Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

9 hours ago, bubbls said:

I need help with a crime mystery. I’m sure I saw a show on this, but I can’t remember enough details to search. A series of crimes happened in a small midwestern town (I think it’s in the Midwest). I can’t remember if they were murders or assaults. They’ve never been solved. What I AM certain about is some creepy writing found on a barn or old building is thought to be connected. Does this sound familiar to anyone? 

I'm not sure if I recall this story, but, if I run across it, I'll post.  

This is my question.  A series on The GOLDEN STATE MURDERS has been airing for at least a week.  I think on ID Discovery.  They said a NEW series.  Only, now I don't see it anywhere on their lineup.   They are HORRIFIC murders that are STILL UNSOLVED!  It really needs to be solved, imo.  If anyone else saw this, please chime in.  I sure do want to catch it.  

• Love 1
14 hours ago, auntjess said:

There's the Coleman murders in Illinois, but they seem to have been solved.

Thanks but that’s not the one. I am pretty sure these have been going on for years and all different not-related victims. I’m beginning to wonder if I imagined the whole thing. I thought the creepy writing on the barn would enable me to quickly Google this but nothing. 

5 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm not sure if I recall this story, but, if I run across it, I'll post.  

This is my question.  A series on The GOLDEN STATE MURDERS has been airing for at least a week.  I think on ID Discovery.  They said a NEW series.  Only, now I don't see it anywhere on their lineup.   They are HORRIFIC murders that are STILL UNSOLVED!  It really needs to be solved, imo.  If anyone else saw this, please chime in.  I sure do want to catch it.  

Thanks!

I’ll check TiVo later for the GSM show as I’m sure I have it set to record anything on these crimes. I can’t believe they’re only recently becoming more well known. These are at the top of my list of most frightening crimes. I tried to read the book by Kat Winters but was too frightened to finish it. Her book starts at the beginning and goes crime by crime in chronological order so you get a good sense of his escalation along with this horrible building wave of destruction year after year, crime after crime, victim after victim. And how close he came to being caught so many times. 

• Love 1

I searched the U-verse schedule for Golden State Murders, and find nothing.
It usually searches about 2 weeks ahead, but doesn't search for episode titles, so if it's part of another series, it wouldn't show up.
Yesterday, I saw my first forensic podiatrist--on Forensic Files, and then another FF featured the same guy.
First was an Outer Banks murder, and he proved by wear pattern inside the shoes, that perp had worn them.
The other was in Prince Edward Island, and he proved the same thing.
In the NC case, they also had socks, so I wondered why they wouldn't have tried for DNA.

• Love 2

Yeah, I don't think the "Golden State Murders" special has aired yet. I think it's just advertising something that's coming soon. I've seen those ads, too, but I'm blanking on what date they said it'd air. Next time I see that ad, I'll make note of the date. 

There was a "People Magazine Investigates" episode on that case a while back, though, if I recall rightly.

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 3

I have a bone to pick with the script writers of Forensic Files. To me, a habit is something one does without thinking or planning, like bite your fingernails or fasten your seat belt, brush your teeth, not shoot a gun off inside your home or make love outdoors. I think the writers need a new thesaurus. But according to the definition I looked up before I wrote this, I guess shooting a gun inside your home or making love outdoors can be a habit. 

"a settled or regular tendency or practice, especially one that is hard to give up.

"this can develop into a bad habit"

But wouldn't practice, tendency, routine, pattern, etc be better words than "habit?"

• Love 8

I know that I have been seeing the previews on Golden State murdrers, NEW, because I made a mental note to post about it.  Now that it's so illusive.....odd.  Thanks for checking and please post if you see anything further. I'm keeping my eyes open.

• Love 3

Where are they finding these people they are featuring on "Evil lives here"? Last night that women saw red flags in that her husband told her he had been murdering people. Ya think? But,  when her brother in law says her husband is at the firing range and he wants her to come immediately she gets her panties in a bunch because she thinks he may have been cheating on her? I have no words. Sure, stay with a man because you are afraid to have him alone with the kids but don't mention to your lawyer when you want to get custody of your children that oh,by the way, did I tell you he has MURDERED people?!?! I am just livid so probably not making much sense. sorry.

