Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E19: Because

Episode Synopsis:

Wrestling with whether or not to tell Elena about the cure, Damon brings up their future together and what life would be like if they weren’t vampires. Meanwhile, it’s all hands on deck when attempts to stop a humanity-free Caroline doesn’t go as planned. Elsewhere, when Bonnie discovers that Damon has betrayed her trust, she takes matters into her own hands, setting off a chain of events that leaves Damon dealing with the fallout. Lastly, after being forced to face his traumatic past, Enzo sets out for answers and is surprised when he learns the truth about the day he was turned into a vampire.

Bonnie and Caroline giving Damon and Stefan grief was excellent.

Damon and Elena rehash their relationship again - whatever.

Another emo guilt ridden vampire who has no problem torturing her children - whatever.  Lily can exit stage left anytime now.

Liz Forbes was a good mother, and a good person.

• Love 3

I feel like these episodes are getting worse. The only people I care about on the show now are Bonnie, Matt and Kai and one of them technically isn't even on it anymore. Caroline is an asshole now. That's all I've got.

• Love 5

Damn, Bonnie. I was convinced she'd fold the second Damon mentioned his mom threatened to destroy the cure. Lol, nope! She looked like she barely gave a fuck if Elena ever got the cure. Bonnie even played Damon's innate selfishness against him-that was some Jedi mind trick realness.

The rest of the episode was... Okay?

I did like Matt working with Bonnie and it's always good to see Liz.

• Love 5

So Elena was just ok with Damon hiding the cure at the end there? He's still whining that human Elena chose Stefan, so that's his reasoning behind choosing to make the cure decision for her and withhold it. His selfishness is ok to her, just like killing her brother. 

Wasn't the cure only enough for one? Damon's not getting no cure, although it would be funny to see him try.

• Love 5

Wasn't the cure only enough for one? Damon's not getting no cure, although it would be funny to see him try.

I would love it if those idiots tried to share the cure and ended up with bloodlust, no immortality, no ability to heal, no strength, and no speed. Just dumb regular people who need blood to survive.

It took long enough, but Matt and Bonnie have stories that I actually want to watch. Unfortunately, the show had to go through a story apocalypse to get there.

slayer2 and steelyis, you pretty much captured my feelings on this episode. I'm not sure how I felt about it. The scenes between Bonnie and Damon were...interesting. I don't see how their friendship will be repaired after Damon's actions actually, that's why he has no friends. 

Oh and Caroline, I could care less about her or her pain. 

• Love 3

My Bamon-loving heart just broke at that last scene between them.  I know the tension won't stay, but that is hard to watch.  Miss Liz, miss who Caroline used to be. Jo can die now.

• Love 1

I thought this was a well written episode that I mostly still hated. Candace made me cry, because she's a very good actress, and I LOVED Bonnie and Lilly fucking over Damon, but God, this season was going so well until it went full bore into Damon/Elena, AND back to fucking over Bonnie. OH and the couldn't even let me enjoy Matt/Bonnie sharing the screen? RME.

• Love 3

I think Elena wasn't so upset, because Damon was clearly working up to tell her.

I only recently started watching this show again, so maybe that's why I'm going against the tide here, but I really enjoyed it. Knowing about the contracts makes me really curious how the season is going to get wrapped up, so I'm pretty invested. I also love anytime I get to see Liz or Bonnie/Damon interactions. The only people that I couldn't care less about in the episode was Alaric and his fiance. I was sad when Alaric died, but I didn't need him to come back.

Thank God the "Caroline & her turned off humanity" plot is over, but I am not looking forward to the apparent "Caroline & her guilt" plot, or the "Enzo & Mama Salvatore eat people" plot.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 3

Warning, includes some swear words:

I haven't commented here for a while so let me just say how stuuuuuupid that "Elena wants to become human" storyline is. Elena was fine with being a vampire, loved it even. Now she is suddenly conflicted again.

Whats the big problem here? Adopt and every 15 years compell yourself a post at a new hospital. Big fucking deal.

And Damon wanting to drink the cure? What a stupid idea is that? They saw what happened to Cathrine only a year ago. They can't possibly have forgotten that soon. Old Vampires age rapidly when they become human. How much time would Damon have? A month maybe? Great life you are going to have there with Elena, Damon.

