Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E09: Boiling Point

• Start Topic

(edited)

Tyler pressures Cate to lose her pregnancy weight.

I've been thinking about this for a long time. I think Catelynn might be a food addict. Addiction obviously runs in her family (see: April). I think the way the addiction gene manifested in Catelynn was through food addiction.

I have battled food addiction & an eating disorder since I was a young teen. Addiction issues are rampant in my family - several family members are alcoholics. It can be easy to say "I'll never be an alcoholic/drug addict" if you grow up seeing how it destroys people and families...but you may end up addicted to something else. With drugs and alcohol, you can avoid them and people who partake in them. Wth food addiction, it can be tricky because you HAVE to eat to survive.

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 9

I wonder if Cate is an emotional eater? I remember the days when I was upset about something or going through some personal issues, I would not eat. Food wouldn't pass my lips for two days sometimes. With Cate, she might be eating because it makes her feel good in some way. Having had Carly and giving her up certainly hurt Catelyn, and I wouldn't be surprised if she coped with that by eating. It may have brought her some kind of comfort. Being pregnant just brought on more weight.

• Love 8

I wonder if Cate is an emotional eater? I remember the days when I was upset about something or going through some personal issues, I would not eat. Food wouldn't pass my lips for two days sometimes. With Cate, she might be eating because it makes her feel good in some way. Having had Carly and giving her up certainly hurt Catelyn, and I wouldn't be surprised if she coped with that by eating. It may have brought her some kind of comfort. Being pregnant just brought on more weight.

Cate is most likely amen emotional eater, but who the shit wouldn't be with the massive head games Tyler plays? Give up the baby or we won't be together. Let me seem your phone records or we won't be together. You need to work on some things or we won't be together and now he's probably tossing in lose some weight or we won't be together. The guy is an asshole and Cate will never be good enough for him. Now it's her weight that's his new target.

Cate could lose a quick 150 pounds and I bet the other pounds would fall off. She'd certainly stop chewing the shit out of her nails too.

• Love 17
(edited)

Cate is most likely amen emotional eater, but who the shit wouldn't be with the massive head games Tyler plays? Give up the baby or we won't be together. Let me seem your phone records or we won't be together. You need to work on some things or we won't be together and now he's probably tossing in lose some weight or we won't be together. The guy is an asshole and Cate will never be good enough for him. Now it's her weight that's his new target.

Cate could lose a quick 150 pounds and I bet the other pounds would fall off. She'd certainly stop chewing the shit out of her nails too.

So damn true to the bolded part. Agree with your entire post, actually.

Remember last season, he told his mom if Cate didn't get herself in school, he wasn't going to be with her anymore? Who the fuck is he to throw out such a threat when he himself didn't even bother to get enrolled and pursue his own studies? I can only imagine how Cate felt after watching that scene. I think because Tyler knew Cate didn't want to go to school, he then decided to use it as an excuse when the time came he wanted to dump her.

Now, this is where things are blurred for me. After that season the show came to a halt. We had the specials and then we saw C&T on Couples Therapy. I don't remember if that whole threat about school ever came up. It wouldn't make sense for Tyler not to bring it up since he himself hadn't bothered to do the same. This was when the whole wedding went to shit happened. Why was it suddenly not an issue that Cate be in school in order for Tyler to be with her? Or, did Cate make a promise to attend college after the wedding? As much as we know about these two, I feel as if there are things I still don't know the answer to. Not that Tyler makes any sense anyhow. He is just full of himself and this whole "marry me" and then calling it off time and time again is bullshit.

Edited by GreatKazu
  • Love 7

I think Catelyn just eats super unhealthy food and never gets any exercise. I don't think there is much more to it than that. She doesn't know how to cook a healthy meal and I guess the Google search Tyler did didn't help. Someone tweet them "bake a chicken breast at 350 for 20 minutes" maybe he will understand that? She is so lazy and eats absolute shit so I don't know why she or Tyler or anyone is surprised that she's overweight.

• Love 7

I thought Tyler was quite douchey about Catelynn's weight during the pregnancy. However, I have to kind of stick up for him a bit in this episode. Catelynn seems to be dealing with her weight loss goals like I have for months since giving birth - it's something she talks a lot about without actually putting concerted effort into it. She might have lost some weight after giving birth without having to really watch what she ate or exercising but in that one conversation she was clearly using the breast-feeding as an excusing for putting off making the effort. I have a feeling Tyler has listened to her vocalize concerns about her weight without actually doing something about it and so he's nudging her to action. Being young and being a man he's not always going to nudge the way he should or the way a woman may respond to but the truth is the weight loss issue is hard for couples to converse about and I don't think that topics pertaining to health and appearance should be off-topic to partners. Expressing conern about a partner's changing appearance doesn't automatically make someone a total jerk. Tyler's a jerk for like a million other reasons but I give him credit on this one. In some converations it's clear he is trying to support her and nudge her in the direction SHE says she wants to go.

