Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E11: Hello, Kitty Girls!

• Start Topic

(edited)

First off, I can't believe Sanrio allowed their beloved Hello Kitty to be a part of this mess.  

Ugh... I'm done with this show.  Katya (and Ginger to a lesser extent) is the only one who can really bring it in pretty much every challenge. Other than looking great on the runway, I don't think Violet has any appreciable talent, she can't act and can't sing.  I don't get her.  Then there's Pearl, same thing, and that unflattering blanket/dress was tied with Kennedy's for the worst outfit.  Then the lipsync, Kennedy did an awful lot of flailing and headbanging and crappy splits which just made me laugh.  I thought it was terrible.  I really don't care who wins at this point.  I'm done.

Edited by briochetwist
  • Love 3

With all due respect to Lance Bass, the idea of Katya being the fifth best contestant this season is about as reasonable as Justin Timberlake being the fifth most talented and successful member of NSYNC.

• Love 10

I'm sorry to see Katya go; I hope she gets a great boost to this career from being on this show.

I liked this episode, there was so much time spent in the work room, and no villains, just friendly competitors. Violet was great this week, laughing at herself when Ginger was making her puppet talk, killing the horsefly on the runway. She is limited, but she's improved so much this season. 

Pearl still brings almost nothing to this show.

• Love 4

I can't fault the Violet win, as this challenge was "right on her alley" and she truly nailed at least the second half, which I assume was the more important look - because I thought her Hello Kitty character was rather mundane while Ginger's and Katya's were hysterical. Had I not seen all of the Katya goes home tonight spoilers around the internets, I would have assumed that it would be Pearl and Kennedy in the LSFYL. I agreed with Michelle on Pearl's second look. It looked like a Hello Kitty snuggie. I'll miss Katya for the next week or two. I love her willingness to cross the line into the truly bizarre, and her charming but misplaced self doubt. She's one of the more memorable and marketable of this years queens, so I'm sure she will be able to reap the benefits for a few years.

• Love 5

He locas! I'm about to rant!

This freaking season! I don't get the eliminations! Kennedy had been in the bottom 2 before and was saved BIG TIME when Ru decided to make it a team challenge on the true stories episode! Kennedy sucked! Was it a good lip sync performance tonight? Sure, but it was a lot of moves that looked like a freaking seizure to me, as opposed to what Katya was doing! Katya did some acrobatics tonight also, and her Hello Kitty BFF runway was the best of the night! I almost fell off the couch laughing as opposed to Kennedy's weak effort! Pearl's final runway tonight was a blanket wrapped around her body with a decapitated Hello Kitty stuffed animal perched on her head! I mean seriously!

Violet deserved the win, and I have enjoyed how she can laugh at herself from the Despy awards episode on.

Would have loved to have seen how Miss Fame and Max would have handled this challenge. I truly miss them both.

I won't make the effort to claim I'm done with this show, I'm Rupaul's bitch and will watch whatever he puts out there for Drag Race. He's brought us so much new talent over the years, and his positive attitude is just so awesome I can't quit him. Damn it!

• Love 3

Well, for the first time in RPDR history I didn't even bother to watch 'Untucked' after the show was over (we get it on tv here in Canada right after the show as always).

The has been the worst season ever for me and the only thing that kept me coming back was Katya. The fact that she was sent home tonight when the wholly unoriginal Kennedy gets to stay? Don't get it and don't want it (Kennedy, that is). It's not even that I honestly don't care who wins but I honestly have no interest whatsoever in watching what's left of this shitty, shitty season.

I love this forum and all the folks who post here and hope to see you again for Season 8 which I hope against hope is a true, full season, NO PAIRS, All Stars! Bye, luvs!

• Love 2

Eh, I had a bad feeling this was coming. I didn't even watch tonight's episode.

I can't believe I'm typing this, but I don't think I'm even going to bother with the rest of the season at this point. There isn't a winner I can be particularly happy about, and the arbitrary nature of the judging is too blatant this season.

This season really is a bust for me. No Max (who admittedly stumbled badly, but was original and interesting to me), no more Katya, the continued runs of Kennedy and Pearl, and the likely crowning of Ginger Minj? Meh. I do like Violet at this point, so I'll continue to watch in hopes that she can beat Ginger, but whatever. Really a bad season.

