Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E13: The Promise

A perfect ending to a great show.

Loved the look on Raylan's face when the cop threatened to put him in the trunk.

Again loved the grin when Art pulled over and gave Raylan his badge back.

Tim O and Walton Goggins last scene was just magic and in a way what made this show so special. To me it felt you could just feel the genuine delight and real affection both actors had for each other in that scene.

Must admit I gasped when Raylan got shot and glad Loretta saved him.

Loads more i'm sure but have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it and thought it was one of the most satisfying finales.

• Love 6

while we surely know that Boon was a murderous little fuck, do we know he was that fast or that quick of a draw? Did I miss something (probably)?

He demonstrated his quick draw skills before shooting Loretta's guard/ex-boyfriend.

ITA. I also think they only walked a short distance and then back to what looked like the backyard.

Ava deliberately asked Raylan if he wanted to go for a walk, which I think was her way of drawing him away from the house and the kid in the backyard. When she said she was going to show him something, I assumed she walked him back to the house. You know she's too paranoid to let Zachariah be too far away from her. But all I really remember of that scene is that they were initially walking downhill. I would have to rewatch to see if they turned around or changed direction to see the kid.

I am really glad that Raylan and Winona did not end up together for good - it would be fake and unearned, just a cheesy 'have your good ending" for a hero.

Does anyone know the music that played during Raylan and Boon confrontation? It's very familiar, and I would like to get it, but I don't know the name.

I am really glad that Raylan and Winona did not end up together for good - it would be fake and unearned, just a cheesy 'have your good ending" for a hero.

Rewatching Season 1 now and I would have found it hard to believe that Raylan and Winona wound up together.  I hated her since she ran over to sleep with Raylan after finding out he had been sleeping with Ava and after she begged him to bail that loser Gary out and then told Raylan how much she loved Gary. The only time I remotely liked her was the Season 4 nursery scene.

Edited by soapfaninnc
  • Love 2

Plus, she was a thief and Raylan had to bail her out of that mess.  I never liked the whiny bitch and I'm so satisfied that she has a new husband, and not Raylan, to fuck over.  

• Love 3
[boon] demonstrated his quick draw skills before shooting Loretta's guard/ex-boyfriend.

Well, hell, shooting that boy was shooting fish in a barrel - and he didn't even kill him (though evil little bugger he is, he may have done that on purpose to unnerve Loretta). I meant, have we seen anything that would make Rayland worried that Boon could outdraw him?

Edited by basil
  • Love 1

It was Tramble.

Isn't that where Dickie is too?

It was Tramble.

Rewatched past seasons to prepare for the finale. One of the writers in season four had that last name. Funny detail.

Gonna miss this show something fierce. "We dug coal together" had me crying like a baby.

Went to hear some live blue grass music today, drank a little Bourbon, I already live in Kentucky, all I needed was a cowboy hat to complete my perfect Justified moment. And for someone to start playing "You'll never leave Harlan alive". I swear, since the show ended, I have listened to a million versions of that song. I am partial to Patty Loveless, personally. 

• Love 1

I don't think Raylan getting grazed was because of a hat miscalculation, rather proof that Raylan was actually faster. If you assume both men have perfect aim, that means the only way Boon misses is if Raylan actually fired first in the heart, and that impact was enough to throw Boon's aim an inch too high, hence grazing Raylan's skull. Raylan is still the fastest draw in the west!!!!!

• Love 2

I have mixed feelings about Ava getting away, but other than that I thought it was perfect. I also teared up at the last meeting of Boyd and Raylan and the actors did such a great job! And count me in as one who thought that Raylan might be a goner. I yelled "No Way" at the tv when he was laying in the road.

I too have mixed feelings about Ava getting away, I understand her desperation since she was pregnant. But to me that cheapened her ending. Like we are supposed to be okay with all she did because she has a child.

Other than that I thought everything else was pretty close to perfection. So glad Art, Tim, Rachel, Loretta and even Wynn lived.

When I saw the hole in Raylan's hat while he laid in the road I audibly gasped. I actually thought the went there. Boone dead yeah! Raylan new hat, boo!

