Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E20: The Fortification Implementation

When Sheldon and Amy build a blanket fort, they come to major crossroads in their relationship. Also, Wolowitz meets the half-brother he never knew he had, and when Penny is invited to appear on Wil Wheaton’s podcast, she and Leonard have a huge, on-air argument.

First time in a long time a show literally made me LOL--especially from the point when Howard's half brother remarked about Howard being an astronaut, but I loved the fun with Schroedinger too.
  • Love 3

Leonard...I hate you. Did Penny ever say that she no longer wanted to be an actress? Wasn't that job just so she would not be destitute while still looking for acting jobs? And how have they NEVER talked about money?

The idea of Howard's brother upsets me. There are enough cast members, and also, that makes Howard's father pretty much an ass, now there is no doubt.

I love Wil Wheaton. And it will be funny if Kaley ends up in Clerks III as Penny.

Bernadette, shut up. No matter how tacky that house is, you don't get to tear shit down.

• Love 9

Leonard...I hate you. Did Penny ever say that she no longer wanted to be an actress? Wasn't that job just so she would not be destitute while still looking for acting jobs?

I thought she decided to quit acting because she was sick of going up for parts and not getting anywhere with her career? The job with Bernadette's company was Penny taking a chance at a new career, not just something to do between acting jobs. 

Am I remembering incorrectly?

• Love 12

Sheldon and Amy were my favorite parts. I love how they can relate to each and compromise for each other. Could you imagine the Sheldon of three or four years ago getting to this stage?

• Love 1

Why am I supposed to like Leonard with Penny? When Sheldon is doing a better job boyfriending you know Leonard is just the worst. He doesn't want Penny to act again but he doesn't like that she's successful at her current job. What does he want? Its a small-ish part in Clerks III, Penny could probably take a few vacation days and shoot her whole part if she got the role. I know they're engaged and they need to have conversations about these sorts of things, but when his entire point is "be less than me but not too much less" I don't want to see them together.

That blanket fort was amazing and I'm glad Amy and Sheldon had a fun date night and were able to compromise to keep the fun going. I've never loved her pushing him for more than he was comfortable with, but since he was the one to first suggest she stay late, I'm glad they had a great time. Also, I really want to build a blanket fort this weekend.

• Love 6

Mayim Bialik makes this show for me now. I love how Amy responds to Sheldon's childishness and ego. 

The fort was great. Sheldon was so sweet in there as they sat on the floor. I thought he was going to kiss Amy.

My favorite exchange -- 

Amy: Is this how the rest of the night is going to be?
Sheldon: I don't know the future.

• Love 5
Bernadette, shut up. No matter how tacky that house is, you don't get to tear shit down.

It's Howard's house and Bernadette will always be just a guest.

That's why I suggested last week that they buy a new house so they can both have a say in how it looks.

My memory on it is fuzzy so you could very well be right. I still hate Leonard for his behavior regardless.

I hate Leonard for being upset that she makes more money them him. How about a "Congratulations! That's so awesome." It is more money coming into the future family. How would he have reacted if she had become a famous actress with tonnes of money and he was considered Mr. Penny [Last Name Unknown] by everybody they met?

Edited by kili
  • Love 6
Why am I supposed to like Leonard with Penny? When Sheldon is doing a better job boyfriending you know Leonard is just the worst. He doesn't want Penny to act again but he doesn't like that she's successful at her current job. What does he want? Its a small-ish part in Clerks III, Penny could probably take a few vacation days and shoot her whole part if she got the role. I know they're engaged and they need to have conversations about these sorts of things, but when his entire point is "be less than me but not too much less" I don't want to see them together.

My thoughts exactly! Even if it's a larger part, it would take a couple of weeks at most, and as much as the pharma company values Penny, I'm sure they'd let her take a short unpaid leave if she doesn't have enough vacation time. There's absolutely no downside to that situation so I was surprised that Leonard was such a wet blanket about it.

