Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E18: Jill's Special Delivery

She used it, maybe sounded it out but she didn't look up what it meant. Kinda typical for this bunch.

I think she knew what it meant. It's just an example of the disconnect from reality these people have.

Performing an exam on a patient without their consent is assault.  As far as an ultrasound goes, that's an exam, too.  I would hope the doctor performed a vaginal exam prior to ordering Pitocin, but, if she refused or insisted that her midwife be the only one to examine her or some such baloney, it could've been deferred. I suspect also that, despite her insistence that she'd been in labor for days, she probably wasn't very far along.  If she was only dilated a centimeter or two and if the baby was butt first and the sacrum (tailbone) was at the opening, it would be hard to pick up a breech, particularly on a first time mom who was probably exhausted, in pain, and tense with exam.  Then, once the Pitocin was started, Jill no doubt went back to her 'no vaginal exams until I need to push' ways.  Chances are, she refused to be examined for hours and hours and, then, when she finally agreed to an exam, she was dilated enough that it was obvious the kid was butt first.  It would not be routine to order an ultrasound on a laboring patient unless one suspected the baby wasn't headfirst, so it probably didn't happen until right before the cesarean.  Remember, too, Jill made the ridiculous remark that maybe the baby could be turned at that point; indicating she had no idea what she was talking about.  This kind of stuff is what happens when folks think they know more than the pros.

That's our Jill, 'Often in error, never in doubt'.

Well, Michelle did tell us that Jill was "in the same boat" as doctors and nurses.

I imagine giving Pitocin to a woman with a malpositioned fetus could have bad results, like uterine rupture?

• Love 1

I can't believe I missed it, lol.

It was during the guys talking about how they would throw a baby shower. It was actually a really cute scene. My favorite part was John David saying instead of pink and blue, it would be camouflage colors.

• Love 2

I don't understand why Jill thought meconium wasn't a problem.  My friend's son aspirated meconium and wound up in the NICU @ Hershey Med.  It was pretty bad.  And I always thought that once your water breaks, the baby is at risk for infection if it goes on too long.  That's very serious, too.  Oh wait, it's OK if you have a TV show. 

You need a 5-year-old to help you look for a crib?  Whatever.  And I am so glad we had the little pop-up telling us that Duggar kids spent a combined 70,000 hours in a crib (or something like that).  We were all wondering about that at work, and now we know!  That's so neat.  And surreal.  And precious.

Seriously, who thinks up these stupid "facts?"  What's next?  How many pads the Duggar girls use?  Combined hours on the toilet?  This show is so stupid.  I flip back and forth between channels, and read the snark on here, which makes me want to watch the whole episode.  I think I need an intervention.

• Love 8
I don't understand why Jill thought meconium wasn't a problem.  My friend's son aspirated meconium and wound up in the NICU @ Hershey Med.  It was pretty bad.  And I always thought that once your water breaks, the baby is at risk for infection if it goes on too long.  That's very serious, too.  Oh wait, it's OK if you have a TV show.

I was thinking this too once your water broke you don't mess around and put the baby''s life first but then again Jill is a special snowflake midwife wanna be so it was ok.

I cannot understand Jill not thinking the meconium was a huge problem. When they broke my water at the hospital and found meconium, we are told that a- they would need to call NICU staff in right before she was born so she could be examined by them immediately, b- that she would not be placed on my stomach immediately so they could do said examination, and c- that if she had aspirated any of it, they would need to take her away to deal with that so it might be a while before I would hold her (though they said my husband could go with her). All of that sounded pretty damn serious to me, and I was terrified she wouldn't be ok (she was perfectly fine, luckily). Maybe my hospital was just overly cautious, but I can't imagine that Jill's training wouldn't have made her aware of how serious meconium can be.

• Love 5

Well, Michelle did tell us that Jill was "in the same boat" as doctors and nurses.

I imagine giving Pitocin to a woman with a malpositioned fetus could have bad results, like uterine rupture?

That was truly the dumbest statement Michelle has ever made. Medical/nursing schools vs some online multiple choice questions and workbooks = definitely the same thing.