There was one scene where Timothy steps out and the started at his boots and panned all the way up to his original hat. And all I could think is damn that man really wears that outfit!

My favorite, line many others was the final scene between Boyd and Raylan. Them and their history and dysfunctional relationship has always been the heart of the show! They honestly looked glad to see one another despite it all. The we dug coal line really got me in the feels. Perfect ending, going into mourning now since the ride is over.

Edited by Texasmom1970
  • Love 2

One of the writers in season four had that last name. Funny detail.

yes, its a fun fact that they did name the fictional prison after their writer.  I believe Graham Yost explained it in one of the commentaries in a previous season.  I'm looking forward to the DVD/Bluerays of this season because I love finding out these little details.  I think I'm going to binge watch the entire 6 years once I get them. 

I'm going to miss this show!

• Love 1

Just chiming in to agree that this was a magnificent ending for a great show. Well done on all counts. I laughed (down on all fours dog grooming), I cried (we dug coal together), and I damn near had a heart attack when Raylan dropped. For a few seconds, I thought they'd actually gone there.

mixed feelings about Ava getting away

I thought they addressed that pretty well with Raylan's comment about people wanting to be congratulated for acting how they should act. I think it was the child that tipped him into letting her go, and I would probably have done the same thing.

The last scene was absolutely perfect. My hat's off to you, gentlemen.

Edited by Voice of Joy
  • Love 5

I don't think Raylan getting grazed was because of a hat miscalculation, rather proof that Raylan was actually faster. If you assume both men have perfect aim, that means the only way Boon misses is if Raylan actually fired first in the heart, and that impact was enough to throw Boon's aim an inch too high, hence grazing Raylan's skull. Raylan is still the fastest draw in the west!!!!!

They fire at the exact same time. Not even a fraction faster or slower than each other. There is a very slowed down video on Youtube that confirms this. Therefore neither shot hits the other one before they have fired.

Boon begins his draw as small a fraction possible earlier. We see Boon drawing with Raylan in the foreground with the side of his back to us. Raylan's movement of his arm begins immediately with Boon pulling. This is significant since it shows Raylan's quickness in reaction. Raylan does not extend the gun far on his draw. This makes sense since he is aiming for the body. Boon extends just a bit further as he is aiming for a smaller mass area. In doing so, now both are even and their shots come at the exact same time.

In all likelihood, no matter what each other does or who draws first, they both get unimpeded shots off. Raylan has met his match and yet hasn't. Boon is just as quick but he is undone by his hubris. This is the point. Raylan and Boon would have died if it was not for something out of Raylan's hands which is Boon being so arrogant as to aim for the forehead. What he does not know is Raylan wears his hat high so while Boon hits exactly what he is aiming at - what he is aiming at is not the actual area where Raylan's forehead is.

• Love 5

Well, hell, shooting that boy was shooting fish in a barrel - and he didn't even kill him (though evil little bugger he is, he may have done that on purpose to unnerve Loretta). I meant, have we seen anything that would make Rayland worried that Boon could outdraw him?

It isn't like there are modern gunfighters, besides combat sport shooters where Deputy Givens could judge how fast someone is. It is just a gut feeling on how someone carried himself. Boon came at him without talking about a High noon gunfight of the 20 foot rule so Raylan judged him as dangerous as anybody could be with a gun. In which case cops are justified when they shoot first and not wait for a gentlemen's fair fight.

I saw it the other way telegraphed when Boon shot Loretta's guard that he went for the head because so many wear body armor now. People shoot center of mass for a reason Boon going for a headshot kill and not a hit killed himself as surly as Danny Crowe

"We dug coal together" - I knew it was coming, but it made me cry, anyway.  

Those words have kept me coming back to "Justified" from the beginning. How moving and prophetic that they echo back for Raylan and Boyd, too. After an excellent but forbidding season, I found this a wonderful series finale that (a rarity) wasn't too downbeat to enjoy, either. And what an ending -- so beautiful, eloquent and moving.

While I'll never be a fan of Season 5, I will always be grateful for this show and its beautiful eloquent characters, both good and bad. I do still wish they hadn't quite darkened up Boyd to a point of no return the past few seasons (I loved his attempts to go straight and I'd like to think he's still in there somewhere -- difficult to do after the bloodbath of the past few years.)

