Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E18: Jill's Special Delivery

(edited)

Derrick looks quite Marfanoid to me. I wonder if they went through any kind of genetic counseling since his father died so young?

Edited by Isthisok
  • Love 7
(edited)

They could have easily done the baby shower, nursery decorating and highly edited birth in the course of one hour. The rehashing was just to stroke Mechelle's ego and keep her thin hold on her sanity. The fact that she's holding onto cribs thinking she'll have more blessings at 48 shows how delusional she is.

Also throw me on top of the pile of those who think the nursery decorating was staged. It seems unlikely that someone who wrote a 700 page Birth Plan Manifesto would blow off setting up a nursery until the week of her due date.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 11
(edited)

I think Derrick should grow his hair out. In the pictures when he was pistol pete he had longer hair and it looked good on him.

ETA: my heart leapt for joy when I saw the smugger kid with the magician cape on! That was an exciting development!

Edited by lottiedottie
  • Love 3

In Josie's defense, my impression of her "biting/snapping" in the air during the TH segment is that both girls were talking about the fact that she used to chew on her crib rail. They showed Josie doing it, while MEchelle and JB watched her and talked about how she used to do that, and then Josie and one of the Lost Girls (I can't keep them straight - was it Jennifer?) were talking - wait, I mean mumbling - about it in the TH and Josie was mimicking how she used to bite the crib. So while I worry about that child's developmental needs, in this case, I think it was actually a fairly normal thing to do.

• Love 5

In Josie's defense, my impression of her "biting/snapping" in the air during the TH segment is that both girls were talking about the fact that she used to chew on her crib rail. They showed Josie doing it, while MEchelle and JB watched her and talked about how she used to do that, and then Josie and one of the Lost Girls (I can't keep them straight - was it Jennifer?) were talking - wait, I mean mumbling - about it in the TH and Josie was mimicking how she used to bite the crib. So while I worry about that child's developmental needs, in this case, I think it was actually a fairly normal thing to do.

I agree with you on that. 

There was another TH segment where Josie seemed to be in outer space. I can't even remember what they were talking about in it, though. The one thing I would say about her behavior during TH segments is that I wonder if some of it is filmed after a long day and the kids are tired and over filming and just do their own thing?

• Love 4

It still amazes me how Jill won't admit she messed up. She's the reason things went wrong and she still doesn't think she did anything wrong.  I don't understand how she can't realize she messed up and the danger she put her baby in.

• Love 5

I think Michelle's interactions with Josie make it abundantly clear that she has no idea how to raise a child. But this shouldn't really be any surprise, since their goal isn't to "raise" children to be functional, well-adjusted adults, but to "train" them to be good Gothardites. She obviously has no clue about child development, so if Josie did have any delays, she would not be the one to spot them.

• Love 3

Jill probably knew that Hannie was old enough to care for her son because she and Jana were doing that at the same age or even younger as "buddies."  I don't know exactly how old those girls were when Mechelle had her laundry room breakdown, but they were young.

• Love 8

Seriously. This was supposed to be about Jill's "special delivery" and we got a rehash of MEEE-chelle's pregnancies and deliveries. Who the fuck cares? It's NOT about you, MEEE-chelle. (I added an extra E in MEEE-chelle's name because this episode took the fucking cake. How self-absorbed is this woman? News flash: we know all about your child birth experiences and we do not want to hear about you still wanting and trying for more of them! Gross!)

I'll admit, Cathy's birthday gift to Derek made me cry,  Awwww.  The Duggar kids must have been so confused by it. Can you say "sen-ti-ment" everyone? Repeat after me, "SEN-TI-MENT."  

ETA: anyone catch the side eye that Jana gave her mother as they were driving over to Jill's house. She buckled her seatbeat and kinda glanced over at Michelle, who was babbling, as usual. I think I read, "STFU, crazy woman" in Jana's eyes.

I saw that side-eye. Jana looked like she would have rather been anywhere else but there. She had the "WTF am I being made to do this" look. Actually, she looked pissed. I wish she would grow a pair and tell them all to go straight to hell.
  • Love 1

Boring episode, too much on Michelle. I am sick of that child.