We all know Jill is an incompetent hack, but what was up with the doctor being so unconcerned? Was the situation not quite as dire as what the Duggars and People made it out to be?

The Duggars overexaggerate everything.

• Love 2

My apologies if this has already been mentioned, but I thought it was hysterical when Josie was asked to find her baby bed, and she immediately ran to the Pack n' Play. After all, that was her real bed.

• Love 18
(edited)

I haven't seen the episode yet (is it online yet anywhere?), but was it similar to the way Jinger was looking at Michelle during that Christmas Tour video they posted? Because Jinger's look was a wary look, the way you'd look at someone who should be in an insane asylum. I wonder whether they are on edge, wondering if she is about to lose what remains of her mind.

No, she looked pissed at having to attend Jill's L&D. I think she's just over it, meaning totally over life as a Duggar. The girl is worn out, for God's sake. God, if you have any mercy at all, please send Jana a rich, good-looking, kind man to sweep off her feet and out of that hellhole she's living in. Amen.

P.S. God, a clone of Erin Bates' husband would be great!

Edited by farmgal4
  • Love 5

Yes I understand you can't force anyone to get an exam does that put your license in jeopardy? Can you suggest that a vag check is of upmost importance? Just want to understand why Jill was so stubborn.

No, it wouldn't.  As I've said, it can be very difficult to tell if a baby is breech or not, particularly if the cervix isn't very dilated.  Many hospitals would have rules against giving Pitocin to anyone whose baby wasn't headfirst, but mistakes can happen.  Even so, the huge amount of time from when Jill came to the hospital until they figured out the baby was breech indicates to me that she didn't have very many vaginal exams or they were all done by the same person, someone who wasn't very adept at assessing fetal position.  I wonder if Jill and her lay midwife didn't insist on having only her midwife do her exams., and, being not very knowledgeable (based on seeing how very little Jill seems to know about childbirth despite 'studying' it for years), the midwife didn't realize what she was feeling on vaginal exam and mistook the butt for a head.

• Love 2
God, if you have any mercy at all, please send Jana a rich, good-looking, kind man to sweep off her feet and out of that hellhole she's living in. Amen.

Is Jill's doctor single? Here's hoping that Jana checked that situation out. 

• Love 6

How did Jill get away with using an unlicensed lay midwife on camera. Isn't that illegal? I just ill-advised?

This whole birth shows what an alternate universe the Duggars created and live in.

• Love 4

No, uterine rupture is very uncommon if a woman hasn't had prior uterine surgery,  The big risks for a breech are cord prolapse (cord falling through the cervix ahead of the baby.  With every contraction, the baby's body then would compress the cord against the cervix and potentially strangle the baby), dysfunctional labor (the baby's head is smooth and hard compared to other body parts and exerts pressure on the cervix that helps it to dilate more efficiently.  One of the reasons Jill's contractions kept stopping and starting and she wasn't getting anywhere was that it wasn't the head against the cervix.  A competent midwife would've thought of this and assessed the baby's position days earlier than it was done here).  The head is also the biggest part of.a newborn and the rest of the body can potentially pass through the cervix before it is completely dilated leading to entrapment of the baby's head in the cervix which can lead to head and neck injuries as well as oxygen deprivation,  Finally, as a breech baby delivers, it's arms tend to end up extended up over it's head.  These need to be very carefully delivery or serious injury to the nerves going to the arms can occur as wekk as fractured bones.

• Love 3

No, it wouldn't.  As I've said, it can be very difficult to tell if a baby is breech or not, particularly if the cervix isn't very dilated.  Many hospitals would have rules against giving Pitocin to anyone whose baby wasn't headfirst, but mistakes can happen.  Even so, the huge amount of time from when Jill came to the hospital until they figured out the baby was breech indicates to me that she didn't have very many vaginal exams or they were all done by the same person, someone who wasn't very adept at assessing fetal position.  I wonder if Jill and her lay midwife didn't insist on having only her midwife do her exams., and, being not very knowledgeable (based on seeing how very little Jill seems to know about childbirth despite 'studying' it for years), the midwife didn't realize what she was feeling on vaginal exam and mistook the butt for a head.