Another thing that worries me is how they dealt with the financial stuff. If they're planning to get married (not that we've seen much progress to that end after nearly a year of engagement), they need to talk about each other's individual finances as well as their financial goals together. Penny should have known about Leonard's loans and Leonard should have known about Penny's investment portfolio. This is like when, right after they got engaged, she hinted at having a lot of credit card debt, but we never saw them discuss it in depth or come up with a plan to manage it. These two are going to be fighting about money a lot more than Howard and Bernadette.

• Love 2

It's funny, the way I saw the money fighting was more that Leonard was annoyed that he spend years in school to get his dream job and is still paying off debt while Penny messed around with acting and then walked into a high paying job almost on a whim. It's doesn't make his feelings right but I can see how that would translate in his head to 'I played by the rules and am still struggling while Penny gets things handed to her.' 

This was my thinking. I can't help but sympathize with Leonard on the unfairness of the situation. I mean, that's life, but it still sucks. I don't think it's a gender/relationship power struggle issue as much as it is about professional jealousy.

• Love 4
Penny messed around with acting and then walked into a high paying job almost on a whim. It's doesn't make his feelings right but I can see how that would translate in his head to 'I played by the rules and am still struggling while Penny gets things handed to her.'

I can't see that point at all. Penny played by the rules for years trying to get her dream job - she did not just mess around. When she grew dissatisfied with the crappy pay and prospects (and soul crushingness) of her dream job, she chose a job that pays well that is far from her dream job. She could have sucked at it and made no money and be quickly fired, but it turns out that she's really very good at it. Yay! for Penny finding a job that she has a talent for and will make her enough money so that she can invest for their future and maybe get to do some of her dream job on the side.

Leonard has his dream job that doesn't pay as much as hers. He has frittered money away for years eating out, going to conventions and buying toys instead of paying off his debt. Now, one does have to live a little, but these guys are shown spending a fair amount on wants instead of needs. Leonard could have gone out and gotten a job after he got his bachelors and not racked up so much debt. He maybe could have gotten a job in the public sector that pays better. He could have stopped messing around in the lab and gotten further with his research, but he chose to enjoy himself at his dream job. Fair enough. Sometimes you have to give up something to have your dream job. Sometimes you have to give up your dream job to have more financial security.

Leonard has nothing to complain about at all. If anybody, Penny should be annoyed with him for not mentioning his huge debt while he was running around spending money on unnecessary items (and lording it over Penny for her financial situation). Penny is the only one who has had to give up her dream job and take on a job that will make her more financially secure and comfortable. Leonard pushed her toward the decision. He doesn't get to be a whiny baby now.  He should thank his lucky stars that she listened to him, gave up her dream and he will now have more money to pay off his debts and retire one day.

Edited by kili
  • Love 8

Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention.  When did Leonard say he has massive amounts of debt?  All he said was that he was still paying on his student loans.  Penny's the one who lived beyond her means for years, sponging off of Leonard and Sheldon for food and free internet.  Leonard's paid some of her bills at times and helped with her rent.  Leonard even bought her a car when her old one broke down and the cost to fix it was more than what the car was worth. 

Penny's mentioned that she has maxed out all of her credit cards, although with her new job she's probably paying them off as quickly as she could.  But until recently, when Penny wanted to give Leonard a gift, she took the money out of his wallet to pay for it, or admitted that the gift was something she got for free when purchasing something for herself.

• Love 12

I liked the podcast segment.  It brought back the jerkier version of Wil Wheaton, which is always more entertaining.  I don't necessarily want evil Wil Wheaton back, but he's been pretty boring ever since he made his way off of Sheldon's enemies list.  My one gripe is that I thought Leonard should have made a Silent Bob reference instead of just telling Kevin Smith to shut up.

I also liked the segment with Howard's brother.  Raj was hilarious and I loved the joke about Howard talking about going to Space.

Boring Shamy is boring.  The only thing I liked was the Leonard joke.  Community ruined all other blanket forts for me.

• Love 1

Is it just me, or does Kaley Cuoco seem to talk with a pronounced lisp in recent episodes? I've always been annoyed at the constant pursing of her lips, but now it seems like she's adapting this other speech affectation, trying to sound cutesy or something. 

