Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 6:06 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Okay.....tonight was the MOST very BIZARRE story that I've seen on ID Discovery.  It was on Grave Secrets.  Elder lady Loretta Bowersock disappears from a mall or says her mysterious, long time boyfriend/husband? who dropped her off there to shop.  During the investigation, Loretta's adult daughter tries to comfort this man and when they hug, she FEELS the connection between this man and her mother...she FEELS FEAR....then they KISS and she feels this is their farewell kiss!  I'm NOT kidding.  Pretty weird. Sort of like a Ghost (the movie) moment. You gotta  see this story.  So, cops are suspecting this man killed the lady, because they were OUT of money, he was a convict, lied about it all and there was no videotape of him dropping off the lady at the mall. THEN it gets really interesting.  I think naivete ran in that family. 

I saw that one before, and yes, it was......creepy, and I don't mean in a paranormal way.

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

I saw that one before, and yes, it was......creepy, and I don't mean in a paranormal way.

Yeah, because the adult daughter talked about how she looked up to this man as a father figure, they were family, etc.  So, he gives her a lip lock on the hills of her mother's murder? OMG.....he must have felt bad about it. He did commit suicide. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, KellsBells said:

Amen! Why not just discuss them all here? It's not even like this spot is overflowing with commenters. 

Guilty as charged.  I can barely keep up with the rando forums I "follow", much less post anything intelligible in any of them.  Ride & die catchall forum follower, here.

(Where the hell else can I freely admit to having a "kill if I'm dying" list?).

• Love 8
1 hour ago, auntjess said:

Tonight, 2/1/18, at 8PM ET, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6282376/
This is what I think is a classic, where the off-duty cop arrests a guy for shoplifting, and it leads to catching these serial killers.
It's Pandora's Box, episode Dungeon of Dread.

Ah, Leonard Lake and Charles Ng, the most disgusting and death-penalty-deserving pair that ever lived,  Lake got off easy, cyanide.

• Love 10

One thing that amazes me is how some people just have little regard for a life and don't seem to be bothered by just killing somebody with the drop of a hat.  I mean, long time family friend, wife of 35 years, PARENTS, or children.  I sort of laugh when a suspect is being questioned about a murder and they deny guilt while exclaiming.  NO, I couldn't have killed her.  I LOVED HER!  So what.  They must not read the news much, because people who profess their love, murder that loved one all the time.  In fact, you are more likely to murder someone you love....or claim you love.  I should  preface that. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 10
On 1/30/2018 at 5:06 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Well, I think they may have had some cut backs at the ID Discovery channel.  Their latest show is called "BRIDE KILLA."   What are they trying to say with that title? Hmmmmm

Okay.....tonight was the MOST very BIZARRE story that I've seen on ID Discovery.  It was on Grave Secrets.  Elder lady Loretta Bowersock disappears from a mall or says her mysterious, long time boyfriend/husband? who dropped her off there to shop.  During the investigation, Loretta's adult daughter tries to comfort this man and when they hug, she FEELS the connection between this man and her mother...she FEELS FEAR....then they KISS and she feels this is their farewell kiss!  I'm NOT kidding.  Pretty weird. Sort of like a Ghost (the movie) moment. You gotta  see this story.  So, cops are suspecting this man killed the lady, because they were OUT of money, he was a convict, lied about it all and there was no videotape of him dropping off the lady at the mall. THEN it gets really interesting.  I think naivete ran in that family. 

I saw that, too. I had to rewind it to make sure I heard correctly.  That was super creepy and, for lack of a better word...icky. 

• Love 4

A new batch of Forensic Files had a show on one of the two "spoiled son in rich Texas family, hires roommate/friend to kill family."
This was one where dad owned an airplane sales/rental company, and son's alibi was dinner with FBI agent, father of girlfriend.
The other show is family comes home from graduation dinner for son, who's actually dropped out of school.  
Ambush at home leaves son with shoulder wound, and brother and parents dead.
The cases seem so similar.  Did one inspire the other.  Any compare and contrast articles?

ETA:  This is FF.  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1098683/?ref_=ttep_ep17

Edited by auntjess
  • Love 2

I just watched the new Betrayed....Dying To Be Popular.  The lead detective unknowingly gave the killer away during his opening interview.  Sad story though.

I hope we don't break off into separate forums, as I only come here and Dateline for my crime discussion.

• Love 9

Anyone see 20/20 last night?  Two 12 year old girls stab their friend 19 times.  I posted on the 20/20 thread on this site.   It was referred to as the Slender Man case.