• Love 2

Really a bad season.

In general, yes. This season's casting was ill conceived. Who thought baby queens vs. run of the mill regional pageant/club queens was a good idea?  Sure Katya has been an unexpected delight, but at least when the show was taped truly lacked the nerve to push through. Other than that, Ginger is amusing and has crack timing, Violet shows promise and Kasha could probably given them all a run for their money if the producers hadn't been hell bent on making the season all about a handful of half-formed queens who weren't ready for prime time and won't (or should I say, had better not in the case of Pearl) win anyway. Can we really expect more from a show with seven seasons under its belt? Some major retooling is probably required for season 8 to keep it interesting.

This season has had one interesting effect - and that's on the social media community.  They're in high holy melt down mode this evening....again. You can practically see the flames for the pyre they're building to roast Ru on over at Reddit.

• Love 4

Its clear that they either want a beautiy queen to win (Violet or Pearl) or a big queen (Ginger). Katya wasnt a pick cause she would be the second comedy queen in a row to win the show so thats why they had to get rid of her now before she could make some danger to their choose ones. I liked the challenge tho, really funny the Hello Kitty BFF (apart from Kennedy one). Violet deserved the victory by having the best runway outfit and a solid HK BFF.

The bottom 2 tho, should have being Kennedy for being the worst on both challenges and Pearl for her meh runway look, but its official, shes this year Adore and if we take in count her twitter followers, she might win this sh#$. While I actually found her HK BFF funny, Katya owned it. Yes, her runway look was a miss, but her character should made up for her to be safe. This elimination really makes me feel way less invested on the rest of the season, specially when it becomes obvious who will be the final 3. I have no doubt next week will be Kennedy going, unless they really dediced to make a beauty queen/Pearl win, so they might send Ginger home.

• Love 1

Um...yeah. Sorry, but Kennedy was clearly the weakest performer in this challenge and her lip sync was too frantic. Katya's runway look wasn't the best and neither was Pearl's, but Katya's Hello Kitty character was hysterical while Pearl's was just okay.

I get that Ru believes that the pretty boys bring in the ratings, but this is becoming Rebecca Glasscock all over again (sort of - to her credit, Pearl is no where near as nasty-spirited as Rebecca and is better-looking). Can't we just, like, put a picture of Pearl up in the corner of the screen while the show airs? Then Ru and her audience can have the eye candy and we can keep the queens who are actually entertaining.

Despite the disappointing elimination, this episode cracked me up. Overall, this season feels like a bit of an experiment, a whole lot didn't land, but cracked-out challenges like this one totally work. I was dying over them all stumbling around the work room in the mascot heads and the BFF runway presentations.

Thanks to Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, I think Hello Kitty is owned by Japan Perv Co. And I kept waiting for Hello Kitty to suggest they all have an orgy, in a deep male voice.

• Love 1

Kennedy's lip sync was the "watch all these death drops so you don't notice I don't know all the words" variety.  If she had to get another free pass, it should've been against Pearl, if for no other reason than to watch her topple over trying to move in her skin tight snuggie.

• Love 3
(edited)

I LOL'd when Violet (was it Violet??) told Santino and Ru that she wanted to go to Red Lobster with Santino. HA!

The second we were told about the puppets mini challenge I immediately thought of Alaska's gold medal caliber creation Lil Poundcake. Sigh, the memories! Anyway...

Ok I admit to emitting a squeal when HK was shown as the special guest. As a child I was a HK freak and unfortunately, although I grew out of that decades ago, certain relatives still shower me with HK crap; I use what I can. I thought the maxi challenge had a cute idea, using HK gear to create an outfit and then of course creating a HK BFF. However...

Katya sashaying away? NO. To quote Detox: "I have had it...officially!" This season's winner had been decided way back, it's either gonna be Ginger or Lord help us all, Pearl. Ginger being crowned I don't have a problem with, but Pearl? NO. I haven't seen Untucked yet, I'm not sure if I want to.

I really hope that Katya gets a ton of bookings and exposure from her time on the show. Luv. Her.

Edited by Kaboom 2.0
  • Love 3

Was I the only one who got the sense that if they were alone, Violet and Santino would have jumped each others bones to screw on the worktable? 