I can see Leonard's upset at learning that Penny out-earns him by so much, particularly since she more or less lucked into the pharma job. And the only reason she was hired was, like most things she's achieved in her life so far, because she is pretty. If she had a sterling personality with charisma rays that illuminated any room she entered but she weighed 185 lbs. and wore glasses to correct a lazy eye she probably would not have been hired by Bernadette's company. Leonard, on the other hand. went to grad school, racked up student debt and got an advanced degree in a scientific field. From his point of view, he's earning his money by using his brain, not via genetic gifts that he inherited.

• Love 2

And in academia, the tradeoff is security instead of the potential to make a bigger salary.  Scientists get grants to fund research and get raises, but not the same kind of bonuses and salaries you can have the potential to earn in corporations.  Why should he be surprised that someone working for Big Pharma and helping its profits is making a lot more money than he is?  Penny could lose her job tomorrow, and the guys have long-term appointments. 

• Love 1

Penny played by the rules for years trying to get her dream job - she did not just mess around.

I always had the impression that Penny kind of half-assed it with the acting -- that she expected because she was young and pretty and blonde that she'd become a star. I thought she had admitted that acting really wasn't her passion.

So Bernadette is now a one-note character? Bitchy, snide and unpleasant in every interaction she has with the other characters.

• Love 2
Why am I supposed to like Leonard with Penny? When Sheldon is doing a better job boyfriending you know Leonard is just the worst.

Exactly. Penny with Leonard was always nerd-fantasy wish fulfullment, but now the pairing is completely ridiculous.  Penny can do better.

The idea of Howard's brother upsets me. There are enough cast members...

On comedies, you know the end is near whenever they bring in Cousin Oliver. I thought of that trope as soon as I saw the younger brother.

http://crustula.com/2012/10/08/the-worst-examples-of-cousin-oliver-syndrome-in-tv-sitcom-history/

Edited by LydiaMoon1
  • Love 3
And the only reason she was hired was, like most things she's achieved in her life so far, because she is pretty.

The reason she got the job is because she shared a mutual fear of Bernadette with her new boss. He wasn't going to hire her until then.

I can see Leonard's upset at learning that Penny out-earns him by so much, particularly since she more or less lucked into the pharma job.

We've seen her working very hard at this job. She's had to learn a lot of new terms and she has to be able to connect with people. It's not like winning the lottery. You actually have to be good at it.

If she had a sterling personality with charisma rays that illuminated any room she entered but she weighed 185 lbs. and wore glasses to correct a lazy eye she probably would not have been hired by Bernadette's company.

We see Penny exercising all the time. It is something she works at so she does look good. It is a requirement of both her jobs. I thought lazy eye was correctable. Again, she's not winning the lottery here. She would never have gotten the chance at the job without Bernie, but Penny would hardly be the first person to improve their chances at getting work through networking.

From his point of view, he's earning his money by using his brain, not via genetic gifts that he inherited.

Not via generic gifts he inherited? Did he get his brains from the Wonderful Wizard of Oz for killing the Wicked Witch?

Leonard has a brain for physics and math. That shows he likely has a high logical-mathematical intelligence and probably visual-spatial intelligence. Add in Musical-rhythmic intelligence because he can play a cello.

Meanwhile, Penny has demonstrated strong Interpersonal intelligence (the ability to connect with people and read a room), verbal-linguistic intelligence and even kinesthetic intelligence. The first two are what are causing her to excel at her new job. Penny is using her brain too. She could be the prettiest person in the world, but not being able to talk about the drugs or connect with people would cause her to fail at it.

Leonard probably agrees that it isn't fair that she makes more than him because he thinks his intelligence is worth more than hers, but her intelligence is currently causing her to generate more money for her employer than he is for his. That's why Bernie makes more money than Howard too. Just because the guys don't value interpersonal intelligence or biological sciences, doesn't mean the world doesn't.

I think Leonard should be happy for Penny. If he thought of her as an equal in the relationship, he would. Run, Penny, run!