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1

I was getting worried that Vanity Fair Confidential wasn't returning since it's the only show I watch on the ID channel that has a budget over $15 and a six-pack of gas station beer. But my DVR shows it's airing next week. YAY!

Agree with everyone who thought the James Patterson series is a steaming pile of poo. I turned it on briefly to catch the DeeDee/Gypsy case and had to look at the on-screen guide to make sure it was the correct episode since the girl playing "Gypsy" resembled her as much as I look like George Washington. 

Besides VFC and Disappeared, I've pretty much given up on watching ID. I did watch Village of the Damned and, it turns out after I read a bunch of articles about what happened in that town, the only thing I learned was that ID has a zero-dollar line item for fact checkers; many of the "facts" in that series never even happened at all. 

Watching a re-airing of Who Killed Jane Doe, about the Apple Valley murder and the woman’s body being found in the desert. Michael Richardson was a cold-blooded killer, and I had no idea he’d been here in NC in prison when he escaped and then killed his wife and mother-in-law!

• Love 1
On 2/3/2018 at 1:08 PM, Giant Misfit said:

Besides VFC and Disappeared, I've pretty much given up on watching ID.

But, but... they're being topical, and for Super Sunday, they're running several NFL star murdered shows.  
This way, you can still have football, even if you don't like watching the game.

• Love 4
52 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

I haven't seen it yet, but I do want to.  Was it on last night?

It’s on everyday for 2 hours except Friday. It took the place of Nancy Grace. 2nd hour is usually about the same as the first hour. Here it is on from 5 - 7pm.(Indiana) Love Ashleigh. So down to earth. NOTHING like Nancy Grace.

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, hoosiermom said:

It’s on everyday for 2 hours except Friday. It took the place of Nancy Grace. 2nd hour is usually about the same as the first hour. Here it is on from 5 - 7pm.(Indiana) Love Ashleigh. So down to earth. NOTHING like Nancy Grace.

Thank you!  I like Ashleigh, too.

• Love 1

True Crime with Aphrodite Jones about the murder of Steve McNair was really intriguing.  She posed some interesting questions about that investigation.  The story the police gave didn't seem to pan out, after the truth was discovered.  I wonder if the case will ever really be solved. The police concluded that it was a murder/suicide by his alleged mistress.  I'm not sure if this a trailer or actual episode, but, I saw it on ID Discovery.  

• Love 2

What about the Nancy Pfister (Aspen socialite murder. She dated Jack Nicholson at one point.) murder case?   I can't recall what it was on, but, it came on ID Discovery, I think. that was a real mystery.  So many viable culprits.  They finally got the guy, who finally confessed, but, there were things that didn't add up.  AND HER BEST FRIEND/assistant! OMG.  That lady was a real mystery.  WHY did she lie so much in the beginning.  I never did figure that one out.  Eventually they dismissed murder charge against her.  Still, there were so many lies she told.  AND at the end she told reporter she hoped the lady's daughter would forgive her.  He said, for what?  She didn't know.  So, why did she ask for forgiveness?  So odd.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

Is this the same one who pretended he was graduating from college?

I think so. This is watch and dinner one.
The other one killed both parents and sister, and dad owned airplane leasing/sales company.

• Love 1

Yes, that's him.  Supposedly he really only had enough credits to qualify as a freshman.  But how nice, that courtesy of Texas, he managed to get a bachelor's and almost a master's while incarcerated.  There are so many intelligent decent people in this country that would love to go to college but can't afford it, but yet this guy gets handed an education (after already squandering one).

Edited by Angeltoes
  • Love 15

Is anyone watching Crime Watch Daily? LMAO, something is seriously wrong. They keep rerunning the same segment of the show over and over after each commercial break. I don’t know if it’s that way nationally today, or just on WRCB-TV in Chattanooga. It’s the Kandi Hall story where her husband Rob shot her boss/lover Emmet in Walgreen’s parking lot. 

It’s ridiculous! There’s another story that’s never going to make it on the show today since they keep rerunning the same segment of tape.

• Love 4

This is rather random and not necessarily about one particular show or another, but I’m snowed in and so I have been binge watching ID.  I’m curious why people are so upset about suspects/fugitives who commit suicide to avoid justice.  Good riddance I say!  Why waste tax payer money on a trial and/or prison term. 

