Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E06: Week 6: Spring Break

• Start Topic

I would have preferred any of the bottom 4 except Patti tonight.  It sort of sucks that the two mature women get the boot one right after the other.She was the one legit star with a pedigree.

Edited by Andiethewestie
  • Love 2

I think Erin is jealous of Kym and Robert. When Erin was on with Maks, they were covered by the mainstream tabloids and blogs consistently much to their dissatisfaction. Other then one or two articles on TMZ when Robert & Kym started the season, the media has been relatively hands off. Every season Erin gets a little too maniac about whatever couple is showmancing. Even if it's producer encouraged, she blows past the point of appropriate.

Have the producers decided to say eff it and let the elimanated star dance first every night? Patti certainly had a facial expression that said she knew she was leaving when Tom announced she was dancing first.

Next week I would like to see Noah & Chris leave. Noah is starting to sound as whiny as Amy did near the end of the season. Even if it is just a 5-minute package from all the rehearshals, his social media presence seems like it's starting to reflect his whininess. Chris because he's a doofus and I'd rather see Robert dance more.

Edited by Saylii
  • Love 1

Exactly. Here Julianne went in and gave them a very low score considering what Chris, Noah, Patti and Robert all got but her main complaint was you danced to Bootylicious in a way that suited the character of the song. Its not like she has never been given a song (Jesse's Girl) and a dance (Tango) and found that to make it work she had to play up to the song or anything. Rumer/Val were in a bad place. Rumer would have shined with something jazzier to show off her real skills but she got jazz and Bootylicious so Beyoncé poses, booty popping and raunch it is. Len and the other judges weren't really wrong but its not like Rumer could have gotten her Fosse on to Destiny's Child.

But Julianne did not really focus on the raunch if I remember correctly, that was more Len. Her issue was that Rumer did a lot more posing than dancing and in my opinion, she was right. That choreography was average at best and Val can and has done better. And no, I don't buy the Bootylicious thing so "well what else could they do". Sure, throw in a Beyonce pose or two here and there but try coming up with a better concept, a better costume for Rumer because that one did her no favors and think outside the box than the obvious "oh well it's Bootylicious and Jazz" so she'll just be the sexy girl and I'll run around her. I refuse to buy that this was the best Val could do with that song.

It's funny to me the comments about Derek not choreographing to Nastia's strength which I disagree with because in my opinion, Val is the one who failed and phoned it in tonight with Rumer. Girl has had one speed and he gets a song he struggled with so he just decides to put her in skimpy outfit and having her walk around and do sexy pose and sexy strut here and there and call it a dance. And honestly I found her character in the Team Dance predictable and boring as well. 

At this point I think like we get it, Rumer is sexy and a badass, something else please? Like I said last week, everyone will harp on Nastia's not being the warmest and sunniest personality and connection, connection but nothing about the fact that we've seen one mode and one personality from Rumer - sexy, intense and badass. 

None of the judges have said this, but one problem with Derek and Nastia's tangos is that, they are supposed to have body contact during the dance.

That's exactly why I said something about her upper body was bothering me in the dance but the judges say nothing about that and instead it's "you two don't connect" and Len says the dance had one speed even though the song didn't even have one speed so that makes less sense. The song, like many EDM songs, started with a slow thumping beat and built into the more dramatic music yet Len says there was no slow and fast in the dance and it was all one speed. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3

But Julianne did not really focus on the raunch if I remember correctly, that was more Len. Her issue was that Rumer did a lot more posing than dancing and in my opinion, she was right. That choreography was average at best and Val can and has done better. And no, I don't buy the Bootylicious thing so "well what else could they do". Sure, throw in a Beyonce pose or two here and there but try coming up with a better concept, a better costume for Rumer because that one did her no favors and think outside the box than the obvious "oh well it's Bootylicious and Jazz" so she'll just be the sexy girl and I'll run around her. I refuse to buy that this was the best Val could do with that song.

It's funny to me the comments about Derek not choreographing to Nastia's strength which I disagree with because in my opinion, Val is the one who failed and phoned it in tonight with Rumer. Girl has had one speed and he gets a song he struggled with so he just decides to put her in skimpy outfit and having her walk around and do sexy pose and sexy strut here and there and call it a dance. And honestly I found her character in the Team Dance predictable and boring as well.

At this point I think like we get it, Rumer is sexy and a badass, something else please? Like I said last week, everyone will harp on Nastia's not being the warmest and sunniest personality and connection, connection but nothing about the fact that we've seen one mode and one personality from Rumer - sexy, intense and ba ass.

It may because sexy intense badass plays better for partner dancing than cold and remote.

I would like to see Rumer do something romantic, keeping the sexy with less badass.

Edited by gohawks
  • Love 2

I have not watched DWTS as a whole since they brought in Julianne as a judge. That was and still is some complete bullshit.

Then the fact they keep letting her family members dance and she gets to score those dances and I am like hell to the no.

Until they get rid of her and Carrie Anne I will continue to not watch.

• Love 6

It's a toss-up for me regarding the team dances. Other seasons, I've watched and had a definite opinion about which one I liked better, but not this time. 

Team YOLO had more cohesiveness, I felt, especially with the typical "team dance" section that Derek likes to utilize, which we saw at the end. Say what you will about it, I think it looks cool when they're all in sync like that. I thought it was a fun dance overall. But I wouldn't say it wow'ed me enormously.