• Love 10

I agree that Leonard should be happy for Penny if she is now out earning him.  Also, Penny mooched off Sheldon and Leonard especially for years, so now that she's making all this money she should be returning the favor and Leonard should let her.

I loved building forts as a kid.  The Sheldon and Amy segments were my favorite.

• Love 1

Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention.  When did Leonard say he has massive amounts of debt?  All he said was that he was still paying on his student loans.  Penny's the one who lived beyond her means for years, sponging off of Leonard and Sheldon for food and free internet.  Leonard's paid some of her bills at times and helped with her rent.  Leonard even bought her a car when her old one broke down and the cost to fix it was more than what the car was worth. 

Penny's mentioned that she has maxed out all of her credit cards, although with her new job she's probably paying them off as quickly as she could.  But until recently, when Penny wanted to give Leonard a gift, she took the money out of his wallet to pay for it, or admitted that the gift was something she got for free when purchasing something for herself.

Yeah, I'm in the minority here, but I HATED Penny and I usually think Leonard is a whiner. For years, Leonard bailed her out - buying her dinner, letting her sponge off of their wi-fi, buying her a car when hers quit.... So not only does she still steal money from his wallet to pay for his birthday present, she takes all of her money and invests it and doesn't even offer to pay him back. Then she lords it over him. I never have bought this relationship and this is why. I miss Penny from earlier seasons - she was sweet and she cared about people. 

I loved Howard's brother and Amy and Sheldon's blanket fort but I could have done without Penny and Will Wheaton ganging up on Leonard. Who really gives a crap if she makes another low rent film? She's been show to be a fairly poor actress. But she could have at least offered to pay Leonard back for the years he's spent bailing her out.

Edited by soapfaninnc
  • Love 3

For some reason, I was really happy when Sheldon mentioned his brother and sister.  Yeah for a show that actually remembers the history of their own characters! (at least sometimes)

Did Howard's parents get divorced?  I thought his dad abandoned the family, but I don't remember a divorce.  The fact that Howard never saw his father again after he left seems very odd now that we know he apparently just went off and started a new family.  Especially if his dad's name was still on the house.  The half brother just really came out of left field for me and struck an odd note.

I absolutely loved the blanket fort.  It's great when Sheldon's capacity for childishness is used for experiencing joy at simple pleasures.

• Love 3
So not only does she still steal money from his wallet to pay for his birthday present, she takes all of her money and invests it and doesn't even offer to pay him back.

She paid him back for the car and he wouldn't take the money. They had an entire plot about that. He was very offended.

I'm impressed Penny invested her money. A lot of people who suddenly get money would be spending it like crazy.

Then she lords it over him.

When? She could actually be accused of keeping it a secret. He had no idea how much money she made or that she was investing. It was only when he challenged her about taking an acting gig that it came out she was financially comfortable.

They should know about each other's finances since the are engaged. It's totally sit-comming that it never came up before they were on the air.

Who really gives a crap if she makes another low rent film? She's been show to be a fairly poor actress.

Kevin Smith seems to be a fan of her acting and lots of people would like to be in a Kevin Smith film.

• Love 5
Who really gives a crap if she makes another low rent film? She's been show to be a fairly poor actress.

Who gives a crap?  Hmmmm, offhand I would say.....Penny.  Being a successful actress is her dream, and the possibility of working in a film by a known director is understandably important to her.

Edited by LydiaMoon1
  • Love 4

The job with Bernadette's company was Penny taking a chance at a new career, not just something to do between acting jobs. 

Am I remembering incorrectly?

That's how I remember it.

There are tax reasons not to pay off your student loan debt first, but the biggest sign Leonard doesn't have more money is that he needed a roommate.  When it comes to money, Sheldon was usually more responsible (they covered that in an early episode) but Leonard has never been shown as living beyond his means--just he'd rather have a roommate and more disposable income than live alone and be stretched thin (it's a pretty big two-person apartment.)  Student loan debt was probably an investment in future earnings, and as others have noted, being an academic is (kind of) a choice of more stability and freedom vs. lower pay.

