by auntjess
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, Wings said:

Maria Clark and Grace and Abrams are doing the exact same thing. 

I haven't watched these, but do they present old evidence like it is new and never heard before until they uncovered it?  I feel these guys were a bit deceptive, acting like they had cracked a case wide open.  If they can make money doing that, I guess good for them, though I found it irritating and pretentious.  

For the record, there is no way Joe Pelland could have his face shown on TV without his permission, so I have to question everything about that encounter.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Fable said:

I haven't watched these, but do they present old evidence like it is new and never heard before until they uncovered it?  I feel these guys were a bit deceptive, acting like they had cracked a case wide open.  If they can make money doing that, I guess good for them, though I found it irritating and pretentious.  

For the record, there is no way Joe Pelland could have his face shown on TV without his permission, so I have to question everything about that encounter.  

With Marcia and Grace/Abrams they are not bringing new information.  They are going over the evidence and just coming to the same conclusion that we all have.  Kacey killed her daughter by accidental sedation. 

• Love 3
On 4/16/2018 at 1:56 PM, walnutqueen said:

Wow.  I had a totally different reaction to this show.  I saw a younger famewhore ex-cop with an older famewhore ex-cop who consistently belaboured the most disgusting salacious points of a poor young child's degradation & torture in an inappropriately lurid manner, all for dramatic tv posturing & self aggrandization.

It wasn't just you. I was so uncomfortable by the way they questioned the mom and her victimized daughter and the explicit discussions of the way the children were abused. Who is the target audience for this show? Because as a victim of childhood sexual abuse, I was triggered and disgusted. It was too much. I've watched a million true crime shows but this is the first time I've ever felt the storytelling was gratuitous and voyeuristic, and that's saying something given the softcore treatment ID often gives its shows.

Eta: I turned it off 2/3 of the way through so I missed the end part with the mom. Sounds like it was for the best. 

Edited by ridethemaverick
  • Love 9
14 hours ago, ridethemaverick said:

It wasn't just you. I was so uncomfortable by the way they questioned the mom and her victimized daughter and the explicit discussions of the way the children were abused. Who is the target audience for this show? Because as a victim of childhood sexual abuse, I was triggered and disgusted. It was too much. I've watched a million true crime shows but this is the first time I've ever felt the storytelling was gratuitous and voyeuristic, and that's saying something given the softcore treatment ID often gives its shows.

Eta: I turned it off 2/3 of the way through so I missed the end part with the mom. Sounds like it was for the best. 

Me too.  

• Love 8

I'd post this on the Investigation Discovery forum, but it is very slow over there. Did anyone catch "Natalie Wood. An American Murder Mystery"? I was really looking forward to it but there was really nothing new as far as I could tell. 

• Love 3

Just saw an episode Of Married with Secrets, it was on this season. I had watched it earlier this year. About Virginia Urden and her 2 sons who went missing. Her ex had adopted them . The mother/grandmother searched for years for them to no avail. 

Finally someone comes forward. The son of the woman who had married Virginia's ex Gerald Uden,Alice. The couple had moved from Wyoming to Missouri. Good life, prosperous family. The now wife, Alice had killed one of her husbands years before and HER son thought their might be a connection.

She had killed someone and put him in a mineshaft. It took fifteen years (I rewound to make sure) to find his body. Gerald really loves her and finds out she is being questioned by police and steps in to confess to killing three people, two of them children and his adopted sons. Alice did not like that he paid child support. The grandmother who searched for years died a few months before Gerald's confession. They have never recovered the bodies.

A sad story. I watched it again because I wanted to hear it again — not sure why.  Everyday evil. Or the banality of evil. Broke my heart.

They were next to the Wind River reservation which was a subject of a recent movie. It was just OK, had they used this storyline it would have been much better and actually less blood shed.

Edited by applecrisp
  • Love 2
On 4/16/2018 at 12:56 PM, walnutqueen said:

Wow.  I had a totally different reaction to this show.  I saw a younger famewhore ex-cop with an older famewhore ex-cop who consistently belaboured the most disgusting salacious points of a poor young child's degradation & torture in an inappropriately lurid manner, all for dramatic tv posturing & self aggrandization.