Team Trouble, on the other hand, had lots of fun individual couple performances and impressive dancing, but I did wish they had something more that they all did together and I felt that while the concept was clever, I wished they would have played up the "troublemakers" versus the "nerds" or the "jocks" more within the dance. I didn't think they really showed their concept (except for when Miss Patti was in charge). Especially if they were going "Breakfast Club" crossed over with "Grease," there's lots of group dancing in Grease, so I wish they had done more with that. But it was still fun to watch, and everyone gave it their all.

I thought the tie was fair. Neither one really sold me as "YES! That's the winner, right there."

(I did love the Robert/Kym Fosse move, though. I totally caught that. Heee!)

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 1

In many ways I felt like tonight was a retread of the entire season, the contestants doing the same style they've been doing consistently all along. Rumer was strong and sexy, Riker was fast and frantic, Robert fun and happy (granted, he has done a bit more than that). I'd love to see something different. I can't imagine either Rumer or Riker (or Allison for that matter) being soft and slow. A traditional slow waltz with no staccato movements is something I would like to see both attempt.

Of the top few, I think Nastia and Willow have actually had some diversity in their dances.

Chris, for all his failings, actually showed improvement tonight.

I thought there was a hiccup in Noah and Sharna's dance and that was why he got upset, but perhaps the package also affected his performance. Mark said in his Afterbuzz session that he never lets his partners listen or watch the package before they dance if they've had a tough week because it will affect their mindset going into the dance. I think that's a smart move - I would also be upset if the entire week had gone swimmingly and a few minutes of a small tiff is what they choose to focus on.

I liked both team dances for once. One reason I think Derek's team always seems to win is because they usually choreograph something very cohesive or is given a dance style that allows for neat formations, so it looks better on the whole. It's not a bad idea to have both teams do freestyle (or the same style) so that the dance style doesn't put one team at an obvious disadvantage.

• Love 2

What I really dislike this season is all the added froufrou with additional dancers dancing with a couple. When did this crap start? I feel it does nothing but take away your focus on the competing pair.

Time for Julianne to get rid of the ugly pink hair. It's not attractive.

I wonder how Erin is handling things since her boyfriend was arrested for cocaine and Extasy? It can't be easy on her.

• Love 6
It may because sexy intense badass plays better for partner dancing than cold and remote.
Not in Tango, though. Cold and remote is exactly what International Tango is supposed to be. Also, Nastia just did sunny last week with being Anna during Love is an Open Door, and I thought she was sunny and warm.

I was completely underwhlemed with the entire night. The theme and music were not compatible. As for Val and Rumer not much they could do with that song and jazz. Bootylicious is an R&B with hip flavor song from Destiny's Child. Given the title and lyrics what else could they have been played up. As for raunchy Len should really see Jennifer Lopez's Booty video. The real issue is TPTB need to decide what kind of show they want. A ballroom focused show using current (but compatible music) or  SYTYCD-like show. TPTB fail to realize that the most viewed videos are really of ballroom dances (Val/Meryl's AT) or a spectatuclar freestyle (e.g Cheryl/Drew or Emmitt/Cheryl).

Bootylicious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyYnnUcgeMc

Jennifer Lopez: Booty - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxtIRArhVD4

• Love 3

The increase use of the troupe and focus on the production around the dances started with the demise of the result show. The troupe started out as a way for new pros to learn how the show worked (behind the scenes) as well as to show their own abilities to the audience. By losing the results show, TPTB needed to give the troupe dancers more work. This season for some reason by mid season there are even more troupe dancers making the existing problem worse.

What about Allison objecting to the song based on it not fitting Riker's image? The guy is not a kid, he's 23. The producers should have said no and told Allison to work with the clean version of the song.

Edited by Avidviewer
  • Love 5

She has a twin. They should check her to see if she's missing a few. 

Ha!  I was thinking they should check to make sure Willow's not a man but I guess that whole 'men have more ribs' thing is a myth.  

Lurker posting on this one ... I have an extra rib.  So do 1 in 200/500 people. So, statistically ... not that hugely unusual.

I don't think 1 in 200/500 is actually a number.  Do you mean it's somewhere between 1 in 200 and 1 in 500?  It's not unusual like a third eye but that's on the rare side of things.  

Robert, it's "for Kym and me" not "for Kym and I".  Kind of unattractive, claiming you're underscored.  

I wish Riker would have been with Sharna, though I do like Allison.  

Derek and Nastia's routine reminded me a lot of Maks & Meryl's tango...and Janel and Val's paso doble. Seriously, watch all 3 back to back. The only difference is that Nastia and Derek wore white instead of black. And Maks and Meryl did it best.

I liked Mark and Willow's concept because I remember the high school band playing Tequila at every football game. So it didn't seem like too much of a stretch for me.

I was celebrating the fact that this was the first week that Chris went through his entire package without mentioning that he's engaged to someone else...and then CA reminded us. In case anyone forgot. I don't get it. Like he's the only person in a relationship on the show?

Every season, Team Derek is amazing and tight and clean, and Team Other is a hot mess. After they got a 39, I was just waiting for the penny to drop and everything to fall apart for Team Rumer. I'm sure the judges were too and had to scramble to figure out what to do to keep the Derek Always Wins narrative alive without making it obvious that was their intention. This is the first season in quite awhile that his team wasn't obviously better.