Bravo and well done.  THAT is the way to end an epic series.  

I totally agree. I got pretty misty at the end, there.

We got the song, we got a bloodbath, we got a showdown, we got Raylan and Boyd smiling and exchanging barbs, and we got a little Crowder surprise. Winn lives, Loretta takes care of business.

But of course it had to end with Boyd and Raylan. I do believe Boyd loved Ava (it's the reverse I was never quite sure of -- when Ava pulled that trigger on Boyd, she did what she expected from him, but despite his many many sins, I never actually thought Boyd would betray Ava, and it's interesting that abused Ava assumed he never loved her when, it appears, he truly did. It doesn't excuse Boyd's crimes, but it makes him more interesting.

I'm so glad Boyd lived. I can't help it. The idea of that psychotic silver-tongued bastard still alive out there made me happy. And Boyd's sermon! Which I immediately believed was sincere! The guy has ridiculous charisma.

I was especially grateful it ended with such grace. When Boyd and Rayland regarded each other through the prison glass, I already knew that the show's most meaningful four words would emerge to end the show, and I surprised myself by bursting into tears: "We dug coal together." I can't help it. It has always moved it. It always will.

Obvious bit is that I'm surprised, but thrilled, that all of the regulars made it out alive.  Raylan.  Ava.  Art.  Tim.  Rachel.  And even freaking Boyd Crowder.  I thought for sure this series would end in his death, but nope, they totally played me.  And I loved it!  Unlike Tommy Bucks, Boyd did not give Raylan the satisfaction by drawing on him, and Raylan did not cross the line and murder him, because that's just not him.  Instead, Boyd is locked up; probably for good; but alive.  A fitting end for him. And, of course, he's totally back to his preaching ways.  Really, I think that is a great ending for Boyd.

That pause after the gunfight! I about died when Raylan's hat showed the bullet hole -- I admit, I checked the time and was like, "NO WAY RAYLAN DIES AT :36" and settled back a little more comfortably (yet still worried). And No, Raylan, you will never be a black hat. Which is why it didn't fit.

And Wynn's doggy van: "DOWN ON ALL FOURS: The Experts of Doggy Style" made me laugh out loud.

Jonathan Tucker's performance was phenomenal, creating hostility through his embrace of many of the worst traits of the 1870's outlaw. It is also a critical villain for the destruction of Boon is the destruction of the mythology of the showdown as an expression of manhood. Raylan refuses to kill the man he wants to in Boyd saving his humanity while Boon forces a confrontation and dies for it. The show could not be clearer here in it's intent.

As always, thanks for a beautiful and literate examination of Boon as a character. I loved that Boon got gunned down by Raylan and shot down by Loretta in his final moments. I agree with you that Tucker was fantastic -- I've never cared for him in other roles but here he was really creepily superb. (As was everyone, frankly.)

I'm glad that Ava survived and has a life for herself and her son. I've generally liked her (if not all the writing for her), and I'm glad that Raylan decided not to arrest her. I'll have to go back and watch episodes to see if there are hints to her being pregnant. It does explain her desperation if she knew. I'm not clear how much time passed this season -- she can't have been too far along before the time jump.

I wasn't invested in Ava's safety yet somehow found myself warmed by her escape into a law-abiding life and a sweet little boy. I laughed out loud at his buttoned-all-the-way-up shirt! And I was so glad Ava grew her hair out again. This is utterly, ridiculously shallow, as she's a lovely woman, but I hated that damn suburban bob on her, and it just didn't suit her face. The soft longer curls of the flash-forward suited her far more.

I especially loved Raylan's final comment to Ava:

Raylan: "Every longtime fugitive I've ever run in expects me to congratulate them for not doing what no one's supposed to be doing anyhow."

Ava: "I can't have Boyd even knowing he exists. I'm not saying he'd cause him harm; he'd just ruin his life."

Both so true, so well-said.

Ending the series by turning frenemies back into friends -- never mind the bulletproof glass between them -- is so much more unexpected than either of them killing the other. It's perfect.