Only liked the scenes with Derick, especially when he read the letter from his dad. I did like Jill's new TH look. I know she won't keep it but wish she would.

I saw that side-eye. Jana looked like she would have rather been anywhere else but there. She had the "WTF am I being made to do this" look. Actually, she looked pissed. I wish she would grow a pair and tell them all to go straight to hell.

I haven't seen the episode yet (is it online yet anywhere?), but was it similar to the way Jinger was looking at Michelle during that Christmas Tour video they posted? Because Jinger's look was a wary look, the way you'd look at someone who should be in an insane asylum. I wonder whether they are on edge, wondering if she is about to lose what remains of her mind.

• Love 1

When Michelle was talking to Josie, the poor kid was looking at her like "Who are you and why are you talking to be like I'm two years old?"  But then Michelle talks to us like we're two year olds in her TH's, so I guess no one is safe. Add in her crazy bug eyed look and her overly excited screechy voice, and she comes across as mentally deranged.  

I'm ready to send TLC a letter begging them to retire the Duggars and replace them with the Willis family.  I don't care if they sing on every episode, at least they have nice voices and it beats the hell out of listening to the Duggars assault our ears with their violin playing.  How much longer can TPTB think we're going to find the endless weddings and births that will be coming up entertaining?  Now that two of the girls are married, we get to watch Jessa's pregnancy and birth, and listen to JimBob go on and on, episode after episode, about how Josiah and what's her face can't touch, can't hold hands and have to have chaperones constantly until the day they say I do. Besides, I don't think I can stomach watching him flaunt groping Michelle in front of the courting youngsters, after watching the montage of Michelle and him kissing on last night's episode. Maybe its time for me to retire the Duggars even if TLC doesn't.  

• Love 8

Derrick looks quite Marfinoid to me. I wonder if they went through any kind of genetic counseling since his father died so young?

I thought about that too, and then with Isaiah's great length. I'm not certain whether Marfan's present that early though. 

• Love 2

Ah yes, Woods… but he never fails to say for Jill and I or to Jill and I.  Now that they are 3, will it be for Jill and we or to Jill and we?  How consistently wrong can he possibly be?  Drives I nuts!

And him is the college educated one?

• Love 7

Again, my fellow snarkers, thanks for taking one for the team.  I just couldn't bring myself to watch this crap fest.

But I do hope that Cathy gets to spend lots and lots of time with Izzy since that is her only grandchild and she doesn't have younger kids at home.  But who am I kidding.  Meshell will tell the lost girls "Sorry mama has got to go hold a baby."

• Love 2

70 hours of labor and they only showed about 15 minutes of it?  I think Michelle was right, Jill knew too much about labor for her own good.  Jill thought she would be the expert, but still waited too long to go to the hospital.  I thought it was odd she didn't want to call in the midwives until she was almost ready to push so she wouldn't inconvenience them?  I don't remember seeing the two ladies who came for the house tour actually at the birth.  Poor Jana having to be there, I don't get the impression she actually wants to be a midwife.

I'm surprised the doctor actually waited so long to do the C-section.   I would think after 50 hours of labor, they'd say enough is enough.  I'm glad that the waiting room wasn't full of Duggars, at least they had the sense to stay home.

• Love 7
(edited)

I thought about that too, and then with Isaiah's great length. I'm not certain whether Marfan's present that early though.

If you're looking for it, it can be diagnosed in infancy. Things like the high arched palate, and the pectus excavatum/carinatum would be noticeable if present. It would take longer to notice the long fingers or armspan, or the torso length. But those are just typical features, and won't occur in all inherited cases of Marfan's. The genetic testing would be key. But Derrick is very textbook-looking to me. If that's the case, I hope baby Dilly inherited more Duggarfied genes. I never thought I'd say that.

Edited by Isthisok
  • Love 2

Re: Derick and Marfan syndrome - I hadn't thought of it, but it is an interesting thought based on his features and his father's death. One of my husband's former coworkers suffered an aortic dissection and nearly died a couple years ago. Based on his features, my mind went immediately to Marfan syndrome when I heard the news, although I'm not sure whether it was formally diagnosed or not.

