Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E21: Integrity

No good can come from this. How much do you want to be that Haley's dream job is going under and she is forever stuck living with her parents. 

Edited by readster

I enjoyed it all. Loved the comic timing

I did too. It wasn't the MF of olden days but it was still good.

What did the principal say when Claire mentioned Luke? Something like "is that the class hamster?". I just know it cracked me up. Poor Luke.

I'm glad it didn't get emotional about whether or not they would adopt again. There was enough of that the first time around. I would have preferred Mitch and Cam getting a kid instead of Gloria getting pregnant.

• Love 1

So much stupid there, but I still enjoyed it. Phil letting the castle fly off on the road was akin to Michael driving into a lake on The Office. That's when his character turned from loveable dufas to complete moron. And that kid didn't put his car in park?

• Love 1

Claire was being pretty awful, but I admit it, I loved when the principle noted that Claire was trying to bribe for an award about integrity. 

I snorted when the baby ended up tangled in the WELL balloon. Then I snorted a few more times.

Glad Cam and Mitch didn't go on too much about wanting anther baby, but now it looks like Lily might be wanting a little brother or sister soon. Her and the baby were cute. 

• Love 1

Cam: Got any Queens?

Lily: Yeah, two big ones.

Cam: Okay, that was funny the first time, but now it's starting to get a little mean.

Loved that exchange.

Also loved Alex's continued acceptance speeches during the credits.

• Love 8
Glad Cam and Mitch didn't go on too much about wanting anther baby, but now it looks like Lily might be wanting a little brother or sister soon. Her and the baby were cute.

Given the looks that Cam and Mitchell independently gave Lily and Joe playing together I imagine the baby issue will be revisited.

I did like that they showed Haley was looking to her future and was realistic about her job and realized that the nature of the business she has to put up with bullshit in order to get where she wants to go and that she is dedicated to the job.

• Love 5

I was actually happy they were revisiting Mitchell and Cam adopting another baby again. I hope they at least go that route than Phil and Claire (I've lived in fear of it ever since that treacly "five year plan" episode).

The payoff with the "Well" balloon was hilarious, as was "What baby can destroy a house in two minutes?"

I wish there were a such thing as "sudden de-aging syndrome," as I'd use it on both Luke and Manny. A sudden recast with more adolescent-looking actors. Seriously, they both look like they've been held back several years in high school (maybe believable with Luke, but Manny...not so much).

• Love 2

I wish there were a such thing as "sudden de-aging syndrome," as I'd use it on both Luke and Manny. A sudden recast with more adolescent-looking actors. Seriously, they both look like they've been held back several years in high school (maybe believable with Luke, but Manny...not so much).

Along with this, I find Nolan Gould's trouble with pronunciation quite distracting.  He was always hard to understand when he was younger (I would affectionately refer to him as 'Marble Mouth') but now that he is older, instead of having an easier time with saying his lines, he seems to still be struggling and he over-pronounces them word-by-word and it always takes me out of the scene. 

• Love 6

Along with this, I find Nolan Gould's trouble with pronunciation quite distracting.  He was always hard to understand when he was younger (I would affectionately refer to him as 'Marble Mouth') but now that he is older, instead of having an easier time with saying his lines, he seems to still be struggling and he over-pronounces them word-by-word and it always takes me out of the scene. 

I know, the kid can graduate high school in real life four years early but he can't go see a speech coach? He has a very hard time enunciating his words, he doesn't have a lisp or anything and he isn't overly loud but man, the guy really talks weird. 

• Love 3

The payoff with the "Well" balloon was hilarious, as was "What baby can destroy a house in two minutes?"

Both great jokes.

I really liked this ep. I love how things all tied together.

Haley's boss cracks me up. Leaving the restaurant because the line was too short. Wanting Haley to put seed on his lawn so he could run thru the birds. Treating Haley like an orange cone and then calling her a cone. Just hilarious lines with a great performance by Urie.

I also loved Manny and Luke's fight. Again, great lines.

I wasn't too thrilled with the lengths Claire went thru to get Luke an award although it fits with her character. It was nice seeing Andy Daly whose show Review is so funny.