• Love 6

I think it's just the general frustration that the victims and/or their families won't get a chance to confront the criminal face to face and call them out (and possibly curse them out, for that matter), nor will they or the investigators get the answers and potential closure as to why they did what they did. And it's the whole desire of wanting to see criminals get the proper justice they deserve and have to actually accept and take responsibility for their crimes. The criminal committing suicide just feels, to some, like a cowardly way for them to avoid having to face what they've done.

Granted, there are some criminals out there that wouldn't give a shit no matter how many of their victims or victims' families they faced, 'cause they're just that cold-hearted. But still.  Those are the main reasons I can think of. 

• Love 12

I’m watching See No Evil tonight but I’ve seen the same thing in other shows. 

Rule #1 of when you get surveliallance camera footage—COMPARE CURRENT TIME TO THE TIME OF WHATEVER SYSTEM YOU HAVE FOOTAGE FROM!!

• Love 9
7 hours ago, Fable said:

I’m curious why people are so upset about suspects/fugitives who commit suicide to avoid justice. 

In some cases, the families don't know where the victim was buried.
I was shocked at a plea deal on a recent show, and the perp didn't have to disclose where he'd buried the victims.

• Love 7
Just now, auntjess said:

In some cases, the families don't know where the victim was buried.
I was shocked at a plea deal on a recent show, and the perp didn't have to disclose where he'd buried the victims.

That is such a unjust outcome.  It should be quid pro quo, you get a deal, we get the bodies. 

• Love 10
22 hours ago, Angeltoes said:

Yes, that's him.  Supposedly he really only had enough credits to qualify as a freshman.  But how nice, that courtesy of Texas, he managed to get a bachelor's and almost a master's while incarcerated.  There are so many intelligent decent people in this country that would love to go to college but can't afford it, but yet this guy gets handed an education (after already squandering one).

People who are on death row shouldn't qualify for that kind of thing (free college).  It's rare they get off of death row, period, and when they do, it's usually to a life sentence where they never get out.

20 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I think it's just the general frustration that the victims and/or their families won't get a chance to confront the criminal face to face and call them out (and possibly curse them out, for that matter), nor will they or the investigators get the answers and potential closure as to why they did what they did. And it's the whole desire of wanting to see criminals get the proper justice they deserve and have to actually accept and take responsibility for their crimes. The criminal committing suicide just feels, to some, like a cowardly way for them to avoid having to face what they've done.

Granted, there are some criminals out there that wouldn't give a shit no matter how many of their victims or victims' families they faced, 'cause they're just that cold-hearted. But still.  Those are the main reasons I can think of. 

My biggest thing would be if no one knows where the bodies are, if there is information/motive that would be helpful, or if someone felt the need to face their attacker in court in order to have some form of closure.  Other than that, they can do what they want, including check out for good.  Saves a lot of money.  Because you know most of them aren't sitting  in their cells, thinking about what they did.  They don't care.

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 7:12 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

What about the Nancy Pfister (Aspen socialite murder. She dated Jack Nicholson at one point.) murder case?   I can't recall what it was on, but, it came on ID Discovery, I think. that was a real mystery.  So many viable culprits.  They finally got the guy, who finally confessed, but, there were things that didn't add up.  AND HER BEST FRIEND/assistant! OMG.  That lady was a real mystery.  WHY did she lie so much in the beginning.  I never did figure that one out.  Eventually they dismissed murder charge against her.  Still, there were so many lies she told.  AND at the end she told reporter she hoped the lady's daughter would forgive her.  He said, for what?  She didn't know.  So, why did she ask for forgiveness?  So odd.  

That one was just weird.  I still lean toward the best friend doing it.  She was just obsessed with her.  And her behavior was extremely odd.  I know that doesn't necessarily make her guilty, but I don't buy the couple who was renting from her did it.  Even together, I don't see them being able to drag her around.  I think the doctor confessed because he was ill, and he didn't want his wife to get drug up in to it, seeing as everyone was so fixated on them as to even say they conspired with the weird friend.  Most of the evidence against the couple all screamed set-up for how it was found, etc.  And Nancy was another one of  those people who everyone seems to ignore their bad behavior and just gush about how much they love her.  Is it a money thing?  Because I sure wouldn't put up with her and her demanding ways.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, funky-rat said:

That one was just weird.  I still lean toward the best friend doing it.  She was just obsessed with her.  And her behavior was extremely odd.  I know that doesn't necessarily make her guilty, but I don't buy the couple who was renting from her did it.  Even together, I don't see them being able to drag her around.  I think the doctor confessed because he was ill, and he didn't want his wife to get drug up in to it, seeing as everyone was so fixated on them as to even say they conspired with the weird friend.  Most of the evidence against the couple all screamed set-up for how it was found, etc.  And Nancy was another one of  those people who everyone seems to ignore their bad behavior and just gush about how much they love her.  Is it a money thing?  Because I sure wouldn't put up with her and her demanding ways.