Based on the content, Team Nastia was overscored. 8s and 9s were more appropriate. The content in the group parts seemed very simplistic and clichéd. Not to mention that the teeny tiny stage really limited the amount of dancing they had to do. Robert's solo consisted of striking poses.

I have to wonder if Team Rumer had gone first, what would have happened scoring-wise. I don't think Team Rumer deserved a perfect score- which I think was part of the tie result- but it deserved at least a point or two more than Team Nastia.

I loved Patti. I'm sad she left. She obviously wasn't going to make it until the end, but I would have preferred to see Chris go before her. Long before her. I hope Chris and Robert go home next week. Of the remaining couples, they're consistently the weakest. I hope that's how it works out so the finals are actually competitive, instead of a "surprise" elimination of one of the better couples. I don't like Riker, but I'd rather see him continue than the other remaining men.

And no, I don't buy the Bootylicious thing so "well what else could they do". Sure, throw in a Beyonce pose or two here and there but try coming up with a better concept, a better costume for Rumer because that one did her no favors and think outside the box than the obvious "oh well it's Bootylicious and Jazz" so she'll just be the sexy girl and I'll run around her. I refuse to buy that this was the best Val could do with that song.

You mean like last week and how Derek copied Frozen's animated routine step-for-step because "what else could they do?"

Edited by skittl3862
  • Love 8

So that was meh overall. I wish they didn't do a double elimination next week, I'm more than ready to be rid of Chris but like everybody else and would like to see them all dance for a week longer. With her fragile young fanbase, I'll just expect that Willow is getting eliminated so if she doesn't go home it will be a pleasant surprise...

Also thought this week's harping on connection with Nastia was stupid, it suited the dance. There were some places where she looked awkward, why not more comments on that instead? Willow was great, I thought. And Mark makes it seem like a breeze coming up with all these age-appropriate dances for her (particularly the latin ones), without it turning into kindergarten. Rumer was underwhelming and the choreo wasn't up to snuff IMO. Perhaps it was the song, but it didn't work for me. Riker was energetic but sloppy...as always. Also thought he was overscored...that tied with having him in jeopardy again makes me question how many votes he is getting. He is someone who has a very vocal online following that about drowns out everybody else's, but do they all vote?  Perhaps it's a Sadie situation where they just use him to mask the actual state of things, but together with him getting overscored two weeks in a row. I don't know, it's all total speculation on everybody anyway. They should also get consistent about assignments...either everybody can change songs, dance styles etc. as they please, or no one gets to do that. Or get more transparent how many times a season each pair has the option etc.

Thought the scoring for the team dances was fair and cut down on potential melodrama about "OMG! those pairs are disadvantaged now for the double elim!" and "OMG! Derek didn't even rehearse with the team! Curse on Derek for letting the team down and/or Sharna/Kym/Mark for doing a crappy job!"

And I know online numbers are not fool-proof evidence when it comes to voting, but on the DWTS youtube page and on facebook Patti had the least views/likes this week. Youtube views are fluctuating more from week to week, but on facebook for a few weeks now it's been Riker, Noah, Willow, Nastia and Rumer in some constellation leading the pack with some distance. I don't think this is conclusive or anything, but I do think it shows trends.

Edited by katha

I think Erin is jealous of Kym and Robert. When Erin was on with Maks, they were covered by the mainstream tabloids and blogs consistently much to their dissatisfaction. Other then one or two articles on TMZ when Robert & Kym started the season, the media has been relatively hands off. Every season Erin gets a little too maniac about whatever couple is showmancing. Even if it's producer encouraged, she blows past the point of appropriate.

"Let's see a kiss on the lips!" Is she serious with that?

• Love 6

"Let's see a kiss on the lips!" Is she serious with that?

That was the worst. Seriously, Erin? I mean, if they're not dating, she's putting them on the spot, in a terribly awkward position, where they might not even want to kiss one another on the lips. So uncomfortable. And if they are dating, they still might not want to put that out there, and she's putting them in a bad position. So it was just in bad taste, no matter how cute she may have thought it might be in the moment.

One thing that was cute and kind of cracked me up? Tom taking his shoes off in solidarity with Patti. LOL.

• Love 8

Robert's timing is a bit off, but he made every step.  Patti and Noah don't even have to step.  Let's give better scores to the ones who do not move.  What rot.  It does appear that Robert has almost no sense of rhythm, though.   

Rumer is showing us every bit of the athleticism Nastia presents, and she shows way more fluidity and far more appropriate expression.  That 7 was absurd.  She's the best of this season.  

CAI and JH should sue their make-up artist for stealing a decade of youth from their visages.

Whomever sang the ONJ song needs to be fired.  Arguably the worst I've ever heard in the entirety of this show.  Hopelessly lousy. 

This was also an all-time unfair advantage in music for the team dances.  What can be easier and more forgiving then "Wipeout?"   At least there was an exact tie in points.

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Love 4

So someone said "Work It" is the song Allison wouldn't accept for Riker. I checked it out on Youtube, and WTF???? Even if there IS a clean version (which definitely isn't the one I watched), I can't imagine why the producers would pick it for *anyone's* dance, much less a couple of Mormons (assuming I'm correct about that). 

Seriously. What are TPTB drinking?

• Love 1

The difference with Kyle and Zendaya is they gained fans throughout the process and Zendaya especially didn't hide her dance background like Riker is. I would even argue he's way more unknown generally than those 2. I see Riker going more of the Sabrina/Roshon route of leaving in a couple weeks in a shocker.