Joe wreaking havoc was great. I was almost as upset as Cam and Mitchell when he got purple paint on the couch and then dropped the glass bowl. The fact that there were stories behind these objects gave weight to their fates.

• Love 3

I was kind of hoping Lily was coaching Joe on all the destruction because she enjoyed being an only child, and was manipulating her dads, but I guess not. Really would prefer no one has any more babies either.

Edited by Julie23
  • Love 1

This show could use some new blood, but another baby would kill it. My hope with this storyline is that Cam and Mitch realize they want a sibling for Lily, but they know they can't handle a baby again. So they adopt an older child (one who can act).

Edited by Thog
  • Love 8

Haley's boss cracks me up. Leaving the restaurant because the line was too short. Wanting Haley to put seed on his lawn so he could run thru the birds. Treating Haley like an orange cone and then calling her a cone. Just hilarious lines with a great performance by Urie.

Urie is extremely funny but dear Lord, the man should be committed. He brings "hipster" to a very scary level about things and while he might have made big waves with his designs and ideas. He is Cuckoo for Cocopuffs. Have I worked for bosses and managers that have a very weird and almost insane view of how to run a business or department? Oh yes trust me, including one that should have been fired by the head of admin several times. However, if I had one that did this to me I be: "Yeah, good bye." 

I thought the Cam/Mitch story was....pretty awful.  Wooden acting, cliched script idea, bad writing the "Are we almost having the conversation...." blah blah blah not once but twice, just didn't like it.  Seemed like something out of sitcom writing 101

Haley's boss as bad as he was turned out to be the most interesting thing about this episode. 

As for the Jay story......again seemed contrived.  COuldn't they just say "we had trouble bringing it home, it fell off, we'll have to fix it"  or.......given how these families have large amounts of disposable income, couldn't they just buy another castle if that one breaks? 

Alex was an insufferable little twit and Luke's story just was not that interesting. 

Edited by DrSpaceman
  • Love 3

I really hope Cameron and Mitchell don't have another kid, because they're such awful parents. If you let a 2-year-old run around your house, knowing that he raises hell, and you don't even watch him - and you leave all your expensive, breakable things out? They never should have adopted a kid in the first place, let alone be considering another one.

I couldn't stand Alex in the final segment, either. You'd think her classmates would start acting like a mob of torch-wielding villagers.

Edited by Blakeston
  • Love 3

I really hope Cameron and Mitchell don't have another kid, because they're such awful parents. If you let a 2-year-old run around your house, knowing that he raises hell, and you don't even watch him - and you leave all your expensive, breakable things out? They never should have adopted a kid in the first place, let alone be considering another one.

I couldn't stand Alex in the final segment, either. You'd think her classmates would start acting like a mob of torch-wielding villagers.

That's the thing I mean they act like they never had a baby in the house to begin with. Sure Lily is older now but the way they get these expensive things and then just leave ways for them to be damaged or destroyed. They come off as morons and you think by now Alex would realize her superior attitude isn't going to get her anywhere in life unless she is going to have Haley's boss's type of company. 

• Love 4

I did too. It wasn't the MF of olden days but it was still good.

I did too, but the episodes this season have been so bad, so....

I liked the family interaction - it's what makes this show work.  I could do with less Claire.  I also liked the little twist at the end, when Gloria brought out the pirate flag and black paint and Claire had already ordered the Ms. PacMan game for Phil.  I also liked Joey's destruction of Mitch and Cam's place.   And then,at the end when they have pretty much decided not to adopt again,they look over at Lily playing quietly with Joe.

Its no wonder Alex is not well liked when she acts that way. 

Terrible episode, with a few funny lines.

Claire was the worst, first trying to bribe the principal so her special snowflake gets an award? Ugh, she's probably one of these "trophies for everyone!" parents. Awards have to be earned, who wants one that mommy had to buy for you? And then she manipulated circumstances so the other kid wouldn't get the award? Gawd, what a horrible person. (And it is irrelevant that the award was considered nerdy, she didn't know that).