Sucks that Katya is gone....she was definitely one of the better queens in this dreadful season.

• Love 8

Such a horrible way to end a fabulous episode! I have a hard time separating these queens from their real life stank personalities. Loved Ginger in the beginning but now she's either "woah is me, I can't sew, I go home each night and cry", or being a catty old bitch with Kennedy. Ugh, enough.

And Ru, I beg of you enough with the LA Guardia, O'Hare, Kennedy schtick. Enough! Note to self, if I ever have to lip sync for my life, have a seizure.

RIP Katya. You were a great sport and a true talent.

Finally:

I am a straight woman and yet- I want to have all kinds of sex with violet. I'm so confused....

• Love 2

This is exactly what the show does best...get us all riled up, and then I saw on Facebook and Twitter that it's time to vote for "Miss Congeniality"! Same as happened with Pandora, and Ben DeLaCreme and all the queens who were sent home at the wrong time in a "shocking" elimination that would get the fan base riled up and get some voting going for the "you should have been in the finals, but we have another agenda" award.

Production is so desperately trying to make Pearl interesting that it's insulting. Her "my childhood was so terrrible that I drew things" story didn't even hold her interest long enough to finish telling it. Violet at least knows what's expected of her, suddenly becoming chummy and loving with her fellow queens. If you can't be a good performer, at least be a good contestant.

That lip synch had no chance of allowing Katya to win...you could see Ru immediately looking toward Kennedy, who certainly did a LOT of...something. It doesn't matter if the song is heartfelt or a pop sensation, just flail your arms around, do some splits and death drops, and suddenly you're a contender!! Just shameful.

I'll watch the end, in which I fully expect Ginger to be crowned (and rightfully so), but clearing the decks so that she's up against absolutely no competition in anything but looks isn't what makes this show fun.

• Love 2

I'm at least glad I don't have to watch any more of this terrible lackluster season or try to justify continuing to waste time on what has fast become an insult to general intelligence with my love for one competitor. So there, I did find something positive to say about it.

It's a shame because in the past this show has introduced me to performers I've come to really enjoy. But there's not a single one of these four left that I would pay actual money to see.

• Love 3
(edited)

I wouldn't cry for Katya too much.  She seems to be crazy popular and my crystal ball shows A LOT of high profile gigs, legions of fans, and a Miss Cong. prize in her future.  She's a fun, likeable, talented queen--a rarity on this season.  My only regret with her is that she was cast in S7;she has to be associated with this lack luster group.

Production is so desperately trying to make Pearl interesting that it's insulting. Her "my childhood was so terrrible that I drew things" story didn't even hold her interest long enough to finish telling it. Violet at least knows what's expected of her, suddenly becoming chummy and loving with her fellow queens. If you can't be a good performer, at least be a good contestant.

So much WORD to this post.  I will admit I don't despise Violet as much as I used to be she is by no means by favorite this season.  And Pearl....well even Rupual admitted one of the reasons she kept Pearl is because of her looks and potential popularity with a younger crowd.

Edited by Dirtybubble
  • Love 4

I love Hello Kitty schtick so this episode was fun for me. Plus the return of the shade-throwing puppets! 

While I'm not necessarily rooting for her to win it all, Pearl actually has grown on me quite a bit over the last few episodes. Her BFF look was hysterical! Come on Hello Kitty, if you were gonna be friends with Katya's BFF you could be friends with a bad influence too ;) I kind of liked her snuggie gown, especially compared to Kennedy's hot mess leo. Violet also really brought it. 

I was disappointed to see Katya go. She's still going to do well for herself but I always looked forward to her wacky creativity in building characters. I thought her looks were just fine, and I preferred her LSFYL style to Kennedy's ( came off super frenetic and desperate). I really thought she was going to stay :(

• Love 3

I agree with those who have just had it with Pearl.

I also thought Katya was significantly better than Ginger. If Ginger and Katya had switched outfits, I strongly suspect we would have to hear from the judges about how Ginger's outfit was so wonderfully imaginative; look at those amazing curves; thank god for your Judy Jetson realness; blah blah blah.

And then they'd tell Katya that what she did was cute but boring, and she should have gone further with it.