Kyle and Zendaya had TV shows.  They were kid shows but the parents of the kids were engaged as well.  And, they do vote on DWTS.  Is Riker a star of anything?  I've never heard of him.

So someone said "Work It" is the song Allison wouldn't accept for Riker. I checked it out on Youtube, and WTF???? Even if there IS a clean version (which definitely isn't the one I watched), I can't imagine why the producers would pick it for *anyone's* dance, much less a couple of Mormons (assuming I'm correct about that). 

Seriously. What are TPTB drinking?

Missy Elliott was a big hit at the Superbowl, and Work It became big again a re-do of the original.   And they used the song for at least one of the bumpers tonight.  

Edited by Andiethewestie

Maybe that's why the judges keep overscoring Riker.  If it doesn't help him stay, it can be used as a shock elimination.  I never saw him as a finalist until the judges comments and scores.  He was too young and unknown, no DWTS fanbase.  Then I realized that he was one of those they wanted to last a long time.

And also, those people all had well-liked, established pros that had their own following. I'm not sure Allison can carry Riker. She might have plenty of SYTYCD fans, but I'm pretty sure they don't translate to DWTS.

Kyle's partner was Lacey.  She's former SYTYCD and not appreciated by the DWTS faithful.  I think celebs gain support by their own ability, attitude and personality.  Kyle and Zendaya projected very well and got along really well with their pro.  So the chemistry in their routines was always enjoyable.

Edited by movement
  • Love 1

I wish Riker would have been with Sharna, though I do like Allison.  

Wasn't Sharna Charlie's pro?  He didn't make the finals and he was a dancer/skater and had a large fanbase.  Don't think Riker would do any better with her especially since he doesn't have a fanbase. 

I would think most people put more emphasis on performance than technique.  It's just more entertaining and it is a TV show.  If Riker's technique is so bad that everyone wonders how he's still on the show, that would make a difference.  But that's not the case.  People are wondering why he doesn't look more like a seasoned ballroom pro by now because he competed when he was kid/youth.  And they use that to show how Allison doesn't belong.  What I think that doesn't belong on DWTS is the nonballroom styles and all the excessive productions. 

Edited by movement
  • Love 3

Ugh!  I just can't with this show anymore .... I don't know what it says that BRUNO of all people made some of the most valid judging comments (Julianne - once you filter through her quirky verbalizations -  always gave solid critiques with tangible things for the contestants to work on).

Len, maybe the reason some of the dances were too "raunchy" or  too "frantic" is because the pairs were saddle with "Bootylicious" and "Summer" ---- really, some of the assigned songs were awful.  I like the idea of using pop songs for ballroom dances, at least pick songs that work with the assigned dance; and if the powers-that-be must force a song on a pair, at least let them change dance styles to accommodate the music.

I disagreed with nearly everything the judges said last night; I felt that nearly all couples fell flat in their routines.

Robert and Kym are so joyful - I don't care if Robert is behind the beat, if he misses a few steps, or if his posture goes wonky --- he is embracing the experience, is improving weekly, and actually dances.

That was the most relaxed and comfortable I've seen Chris in weeks and as such his dancing was improved (it's still pretty bad, but at least he's moving and trying to do the steps).

I felt that Val and Rumer got the short end of the stick with "Bootylicious" though Val made it worse with the whole "I don't know what to do with this song" mantra ..... I think he psyched himself out and as such gave Rumer some pretty crappy choreography (she performed it well but there wasn't much meat to the content).

I am  beginning to think that no matter what Derek and Nastia do, they are always going to get the "lack of emotion" and "no connection" critiques.  While they don't have the easy-breasy vibe of Robert and Kym, I DO see a connection there.

Really Julianne, it took you until week six to "find" something to critique regarding Noah's dance?  And all you came up with is "robotic arm movement?"  How about stoic face (the same thing you ding Nastia on), or lack of movement, or lack of content?   I understand that Noah has limitations, but the coddling is just annoying.  I fear that he is going to be coddled straight to the finals.

Riker - I see the horrid hair is back and Allison still continues to create frantic routines.  

Ms. Patti was lovely and a joy to watch and will be missed.

• Love 3

Kyle's partner was Lacey.  She's former SYTYCD and not appreciated by the DWTS faithful. 

Really?  I did not know that.  My dh and I watch both shows faithfully and have since the beginning.  We both adore Lacey and wish they'd bring her back.  Lacey was a ballroom dancer on SYTYCD (unlike Allison who was on as a contemporary dancer) just like Chelsea and Dmitri, so why would she not be appreciated?  I had always thought that most people felt as we do - that she was terrific.  And I loved her dad when he was on the show a couple of times.  :)

• Love 1

I just wanted to say how incredibly annoyed (angry?) I am at the tie between the team dances.  When Team YOLO came on, the five people watching in my living room all had the same reaction - they were better than we expected based on the package, but there wasn't much movement around that tiny stage area, they were kind of messy in places, and the individual solos for the most part weren't great.  I expected no more than straight 9s (I figured they'd cut them some slack for the way they had to work it out, even though I didn't think they should), but then Carrie Anne came up with that 10 and so did Julianne and Bruno.  No way.  Then Team Trouble danced, and they were just so much better.  More creative idea, better solos, tighter as a group.  They were the clear winners to the viewers in my living room.  But I commented to the others - just watch - the judges will do no better than a tie because we can't have Derek outright lose.  And there they went.  Absolutely disgusting.  Team Trouble was robbed.  Just plain outright robbed.  :(

• Love 16

I'm sorry to say that I can' warm up to Noah, even as a person. He just has kind of a crazy look to me, like a guy with a bad temper and a short fuse. I would have preferred him leaving tonight over Patti.