To the main plot, that was slightly less stupid, but only slightly: You didn't see coming that Caroline was going to destroy that letter? I saw it coming from a mile away and I was shocked that they didn't actually steam it open and replace it with blank paper. Great going assholes, you just cost Caroline her mothers last words, after you made her into a psycho killer. All she asked for was a year, where she wouldn't have to feel, but also wouldn't seriously hurt anybody. You couldn't give her that and now everything is fucked.

I wouldn't even be so pissed if the writers didn't clearly intend for us to be on Stefan's and Elena's side. How bad can you fail at your job?

Crazy psycho ripper mom mainly annoys. Could really do without her, but maybe her friends will be more fun when they eventually get out.

I also don't like how the writers continue to trample on Damon's and Bonnie's friendship. Those two were really fun together and something fun is REALLY needed on this show.

Edited by Miles
  • Love 1

I will lose my shit if Damon's plan is to seek a second (or rather third) dose of the cure in the 1903 world.  As much as I would like to see Kia again, I am super conflicted about that on Bonnie's behalf and I will not forgive this show if Damon is a part of such a major betrayal of Bonnie. I need Bamon's relationship to be repaired, sooner the better.  I can be patient (within reason), but a betrayal like that would be pretty hard to come back from.  And I don't want Bonnie to give in to some manipulation either. 

And Damon wanting to drink the cure? What a stupid idea is that? They saw what happened to Cathrine only a year ago. They can't possibly have forgotten that soon. Old Vampires age rapidly when they become human. How much time would Damon have? A month maybe? Great life you are going to have there with Elena, Damon.

I was thinking the same thing when  the cure was first mentioned again, that only a young vamp could take it.  But I'm not actually sure the aging thing happens with the cure automatically.  Katherine I don't think starting aging until after Silas drained it from her. So I'm not sure whether the aging was a consequence of the cure so much as the cure being removed.

• Love 1

Well that was boring. Such a filler / setting the stones for the finale episode.

We knew Caroline will turn on her humanity again and feel all that guilt.

I just wish everyone left her alone and let her have her one year humanity free, the first episode with her switch flipped was so good because she was Caroline but not exactly. It was also a refreshing twist on the whole humanity switch, because unlike everyone else she had it under control. 

Damon wants to take the cure. Ok.

Is he gonna take it from Elena once she takes it? Or is he going to get the other cure from the 1903 prison world?

I hope he doesn't go up against Bonnie again and asks her to take him there because, she's right about not wanting to let anyone out of that world.

Are they setting up for an Enzo/Lily romance? Or was it just Enzo's glaring? Am I supposed to read into how much he glares?

Bonnie. God bless your heart girl. Never change. I love how she manipulated Damon into not taking the ascendent by knowing exactly what to say and then offering it to him.

Writers, please give Matt something to do. As much as I enjoy him with his shirt off, that was awkward. There was literally nothing else in that scene. Just Matt patching up last week's wound.

I enjoyed Stefan this week. Though he was pretty terrible at pretending that his humanity was on. I can't believe it took Caroline that long.

Edited by raytch
  • Love 2

Well, that was boring. I just sat here for five minutes trying to think of anything interesting that happened in this episode. The show has become so predictable that I feel like I've already watched an episode before I've actually watched it.

While I like that Matt and Bonnie teamed up, why is he making an exception to his "no supernatural friends" policy for her? Is it because witches are allegedly there to keep nature in balance or whatever horseshit it is that the witches spew whenever they get involved in the plot? Honestly, I am fine with Matt finally deciding that being friends with vampires is dangerous and stupid but I just want to clarify his policy on other supernatural beings so I know where his line is.

Enzo may make fun of Damon and Stefan but he is just as pathetic. Last week LIly was the most dreadful person he's ever met and this week he decided loyalty is important so now she's his new BFF. When she was crying about the guy she killed and he said it was okay, all I could think was well, not for that guy or his family and friends, but you go on comforting your poor friend about her latest human snack.

I'm glad we are finally done with this Caroline's humanity switch is flipped story but I am not looking forward to the requisite Caroline feels guilty storyling which will inevitably replace it. I couldn't believe Elena didn't open that envelope and make a copy of it just in case. I thought someone would suggest having Bonnie do a spell to unburn it and piece it back together. You know, because Bonnie is only relevant to the plot when she can fix things for them.