Also, regarding Jill's comment about her baby not being ugly. I am a little biased, but that comment isn't weird to me. My dad apparently told my mom right after I was born that they sure had a weird looking baby. =P

I think Derrick should grow his hair out. In the pictures when he was pistol pete he had longer hair and it looked good on him.

Totally agree. During the last part I was staring at his awful bangs every time he did a TH. He has a Frankenstein's monster hairstyle right now.

• Love 3

Would like to have been in the production meeting on this episode. Having to recycle old footage already featured in the lead-up episode indicates that what went on air was not at all what was planned. I suspect Jill was stubborn and not keeping very sweet while holding out at the midwife's, and the Duggars didn't want her to be shown that way (as several here have pointed out). Also, Jill "failed" by not having the popping-out-a-blessing brand of Duggar birth that fits the family brand. Anna's more reliable that way apparently. 

Will the fans complain about this very precious, very boring episode?

• Love 2

Would like to have been in the production meeting on this episode. Having to recycle old footage already featured in the lead-up episode indicates that what went on air was not at all what was planned. I suspect Jill was stubborn and not keeping very sweet while holding out at the midwife's, and the Duggars didn't want her to be shown that way (as several here have pointed out). Also, Jill "failed" by not having the popping-out-a-blessing brand of Duggar birth that fits the family brand. Anna's more reliable that way apparently

Very interesting. I don't know much about the world of TV production, but that definitely explains why there was identical footage shown two nights in a row.

So I guess we missed the parts where Jill curses everyone out, argues with the midwife and hospital staff and yells that she's going to do it her way.

Maybe there will be a "Duggars Uncensored" episode on when they really hit rock bottom. 

• Love 6

They could have easily done the baby shower, nursery decorating and highly edited birth in the course of one hour. The rehashing was just to stroke Mechelle's ego and keep her thin hold on her sanity. The fact that she's holding onto cribs thinking she'll have more blessings at 48 shows how delusional she is.

Also throw me on top of the pile of those who think the nursery decorating was staged. It seems unlikely that someone who wrote a 700 page Birth Plan Manifesto would blow off setting up a nursery until the week of her due date.

Jill and Derrick were making a list of Bible quotes to refer to during the birth soon after conception. No way was the nursery left to the last minute!

Anyone else think that Mechelle's response of "really" when Jill told her (by phone) that her water had broken was strange? "Really" seems to be the last response I would use in that instance.

• Love 5

I love Derick. I think he's patient and good-natured. I believe his laid-back style gives the impression he'll be a push-over and will be manipulated by Jim Bob. It also may give the mistaken impression that he doesn't have convictions. I think he believes in the importance of higher education and tradition. He's proud that both of his parents, and he, are graduates of OSU. And "being" Pistol Pete is a VERY big deal in Oklahoma. I predict Derick will not become a Duggar. 

How sad is it that the little girls couldn't just get down on the floor and play with their dollies with their Mom? It had to be a structured, planned, lesson. And none of them look really comfortable with her. When a couple of them tried to play, or just be little girls (diapering the baby's head, for example), Michelle had to redirect them about how to do it the right way.

Jana....run, as fast as you can. Far, far away.

• Love 8

So I guess we missed the parts where Jill curses everyone out, argues with the midwife and hospital staff and yells that she's going to do it her way.

Probably, I am surprised they also left out Jill telling the doctor how to sew her up correctly so we can continue to see what an awesome midwife she is.

• Love 1

Derrick looks quite Marfanoid to me. I wonder if they went through any kind of genetic counseling since his father died so young?

I had not heard of Marfan til your post. So I googled and also googled images of Derrick and I can really see what you mean. It's funny because I did note how very long his fingers were when I watched last night. All snark aside I hope he isn't afflicted with that, hopefully if it was a factor in his dad's death Derrick would have been made aware. Thanks for the lesson/info.

• Love 3
(edited)

Derrick looks so much better cleanshaven with longer hair. WTH did he ever change his look?