Then Cam and Mitchell, why do they have an expensive designer white couch? Who does that? Sure, I get that they want nice things, but nobody puts a white couch (much less an expensive designer one) in a room for everyday use. That's for when you have a "good" living room and then a family room for your kids. Same with fancy crystal bowls with sentimental value. Only stupid people have these things around a toddler.

The castle plot was fine, it could have stayed pink and princessy, really. But Jay is old school, so I get that he wants a boyish boy.

Was good to,see Haley acknowledging that she has to pay the price for some bad decisions and that she also has to pay her dues to get somewhere at her job. I really hope that her boss doesn't suddenly discover her hidden genius and make her his new featured designer or some nonsense. Because working hard at a shit job is part of life when you're young. It comes back to earning your rewards.

I have no issue with Alex being smug about her accomplishments. God knows, no one in her family seems to be proud of her or brags about her. Until they do, she has to do it herself.

• Love 7

I was actually happy they were revisiting Mitchell and Cam adopting another baby again. I hope they at least go that route than Phil and Claire (I've lived in fear of it ever since that treacly "five year plan" episode).

Its no wonder Alex is not well liked when she acts that way. 

In fairness, I've never been to an academic awards ceremony where the recipients gave speeches. And certainly not for every single award. It was just a joke about acceptance speeches. That said, they really lost the thread of Alex as pressured, overworked AP student, didn't they.

The last awards ceremony I was at was dominated by sports awards anyway. Everything else seemed like an afterthought. 

I have no issue with Alex being smug about her accomplishments. God knows, no one in her family seems to be proud of her or brags about her. Until they do, she has to do it herself.

If she continues rubbing her academic success in her peers' faces like that, she won't have anyone in her life but her family. It's one thing to be proud of yourself, it's another thing to be antagonistic.

This episode reminded me of when Alex nearly gave a valedictorian speech complaining about how her classmates never bothered getting to know her. Maybe they do know her, and just don't like her.

Edited by Blakeston
  • Love 7

If she continues rubbing her academic success in her peers' faces like that, she won't have anyone in her life but her family. It's one thing to be proud of yourself, it's another thing to be antagonistic.

This episode reminded me of when Alex nearly gave a valedicatorian speech complaining about how her classmates never bothered getting to know her. Maybe they do know her, and just don't like her.

That's exactly it, when Alex rubs it in people's faces like that she is getting the opposite reaction of what she wants. If she didn't do that type of superior complex, she would be fine. That has been a large standing of her character from the getgo like with Haley's high school attitude on things. They both need to grow up and realize that isn't going to get them anywhere in life. Of course look who their parents are. 

• Love 3

Then Cam and Mitchell, why do they have an expensive designer white couch? Who does that? Sure, I get that they want nice things, but nobody puts a white couch (much less an expensive designer one) in a room for everyday use. That's for when you have a "good" living room and then a family room for your kids. Same with fancy crystal bowls with sentimental value. Only stupid people have these things around a toddler.

There was an earlier episode that featured the couch and what a bad idea it was to get it.  It's been like Chekhov's gun.

Nolan Gould is taller than Julie Bowen!

Alex is still the most neglected kid in sitcom-land.

It was dumb the way Jay and Gloria kept saying "Joe's going to be here in 20 minutes" "He's almost here". So what if the castle wasn't ready by then? He is a toddler. It's not like he was an adult who they were throwing a surprise birthday party for. 

• Love 2

I thought the Cam/Mitch story was....pretty awful. Wooden acting, cliched script idea, bad writing the "Are we almost having the conversation...." blah blah blah not once but twice, just didn't like it. Seemed like something out of sitcom writing 101

Haley's boss as bad as he was turned out to be the most interesting thing about this episode.

As for the Jay story......again seemed contrived. COuldn't they just say "we had trouble bringing it home, it fell off, we'll have to fix it" or.......given how these families have large amounts of disposable income, couldn't they just buy another castle if that one breaks?

Alex was an insufferable little twit and Luke's story just was not that interesting.

I really don't understand using the word contrived in a scripted, fictional sitcom.

Isn't everything on these types of shows contrived by the writers?

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 4

I really don't understand using the word contrived in a scripted, fictional sitcom.

Isn't everything on these types of shows contrived by the writers?