• Love 3

While I like that Matt and Bonnie teamed up, why is he making an exception to his "no supernatural friends" policy for her? Is it because witches are allegedly there to keep nature in balance or whatever horseshit it is that the witches spew whenever they get involved in the plot? Honestly, I am fine with Matt finally deciding that being friends with vampires is dangerous and stupid but I just want to clarify his policy on other supernatural beings so I know where his line is.

Enzo may make fun of Damon and Stefan but he is just as pathetic. Last week LIly was the most dreadful person he's ever met and this week he decided loyalty is important so now she's his new BFF. When she was crying about the guy she killed and he said it was okay, all I could think was well, not for that guy or his family and friends, but you go on comforting your poor friend about her latest human snack.

I think Matt is strictly against vampires now. He doesn't seem to have any issues with either Bonnie or Tyler. Maybe because they're still mortal and primarily human?

I still don't understand what is it exactly that Lily did that made her so bad according to Enzo. I thought we'd get an answer this week especially with him being so twitchy around her at first. But nope. Looks like it's the simple fact that she abandoned him on that ship a hundred years ago. Which is not a very plausible reason as much as a misunderstanding. I mean, it would make sense to think she's a bitch for turning Enzo then abandoning him, but it doesn't make her the most evil person ever!

Am I seeing this the wrong way?

Edited by raytch

No, I was thinking something similar. Before Lily said she and her "family" had been kidnapped the night she turned Enzo, I thought it was irresponsible for her to turn him and then just leave. If I were a vampire, I would not want to set a brand new untrained vampire out in the world because a vampire without impulse control is just going to draw attention which is bad for all vampires. Despite that, it's not the absolute worst thing in the world if she turned him and then chose not to stick around to become BFFs. I know that on TVD we have seen many vampires who were taught about being a vampire by whoever turned them, but on BtVS, there were vamps who just got turned, crawled out of their graves, and went on their vampy way. Again I'm not saying that's the smartest choice if you are going to keep creating new vamps, but not every vamp is going to stick around to hang out. I don't mean to sound callous about it either because I am sure that it must be overwhelming and disorienting to become a vamp and not have any guidance. But Enzo was so dramatic about Lily being the worst person ever that I thought she had killed his puppy or something.

Enzo's a whiny baby much like every other vamp on this show save for Stefan. I agree that giving CrazyCaroline the letter was borderline retarded, but then again you reap what you sow and after her countless murders and turning off Stefan's switch and such she dannwell deserves to come back from it all knowing she destroyed the last vestiges of her mother. Suck it Caroline!....oh wait.

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 1

but then again you reap what you sow and after her countless murders and turning off Stefan's switch

He did that himself, She blackmailed him, yes, but I thought it was amazingly stupid of him not to at least try and pretend at first. So I blame him for that. Caroline shouldn`t expect any sympathy either after what she pulled but Stefan is right there with her for me. And I wouldn`t exclude him from the occassionaly baby-ishness of vampires on this show either. He can be just as bad as any of them.

Why they didn`t grab Caroline at that stupid rave and then try to turn on her emotions in a secure location, I`ll never know. It was a half-assed stunt that put her on the warpath in the first place.

Lily really annoyed me in this episode. She flat-out stated that her old family is of no consequence to her and obsesses over her "new" family of murderous vamp-witches but still kinda acts like her old family should care about her wants. You screw them over, you can expect the same, missy. And sobbing over the guy she killed? Boohoo, nitwit. Enzo must suffer from a bizarre case of Stockholm syndrome with her. 

Why did they develop a friendship between Damon and Bonnie only to trample it into the ground just a few episodes later? What was the point?

And the entire cure storyline as well as "human you might not love me" - fuck you, promo, btw - is just so annoying. I get the necessity of exiting Elena from the story but did they really have to unearth some of the worst parts of Season 4 to do it? That shit got old fast two years ago when it aired for the first time.   

• Love 4

Enzo seems bizarrely forgiving of those who abandon him ie Damon and Lily and yet makes up random vendettas against someone who really has nothing to do with him ie Stefan. His character continues to make no sense.

Seeing Liz was great and Bonnie sticking it to Damon was great.