• Love 3

Regarding - Farrah and Debra. Farrah is a total bitch as usual but she is also totally right. I doubt mom put this recipe into production and started marketing it without contracts. Family is family but business is business and Farrah is 100% correct to say she isn't putting anymore time or effort into something unless her interests are being looked after and I do have to highly question Debra's motives for not agreeing to sort that shit out ASAP.

• Love 4
(edited)

I feel really bad for Catelynn. Weight issues are tough on a lot of people, and she's living it out in the public and on National TV. I've always had a soft spot for her. She's a really nice person, and I hope she one day feels much better about herself. All power to her.

I just can't stand Farrah. Period zip. Like Maci said, "I won't be heard and I'll be talked to like a dog." That's all it is with her. Such a god dammed bitch.

Edited by kp199
  • Love 10

Ok, is Ryan developmentally slow?? Admitting he doesn't give his son a car seat??

I feel there was a lot more to the Amber/Matt fight then was shown, does anyone else??

Matt's pupils looked dilated when they were laying on the bed talking. That relationship, like I say every week, is beyond doomed.

Also, why did mtv show the part about Ryan poking his gf? Good lord.

• Love 6
(edited)

So I seriously want to get this sauce now, hahaha. I will let you all know how it is.

http://www.momandmefoods.com/

Oh, nevermind, it's $10/bottle. Sorry, Debra.

Edited to add: I cant stop laughing at this -

"....Farrah is actively pursuing her plans to open her own restaurant and appears regularly on radio, TV, and in national magazines where she discusses the Premium Italian Hot Pepper Sauce....."

Edited by B3cky50
  • Love 3

Mom & Me's website is better than Froco's website, but only by a tiny margin. I hated to agree with everything Farrah said, but she was right. At $10 a bottle, Debra's $8,000 liquid face lift could have produced a lot of sauce.

• Love 1
(edited)

Ok, is Ryan developmentally slow?? Admitting he doesn't give his son a car seat??

LMAO the Mom websites are gonna FLIP. In all honesty though, I wish cops could give someone a fat ticket for admitting on TV that they don't make their 6 year old kid sit in a car seat. "I never sat in mine, and I turned out fine." Yeah right, you're fine alright. I remember him saying that about preschool, too. Ryan, you're a dumbass, so no, you really didn't turn out as well as you think you did. He needs to think about his son, not himself.

Also, just wanted to add, why is Michael always kind to Farrah? She is, repeatedly, a complete bitch to him. It was his damn birthday, and she had to sit there and bitch to her Mom during HIS dinner. He is raising Sophia 99% of the time, and that's the thanks he gets? "I am calm." I don't want to see Farrah when she isn't "calm" then. I hate the c word, but Farrah is a raging c***. Her Mom sucks, yes, but Farrah is a c***. She doesn't want to be a part of drama, but that's all she is: a walking piece of shit, drama queen, who thinks the world should thank her for living. No thanks

Edited by kp199
  • Love 8

I refuse to believe that Ryan isn't on something; he was totally spaced out while talking to Maci about the accident and a few weeks back, he seemed spaced out when talking to his friends about Farrah and her "furjinah". And don't get me started about him admitting on national TV that he doesn't put his child in a car seat as mandated by law. I wonder if Jen and Larry know about this?

Sophia looks just like Derrick and that's not a good thing!

I bet 6 years from now, Tyler will give the same speech about going back to school because he has a kid to take care of.

• Love 8

Still watching this episode but I just had to comment on one thing real quick - I love that Maci and whats-his-name got a puppy, because it's hilarious seeing how the dog changes sizes in almost every scene. It makes it almost possible to tell what was originally filmed and what was re-enacted.

• Love 9

I'm only halfway through so more thoughts later. But one for now: Fuck off, Tyler.

So THIS^^^^. What was this bullshit of him wanting for Catelynn to "look her hottest" (paraphrasing) walking down the isle? She will look her hottest knowing that she is walking down the isle to a man who loves her unconditionally no matter what her size. I hope something/someone stops this wedding for Cate's sake.

• Love 8

Maci
Yikes that Jeep accident looked scary!  Must say if it had to happen to any of them I'm kind of glad it was Maci. Not because of any personal opinions about Maci, but the rest of them don't seem to understand how to buckle a child into a car-seat most of the time (and apparently Ryan doesn't even use one a lot of the time).  I can imagine the poor kid flying all over the car, so I'm glad they were both/all okay. I realize that most of the TM girls (and Dads) are lax about the whole car-seat and seatbelt situation, but Ryan may win the prize as the worst in terms of not even trying.

