Type keyword(s) to search

Life In Pieces - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 5/12/2017 at 0:46 PM, iMonrey said:

The tiny house thing was really stupid. If they have the money for a motel there's no earthly reason for six of them to squeeze into that closet-sized space. (Nor should you ever leave the house with the dryer running.)

Not to mention, Joan and John live across the street in a gigantic house! Even if they were off traveling at that moment, surely Heather has a key to her parents' house. 

And word on the dryer. My mom ingrained that into my head from a young age. Her biggest safety obsessions were not to leave the dryer on if the house was empty or everyone was in bed, and not to shower during lightning storms. Consequently, those are now my safety obsessions. ;)

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Squirrely said:
On 5/12/2017 at 0:46 PM, iMonrey said:

The tiny house thing was really stupid. If they have the money for a motel there's no earthly reason for six of them to squeeze into that closet-sized space. (Nor should you ever leave the house with the dryer running.)

Not to mention, Joan and John live across the street in a gigantic house! Even if they were off traveling at that moment, surely Heather has a key to her parents' house. 

It also made no sense for the parents to sleep in the same small bed with their married son and his wife.  The parents should either should either share with their daughters, or have the daughters sleep with their sister-in-law and brother and have the parents take the couch.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
21 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

It also made no sense for the parents to sleep in the same small bed with their married son and his wife.  The parents should either should either share with their daughters, or have the daughters sleep with their sister-in-law and brother and have the parents take the couch.

But then it wouldn't be LOL funny!  Oh wait, it wasn't.

4 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

The best part of the episode was showering the newlyweds with "confetti" made of the sweetener packets - white, yellow, pink, and blue.  Very festive!

Yes, that was cute.

• Love 2
On 5/16/2017 at 2:34 PM, PradaKitty said:

My hairdresser had her dryer catch on fire while she was taking a shower.  She had to run out of the house in a towel!

Dryers are one of the most common causes of house fires. The best preventive it to regularly clear the accumulated lint from ducts. Very important safety measure that a lot of people don't know to do.

(edited)
On 5/15/2017 at 11:30 AM, MaryMitch said:

On 5/14/2017 at 10:07 AM, anna0852 said:

Not sure if this is the right topic but apparently Zoe Lister-Jones (Jen) has written, directed and stars in a movie about a couple that turns their fights into songs and uses those to start a band. Colin Hanks (Greg) and Angelique Cabral (Colleen) are also in it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5816374/?ref_=nv_sr_1

lol - Colen Hanks' character's name is "Uber Douche"

Decent NYT review:  https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/01/movies/band-aid-review.html?em_pos=small&emc=edit_fm_20170602&nl=movies-update&nl_art=4&nlid=55227737&ref=headline&te=1

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse

Wow, no comments yet on the new season.  I liked the bye bye paci sequence, that's always such a dilemma getting rid of a baby's security device.  Although I would not have waited this long to lose it.

The scene with Pop-pop and young grandchild (still can't remember her name) was nice.  Pop-pop is charming when he isn't being an imbecile.  Speaking of imbeciles, I don't think Tyler and Clementine have even half a brain between them.

• Love 4

I hope the fact that they crammed so many plot lines into this episode is just due to it being the first of the new season.

That said, my favorite was the pacifier plot. Kids can turn into raving maniacs if they are dependent on their pacifier and it gets lost.  Having a ceremony was a good idea, but I hope they kept one for emergencies!

Giselle Eisenberg, who plays Sophie (Heather and Tim's younger daughter), is such a good little actress!

• Love 5

I liked the season premiere a lot, but there were two things that seemed a little bit "off" to me:

1. If Matt and Colleen hadn't actually received the money yet, then how did they afford to give back all the money they'd ever borrowed? I guess we can fanwank that they'd already saved up a bunch of money on their own, but that seems very out of character.

2. The Tyler/Clementine thing felt like the writers couldn't decide whether to break them up, or put them in an open relationship. So much of it seemed like standard "let's agree to stay together but see other people" stuff, but the kids were adamant that they were getting divorced.

• Love 3

I’m glad this show is back! Ive always enjoyed it, even the weaker episodes.

Did they SORAS Lark? She was born in the pilot so she should’ve just turned two. The child actress was a bit older, I thought, at least 3 to 3.5. I liked the paci plot the best out of the lot. 

I hope they find Tank. 

• Love 2

The part that really cracked me up was John stopping random neighbors and asking if they'd seen the little girl he was keeping up in his attic because she must have wriggled loose from the rope he had tied around her.

• Love 10
53 minutes ago, MaryMitch said:

Forgetting someone's name is something I can empathize with. Once I tried that trick and asked someone how they spelled their last name, and they looked at me like I was an idiot and slowly said "J-O-N-E-S".

I have used the "how do you spell it" trick so many times that I have become rather adept at coming up with an alternate spelling off the top of my head.  In your example, I would have replied, "I used to know someone who spelled it "J-O-A-N-S" so now I always ask.  

