Type keyword(s) to search

S21: Before The Episode

• Start Topic

Not even Anna's return can hype me up for this cast. Literally what the fuck, ABC. 

I didn't even realize that the cast had been announced. Did ABC do that at 2 AM out of sheer embarrassment?  Having just seen the list of "stars", WTF doesn't begin to cover it.  Who in the hell are most of these people? The ones that are known like Gary Busey, a complete psychotic or Paula Deen whose sense of color is just a tad off are going to add exactly what to this show?  Maybe next season they can get an NFL undrafted player who was cut in training camp or someone who starred in his or her's high school production of Cats.  Well it looks like the SYTYCD finale is on at the same time as the DWTS opener but I think I'll give my DVR a rest and just watch the real dancers on Fox.

Edited by cali1981
  • Love 2

I have zero knowledge of how Hayes presents himself on his various social media platforms....but if he comes off like a nice, young southern gentleman on DWTS he could last a few weeks. He could be like a "surrogate son" for the extensive Mom voting bloc.

I'll say it goes Kim Z, Chaka (sorry Keo, you still don't make week 3 yet), Victor, Hayes, Gary, Carlos (he could be the even earlier shock boot relative to his actual dance level), Paula, Alek (absolutely no clue where he falls in the order other than to say I don't think he'll go out first), Tamar, Andy, Bindi, Nick (I think the show would really like Sharna to make the final and maybe win it all for the first time), and Mark wins the Mirrorball again w/ Alexa.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15

I think it's time they give up on any pretense of casting stars. Most of these people don't qualify, in my mind. I think the same format but with regular people would work just as well. Look at shows like American Idol, the Amazing Race. People pick their favorites based on personality and skill. They seem to be open to it with the casting of people like Noah and this new train hero. Just go all out.

I can't say I'm excited about any of these "stars." Bindi is probably the one I'm most looking forward to but I'm not a big Derek fan. So many of them are sleazy reality "stars." Despite my affection for Dancing With the Stars, I loath reality TV. On the plus side, at least there's no clear front runner. It really is wide open right now.

I really hate this cast on paper.

Why do people think Tamar is destined to be finals bound?  Even if she can move, she is also very loud and has a very big personality.  I don't mind her, but I'm not sure that is exactly going to go over well with middle America.

Dancing ability plus being paired with Val. Big personalities have made it into the finals before, but then again, I draw a line between "big" and "polarizing." Just because she has a supposedly big personality doesn't mean she'll polarize the viewers.

I think Chaka and Keo will be first out. Keo doesn't have a strong fanbase like Louis. I get the impression that Chaka will be more Wendy Williams then Patti LaBelle.

Paula will survive first blow, but probably not the second unless she really takes this seriously. She got some of her career back after the racist stuff, so I can't imagine she's looking for a huge boost out of this.

Alex and Lindsey could go far or be out by the third elimination. Maybe even flipped with Paula depending on her attitude. If he can survive to the most memorable year, he might be okay for a few more eliminations like Noah.

Kim Z/Hayes/Victor will make a mish mash of week 5-7 unless Gary does something to piss off the producers or injures himself. With Anna back I see him staying until the end of the losers, which would be around week 8.

Carlos goes next in a "bottom two" with Alexa (I totally agree with that). Then Andy, but he and Carlos could flip. Tamar and Alexa battle it out for the last spot in finals.

Nick and Bindi are final two. I'll have to wait until the dancing starts to determine winner.

Ah, now I remember where I saw Tamar Braxton. She was on Celebrity Family Feud, and yes, she does have a big personality. She was pretty funny, so I think she will last a few weeks. I do agree with Nick and Bindi being the final two. 

I really have to wonder if the back third of the cast was renegotiated after Peta's injury. Gary Busey seems like a perpetual backup celeb, Alex Skarlatos only got famous within the last few weeks, and Tamar Braxton was at VMAs and dropped no hints whatsoever which is unlike her. Then there's the exclusion of Artem and the fact that we knew Peta was Andy's original partner and not Allison.

I suspect after Peta had to pull out, there was some reshuffling of the partnerships. I wonder who was the last holdout who was rumored not to have signed yet as of yesterday morning.

Uke won the typing race....well played.