• Love 17
20 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I know that I have been seeing the previews on Golden State murdrers, NEW, because I made a mental note to post about it.  Now that it's so illusive.....odd.  Thanks for checking and please post if you see anything further. I'm keeping my eyes open.

I have Xfinity, and I couldn't find a thing either.

14 minutes ago, hoosiermom said:

Where are they finding these people they are featuring on "Evil lives here"? Last night that women saw red flags in that her husband told her he had been murdering people. Ya think? But,  when her brother in law says her husband is at the firing range and he wants her to come immediately she gets her panties in a bunch because she thinks he may have been cheating on her? I have no words. Sure, stay with a man because you are afraid to have him alone with the kids but don't mention to your lawyer when you want to get custody of your children that oh,by the way, did I tell you he has MURDERED people?!?! I am just livid so probably not making much sense. sorry.

I don't understand some of these killers family members.  Often, I struggle to find any sympathy. 

• Love 10
36 minutes ago, hoosiermom said:

Where are they finding these people they are featuring on "Evil lives here"?

I don't know but they should be doing time as well.  

Sunny -  yep, it's on ID Discovery, but not any particular show that I recall.  A stand-alone.

Edited by Razzberry
  • Love 5

I was going to watch a Patty Hearst show, but the only one I saw coming up, is at least 3 parts, and I'm not that interested.
At the dog show, when she's announced, I keep wanting her to show up as she did at the bank, with the automatic weapon.

• Love 6
Just now, auntjess said:

I was going to watch a Patty Hearst show, but the only one I saw coming up, is at least 3 parts, and I'm not that interested.
At the dog show, when she's announced, I keep wanting her to show up as she did at the bank, with the automatic weapon.

Yep, that is how I always picture her.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, bubbls said:

Thanks but that’s not the one. I am pretty sure these have been going on for years and all different not-related victims. I’m beginning to wonder if I imagined the whole thing. I thought the creepy writing on the barn would enable me to quickly Google this but nothing. 

Yeah, the only one that even comes close in my memory was a killer who not only left his victim(s) in a barn, but he wrote on the road outside the barn and left flowers.

I think the Patty Hearst story is on CNN.  I thought it was pretty good, but, I've always had an interest in it.  I did a class paper and presentation on her in school when things actually happened.  This special really gives you a lot to think about.  I do believe her word over the kidnappers.  

• Love 2
15 hours ago, hoosiermom said:

Agree. Also she started "going with him " because she was bullied and his family was known as people you don't mess around with. First red flag. She at least tried to divorce him.  

I watched another Evi Lives Here about "Bob Jones", his wife Cindy was on.  She made me a little madder because she never really tried to get away. He finally left. She could not believe he killed a lot of people, upwards of 100. The detective came on and said it was true.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

Edited by applecrisp
messed up
  • Love 5
38 minutes ago, applecrisp said:

Agree. Also she started "going with him " because she was bullied and his family was known as people you don't mess around with. First red flag. She at least tried to divorce him.  

I watched another Evi Lives Here about "Bob Jones", his wife Cindy was on.  She made me a little madder because she never really tried to get away. He finally left. She could not believe he killed a lot of people, upwards of 100. The detective came on and said it was true.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

I just didn't understand her at all.  She didn't even care her husband was supposedly killing people....which I don't think he was as he was just charged with the one rape and murder.  The attorney general said it was his first murder.  I believe he was trolling for a victim.  I also read that his death sentence has been put on hold due to mental incompetence.  What killed me was the wife putting on the oxygen tube, laying the inhaler on the table and describing what the murder did to her physically.  We never see the oxygen again.  

Her BIL actually helped his brother take the young girl to where she was killed, and then turned him in.  I guess he was offered a deal.  

• Love 4
On 1/22/2018 at 3:43 PM, stillhere1900 said:

Not sure if he didn't believe the warnings, I think he just didn't care. He probably saw her as a whore who he used for sex..... PERIOD

Whore is a good word for Jodi.....murdering whore.  No one forced her to continue sneaking in his home and offering herself up.  

• Love 9
16 hours ago, riley702 said:

Yeah, the only one that even comes close in my memory was a killer who not only left his victim(s) in a barn, but he wrote on the road outside the barn and left flowers.