Thanks Tara for a gorgeous final summation. And thanks to all who have made this series so much fun to talk about. Who knew? We all got out of Harlan alive.

• Love 10
This is utterly, ridiculously shallow, as she's a lovely woman, but I hated that damn suburban bob on her, and it just didn't suit her face. The soft longer curls of the flash-forward suited her far more.

I thought I was going crazy for harping on Ava's bob, but it just annoyed the hell out of me.  I'm so happy she got a new 'do.

• Love 1

Boon shooting Loretta's ex-boyfriend in the arm was on purpose. He was basically playing as if he missed the head while him and Loretta know he did as intended. He had been told to find Loretta and he knew the boy was no real impediment. So he basically disarmed the boy in his way. Notice he does not kill the boy but lets him bleed. When he talks to Loretta about headshots, we, as with Loretta, know this is a guy who shot the head off a snake (and Justified's screenwriters give no indication he is making that up). We know that Boon is teasing Loretta and that if he had desired to he would have shot her ex in the head easily. It is similar to the conversation at Loretta's place where he both signals how dangerous he is in a teasing - and very creepy - manner.

As for why Raylan would be concerned over Boon, Boon showed absolute confidence. He went out of his way to try to initiate conflict with Raylan knowing Raylan's rep. He wasn't some criminal that Raylan came upon while solving a crime. He was a criminal introducing himself to Raylan, saying Raylan was all he expected, and still itching for a deadly showdown. Raylan is not an idiot. To see someone acting like Boon and not recognize this person has skill would have been idiotic on Raylan's part.

Raja nailed it in his post that the desire for the headshot, a much smaller mass area of the body, was Boon's hubris which caused him to fail in killing Raylan. The show had that conversation with Loretta in there to build to that final showdown. The hole in the hat sat where most people's foreheads would be. Problem for Boon was that Raylan does not wear his Stetson like most people do.

Edited by dohe
  • Love 3

I too have mixed feelings about Ava getting away, I understand her desperation since she was pregnant. But to me that cheapened her ending. Like we are supposed to be okay with all she did because she has a child.

Actually, I am still not sure why Ava was in jail.  The only thing that was proven was that she stole a body from the morgue.  There was no proof she killed dickweed other than the drug laden prostitute's word.  And actually that was more of self defense than anything.  There certainly was not time to hold a trial for murder, she should never have really been in prison, she should have remained in country lock-up until her trial.

She was framed for the gigging of the prison guard and I think that was apparent to Raylan & Company after the hotel sting.  So...  I think there was an argument that Ava received justice.

Boon shooting Loretta's ex-boyfriend in the arm was on purpose. He was basically playing as if he missed the head while him and Loretta know he did as intended. He had been told to find Loretta and he knew the boy was no real impediment. So he basically disarmed the boy in his way. Notice he does not kill the boy but lets him bleed. When he talks to Loretta about headshots, we, as with Loretta, know this is a guy who shot the head off a snake (and Justified's screenwriters give no indication he is making that up). We know that Boon is teasing Loretta and that if he had desired to he would have shot her ex in the head easily. It is similar to the conversation at Loretta's place where he both signals how dangerous he is in a teasing - and very creepy - manner.

As for why Raylan would be concerned over Boon, Boon showed absolute confidence. He went out of his way to try to initiate conflict with Raylan knowing Raylan's rep. He wasn't some criminal that Raylan came upon while solving a crime. He was a criminal introducing himself to Raylan, saying Raylan was all he expected, and still itching for a deadly showdown. Raylan is not an idiot. To see someone acting like Boon and not recognize this person has skill would have been idiotic on Raylan's part.

Raja nailed it in his post that the desire for the headshot, a much smaller mass area of the body, was Boon's hubris which caused him to fail in killing Raylan. The show had that conversation with Loretta in there to build to that final showdown. The hole in the hat sat where most people's foreheads would be. Problem for Boon was that Raylan does not wear his Stetson like most people do.

Honestly, in other scenes with bad guys Raylan would have had his gun out before he got out of his car and used the car door as a shield if he was playing by LE protocols.  He had displayed his own brand of hubris too with the macho gun draw.  He also gambled with Ava and Lorettas lives as they may have been killed had lost the quick draw...  But it was excellent television!