Farrah
What a bitch (please excuse my language). I expect her to be bitchy with her parents and the producers by now, but even in the very first scene of her talking with her so-called 'boyfriend' on the phone she's nasty right from the get go. "Are you coming here this weekend, or what are you doing?" in an irritated tone followed by a smirk. Then she makes fun of his "wouldn't miss it for the world" reply. Cannot stand her! 

Also, how much hairspray do they go through in her house?  The walls must be sticky! I couldn't believe how much she doused Sophia with when they were prepping for the photo shoot. Separate note, I know this is shallow but man, instead of buying your Mom a face lift please just buy her some matte powder! She is so shiny.

I couldn't help but laugh when Farrah went to the neighbor's house and the neighbor asked "so what's the history behind the sauce?" as if she actually cared. At least Farrah seems to be fairly smart in her business decisions, even if she's a bitch about it. I cannot imagine having to deal with her on a regular basis.

Good job sleeping Sophia. I think that was the best option.

Catelynn/Tyler
Normally I really dislike Tyler and especially his weight comments, but I must admit I kind of saw where he was coming from this time. Seems like Catelynn wants to talk about losing weight, buy all the 'necessities' for it (because one must have a food press, elliptical, etc.), but then come up with reasons not to follow through. Tyler seemed like he was trying to be halfway supportive without being a jerk.

I hope Tyler's serious about going back to school. I don't think so, but I hope so.  I couldn't believe Catelynn herself was actually talking about pushing back the wedding - again! - over her weight ("just kidding!"). I also thought it was pretty uncool of the family to bring up that whole discussion DURING dinner. She could've been eating the healthiest thing ever and felt like crap because of the timing.  It was also a little bizarre seeing her go to try on her wedding dress after TWO YEARS. I wonder how often places have to hold them that long. I have to think it's not that common. It's beautiful but it may even be out of style by the time she finally gets married.

Amber
Seriously girl, Vegas is probably not the place to go to celebrate anything related to jel, recovery, or getting off of parole. She sounded drunk when she asked the producer to take a picture "unner de sign."  Her fight with Matt was painful to watch because I could tell they were both feeding off of each others' hot buttons. It reminded me of her fights with Gary. In the hotel scene I thought it was funny that her sweater looked like prison stripes.

I loved hearing her genuinely laugh on the helicopter ride. I really do root for her and I hope she has more moments like that, and less like the stupid argument in the car with Matt.

That psychic made me laugh. I was surprised they'd tell an engaged couple some of what they said... it was decent advice even if it was kind of cheesy.

Heather
I know she's not one of the moms but she seems to be the most televised producer. I hope she gets overtime or hazard pay for all the crap she has to deal with between Amber and Farrah. Thought she did a good job this episode.

So THIS^^^^. What was this bullshit of him wanting for Catelynn to "look her hottest" (paraphrasing) walking down the isle? She will look her hottest knowing that she is walking down the isle to a man who loves her unconditionally no matter what her size. I hope something/someone stops this wedding for Cate's sake.

Well the good (??) news is, Tyler's stopped/postponed it successfully several times and Cate seems to be working on her own sabotages now, so I am thinking the wedding will probably never happen.

• Love 4

Even though the weight issue was really something on last night's episode, Farrah managed to steal my attention. From the way she talks and her facial expression (before she talks and during), you can tell that she is prepared to verbally attack. That becomes obvious when the subject isn't her favorite or/and if it includes her mother talking as well, make sure to hold on to something!

I feel like their relationship, from what we've seen during their years of filming, never really evolved. The way she talks to her mother tells that she holds such a grudge against her and that her mother seriously did her wrong. I feel like she is still secretly blaming her  for plenty of things, but acts like that is all water under the bridge. She acts like she made a proper change in order to make their relationship better, but her mother never followed through. I admire her for not being tired to pick the same old battles with her mother over and over again. Either try to make it work, change something in your relationship for the better, if not, then cut her loose. It's not like she would be the first kid ever that doesn't see eye to eye with her parents and has distance relationships with them. On the other hand, it's funny how they are her only support system, they are always there no matter what she says about them.I'm not defending her mother, it's just too obvious that her mother can't have a proper conversation with her, no matter how much she walks on eggshells.

Macy, stop trying to make stories for yourself, it's not working, accident or no accident. Her go-to story was always about how Ryan is the bad parent (I'm not nominating him for the Father of the year award either), it seems like she enjoys criticizing him and having always new material to do so. That way, she turns out to be better parent than him and way better parent than she is.