That’s not it, but it sure sounds interesting.

I think I’m mixing up the Texarkana Moonlight Murders from the 1940s with some other creepy situation. I’ve obsessively spent hours searching to no avail. 

Edited by bubbls
  • Love 1
56 minutes ago, atlantaloves said:

Hey You All, is this where we can discuss the Vanity Fair Confidential true murder casebook which is on ID. They just started a new season, and it is a dilly, even if it isn't a juicy murder. 

I'm not caught up, but feel free to discuss.  Welcome!

5 hours ago, Shriekingeel said:

Speaking of True Conviction. 

https://t.co/iPRhvChoRX

I should have known something was up with her. I was uncomfortable with the way she interviewed people. I thought “why is she putting these poor family members thru this again”? I know other crime shows interview family members again after the fact but it is the questions she asks and the way she asks them, reminiscent of Paula Zahn. (I don’t watch her show anymore because of that.)It sounds to me what she did to John Giuca was way worse than what Kelly Siegler did but then I really like her show Cold Justice. (I know, I know. Don’t yell at me walnutqueen. Lol)

Edited by hoosiermom
  • Love 4

Most of the time the victims are portrayed as so kind, decent, good people....it's sad.  What about those jerks, who treat their family like crap, abuse, terrorize, etc.?  What about when they get murdered?  Not much about that. lol

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Most of the time the victims are portrayed as so kind, decent, good people....it's sad.  What about those jerks, who treat their family like crap, abuse, terrorize, etc.?  What about when they get murdered? 

There was one I commented on recently.  An old lady was murdered, and one of her friends said she had lots of enemies, so no telling who killed her.

For all the crime fans with cats.
https://www.theonion.com/study-finds-cats-only-meow-when-they-want-to-alert-owne-1822931276

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, auntjess said:

There was one I commented on recently.  An old lady was murdered, and one of her friends said she had lots of enemies, so no telling who killed her.

For all the crime fans with cats.
https://www.theonion.com/study-finds-cats-only-meow-when-they-want-to-alert-owne-1822931276

Oh yes.  Was she found in a well?  I recall that, but, she was just kind of odd and shrewd.  I don't think she was evil and hurt people.  

• Love 2

I like Cold Justice too, and I'm glad Oxygen picked it up.  I'm not convinced Kelly did what she's accused of after reading the Houston Press analysis.  Sounds more like Judge Gist was an idiot.

The article is long, but here's the upshot:

"But in the rush to persecute Siegler and make a martyr of Temple, the media neglected to compare Gist’s findings to the trial record. If they had, they would have seen that the findings don’t stand up to scrutiny — they’re a flawed and often contradictory assessment of what actually occurred at trial. A closer look doesn’t suggest proof of a reckless prosecutor caught in her tracks but of shrewd defense attorneys able to kick up enough dust to cloud a judge’s vision."

Houston Press on Kelly Siegler

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Razzberry said:

I like Cold Justice too, and I'm glad Oxygen picked it up.  I'm not convinced Kelly did what she's accused of after reading the Houston Press analysis.  Sounds more like Judge Gist was an idiot.

"But in the rush to persecute Siegler and make a martyr of Temple, the media neglected to compare Gist’s findings to the trial record. If they had, they would have seen that the findings don’t stand up to scrutiny — they’re a flawed and often contradictory assessment of what actually occurred at trial. A closer look doesn’t suggest proof of a reckless prosecutor caught in her tracks but of shrewd defense attorneys able to kick up enough dust to cloud a judge’s vision."

I would encourage anyone who has doubt about Siegler accusations to watch the full interview in which Siegler does herself in.  Based on what she alone said, she was contradictory, pious, and infuriating. As a big fan of hers, it was more than disappointing, but, it was obviously true. As an attorney, it was heartbreaking really.  Something seems to have happened to her. Not sure when.  

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Razzberry said:

Come sit by me.  I've watched and read much about Kelly Siegler, and I still admire her and the work she's done.  Judge Gist is an idiot, imo.