Sure it all is, but some more so than others. 

One episode of the Simpsons is Bart as the "I didn't do it kid".  Thats his catchprase on the krusty show.  Something bad happens and he says "I didn't do it" everyone laughs.  At one point they do a skit where Krusty put an expensive vase on top of a ladder in front of a door, Bart opens the door, hits the ladder, vase falls, he says "I didn't do it".  No one is going to put a vase on top of a ladder in front of a door.  It would serve no purpose, its asking for trouble.  An obvious spoof on catchphrases and the type of contrived thing some shows go to for the easy laugh

The white couch here is the vase in the I didn't do it skit.  I actually wouldn't have minded much if they didn't already do an episode where it was ruined because of a friend that comes and sleeps on it.  But now they appartenly get it cleaned and invite a small boy over to the house, don't cover it or move it or anything......what did they expect to happen?   Its a WHITE couch. 

And to top it all off, they had another plot revolving around pretty much the exact same idea way back early in the season one or two, they spill a juice box on some white furnishing during a play date.  You'd think they would learn

Not only that though, but the dialogue in those scenes and acting......Cam picks up Joe and barely sways back and forth a few times "Isn't this fun dancing".........no, you are barely dancing, you don't look like you are having much fun, despite what you are saying. 

I just didn't like that story at all, even beyond the "will they /won't they" kid aspect.  And obviously they will

• Love 1

Ugh those awards ceremonies. Every year the whole school has to sit through them. Nice for the high-achievers, not so great for the quiet, lost-in-the-crowd types like one of my kids.

• Love 1

I thought the Mitch/Cam story was making fun of all those people who romanticize having a baby but really don't have the personalities for parenting. As such, I liked it. If they had never shown the couch before, it would have seemed even more contrived. But since it's established that the two of them are like that, it made some sense. Yes, they were acting stupid to invite a toddler over and then not supervise him, and without even childproofing the house first even moreso. I thought that was the point: they're stupid, like so many idiots who think babies are cute accessories, and romanticize the whole affair. They both claimed to have been thinking about it a lot, but neither of them thought about it for 2 seconds before actually letting Joe loose around the breakables.

I was relieved that Claire was not in fact trying to step on Phil's whimsy, because while I have no interest in Ms Pac Man, I am tired of seeing the "strict wife treats husband like a child and he defies her wishes to prove that he's a man." I like that Claire and Phil are basically a perfect match and very compatible, but I don't know why he was so defensive and leaping to the worst conclusions, because they've always been shown to have a similar sense of fun.

Likewise, I appreciated Gloria and Jay being on the same page, even though I despise the gender-normative values they both seem to subscribe to. Jay saying he was scared seemed out of character, though.

I honestly was surprised that Lily liked Joe. Didn't she used to hate him, and wasn't she previously trying to sabotage him by framing him for her misdeeds, because she was jealous over him being the new "baby" of the family? I guess she outgrew that, but we didn't really see it evolving.

It's just not funny how they treat Alex. Especially after they did an episode where she went to therapy and was sobbing to Claire, you'd think they'd change direction and show at least Claire having a new outlook on her daughter.

Haley's self-awareness took me by surprise, but then she's always been stealth-insightful. maybe this is why she's intersted in the nanny instead of chasing another brainless hunk type, too.

I agree Nolan needs to get speech therapy. I was surprised Luke seemed to want to protect Manny, but I kind of liked it that they are more and more friends than competitors.

The show's not genius, but I don't think it's trying to be anymore (if it ever was). It's just kind of a steady-state sitcom that churns out a predictably consistent product every week. Like the only higher rated comedy on TV (Big Bang Theory) it's more just "comfortingly" (or annoyingly) itself than inspiring or brilliant or revelatory in any way.

• Love 1

I know, the kid can graduate high school in real life four years early but he can't go see a speech coach? He has a very hard time enunciating his words, he doesn't have a lisp or anything and he isn't overly loud but man, the guy really talks weird.

I'm genuinely curious at this point what his problem is. Like you said, he doesn't have a lisp. It's not an accent. It's like he has trouble controlling his tongue or something.