Ref. Nancy Pfister murder.  I agree about the best friend acting weird. Did she ever explain why she gave all those details about the blood when she called 911 when she hadn't actually seen the body? WHY LIE about it?  Maybe, I missed her explanation.  Then she takes funds and jewelry from the bank?  No way do I buy her explanation. Did she ever give the items to the victims's daughter? I don't think so.  I know the old man confessed, but, I'm not so sure either. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2
On 2/5/2018 at 9:10 PM, cooksdelight said:

I found myself standing next to Nancy Grace and her family at ATL in baggage claim. No makeup, no fancy hair... holding one of her twins. I struck up a conversation and she was as nice as could be, nothing like the mouth on TV. 

I thought you met her getting ice cream.  Sounds like several posters have met her. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Ref. Nancy Pfister murder.  I agree about the best friend acting weird. Did she ever explain why she gave all those details about the blood when she called 911 when she hadn't actually seen the body? WHY LIE about it?  Maybe, I missed her explanation.  Then she takes funds and jewelry from the bank?  No way do I buy her explanation. Did she ever give the items to the victims's daughter? I don't think so.  I know the old man confessed, but, I'm not so sure either. 

Not that I saw.  The only thing I recall them getting in to was that they said she said she saw blood on her forehead, but the 911 call tape proved she said "headboard" not "forehead".  It was a typo.  But that's it.  She was still yammering about seeing her hair later in the show, when I'm not sure how she could have seen it.  She claimed she took the money and the ring to give to the daughter but it never came out if she actually gave it to her, or not.  The only thing I could think of would be that while the friend was being the go-between while Nancy was away, she was taking money, or items from her house, and was afraid she'd get caught, so she figured she could frame the doctor and his wife - especially when the doctor's wife said she'd like to wring Nancy's neck (something many people have said over the years - that doesn't make them murderers).  Maybe she had a crush on Nancy?  Maybe she got sick of Nancy's insults (the first thing she said that Nancy ever said to her was "You're fat", and she was always telling people that she was rude to "That's just her way")?  I know I wouldn't be friends with anyone like that, but money talks.  I also don't recall seeing any of Nancy's other friends rushing to best friend's defense.  I wonder if Nancy really thought of her as a friend, or just a lackey?

• Love 4

I finally got around to watching the Jodi Arias show. I paid little attention to the whole thing originally. I had no idea they had so much evidence against her!! Ha! And she thought no jury would convict. On the other hand, she had OJ to go by.....

Edited by bubbls
  • Love 5

Did anyone catch Betrayed the other night? OMG.  It was about the murder of Laura Ackerman.  Her ex-boyfriend/baby daddy Grant Hayes, murdered her with the help of his wife Amanda Hayes I found this episode very intriguing since it happened IN MY CITY of Raleigh, NC.  I actually watched the trial on live stream of the Amanda.  What stood out to me is that Grant was portrayed very much like the real man, but, Amanda and her older daughter, Shay, from a previous relationship, seemed very different on the show.  

It was a very cruel and senseless murder.  I will never understand what women saw in Grant Hayes.  He was a popular, local performer.  I think most of his stuff has been taken off social media. 

http://www.wral.com/news/local/asset_gallery/9925558/

Amanda got EVEN more charges in Texas stemming from  helping her husband dispose of Laura's dismembered body.  AND, she became involved with a staff member at the Raleigh Prison and the staff member was fired, due to it being inappropriate and against the rules. 

http://abc11.com/news/amanda-hayes-to-be-extradited-in-ackerson-murder-case/1315221/

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 7

Geez.... I’m in NC also (Murphy) and didn’t hear anything about this case on WLOS (Asheville ABC affiliate). Then again, WLOS acts like we don’t exist down here in the corner.  What a gruesome murder!! Why on earth drive all the way to Texas? They could have dropped her into the ocean off the Outer Banks and the sharks would have disposed of any evidence.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Geez.... They could have dropped her into the ocean off the Outer Banks and the sharks would have disposed of any evidence.

Oh crap! I went swimming far out in the ocean off the outer banks! No one told me about any damn sharks.  Lol

• Love 5

See No Evil really is like watching a Paranormal Activity movie. You’re riveted to the screen looking for the slightest movement. 