LOL! I wasn't racing, I swear! I sat through the commercials truly thinking Kimmel was going to say he was joking and tell us the real DWTS contestant.  I just happened to be watching at my desk and had this site open reading the threads.

• Love 1

Dancing ability plus being paired with Val. Big personalities have made it into the finals before, but then again, I draw a line between "big" and "polarizing." Just because she has a supposedly big personality doesn't mean she'll polarize the viewers.

I agree big personality doesn't equal polarizing, but I don't think her brand of humor is going to go over with certain segments of the audience.   To me, it reminds me of a Leah Remini.  Some adore her for her outspoken nature and dry wit.  Other people just find her obnoxious.  Or I guess Kirstie Alley, which proves your point since Kirstie did sneak into the finals.  Plus does Tamar actually have dance training or does she just do some choreography on stage?  I assume she will be coordinated and have rhythm,  and I've seen a few vids of her dancing on stage, but I don't think she is really that far ahead of the pack.  I don't think there is anyone in this group with extensive dance training.  Also I'm willing to bet we will get some fireworks from Tamar/Val.  They might like each other, but Val is fairly used to having partners that can calm his ass down and placate him when necessary.  I don't think Tamar is likely to do that.  They also can't really push the this is Val's season crap anymore.  

But all in all I agree there is no obvious win here.  A lot of people are betting on Nick, but I've always thought he was somewhat of a trainwreck on the personal end, so I'm not sure I believe that either.   I think Bindi has the potential to go far based on personality and Derek, but she really has zero dance experience.  Alexa honestly looked the best in the few nae nae vids I saw.  Andy is supposedly nice and he's actually fairly relevant, but I have no clue if he can move.

Edited by spanana

Last season I called that Val would win cuz of being "overdue" before the season started. Though I did think Derek would be the finals with him, so that was less correct.

There's no one here with an obvious 'narrative.' The cast is so full of nobodies besides like elderly Chaka...but I guess I'll predict Derek for the finals to be safe (though I don't know that girl) and Nick cuz he was in a big boy band?

Oh wait, I didn't know the female half of that married couple was from Spy Kids. I guess I know her too then. She could make sense for the finals esp as Mark hasn't won for 13 seasons despite being in the T3 5 times since then...

Edited by jjjmoss

I suspect after Peta had to pull out, there was some reshuffling of the partnerships. I wonder who was the last holdout who was rumored not to have signed yet as of yesterday morning.

Possibly Alek since Lindsay didn't meet him until yesterday? The initial rumor was that there was going to be 7 male pros and 6 female pros, and it ended up 7 female, 5 male.

I get the impression that Chaka will be more Wendy Williams then Patti LaBelle.

What an odd comparison. What do Wendy Williams and Patti Labelle have in common? Patti is a singer with a career that spans decades. Wendy is a talk show host. They are different ages.

I agree Bindi is finals bound, no matter if she's the second coming of Shawn Johnson as many are predicting, or if she has the rhythm and musicality of Aly Raisman. Derek will ensure she makes it to the freestyle round. I'm not so sure about Nick. From all accounts he has many of the same issues as Aaron Carter, who came across as too needy and desperate to be liked, despite being a good dancer. I don't imagine he'll leave early, but depending on how things shake out I wouldn't be surprised either if he misses the finals.

I'm not so sure about Nick. From all accounts he has many of the same issues as Aaron Carter, who came across as too needy and desperate to be liked, despite being a good dancer.

Have you ever seen the movie Multiplicity? Well, Nick is the original, and Aaron is like copy #4. 

• Love 3

What an odd comparison. What do Wendy Williams and Patti Labelle have in common? Patti is a singer with a career that spans decades. Wendy is a talk show host. They are different ages.

Meant it more from an attitude aspect. Wendy Williams hated the show and her time on it and the work she had to put in. Patti loved it. I got the feeling Chaka is going to think this is hard and have a bad attitude versus Patti's party attitude.

I have zero knowledge of how Hayes presents himself on his various social media platforms....but if he comes off like a nice, young southern gentleman on DWTS he could last a few weeks. He could be like a "surrogate son" for the extensive Mom voting bloc.