Same here. He's just not very bright. Not that that's surprising considering his profession, but he also seems to have a temper. He looked scary after his dance last night. I also didn't appreciate how he acted with the prosthetic arm the other week in rehearsals. I get that it was uncomfortable and awkward, but he was acting like a child about it. Sharna always has to act like a parent trying to calm him down. Not a fan.

• Love 1

Witney also came from SYTYCD. While she wasn't very popular in her first season as a pro,she went on to win the next season. Granted she had it easy with Alfonso but if anything it showed simply coming from SYTYCD won't necessarily be held against you.

Re: Noah....

Dude! He was, as we call it in the Army, "blowed up". The fact that he's functioning and able to have made it this far in this show is pretty amazing. He's going to have moments where he's going to process things differently. I wouldn't expect most to understand but he's wounded in all sorts of places you can't see.

That being said, movement is an issue and it's not going to be long before he has to go. I don't think last night's dance will get him a ticket home though. It was surprisingly good. When it comes to the next ballroom dance, he'll probably be done in all reality.

This is Rumer's to lose. I'm shocked at the lack of Nastia love from the panel to be honest.

• Love 6

This week felt like a bit of a let down compared to last. No one really stood out to me. I guess I liked Riker the most but didn't think the 10s were deserved. I am worried he's a goner next week though. Or at the very least doens't make the finals. 

BUT I thought both team dances were great! Clean, full of energy, flashy...

I think saying "Bootylicious" was a difficult song to do a Jazz routine to is a cop out. There have been many many songs/dances over the seasons that didn't fit together and the pro just has to suck it up and figure it out. There were many ways they could have performed a Jazz routine without making it raunchy. At the end of the day, I just didn't think it was a good routine. The choreography was juvenile for Rumer and her movement quality wasn't that strong. She's a great dancer but she just doesn't do anything for me. I feel like I haven't seen anything new from her since week 1.

No idea who will go home next week. I guess Robert but not sure about the 2nd person.  

This is Rumer's to lose. I'm shocked at the lack of Nastia love from the panel to be honest.

The writing was on the wall from episode one .  Val - after EIGHT long years (eight years y'all) - will finally win his Mirror Ball Trophy; the rest is a race for second place.

The sad thing is that I actually like Rumer as a dancer but I feel that the powers-that-be are making it less about her and more about Val.  

This week felt like a bit of a let down compared to last. No one really stood out to me. I guess I liked Riker the most but didn't think the 10s were deserved. I am worried he's a goner next week though. Or at the very least doens't make the finals. 

BUT I thought both team dances were great! Clean, full of energy, flashy...

I think saying "Bootylicious" was a difficult song to do a Jazz routine to is a cop out. There have been many many songs/dances over the seasons that didn't fit together and the pro just has to suck it up and figure it out. There were many ways they could have performed a Jazz routine without making it raunchy. At the end of the day, I just didn't think it was a good routine. The choreography was juvenile for Rumer and her movement quality wasn't that strong. She's a great dancer but she just doesn't do anything for me. I feel like I haven't seen anything new from her since week 1.

No idea who will go home next week. I guess Robert but not sure about the 2nd person.  

I blame Val for that - Rumer has oodles of talent, yet all Val can create for her is hard, harsh, staccato movements.  I'd like to see routines that emphasis her long limbs and forces her to create soft. flowy, subtle movements.  

• Love 3
Noah is starting to sound as whiny as Amy did near the end of the season. Even if it is just a 5-minute package from all the rehearshals, his social media presence seems like it's starting to reflect his whininess.

I thought his reaction was rather odd.  Everyone has packages from rehearsal shown, and it just seems like he has been through enough that a random view of him and Sharna having a minor disagreement should be no big deal.  He does remind me a bit of how Amy was as well.  I had heard a lot of good things about him, but I just haven't been wowed by his personality as I thought I would be based on what I had heard.  He comes across to me as not wanting to be treated special, but then at the same time seems to need the judges to shower him with compliments.  I can't really explain it other than he is much different than I thought he would be, and I am not a huge fan.  But I do totally respect how far he has come in his life given what happened to him, and he is so very physically strong.

Wasn't Sharna Charlie's pro?  He didn't make the finals and he was a dancer/skater and had a large fanbase.  Don't think Riker would do any better with her especially since he doesn't have a fanbase. 

I would think most people put more emphasis on performance than technique.  It's just more entertaining and it is a TV show.  If Riker's technique is so bad that everyone wonders how he's still on the show, that would make a difference.  But that's not the case.  People are wondering why he doesn't look more like a seasoned ballroom pro by now because he competed when he was kid/youth.  And they use that to show how Allison doesn't belong.  What I think that doesn't belong on DWTS is the nonballroom styles and all the excessive productions. 

I bet 99.5% of people have no idea Riker ever took a ballroom class.  And 99% of the .5% that know don't care.  

I like the non-ballroom and the big productions, personally.  