Edited by ChipBach
  • Love 3

I just noticed little Zechariah immediately going for his shovel to dig in the sandbox. It just stuck me as funny. I guess he and Willa could dig sand together. 

I can't count how many times I've rewatched the finale. It's completely spoiled me as far as other shows go. I can't tolerate The Americans right now - the characters and the pacing and storylines just don't work the way this show did it. 

I can't tolerate The Americans right now - the characters and the pacing and storylines just don't work the way this show did it. 

Same here. And to think The Americans has a much better shot (no pun intended) at an Emmy nomination just breaks my heart. They're not even in the same ballpark.

• Love 3

I can't tolerate The Americans right now - the characters and the pacing and storylines just don't work the way this show did it. 

I started letting episode of TA accumulate on my DVR quite a while ago.  I had binge-watched the first two seasons and have a feeling that's the only way for me to experience that series.  Post Mad Men, of course.

• Love 1

Same here. And to think The Americans has a much better shot (no pun intended) at an Emmy nomination just breaks my heart. They're not even in the same ballpark.

Good grief, just reflect for moment on the quality of dialogue that appeared week in and week out on Justified, and how any instance of well written dialogue on The Americans is like finding a flake of gold after sifting through a ton of sand.

• Love 5

But of course it had to end with Boyd and Raylan. I do believe Boyd loved Ava (it's the reverse I was never quite sure of -- when Ava pulled that trigger on Boyd, she did what she expected from him, but despite his many many sins, I never actually thought Boyd would betray Ava, and it's interesting that abused Ava assumed he never loved her when, it appears, he truly did. It doesn't excuse Boyd's crimes, but it makes him more interesting.

I don't know- from seasons 2 through 5, there didn't seem to be a lot of ambiguity over Ava's feelings for Boyd. She was undoubtedly in love with him, at least from what I saw all these years. She cried when she accepted his marriage proposal, she said she'd do anything for him- even when she broke up with him in prison, she said she'd always love him.

That's why I wasn't totally sold on her actions this season- there seemed to be a sudden turnaround in her emotions toward him, although there were moments where she seemed to still have feelings...but with all those years of solid commitment (and it wasn't like he hid anything from her, she knew who he'd killed, etc)., I thought it would take more to make her so afraid of what he might do to her, as opposed to other people.

• Love 2

Not to pile onto The Americans too much ... but I don't have a DVR, never have, so if I miss a live viewing, I have to try to find the episode online or miss it. When that happened with Justified, I could get the gist of the plot and re-engaged with the story. I've watched The Americans at times, but I find it hard to get back into if I miss an episode. On the face of it, it could be hypothesized that Justified must have simple storylines in comparison, but I don't think so. I think there's been ample (sufficient?) complexity in the storylines on Justified, but something's lacking on The Americans.

• Love 1

The only explanation for the change in Ava's feelings is that she didn't want to go back to prison.  Her experience was horrendous and she had no reason to think it would be any different the second time.  And there's the pregnancy -- she'd give birth in prison and the child would be raised by someone else. 

That plotline never made much sense to me either.  As was said above, they had nothing on her to justify a long prison term.  A good lawyer could have helped her, but nobody ever suggested legal counsel for her -- not that I can recall.  It's another failing of season five.

• Love 2

Not to pile onto The Americans too much ... but I don't have a DVR, never have, so if I miss a live viewing, I have to try to find the episode online or miss it. When that happened with Justified, I could get the gist of the plot and re-engaged with the story. I've watched The Americans at times, but I find it hard to get back into if I miss an episode. On the face of it, it could be hypothesized that Justified must have simple storylines in comparison, but I don't think so. I think there's been ample (sufficient?) complexity in the storylines on Justified, but something's lacking on The Americans.

I've been watching the other seasons and there is a consistency in characters on this show. They're all - excepting Dewey Crowe and his dumbass family excepting Kendall and maybe Dickie Bennet - smart. The bad guys are smart, the good guys are smart - in different ways. The plots - excepting Ava and the prison thing - don't rely on one party being stupid. Not so on The Americans where the FBI is portrayed as a bunch of idiots and the 'Center' is scarcely better. The only smart people are the two main characters. 

