Type keyword(s) to search

S21: Before The Episode

• Start Topic

My guess is that Busey has no idea who the pros are, so couldn't possibly have made a partner request.  I also guess that Busey may not have any idea what show he signed up for, or on what planet.  His agent probably told him it was DWTS and Busey thought that meant Drinking With The Spaniards.  This is so disappointing.

Rolling and rolling and rolling all over the damn house!

• Love 1

Yep, sounds like it. From his IG:

Due to last minute casting changes, I will not be competing with a celeb this season. But don't worry, I will still be dancing with the pros in the ballroom.

Sucks for him but at least I'll still get to see him dance and take his shirt off support the others.

Edited by radishcake
  • Love 3

Clarifying question: why are so many of us predicting that Bindi will make it far into the competition?

Aside from what everyone else said (she's got Derek as a partner, she seems smart and watchable, there's a nostalgia factor), based on the Nae Nae videos she's got the most views. People want to see her. (For the record, the next in line are Nick and Victor. Nick and Bindi have more than 100,000 views and Victor is almost there).

The Nae Nae videos might not be the best indicator because they didn't all go up at the same time, (yes, Bindi, Nick, and Victor all went up early, whereas someone like Tamar, Kim, Gary, and Paula just went up) but what I like about them is we get an early look at how comfortable the celebs are at moving their bodies. IMO ... this season is interesting because no one seems to have a great handle on dancing. Nick, Alexa, Carlos, Tamar, and Bindi all seem to have potential, but almost everyone else is almost painfully awkward. It'll be interesting to see how they grow into whatever we see on premiere night. It's an interesting baseline that we haven't gotten to see before.

Edited by McManda

I'm guessing we're not getting a second season of the rehearsal room cams? Any info about that has been conspicuously absent from the official site, official twitter, and PureDWTS so far...

I can't remember when the rehearsal live stream began last season. Wasn't it after the first show aired?  I can see where the producers might not want live streams just yet.  While some stars have been in rehearsals for a week, I think a few only just met before the GMA announcement and tptb may want the couples to settle in first. I did notice that the DWTSAllAccess twitter account sprung back to life on Wednesday after sitting dormant since May 20, so that's a good sign.  Both the pros and the stars seemed to like doing the live streaming so hopefully we'll get to watch once all the season startup dust settles.

Well thankfully we probably won't be subjected to any "showmances" this season. Everyone is either too old, too young, or married. I don't know if Tamar Braxton is married or not, but she said Val was cute "like a brother" so I doubt she wants to go there. LOL

Well thankfully we probably won't be subjected to any "showmances" this season. Everyone is either too old, too young, or married. I don't know if Tamar Braxton is married or not, but she said Val was cute "like a brother" so I doubt she wants to go there. LOL

Tamar is married; her husband's name's Vince. I think he's also in music, somehow, & they have at least 1 child. She either has, or had, a reality show with her husband--along with the show with her sisters & her Co-Hosting gig on The Real.

• Love 1

Where has she said this, have they done interviews together already?

Yep, sounds like it. From his IG:

Sucks for him but at least I'll still get to see him dance and take his shirt off support the others.

Read elsewhere that he would've been off completely, but they needed 3 guys and 2 girls in troupe to even up the pro dance partnering.

Tamar is married; her husband's name's Vince. I think he's also in music, somehow, & they have at least 1 child. She either has, or had, a reality show with her husband--along with the show with her sisters & her Co-Hosting gig on The Real.

Yes, he's involved in music as he's her manager (and also manages Lady Gaga's career).

Gary Busey was once a talented actor.  After an accident where he suffered significant brain damage, he communicates in very odd ways, has VERY poor personal boundaries, and is erratic, obnoxious, loud, and demeans others.  Based on seeing him on Celeb Apprentice -  he was on TWICE, I think -  he will cross the line every chance he gets.  He will not take direction, might be sexually inappropriate, and will make crass remarks.  He will talk too much, think he's being brilliant and profound when everyone else hears delusional meanderings.

For a glimpse of him on Apprentice:   (and this was his less-crazy season: )http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=gary+busey&FORM=HDRSC3#view=detail&mid=888F772725A58E61AD52888F772725A58E61AD52

He should NOT be on DWTS.  He has a serious disability which is being exploited for entertainment purposes.

Edited by backformore
  • Love 12

Gary Busey was once a talented actor.  After an accident where he suffered significant brain damage, he communicates in very odd ways, has VERY poor personal boundaries, and is erratic, obnoxious, loud, and demeans others.  Based on seeing him on Celeb Apprentice -  he was on TWICE, I think -  he will cross the line every chance he gets.  He will not take direction, might be sexually inappropriate, and will make crass remarks.  He will talk too much, think he's being brilliant and profound when everyone else hears delusional meanderings.