Cam and Mitch are clueless and not in a funny way. They are terrible parents. No more babies for them, please. Or any of the families.

• Love 3

What did the principal say when Claire mentioned Luke? Something like "is that the class hamster?". I just know it cracked me up. Poor Luke.

"Is that the science rabbit?"

And that kid didn't put his car in park?

Exactly what I said.

I wanted to see the Ms. Pac Man game!

I thought the Mitch/Cam story was making fun of all those people who romanticize having a baby but really don't have the personalities for parenting. As such, I liked it. If they had never shown the couch before, it would have seemed even more contrived. But since it's established that the two of them are like that, it made some sense. Yes, they were acting stupid to invite a toddler over and then not supervise him, and without even childproofing the house first even moreso. I thought that was the point: they're stupid, like so many idiots who think babies are cute accessories, and romanticize the whole affair. They both claimed to have been thinking about it a lot, but neither of them thought about it for 2 seconds before actually letting Joe loose around the breakables.

That's the problem, though - that they made Cam and Mitch out to be complete idiots who knew nothing about raising a small child, even though they already raised one.

And I really hate that they're depicting a gay couple as people who want a baby as an accessory. That's an extremely damaging stereotype about gay parents - that they have no clue what they're doing, and they just want a baby for narcissistic reasons. And that's exactly how this show is depicting Cameron and Mitchell.

I think they're being pretty realistic (as far a sitcom can be) about Cam and Mitch thinking about another child. Lily is old enough that they don't have to worry about her getting into things she shouldn't (like paint on the couch), so they get some nice things. Then they start thinking about another child, forgetting what a young child will mean to their household.  Then they see Lily playing sweetly with Joe, who has finally become interesting enough for her, and think again about getting another child. That's not really different from how straight couples often act.

• Love 6

Although Claire has some funny moments I generally just can't take her.  All up in arms because Luke doesn't get an award?  Bribing the principal and framing a student?  All right then.  And then the overreaction when Alex and Luke came home to Luke's award and nothing for Alex's award (and it's a mystery why Claire wasn't at the awards assembly as any school that I've worked at has invited the parents of the awards recipients to those assemblies).  The character Claire consistently bothers me more than the other characters.

• Love 1

I think they're being pretty realistic (as far a sitcom can be) about Cam and Mitch thinking about another child. Lily is old enough that they don't have to worry about her getting into things she shouldn't (like paint on the couch), so they get some nice things. Then they start thinking about another child, forgetting what a young child will mean to their household.  Then they see Lily playing sweetly with Joe, who has finally become interesting enough for her, and think again about getting another child. That's not really different from how straight couples often act.

Lily was a toddler just a few years ago. It's one thing for them to forget just how much of a handful toddlers can be - it's another thing to not bother monitoring one when you know he's running around your house destroying things.

Although Claire has some funny moments I generally just can't take her.

I HATE Claire.  How obnoxious, and actually mean, when she bumped the kid's car into the handicapped spot. I didn't find it funny at all.

Also, Julie Bowen, please eat a sandwich.  You are now at the point of being too skinny.  (Yes, there is that point.)

I'm sticking with the show for the time being, but it is approaching being dropped, and a show has to get really bad for me to drop it.

• Love 1

I don't see the issue?

Nolan and Rico are 16, playing high school sophomores. They're basically the same age as their characters.

• Love 2

Wow, seriously? I had no idea. I apologize -- I thought it was one of those "20 year-olds playing kids" situations. To me, they're both quite mature-sounding (and looking) for 16.

It's just not funny how they treat Alex. Especially after they did an episode where she went to therapy and was sobbing to Claire, you'd think they'd change direction and show at least Claire having a new outlook on her daughter.

Please...

You make it sound like they're bastardizing her. Phil and Claire treat her like any normal parents would, and give just as much care to her as they do to Haley and Luke. See how Claire reacted and tried to make up for it (unnecessarily) when she noticed how blase Alex was being despite getting into Cal Tech? Treating her like a special snowflake won't help with her bratty attitude.

Personally, I think the issue lies with the actress and her limited acting abilities. Pretty much all the child actors on this show are mediocre at best.

• Love 1