The only explanation for the change in Ava's feelings is that she didn't want to go back to prison.  Her experience was horrendous and she had no reason to think it would be any different the second time.  And there's the pregnancy -- she'd give birth in prison and the child would be raised by someone else. 

That plotline never made much sense to me either.  As was said above, they had nothing on her to justify a long prison term.  A good lawyer could have helped her, but nobody ever suggested legal counsel for her -- not that I can recall.  It's another failing of season five.

Ugh, Season Five. I can barely watch it now and I have to FF through the whole Ava/prison plot. I do like watching Dumbass Danny fall on his knife and the end of Darryl Crowe but that's about it. I think Ava turns against Boyd when Raylan tells her Boyd had a chance to barter with the Marshalls for something and he chose himself - not Ava's freedom. It's then that she realizes that Boyd is always going to be out for Boyd. She has to be out for Ava. And so she does. Like Wynn Duffy. 

One of the best parts of rewatching is seeing Wynn escape from certain death so many times. And the way the writers explained things that the audience wondered about - Boyd's teeth for example - without shoving it in where it didn't fit. The symmetry of the seasons on this show is truly a work of art. (No pun intended) There were recurrent themes and threads and character traits that held true trough the series, as well as some character growth and change - good and bad. It's a tough act to follow.

Edited by soapfaninnc
  • Love 2

Heh... was just thinking that another great escape vehicle for Wynn could have been a pest exterminator van. You know, one of those with a giant cockroach on it. They could have secret compartments, too, right? 

• Love 2

The prison thing was awful on all levels, but everyone seems to forget that Boyd did actually get her release from jail secured by killing everyone involved in the original case against her involving Delroy's corpse. It took him a while but he did pull it off, so I'd say that was proof he was willing to do what it takes for her. And for some reason when it came to the marshal thing later, I got the impression that her dumping him is what caused him to give up. Yes, he shouldn't have done that, he probably shouldn't have even taken her break-up seriously, but that seemed to be the point where he gave up. I mean, if she hadn't broken up with him, wouldn't he have asked the marshals for her release?

Totally late to the party! Yes, a totally satisfying finale. Despite all the colorful characters, the show was pretty understated, and the ending was no exception. I loved how for the most part all characters and the worldview remained consistent for 6 seasons.

Sure, the obviously-Californian landscape was at times jarring (did someone say upthread that it was filmed near Lebec, CA? Even the final season? We kept saying that the mountains look eerily similar to those in San Jacinto), and there WERE some not-so-great moments (most of them coming in season 5), but I loved the little world that was Justified and Harlan, and I will miss it dearly.

I liked how the finale made quick work of both Markham and Boon (how perfectly in line with everything about the show that we didn't get a 5-minute gunfight or a huge explosion?) and that it promptly shifted its focus on the characters that count the most. I commend Yost for resisting the urge to go out with a (literal) bang. Bravo!

I know shows that fall out of favor with the Emmys don't tend to make a comeback, but I hope they recognize the quality of this show and reward it properly. I think the show itself deserves a Best Drama nod but so do Olyphant, Goggins, and (the mustache-less) Elliott. Wouldn't it be lovely to watch Walton Goggins make a speech? I mean, that man can read a phone book and still make women (and men, too, probably) swoon! He and his teeth alone deserve several Emmys!

Edited because Markham's bodyguard is most certainly not a British spy...

Edited by Ujio
  • Love 4

I just realized after reading the comments about Boon's shot that the way Raylan wears his hat was a (probably unintentional) callback to the pilot too.  When he first meets Boyd, Boyd comments to Devil on how well Raylan wears his hat--all casual, not down on his ears like Devil.  I never gave too much thought about how TO wore his Stetson (except to think that he looked really crazy handsome in it) but it's funny to see it actually became a plot point.

• Love 2

As the finale got going, I think most of us expected a Tarantino-esque bloodbath. Instead we got Kill Bill Vol. 2, with Ava as The Bride. Well played, writers. Well played.

Was the "four years later" - not three, not five - a sly tip of the (white) hat? I'd like to think so.