I don't care about Elena taking the cure and while Damon taking it would have been interesting before, Doing it to be with Elena for true wuv and babies makes me want to gag. Is Stefan no longer considered as a good cure candidate? Surely this genetic ripper thing makes him number 1.

• Love 3

Well that was just awful. I enjoyed two things: seeing Liz again and Bonnie sticking it to Damon. And this comes from someone who LOVED the friendship that was forged when they were both stuck in Kai's prison world. Damn, I miss Kai.

Matt working with Bonnie was nice although too brief (and hey, we saw Pudding Pop nursing his wound aka showing off that bod).

Ya'll know I heart CA and Caroline but am not looking forward to Caroline's inevitable sad cycle since her switch has been turned back on. We may get a few "funny" scenes of her obsessively doing laundry or baking "'I So Sorry" cookies or putting some event together with her mad planning skillz.

I literally could not care less about anything else that happened last night.

Silas got the cure from Katherine from feeding on her. Amara got the cure from Silas from feeding on him. So yes, Damon can 'take' the cure if Elena takes it first and then he feeds on her.

Of course, if anyone else feeds on Damon he would end up like Katherine - rapid ageing and geriatric death.

slayer2 and steelyis, you pretty much captured my feelings on this episode. I'm not sure how I felt about it. The scenes between Bonnie and Damon were...interesting. I don't see how their friendship will be repaired after Damon's actions actually, that's why he has no friends.

What I am hoping for is Elena takes the cure, Bonnie needs saving or help, and Damon finally proves his friendship to Bonnie by saving her instead of taking the cure.  Elena leaves MF, and Damon/Elena are over.

• Love 2

I don't care about Elena taking the cure and while Damon taking it would have been interesting before, Doing it to be with Elena for true wuv and babies makes me want to gag. Is Stefan no longer considered as a good cure candidate? Surely this genetic ripper thing makes him number 1.

I don't get how the Genetic Ripper is possible. I mean, how can you have such a thing as a human? Are they saying that if Lily and later Stefan remained humans they would have been serial killers?

The bloodlust only comes with being a vampire, so how come they both ended up as rippers?

I'm wondering if the show expects us to just go with this or if they plan on expanding this idea.

Katherine turned Stefan and she was no ripper even though she was around for 500 years.

We don't know who turned Lily yet but still... I wonder how this can be explained

BY THE WAY

I am still calling on Katherine being in a prison world. They could bring her back in a different body since she died as a traveler. Wouldn't that be fun?

I remember when she died in season 5, it was made clear that she never crossed to the Other Side, and was sucked elsewhere.

Edited by raytch
  • Love 1

Sorry "genetic ripper" is my lazy short hand for something innate within Stefan which he can't help! It makes no sense at all really. On the face of it, Stefan doesn't seem like serial killer material, what with him being pure of heart. However he's a loner and a victim of sexual abuse (by Katherine) and his dad never seemed particularly kind. Maybe he would have been tipped over the edge as a human.... How momma Salvatore fits in, no idea.

Katherine coming back is possible, although not something I would wish for. I loved Katherine prior to S5. Bringing back characters never goes well on TVD, see Alaric, Enzo etc. Plus it would be difficult for another actress to pull off Nina Dobrev's awesomeness.

• Love 1

I beg to differ. Katherine was one of the few bright spots for me in season 5. I liked her transition to human though you're right, the part with Nadia and The Elena Highjack could have been spared.

Also the casting department of The Originals has done a great job with bringing new people as old characters. So maybe just maybe they might do a good job with Katherine (assuming it's the same crew).

I agree about Enzo though. I don't mind Alaric being back to human I just wish he was more integrated into the main plot and had more stuff to do.

• Love 1

I've always felt that Ripperism has been presented as a supernatural version of alcoholism, in a way. Stefan is a blood addict -- what most vampires can (and need to) drink is enough to satiate them, but Stefan can't stop. And when in the throes of addiction, he goes too far in his drinking and ends up killing. I think Damon even said once that Stefan "blacks out" when feeding (in Ripper-state but humanity switch still on) and comes to to find what he's done (and gets so guilty he tries to piece his victims back together). I totally can believe that there is some kind of genetic predilection in the family that, if the individual is turned into a vampire, makes the person/vampire not react "correctly" to blood. There's been debate about whether alcoholism is genetic for ages.

