Type keyword(s) to search

The DC Extended Universe: To Thanagar and Beyond!

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

This seems pretty obvious, but this particular Twitter account seems to have good connections.,.. It's probably more interesting (at least to me) that they're moving ahead with looking for directors for these particular films than that they're looking for women.

• Love 1

Sharing this here because it Batman gives a take on the current DC movie-verse, (plus a dig at the new Titans series) but it mostly about Teen Titans Go! to the Movies. (*spoilers*)  Latest HISHE Super Cafe:

Spoiler

"Fish Eminem" <-- *snort*

Edited by Trini
  • Love 3

Even weirder is the supposed description of Thomas Wayne.  He has been many things but I don't think 80s Trump is one of them.  Did one of the films producers watch Baldwin's Trump impression on SNL and say  "Hey, that's Batman's dad"?

• Love 9

Yeah, in most continuities, Thomas was a good guy who wanted to make Gotham a nicer place, and was sometimes even a doctor who helped underprivileged people. None of that says Trump circa 1980. But, of course, these are the same people who said "Superman should be really angsty all the time!" and "Batman brands criminals so they get murdered in prison, and wants to kill Superman because of space racism." 

I also love how they describe this movie as "darker than other DC based movies" as if the rest of the DCEU is just so light and cheerful. What the hell will this movie be, The Jokers story mixed with the Armenian Genocide? 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, cambridgeguy said:

Even weirder is the supposed description of Thomas Wayne.  He has been many things but I don't think 80s Trump is one of them.  Did one of the films producers watch Baldwin's Trump impression on SNL and say  "Hey, that's Batman's dad"?

I'm assuming they watched him in The Shadow and completely ignored the SNL stuff.  And I'm guessing that he's happy to do other roles rather than just the same Trump impression.  (True confession: I haven't watched SNL regularly since Kevin Nealon left, so I've barely seen the Trump thing, and most of the other bits from the past 25 years I haven't seen at all.)

24 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Yeah, in most continuities, Thomas was a good guy who wanted to make Gotham a nicer place, and was sometimes even a doctor who helped underprivileged people. None of that says Trump circa 1980. But, of course, these are the same people who said "Superman should be really angsty all the time!" and "Batman brands criminals so they get murdered in prison, and wants to kill Superman because of space racism." 

I also love how they describe this movie as "darker than other DC based movies" as if the rest of the DCEU is just so light and cheerful. What the hell will this movie be, The Jokers story mixed with the Armenian Genocide? 

I know they're trying to make the point that the Joker film isn't part of the connected universe; i.e., that this isn't an earlier version of Leto's Joker.  I know they're starting a line of darker Elseworlds comics with a name like "DC Black Label," so I'm wondering if they'll use similar branding for this.

15 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

FUCK THAT NOISE. And FUCK OFF to the person who thought this was a good idea and also who decided Baldwin was a good choice to play Thomas Wayne.

???????????????????????????????

• Love 3
6 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

This is even worse than the depiction of Jonathan Kent as someone who tells Clark to the other kids in the schoolbus drown rather than reveal his identity in Man of Steel!

And would rather die and let his wife and son watch him die than allow his kid to use his powers, when he could have easily gone so fast no one would know what happened! Its almost like someone at the DCEU doesn't get these characters at all...

• Love 8

This reminds me of Amazing Spider-Man 2 when suddenly we were supposed to care about Peter Parker's parents. Was anyone really desperate for the backstory of Thomas Wayne? Especially one that's anything like Donald Trump. As if we don't now use entertainment as a respite from that creature.

• Love 11

I wonder if he saw the initial reaction and decided it wasn't worth the hassle.   That's the double edged sword of social media these days - you might be able to dodge a bullet but it's not like the fans are always right.  For example, can you imagine what it would be like if Twitter existed back when Michael Keaton was cast as Batman?  The poor guy probably would have had to go into witness protection.

• Love 4

Who even wants a Joker movie?? Someone remind me of the last film centered on the villain of a more popular hero that did really well.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 6
39 minutes ago, Trini said:

Who even wants a Joker movie?? Someone remind me of the last film centered on the villain of a more popular hero did really well.

Don't you remember? Catwoman was a stunning success both financially and critically.

• Love 4

She was announced as Iris 2 years ago. That means if the movie shoots next year it won't come out until 2020 which means it will have been nearly 4 years since she was cast. That's insane.

I have no idea why we're getting a Joker movie exactly no one wants before we get a Flash movie that *could* be actually good and the shot in the arm the DC universe needs.