• Love 1

Sad to see Katya go (I'm not rooting for any remaining contestants), but man, I loved this challenge. Ru asking Hello Kitty what she thought of the BFFs and having to interpret her reaction from gestures alone was my favorite moment this season.

• Love 3

Overall, Katya was a far better contestant than Kennedy, but Kennedy went all-out and MADE you look at her.  I doubt she'll go much farther, though.

The only way I would accept Pearl as the season winner is if she suddenly turned into a Goddess of Drag and made your jaw drop with sheer awesomeness for the all the remaining episodes.  Nothing less would compensate for all the meh she's delivered so far.

Does anybody have the T yet on Untucked?  A brief summary of what happens?  It shows how unenthused I am with this season, I can't even muster up the energy to go over to youtube and watch it. 

• Love 1

I miss the days when you didn't practically have to do an Olympic floor routine to win a lipsync for your life on this show. The cartwheels, deathdrops and whatnot happen so frequently for seemingly no reasons or connection to songs.

• Love 11

Does anybody have the T yet on Untucked?  A brief summary of what happens?

It was mostly a slightly off-color love-in. They ragged on Ginger a bit for her unjustified insecurities...and apparently Violet has body odor issues.

• Love 1
(edited)

Following the comment on Violet's hand-held face wheel....I didn't find it it as fabulous as the judging panel. I understand where she was going with it - '50s or '60s sci-fi goddess with a fabulous radio aerial around her head - but the materials (literally) didn't hold up to the concept. The netting was droopy and made her look like Little Bo Peep. Violet was certainly the best of the group, at least in concept, but I didn't think there was that much of a difference between the best and the worst this week (which can happen when you have a challenge this insane.)

Honestly...if I had to judge this challenge, especially the second part, I would have simply thrown up my hands, started laughing, and said, "Not today, Satan." Or I would have gone and smoked a big ol' blunt and come back, to be in an appropriate mind-frame to judge this challenge. There are rare times where I think Michelle is the sane one on the panel. This last episode was one of them. Pearl wore a Hello Kitty snuggie topped with a bobbly-head and Santino compared her to Veruschka. It's the kind of thing Pearl can only get away with doing because she's 90 pounds and 6'4" and a very good makeup artist. If I saw her in person, I'd want to point at her and laugh.

Kennedy was the worst, even if only because she botched the first portion of the challenge completely, discounting her second look. Everyone else fulfilled the first part of the challenge pretty well, following a different prerogative. Violet and Ginger turned out characters that could be part of the Sanrio brand and Pearl and Katya (particularly) sent Hello Kitty up in a funny way. I don't think Pearl should have lasted as long as she has, but I'll give her props when she does well (and, like Michelle, a reference to Blonde Ambition Tour-era Madonna goes far with me.) If this were Project Runway or America's Next Top Model, Kennedy would have simply been eliminated. I completely understood Katya's concept for the second look, even if it was too busy. She looked like she walked out of the campy '60s Batman live-action series. I was rooting for Katya and, as I've said elsewhere on the forum, think she was the most original, imaginative, well-rounded queen this season. It's a tragedy that she didn't make final three, but she lost the lip-sync to Kennedy, even if it was close. Kennedy's face and pacing were closer to the spirit of the song. Still, it was this season's best group lip-sync.

Edited by vrocotamy
  • Love 2

So is this the drag ball this season? If so, i'm disappointed. Only two categories instead of three and very limited ones that didn't allow a lot of creativity or showing off one's designing skills. And i'm guessing the Siamese Twins episode was the Drag Baby episode, though i'm not going to cry too much about that one since the Drag Baby episodes are usually hot messes. So are we having another four person finale next episode or are they doing another main challenge before the finale?

• Love 5
(edited)

Tried to watch. This season they managed to make the puppet challenge unfunny. How does that even happen? The puppet challenge is never not funny. Gave up.

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 5

I wouldn't cry for Katya too much.  She seems to be crazy popular and my crystal ball shows A LOT of high profile gigs, legions of fans, and a Miss Cong. prize in her future.  She's a fun, likeable, talented queen--a rarity on this season.  My only regret with her is that she was cast in S7;she has to be associated with this lack luster group.

