Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Cut Man

The scene at the end where Matt rescues the kid may very well be the most brutal and realistic fight scene I've ever seen. (Well, "realistic" for one man who barely survived a knife beating the living crap out of an army of goons, anyway.) Kudos.

• Love 4

I'm suspecting that Claire's ex is Mike Peterson.

Anyone else have a big laugh at Claire telling Matt his costume sucks after the massive fanboy drama about using the black suit? Speaking of which, I love that it actually looks like something a regular guy would put together in the event they decided to become a Batman type figure, rather than someone with the resources of Tony Stark or SHIELD.

• Love 3

The black costume looks good but I did kind of laugh to myself considering what a blind man might put together... We're lucky he's not wearing lime green and a garish plaid head scarf. That'd be funny but it wouldn't go very well with the overall mood of the show.

I haven't got through all of this episode yet (had to go to work) but I thought all the flashbacks to Battlin' Jack were really well done. There are always comparisons to Batman and Daredevil but Matt comes from a very different place than Bruce in a lot of ways. Still, they both had fathers who loved them very much and did what they could. Jack had to compromise more in order to give Matt a chance. It's very tragic.

• Love 3

I've only seen half of this.

What? I'm at work and not alone! I have to look like I'm working!

Anyhoo, this should probably go in the character/actor thread, but I find the actor playing young Matt so MUCH better than the kid they've got in Gotham, whose creator said he (young Bruce) was the BESTEST, most Awesomest Actor who ever acted EVAH! Which, no. He sucks.

Ahem.

I'm loving the grim humor intelaced with the grittness of this show.  And I'm gobsmacked that two of the producers were also producers/writers for Smallville.

• Love 2

I've only seen half of this.

What? I'm at work and not alone! I have to look like I'm working!

I have to do the same thing. I can get away with message board stuff and surreptitiously looking at reviews and what not. Can't have any more episodes on my iPad. Alas.

• Love 1

Battlin' Jack? Even though I know, roughly, the story? I felt for Jack. 

Rosario Dawson is one of the many draws to the series and I am glad she is Claire! Cool character and I am feeling greedy and hope we get her more.

Foggy and Karen are wonderful together and I hope Nelson & Murdock becomes a close family.

I liked that it picked up, essentially, from the end of the last episode.  I also loved the relatively silent battle to get to The Boy. Bravo! to the stunt department and the DP for that sequence/ those sequences!

I am bingeing so I am sure I will have better formed thoughts later.

• Love 5

One thing I like is the symmetry with Matt's father and his failures and successes and how they seem to be a parallel to Matt in whatever situation he is in. I was also impressed at how unflappable it seems Claire is in the face of a lot of dangerous stuff.

Foggy and Karen bring a bit of lightness to things but still manage to blend Karen's vulnerability from her events in the pilot.

Side things: Charlie Cox does a convincing American accent and kid Matt is very good.

Oh, and Murdock beating the shit out of the Russian guy was sorta hot. Does that make me bloodthirsty?

And poor Matt. :-(  Y'all know what I mean, those who are watching. Reminds me a bit of The Champ. Remember that oldie?

Finally...hallway scene? Long, yet epic.  :-)

• Love 4

Yes! It was great with the sounds and the focus and just everything. Just cool and a little fresh, at least to me. (The framing could have been done earlier in a movie/ TV show I haven't seen yet.)

Buzzed right onto the second episode, and yeah, its still awesome. I`ll write more on it later, but do you know what keeps popping into my head? While Matt is beating up human traffickers and throwing bad guys off roofs who laugh about selling children in the dark...Howard the Duck is in this same universe, just messing around, drinking a beer somewhere in space. There is also a talking tree alien dancing in a flower pot.

Truly, a vast universe indeed. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 13

Buzzed right onto the second episode, and yeah, its still awesome. I`ll write more on it later, but do you know what keeps popping into my head? While Matt is beating up human traffickers and throwing bad guys off roofs who laugh about selling children in the dark...Howard the Duck is in this same universe, just messing around, drinking a beer somewhere in space. There is also a talking tree alien dancing in a flower pot.

Truly, a vast universe indeed. 