• Love 3

It's Howard's house and Bernadette will always be just a guest.

They are married. How is it Howard's home and Bernadette is always just a guest? Was the apartment that Bernadette had just HER place and Howard was just living there? It is their home jointly since Howard inherited it and he and Bernadette are married.

It's funny, the way I saw the money fighting was more that Leonard was annoyed that he spend years in school to get his dream job and is still paying off debt while Penny messed around with acting and then walked into a high paying job almost on a whim. It's doesn't make his feelings right but I can see how that would translate in his head to 'I played by the rules and am still struggling while Penny gets things handed to her.' 

In a previous episode it was shown that Lenoard was ok with Penny making more money than him since he grew up in a home where the woman (his mom) dominated her husband (his dad).  I think he was shocked that she just didn't make more money but alot more.

I loved the fort with Sheldon and Amy and Amy hiding a stash of clothes and toothbrush in case she was asked to sleep over. Loved Wil's cameo.  Thought the whole Kevin Smith movie thing was meh.  Agreed that Penny can still do acting part time. But she was in LA how long and no jobs had panned out but she is succeeding at sales.  I can see why Lenoard would be upset.

• Love 4
Regarding the film -- didn't both Penny and Wil Wheaton get fired from it before it was done?

The director fired Penny and Will said that he would quit if Penny wasn't re-instated so he was fired too.

They are married. How is it Howard's home and Bernadette is always just a guest? Was the apartment that Bernadette had just HER place and Howard was just living there? It is their home jointly since Howard inherited it and he and Bernadette are married.

I agree. That's how it should be, but that isn't how Howard (and some others) seem to be taking it. He is refusing to consider moving a wall because it is his childhood home and the show is portraying her as a bitch for even thinking about it. If it is their joint home, it should at least be considered and judged on its merits (whether they want an open plan, whether it will look good and whether they can afford it). If they have to take into consideration it's Howard's childhood home and that he gets final veto, it isn't really her home too.

• Love 6

She paid him back for the car and he wouldn't take the money. They had an entire plot about that. He was very offended.

I'm impressed Penny invested her money. A lot of people who suddenly get money would be spending it like crazy.

When? She could actually be accused of keeping it a secret. He had no idea how much money she made or that she was investing. It was only when he challenged her about taking an acting gig that it came out she was financially comfortable.

They should know about each other's finances since the are engaged. It's totally sit-comming that it never came up before they were on the air.

Kevin Smith seems to be a fan of her acting and lots of people would like to be in a Kevin Smith film.

When she looked down her nose at him after revealing that and telling him he needed to invest his money. That's when. And after she tried to pay him back for the car we were treated to a scene where we find out that she's still stealing money from his wallet to pay for his birthday present - supposedly after she's making these gobs of money. 

And I'm not a Kevin Smith fan, so I wasn't impressed. I think the whole Penny/Leonard thing is unrealistic because I don't like Penny - not now. I do like that she has a career and she's successful - I have no trouble with that. But I hate the way she looks down on Leonard most of the time. Bernadette gets called out on it- Penny should as well. 

And I would have never dated a whiny butt like Leonard. I just think the whole thing is really farfetched. I think - even though Sheldon is a jerk most of the time - Sheldon and Amy and Howard and Bernadette are much more of a match than Penny and Leonard. 

• Love 4

No, Leonard is insecure about their relationship and what he's bringing to the table, so letting him know that she's now financially independent is something she would have wanted to put off as long as possible.

I always had the impression that Penny kind of half-assed it with the acting -- that she expected because she was young and pretty and blonde that she'd become a star. I thought she had admitted that acting really wasn't her passion.

She recognized that she had other passions and didn't need to be a success at acting to be happy. Just because she stopped looking doesn't mean she was going to turn down a chance if one came along unexpectedly.

Regarding the film -- didn't both Penny and Wil Wheaton get fired from it before it was done?

Yes, but the director had enough footage that he didn't need them any more to finish the film.