Incidentally, I always felt a QT vibe from Justified, what with all its lavish respect for its characters and dialogue. Don't forget that his Jackie Brown was an adaptation of Mr. Leonard's "Rum Punch", so he's something of a kindred to the show.

Edited by Swaig

As far as Ava goes, I just think in Season 5, that they wanted to get Ava to a specific place (and not necessarily one I found organic or true to the character), so they handwaved all the legal stuff. Which is a shame, because there were better ways to write that.

I just felt like the writers couldn't quite let Ava go dark enough to be culpable, evil and caught for it -- but they wanted her to go to prison. While I hated her hitting Ellen in season 4, to me the irony of the ensuing murder was the full-circle journey of Ava from abused to abuser and back again to standing up to this man who was going to hurt/kill more girls. So I can never quite get with her culpability or that (even in Raylan's eyes) she was somehow beyond redemption even though he had zero facts (and what facts he did have showed that Ava had been set up both before and after going to prison).

I love the show but I honestly will pretend most of Season 5 never existed, not least because of the entire ridiculous subplot about Ava. And to some degree, I loved that the finale not only seemed to negate some of the more stupid aspects (with Raylan making a judgment call and allowing Ava to keep on living the free air), but it also frankly did give us a really beautiful and poignant reason for Ava's ferocity and desperation over the second half of the season. So much more made sense once we realized she was pregnant.

And there'a  self-awareness there too in Ava -- while to agree with a few other posters, I felt Ava's fear level of Boyd was manufactured and artificial early in the season, her pregnancy and outcome in the finale do show us that she achieved a measure of self-awareness. No matter if Boyd meant no harm to that child -- Boyd is a hurricane and harm would come, because Boyd is proud of who he is. So she made the right call.

Meanwhile, since there's a lot of talk about "The Americans," I'll just chime in on the other side and say it's easily still one of the smartest, best and most beautifully produced shows on TV for me and that I look forward to it every week. I do think it's possible to love both "Justified" and "The Americans."

Meanwhile, the past 3 days I have listened to every version of "You'll Never Leave Harlan Alive" and it will always hit me right in the heart and make me think of this show.

• Love 2

I hadn't seen this mentioned anywhere, and it might be too obvious to say, but the letter with the newspaper clip came from the Seattle office, with Rachel's name written on it. Maybe that was the Seattle chief thing Art was being called in on -- he needed a replacement and recommended Rachel.

But regardless, there's no way Rachel wouldn't recognize Ava, so she sent it to Raylan to let him make the decision as to what to do about her. A nice little touch to all the characters.

Everything has already been said, but I thought it was perfect. As good an ending as could be hoped for. It's been a pretty good run of finales this year -- if the one I liked the least was Parks and Rec, that's a solid collection. This was the best so far. 

• Love 3

I hadn't seen this mentioned anywhere, and it might be too obvious to say, but the letter with the newspaper clip came from the Seattle office, with Rachel's name written on it. Maybe that was the Seattle chief thing Art was being called in on -- he needed a replacement and recommended Rachel.

But regardless, there's no way Rachel wouldn't recognize Ava, so she sent it to Raylan to let him make the decision as to what to do about her. A nice little touch to all the characters.

Everything has already been said, but I thought it was perfect. As good an ending as could be hoped for. It's been a pretty good run of finales this year -- if the one I liked the least was Parks and Rec, that's a solid collection. This was the best so far. 

I noticed that and loved that Raylan said it was a Junior Officer that mailed him the clipping. He was protecting everyone he could. I thought that passing it to Raylan was in character for Rachel, who probably remembers her sister falling in with the wrong guy and winding up dead as a result. Rachel showed compassion for her late sister's boyfriend - the father of her nephew. So I thought this was in character for her.

The Raylan we saw in the last season is the Raylan I always loved. Unethical at times, but for the right reasons (those that did not involve his private parts that is). My favorite times over the series where where he and Boyd were thrown together and worked together - reluctantly. Bulletville in Season 1, Bloody Harlan in Season 2, the drive to Nicky Augustine in Season 4....  I'm blocking out most of Season 5 because I don't think any of the main three - Raylan, Boyd or Ava - acted like themselves much of the season. 