Probably, I am surprised they also left out Jill telling the doctor how to sew her up correctly so we can continue to see what an awesome midwife she is.

At least she didn't do it herself. I remember way, way back in TWOP times there was a buzz about Jill leaning to sew up tissue. They were using pink craft foam to simulate the tissue in her midwife class. That was downright scary.

And him is the college educated one?

A lot of the Gothard followers have educations, but gave them up for the cult. I guess the emotional need to belong (and not burn in hell) trumps any intellectual pursuits. No way is Izzy going to college, unless Derrick realizes that his teenage son is still doing elementary school level work.

Edit: I don't like to visually diagnose people, but I wonder if Jill's pre-courting interrogation included questions about what diseases run in his family, any health problems he's aware of, etc. I don't think it's out of line to ask before you marry someone.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 2

Edit: I don't like to visually diagnose people, but I wonder if Jill's pre-courting interrogation included questions about what diseases run in his family, any health problems he's aware of, etc. I don't think it's out of line to ask before you marry someone.

Remember these are the Duggars you are talking about.

• Love 2

Remember these are the Duggars you are talking about.

Right. She probably stopped at "Are you fertile?".

• Love 3

- Add me to the list of those who teared up when Derrick was reading the note from his Dad!  It looked like he got about half way through, and then wished that he hadn't been reading it out loud.

- I wish Derrick could have had some real birthday presents, and not just baby things

- It was really nice to see that Derrick's mom could be there when the baby was born,

• Love 3

That's a really good question. Odds are they're just going to try to pray it away.

(edited)

I don't watch but from what I've read here it seems like it was a snooze fest.  I'm happy that I got to watch that clip of Cathy's gift to Derick though.

edited for spelling.

Edited by abseedee

Given that they didn't have an ultrasound to know what position the baby was in at 42 weeks, when it comes to genetic testing, I'm going to go out on a limb and say, um, no, they know absolutely nothing about it in either side.

• Love 2

From what I understood the baby turned during labor. I don't remember who said it but they said when jill was checked -again- they knew something was wrong and then seen he was turned the wrong way. So the baby was in the right position at the start of labor

• Love 2

Jill and Derrick were making a list of Bible quotes to refer to during the birth soon after conception. No way was the nursery left to the last minute!

Anyone else think that Mechelle's response of "really" when Jill told her (by phone) that her water had broken was strange? "Really" seems to be the last response I would use in that instance.

Yes - "really" does seem quite odd to say in this instance. I have the distinct impression that a fair amount of last night's scenes were re-enactments. And not verbatim re-enactments either.

• Love 3

It still amazes me how Jill won't admit she messed up. She's the reason things went wrong and she still doesn't think she did anything wrong.  I don't understand how she can't realize she messed up and the danger she put her baby in.

My guess is because, until now, she's always been perfect. She's not accustomed to being wrong - about anything. She's certainly not used to hearing about being wrong. To being corrected, to having to go back and fix things, or having to re-assess something that didn't work and come up with a new strategy. But she does now - and she's finding it difficult. Things other kids get used to at a much-earlier age, Jill is facing for the first time now, at 23. And it just happens that the thing she got wrong was the one thing she was born and raised to do, which has to make it even more difficult.

• Love 9

So is there something in the contract that states that there must be X amount of minutes devoted to Michelle's birthing stories in every "special delivery" episode?  Did we really have to see all that AGAIN?  And are we in for another round when Jessa has her baby?

I think that was Johnson's Baby Lotion that Michelle was putting in Josie's hair.  Yes, she has fine curly hair that probably gets really tangled, but they do make detangling spray for that.  Nine long-haired daughters and she doesn't know that?  To be fair that was just a photo op.  I doubt she ever really combs any of the girls' hair.

• Love 7

I was horrified to see that they blurred Jill's knees!

I thought this was odd considering that Jill was sitting spread-eagle in front of the young man who was doing her pedicure.   I was wondering why they had a male doing Jill's and a female doing Derrick's (considering how the Duggers are). Was that a man or did I miss-see? I don't really understand their modesty rules.  Are knees sensuous/sexual?  On the other hand, Jill in that maxi skirt in the scene leaving the nursery was very defrauding.  Her buttocks were bouncing around like crazy. Is that okay because it is a skirt and not pants?