I was feeling like I was being a bit harsh about the casting of Hayes so I went looking for his vines, his little 8-second videos. What I found was him and a friend climbing a tree, him and his friends horsing around in a driveway, kicking a ball around, etc., just kid stuff. Nothing interesting or thoughtful. It wasn't even nonsense that you could have a laugh. I only watched maybe a half dozen of his recent ones. I guess pre-teens think he's cute? Maybe? But then I'd ask, what are pre-teen girls doing with smart phones? Oh. I don't know. Still befuddled I guess.  Given that his fanbase is probably less internet-involved than Bethany's, I question where his votes will come from. I guess the little girls will use those smart phones to vote?  Bethany's fans became quite annoyed that she was spending so much time dancing and had to temporarily stop making videos for them. But Bethany's videos took some work to prepare, film, edit, etc. Hayes is just vining anything with no apparent pre-planning. I'm over-analyzing I guess.

Possibly Alek since Lindsay didn't meet him until yesterday? The initial rumor was that there was going to be 7 male pros and 6 female pros, and it ended up 7 female, 5 male.

Ahhh yes, good point. Plus I think he just very recently returned from his European trip. I think he said he'd agreed to just 1 interview and then he was done with the media. He sure did change his mind.

New drinking game:  Take a shot every time Bindi Irwin says "crocodile".  She managed to cram in at least three within as many sentences on GMA this morning, at which point I just tuned her out.  I didn't have anything against her, but she certainly likes to hear herself talk.  Paired with Derek, they might end up being Team Insufferable.

Like others, sad Artem isn't on but happy he didn't get saddled with Paula.

Tamar Braxton annoys the hell out of me with all of the head jerks and hair toss hands schtick she does, but she was surprisingly low key.  Maybe it was just being contrasted with motormouths Bindi and Paula and sour faced Chaka Khan with her fan waving ennui and black net thigh-highs.

Aren't 15 year old boys basically 24/7 walking boners under the best of circumstances, never mind being in close contact with scantily clad adult females.  Poor Emma...

Edited by Sile

Aren't 15 year old boys basically 24/7 walking boners under the best of circumstances, never mind being in close contact with scantily clad adult females.  Poor Emma...

I'd bet Emma will keep her costumes fairly conservative when dancing with him,  but I can just imagine his face the first time he gets a look at (has to stand next to) the troupe gals LOL!

Unfortunately I think Paula Deen will be in the finals. The same people who voted for Bristol Palin will vote for her.

I could be wrong, but I don't think so.  I can't see where BP and PD have similar audiences.  Paula might get votes from folks who enjoyed her on Food Network but apart from that, she's going to be tarred with the racist brush.  I didn't like her on the Food Network and I don't like her now.  Listening to her long drawn-out, "Hey, y'alllllllll..." drives me nuts.  Bristol came from the political realm and got lots of votes because people hated the way her mother had been treated - maybe thought they were evening the score a bit.  Will Paula draw the southern vote?  Depends.  Personally, I think most southerners will be embarrassed by her.  We'll see.  Beats me why she agreed to do the show in the first place.

Yes, legaleagle53, I try to catch glimpses of Tristan on Strictly whenever I can.  Who's he partnered with this time?  DWTS blew it when they got rid of Tristan.  I'll believe till I die that it was Derek's doing.

• Love 1

I wish I knew what the fuss is about Tristan. He's a good dancer, and seems like a sweet guy, but I don't think the show blew anything by not keeping him around. There have been lots of pros come and go over the season, I don't know what makes Tristan more special than them.

Edited by WhitneyWhit
  • Love 1

I think Paula might last longer than some people think.  Yes, she's painted with the racist brush but I've seen several people online say they are rooting for her.  However I'd be surprised if she makes the finals.  She also allegedly got boo'd by some of the crowd at GMA according to people that were there.  I think it will help that scandal aside, if today is any indication, she will also come off annoying as hell.  Even her voice is annoying.  I'm not even sure what she was going on about today, but I cringed the whole time.

Though to be fair I cringed through the whole awkward lackluster announcement.  I miss when DWTS used to be lots of cheesy glitzy fun.  This whole announcement was so half assed and poorly done.  I used to love when the couples would afterwards do the press line and you could start to size up their relationships.  DWTS didn't even bother to bring most of the pros to the announcement.  Even Rumer was so low energy and nervous looking when she came out.  The whole thing was just weird.

The only good thing to me is Karina and Anna being back, though I'm pretty sure Anna was brought back solely to deal with Gary's crazy.