Edited by Guest

I'm not sure I agree with that. They're being verbally hard on Nastia, but she's still on top with the judges' scores.  She was 1 point ahead of Rumer going into last night; now she's what - 3 or 4 points ahead of her?  So their words don't translate into bad scores for her.  She's not on top every week, but she's not far off the top either.  I'm guessing that over the next few weeks, they'll start being more complimentary and talking about how she listened and worked on what they told her.  Much as I would prefer to see Rumer (and Val) win, I'm betting that TPTB want Derek to win the 10th anniversary show.  This is a bet I'd love to lose, of course, but it just seems to me like they're setting it up that way. 

• Love 2

Patti LaBelle did not deserve to go home over Robert Herjavec who had the worst performance last week and definitely not over Chris Soules, who has been consistently mediocre.

Miss Patti left as the class act she is. #arealchamp

Edited by escape
STELLA MD, ON 20 APR 2015 - 11:58 AM, SAID:

I'm not worried for Noah in the slightest, given that he's on Derek's team. They could come out and do the Chicken Dance out of sync and still get a tongue bath from the judges - it's written in the stars, or at least Derek's contract.

KITCLOUDKICKER SAID:  The more this is repeated, the more fascinating this conversation gets.

Hysterical!!!

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1

I'm shocked at the lack of Nastia love from the panel to be honest.

Nastia is faced with the expectations a la Nicole S, Mya and Meryl.  When a contestant has large advantage, the judges believe that all the dances should reflect that. Think back to season 18, when so many were saying that Maks should do more with Meryl.

I still think Jazz is awkward for almost all the pros.When Val had it with Elizabeth Berkley, everyone said he didn't do jazz. When Patti and Artem did it last week.The complaint was that isn't jazz is it was the Charleston. The damn song is about the booty, what did the TPTB expect. The closest most of the pros will get to doing anything close to jazz is but doing something Bob Fosse like. In other words if the pros really don't know the genre and the audience can't identify it, maybe the it should be left off the show.

As for it being Val's season, I don't think is written its in  stone. A portion of the audience was turned off by the showmance. Val is still getting hate on social media for it. Does Rumer have her own fanbase? The way I see it pro fanbase + contestant fanbase + portion of general audience equals a win.

I've seen the debate on Twitter about whether Val should have rejected the song. That happened last week with Frozen. I'm so looking foward to this week's Afterbuzz given the tweets I've already seen from Kristyn Burtt.

AfterBuzz DWTS360: https://twitter.com/DWTS360/

Edited by Avidviewer

I didn't get to watch live, so I was quite letdown by the supposed "fight" Noah and Sharna had. THAT was it? Really? Talk about producer manipulation. That happened during one of their livestreams, and wasn't how it actually went down. They were laughing about it.

But I see people here believing what they want to believe,so no big deal. The producers clearly want a Rumer, Nastia, Willow, Riker final and will do whatever it takes to get it.

Patti LaBelle did not deserve to go home over Robert Herjavec who had the worst performance last week and definitely not over Chris Soules, who has been consistently mediocre.

I laughed aloud at Chris being picked last in the school yard pick.  It's bad when the double amputee and the senior citizen are picked before you!

People are wondering why he doesn't look more like a seasoned ballroom pro by now because he competed when he was kid/youth.  And they use that to show how Allison doesn't belong.

I don't need Riker to look like a seasoned pro and I'm not getting into the debate about his ringer status. My issue is that to my untrained eye, I do think his technique still looks shockingly unpolished and not very clean and at this point in the competition, it should be better. Also the fact that he's so good does make it even more of an issue in my opinion because it's not like a case of a Chris Soules who let's face it, is not a dancer and chances are, as hard as Witney works, he'll never be great in his technique and movement.

Riker has the talent, so for his technique to still look so sloppy at this stage, I do think is on his Pro. The last few weeks with them seems to be a strategy of just go 150% the whole time so maybe it will be so fast, it'll look more impressive than it actually is and will hide all the things going wrong in posture, footwork, etc. And I guess the judges' overscoring makes it appear like it's working. 

While I'm not saying Rumer will not win, very likely, as someone pointed out, for all the judges' nitpicking of Nastia, she's actually outscored Rumer a bunch of times and other than Week 1 I think, has been either first or tied for second on the leader board. While they may not nitpick at Rumer as much, to her own detriment in my opinion because maybe if they did it would force Val to do something else with her, they weren't lavishing huge scores on her until last week with the 10's for her Samba and Week 1 where she got the highest score.

Finally, I've always noted that judges' scores and the judges don't dictate the winner of this show - viewer votes do. If Nastia has a huge voting base, she'll be tough to beat and when it gets down to the wire, Semi-finals and Finals, the judges start overscoring everyone to where their points are almost irrelevant and it's all down to who viewers like more. That said, judging by Derek's latest instagram post, he may not even be able to continue so this may all be moot.

Val - after EIGHT long years (eight years y'all)

I think it's been eight seasons, not years because the show has been on ten years and Val didn't become a Pro until much later. 

You mean like last week and how Derek copied Frozen's animated routine step-for-step because "what else could they do?"

Since I am going to assume this is directed at a comment I made in last week's episode thread, my comment about Derek and Nastia being given a Jazz  was in response to the comment that stated it felt more like a big Disney production number than a dance. And I noted that well it was Jazz, which lends itself to Broadway production type numbers and it was Disney night where most of the dances were huge production numbers.