Is that legal? I had home births with CNMs but they didn't have hospital privileges. If I had transferred they would have come with but only as labor support. I would have been under the care of my backup OB. Our hospitals have CNMs with privileges but they are hospital birth midwives. In other words they either do hospital births or home/birth center births. And I've never heard of lay midwives practicing at a hospital. Is it different in other states?

• Love 1
(edited)

Is that legal? I had home births with CNMs but they didn't have hospital privileges. If I had transferred they would have come with but only as labor support. I would have been under the care of my backup OB. Our hospitals have CNMs with privileges but they are hospital birth midwives. In other words they either do hospital births or home/birth center births. And I've never heard of lay midwives practicing at a hospital. Is it different in other states?

Every state has its own laws.  The state where I practice doesn't permit direct-entry midwives.  They're not recognized or licensed.  If one shows up at the hospital, it can only be for labor support.  They also can face criminal penalties for practicing without a license if they accept money for deliveries.  When a woman who was using a lay midwife comes tp the hospital here, she usually lies to protect the lay midwife and claims she had no one but her husband helping.  The last lay midwife who accompanied a woman tp the hospital that I encountered absolutely denied that she was attending the birth at all, she 'just happened' to stop by and say hello to her friend who was giving birth at the time.  Yeah, right.  That particular baby died.  Two weeks overdue, water broken more than 2 days before delivery and thick meconium. 

In Arkansas, lay midwifery is legal and they do have licenses to practice. I don't think they can come to the hospital as anything other than labor support, though.  The only way the lay midwife could do an exam is if an extremely sympathetic doc or nurse allowed it. However, Jill's 'midwife' lost her license to practice, so she was not allowed to deliver out of the hospital either.  The loophole is in the relationship. It is not against the law to deliver at home and anyone can deliver the baby,  It is only if Jill's midwife accepted compensation for performing the delivery that she'd be in trouble.  Most lay midwives are very savvy and coach their patients as to what to say.  I suspect Jill hired her to be a 'Doula' and had a signed agreement specifying that she was not working as a midwife.  Doesn't mean she wasn't planning to do the delivery and wasn't performing midwifery type procedures.  In other words, they lied about her true role.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 8
(edited)

I'm late getting to watch this, but one thing that struck me as they were putting the bedding in the crib. They tied bumper pads in the crib, didn't they? I thought they now recommend against using those due to strangulation risk or SIDS, so I looked it up and I'm right. Hopefully Jill is just using them for decoration , and will take them out before putting the baby in.

(Why do they still sell them if they're unsafe?)

http://www.babycenter.com/408_is-it-safe-to-use-bumpers-on-my-babys-crib_1368447.bcIs

it safe to use bumpers on my baby's crib?

Fern Hauck

SIDS expert

No. The American Academy of Pediatrics and SIDS prevention groups caution against using crib bumpers. (This includes the "breathable mesh crib liners" that are now on the market.)

It's true that many crib bedding sets are still sold with bumpers. And you may be tempted to use some kind of bumper or liner to keep your baby's limbs from slipping between the crib slats or your baby's head from banging against the sides.

But there's no evidence that these products prevent injuries. And reports show that they can lead to suffocation, strangulation, or entrapment. Some bumpers also reduce the flow of fresh air in your baby's crib, which is considered a contributing factor in SIDS.

Edited by ChiCricket

Again I ask, who was the name of her midwife.  If she and husband are not experienced with successful outcomes, people should know in order to avoid them.  The information is public record, but I don't have a clue and would love to know.

• Love 1

When I had my babies direct-entry midwives were not legal in my state either. They have since become legal provided they follow the licensing procedures. I seriously doubt they have a legal way to perform cervical exams etc once their patient is in the hospital. I just can't imagine putting people in that situation. Even if you find a really sympathetic doctor, what kind of person asks people to put their livelihood on the line for something that silly. The whole thing makes no sense to me. She transferred. You transfer to get OB care. So get OB care. 

• Love 1

Three pages and no one mentioned my favorite Derick quote EVER?!!???