Edited by spanana

Just for fun, and with little knowledge of everyone, here's my preseason prediction elimination order:

13. Out first: Hayes (Sorry Emma. Doesn't seem like he can move, and I don't think his fans will vote.)

12. Victor

11. Kim Z

10. Chaka Kahn

9. Paula Deen

8. Gary Buesey (Either Paula or Gary or both are going to hang on annoyingly long. Maybe even longer than this.)

7. Tamar (Never heard of her, so this is a wild guess? Maybe I am alone in being surprised that Toni had siblings.)

6. Alek (based on Noah's finish last year, patriotism gets you a long way.)

5. Carlos Penavega (He'll be up against Alexa in the "Not necessarily the bottom two")

4. Andy Grammar (May switch him with Carlos, depending on how he moves)

3. Bindi Irwin

2. Alexa Penavega (Has had the best nae nae video of the celebs so far - seems willing to have fun and has got some moves, I think she'll win people over.)

1. Nick Carter

Tamar Braxton (I think all the Braxton sisters, actually) is a singer, like her better-known sister Toni (who did DWTS in a previous season, but had to drop out due to health issues). All the Braxton sisters--there're at least 4 of them--star in the reality series Braxton Family Values, which airs on the WE cable channel on Thursday nights (but this season's finale is either airing tomorrow night or in the very near future).

Also, I'm not trying to defend Gary but after he was on Celebrity Apprentice, he was found to have a fairly bad hearing loss--which really didn't help the way he came off at the time.

I follow Marlee Matlin on Twitter; she was on CA with him, if I remember right, & she Re-Tweeted something from him that sounded like he was thanking her for helping him get assistance with his hearing issues.

Edited by BW Manilowe

Clarifying question: why are so many of us predicting that Bindi will make it far into the competition? 

I think mostly based on personality and backstory, but she really has zero dance experience.  Plus of course being paired with Derek who I don't think has finished lower than 4th place in I don't know how long.

I wish I knew what the fuss is about Tristan. He's a good dancer, and seems like a sweet guy, but I don't think the show blew anything by not keeping him around. There have been lots of pros come and go over the season, I don't know what makes Tristan more special than them.

For me, he started out as eye candy (mostly I had a crush on him with the tattoos and the accent) and then when we got to know his personality, I really grew to love him. He's down-to-earth and humble. I'm not sure any other pro that season would've made me tolerate Nancy Grace the way he did. I personally love watching him dance. His and Peta's rumba is still one of my favorite pro dances.

Sometimes you just become a fan of someone and want to see them on your TV. *shrug*  It doesn't mean he's more talented than the others. We just like the guy and miss him over here.

• Love 6
I wish I knew what the fuss is about Tristan.

You and me both. 

why are so many of us predicting that Bindi will make it far into the competition?

Because she's paired with Derek so she's automatically a ringer. 

Sometimes you just become a fan of someone and want to see them on your TV. *shrug*  It doesn't mean he's more talented than the others. We just like the guy and miss him over here.

I actually get this because one of my friends who has watched this show from the beginning like me, loved Tristan. And she'd tell me flat out it is because she thought he was hot and he seemed like such a great guy but she always said she didn't think he was the best dancer by any means. 

I think the "I don't get it" attitude comes from the conspiracy theories that some nefarious actions had to be behind his no longer being on the show because he was just that special and popular and such a threat to others that they had to get rid of him. 

Edited by radishcake
  • Love 1

Bindi will go far because being paired with Derek ensures a dedicated voting fanbase and overscoring from the judges, along with a blind eye to any technique issues.

Call me cynical but I doubt  that Paula's controversies will work against her on this show. If anything, it will likely inspire more votes for her in order to prove a point or to support this  transparent attempt at image rehabilitation.

Edited by tearbender
  • Love 2

Yes, legaleagle53, I try to catch glimpses of Tristan on Strictly whenever I can.  Who's he partnered with this time?  DWTS blew it when they got rid of Tristan.  I'll believe till I die that it was Derek's doing.

Responding in Tristan's thread (as soon as I find it!).

I think the "I don't get it" attitude comes from the conspiracy theories that some nefarious actions had to be behind his no longer being on the show because he was just that special and popular and such a threat to others that they had to get rid of him.