I said something similar when some stated Janel and Val's America number seemed more Broadwayish by once again noting that since it was Jazz they were given, it did lend itself to that kind of performance. But about Derek and Nastia last week, I did however also note that I thought all the top three were overscored including them, and that I was underwhelmed by the number but I guess it's easy to just overlook that part. 

It's bad when the double amputee and the senior citizen are picked before you!

Well when you put it like that...lol

Edited by truthaboutluv
I didn't love Nastia's dance but it wasn't for the reasons the judges noted. Honestly, at this point I'm less annoyed by Derek and Nastia's so called lack of connection and more by it being mentioned so much. It just feels like a cop out at this point.

Like you said, she will never be Suzy Sunshine, she will likely never be this over emoting perfect performer but it's getting to the point where I feel like the judges are focusing more on what she's doing wrong and little on what she's doing right when she's doing a lot right. It has to be frustrating to her and Derek at this point.

I've been hard on Nastia. I expect a lot from her and judge her (and Rumer) harder than the others because they are in a different league for their own reasons; although, I wouldn't say that on live TV like Carrie Ann. I've thought all along that they wasted Nastia on this season and that we wouldn't be able to see her full potential. I'm still not convinced that we'll get to see everything she's capable of, but I think Nastia made great strides in her emoting and connection since the first episode. I think it's clear that she's working hard, picking up a lot of the technique - even if she had a couple issues in the tango - and has clearly taken the comments and criticisms as notes to improve. I thought she had the emotion and character right. There were times that looked odd to me (apparently the frame issues), and I thought the spin thing was weird but that's on Derek. I really liked her tango. It wasn't as gorgeous as the Argentine Tango, but she performed this one better. I was shocked at the judges' comments. I don't know how she kept herself from crying. That was way harsh.

Patti went out on a pretty high note.  I was gobsmacked by her ability to keep dancing with one very high heel on and not to show any hesitation - no matter how often she does it.

I'll miss Patti. She was a light this show is sorely going to need now that she's gone.

It was interesting to me that Noah had such a negative reaction to that package, because right before I was just thinking how I liked how they worked together, and were able to work through one or another of them getting cranky in rehearsals. Like, it was a quick tiff, they worked it out, hugged it out, and got back to work, and I was sitting there thinking, "Man, I like them together, and how Sharna works with him" when he started getting upset. 

ETA. OH, I almost forgot my maybe favorite moment though, which was:

Mark: "It could have a shark attack..."

Noah: "I could play that!!"

I watched Noah and Sharna's live stream last week and really, really ended up liking Noah. He's such a genuinely nice person, can be funny on the fly, and works hard. I gave Sharna a lot of credit for making Noah look good but realized that Noah puts in a lot of work figuring out how to move, too. I thought their package was actually a positive one - they had a spat and fixed it and no one ran off in tears or yelled. I thought their rumba was his best dance yet.

Judges were more than a bit off tonight. Julianne, really?  Even if it wasn't their best dance ever, a 7 for Rumer?  I thought she did well, considering she had to fight for the viewer's focus next to two pro women. I appreciated the reaction of Rumer/Val to Len, especially.  A bit with the excuses, but also totally accepting his statements instead of writing him off.

I mean it was Bootylicious. I'm not sure how they were supposed to get elegant and structured out of it. I didn't think it was Rumer's best either but it was a cute, fun little number. I like a little diversity in the dances and thought theirs actually fit the spring break theme pretty well. A couple 8s and a couple 9s would have been appropriate. Compared to others, straight 9s would have been reasonable, too.

I do think Val might need to take a little control back. He's the one who's played this game before. In the wardrobe consultation from the live stream, he let Rumer take the lead and design her outfit despite his reservations. I'm wondering if her costume (that she pulled off in my opinion) was more of what the judges thought was raunchy. I actually thought the dance was really tame as far as booty songs go.

I, too, liked their reactions to the judges. The pros and stars must feel like they have whiplash some weeks from how the judges change their minds.

I have to wonder if Team Rumer had gone first, what would have happened scoring-wise. I don't think Team Rumer deserved a perfect score- which I think was part of the tie result- but it deserved at least a point or two more than Team Nastia.

I did enjoy Team Trouble much more than Team Yolo. I think it was mostly the staging. If Team Yolo had more space, it might not have felt so constrained. And, I have to agree with what Mark said about the opening - it showcased Derek and Mark more than the stars.

I thought it was sad in the Team Yolo package when Nastia said she doesn't really know anyone since she's in NY all week. I like watching how everyone becomes a little family and think it's too bad that she's missing out on that aspect.

So someone said "Work It" is the song Allison wouldn't accept for Riker.

That actually would have been a good song for Riker to dance to - the beat and feel of the song. I guess I never realized it was sexually explicit, and now that I looked up the lyrics, I'm surprised I didn't. The most interesting part of this package was that it was shown right after Rumer and Val were chastised for being "raunchy." I can't decide if that was planned or just interesting timing.

I like Riker well enough and wouldn't mind if he sticks around for the finals, but I'm not sure what the show is trying to do with him. I feel like they're trying to manipulate me, but I can't tell if they're trying to get me to vote for him because he's so good he's leading the scores or to not vote for him because he was so over scored compared to everyone.