"I think Jill would enjoy a man shower. I'm sure she'd come!"

How on earth did I miss that??  I must've been tuned out at that moment. That is hilarious! That might even be a best quote of the show ever. It's at least in the top 5.

• Love 6

I wasn't surprised that they were decorating the baby's room only days before he was born. The Duggars all have terrible time management skills -- they even call it "Duggar Time." They have a long history of starting projects and then never completing them. The shower gifts were just dumped on the floor and left there -- lovely. I would have been thrilled if I had been a guest at one of Jill's showers and saw my gift in a big pile on the floor.

It doesn't surprise me that they are using something (bumper guards) that has recently been proven to be unsafe. 1. They don't read anything that isn't a Gothard workbook and 2) J'chelle knows everything in the world that there is to know about babies. There is no way that Jill would have asked anyone but her mother for advice, or decked out the crib in any manner other than what J'chelle would have done.

• Love 2
(edited)

Do we know what his dad died from. My hubby had a type A aortic dissection, the type that killed John Ritter. He was in the hospital for 3 months. He doesn't have Marfan's thoug, but I know a lot about it from dealing with an AD. Does Marfan's cause a Bicuspid valve? If so, maybe they have tested Derick for one. We had my son tested and thank goodness his aortic valve is normal.

I think they've only said an unknown heart condition, at age 51. I have Vascular Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome and a mutation related to Loeys-Dietz Syndrome (which used to be Marfan's Type II) so hereditary connective tissue disorders with vascular complications are my wheelhouse. That, and also cake.

Doesn't Arkansas have really lax Midwifery laws? No nursing degree required?

Edited by Isthisok
  • Love 2

Regarding the midwives:  I think the ones that came to Jill's house and appeared on camera are licensed.  I can't imagine anyone unlicensed would be stupid enough to allow themselves to be caught on film.

The midwife who lost her license (resulting in Jill losing her learner's permit, for lack of a better name) was named Venessa, and she did not take part in the birth.

But really there are so many holes in the story, details included in one account and omitted in another, that the truth will never come out. 

• Love 5

Three pages and no one mentioned my favorite Derick quote EVER?!!???

"I think Jill would enjoy a man shower. I'm sure she'd come!"

How on earth did I miss that??  I must've been tuned out at that moment. That is hilarious! That might even be a best quote of the show ever. It's at least in the top 5.

That's certainly up there with Meechelle and JB's "vow removal" !!! I snort-laughed when he said that.

The saddest thing is NO ONE got it. Or ever will. I'll bet they all think a double entendre is when you order two burritos. 

• Love 9

Thanks for the name.  She has Facebook with mostly pictures including Jill.  Advertising I'm sure.  But she now has an office in Texas so may not be on the register for Arkansas anymore.  No matter, even Jesus was persecuted.  No bible verses during labor heard here either.  But then, not much labor either.  I know it was edited to death because you can't just bleep the whole show!   That's why we only got about 15 minutes of the labor, delivery, and going home.  What a crock.

• Love 2

What is Venessa's last name?  We've seen her several times on the show.

Vanessa Giron. She wasn't Jill's attending midwife. That was "Miss Joy," assisted by the midwife in training, the Query woman. That could be "Rachel." I don't think I've ever known Mrs. Query's first name. 

• Love 1

I'm late getting to watch this, but one thing that struck me as they were putting the bedding in the crib. They tied bumper pads in the crib, didn't they? I thought they now recommend against using those due to strangulation risk or SIDS, so I looked it up and I'm right. Hopefully Jill is just using them for decoration , and will take them out before putting the baby in.

(Why do they still sell them if they're unsafe?)

http://www.babycenter.com/408_is-it-safe-to-use-bumpers-on-my-babys-crib_1368447.bcIs

it safe to use bumpers on my baby's crib?

Fern Hauck

SIDS expert

No. The American Academy of Pediatrics and SIDS prevention groups caution against using crib bumpers. (This includes the "breathable mesh crib liners" that are now on the market.)

It's true that many crib bedding sets are still sold with bumpers. And you may be tempted to use some kind of bumper or liner to keep your baby's limbs from slipping between the crib slats or your baby's head from banging against the sides.