It was funny when Tyler was talking about how the bride has to feel like the hottest thing ever and Cate took a bit of his food. That whole dinner was so unpleasant for her, I'd probably start crying and leave. He was an absolute jerk throughout the whole episode. He tried with the whole you're beautiful thing in the end, but that can't wash all the things he said before. One nice thing against ton of bad ones, yeah, not gonna cut it.

• Love 6

So far I only saw about halfway, but I have some immediate thoughts:

Sophia--putting that poor girl in all of that makeup and dress was awful!  She looked awful, and it just seemed so sad to me as it seems representative of her future.  Plus they kept referencing Fancy, which is not a good thing according to the song it comes from.  Ugh.

Macy--I felt bad for her and Bentley being in that accident and I was horrified that after they were both in accidents that Ryan said that about the carseat.  How can you not care about your child's safety.  Sure, he was fine, but perhaps he hadn't been in a major accident as a child--what happens when he has one with Bentley and why risk that esp when booster seats are so easy to use and install.  

Catelynn-- I think there is not much to overthink about the weight.  She is like many other people struggling with the idea of having to lose weight.  It isn't easy, and she has a jerk boyfriend that is making it impossible, as it is very hard to lose weight when someone pressures you and so much easier if you have the space to do it on your own without comments like his.  That lunch was awful, and whoever the woman was going along with Tyler about how to lose weight was getting on my nerves.

• Love 4
(edited)

I wonder when CateLynn was her "hottest" according to Bootleg Beiber. High School? Two babies ago? I'm betting that's not going to happen for her again Ty Ty.

And let's just say she hits her high school weight in time for the wedding, just how long does he think she'll be able to sustain that weight? Catelynn is no Maci. Rail thin is never going to happen for her.

They also don't seem to be surrounded by any exercise enthusiasts. It's brutal try and maintain workouts and healthy eating when there isn't anyone around with the same mindset. There needs to be more support than sitting around a table telling her what SHE needs to do.

Edited by Brooklynista
  • Love 8

I wonder when CateLynn was her "hottest" according to Bootleg Beiber. High School? Two babies ago? I'm betting that's not going to happen for her again Ty Ty.

And let's just say she hits her high school weight in time for the wedding, just how long does he think she'll be able to sustain that weight? Catelynn is no Maci. Rail thin is never going to happen for her.

Yeah, Catelynn is definitely a yo-yo dieter. There have been seasons where she's thinner than others, but she seems like someone who has to work really hard and stay really disciplined in order to stay under a certain size, and with Nova right now, that's probably not her priority. If Tyler finds her so grotesque, I wish he would just leave her and let her move on. Actually, I wish Cate would just leave him, but she probably never will. Tyler has her convinced he's out of her league and she'll never be able to do better.

I wish Cate would make more of an attempt to eat healthy for the sake of setting a good example for Nova, but that could be said of all the moms, and dads- especially YOU, Gary. Poor Sophia is going to be drinking meal replacement shakes and counting carbs by the time she's 10. I'm not too positive about Leah's future eating habits either.

• Love 4

Okay, can we just start with Amber? I really feel the need to address her trip to Las Vegas. She is finally off parole and wants to celebrate.....so the former addict goes to Vegas? Not to mention she has horrible problems with social anxiety. Who chose this destination??? I'd think Vegas would be one of the WORST choices for someone who has issues with addictive substances and crowds of people.

Although that diner didn't look particularly crowded. Was is just because someone was ostensibly staring at her? This is why I really wish Amber would get her butt in therapy. She needs to learn some coping mechanisms for dealing with people/uncomfortable situations...otherwise she's going to just live the rest of her life on that sectional and/or lash out in anger when confronted with a situation she doesn't know how to properly handle. 

But I love that we're already hearing about Matt punching a wall. That's just swell. I so wonder about this dude's past, and where his kid(s) is/are. What a pair these two make. FTR, I actually was with Matt in the car. He was irritated with her behavior, but when he realized he's said something offensive that set her off, he TRIED to say sorry and deescalate. But it was too late for that. Once Amber is in that zone, it's almost impossible to reverse courses. She becomes so singular minded - "I change for the cameras. I change for the cameras. I change for the cameras. Fuck you". Exhausting. 

But, still, not okay to get physical...even with a wall. Especially when said wall doesn't belong to you. And I loved how Amber claimed he was acting like a 15-year-old boy in that moment. As if all 15-year-boys go around acting violent. Was that her excuse when she attacked Gary? She had a Freaky Friday moment and changed places with a former classmate or something? 

I just can't with Farrah. She is another exhausting one. I didn't even get what was going on with her and Deborah and the stupid sauce, but I just feel like she has to turn everything into a fight. Everything. Her mother says one word and she is instantly eye rolling and coming back with some condescending remark. If your parents bother you THAT much, just cut them off for good. But she won't do that, because she wants to use them for babysitters and what-not. Okay, so if that's the case, show some respect to them for the things they do and let the other shit go. Family is complicated, but I feel Farrah makes it way more complicated than it needs to be. 