So, if we were to remove the driving imperative to drink blood, the conclusion is that Stefan and Lily, removed from their fundamental need for blood, would have nothing left to be addicted to. There aren't a lot of humans who want to drink blood and none that need to. The fact that Stefan and Lily cannot give up blood entirely is what keeps them on the edge.

(I have a lot of thoughts on this. Plus I recently found out that I'm a carrier for a gene that, long story short, means that I or my children could react badly to a certain anesthetic. But said anesthetic is used for a specific purpose and there's a good chance I could go my entire life without it ever being a problem. I would have to be in a very specific situation. Stefan, to me, is in a certain situation that specifically triggers a problem that would otherwise lie dormant forever.)

During the episode I actually enjoyed the Stefan/Caroline scenes but I guess I just feel they play well off each other. I got annoyed at Jo and Alaric at the end though when they persuaded Stefan to go back to check in on Caroline despite what he said. First of all, he said as much that he knew what she was going through and what wouldn't help. Second, I get this feeling like Alaric and Jo are trying very much to be the grownups that match their upcoming marriage and child, which I get, but I wish for once they'd remembered that they were dealing with a guy who was alive before their grandparents walked the earth. Show some respect to your elders, kids.

• Love 3

I agree that the Ripper "trait" is more a consequence of an addictive personality than it is of vampirism. So if neither Stefan or his mom became a vampire, they would have most likely been addicted to something else like drugs, alcohol, or sex. We kind of see that a bit with Stefan using whiskey or whatever brown stuff he's always drinking to take off the edge from wanting more blood.

Edited by luckyroll3

Pinkribbons, you have a very good point there.

From what I've seen, people who have an alcohol / drugs / anything else addiction have an abuse problem. Drug addicts can fall into becoming alcoholic or sex addicts once they stop drugs. Or vice versa. The only way they finally come through is when they understand exactly what causes their need to consume things the way they do and overcome it.

In that case it makes sense for both Lily and Stefan to be rippers or genetic rippers, since blood is their primarily substance. If they were human they could have ended up addicts on something else (alcohol, sex, love, drugs etc etc etc)

Usually people with substance abuse problems can transmit this to their kids. I don't know if it's been proven to be genetic. But some psychological studies show that any kind of trauma can be transmitted from its source to 3 generations. So, if you suffer from an abuse problem or some sort of fear, your children and your grandchildren might have it as well.

This would actually make Stefan's arc all the more interesting. I doubt the writers will go to such depths though!

• Love 1

I was thinking the same thing when  the cure was first mentioned again, that only a young vamp could take it.  But I'm not actually sure the aging thing happens with the cure automatically.  Katherine I don't think starting aging until after Silas drained it from her. So I'm not sure whether the aging was a consequence of the cure so much as the cure being removed.

I rewatched that dreadful season with the cure, and the Augustine professor guy at Whitmore told Katherine that the cure more or less caused her to "catch up" to her age.  It could be that Silas feeding on her caused it, but it was never (to my recollection) stated outright.

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 2

Good enough for a set up episode. Things this episode accomplished.

1. Solidified Bonnie as half of what is making this season great. 

2. Made me Miss Bonnie's other half even more.

3. Made me somewhat care for Steroline.

4. Continued to prove that the show will survive without Elena.

5. Why Liz is the best parent this show ever had.

6. Damon will never be that great of a long term friend.

Hope next episode gives us more #BonKai scenes. 

During the episode I actually enjoyed the Stefan/Caroline scenes but I guess I just feel they play well off each other. I got annoyed at Jo and Alaric at the end though when they persuaded Stefan to go back to check in on Caroline despite what he said. First of all, he said as much that he knew what she was going through and what wouldn't help. Second, I get this feeling like Alaric and Jo are trying very much to be the grownups that match their upcoming marriage and child, which I get, but I wish for once they'd remembered that they were dealing with a guy who was alive before their grandparents walked the earth. Show some respect to your elders, kids.

I thought your ideas on Ripperism were great.

Jo and Alaric also annoyed me. I mean how patronising. Stefan knows Caroline best plus he understands the come down from having no humanity (again this works with the drink/drugs analogy). I used to really like that Alaric being an adult along with Damon and Liz. He seems to have lost that a bit and trying to reestablish this is a bit weird.