I reject this! <Shakes fist>

• Love 2

I guess I'm the only one bugged by the way no one on this show ever turns on a dammed lamp? I laughed out loud when the camera panned into a small, brightly lit room during the very very long fight sequence ... And then had the door slammed in its face.

I mean, I get that he's blind and it's an atmospheric choice, but I'm still trying to figure out what some of the actors look like.

• Love 6

That last fight scene, tho. 

Holy cow.

I think I saw where there were a couple of clever edits, but at least that last few minutes up until Matt rescuing the kid looked like it was all one take. One brutal take. (And they may or may not have swapped out a stunt double with Charlie Cox in that doorway prior to the last fight). Even if the entire thing wasn't one take, that was incredible.

Edited by Cthulhudrew
  • Love 7

I liked the part when Matt stumbled backwards and out of frame. Even if it was an actual accident, it felt real and what might actually happen in such a close quarters battle. Thugs head to butt on the floor just about, so footing was something Matt needs to watch out for, not just the next attack.

I like Matt & Claire/ Cox and Dawson. They have a really nice screen chemistry. Then again, comics!Matt had a way with a wide variety of ladies as well. *g*

I was very tense for Foggy and Karen as they made their way from Josie's to Matt's. I'm going to have to try to use "filled with mighty eel strength!" into conversations in some way.*g*

• Love 3

Liked how this was a continuation of Episode One, in the sense that Matt was injured because of those kidnappers at the end of the pilot, and we find out that it had been a set-up all this time.  I didn't even mind that they skipped that part: having the opening be Matt in the trash bin was really well done.

Knew Rosario Dawson was going to be in this, and I'm glad she is already here.  Loved Claire, and her interactions with Matt.  Really got an evil kick over her using her knowledge of the human body to help Matt find the perfect spot to torture someone.  Useful!  Glad that it sounds like she is sticking around, although wisely at another place, since I'm sure the Russians won't be happy with her.

That fight scene at the end... there is almost no words.  It was almost as intense as that tracking shot from True Detective. While I'm sure there might have been some editing and what not, it really felt seamless, gritty, and close to realistic.  I loved that everyone was getting winded, and Matt actually took a lot of punches, but just powered through them.  I'm sure they had some stunt guys for the big stuff, but it looked like Charlie Cox did a decent portion of it himself, which is always good.

Flashbacks can be hit or miss on any show, but I surprisingly find these to be intriguing, and I think seeing Matt's relationship with his dad, does a good job at showing why Matt eventually becomes who he is now.  Plus, it certainly helps that I think the actors playing the dad and Young Matt are great.

The Foggy/Karen scenes were mainly solid humor filler, but I liked that Karen is still feeling the effects of what happened to her in the pilot, and it wasn't just blown over.  Still, I'm all about the humor: Drunk Foggy and Karen were awesome.  I think Deborah Ann Woll and Elden Henson (IMDBed and I now remember that he was Pollux in Mockingjay) already have a decent rapport, that I can buy them being as chummy as they are with each other.

Have to get some sleep now, but I'll try and hit the third one tomorrow!

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 6

I enjoy the mashup of the comic's Claire Temple with Night Nurse. That's something that's only going to appeal to an extremely hardcore comic geek.

My brother who I'm watching this with is one of those hardcore geeks was explaining that with making her The Night Nurse she has potential to be in a lot of these shows which I think is awesome because I love Rosario.

• Love 3

This episode was great the Foggy/Karen plot really balanced out the pretty brutal violence of the main plot, even though it also had some darkness to it. I loved Foggy's line about how he was not out on the town because he is socially awkward and not really attractive. Pluas is there anyone on tv hotter than Deborah Ann Woll?

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 3

Fantastic continuation from the first episode.  Matt's final battle with the Russians was grueling and brutal.  So well done.  The flashbacks were very effective and the actors playing Jack and Young Matt are fantastic.  I really like what Rosario Dawson brought to this show and her interaction with Matt is very good.

Easter egg...Jack's unseen opponent Crusher Creel should be pretty well known to long-time comic readers and according to one of the producers, is supposed to be the same Creel that appeared on Agents of Shield earlier this season.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 3

I am not a comic person so I am only going by tidbits of what I know about the backstory but I do like this one.   Low level boxer with blind son paid to throw a fight by mobsters that son talks him out of throwing and then ends up getting killed by said mobsters.  Tragic.  I am liking that this is a hero show for adults and so far I am enjoying it.    I like the idea that yes, he really does get injured....sometimes badly.  