But there's no evidence that these products prevent injuries. And reports show that they can lead to suffocation, strangulation, or entrapment. Some bumpers also reduce the flow of fresh air in your baby's crib, which is considered a contributing factor in SIDS.

Yes! Not only the crib bumper but the decorative pillow in the crib!

• Love 1

We really aren't sure what causes SIDS, so I'm very hesitant to attribute it to ANYTHING.

Personally, I think most safety recalls on baby products are overblown. I realize that a parent who has lost a child feels "even one is too many" but too often Americans overcompensate the other way, taking something that might have been mildly dangerous and turn it into something that becomes actually dangerous. Case in point - rear facing car seats ARE safer for the spine but so many parents are afraid of not seeing the baby (understands) that they have added mirrors that become projectiles in a crash (more dangerous as they likely will hit the child in the head.)

When it comes to doing all of this perfectly, you can't, and what is sad, if anything goes wrong, we we as a society WILL blame the parents. It's easier than thinking that it could just as easily have happened to us.

• Love 12

Query's should be teaching at Hogwarts, they do everything- deliver babies, homeschool other people's children, laundry, babysitting services. Or maybe they are in training to be Mary Poppins.

• Love 3

We really aren't sure what causes SIDS, so I'm very hesitant to attribute it to ANYTHING.

Personally, I think most safety recalls on baby products are overblown. I realize that a parent who has lost a child feels "even one is too many" but too often Americans overcompensate the other way, taking something that might have been mildly dangerous and turn it into something that becomes actually dangerous. Case in point - rear facing car seats ARE safer for the spine but so many parents are afraid of not seeing the baby (understands) that they have added mirrors that become projectiles in a crash (more dangerous as they likely will hit the child in the head.)

When it comes to doing all of this perfectly, you can't, and what is sad, if anything goes wrong, we we as a society WILL blame the parents. It's easier than thinking that it could just as easily have happened to us.

Agreed on all points. I swear if they take the car-seat rules any further I'm going to be driving backwards in one myself because I'm fairly short. It's sad how often the parents are blamed for things when they get so much pressure from every angle - it's like they can't do anything right. I'm sure that's magnified for Jill and Derick because they've also got TV to worry about on top of family.

• Love 4

The car seat rules are there for a reason, though. Just because they're stricter than they used to be doesn't make it a bad thing, as kids are far safer now. But to bring this back to the Duggars, it reminds me how much I can't stand that they walk around in their moving vehicles and let the kids go completely unsecured! Mind boggling.

• Love 3
(edited)

Did they put the bumper on the bottom (Good GOD. We should all be dead. We had bumpers...so did my son. There's even a picture of me somewhere with my head stuck between the bars of my crib. My mother though it was hilarious).  I thought that they tied the bumper to the top rail (I guess to keep Izz from hitting his head once he starts pulling himself up....judging from his size, that ought to be sometime in June).  It hid the Josie's teeth marks. I don't think they tied it down below on the bottom, which is the more traditional place that bumpers go. 

I agree with you. Now, granted, I grew up in the 70's with lawn darts, metal Slinkies and a Suzy Homemaker oven that baked cakes on the shag carpeting in my bedroom. I found out that half the baby stuff my basement, still in pristine condition and not very old, can't even be given to Goodwill, or sold at a garage sale because of the way it was built, or that it's no longer "legal.". 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 9
(edited)

I was going to say something snarky about lead paint all over baby toys from china was overblown but hey I won't. Duggars won't have to worry about most recalls because they don't ......read or that kind of stuff. No worry!

Edited by Chicklet
  • Love 1

Marjorie was at Derricks birthday party and Jill was clearly pregnant. Yet the courtship wasn't announced till RickJamesBitch was born. The birthday was only family. So..........what gives?

Marjorie was at Derricks birthday party and Jill was clearly pregnant. Yet the courtship wasn't announced till RickJamesBitch was born. The birthday was only family. So..........what gives?

