Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E20: AC/DC

• Start Topic

"Quit calling it a book, it's a visual journey!" I loved Boyle in this, especially his disappointment squeal.

I love that Holt considers "what constitutes a grain" as acceptable eight minute small talk.

• Love 1

At least I can die happily, knowing that I got to hear Holt say the words "Do you feel sensitivity in your... bosoms?", in the way only Andre Braugher can.

Definitely an episode where I preferred the B-plot to the A-plot.  Goes without saying that I love almost all these characters and the pairings, but Holt/Rosa are just... magical together.  They are so similar in a lot of ways, but have enough differences, that they don't feel like retreads or copying each other.  Watching them trying to deal with the double date just cracked me up.  Especially Holt's go to stories to avoid personal stuff, including the Hubble telescope and how many orchids you know (Marcus' "Oh, that's easy.  None." response might be my favorite thing he's done so far.)  And then Rosa answering all of Kevin's questions like she was going through the world's worst interrogation.  I just love those two.

The A-plot was still fun, even if it was another variation of Jake trying to hard to solve a case, that he keeps messing things up.  But at least Boyle provided plenty of laughs, and Terry was awesome.  I really loved that he generally was upset, because he was concerned that Jake was going to really harm himself.  I just really love that Terry isn't just the big loud guy, but really cares for his squad, and considers them friends.

Not much Amy or Gina, but Melissa Fumero still cracked me up with some of her facial expressions.  Too bad we didn't see the drunk night.  I want the return of Amy and her Stages of Drinks.  Especially Perverted Amy (Drink 3, I think?  Can't remember.)

Felt like ages since the last episode.  Glad it's back!  I missed these guys.

• Love 5

Kind of a mediocre episode, especially after a mini-hiatus. Holt/Rosa were OK, but I didn't get the point of Gina/Amy C-plot (Amy deserves more!) and I think I'm getting kinda bored with Jake/Boyle. Boyle's generally got better for me in s2, but they've removed him from Gina way too soon - they are so much fun together. Anyway, the A-plot really dragged in this one.

• Love 1

For some reason I really, really loved this episode and giggled a whole lot throughout. Maybe because I've missed the show so much.

Favourite random moment was when Gina complained about Amy's food stinking up the train and Amy pointing out that no one else seemed to mind - and quick cut to the guy saying "We mind. We really, really mind" and other passengers waving newspapers and generally being in agreement.

Scully and Hitchcock in the background also crack me up - their starting to get up when they heard the racket that was Jake knocking down the boxes and then just going, "Eh, they've got it" and sitting back down probably shouldn't have been as funny as it was to me. Not to mention Hitchcock's "Nice!" when Jake said he could have sex as long as he stretched before and after.

I liked that Jake didn't actually mess up the case (unless you count when he fell the first time), but just himself. A lot of Jake's sense of self worth is tied up with his being a good detective, so having him bent on solving the case in spite of everything felt consistent with his character.

• Love 3

Andre Braugher was really funny this whole episode.  I would talk to him about the moons of Jupiter.  I've had someone try to talk to me about that before.

I liked when Kevin told Marcus the tale of his beef bourguignon and he feigned enthusiasm while having no idea what he was talking about.

Jake mistreats Boyle a lot.  I felt so bad for Boyle being so excited about that Atlantic City trip.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

I'm worried about Amy's character. The writers seem a bit stuck with her. While Melissa Fumero is managing to eek out some laughs with her reactions shots and expressions, the actual character isn't going anywhere right now. The over-achiever and eager to please Holt jokes have played out, despite there being multiple times where she's acknowledged she needs to address it.

While Gina's actions are those of a shitty person, at least she's funny. Throwing the Salad out the Window while saying "I'm an even nicer person" was good for a laugh. Also "[The rats] were definitely running away from it."

Get me back to Amy being funny, whether it's dropping one liners and zingers with the rest of the team (i.e making fun of Charles' STDs), pumping herself up with some sweet dance moves, or acknowledging how weird it is that her boyfriend's boxers have bathing suit liners.

• Love 2

Andre Braugher is pure awesome. He deserves an Emmy for that "ohh...noooooo" delivery alone!

Totally stealing Rosa's line when someone asks me about my family. "I have one." Hee.

• Love 4

For some reason I really, really loved this episode and giggled a whole lot throughout. Maybe because I've missed the show so much.

Me too. Except I wasn't giggling, I was guffawing and snorting. The section with Gina wasn't funny until the very end but the rest was hilarious.

I thought they said that was Boyle's squeal of disagreement. Such a simple thing but whatever it was made me laugh like crazy.

But my very favorite part..the one that made me almost swallow my tongue was when Rosa told Holt she wasn't preggers and he kept looking at her lady part and she told him to stop staring at it. OMG. It made me laugh so hard and I'm laughing even now. But then Holt had me laughing at everything he did. I still don't understand why he didn't win the Emmy.

Jake had me laughing and snorting too. I usually get embarrassed about my snorting but I didn't care last night because I couldn't help it.

• Love 2

Finally! My show is back!

I giggled quite a bit as well, i`m not ashamed to admit it. I would watch a whole 25 minutes of Rosa and Holt attempting to make small talk, and failing miserably. 

I was, however, disappointed, by the lack of Cheddars the dog at the Holt household. 