Also, what in the natural fuck was that "photo shoot" with Sophia? What was the point? Narcissist training? It was creepy as hell. 

Damn, Maci's wreck was super scary. It's a miracle all three of them walked away from that unscathed. And then Ryan gets in a wreck right around the same time??? What is going on down there? I'm glad he openly admitted he was looking for his phone instead of paying attention on the road. At least he wasn't trying to deflect and make excuses. But damn, between that and the fact that he doesn't always put Bentley in his car seat - I'd be incredibly pissed off. I'd be taking his ass back to court and trying to get some stipulation that only Jen or Larry can drive the kid around. What if Bentley had been with him that day? And not in the car seat? Fuck. Maci only looked mildly annoyed, which in turn annoyed me. I wanted her to get angrier than that. 

Catelynn and her weight. Poor thing. I will say, she was very brave to step on a scale on national TV. I feel like Cate wants to do the right by her health, but it's hard. She is likely still fairly exhausted. Most 2-month-old babies are not sleeping through the night yet. She LOOKS exhausted at any rate. Also, this may not be true for anyone, but I was hungrier and had stronger cravings when breastfeeding than I did when pregnant.  And I don't think she's ever been set up with healthy eating habits in her life. She's going to need to make some major changes. 

So Tyler with his constant hovering and micro-managing are not helping things any. And I'm glad she told him so. All that nitpicking and questioning what she's doing - it just sets her up for defeat. Just sit back and shut up and be there for her IF she comes to you. Also, please quit fucking bringing up the past. Don't mention how much she used to weigh, don't talk about how "tiny" she was before Carly and how she barely touched her food. Is that what you want? Another unhealthy relationship with food, except on the opposite side? 

I see Tyler as very conflicted. Sometimes he has this look on his face like he's just disgusted with her and is totally scared she won't lose the weight. But then I also get the impression that he really WANTS to be a supportive boyfriend and help her out. Maybe he just doesn't know what that means. Maybe his high and mighty opinions about her body are taking precedence over caring about her actual feelings. I don't know. But he has just got to shut up. 

Weight Watchers is a good way to go, though. If she can stick with it and do some reasonable amount of exercise, she should be able to slim down a bit before her wedding. I just want to see her get healthy. She might benefit from some counseling as well. Girls tend to be emotional eaters. I know I am. And I feel like both of them still have some unresolved issues with giving their first baby up. At any rate, she has to get some better self control if she wants to reach her goal. I saw you eating off of Tyler's plate, Catelynn! I do that too often with my kids' plates and it's hard. I get it, girl. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Ryan must be punking us right? I mean who has the audacity to say ON CAMERA that you don't put their kid in a carseat. Either he has a huge sense of entitlement and arrogance to think that it's OK to endanger his child, or he is just stupid, or he is playing a joke on us all. I am voting for a combo of 1 and 2. 

Amber the addict  goes to Vegas, says it's ok to drink a little. Creepy bf blew up my creep meter with his mysterious hand injury. So we have 2 addicts, both who have the propensity for violence drinking in Vegas. Great! Message to Amber: they are staring at the camera, not you. If I was eating in a restaurant and a film crew walked in, I'd stare too  Just as an aside, WTF was she drinking? It looked horrible. 

I don't want to defend Tyler, because he is a ginormous douche, but I think he is trying to be supportive. My guess is taht Cate talks about weight and food nonstop. So he says when do you want to start? What should you eat? Kid is clueless as to how to be supportive and it comes off like he is needling her. I don't think Cate has food addiction, I think she just never learned to eat properly. Look at the household she was raised in. One think I have learned from reality TV is that people in dysfunctional families, particularly where there is a lack of education, eat like crap. It's fast food, fast food. Young adults typically learn to cook from their parents or older family members. Butch is a druggie and April isn't far behind, she looks like a meth head. So learning to cook and eat right didn't happen for Cate and Tyler. So the idea of cooking a chicken breast or developing a meal plan is uncharted territory. THey said it themselves, if they had to choose between McDonalds and cooking a meal, McDonalds always wins. It's what they know. Cate should go on WW. That would give her lists of food to eat. Also, the reliance on Dr Internet is not something I recommend. Every time teh two of them can't figure something out, they jump onto a phone to "look it up". Cate would be better served to ask both her doctor and her ped what is the best time to start dieting, considering she is still breastfeeding. Her doctor can also give her good sound diet advice or refer her to a nutritionist. 

I have no words for Farrah. I just can't with the pepper sauce. That family can fight about ANYTHING

Edited by poeticlicensed
  • Love 1

It’s obvious that Ryan doesn’t give a shit about Bentley.  He never has. He’s useless.