For a glimpse of him on Apprentice:   (and this was his less-crazy season: )http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=gary+busey&FORM=HDRSC3#view=detail&mid=888F772725A58E61AD52888F772725A58E61AD52

He should NOT be on DWTS.  He has a serious disability which is being exploited for entertainment purposes.

He was even worse on Celebrity Big Brother in the UK last year --  yet he somehow managed to win (the only American to do so, incidentally), because the British viewing public felt that he was being bullied for behavior that they didn't believe was his fault because of the brain damage. It wasn't until after he had won that they wised up and realized that he never should have been cast in the first place.  We here in the US tried to warn them, but... .

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 1

I noticed on the DWTS Facebook page someone mentioned yesterday that out of all the celebrity Nae Nae videos Bindi has by far the most views.  I decided to look at the official YouTube page where all the videos are posted just to see how the other stack up and how high her views are. HOLY CRAP! Now keep in mind some were posted a week ago, some 4 days ago and some 2 days ago but even taken the time difference into account..Bindi's clip has 385,000 views, almost triple the views even the others posted the same day have. The only other video that comes close is Derek Hough's. Those also posted the same day as Bindi's

Nick Carter- 134,940 views

Hayes Grier - 114,330

Victor Espinoza - 99,060

Alexa & Carlos PenaVega - 96,150

Alexa PenaVega - 91,046

Chaka Kahn - 65,440

Carlos PenaVega - 62,493

Posted 4 days ago

Tamar Braxton - 126,086

Paula Deen - 73,847

Andy Grammer - 49,715

Kim Zolciak - 42,641

Posted 2 days ago

Gary Busey - 29,238

Well we are one week out from the season opener.  I am looking forward to Paula and Louis, and Mark and Alexa.

I do wonder how this is going to be without Len though.  With him gone, there is no one I see as a qualified judge.  The three remaining ones will run crazy without him there to be the voice of reason.

Is there no Len replacement? That makes me sad. There's no one that they are necessarily going to "work hard" for, ya know? You had to work to get the "10 from Len."

I have not seen any news about anyone else being added to the panel.  I wonder they will  bring in any Guest Judges to change things up?

The rumor is that they are going to bring in guest judges some weeks.  Also based on the one article I read it sounded like Rob Wade was still trying to convince Len to at least make an appearance in some capacity this season.  So I wouldn't be surprised if we got Len judging for like one week down the homestretch or something.  I also think they are trying to keep the door open for Len to return next season if he wants to return.

I noticed on the DWTS Facebook page someone mentioned yesterday that out of all the celebrity Nae Nae videos Bindi has by far the most views. I decided to look at the official YouTube page where all the videos are posted just to see how the other stack up and how high her views are. HOLY CRAP! Now keep in mind some were posted a week ago, some 4 days ago and some 2 days ago but even taken the time difference into account..Bindi's clip has 385,000 views, almost triple the views even the others posted the same day have.

I'm guessing her higher viewership count has to do with Derek's devoted following. how do you think Taylor Swift, etc. get those crazy numbers on their youtube videos? Looping the videos. The fans have it down pat.

Although I'm sure plenty of people want to watch Bindi. She'd still probably have a higher view count than the rest of them.

I thought Michael Wentink was going to be the 4th judge.  He's certainly qualified to judge ballroom/latin. His message on Shirley's facebook and his tweets certainly sound like he'll be involved with DWTS this season.

Michael Wentink is definitely a guest judge. He acknowledged it in a direct Tweet to me. They haven't said if there are a few who will guest several times during the season, or if there will be a different guest each week. If it's the former, I'm wondering if this season might not be an ongoing job interview.

Another person who has been mentioned as a possible guest judge is Jean-Marc Genereux, a judge on DWTSFrance. I have no information as to whether he is just a rumor or if he will, in fact, be a guest. Both he and Michael have qualifications similar to Len's (passed courses/exams and are certified) so might have the gravitas to make their 10s something to work hard for.

I agree that the panel needs a highly respected voice whose critiques are based on rules and insight rather than emotion.

• Love 1

I'm not sure what that means. :/

The big opening numbers with all the pros at the beginning of shows whereas Artem won't be in troupe doing the little bumper dances coming back from commercial break and whatnot.

7 lady pros + 3 troupe = 10

6 guy pros + 2 troupe + Artem = 9

They're still one guy short.

7 lady pros

6 guy pros + Artem = 7 guys

They only need an equal number of gals/guys for the big opening numbers pairings.