More timeline trickery from our favorite family. IMO, they (and the producers) schedule every "unveiling" for maximum exposure, working in close conjunction with People and US magazines. I'm baffled as to when anything actually happens in that family. Jessa's pregnancy is the latest example of wtf-ism; girlfriend is either pregnant with twins, or there's some sleight-of-hand going on with that due date.  

Bin and Jessa keep making stupid videos alluding to twins but who knows with these people. I didn't notice Marjorie at the party, but I agree she wouldn't have been there if they weren't already courting and she was significantly involved with the family.

Bin and Jessa keep making stupid videos alluding to twins but who knows with these people.

Anythign to drum up attention.

I didn't notice Marjorie at the party, but I agree she wouldn't have been there if they weren't already courting and she was significantly involved with the family.

Makes you wonder how long she's been courting. Probably a lot longer than we think, so they can be engaged on her 18th birthday, and married soon after. The TV show won't wait forever!

• Love 2

On the other hand, Jill used to babysit her. And at least until a year ago, Jill had some interest in learning Spanish and serving on a mission in a more serious way than most of her siblings, so she may have spent some time in Marjorie's home. It's possible that she actually is pretty friendly with Jill in a way that is completely separate from her relationship with Josiah.

• Love 4

Finally got to see it. Yuck.

Really, doing that whole crib-search and giving the crib to Jill -- I'm appalled that they didn't include Jordyn in that. Jenny, maybe, doesn't give a crap (or maybe she does, and hides it well) but Jordyn and Josie are SO close in age and they both slept in that crib. If they were going to make a production out of such a small thing, the least they could do was include both the littlest girls. How horrible it must be, to be Jordyn. I really, really hate them for how they ignore her.

Here's a shocking idea: perhaps Jordyn's language skills are lagging because NO ONE EVER TALKS TO HER. Josie, honestly, speaks better than Jordyn does, and I think her weird antics are mostly "look at me!" acts. But she is also a semi-feral child. No one teaches her anything about how to behave. They're all like, ha ha she's so funny... Too bad she'll never get to go to school with real children and learn some social skills. I don't think anything's wrong with her intellectually. She knew where the crib was (wrong crib, but close enough). When they were assembling it, she had no trouble telling Boob that his side was wrong and Derick's was right (which was correct). And Jordyn comes out with perfectly well reasoned responses too, like when they asked her how many kids she thought Jill would have. She said, "Israel will be the oldest, and then she might have a lot more or she might not." I just really think the problems are environmental.

Amazing what editing can do! From the little I could stand to watch, that whole birth looked nothing like any of the different versions that were described by the Duggars. And finally may I add that if I never hear another word about Boob and Mrs. Boob's "plumbing," it will be too soon. YUCK!!!

• Love 6
(edited)

That's certainly up there with Meechelle and JB's "vow removal" !!! I snort-laughed when he said that.

The saddest thing is NO ONE got it. Or ever will. I'll bet they all think a double entendre is when you order two burritos. 

I finally got caught up on the last 4 episodes (nursing school takes precedence over television!).  I just about snarfed my beverage out of my nose when Derick said that.  Not one person in that family would understand just how dirty that sounds in the real world.  TOO FUNNY!!!! 

Edited by SopranoKris
  • Love 3
(edited)

Sorry to ask so many questions but seriously why did they give her Pitocin at the hospital when they had no idea that the baby might have been breech?? Wouldn't they have done a scan before? Was Jill in charge? They listened to her over what was right for the baby?? None of it makes any sense to me.

***I read the upthread by Doodlebug so I have an answer.

Edited by Fuzzysox

Was I seeing things or was Jill's belly kind of shaded out when they were doing an Ultrasound on her? Please don't tell me that is a whole part of the modesty thing?  

• Love 2

What has always bothered me about this family is the lack of laughter.  The kids did not know the word"gag" except as possibly puking.  There is no laughter here really, no humor but a sadness about them with the constant Jesus this and that.  And I'm Christian.  Where is the joy in their lives?

You know I never noticed that before. That is what I love about the Bates. They laugh and enjoy life..  We have a Pastor at our Church who brings humor into his sermons . You have to have humor no matter how religious you are..

• Love 8