• Love 1

Given that the episode they showed in the 9:30 slot was the one where Penny tries to give Leonard the money for the car back and they start to argue about their finances, I was surprised that they were going back to this old storyline again. I understood why Leonard was so upset that Penny makes way more than him. I have the same position that Leonard has (except not in physics), and it's deplorable (to me anyways) how little academics make after putting in so much work for the education. Academia is not really a stable career anymore. Unless you are tenured, you are in danger of losing your job at any time if your research isn't interesting or successful enough to obtain continued research funding. Academia does give you the freedom to work on things that you are passionate about (which is why so many stay in it), but it's only profitable/stable so long as someone or some agency with money finds it equally exciting.

In any case, Leonard shouldn't have been surprised that Penny makes way more than him now, given how many times over the years we've been beat over the head with the fact that Bernadette makes more money than Howard. Even though he has a Master's and not a Ph.D., he's probably not making that much less than Leonard, especially with the astronaut cred. 

I'm starting to believe that the Penny-Leonard wedding is never going to happen, although I can't imagine that they would end the series with anything but a happy ending for Penny and Leonard, and I can't see how Leonard could have a happy ending without Penny involved somehow. I just don't see what Leonard brings to the relationship except faux devotion to Penny. I say "faux" because it seems like he tears her down every chance he gets rather than truly love and support her. He literally just wants her as a trophy that he can put on a pedestal and take down to parade around for everyone to see. He wants her to be successful only in the context of how good it makes him look. For someone who once led a committee on getting women interested in the STEM fields, Leonard comes across as one of the most chauvinistic men in the group (even worse than Howard, and almost as bad as Raj, who at least has the excuse of cultural upbringing). Leonard clearly hasn't developed the social skills to know how to treat a woman properly. 

• Love 1
I think having Howard's brother from another mother on the show was a one and done deal.  At least I hope it was.  Howard has gone through a lot, he doesn't need to have inheritance issues.

Aren't the inheritance issues hammered out?  I thought that Howard said that the lawyers had gotten his father to sign off on his mother's house and it was all his.

Howard's brother has no claim on Howard's mother's assets and  I doubt Howard ever thought he would get anything from his Dad. If Howard's dad is still alive, he would have to be a major dick to go after his son's house after he abandoned him as a child - but Howard's dad does seem to be a dick. If Howard's dad died already, the house was owned in joint tenancy with Howard's Mom, so I think she gets it automatically without it going through probate...at least that's how it goes here. Of course, this show rarely lets facts get in the way of a good plot, so Howard's brother will probably end up living there so Howard has a new person to fight with about keeping the house as a shrine to his mother.

I thought she had been shown to be a decent actress who just had trouble getting any good opportunities. I remember an episode where the gang went to see Penny in one of her plays, and even Sheldon thought she was really good (and he hadn't even wanted to go in the first place).

• Love 5

Actually, when they went to see her in Streetcar, they showed her to be really good.

• Love 5

Although Bernadette got her the interview, Penny actually got the job because the interviewer was going to send her on her way, until they bonded over snarking over Bernadette's bullying.

Penny has admitted to Leonard that the reason she's done so well at her job is because she's pretty, and sometimes a bit flirty.  To be fair here, Penny does seem to know her stuff, so she's not stupid; and Leonard did seem to be somewhat onboard with the flirting thing.  I remember him as being a bit taken aback that Penny flirted when she had to, to make sales, a tiny bit proud that she could turn on the charm when needed, and very proud that she was doing so well.  The part about Penny out-earning him really threw him for a loop, but if I'd spent years getting an advanced degree and then find out that someone with only a high school education could make double my salary after only a year on the job...I'd be pretty pissed and wondering why I even bothered with all that advanced education.

As for Howard, his father left, but we don't know for a fact if he just walked off or if his mother just told him that.  And even if Howard's father abandoned the family, there's nothing to say a divorce didn't happen after that, although it seems strange that the father's name was still on the deed. 

I wonder if the new story line will be that Howard's father left for a few nights after a fight with mom, and she served him with divorce papers before he could return.  For all we know, Howard's mom and dad fought often and his father would then leave for a couple of days for a cool-off period, but at some point Howard's mother said "Enough" and divorced Howard's dad. 