I doubt it matters for the bumpers whether they've got an equal number of guys + gals.

Kind of interesting Artem isn't in the troupe. I wonder if it was his choice or the producers' choice.

Edited by Uke

So ... if you're part of the troupe you're just background dancers for bumpers and almost-freesetyle week dances as needed by a pro with a celeb partner?

That seems ... odd. I assumed that someone in the troupe just filled the spot of "extra dancer", whether that be in a weekly dance with a celeb, a bumper, or a pro dance.

I mean, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing less of the the troupe in general. Honestly, they're mostly forgettable, especially all the girls that blend into a see of blonde. Sasha and Artem are the only ones I'd be interested in seeing, and that's only because I liked them as pros.

So ... if you're part of the troupe you're just background dancers for bumpers and almost-freesetyle week dances as needed by a pro with a celeb partner?

That seems ... odd. I assumed that someone in the troupe just filled the spot of "extra dancer", whether that be in a weekly dance with a celeb, a bumper, or a pro dance.

I mean, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing less of the the troupe in general. Honestly, they're mostly forgettable, especially all the girls that blend into a see of blonde. Sasha and Artem are the only ones I'd be interested in seeing, and that's only because I liked them as pros.

Sorry I didn't mean to mislead. I should have said:

I doubt it matters for the bumpers and all other duties of the troupe whether they've got an equal number of guys + gals.

Yes, they are used (too much IMO) as extra dancers in the stars' competition dances.  I also sometimes see them in pics/snapchats that the competing couples post from their rehearsals so I think they also help out in rehearsals.  The troupe members seem to pitch in where ever they are needed, in pro dances, including in dances with guest singers.

Edited by Uke

Good for Lindsay but I'm disappointed no Sasha. Bindi's really short so Sasha would have been perfect instead of Ever-Present. Oh well.

I think they've been grooming Julianne to be the supposed "tough judge." She likes to say she's "tough Julianne" whenever she's in the mood to grind an axe.

Edited by anonymiss

Michael Wentink is definitely a guest judge. He acknowledged it in a direct Tweet to me. They haven't said if there are a few who will guest several times during the season, or if there will be a different guest each week. If it's the former, I'm wondering if this season might not be an ongoing job interview.

Another person who has been mentioned as a possible guest judge is Jean-Marc Genereux, a judge on DWTSFrance. I have no information as to whether he is just a rumor or if he will, in fact, be a guest. Both he and Michael have qualifications similar to Len's (passed courses/exams and are certified) so might have the gravitas to make their 10s something to work hard for.

I agree that the panel needs a highly respected voice whose critiques are based on rules and insight rather than emotion.

Todd McKenney of the Australian DWTS has also said he'd be interested in appearing as a guest judge on our version, so Kym may be smuggling him back here in her luggage now that that version has ended for the season.  He'd certainly bring a wealth of experience to the show (his credentials are similar to Michael, Len, and Jean-Marc's), but like Len, he tends to shoot from the hip and take no prisoners in his comments and scoring, so  American viewers might find him a little hard to take.

Another DWTS judge whom I know (the Netherlands' Jan Postulart), has also told me that he'd love to be a guest judge, but I'm not sure whether his English would be up to the task as he always seems to be struggling with it whenever I see him try to use it, and I think he's really more comfortable in his native Dutch, although he won't admit it.

Edited by legaleagle53

Cast photos random thoughts........

Witney looks awesome....trimmer.

GREAT shot of Karina and Victor. Could Karina's shoes be any taller??? LOL.

Everyone is in dance wear and I really like that. They all look wonderful.

LOVE the color Chaka and Keo are wearing.

Derek always seems to be in the air.

Paula looks lovely. Great to see Louis back.

Mark....always the ham.

Allison has a great face...she really is pretty.

Alek looks a bit stiff.

Hayes is a cutie.....for a kid.

I've really missed Anna and her red hair. Gary looks good for a train wreck.

Tony looks dapper. His partner, however, looks top heavy.

Not fond of Sharna's costume. Nick looks bored.

Val gets better looking every season.

Andy originally did the photoshoot with Peta - they shot it before she dropped out. That photo is an awkward digital composite of the two of them from separate photos. 

That explains a lot.  I kept wondering why they weren't interacting at all.  Geez, they must be practicing together by now, how hard would it have been to just take a new picture?

Generally I think all the pics came out great but what's with Sharna/Nick and the crossed arms and the stern faces (attitude?).

I realize they have a whole big setup for these official title shots but I agree with Princess Sparkle, couldn't they just get a good picture of Andy/Allison against a white or gray wall or just photoshop a background in behind them? The proportion of that mashup doesn't look flattering to either Andy or Allison.