Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

• Start Topic

I tried popping pop corn in a glass bowl in the microwave, it was a 70s pyrex bowl, the popcorn wen all over the place (I forgot to cover it) made a mess and broke the bowl. So then I tried a 70s Tupperware bowl, the kernels burned into the bowl, made indentations into the plastic, had to throw it out. Then I tried my Corning Ware sauce pan with lid, it worked ok, but it was hard to carry the pan, the handles get very hot and they're heavy. I just didn't like messing with them. So I bought the silicone contraption and it's light weight, has it's own silicone lid and I like it just fine. I don't like standing over the stove shaking the popcorn.

• Love 2

Glad to hear you weren't singing, FriendP. When I was having a root canal in tooth #2 (The one next to the wisdom tooth) I was listening to my Walkman.  It is not a good idea to begin howling along with Warren Zevon during Werewolves Of London - it scares the dentist with the drill.

I used to have an air-popper, but thanks to an unpopped kernel, I had to go back to the  abovementioned dentist for a crown. I gave away the popper and don't eat popcorn any more.

• LOL 5
1 minute ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Glad to hear you weren't singing, FriendP. When I was having a root canal in tooth #2 (The one next to the wisdom tooth) I was listening to my Walkman.  It is not a good idea to begin howling along with Warren Zevon during Werewolves Of London - it scares the dentist with the drill.

I used to have an air-popper, but thanks to an unpopped kernel, I had to go back to the  abovementioned dentist for a crown. I gave away the popper and don't eat popcorn any more.

I got a little tipsy on beer after I had my wisdom teeth out at nineteen. I decided it was a good idea to eat a bag of Lays. Busted all my stitches. My dentist was not happy with me.

2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

At one of my flower shops, an assistant was nuking popcorn and she accidentally set the timer for 30 minutes instead of 3. The horrible smell lasted for days.

The first time I tried to make microwave popcorn, I was at work at a now-closed army depot in my area.  The civilian personnel office(where I worked)was in the same building as the fire department, which had the only microwave.

I burned it.  And you could smell it EVERYWHERE.

10 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Which one did you buy?

I had to go look. My smarta$$ answer is the turquoise one. But what you're wanting to know is Zulay, I got it from Walmart, they have bunches and so does Amazon. I didn't look at Target, but I'll bet they have several also. I really did buy the one I got because it was turquoise. Looking at them and reviews, it seemed like 6 of one/half a dozen of the other, so I got the color I loked.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

I still have one that was given to me as a gift all the way back in high school  I don't like air poppers.  I have two problems with them.  Every so often it launched a kernel across the room.  And secondly, plain popcorn out of a hot air popper tastes like packing peanuts.

tr5555556v c  <---Sorry about that. Bosco wanted to walk on the keyboard.

When I had my air popper, I used a dish towel to make an "awning" from the chute to the opposite end of the bowl to keep those rocket kernels controlled.

• LOL 6
5 hours ago, Leeds said:

I successfully got microwaved popcorn (and anything with microwaved fish) banned from a previous workplace.  I have no problem with either, but for myself in the safety of my own home, not in a hermetically sealed office.

Microwaved popcorn should be banned from EVERY workplace! I had one in which my desk was near the break room. When someone would burn popcorn, it was so hard to keep from vomiting the rest of the day. Sorry if that is TMI. I cannot STAND the smell.

1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

When I had my air popper, I used a dish towel to make an "awning" from the chute to the opposite end of the bowl to keep those rocket kernels controlled.

Hi Bosco! I have never had any issues with rocket kernels since on mine it comes down a little chute. I then add a little melted butter and salt. Yum.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Hey, no problem.  I think we know that what Bosco wants, Bosco gets.  ;-) 

Edited by Leeds
"we" not "we've"
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Do you mean get off your keister and travel to Walmart?

I went to my local Walmart and found diddly squat.  i wasn't looking for diddly squat, I wanted to look at popcorn poppers.

I have a really small microwave.  Top to bottom internal dimensions, roughly 8 inches.  Front to back and left to right shouldn't be  an issue, but top to bottom limits my options when it comes to microwave popcorn poppers.