• Love 4
On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 2:33 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Did anyone catch Betrayed the other night? OMG.  It was about the murder of Laura Ackerman.  Her ex-boyfriend/baby daddy Grant Hayes, murdered her with the help of his wife Amanda Hayes I found this episode very intriguing since it happened IN MY CITY of Raleigh, NC.  I actually watched the trial on live stream of the Amanda.  What stood out to me is that Grant was portrayed very much like the real man, but, Amanda and her older daughter, Shay, from a previous relationship, seemed very different on the show.  

It was a very cruel and senseless murder.  I will never understand what women saw in Grant Hayes.  He was a popular, local performer.  I think most of his stuff has been taken off social media. 

http://www.wral.com/news/local/asset_gallery/9925558/

Amanda got EVEN more charges in Texas stemming from  helping her husband dispose of Laura's dismembered body.  AND, she became involved with a staff member at the Raleigh Prison and the staff member was fired, due to it being inappropriate and against the rules. 

http://abc11.com/news/amanda-hayes-to-be-extradited-in-ackerson-murder-case/1315221/

I was not familiar with this case (but it was horrible).  Were the mother and daughter that horrible in real life?  Because I wanted to put them through a wall.

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:21 AM, Shriekingeel said:

True Conviction is pretty standard stuff but the second episode was awful to watch. What kind of inhuman monster do you have to be to pull the trigger on a five year old boy?

I don't live too far from where Joann Katrinak was murdered.  They laid her baby on her chest and just walked away.  It was winter, and the baby died of exposure.  People seriously scare me sometimes.

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:01 PM, hoosiermom said:

Was that the one where she dated him in high school, and he beat the tar out of some guy who was "bothering her"?  I dozed off fairly early on and missed the rest of it, but I was not liking the woman very much.

• Love 3
On 2/12/2018 at 5:01 PM, hoosiermom said:

I have a lot of trouble feeling sorry for most of them as well. These women who marry these guys in spite of a zillion red flags. It's just ridiculous. The parents and children of the murderers are usually innocent victims, but the wives are just ridiculous. ETA: I just remembered one I saw where the mom knew the boy was violent and crazy, so the parents certainly aren't always innocent. 

Edited by KellsBells
Remembering a dumb mom.
  • Love 5

Watching a "Married with Secrets" rerun about the murder of the Scherers. One detective just said the the other, talking about the couple's will, "The kids are the main benefactors." Ugh. Beneficiaries you idiot, not benefactor. How does this get through edit? 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, KellsBells said:

Watching a "Married with Secrets" rerun about the murder of the Scherers. One detective just said the the other, talking about the couple's will, "The kids are the main benefactors." Ugh. Beneficiaries you idiot, not benefactor. How does this get through edit? 

I get upset at spelling and grammar errors, too.  I saw one today where someone "hawked" a stolen ring!

• Love 6

Did anyone watch He Lied About Everything? It was a 2 hour , one off story.  A news producer interveiws a world renowned surgeon about plastic trachea transplants. They are revolutionary.  They instantly fall in love and he is a romantic.

Cut to plans for a lavish wedding where the Pope will marry them. Her friends are excited, he is planning the wedding and she knows little.  She does end up shelling out some serious cash. Well he is a fraud. While he is an actual Dr. and mostly a good one in technique, he did almost no research on the plastic tracheas and he falls under suspicion.

It said that there would be an aftershow of some sort and she would answer questions.  I couldn't find it.  Anyway, all his patients die a really awful death and he is under heavy scrutiny.

OK like some of the women on Evil Lives Here, I found Benita to be similar in that he really hurt her but there were victims who have suffered so much more and I found her very hard to take and I guess I just did not like her. She was an investigative journalist and never fact checked anything! Well she did google to see if the Pope actually marries people.( He does.) Did anyone else see it. Am I being too hard on her?? I was so irritated. It was quite a story though.

• Love 11
19 minutes ago, applecrisp said:

Did anyone watch He Lied About Everything? It was a 2 hour , one off story.  A news producer interveiws a world renowned surgeon about plastic trachea transplants. They are revolutionary.  They instantly fall in love and he is a romantic.

Cut to plans for a lavish wedding where the Pope will marry them. Her friends are excited, he is planning the wedding and she knows little.  She does end up shelling out some serious cash. Well he is a fraud. While he is an actual Dr. and mostly a good one in technique, he did almost no research on the plastic tracheas and he falls under suspicion.