We only know what Howard has said about his parent's breakup, and he was young when that happened.  He really only knows what his mother told him.  Howard might have been terrified to consider any other scenario than the one he was presented with.  His father was already gone, Howard was only what, eight?  He surly didn't want his only remaining parent mad at him.

If this show was a drama, we'd have Howard find out that both parents were flawed, but Mom won, in the sense that she got Dad out and Howard was turned into a combination of a focus for her need to be needed, and by successfully preventing Howard to ever have contact with Dad again, she got to tell the story of Howard's life.  Dad's evil, and Mom is a saint who only wants the best for her little boy, no matter the cost to Howard.  Yada, yada, yada.

But this is a comedy, so Howard finds out his father left, started another family, and because his newfound half brother is impressed by him, and also a perv, everything's good.

It is bad enough that Bernadette forced Howard to get rid of the Tardis.  Now, she wants to make drastic changes to his childhood home.  This is the same woman who wouldn't get married to Howard unless he signed a prenup.  She is really one controlling bitch.

It's Bernadette's home too.  It is the place where she and Howard will spend their lives and raise any eventual children they may have. She has every right to want it to reflect her taste, and Howard should want his wife to feel comfortable in THEIR home. 

Edited by LydiaMoon1
  • Love 13

There are tax reasons not to pay off your student loan debt first, but the biggest sign Leonard doesn't have more money is that he needed a roommate. 

Until this episode though we've never really been given to believe that Leonard has money issues.  This is the guy who used to pay Penny's rent and a lot of her bills, took her to Switzerland, bought her a car, basically buys all the collectibles, comics, toys and takeout food he could ever want to buy - in short he's never been shown to be short of money.  I don't buy for one minute that he's had student loan debt hanging over his head all these years.  It's a convenient plot point that they certainly took their time getting to if true!  And honestly he came from a well-to-do home with no shortage of money - maybe  not Richie Rich rich, but well off.  Not to mention that he got his doctorate at 24 (referenced in an early episode) to accomplish this he had to have demonstrated some serious smarts.  He wasn't eligible for any scholarships or bursaries?  Not believing that one for a minute.

• Love 12
I'm starting to believe that the Penny-Leonard wedding is never going to happen, although I can't imagine that they would end the series with anything but a happy ending for Penny and Leonard

Hmmmm: "how I met your physicist". This time they BOTH die. 

I decided last night I absolutely HATE L&P as a couple. Not overly fond of them individually at this point, esp. compared to their personas the first couple of years of the show. 

Bernie is written uglier all the time, but I agree that they cannot live in Howard's childhood home as a museum to his mother. Either she gets a say in how it's decorated, or sell it and move. 

Blanket fort...cute, but it's been done. Troy and Abed own pillow forts. 

• Love 1

I enjoyed the fight between Penny and Leonard. I don't blame Leonard for being surprised and a little annoyed when he found out Penny made so much more than he did; it demonstrated a shift in the way things have always been, and he was unsettled. A very human reaction; it was just comedic gravy for it to be caught in a podcast. (Remember, without conflict there is no comedy.)

I'm glad Penny has a "money guy". Her employer probably has something set up to help employees with investments; lots of companies do that. It makes more sense for her to rely on a professional than for Penny to suddenly be an investment genius.

• Love 5

Please writers. You can't see it but I'm on my knees, hands clasped, puppy dog eyes. I'm begging you. Please stop all the fighting between Penny and Leonard. It's not funny. It's boring.

I didn't like Howard getting a brother either. I wonder if they planned on that before Susi died. Howard was funny but the brother seemed like tv dinner mashed potatoes. I did laugh when Howard wanted the brother to leave until he brought up the astronaut stuff.

I'm considering not watching anymore and that's sad because I use to love this show. I keep thinking Ugh, how many more years is this show on instead of Darn, this show is only on a couple more years. Take a tip from George Costanza and leave on a high note.

• Love 2
Yes, it is Bernadette's home too, but ever since Howard's mom died we haven't seen Bernadette compromise on anything.  It is her way or the highway. 