Also, Derrick's mom spoke about how Derrick had dark skin/hair at birth and looked nothing like her.  I thought the picture of Derrick's dad as Pistol Pete showed him as fair and blonde.  Who does Derrick look like?  And Derrick looked much better in college when he was carrying a little more weight.  I thought maybe he lost weight in Nepal (I have friends who work overseas and they lose weight (ice cream ect., too expensive or not available), but he has not gained any weight since being home and eating Duggar style.

• Love 1

I'm glad you brought up Josie. I really haven't watched this show since she was a baby. After watching tonight, I don't really know what to think about Josie. I know that I can't understand a word she says; she desperately needs speech therapy. And the way she acted during her THs? Part of me thinks that she's just very immature and spoiled and is just showing out in front of the cameras. But then I also had this nagging thought that something is not right about this child. If there IS something wrong, it wouldn't be surprising given that she weighed a little over a pound at birth. I'm really very amazed that she's anywhere near normal in any area. The problem lies in the fact that the Duggars are too stupid to get her help if she needs it.

I think there is just a serious level of immaturity in the Duggars. The little one interviewed with her(Jordan? Jenny?) seems young for her age too

• Love 2

I agree with you on that.

There was another TH segment where Josie seemed to be in outer space. I can't even remember what they were talking about in it, though. The one thing I would say about her behavior during TH segments is that I wonder if some of it is filmed after a long day and the kids are tired and over filming and just do their own thing?

I could see that. Not only was Josie all over the place but Jordyn wasn't even paying attention and Hannie looked annoyed and cranky. Considering how many takes they likely have to do to get the TH'S right it wouldn't surprise me if they were filming at the end of the day and the kids were just over it.

• Love 1

Personally I think she'll be pregnant before her first anniversary. But if she experiences a more difficult recuperation from Izzy than she admits to, it may take until Jessa has her baby before Jilly has another bun in the oven.

IMHO, of course, but I'm making the prediction now: Jilly Muffin will be pregnant again by July. They're not using birth control and she won't want derickdillard looking elsewhere for that "special gift".

• Love 3
(edited)

Truthfully, last night's episode seemed longer to me than the entire pregnancy, TLC just dragged it on into infinity. But I heard Michelle say something that I had to rewind and go back and watch again because I had to make sure I heard it right.

"I mean honestly, I've heard it said, that nurses and doctors know way more than other people know about all kinds things that can happen, and Jill is kind of in that boat"

Pearls of wisdom just never seem to stop falling out of Michelle's mouth.

shock-gif.gif

Edited by HumblePi
  • Love 10
(edited)

I don't understand why everyone is saying she was wrong or that she messed up because the doctor sure didn't seem overly concerned for the first several hours, Yes. I totally agree however that her choice to not go in soon after her water broke isn't the way I (or just about anyone else) would do things but is it really a "mess up" or an odd life choice. I mean, really really odd. If I'd been knocked up forever and was that far past due, I'd be reaching up and manually evicting the kid myself....but the doctor didn't appear overly worried at first.

And the Michelle gem of hearing that (and I paraphrase) "doctors and nurses like totally know stuff..." was exceptionally precious and a blessing.

Edited by asuwur
  • Love 2
I kept fast forwarding, watched 5 minutes, fast forward again, watch 5 minutes again and when the DVR said there was 20 minutes left I started to think it was a total fake out, that at the end she'd say her water broke and we'd get a to be continued. 

I was so dreading this happening too when I realized it was getting close to the end and we still hadn't seen any labor!

Very interesting. I don't know much about the world of TV production, but that definitely explains why there was identical footage shown two nights in a row.

Maybe there will be a "Duggars Uncensored" episode on when they really hit rock bottom. 

You're right, it does help explain why they showed essentially the same stuff two nights in a row.

I generally just watch this in passing if it's on while I'm folding laundry or something, but I mostly avoid it. I might actually PAY to see an "Uncensored" episode, though! And I don't just mean leaving the knees unblurred, I mean truly uncensored.