You know, I didn’t even watch it and this was the impression I got. The vomit-inducing sappy music they played on all 500 million ads for it turned me off initially and clued me in that it was probably going to be full of emotional drahhhhma. 

• Love 3

I tried another episode of Breaking Homicide, as it was about a murder near me in Chapel Hill, NC (UNC). I've followed it pretty closely, since it happened and have had lots of questions.    The victim was UNC student Faith Hedgpeth.  This episode was well done and actually answered a lot of questions that the public has had about this case for years.  Chapel Hill police gave a short interview in the beginning, but, could not disclose more, since the case is still open.  The show worked on what they knew, what they discovered and brought a lot of things to light. There are so many players, so, I won't go into how they all panned out, but, the main thing was all the oddities about the victim's best friend/roommate.  From the beginning, so many things about this person's actions and explanations have been bizarre, sketchy and unbelievable.  She's been off the grid and refusing interviews for years.  One thing that astounded me was all the partying and drinking by underage girls. 

https://www.investigationdiscovery.com/tv-shows/breaking-homicide/full-episodes/who-killed-faith 

• Love 1

Speaking of the murderous Peterson trio, the fact that is just straight up weird to me is this: Scott P murdered Laci and was convicted of murder in 2004.  Drew P's fourth & murdered wife Stacy had 2 kids with him, one of which she named Lacy in 2005, well after the Scott murder was widely publicised.  It's just weird to name your kid the same as a well known murder victim then you end up murdered as well. 

• Love 10

Just saw a favorite Forensic Files.
A man is on trial for killing 2 women, and setting a fire to destroy evidence.
Not only is he smoking a cigarette while he douses the room with gasoline, but at the trial, he is sporting a new tattoo.  
He has two tear drops in the corner of his eye.

Spoiler

Title is something like Smoke In Your Eyes.)

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, auntjess said:

Just saw a favorite Forensic Files.
A man is on trial for killing 2 women, and setting a fire to destroy evidence.
Not only is he smoking a cigarette while he douses the room with gasoline, but at the trial, he is sporting a new tattoo.  
He has two tear drops in the corner of his eye.

Hide contents

Title is something like Smoke In Your Eyes.)

Did the show also have smart aleck remarks, like, using multiple double entendres?  There are a couple where they really seem to get as many in an episode as possible.  It's so annoying.  I mean, the show is about murder, but, they seem to try to be funny.

Did anyone see the recent repeat of Disappearance about Jennifer Kesse?  She just vanished from her apt in Orlando in 2006.   Her car was recovered parked not far from her condo.  The person leaving the car was caught on camera, but, just a snippet, and his face was obscured.  This is such a mystery.  It really has me baffled?  Anyone else familiar with it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Jennifer_Kesse

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Did the show also have smart aleck remarks, like, using multiple double entendres?  There are a couple where they really seem to get as many in an episode as possible.  It's so annoying.  I mean, the show is about murder, but, they seem to try to be funny.

I've never noticed that in Forensic Files.
I think it's Nightmare Next Door that does that.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, auntjess said:

I've never noticed that in Forensic Files.
I think it's Nightmare Next Door that does that.

Oh, no. I haven't seen in Forensic Files.  It seems to be on ID Discovery's little shows. 

• Love 1
On 4/23/2018 at 6:22 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Did anyone see the recent repeat of Disappearance about Jennifer Kesse?  She just vanished from her apt in Orlando in 2006.   Her car was recovered parked not far from her condo.  The person leaving the car was caught on camera, but, just a snippet, and his face was obscured.  This is such a mystery.  It really has me baffled?  Anyone else familiar with it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Jennifer_Kesse

The images are SO frustrating! I’ve looked at them a thousand times. I hope her family gets some answers. Every time I see an episode on her I’m yelling at the tv “Move in with your parents for a few weeks, Jennifer!” I’m assuming she was torn between her instinctual fear vs. thinking she was being paranoid. Every woman has this battle throughout her life I’m sure. I have. 

Edited by bubbls
  • Love 6
16 minutes ago, Queena said:

EARS/ON has been captured! 100% DNA match. Presser tomorrow. This is amazing. 