It said that there would be an aftershow of some sort and she would answer questions.  I couldn't find it.  Anyway, all his patients die a really awful death and he is under heavy scrutiny.

OK like some of the women on Evil Lives Here, I found Benita to be similar in that he really hurt her but there were victims who have suffered so much more and I found her very hard to take and I guess I just did not like her. She was an investigative journalist and never fact checked anything! Well she did google to see if the Pope actually marries people.( He does.) Did anyone else see it. Am I being too hard on her?? I was so irritated. It was quite a story though.

I don't think your being hard on her. I found it really hard that she believed all of his stories. How was she not suspicious?   His stories kept getting more and more outlandish. But she wasn't suspicious at all? Married by the Pope! Hillary and the Obamas are coming. So is Putin. The Pope wanted to use their wedding give communion to gays. He was going to give a solo. He was being investigated but he did nothing wrong! They were just jealous.  Am I missing anything else?  

• Love 11

I DVR'd this and only watched the first half.  HOW can she be an investigative journalist for SO long, and miss the signs? Not doing any fact-checking?  I know all those lavish gifts and romance and attention can be pretty seductive, but  really, now!

• Love 12
4 hours ago, applecrisp said:

While I agree that she was kind of an idiot to not google the crap out of him (it was 2015, after all, not 1995), I couldn't help but wonder what the hell his end game was. Have an affair? Okay. But this elaborate charade? Why? I'd love to be able to see inside his mind and see what on earth he was thinking. I don't care if he is a doctor, he's also crazy. And he definitely should have gone to jail, but Italy is strange when it comes to criminal justice. 

• Love 9

I was absolutely transfixed with He lied about everything. I can only figure he didn’t have an endgame. He didn’t have one with his surgical experiments either. To me, he was a sociopath and couldn’t see past the immediate gain and was not capable of empathy. I can see how she was taken in for a time but, come on! I am still SMH.

• Love 14
5 hours ago, KellsBells said:

While I agree that she was kind of an idiot to not google the crap out of him (it was 2015, after all, not 1995), I couldn't help but wonder what the hell his end game was. Have an affair? Okay. But this elaborate charade? Why? I'd love to be able to see inside his mind and see what on earth he was thinking. I don't care if he is a doctor, he's also crazy. And he definitely should have gone to jail, but Italy is strange when it comes to criminal justice. 

I do agree that she believed way too much but then again he wasn't like some of those other scam artists where is there is no evidence that they were ever a spy or whatever. He was a world renowned doctor and did work at the place that gives Nobel prizes so at least some of it was believable. I too wondered what his endgame was? What did he think was going to happen when all of those people showed up in Italy for the wedding that wasn't going to happen?

• Love 8
54 minutes ago, geekgirl921 said:

I do agree that she believed way too much but then again he wasn't like some of those other scam artists where is there is no evidence that they were ever a spy or whatever. He was a world renowned doctor and did work at the place that gives Nobel prizes so at least some of it was believable. I too wondered what his endgame was? What did he think was going to happen when all of those people showed up in Italy for the wedding that wasn't going to happen?

Right, I agree with that, but I meant his marital status and the supposed celeb guests that were coming to their "wedding." She worked for a news network, she could have sent her feelers out to see if any of those people even had a clue this was going on. 

• Love 7

Benita was a difficult one to feel sorry for.  I could see the initial attraction, especially with her ex dying and her getting sick, but as soon as he said the Pope, the Obamas, the Clintons, and Putin were all going to bein the same room for a Pope officiated wedding of a divorcee and a non Catholic, an entire parade of red flags should have blasted through her brain.  That just was not possible. Plus I found her kind of off-putting, from the constant camera posing, to the ridiculous bottom lashline blue eyeliner rimming, to the histrionic last phone call to Paolo, she was, as the kids say, so very extra.

But the worst thing about the show was the comparatively short shrift given to the actual (imo) murder victims in the story.  Paolo is a serial killer, perhaps of unusual modes of murder, but a serial killer nonethless.  How he has any medical license is something I wished were explored, as well as any civil actions by the deceaseds' families.  

Oh, @SunnyBeBe, the ad for the Golden State Killer show ran again, and that is set to air starting March 5th, for two nights.

• Love 15