So much WORD to this post.  I will admit I don't despise Violet as much as I used to be she is by no means by favorite this season.  And Pearl....well even Rupual admitted one of the reasons she kept Pearl is because of her looks and potential popularity with a younger crowd.

Ru kept a drag queen in the competition because of her looks and appeal to fans?  That's outrageous.

• Love 1
(edited)

It was a rough night for me because, although I have been on Team Violet from the first episode, I have loved Katya since the promos started for the show.

Besides losing her THs, it's even more of a bummer because she shouldn't have been in the B2 with Kennedy in the first place.  Yes, I completely believe that Pearl was using Veruschka in the desert for inspiration.  Thanks for the life preserver, Santino!

I got my hopes up when Kennedy jumped onto the floor.  I could have sworn that I either read or heard Ru say that after the India/Mimi incident a rule was put into place that you must stay on the stage during the lip synch.  Did I just dream that, or are rules only enforced when convenient or beneficial *cough* Willam *cough*

Edited by Sile
  • Love 3

Poor Katya. She didn't deserve to be eliminated but hopefully she can win Miss Congeniality at the reunion. Violet's runway look was the most stunning so I believe she rightfully won this week. Kennedy Davenport is by far the weakest of the bunch and would have been eliminated many weeks ago if she were on a different season. Ginger Minj for the win!

I could have sworn that I either read or heard Ru say that after the India/Mimi incident a rule was put into place that you must stay on the stage during the lip synch.

YES! I heard that too, although I don't remember from where (it was from something behind the scenes, like a "moments that made us gag" show or something). There was a rule that you can't leave the stage. You're not imagining it.

Katya not even making it to the top three was a complete shocker. I thought she was a LOCK to win. She's the only queen I was rooting for.

• Love 3

Kennedy's LSFYL was terrible. Look, you are allowed ONE death drop. That's it. Doing two gets you demerits in my book. But aside from that, what the hell? At one point she was in the splits and head banging. To a Katy Perry song. I mean, come the fuck on.

• Love 6

Honestly...if I had to judge this challenge, especially the second part, I would have simply thrown up my hands, started laughing, and said, "Not today, Satan." Or I would have gone and smoked a big ol' blunt and come back, to be in an appropriate mind-frame to judge this challenge. There are rare times where I think Michelle is the sane one on the panel. This last episode was one of them. 

Rewatch panel and just focus on Michelle - she seems flat pissed off a lot of the time, and very un-amused the rest of it. I don't know if she doesn't like Rebecca Romaine Mystique what's-her-name or if it was an off day or what. 

• Love 1

Rewatch panel and just focus on Michelle - she seems flat pissed off a lot of the time, and very un-amused the rest of it.

I think she's under orders to be the bad cop this season, but that aside, I also think that if Michelle were picking the winners and losers this season it would have all panned out very differently. It started in episode one, where she was visibly ticked with Violet's win. And this week she was totally right about Pearl's second look. It was lazy as hell. I would have put her in the bottom with Kennedy this week.

• Love 3
(edited)
Ginger's whole schtick about not being able to sew is super annoying since she's been nominated/won awards for what? Best Costume Design.

THIS. I just realized last night after seeing Ginger moan, wail and practically shake her fists at the Gods about how she couldn't sew, and she couldn't do design challenges, and yadadayada, then she comes out looking not only perfectly fine, but great.  That made me think she has done this EVERY TIME.  Ok a Queen needs her drama, but this is dumb.  Stop it already and move onto a new schtick, Ginger.

Violet I just love and now I'd like her to win.  She seems game for everything.  I did not like her HK couture though, I was disapointed after the big buildup.

I am not even going to go there about Katya.  I think her LSFYL was understated, she could have done more.  Kennedy was ridiculous, its like she had a LSFYL Bucket List of Hot Moves she was mentally checking off. But that was the stupidest song to LSFYL for anyway.  It should have been some cutsey Hairjuku type song (Gwen Stefani?)

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 1

I think she's under orders to be the bad cop this season, but that aside, I also think that if Michelle were picking the winners and losers this season it would have all panned out very differently. It started in episode one, where she was visibly ticked with Violet's win. And this week she was totally right about Pearl's second look. It was lazy as hell. I would have put her in the bottom with Kennedy this week.