**shrugs**  Howard married a woman just like his mom, right down to the yelling.  I assume that's what he likes.  It's certainly what he's used to. 

Come to think of it, she has been a controlling jerk ever since she married Howard.  I just wish Howard would stand up for himself. 

I suspect Howard will eventually rebel by insulting Bernadette in the same nasty, passive-agressive way he used to insult his mother.  I always found that painful to watch. 

She must be great in the sack, because outside of that she brings nothing to the table other than $$$.

Howard is happily married and thriving. Bernadette's been right there helping him through the loss of his mother, she has supported him professionally (I'm not sure he would have survived his stint as an astronaut without Bernadette's encouragement and support), and she brings stability to his life. Yes, she can be a bear at times, but with Bernadette's love and support Howard has achieved more personal and professional success than all of his doctor friends put together.

Edited by LydiaMoon1
  • Love 7

Yes, she can be a bear at times,

At times? She's a bully pretty much all the time.

An empathetic wife who's "helping him through the loss of his mother" might understand that callously making redecorating plans to her husband's childhood home barely weeks after his mother's death might be upsetting.

I agree with other posters that the home will never also be Bernadette's also in Howard's eyes.  He will want to keep everything exactly the same as he remembers it, and that isn't really fair to her if you think about it.  Not that she should want to go in and completely gut it (esp right away), but she should have the chance to put their stamp on it as a couple and not just as Howard and his mom's taste.

Edited by shipmate
  • Love 4

IIRC, Howard only balked at tearing down the wall. He didn't say a word about stripping the floors, changing the lights, or getting new furniture. Hello, compromise.

Heeee.

I was surprised that Howard wasn't more upset about finding out that his father had not only left him and his mother but started a whole new family. That would stir up a lot of questions for me. He switched gears awfully fast just because his brother asked him about being an astronaut. I'm not sure I believe that. I mean, I can believe he wants to go on and on about being an astronaut (we've seen him do that), but to not return to the topic after his brother left, maybe via Bernadette asking him if he's okay, I was surprised not to get something about him still being angry with his father. He's come to terms with his father not wanting him or his mother, he might have resolved in his head that maybe the guy just wasn't cut out for fatherhood or marriage, but to find out that his father created a whole new life with another family? That's pretty big. I'm not sure I would have been so immediately accepting of it all.

• Love 1

That's how I remember it.

There are tax reasons not to pay off your student loan debt first, but the biggest sign Leonard doesn't have more money is that he needed a roommate.  When it comes to money, Sheldon was usually more responsible (they covered that in an early episode) but Leonard has never been shown as living beyond his means--just he'd rather have a roommate and more disposable income than live alone and be stretched thin (it's a pretty big two-person apartment.)  Student loan debt was probably an investment in future earnings, and as others have noted, being an academic is (kind of) a choice of more stability and freedom vs. lower pay.

Is Sheldon more responsible with money?  I recall an episode where he had a bunch of uncashed paychecks in drawer.  And there was the time he loaned Penny money and, in an very unSheldonlike manner, he was not at all concerned with how she spent the money or how soon she could pay it back.  (both could be from the same episode)

• Love 1

Until this episode though we've never really been given to believe that Leonard has money issues.  This is the guy who used to pay Penny's rent and a lot of her bills, took her to Switzerland, bought her a car, basically buys all the collectibles, comics, toys and takeout food he could ever want to buy - in short he's never been shown to be short of money.  I don't buy for one minute that he's had student loan debt hanging over his head all these years.  It's a convenient plot point that they certainly took their time getting to if true!  And honestly he came from a well-to-do home with no shortage of money - maybe  not Richie Rich rich, but well off.  Not to mention that he got his doctorate at 24 (referenced in an early episode) to accomplish this he had to have demonstrated some serious smarts.  He wasn't eligible for any scholarships or bursaries?  Not believing that one for a minute.

I agree with all of this. I don't remember if there is a Leonard Dad in the picture, however, his mom is a successful woman that I'm sure paid for Leonards education. Not buying it either.