• Love 4

I loved that everyone was getting winded, and Matt actually took a lot of punches, but just powered through them.

I liked the part when Matt stumbled backwards and out of frame. Even if it was an actual accident, it felt real and what might actually happen in such a close quarters battle. 

Yes and yes! This fight doesn't supplant either of my 2 favorite close-quarter fights (one in Unleashed, the other in Charlie Jade), but it does come in a strong third. There was something physically...witty about it. The pauses as Matt leaned on the wall, the stumbling backwards, the door breaking as he stepped on it—when I watched the fight a second time to take in the details, I saw not just that they let realism seep in, but also humor. And also I laughed when someone threw a microwave.

The spotlight-attached-to-the-camera lighting and the green walls in that fight scene made me think of the Fiona Apple video for Criminal, of all things.

• Love 3

That fight was both awesome and exhausting.  I liked how Matt composed himself before he walked in to get the boy.  

The flashbacks were good at showing the bond between father and son.  Even made me feel a bit emotional, which is rare.  Interesting that the father made a conscious choice to win a fight, which would lead to his own demise.  

• Love 4

Daredevil is also the title of a pretty amazing Fiona Apple song.

I had never heard of the Night Nurse before, but I like the idea of a nurse knowing something was up / a new hero is in town and how the show deals with regular people living in the Marvel universe.  I wasn't even positive about Daredevil's superpowers, being able to smell someone's cologne 3 floors a way must be pretty annoying.

• Love 4

I wasn't even positive about Daredevil's superpowers, being able to smell someone's cologne 3 floors a way must be pretty annoying.

Only if they're wearing High Karate.

I do like the way they've gone with his powers in this; instead of his Radar Sense and heightened other senses, it's more just a focus on those other senses.

I know nothing about the comics.  The only thing I knew going in was that Daredevil was blind, so I won't be able to scrutinize the other characters based on how they were in the comics. So far, though, I like them all. 

Like everyone else, I was in awe of that last fight scene.  The fact that it wasn't sped up to look supernatural and that he was getting tired just added so much more to it.  The way he walked out with the kid was perfect.  I also like that they added the dialog when he walked into the room, but didn't show them.  It was, imo, the best way to film that particular scene.  I can't even really explain why, but I liked it.

• Love 5

So I just read an interview with the showrunner, Steven S. DeKnight, where he said that "Daredevil is one bad day away from being the Punisher". I guess Matt had a bad day today.

I loved the brutality of him, in this episode. The way he embraces the violence, with an almost pathological fervour (which he may, being the self-loathing catholic vigilante with guilt issues up the wazoo, that he is) and is prepared to lose himself to it, both physically and mentally. He takes a beating, and he doesn't shake it off. He really freakin' hurts, but he keeps going anyway. He is prepared to torture a man, quite horribly, to save a child's life. He is prepared to kill that man because he has judged the man a scumbag, and only blind (sorry!) luck saved him.

They're not pulling any punches with the writing either. Matt is dealing with honest-to-god human traffickers who kidnap and sell women and children, for the reasons that people might want to buy women and children. Are we sure that Marvel are owned by Disney? (sidenote: This is why I was never concerned about that purchase, because Disney are smart enough to know that they can have different audiences for different products).

Yes, this show is dark, and as an indication of what Marvel is prepared to do when the shackles are taken off, I love it.

Loved Rosario Dawson too, as I always do. I didn't even know she was onboard for this, so it was great seeing her turn up. She feels like a character who may well pop up in other Marvel projects too. Agents of SHIELD, A.K.A Jessica Jones, and maybe even the movies. Is she officially the Night Nurse? I don't know, but if so, it's a good update of the character

Karen and Foggy getting drunk together was cute, and I'm glad that Foggy is a good enough guy to not try to take advantage of the inebriated, vulnerable and still emotionally raw young woman, and that Karen didn't do anything daft like throw herself at him. He's good people. But I do hope they find out about Matt's night job soon, because it would be so easy for them both to become irrelevant distractions.