Andre Braugher is pure awesome. He deserves an Emmy for that "ohh...noooooo" delivery alone!

Totally stealing Rosa's line when someone asks me about my family. "I have one." Hee.

And would Holt actually lie to his spouse?

Well, it wouldn't be the first time. Remember, he got lightly stabbed and lied about that.

I can't count how may times I rewound Holt's reaction to Rosa telling him she might be pregnant.

I also rewound that so, so many times. It was the way he shook his head slightly at the "Noooo" that did me in. I'm guessing that's as close to panicking you'd ever see Holt!

ETA: Another thing I loved was with Gina at the end, when she told Holt that Amy had made a salad AND a cake and it'd been their loss because they were delicious. An unusually nice thing for Gina to do. They must've had a really fun night if Gina is telling nice lies on Amy's behalf.

Edited by Schweedie
  • Love 1

I feel bad for Kevin, his dinner party ruined.

And would Holt actually lie to his spouse?

As funny as this was, I don't understand why Holt couldn't simply say, "I love my nephew but he's dating one of my subordinate coworkers and a dinner party would be awkward." I bet Kevin would've understood.

• Love 2

As funny as this was, I don't understand why Holt couldn't simply say, "I love my nephew but he's dating one of my subordinate coworkers and a dinner party would be awkward." I bet Kevin would've understood.

Although both Kev* and Marcus should (and would) both have been sensitive to Holt and Rosa's desire to keep business and personal separate had they been informed of said desire, that small logical character point would have prevented us from seeing the glory that was Holt listing all the orchid varietals that he knows and, therefore, should be ignored and never mentioned again.

*Yeah, he lets me call him Kev.

• Love 5

That "Oh....Oohhhh nooooooo" was one of the funniest things I've ever seen and I can't figure out quite why. I mean, seriously. What did the script say? Was it just "Holt: Oh. Oh no"? Was there any sort direction to go with it? Did Andre Braugher just do all that on his own - the slowly dawning horror in his expression, the inflection in his voice that seemed to capture his realization of all the possible ramifications of Rosa's being pregnant? It was genius.

Plus. Holt saying "bosoms."

• Love 5

The fact that they can get the biggest laughs from two of it's most stoic characters proves the genius of this show.

- We only have to fill eight minutes.

- Sure, but think of it as 480 seconds... and you'll see why I'm concerned.

- [horrified whisper] Oh my god.

Genius indeed. Yeah, this was definitely an episode where the B plot was funnier than the A plot for me, even though I still laughed at that, too.

• Love 1

I was, however, disappointed, by the lack of Cheddars the dog at the Holt household. 

Everybody knows pet discussions make the best small talk!  They could have killed at least 3 of the 8 minutes with chit chat about Cheddars.

• Love 4

I can't count how may times I rewound Holt's reaction to Rosa telling him she might be pregnant.

Andre Braugher is going to win an Emmy, right? Right?? I also loved "These are the orchids I know." "Now I wish I hadn't used up my orchid material."

I really felt like this episode was firing on all cylinders. Very typical Jake/Boyle/Terry dynamic, Amy awkwardness, Boyle & Rosa - sheer perfection. 

• Love 3

Have you met Capt. Raymond Holt?  I can no more imagine him saying that than I can him asking about Rosa's "lady parts".

Was it just "Holt: Oh. Oh no"? Was there any sort direction to go with it? Did Andre Braugher just do all that on his own

ROFL! Maybe it was

Holt: Oh. Oh nooooooo.

And he just had to make it funny! :)

I can't believe no one's said my favorite line yet: Jake's "That's not housekeeping! That's betrayal!" We've been saying that all week. "That's not [whatever]. That's betrayal!" 

Of course, the genius of Holt and Rosa needs no repeating. We all get that. 

• Love 1

Jesus, I missed this show. Even though I barely tolerate Marcus on a good day, there wasn't a single thing I disliked about that foursome dinner party. I'm still laughing remembering certain parts.

It seems that the key to making Gina marginally tolerable is to pair her up with a nice person and not have her be a total ass to them (Boyle/Amy).

I actually felt like the weakest part was the Jake/Boyle/Terry story, but that's not really an insult with this show. :)

Yeah whoever figured out that Andre Braugher could be so funny deserves something too....  I feel like some genius tapped into that idea and then Andre's genius now flows through :)

I think Ray Romano and Men of a Certain Age deserve some credit for Andre's blossoming into comedy.  MoaCA was a dramedy, but Andre got to flex some comedic muscles there and did it very well. 

• Love 1

I think if Gina used her powers for good - such as deciding people like Boyle, Amy and Terry are too good lame and pure pathetic for their own good and need her to run interference and save them from the cruelty of the big bad world. With the occasional cathartic accidental focus of her lasers on them, of course.

• Love 1
On 4/28/2015 at 11:32 AM, bethy said:

That "Oh....Oohhhh nooooooo" was one of the funniest things I've ever seen and I can't figure out quite why. I mean, seriously. What did the script say? Was it just "Holt: Oh. Oh no"? Was there any sort direction to go with it? Did Andre Braugher just do all that on his own - the slowly dawning horror in his expression, the inflection in his voice that seemed to capture his realization of all the possible ramifications of Rosa's being pregnant? It was genius.

Plus. Holt saying "bosoms."

YES, this. All of this. Every little particle of it. Yes.