There were suspicions because Derek wasn't coming back then at the last minute he was and people assumed Tristan got bumped as a result. That's about the extent of any conspiracy theories I've seen. I do think he was popular, though. Not Derek or Val level, but I think more people would like to see him than Tony or Louis, or at least it seems that way when people talk about their pro wish lists on other sites. It worked out better for him because he's happier on SCD. Perhaps Artem should have stayed there. He seems to have quite the fan base from that show.

• Love 1

Clarifying question: why are so many of us predicting that Bindi will make it far into the competition?

For me, gut feeling. She comes off like a Sadie or a Bethany (with about as much dance experience) and they made it to 2nd and 4th. Derek has a sizable fan base himself, and I've seen him do well with young contestants (Bethany/Shawn). (He also doesn't seem to be splitting his time so much this season.) She has a nostalgia factor via her dad, (heartbreak/sympathy factor as well) and is one of the few young, fresh faced ones this season, who tend to make it far. There's so much what the fuck in the cast to eliminate first that I'm shocked if she goes out earlier than 5th.

But really, I just wanted to lock in a prediction and have it on record, so I can go back and be smug if I'm right (and laugh at myself if I'm wrong. There was some wrestler or something who was with Karina a few seasons ago who I had in my top 4 after the first episode, and he bombed out after two more.)

It was rumored to be 7 male pros and 6 female pros, and it ended up 7 female, 5 male.

Actually, I think the extra 13th pro being female or male was up in the air.

Also, we ended up with 7 female pros and 6 male pros (Derek, Mark, Val, Tony, Keo, and Louis).

Tamar Braxton annoys the hell out of me with all of the head jerks and hair toss hands schtick she does, but she was surprisingly low key.  Maybe it was just being contrasted with motormouths Bindi and Paula and sour faced Chaka Khan with her fan waving ennui and black net thigh-highs.

One thing I like about her is her professionalism. She's a perfectionist when it comes to performing and has a dynamic personality so I've seen her adjust her demeanor for the show she's on, e.g., When she was on Anderson Cooper's now defunct show and past GMA appearances. I hope she doesn't tone it down TOO much though because that would negate what makes her interesting.

Edited by anonymiss

I really hope Kim Z goes first. Can't stand her.

But I'm curious about Paula. I've watched her since her early "toned down" days on FN all the way through to her tacky late night show, "Paula After Dark" (or whatever it was really called. It had a double bed on stage that she would cuddle her guests in and many times she'd throw food at her well dressed audience, while cackling with sexual innuendos to any nearby male, attractive or otherwise).

She can be tacky. She can be charming. She can seem very open and vulnerable (my guess at her approach to this show). And she swears that for years while her kids were growing up she suffered from such severe agoraphobia that she wouldn't leave the house. I thought she was pretty media- and public- savvy until that racial stuff came out (and then again with Bobby in black/brown face as Desi Arnaz). She's so unpredictable that I could see her being obnoxious and OTT and untalented that she goes in Week 2 or having a great Patti LaBelle vibe (but louder) that people find endearing and she stays until the middle of the pack. Hard to say with her.

Busey shouldn't even be there. They must have seen him on the Apprentice. Seriously, he has brain damage, physical limitations and is really really strange. Is they someone they hate and wanted to make his partner? I don't get that choice at all.

Actually, I think the extra 13th pro being female or male was up in the air.

Also, we ended up with 7 female pros and 6 male pros (Derek, Mark, Val, Tony, Keo, and Louis).

Oops, I had completely blocked out that Louis is back.

I'd bet Emma will keep her costumes fairly conservative when dancing with him,  but I can just imagine his face the first time he gets a look at (has to stand next to) the troupe gals LOL!

Maybe I'm in the minority but I just think it's icky when these teenage boys and girls dance with 30 year olds. I have a son his age and I sure wouldn't want him dancing with a 30 year old woman, no matter how nice she was. Do they have no teenage ballroom dancers they could use for the show? Or at least dancers who were 18 or 19 years old?

• Love 1

I'm not sure what move you mean but Bethany was 17-the same age as Bindi. So Derek has experience with an underage contestant. He also did the switch week with Sadi.

And does pairing Derek with a child mean he'll have to come up with a new dance move to replace "tear off own shirt for no apparent reason"?