The flashbacks? While they did slow the episode down too much at times, I really, really dig Jack's commitment to providing for his son. That he would take physical beatings to put food on the table is a kind of honest, painful 'I'm just a dumb mook but I got to look after my kid' attitude that you have to admire. Still, now that he's dead, I'd be happy to forego any more flashbacks. I'm not a fan of kids acting unless they're really good. This kid is okay, but I prefer the adult version of Matt.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 3

One thing I like is the symmetry with Matt's father and his failures and successes and how they seem to be a parallel to Matt in whatever situation he is in. I was also impressed at how unflappable it seems Claire is in the face of a lot of dangerous stuff.

Foggy and Karen bring a bit of lightness to things but still manage to blend Karen's vulnerability from her events in the pilot.

Side things: Charlie Cox does a convincing American accent and kid Matt is very good.

Oh, and Murdock beating the shit out of the Russian guy was sorta hot. Does that make me bloodthirsty?

And poor Matt. :-(  Y'all know what I mean, those who are watching. Reminds me a bit of The Champ. Remember that oldie?

I loved the filing cabinet flying out to hit that guy in the hallway, just before Matt walked out. How he anticipated their next moves, but yes: he was also tired and in pain, and not wanting to scare the boy any more than he already was. 

Yes! It was great with the sounds and the focus and just everything. Just cool and a little fresh, at least to me. (The framing could have been done earlier in a movie/ TV show I haven't seen yet.)

It was also pretty funny. I mean, a microwave flies through the doorway and takes a guy out. I liked how he kept stopping to rest every once in a while and that guys would get beat down and then get back up. 

• Love 4

I think it's a general rule that Rosario Dawson makes everything better.

Interesting that the father made a conscious choice to win a fight, which would lead to his own demise.

I think it's interesting that there's no question that Jack knew exactly what would happen, and he did it  anyway.  Just on the surface it's such a horrible choice, but the character  ultimately showed  the right lesson to his son.  If I think about it too deeply, it's certainly a wonder that Matt seemingly shows no resentment  towards his father.

i certainly agree with the strong analogy to  The Champ.

• Love 2

I enjoy the mashup of the comic's Claire Temple with Night Nurse.  That's something that's only going to appeal to an extremely hardcore comic geek.  

Nah, even a mild geek with an eye for "easter eggs," (remember when DVD's had those?  Good times.  Good times.,) can get a reaction out of that level of detail.  A pass through Wikipedia notes that in addition to Dr. Strange, which isn't going to be Netflix, the "Night Nurse" character has also given aid to Luke Cage and Iron Fist (both of whom will be Netflix-ed.)  So - Rosario Dawson long term employment achieved.

So I just read an interview with the showrunner, Steven S. DeKnight, where he said that "Daredevil is one bad day away from being the Punisher". I guess Matt had a bad day today.

Loved Rosario Dawson too, as I always do. I didn't even know she was onboard for this, so it was great seeing her turn up. She feels like a character who may well pop up in other Marvel projects too. Agents of SHIELD, A.K.A Jessica Jones, and maybe even the movies. Is she officially the Night Nurse? I don't know, but if so, it's a good update of the character

I mentioned in the first episode thread that this series looks to be syncing up with my internal concept of the DareDevil character.  The "one bad day," concept cements it.  By the way, and this is "spoiler free," musing, while Claire's referencing the various "low level hoods," that Matt has been helping Hell's Kitchen with; this episode, with its allusions to the old Outfit in the flashbacks, helps explain why Matt is focused upon the Russian Gangsters, and eventually the (person) above them in the food chain.

Only one "action sequence," in the episode, but boy did they make it count.

I stopped watching Supernatural years ago, and for quite a bit I was worried that this episode was going to use that series over-used "four hours earlier," storytelling mechanism.  I was very pleasantly surprised that the continuation from the first episode was done by narration.

• Love 1

I'm suspecting that Claire's ex is Mike Peterson.

The name is from an old Daredevil story in which Matt pretended to be his own twin brother, Mike. Silver Age at its finest. They actually had a better in-story reason for this working than most, though, as Matt used his powers to pass as sighted when pretending to be Mike, so slightly less ridiculous than a bunch of other tales from the time.