True Conviction is pretty standard stuff but the second episode was awful to watch. What kind of inhuman monster do you have to be to pull the trigger on a five year old boy?

• Love 9
46 minutes ago, Shriekingeel said:

See No Evil really is like watching a Paranormal Activity movie. You’re riveted to the screen looking for the slightest movement. 

True Conviction is pretty standard stuff but the second episode was awful to watch. What kind of inhuman monster do you have to be to pull the trigger on a five year old boy?

The absolute worst part was the gunpowder stippling on the little boy's eyes, proving his eyes were open and looking up at the gun pressed to his forehead.  This will haunt me until the day I die.

• Love 11
17 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Geez.... I’m in NC also (Murphy) and didn’t hear anything about this case on WLOS (Asheville ABC affiliate). Then again, WLOS acts like we don’t exist down here in the corner.  What a gruesome murder!! Why on earth drive all the way to Texas? They could have dropped her into the ocean off the Outer Banks and the sharks would have disposed of any evidence.

It was implied at the trial that they thought that having an excuse to go to Laura's sister's house made sense and would provide them a good cover. I guess Grant forget about the cameras in the stores when he went to buy the saw and dismembering equipment.  Then, they leave her car near their apt.  Just a lot of stuff.....careless or not too bright.  I doubt they would have found portions of Laura's body, if Amanda's sister hadn't spilled the beans to police, but, there was likely enough other evidence for them to have still been convicted, imo.   The video of Amanda dropping off bottles of that erosion liquid out in the middle of nowhere.............BUT ON VIDEO!  That was priceless.  I mean...goes to show you.  You never know if you are being videoed.  Even in the most remote areas people have nature cams. 

You did hear that Grant's parents are raising Laura's kids, right? Apparently, everyone thought that's what she would have wanted.  Funny.....do you know what Laura named one of her children? Gentle.  I found that ironic. 

4 hours ago, hoosiermom said:

Oh crap! I went swimming far out in the ocean off the outer banks! No one told me about any damn sharks.  Lol

OH YES!  There are lots of sharks in our beach waters. I had to stop swimming in those waters years ago.  I miss it, but, it's a huge risk.  You can check the statistics, but, we get too many for me to ignore. Sometimes 2-3 per week in the summer time.  AND it's CLOSE to shore too. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Shriekingeel said:

There was a recent on that was a fail.  The question was who stopped by a woman's home, and the whole thing was watching for headlight reflections in window across from the atm camera, or some such.  
It would have been better as a factor in solving crime in another show, but that was THE most boring surveillance film.
Thanks for True Conviction comments.  I'll erase that one unwatched.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, hoosiermom said:

We vacation there often, no shark attacks yet.  It's a lovely beach.

5 hours ago, Shriekingeel said:

See No Evil is both amazing and sad to watch.

I really like Betrayed as well.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

It was implied at the trial that they thought that having an excuse to go to Laura's sister's house made sense and would provide them a good cover. I guess Grant forget about the cameras in the stores when he went to buy the saw and dismembering equipment.  Then, they leave her car near their apt.  Just a lot of stuff.....careless or not too bright.  I doubt they would have found portions of Laura's body, if Amanda's sister hadn't spilled the beans to police, but, there was likely enough other evidence for them to have still been convicted, imo.   The video of Amanda dropping off bottles of that erosion liquid out in the middle of nowhere.............BUT ON VIDEO!  That was priceless.  I mean...goes to show you.  You never know if you are being videoed.  Even in the most remote areas people have nature cams. 

You did hear that Grant's parents are raising Laura's kids, right? Apparently, everyone thought that's what she would have wanted.  Funny.....do you know what Laura named one of her children? Gentle.  I found that ironic. 

OH YES!  There are lots of sharks in our beach waters. I had to stop swimming in those waters years ago.  I miss it, but, it's a huge risk.  You can check the statistics, but, we get too many for me to ignore. Sometimes 2-3 per week in the summer time.  AND it's CLOSE to shore too. 

We vacation there every year with no shark attacks.  We did have a huge alligator swim near our kayak.  Never getting in one of those again in the ocean.  ???‍♀️?

Edited by ButterQueen
  • Love 3

I need help with a crime mystery. I’m sure I saw a show on this, but I can’t remember enough details to search. A series of crimes happened in a small midwestern town (I think it’s in the Midwest). I can’t remember if they were murders or assaults. They’ve never been solved. What I AM certain about is some creepy writing found on a barn or old building is thought to be connected. Does this sound familiar to anyone? 

• Love 1