• Love 1

I'm not sure I agree with that. They're being verbally hard on Nastia, but she's still on top with the judges' scores.  She was 1 point ahead of Rumer going into last night; now she's what - 3 or 4 points ahead of her?  So their words don't translate into bad scores for her.  She's not on top every week, but she's not far off the top either.  I'm guessing that over the next few weeks, they'll start being more complimentary and talking about how she listened and worked on what they told her.  Much as I would prefer to see Rumer (and Val) win, I'm betting that TPTB want Derek to win the 10th anniversary show.  This is a bet I'd love to lose, of course, but it just seems to me like they're setting it up that way. 

Oh, please.  This is "Val's season".  It's "Val's time".  They said it day damn one.  Even the media has gotten the memo and continued to run with it.  It's all about Val.  I'll be shocked if someone else wins.  I would love it, but I would be shocked.

• Love 1

I like Riker well enough and wouldn't mind if he sticks around for the finals, but I'm not sure what the show is trying to do with him. I feel like they're trying to manipulate me, but I can't tell if they're trying to get me to vote for him because he's so good he's leading the scores or to not vote for him because he was so over scored compared to everyone.

The manipulation isn't about Riker, it's about Allison.  TPTB get to say:  "see we told you so. Allison is a good choreographer, bringing innovation to ballroom. She is deserving of her spot on the show."

I was shocked at the judges' comments. I don't know how she kept herself from crying. That was way harsh.

Because she's an athlete, the thing that the judges or well Carrie Ann seems to suggest is what is working against her. But the fact is Nastia has likely been judged her whole life competing in gymnastics. I don't think a couple of comments from DWTS judging panel is going to break her.

I wish they'd stop talking about a lack of chemistry between Nastia and Derek. You can't force two people to have chemistry. You either have it, or you don't. But my thought is, maybe they don't have chemistry because Derek is unable to devote enough time to this season because so much of it is devoted to the Rockettes. Another thought could be that Nastia could be one who has an ice princess personality. Face it, there are a lot of people who just don't have that warm, loving personality, through no fault of their own---it's just who they are.

• Love 4

I think it's been eight seasons, not years because the show has been on ten years and Val didn't become a Pro until much later. 

Thanks for clarifying.  I was thinking Val was a relative newbie.  

Why would the producers care which pro wins anyway?  A lot of the pro dancers have never won.  Val is no star, in my opinion.  I doubt most viewers know or care if he's won.  What behooves the producers is to let the viewers pick the winners.  

I don't think a 7 was warranted and I think it was ridiculous to complain about a routine being too raunchy to a song called Bootylicious, but I do think Val's choreography was incredibly lazy and just not there.  There was definitely more he could have done with that song. He let Rumer down with that one.  Some people have been speculating that Jenna and Lindsay may have had a hand in that choreography, emphasis Jenna, because it's no secret that Val runs all his routines with Jenna this season (he did in S18 as well) and because she was shown barking orders in the package while Val pretended to act clueless.  Plus Rumer thanked her and Lindsay repeatedly all week on social media and some of Rumer's friends have posted about how Jenna is the unsung hero of Team Valenrue.  So I could see Val possibly deferring on jazz choreography when that isn't his speciality, but all that to say that if there is any truth to that then he needs to not do that again.  

I do think part of not putting Chris in jeopardy was that the show wants him gone and doesn't want to rev up his fans.  I honestly don't think Riker was in danger of going home this week.  I just think the show wants him in the finals and so they are trying to set the stage to get him there and he might not have the votes to get past Noah and etc.  The thing with Riker is I actually do find him very likeable.  I think he's very sweet with Allison and they make a good team, short of the fact that she has no idea what she's doing when it comes to ballroom.  It's such a shame because Riker would be killing it whith a pro that could correct his ballroom technique.  He's such a fast learner that somebody more skilled would whip him into shape in no time.

I really don't get the whole critique that Noah is scary or unlikeable.  I thought he was fine and came off fine.  He had like a five second tiff with Sharna.  Nor am I going to fault him for getting frustrated with that prosthetic arm a few weeks back.  Yes, throwing a ridiculously expensive piece of machinery is not cool.  But at the same time it's easy for us to sit here and be all judgy judgy when we have no idea what the man is going through.  I'm sure it must be very frustrating to try to do things and not be able to physically do them...or to try and get used to a prosthetic arm in the span of two days, let alone having to be able to use it live on national television.

Also for all the stuff about how Val has never won, it's been longer since Mark has won.  The last time Mark saw a trophy was long before Val even joined the show.  Val hasn't been on the show that long.  It's not like Maks or Tony situation.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 2

Because she's an athlete, the thing that the judges or well Carrie Ann seems to suggest is what is working against her. But the fact is Nastia has likely been judged her whole life competing in gymnastics. I don't think a couple of comments from DWTS judging panel is going to break her.

I don't think it will either, but there is a difference between getting scores in a gymnastics competition and getting judges' conflicting/contradicting opinions on live tv, especially when the comments tend to mostly be about her personality instead of her ability. And, then she stays stone faced and people go on about how she's emotionless.

I'm not even rooting for Nastia to win this season, but she just can't win. She shows a sunny personality last week and it's fake. She tries to be tango-y this week and there's no connection again. She clearly didn't know, based on their first meeting package, that she was going to be paired with Derek when she signed up. She got stuck with Derek's schedule, which can't help her experience, and seems to be trying to make the best of it.

I feel bad for her the same way I feel bad for Val sometimes. They both can have personalities that can get them a lot of backlash over simple things, and they both seem to dig harder and work harder to try to overcome it. But, you just can't change your personality.

• Love 1