• Love 2
On 8/29/2018 at 11:20 PM, JessePinkman said:

She was announced as Iris 2 years ago. That means if the movie shoots next year it won't come out until 2020 which means it will have been nearly 4 years since she was cast. That's insane.

I have no idea why we're getting a Joker movie exactly no one wants before we get a Flash movie that *could* be actually good and the shot in the arm the DC universe needs.

They cut her scene(s) from Justice League because she was Rick Famuyiwa's choice for Iris, and the studio wanted to leave the option open for whoever was to direct The Flash to recast the role if they chose.  (James Wan was already attached to Aquaman when Amber Heard was cast, so I have to think that he was in on the selection.)   But yes, that's a very long time to wait to film the role (although not as long as Dwayne Johnson has been trying to get the Black Adam film made).

I think the Joker film (which is officially out-of-universe/Elseworlds, so that Joker has nothing to do with Jared Leto's Joker) is being made because certain influential filmmakers want to make it, not because Hamada or anyone else in charge at WB specifically wants it made.  I've also seen speculation that it may be getting hard to round up financing in Hollywood if you don't have any recognizable IP attached to your project, so if you want to make a noir fall-from-grace story, you need to make it about "The Joker" or it won't get made.

On 8/29/2018 at 5:59 PM, cambridgeguy said:

For example, can you imagine what it would be like if Twitter existed back when Michael Keaton was cast as Batman?  The poor guy probably would have had to go into witness protection.

I keep telling all of the millennials that if social media existed back in the late 70's and the 80's, then Marvel would have given up trying to make movies altogether.

The Marvel fans that claim that DC movies SUCK have apparently never seen any of these gems.

The only way you can watch these films is with two little robots sitting on either side of you.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Twilight Man said:

I keep telling all of the millennials that if social media existed back in the late 70's and the 80's, then Marvel would have given up trying to make movies altogether.

The Marvel fans that claim that DC movies SUCK have apparently never seen any of these gems.

The only way you can watch these films is with two little robots sitting on either side of you.

And then you'd hear "Well if they'd been true to the comics...." Yes, if they had only been more like the comics of the time they would have been better. This is what Hawkeye was wearing in the early 70s:

552586_v2.jpg

• Love 1

I'm not as into DC as I am Marvel but man, they had the perfect guy to play Superman and just wasted it. I've never even seen B vs S and I don't plan to. The Superman movie was a bad enough waste of two hours of my life.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Aw, if he does exit the franchise I'm going to be disappointed. In my opinion, casting Cavill was one of the things Warner Bros. did right.

Well, smeg. If they recast Cavill, they're going to recast Adams' Lois, too. Both were wasted in the last two films they were in, but I really liked them in MoS, and was hoping to see more of them in this 'universe'.

Of course, I don't know how complicated these things are to set up, but I'm really surprised they couldn't work things out just for a cameo.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 3

I was holding onto hope for Cavill and Adams to return in a MoS 2 that allowed for some romcom levity for Lois and Clark while tackling a new villain of a modernized Brainiac that initially masquerades on earth with a human guise as a tech magnate who has been collecting data all this time in a slow bid to take over Earth. Cyborg would've integrated well as part of the team up you don't see everyday.

Instead...the search for a new Kal El commences. I'm intrigued in just what/how they're going to approach this. Just recast him and Ben Affleck with new actors ala Batman Forever but keep Gal and Jason as WW and Aquaman? It seems like Supergirl is set to step in as the Kryptonian of the DC Extended Universe so maybe Clark will die and/or be offworld for a bit until they figure it out. With Batgirl also being developed, Batman is also primed to be benched (maybe by Bane offscreen) while Batgirl wins the battle for the cowl.

8 hours ago, BetterButter said:

6 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Aw, if he does exit the franchise I'm going to be disappointed. In my opinion, casting Cavill was one of the things Warner Bros. did right.

2 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I think moving from Cavill is for the best. They need a more charismatic actor in the role. They should also use the opportunity to find a younger actor like Marvel did when it cast Tom Holland as Spiderman.  

2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I like Henry and thought he was okay (albeit wasted as Superman). But as long as DC isn't stupid enough to axe Gal Gadot, i really don't give a rats ass what they do anymore.

16 minutes ago, Stenbeck said:

Cavill isn't the problem.

The awful scripts are.

Better to just nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Stenbeck said:

Cavill isn't the problem.

The awful scripts are.

Agreed. They could get a young Christopher Reeve back to play Superman and it wouldn’t matter unless they hire a writer who actually, you know, likes the character and understands Clark. I don’t see that happening any time soon given the WB’s mismanagement. 

• Love 11