I'm not sure what move you mean but Bethany was 17-the same age as Bindi. So Derek has experience with an underage contestant. He also did the switch week with Sadi.

I think Bethany was 18, almost 19. He did have Sadie for a week, but I think this is the first time he's had an underage contestant all season. 

• Love 1

Bethany was actually 18 and she had a birthday during the season. So she was 19 by the end of the season. Derek actually often had partners who were older than him. When he first started on the show, he was in his early 20's and most of his celebrities were a good decade older than him. Bethany and Shawn were the youngest he ever had - well before Bindi this season. 

• Love 1

I'm glad that Karina, Anna and Louis are back, but its not enough to get me to watch.  I don't really care for any of these celebrities.  I'm not even tempted to watch the performances on youtube.

• Love 2

I was almost thinking he could be a surprise 13th pro like Sharna was a couple seasons ago but that was still done before the full cast announcement, right? I think someone had to drop out or switch. I think the guesses that it was Val's original partner make the most sense because they wouldn't dump him for Artem. I also don't see them dumping him just to bring Louis back so I think Louis was already a done deal. I would think if Artem had to drop out for some reason, he would have made a statement by now.

I'm not sure why I'm thinking so much about this because nothing they've done seems to make any sense so far this season.

I'm also more and more convinced Tony has serious dirt on someone to keep coming back, or else he just has one hell of a contract.

I'm also more and more convinced Tony has serious dirt on someone to keep coming back, or else he just has one hell of a contract.

He just signed a 3 year extension either right before or right after last season.

He just signed a 3 year extension either right before or right after last season.

Good lord. I like Tony, but I don't think he brings enough to the show to justify another 6 seasons on the show.

• Love 2

My understanding on Tony from Kristyn Burtt and other people with supposed inside info is that he very well connected with the producers.  I think it goes back to that he had a lot to do with the original development of the US version way back when.  But it basically amounts to Tony will have a spot as long as he wants one.  My other understanding is that he is really angling to be a judge so if that ever happens then of course he will hang up his dancing shoes.

I hate that they are making everyone do those nae nae vids.  How they expect the celebs to look decent doing it when most of the pros look ridiculous doing it I don't know.  Peta, Artem and Jenna I'm looking at you.  But of the celeb ones I've seen Alexa, Carlos and Tamar actually look the best.  I won't say any of them are exactly killing it, but they look like they have rhthym and can move.  Nick and Andy look okay and their pros probably have something to work with.  Though of course not all the celebs have done it yet either.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 1

Busey shouldn't even be there. They must have seen him on the Apprentice. Seriously, he has brain damage, physical limitations and is really really strange. Is they someone they hate and wanted to make his partner? I don't get that choice at all.

I'm fairly mature (aka OLD) and remember back when Gary Busey wasn't quite as strange and did a bang up job as Buddy Holly in The Buddy Holly Story. He has some musical talent or at least some musical feeling. Who knows if he can pull that back out again. Of course who among us thought that Tommy Chong would end up to do so well? 

• Love 2

Tony serves a purpose.  They need somebody for the older or crazy people.  If Paula didn't ask for Louis, he might have gotten stuck with her.  It's sad that the patient ones like Tony, Tristan, and Emma don't get contenders because they have babysitting duty.  I think that's why Anna has Gary Busey.  She is usually very strict but I think she'll be different with Gary.  Sharna and Emma already had celebrities.  Lindsay is too young to have to deal with him. 

• Love 1

Ditto for Kym.  I think she dodged a bullet this time, because you just know she would have been stuck with Gary otherwise (unless Gary specifically requested Anna the way Paula requested Louis).

My guess is that Busey has no idea who the pros are, so couldn't possibly have made a partner request.  I also guess that Busey may not have any idea what show he signed up for, or on what planet.  His agent probably told him it was DWTS and Busey thought that meant Drinking With The Spaniards.  This is so disappointing.

• Love 4

My Monday nights have been freed up.  Last season I had to PVR stuff and watch most of this live due to all the shows I was watching.  Having watched the "reveal" on GMA I'm actually pleased to know I won't have that issue this season.  Not impressed with this line-up at all.  I also noticed that Val said something along the lines of "now that I got the trophy I can get back to having fun and focusing on my partner" paraphrasing of course.  A little competitive are we?   Wonder who the chosen one will be this year?