• Love 6
On 11/3/2017 at 10:58 AM, roughing it said:

Wow, no comments yet on the new season.  I liked the bye bye paci sequence, that's always such a dilemma getting rid of a baby's security device.  Although I would not have waited this long to lose it.

The scene with Pop-pop and young grandchild (still can't remember her name) was nice.  Pop-pop is charming when he isn't being an imbecile.  Speaking of imbeciles, I don't think Tyler and Clementine have even half a brain between them.

i'm surprised whenever i see a baby/child using a pacifier. it's not worth all you have to go thru to get them off the paci-crack. many young parents don't even bother anymore which is the best way to go. it's just an easy way out which will bite you  in the ass in the long run.

pop pop really seems like he could use a few more i.q. points. what the hell, this man was supposed to have a pilot? wouldn't want him as mine! he really does seem like an imbecile. ditto for tyler and clementine. 

On 11/5/2017 at 0:41 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

They wanted an actress old enough to handle dialogue, which she did.

On 11/5/2017 at 0:33 PM, LakeGal said:

I am glad this show is back.  I have always enjoyed it.

Tim has more hair this season.

I agree that Lark looked a lot older.

tim's hair looks horrendous. what are they going for, give him a haircut. and lark looks way too old to playing the age she is supposed to be. it was distracting. maybe it was the face and hair i don't know . 

On 11/4/2017 at 5:42 AM, idiotwaltz said:

I’m glad this show is back! Ive always enjoyed it, even the weaker episodes.

Did they SORAS Lark? She was born in the pilot so she should’ve just turned two. The child actress was a bit older, I thought, at least 3 to 3.5. I liked the paci plot the best out of the lot. 

I hope they find Tank. 

as an animal lover, i was disappointed they took that little dog's being missing so cavalierly (sp?). 

• Love 2
On 11/11/2017 at 10:07 AM, needschocolate said:

I have used the "how do you spell it" trick so many times that I have become rather adept at coming up with an alternate spelling off the top of my head.  In your example, I would have replied, "I used to know someone who spelled it "J-O-A-N-S" so now I always ask.  

I know somebody who spells Joanne "J-O-A-N".   I use that as an example in these situations often.

• Love 2

I've really enjoyed all of the season 3 episodes so far. Much to my relief, neither Greg nor Tyler have acted like brain-damaged man-babies. And I've genuinely liked Dianne Wiest's character, who I found very unpleasant last season.

The Lyft segment was a little bit odd, because you would have to be a monstrously awful passenger to get a 1.2-star rating. Just being kind of standoff-ish, like Jen is, would hardly get you a rating like that.

• Love 2

neither Greg nor Tyler have acted like brain-damaged man-babies.

Greg sort of did in this one. Although the visual of him trying to ride Sophia's bike cracked me up. One problem: no way John could have sucked a guinea pig up in a shop vac. I don't think the writers know the difference between a guinea pig and a hamster/gerbil. (I suppose you could maim a guinea pig badly enough to kill it by accidentally suctioning it, but it's too big to fit into the hose of even the largest shop vac and the skeleton they showed was the correct size for a guinea pig.)

I liked the Lyft segment but I had no idea the drivers rated the passengers. Does Uber do that too?

i have never called a lyft. so you have to interact with the driver and be all friendly and outgoing and shit so you can get a good rating?  sorry, i just want a ride to where i'm going. i want to do it in peace, pay you and get out. wtf! give me a good ol taxi anyway. is a lyft or an uber cheaper? 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, msrachelj said:

i have never called a lyft. so you have to interact with the driver and be all friendly and outgoing and shit so you can get a good rating?  sorry, i just want a ride to where i'm going. i want to do it in peace, pay you and get out. wtf! give me a good ol taxi anyway. is a lyft or an uber cheaper? 

I don't know about Lyft, but Uber is cheaper and they show up faster than a taxi.

I would think a good rating has more to do with not causing problems and leaving a nice tip.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, msrachelj said:

I think that as long as you're not obnoxious and don't try to harass or steal from the driver your rating will be fine. For someone to get awful ratings like Jen did, they'd have to be constantly insulting the drivers.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, LakeGal said:

I was wondering where Colleen was too.  They never even mentioned her missing for Thanksgiving.

This was one of the funniest episodes I have watched in awhile.  I laughed quite often during it.  

Joan mentioned Colleen was sick, so I guess she stayed home. 

I laughed quite a few times throughout the episode, and I liked Baked!Sam a lot, especially when everyone was freaking out over Tim’s injury and Sam nonchalently stands up and gives her Thanksgiving speech again. 

Why is Clementine still having Thanksgiving dinner with them? I thought she and Tyler were divorced? 

Edited by idiotwaltz
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, idiotwaltz said:

Why is Clementine still having Thanksgiving dinner with them? I thought she and Tyler were divorced?

They're divorced but still living together and (I believe) still in a relationship while also seeing other people.

• Love 3
On 11/24/2017 at 2:00 PM, LakeGal said:

I was wondering where Colleen was too.  They never even mentioned her missing for Thanksgiving.

Joan said she was sick; that's why Heather was in charge of Thanksgiving. This happened in the scene where she wakes Heather up to start cooking.