Farrah and Deb going into business together is going to be a shitshow. Farrah is a bitch.

Catelynn is the only sane one.

Amber and Matt will never make it.

Where were the kids?

• Love 4
(edited)

I have a feeling Tyler has listened to her vocalize concerns about her weight without actually doing something about it and so he's nudging her to action. Being young and being a man he's not always going to nudge the way he should or the way a woman may respond to but the truth is the weight loss issue is hard for couples to converse about and I don't think that topics pertaining to health and appearance should be off-topic to partners. Expressing conern about a partner's changing appearance doesn't automatically make someone a total jerk. Tyler's a jerk for like a million other reasons but I give him credit on this one. In some converations it's clear he is trying to support her and nudge her in the direction SHE says she wants to go.

I have to agree with this. Catelynn is likely complaining about her weight issues non-stop when the cameras aren't rolling. It's really, really frustrating to listen to someone voice concerns about an issue repeatedly without doing any damn thing about it, and I think that's what's happening here. I also thing Tyler *tried* to be diplomatic, asking Catelynn how she wants him to go about supporting and encouraging her.

And, frankly, I think it's kind of unfair to assign a person the role of "asshole" because s/he has some feelings about a partner's physical appearance. The reality is that physical attractiveness, while very subjective, plays a big part in relationships. That's not to say there is a general standard of beauty to which one must subscribe, but rather a personal preference that can be hard to change. There's technically nothing wrong with Tyler wanting his partner to loss weight. He's not a jerk because he wants her to look THE SAME WAY SHE WANTS TO LOOK. I get that she had a baby a few months ago, but she does fuck all to achieve the goals she sets and that's a theme across other areas, like school and general issues involving motivation. Seems like she's a person who sets goals, sticks to them for a few days, then finds excuses not to follow through and instead complains about lack of achievement. This must be really annoying.

Of course, Tyler can be a total douche. So this doesn't forgive all his other shitty behavior.

Edited by SaveLevi
  • Love 4
I get that she had a baby a few months ago, but she does fuck all to achieve the goals she sets and that's a theme across other areas, like school and general issues involving motivation. Seems like she's a person who sets goals, sticks to them for a few days, then finds excuses not to follow through and instead complains about lack of achievement. This must be really annoying.

They're a perfect match then, because Tyler is the same way. He'd probably be just as heavy as she is if he wasn't blessed with good metabolism. I doubt he eats any better. And just because one is on the thinner side, that doesn't mean they can't have health problems. But look at how he was about college. He just delayed going because he couldn't figure out what classes to take. Instead of, oh you know, talking to an adviser or someone at the school. I think they're both on the lazy side and love making excuses. Catelynn seems to want to act like she can't begin dieting or exercising until she figures out for sure what's okay while nursing. Procrastinating peas in a pod, those two. 

• Love 6
(edited)

I have to agree with this. Catelynn is likely complaining about her weight issues non-stop when the cameras aren't rolling. It's really, really frustrating to listen to someone voice concerns about an issue repeatedly without doing any damn thing about it, and I think that's what's happening here. I also thing Tyler *tried* to be diplomatic, asking Catelynn how she wants him to go about supporting and encouraging her.

And, frankly, I think it's kind of unfair to assign a person the role of "asshole" because s/he has some feelings about a partner's physical appearance. The reality is that physical attractiveness, while very subjective, plays a big part in relationships. That's not to say there is a general standard of beauty to which one must subscribe, but rather a personal preference that can be hard to change. There's technically nothing wrong with Tyler wanting his partner to loss weight. He's not a jerk because he wants her to look THE SAME WAY SHE WANTS TO LOOK. I get that she had a baby a few months ago, but she does fuck all to achieve the goals she sets and that's a theme across other areas, like school and general issues involving motivation. Seems like she's a person who sets goals, sticks to them for a few days, then finds excuses not to follow through and instead complains about lack of achievement. This must be really annoying.

Of course, Tyler can be a total douche. So this doesn't forgive all his other shitty behavior.

I think that he has the support for her in combination with his wish for her to look great. Like you said, who wouldn't want their partner to be healthy, fit and after all, good? I think that in this particular episode his wish overruled the support. I also agree with the poster that said that he wasn't maybe that good at showing support the way she need him to. That is why I think it's a good thing that he asked her in the end. Someone can think that the way he/she speaks is encouragement, but to someone it can have a pressure vibe and sound like forcing.