Edited by soapfaninnc
  • Love 3

I loved the last episode.  It was probably the best finale I've ever seen, mainly for reasons already mentioned here.

Unpopular opinion with nice ending:  I never saw the chemistry between either Raylan/Boyd or Tim/Walton.  I've seen interviews with them where they are (adorably) convinced it's there but I just never, ever felt it even once.

However:  The final scene made me cry.  I actually teared up and sniffed as their prison conversation came to an end.  That is just one part of the finale that made it so brilliant and true.

The other?  My absolute, hands down, favourite character EVER -- Wynn Duffy made it out of Harlan alive in a wholly appropriate manner.  It was perfectly perfect.

• Love 1

As the finale got going, I think most of us expected a Tarantino-esque bloodbath. Instead we got Kill Bill Vol. 2, with Ava as The Bride. Well played, writers. Well played.

I never thought of the Kill Bill comparison, but you're so right! It was kind of similar.

• Love 1

BEST SERIES FINALE EVER!! Man I am late to the party here but WOW they knocked that out of the park! I was soo positive they were setting up a chincy Raylon-kills-Boyd ending but they did so much better. Speakin of...

Boyd Crowder is a fucking VILLAIN!! How awesome is Boyd? One of the very best characters in television and almost never gets any notice, it's a travesty. I thought it was so fitting that Markham's last words were basically some insulting "you hillbilly" bullshit right before Crowder put a bullet in his god damn eye. That has been a constant theme of Boyd and Justified, namely outsiders looking down on him and Appalachia in general as lesser and filled with imbeciles basically. Yet time and time again it was Boyd Crowder who was playing chess to others checkers, underestimating him at your own peril has been a constant in the show. Just PERFECT that he lobs frickin dynamite at the Marshalls then blows Markham away. Boyd Crowder is a BAD MAN, one of best outlaws in tv history, and I'm so happy that's how they played it out. Speaking of which...

Boyd not drawing on Raylan and Givens not killing him was PERFECT on several levels. It was redemption for Raylan, the guy had been off the rails with so many kills and so many questionable hell downright illegal decisions. For him to not just kill Boyd shows at the end of it Raylon was Just and was perfect circle to premier where he killed guy in Miami. Further, for Boyd to not just stupidly draw and go out in an idiot's blaze of bullets confirms his intelligence and worth. Boyd always implied Raylon was just a killer with a badge and Raylon always said Boyd was a narcissist with outlaw fantasies...BOTH were wrong. Just great, great stuff.

Given the general brutality of the show over the years I'm happy they went out on this note instead of the other way. If Boyd had drawn and Raylon killed him, then Boone would have killed Raylon- only way that could have been written. That would have been extremely powerful way to end series bit I prefer this much better.

Did I mention Boyd Crowder is a muthafuckin VILLAIN?

Great stuff Yost tho gotta say given the utter trash that The Americans is so often most of the props surely go to Elmore Leonard.

I'll miss you Justified! 

edit- and good Lord, how about "we dug coal together"?? What an amazing way to end the series, I literally cannot think of another show that touches it. Bravo Justified, Bravo.

Edited by tv-talk
  • Love 4

...did someone say upthread that it was filmed near Lebec, CA?

I made the comment about Ava moving to Lebec, as I live near there and found it somehow equivalent to Wynn moving to Fiji, or something like that.  Actually, the series was filmed up in the hills NE of Santa Clarita, with the town of Green Valley standing in for Harlan, according to Wikipedia.  The duel was filmed along Bouquet Canyon Reservoir, if you have Google Earth/Maps. 

Random thought:  Maybe Wynn got the $9 million, but Loretta got a brand new 4x4 truck.  Now that's what matters in Harlan.

• Love 2

In my television Nirvana, after about four or five more seasons of portraying events in a certain Albuquerque lawyer's career. we end up with a Leonard/Gilligan mashup, with Wynn Duffy, back from Fiji, crossing the country in a motorhome fit for a Rock Star, Scrabble-playin'  henchmen at the wheel. When passing through Omaha, Wynn has a Cinnabon craving, and stops at the nearest outlet, where a man with outsized talents for fast food management is behind the counter. Events ensue.....

• Love 6