• Love 3

I thought the scene teaching the little girls to be stereotypes was a little amusing.  None of the girls were into it, and I had to snicker when Michelle glanced at the baby with the diaper on it's head, and only commented to support it's neck.  I was a little shocked that Michelle didn't snatch away the doll that Josie was clearly breastfeeding.

Johannah looks so bored and over everything.  She has no idea that at her age, Jana and Jill had full responsibility for babies and toddlers.  Although the lost girls tend to be neglected, they're luckier than some of their older sisters.  They will never raise younger siblings, and they are more indulged and will eventually get the majority of the attention. 

I wasn't too bothered that the Duggars were present during Derek's reading of the diary.  His mother knew they would be there, and chose to give him the present publicly.  He also asked her before reading it aloud.  I also thought the Duggars were very quiet and respectful while he read it.  And I may not believe Michelle's tears, but I did Joy's and Jill's.  My dad died when I was 17, so I can appreciate how Derick feels.

I don't think it was originally planned to film the entire family waiting for Jill to give birth.  Jessa looked pretty ratty when she's usually all dolled up, and hair curled perfectly, etc.

Also, regarding Jill's comment about her baby not being ugly. I am a little biased, but that comment isn't weird to me. My dad apparently told my mom right after I was born that they sure had a weird looking baby. =P

I'm not going to hold that comment against Jill.  The girl was in labor for days, and by the time of delivery she was exhausted and sleep deprived.  Add in that she had some pain medicine, and she was probably tripping.  I'm amazed that she was standing during Derick's TH regarding the up coming epidural. 

I was adopted.  The story goes that when I came home, my dad's friend had to go collect him at a bar.  He was afraid to come home because he was worried I'd be ugly.  He was 38 years old!  Luckily, he was a doting father.

From what I understood the baby turned during labor. I don't remember who said it but they said when jill was checked -again- they knew something was wrong and then seen he was turned the wrong way. So the baby was in the right position at the start of labor

I'm sure it's not statistically impossible, but I find it extremely hard to believe that that gigantic baby turned at the last minute.  When he came out, he looked like a classic breech baby - legs straight and in a pike position.  That happens over time.

• Love 7

I don't understand why everyone is saying she was wrong or that she messed up because the doctor sure didn't seem overly concerned for the first several hours, Yes. I totally agree however that her choice to not go in soon after her water broke isn't the way I (or just about anyone else) would do things but is it really a "mess up" or an odd life choice. I mean, really really odd. If I'd been knocked up forever and was that far past due, I'd be reaching up and manually evicting the kid myself....but the doctor didn't appear overly worried at first.

And the Michelle gem of hearing that (and I paraphrase) "doctors and nurses like totally know stuff..." was exceptionally precious and a blessing.

I think that the doctor approached the suggestion to deliver cesarean section was in a relaxed way in order not to raise any alarms. He calmly told Jill that a c-section was the best option. It was potentially a very serious situation since Jill saw meconium stool on her pad in the bathroom. The first concern is whether or not the fetus is in a high risk because of the presence of meconium. since meconium is still a marker of fetal distress. Jill noted the presence of meconium after 48 hours of labor and made the right decision to get to the hospital. Jill actually did everything correctly as far as midwivery goes, she knows her stuff pretty well. Any midwife would immedietaly transport a woman in labor with presence of meconium stool. Aspiration of that is a danger to the fetus and they should be on a monitor as soon as possible.

I thought the scene teaching the little girls to be stereotypes was a little amusing.  None of the girls were into it, and I had to snicker when Michelle glanced at the baby with the diaper on it's head, and only commented to support it's neck.  I was a little shocked that Michelle didn't snatch away the doll that Josie was clearly breastfeeding.

I thought she was going to give each girl one of those nursing aprons to demonstrate how to pump breast milk since that will be somethng each girl will be doing for many years of their lives if they take after their mother.

• Love 5

Would Jill have had an ultrasound upon admission to the hospital or only after she had been laboring for so long without any progress? I'm curious because the Duggars are notorious for screwing with timelines.

• Love 1