I think it's interesting that there's no question that Jack knew exactly what would happen, and he did it  anyway.  Just on the surface it's such a horrible choice, but the character  ultimately showed  the right lesson to his son.  If I think about it too deeply, it's certainly a wonder that Matt seemingly shows no resentment  towards his father.

i certainly agree with the strong analogy to  The Champ.

What amazes me about Jack Murdoch's story is it is straight from they comics. It is a comic book story from 1964 but it doesn't come across as hokey or dated.

• Love 3

I don't think Matt has resentment because he basically guilted his father into doing it, which he acknowledges as an adult.

Rewatching the fight scene gave me much more appreciation for the intricacies of it. At the start Charlie Cox walks in and heads into that one room where the fight basically begins offscreen when the door closes. This is so the stuntman can come back out into the hallway and do the really physical part of the fight while Cox is running around the back of the set and into the room on the other side of the hall, where he replaces the stuntman in turn after Matt falls back into that room. From there he does fighting where there's less to actually do thanks to how exhausted Matt is, but still features plenty of impressive stuff.

• Love 3

It's a lesson about integrity, I guess. Being true to yourself no matter what the cost, and not cheating the people who bet on you to win. Though if you ask me, if you bet on sports, you pays your money and you takes your chances. I don't gamble or take sports that seriously, so I actually don't see the big deal about throwing a fight or a game or whatever (especially when it's so you can provide for your blind child). I understand it really upsets sports fans, though.

What amazes me about Jack Murdoch's story is it is straight from they comics. It is a comic book story from 1964 but it doesn't come across as hokey or dated.

See, to me, those mobsters felt like they're from the 1930s (something about the way they were dressed and the way they talked). Which makes perfect sense if this was a flashback written in the 60s! I had no idea that was the reason. Hee!

• Love 1

There was a lot I liked about this episode - the epic fight, with its humorous touches (the flying microwave was my favorite), Claire (character and actress).  My problem is Deborah Ann Woll - I liked her at first on True Blood, but by the end I was SO tired of her sobby voice I muted any scene she was in.  I'm getting that way here, too, so I hope she stops it STAT.  I like Foggy alot, too, and I'm glad he's actually smart and competent.

I've started this one yesterday and I'm not sure I'm on board with it.

Brooding, sarcastic hero with some issues. Funny sidekick. The good woman who assures the hero and thus the viewer that she doesn't believe he is crazy and enjoys inflicting violence.

I liked Karen and Foggy. What the hell kind of name is that anyway?

The one thing that gives me hope is, if he doesn't enjoy it, why did he burst into the room to beat up the guys that supposedly beat him up before the episode started instead of sneaking past and take the boy out? All he had to do was sneak past, open the door and leave with the boy. So, he enjoys beating them up just a bit? I hope because that was the first time I found him interesting and a bit different from the usual Superhero ilk.

I guess we are supposed to think of his father as a hero, but really, I find it much more important that he would be around. He didn't seem to have an exit strategy. Its morale feels very old-fashioned to me. One moment of pride is more important instead of a lifetime of parenting? It feels like I've seen this story before. In some old movies. The idea of the father as an immortal hero instead of a father who sticks around.

It's not just the mobsters that felt out of date, the whole morality of that thinking. So, yeah, not a fan. But apparently, this is in the same universe as Jessica Jones which I am very excited about. So, I'll stick around for a bit more to see if it defies my, admittedly low expectations.

I can see what you're saying about sneaking past to get the kid, but if he just rushed in and grabbed him, that would scare the hell out of the kid and the kid would probably scream bloody murder. He had to take a little time to unmask and talk to the kid. This would be very risky if someone could come into the hallway at any second. Last thing he would want is to get into a huge fight with a little kid in the middle of it.

Besides, he's trying to take down the entire operation so Claire doesn't have to hide from these guys anymore.

I'm kind of getting the sense that Matt's feelings about his father might be more complicated than meets the eye. He is proud of his dad, but at the same time he has some deep-seated anger issues from his father sort of abandoning him.

Matt's dad wasn't a bad person, but he was a guy who made mistakes and had questionable judgement. I don't think the episode really shied away from showing that.