I was horrified by the frayed wiring on that electric knife. You have to wear rubber shoes to plug it in! I thought they were going to burn down the house and have everyone move in with Jen and Greg.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, LucyEth said:

I enjoy this show.  Love it's quirkiness but I found the whole Tim's finger being cut off and the knife thing disturbing.  Samantha was sitting there covered in blood.  Didn't like that at all.

I hated that part and had to cover my eyes.  I had to do the same thing with this year's Brooklyn Nine-nine episode too - Dad cut his thumb off carving the turkey - blood gushing everywhere.  WTF is with these bloody Thanksgiving episodes?

That said... I was really enjoying accidentally high Samantha up until that point.  That was my favorite part of the episode, and one of the funniest bits this show has done IMO.

High-T - though I like Collin Hanks, Greg is often pretty insufferable, even without the extra testosterone... so I didn't like that segment very much.

The segment with the ladies cooking together and Grandma getting envious was somewhat amusing...

So all in all, the episode was very mixed for me.  That's usually the case though.  With most Life in Pieces episodes, I tend to like one segment, sort of like one other one, and hate the rest it seems.

• Love 1
On 11/25/2017 at 3:18 AM, idiotwaltz said:

I laughed quite a few times throughout the episode, and I liked Baked!Sam a lot, especially when everyone was freaking out over Tim’s injury and Sam nonchalently stands up and gives her Thanksgiving speech again.

1 hour ago, AnnaRose said:
  3 hours ago, LucyEth said:

I enjoy this show.  Love it's quirkiness but I found the whole Tim's finger being cut off and the knife thing disturbing.  Samantha was sitting there covered in blood.  Didn't like that at all.

In the last scene you could see that there was blood splattered all over the corn she kept shoveling in her mouth.

Would Sam really think that her parents would be upset with her if she told them that she didn't realize the cookie was drugged?  I'm glad I don't live in a state where everyone and her parents can easily ingest marijuana either on purpose or by accident. There's enough silly people around as it is. (Not referring to people who have a medical need for it.)

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 3

I didn't like the pot storyline. I know I'm ... probably brainwashed from the 80s, but I don't really enjoy stories about drugs, even though I think it is legal in CA. Since one of my girls is currently obsessed with pot, I don't like anything that I feel like encourages the use or makes it seem like it is no big deal. In reality it may not be, but where I live it is still illegal so...  

The rest I liked. The high T made me laugh because I work for an employer who currently is struggling with the medical costs associated with excessive (in our mind) use of Low T Clinics. I loved the women using YouTube for cooking tips and the mom getting jealous. 

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, joanne3482 said:

I didn't like the pot storyline. I know I'm ... probably brainwashed from the 80s, but I don't really enjoy stories about drugs, even though I think it is legal in CA. Since one of my girls is currently obsessed with pot, I don't like anything that I feel like encourages the use or makes it seem like it is no big deal. In reality it may not be, but where I live it is still illegal so... 

Even though I posted above that I thought the segment with Samantha was hilarious, I totally get what you're saying, and I too hate how they normalize it so much, especially with the parents and previously with the grandmother.  I think there are tremendous downsides to it, so I don't like to see it promoted like they do on Life in Pieces.  I did like that Samantha was freaked out by it and had a lot of anxiety.  Her experience being high seemed pretty accurate, and showed it being not at all appealing, in my opinion.  I really didn't like that her parent were high at their family Thanksgiving dinner. 

I thought it was only legal for medical reasons in CA.  Is it legal for recreational purposes, too?

1 hour ago, AnnaRose said:

I thought it was only legal for medical reasons in CA.  Is it legal for recreational purposes, too?

It will be on January 1. I assumed that the grandmother was using it for medical purposes. 

I, too, loved Baked!Sam. I feel like they don't give the actress a lot to do, usually, so I really enjoyed her. I was afraid she'd show up at the neighbors' house with blood all over her, looking for bandages. She must have gotten tired of eating corn while they filmed that scene. 

I laughed out loud when the electric knife came out. My dad had the exact same one in the 1960s. 

Edited by Mystery
  • Love 4
On 11/25/2017 at 3:18 AM, idiotwaltz said:

Joan mentioned Colleen was sick, so I guess she stayed home. 

sam was the best part. the actress did well. i remember feeling just like that, many years ago!  loved when tyler asked her, are you high, do you have any more?

• Love 2

OMG, Tyler in those shorts and Tim perving out on him. How horrifying for all. 

What was the reasoning behind Matt and Sam getting 50 copies of their photos? So they could plaster them all over everyone's houses? I didn't get that.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

OMG, Tyler in those shorts and Tim perving out on him. How horrifying for all. 

What was the reasoning behind Matt and Sam getting 50 copies of their photos? So they could plaster them all over everyone's houses? I didn't get that.

They had lamented earlier in the episode that one of the many disappointments in being the middle child was that there are no pictures of them displayed anywhere.  They were replacing all of the pictures of their older and younger siblings with pictures of themselves in retaliation.

• Love 9