There have been a number of episodes where Michelle has seemed pissed this season, notably this one and the Ru-Hollywood Stories. Perhaps it's the return of former permanent judging panel members that ticks her off so heartily? ;) I agree that if Michelle, and not WoW producers, were picking the winners and bottom two, we'd probably have had a very different season. Pearl and Miss Fame would have been axed a lot sooner, Mrs. Kasha Davis would have come back in place of Trixie, Jaidynn would probably not have lip-sync'ed as much, and Kennedy might have been in the bottom another time (for Ru-Hollywood Stories). On another note, this episode reminded me of how crack-tastic Santino's judging can be.

Thinking back on the lip sync, I can't say Kennedy was great - she was checking off marks on a lip-sync checklist (e.g. getting in her death drop quotient) - but it pains me to say that she was still at least a little better than Katya, since Katya is by far my favorite queen this season, and one of the few I've really personally connected with in the course of the series. She's made me feel far less alone in a lonely semester of graduate school, dealing with low self-worth. It is truly ridiculous that she didn't make top three, considering the consistency of her performance between episodes 3 and 10. As someone upthread said, it's like claiming Justin Timberlake was the fifth most talented member of N*SYNC. I think it was written in stone that Katya would not crack the top three or four from way back. Ruduction's hand guides elimination to go in their desired order subtly, by eliminating certain queens a few episodes ahead of time, keeping the remaining challenges in mind. I think keeping Fame from lip-sync'ing for so long served the producers' purposes in this sense, at the same time as it reflected their desire to keep a YouTube celebrity in the mix. I'm sure they knew that a potted plant could win a lip-sync against Miss Fame, and there's no way to redeem her peformance through editing. In my mind, the cracked-out elimination order for the last half of the season was determined by having Jaidynn, not Miss Fame, lip-sync against Max in Snatch game, even though Jaidynn had a superior performance and runway to Fame. Jaidynn sent Max home, allowing Miss Fame to continue. Trixie would probably still have come back in Conjoined Queens,  but without Fame - the one inferior lip-sync artist to her - Pearl would have doubtless gone home to Violet in Divine Inspiration. Trixie and Max would have still probably gone next, and we would have ended up with a F4 of Kennedy, Violet, Ginger, and Katya (the deserving one, IMO). All because of that pesky Miss Fame being kept around to save Pearl.

• Love 1

Ginger's whole schtick about not being able to sew is super annoying since she's been nominated/won awards for what? Best Costume Design.

To follow up on this...if you look at the StageClick profile for Joshua Eads-Brown (Ginger) she's been nominated for and won awards for costume design AND choreography. Either Ginger is the rare choreographer who can't dance or the rare costume designer who can't sew, or I smell something fishy and it isn't Gia Gunn. I already suspected something was a bit suspect about her supposed inability to do choreographed dance, since she played Lumiere in Beauty and the Beast on Broadway about ten years ago. But I attributed that to discomfort with her current body shape, since she said she was a twink back then. But now I think that her supposed inability to sew and dance could have been foisted on her by producers to avoid presenting her as the obvious front-runner or her win as a coronation, since they got flak for doing so with Bianca last season. If so, Ginger is a very good actress indeed.

• Love 5
But now I think that her supposed inability to sew and dance could have been foisted on her by producers to avoid presenting her as the obvious front-runner or her win as a coronation, since they got flak for doing so with Bianca last season. If so, Ginger is a very good actress indeed.

There is definatly something rotten in the Alamo with this Ging can't sew bit.  Last season Bianca came across as near perfect even though her outfits on the runway where mediocre at best (and I luv queen B).  If she did have insecurities (which I'm sure she did) it simply wasn't shown.  So I guess the producers needed to give Ginger some sort of weakness so it wouldn't be so obvious who the winner will be like last season. 

On other websites Ging is universally disliked while Pearl is the fan favorite so everyone is thinking that Pearl is gonna win (dear God NO) because of Ru playing to audience and not repeating a Tyra mistake.  I personally Ginger is my favorite of the ones remaining and I would LUV to see her win this season--and not just b/c she's plus size but out of everyone she has the most talent IMO.