The bolded part is what I don't agree with. I get the impression that he wants for her to look like he mentioned she looked before giving birth, tiny. I don't think she is motivated for that and even wants to go to those lenghts. I think it is also due to the fact that maybe she doesn't have faith in herself enough to think that she can achieve that kind of a goal and also that she partially accepted that her body changed with giving birth and things that came with that. (Six years after Carly she still wasn't near being tiny and I don't think she was bothered by it)

He wants her to be one thing, but I don't think she wants it or sees it as a realistic posibility. I hope she will go for her goal instead of his in the end.

I find it hilarious how people still remember and can't forgive Tyler for the dog! It's like - We all know what you did.

Edited by EuropeanGirl

Fuck you, Catelynn's dad's girlfriend, for your medically unsound input. 1200 calories for a 180 lb person = starvation.

Fuck you, Ryan, for not using a car seat. He does seem like his IQ is lower than average.

Fuck you, Farrah, for trying to resolve a conversation with "The. End." I seriously think everyone in her life should dump her when she pulls out that line. Anyone who puts up with that is enabling her and her crap communication skills.

Finally, fuck you, Farrah & Co, for giving Sophia that teased-crown, side-bangs-smashed-against-the-face hairdo that Farrah used to wear a few years back.

• Love 9
(edited)

I'm so glad we're only one episode away from this show being over for the season...and hopefully finished for good. No one on the show has changed since 16 & P.

Out of all the TMs on this show Amber is my favorite, but damn the girl frustrates me! She probably has the least support, next to Cate. I'm not a fan of Matt in the least, although he is weirdly kind of a sympathetic creep and grifter. Maybe Amber needs to look at herself and ask what the common denominator is in her failed relationships and get a little perspective and realize that number one, it's HER. She is the problem because she still needs to work on herself and develop and grow further before throwing herself into a relationship. And two, realize she makes bad decisions and she needs therapy (wasn't she diagnosed as bipolar in season 2?). And three, instead of dating, develop healthy hobbies and friendships. Join a book club, spend time outdoors, do the couch to 5k, plant a small garden. I'm sure these are all foreign concepts to her, but if she was in therapy she would likely hear similar suggestions.

Amber has noodles for brains by going to Vegas as an addict with a social anxiety disorder. I was actually feeling a little bad for Matt in the car before he stupidly punched the wall with his fist back at the hotel. It will not end well for these two. Her producer looked worried and knows this.

With Cate, I think she has to tell Tyler to back off. Tyler is comparing pregnancy weight gain and getting her body back with that of his sister who is built like Tyler and lives with them. Cate is lazy, but I agree with her about the more he nags her about her diet/working out the less likely she'll respond positively to it. Once she gets in a losing zone, Cate will be the one who will want to talk about it and ask Tyler for specific ways to support her. Too bad her friend didn't chime in and volunteer to help support her with doing Weight Watchers together -- I think Cate would do well with a heavier friend who was super motivated to lose weight along with her. Regardless of how much she loses, I'm glad to see her make an effort and I hope she'll keep going beyond the wedding and get to a healthy weight for her height. Even at 140 if she's 5'2" is a little heavy. Baby steps.

Farrah & Maci <yawn>

Edited by msblossom
  • Love 2

Uuuhhh, guys? Have we had a chance to discuss the giant AMBER tattoo on Matt's forearm?

He's a direction-less moocher and a loser with no apparent career. So basically, he is what all these girls will be at 40 years old. No job, no career, mooching off of whoever will pay their bills, and with fugly tattoos.

Tyler's a jerk, but there is no apparent reason why Caitlyn and Tyler can't take a college class or put their baby in a jogging stroller and walk around the block to get some exercise. Caitlyn can't do better than Tyler because no guy who is actually working towards a goal is going to want to be with someone who has two kids, no education, no job, and no apparent direction in life.

• Love 1

Farrah's personality is so offensive that she can't scrounge up one phony friend to do scenes with her. I'm certain the neighbor is getting paid by MTV to put up with stupid visits from Farrah.

Sophia is really unattractive, but Farrah doesn't need to make it worse with her trashy, dated styling of the poor child.

• Love 12

What is up with Farrah's only friend being her 70 year-old neighbor? Does she live in a retirement community?

As far as Catelynn, Tyler is "supporting" her weight loss in all the wrong ways (Why doesn't he exercise with her or cook healthy food with her instead of just telling her what to do?) but she is also in denial. Asking Tyler to Google if losing too much weight could be bad for breastfeeding? Catelynn, you are not in any danger of that. You can worry about it when it happens. Or God forbid, actually consult a doctor instead of Google.

• Love 3
(edited)

Farrah's personality is so offensive that she can't scrounge up one phony friend to do scenes with her. I'm certain the neighbor is getting paid by MTV to put up with stupid visits from Farrah.