The Freeman/Bible case has been solved. It's a great week for solving crimes. Sadly, the girls are dead. Their case was on Disappeared and Unsolved Mysteries. https://www.google.com/amp/kfor.com/2018/04/23/suspect-in-custody-in-connection-to-case-of-2-oklahoma-girls-missing-since-1999/amp/

WHAT?!!!! Oh my gosh! I’ve been lost in this case since I discovered it. At the risk of being a big sap I’ll admit to having tears in my eyes! Add a gazillion exclamation points to this!

• Love 4

Yeah, I saw it on Reddit and didn't know if it was true until I checked around more.  He was a police officer for a short time.

more info

Edited to add:  After watching Unmasking a Killer, I wondered why they weren't running the Visalia Ransacker's fingerprints through every possible database. I have no idea if that played any role in catching this guy, but it seemed like it could have been one way.

Edited by Josette
  • Love 7

The Freeman/Bible case is very heartbreaking. It appears that a few people knew who the killers were, and the police department dropped the ball. 

I posted here how I wasn't that interested in EARS/ON because the killer hadn't been caught. 2-3 months later, and they've caught him! I'm so glad that ID Channel has a great On Demand library. I'll go back and re-watch every program. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Queena said:

EARS/ON has been captured! 100% DNA match. Presser tomorrow. This is amazing. 

The Freeman/Bible case has been solved. It's a great week for solving crimes. Sadly, the girls are dead. Their case was on Disappeared and Unsolved Mysteries. https://www.google.com/amp/kfor.com/2018/04/23/suspect-in-custody-in-connection-to-case-of-2-oklahoma-girls-missing-since-1999/amp/

I was coming here to see if everyone knew - lol. I'm not finding anything online about the DNA match. Is that confirmed?

• Love 2

Wow, big news all around in the cold case world today. huh? 

I'm sadly not surprised to learn the girls in the Freeman/Bible case are dead-a story that creepy, I figured it wasn't going to have a happy ending, unfortunately. But I am very glad that their loved ones can finally see some kind of justice at long last. And I'm glad the families of those affected by the Golden State Killer can get the same as well.

• Love 3

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article209779364.html

"Joseph James DeAngelo ...

DeAngelo, 72, is listed in Sacramento County jail records as being booked early this morning on two counts of murder from a Ventura County Sheriff's Department warrant.

Authorities would not confirm DeAngelo is the East Area Rapist suspect Wednesday morning, but one official at the house said more information would be available at a noon press conference."

Edited by auntjess
  • Love 4

I am stunned and slightly sad that Michelle McNamara didn't live to see the Golden State Killer get caught. I can't wait to see his face, learn how they caught him and disclose what he's been doing for the last few decades. I'd love to know if he was aware of the book and all if the tv shows on him.

• Love 10
10 minutes ago, atlantaloves said:

YES YES YES....THIS IS WONDERFUL!!!!!! THANK YOU dna. ?

Also, there must have been a tip to get the authorities to collect that DNA from the suspect's discarded trash.  Because if he'd been a suspect before, wouldn't they have done that some time ago?  (Unless, of course, that collected DNA was treated like rape kit DNA, and not tested for a long time).  So many questions ...

• Love 8

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5656217/Suspected-Golden-State-Killer-responsible-12-homicides-50-rapes-ARRESTED.html

Apparently he wasn't exactly flying under the radar as at least some of the neighbors were creeped out by his ticking time bomb demeanor. It really makes one wonder what he's been up to all these years and how the people closest to him never suspected him. Apparently he had been married and divorced, and has 3 adult daughters. I wonder if he had given any of them any of the so-called trophies he had stolen - some valuable, some just odd. Not just jewelry but items like a full set of dishes.

I haven't read Michelle McNamara's book. Did she give clues about a specific suspect?

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Mannahatta said:

I wonder if he had given any of them any of the so-called trophies he had stolen - some valuable, some just odd. Not just jewelry but items like a full set of dishes.

Eek. There's a creepy thought. 

• Love 5

Recall how on that last 3 segment special, they said that when he was almost caught, he would disappear....even with police all around!  I guess so.  I wonder if he had a uniform in his bag or just pulled out his badge to fade into the background.  There were many theories that he was into real estate. I wonder if that is true. I had leaned towards him being a utility person, since he seemed to know so many details about the personal lives of people in the homes.  I thought he was listening in on their phone calls.  Can't wait to find out many details.  Now THIS will make for a great new SPECIAL.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 12