In my more uncharitable moments, I imagine that Jo got pregnant to trap Alaric as she's pushing 40 and has some serious family/witch baggage. She’s a doctor, maybe she skipped the family planning module!

Edited by Jads
  • Love 1

There is one thing with MamaSalvatore being a ripper that continues to annoy the hell out of me.  Stefan is only a ripper when his switch is flipped.  Does that mean Lily's humanity is off?  If that's the problem, why not just do what they do to everyone who flips the switch and torture the crap out of her until she feels all the feels again?! 

As I understand it, Stefan is a ripper regardless, which is why he was abstaining from drinking human blood altogether, because he can't control his bloodlust. 

It is the guilt he feels after kiling/ripping that makes him put their bodies back together,which suggests humanity on,  and during his vamp life he has flipped his humanity off to cope with the overwhelming guilt he feels and continue on his ripper spress guilt free.

No humanity Stefan is much like any other vamp as far as I can tell nowadays, since he has learned a measure of control ,(although we never really saw that much play out on screen).

Anyhow, this was definitely an episode for the NO pile for me. So many nonsensical things were said and done this episode that they took me right out of the story.

The gang continues to be separated into little groups, with no interaction or dialogue between the little groups, except for Damon and Elena who seem to rotate between all the various factions except for Enzo, who is only allowed to act with one person at a time lol,

One positive, Caroline is switched on again. I don't think I could have taken another minute of her like that, it was so annoying.

Edited by miss-vanilla

I love Bonnie.  I love that she's finally standing up and taking no shit.  Good for her.  How much pain and suffering has she endured for these people?!  Why are these writers taking something they built so well over the season, like the Damon/Bonnie friendship, and continue to wreck it these last few episodes?  Anytime you see Damon and Bonnie, it is all Damon asking for something awful from Bonnie.  Every. Time.  

Aw, Matt.  I always worry for team human and he's really on a short list.  (shallow) That said, big ups for the shirtless goodness. Matt isn't my type, but I have functioning eyes, so hhheeeeyyyy.  (/shallow)

Since I'm a sucker for pretty, I'm not as finished with Enzo as many of you are.  I found his tenderness with Lily at the end quite lovely.  See?  I'm a sucker. I do like that this Sarah stuff seems done and he's back into one of the main storylines.  I feel like that is where he works best...not his own, random s/l.

Man, Plec shows do not do well by moms at all.  Lily is just the worst!  "Yeah, I'm not sure how many times I have to tell you ppl, but you mean jack shit to me."

Ah.  The cure.  I hated this stuff a couple of seasons ago and I hate it now.  Blah blah blah.  Just drink it and go to Tribeca, honey.

Matt doesn't have a no supernatural friends policy - he has a no vampire friends policy - which was made quite clear in the last episode when he and Tyler faced off against Caroline and Stefan, and then he later on rejected Elena's blood. He doesn't have a problem with Tyler or Bonnie.

There's also the little matter of people like Bonnie, Tyler and formerly Jeremy who are supernatural but don't randomly run around switching off their humanity, killing people and acting like nothing ever happened. Elena, Damon, Stephan and Caroline have done that in the past and -- well, didn't really give a care after a few weeks (aka a single episode.) 

I love Bonnie.  I love that she's finally standing up and taking no shit.  Good for her.  How much pain and suffering has she endured for these people?!  Why are these writers taking something they built so well over the season, like the Damon/Bonnie friendship, and continue to wreck it these last few episodes?  Anytime you see Damon and Bonnie, it is all Damon asking for something awful from Bonnie.  Every. Time.

As a Bonnie fan I have waited years for this. No more randomly calling Bonnie to cast a spell and then threatening her if she doesn't want to. Her time in the past has changed her for the better. Bonnie sacrificed her freedom and magic the first time around to keep her friends safe. The sheer fact that Damon even bothered to ask her to take her back again after knowing what Kai did or what those people left over there could do is silly. How did he expect any other kind of response? A few years ago he would have rushed her and taken the ascendant or threatened her.  Not anymore!  Bonnie is clearly not going to take that from anyone if she can help it. She's also incredibly savvy and knew what to say to get Damon out of her face without having to do anything physical. 

Now let her guest on the Originals and show those witches what a real witch can do. 

• Love 3