Oh, I'm sure the neighbor is a paid friend; I just wonder how many doors producers knocked on before they found someone willing to listen to Farrah bitch about her life.  Remember one season her only "friend" was her  thirty-something hair dresser; they would do scenes in restaurants where Farrah did all the talking?   Even her 'boyfriend' lives in a completely different state.  

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 4

I seriously think everyone in her life should dump her when she pulls out that line

I think, except for her parents, everyone in her life HAS dumped her. That girl can't keep a friend or boyfriend to save her life. I imagine all these would-be reality stars thinking "huh, I'll hang with Farrah, get my mug on TV, and see if that leads to greater things, like my own D list fame and fortune!" . Then they spend 5 min with her and are like, "meh, not worth it. Guess I'll go back to my boring office job and obscurity."

• Love 6

I thought Tyler was quite douchey about Catelynn's weight during the pregnancy. However, I have to kind of stick up for him a bit in this episode. Catelynn seems to be dealing with her weight loss goals like I have for months since giving birth - it's something she talks a lot about without actually putting concerted effort into it. She might have lost some weight after giving birth without having to really watch what she ate or exercising but in that one conversation she was clearly using the breast-feeding as an excusing for putting off making the effort. I have a feeling Tyler has listened to her vocalize concerns about her weight without actually doing something about it and so he's nudging her to action. Being young and being a man he's not always going to nudge the way he should or the way a woman may respond to but the truth is the weight loss issue is hard for couples to converse about and I don't think that topics pertaining to health and appearance should be off-topic to partners. Expressing conern about a partner's changing appearance doesn't automatically make someone a total jerk. Tyler's a jerk for like a million other reasons but I give him credit on this one. In some converations it's clear he is trying to support her and nudge her in the direction SHE says she wants to go.

They're both wrong. I get the impression that Tyler's expecting instant results. He thinks she eats one chicken breast and loses ten pounds. It's going to take some time for Cate to get back to her high school weight. We're looking at 5 years of constant weight gain. You can't expect her to slim down in 6 months for her wedding after accumulating these bad habits. He's bullshitting hard. He just wants a skinny girlfriend again.

And Cate is just as full of shit. She can come up with a million reasons not to exercise but the truth is that eating healthy is good for her and good for Nova, especially if she's breastfeeding. Hold off on toning your arms for a bit but diet is 90% of the game. No baby has suffered because the mom was eating too many vegetables and not enough fried chicken.

At this point, I'm just as desperate for Catelynn to lose weight so the show will finally stop using weight loss as her primary storyline.

Catelynn's wedding dress doesn't fit her anymore, but she ignores the obvious metaphor that Tyler isn't the right fit for her either.

Nailed it!

• Love 3

Yeah, I actually think Farrah's parents should dump her. I know they don't want to lose access to Sophia (and Sophia also has something to gain by spending time with them), but by tolerating her behavior, they will never allow her to grow as a person. She'll never suffer consequences from treating them like shit.

Years back, I was a Farrapologist. I really felt bad that her mom hit her. I really, really did. But this episode, I so wanted her mom to hit her.

• Love 7

On a shallow note, Michael needs an updated pair of glasses. They are so ugly. But, he seems like a very patient guy, what the hell is he doing around these people? Oh yeah, Sophia. I think Sophia is so adorable.

Amber really is a pretty girl, she just needs to get her shit together. It was nice to not see Geeery. I noticed the Amber tattoo on her bf. Yikes. Too soon!

Farrah is so horrible. What a cruel heartless wench.

Maci, just looks depressed.

Poor Catelynn.

• Love 5

1)  Poor Caitlyn you'll lose weight but Tyler will then find some other hoop for you to jump through.  Aww...the spinelessness of being a young woman with a need to please. I remember it well.

2)  Farrah is just a mess.  Wonder what Sophia will be like in her teen years.  Damn me for looking forward to that reality show cause something tells me it will happen and I'll be there....watching.

3) Amber....what can I say...at least she wasnt on the couch this week arguing with Geery.  She took her show to Vegas and we got a scary argument with new boyfriend/fiance.

4)  Maci....Ryan is an idiot.  He didnt wear a seatbelt growing up and look how he turned out.

• Love 3
Fuck you, Catelynn's dad's girlfriend, for your medically unsound input. 1200 calories for a 180 lb person = starvation.

I know, right??? I thought that chick was insane. Not to mention, Cate is nursing, which can burn 300-500 calories per day. So, she's supposed to live on 600-900 calories???

Uuuhhh, guys? Have we had a chance to discuss the giant AMBER tattoo on Matt's forearm?

Whoa, how did I miss that? Good thing I haven't deleted this off my DVR yet. I need to go back and get a glimpse of yet another epically shitty TM tattoo. They should start giving out awards, like the Razzies. "Will Age the Worst". "Portrait That Will Give You the Most Nightmares". 

• Love 3