Wait, popcorn poppers go IN the microwave?

• LOL 1

I had a popcorn popper that was really just a heavy duty plastic bowl with a lid that was for the microwave.  I believe it used microwave specific popcorn, like the Orville Redenbacker stuff in the jar (not sure why this was different from air popper popcorn but apparently it was.)  I don't really like microwave popcorn and the lid is long gone, but the bowl comes in really handy sometimes.  

• Useful 2
22 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Wait, popcorn poppers go IN the microwave?

There are a lot of regular size, and mini popcorn poppers made just for the microwave.   Just search "Microwave Popcorn Poppers", and then you'll probably get popcorn popper ads all over your internet pages.     

I never go by the time on the side of the popcorn bag, or the popcorn button on the microwave, because it will charcoal the popcorn. stink the entire house up, and the smell lasts for a long time.    So, I put the time in, listen until the number of pops starts to go down, and then turn the microwave off.   You get more unpopped ones, but the popcorn doesn't start to burn either. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, icemiser69 said:

So for giggles I was watching the weather coverage of Henri.   With all of the technology meteorologists have, and it seemed like they still had no clue where Henri would land, and once it landed what direction it would take. 

I live near NYC. Last night when I went to bed, the storm was projected to basically come right over our heads. I woke up this morning to find it was going to land in RHODE ISLAND! Wow this one was a tough one to predict, apparently. I'm not complaining. We have a solar panel system and a battery system that is THIS FAR (like hours) from being up and running. Boy would I have been irritated if....

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I live near NYC. Last night when I went to bed, the storm was projected to basically come right over our heads.

I live on Long Island and I was worried all day yesterday and last night about Henri.  Thankfully, it didn't hit us.  I always worry about losing power and trees falling on my house.  I don't worry about flooding because I live on a hill. 

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, AnnA said:

I live on Long Island and I was worried all day yesterday and last night about Henri.  Thankfully, it didn't hit us.  I always worry about losing power and trees falling on my house.  I don't worry about flooding because I live on a hill. 

I'm in central NJ and the NOAA site had a "tropical storm conditions" warning; got some heavy rain overnight and lighter rain earlier in the day but there's a fair bit of blue sky last I looked outside. Still predicting showers/thunderstorms tonight, though, so who knows? We were supposed to go to my parents' for dinner but my brother cancelled because of uncertain weather. I could have gone (I live much closer) but I had a headache all day, which I am blaming on the weather.

• Love 3
On 8/21/2021 at 4:59 PM, icemiser69 said:

Do you mean get off your keister and travel to Walmart?

nope, bought it online. I have to do most of my shopping online.

Editing to add, I just measured my popcorn popper bowl and it's 6 inches, the lid fits down inside and will only come above the popper if you are popping a lot. Hope that helps with your search.

Edited by friendperidot
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I'm in central NJ and the NOAA site had a "tropical storm conditions" warning; got some heavy rain overnight and lighter rain earlier in the day but there's a fair bit of blue sky last I looked outside. Still predicting showers/thunderstorms tonight, though, so who knows? We were supposed to go to my parents' for dinner but my brother cancelled because of uncertain weather. I could have gone (I live much closer) but I had a headache all day, which I am blaming on the weather.

The local news and the Weather Channel always make such a big deal out of these storms.  They make me feel like we're expecting the end of the world.  Today I could see that they were a little disappointed but they tried to talk it up anyway.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, AnnA said:

The local news and the Weather Channel always make such a big deal out of these storms.  They make me feel like we're expecting the end of the world.  Today I could see that they were a little disappointed but they tried to talk it up anyway.

My parents did get some water in their basement if it makes them feel any better. 😉

Luckily my dad checked because it wasn't enough to set off the water alarm. 

Apparently Henri decided to go to Rhode Island instead.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Apparently Henri decided to go to Rhode Island instead.

That's good.  We wouldn't want Rhode Island to feel left out.  After all New Jersey and Long Island get hit too often.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, AnnA said:

That seems like such a nice area to live. I lived in Lawrence for a short time years ago and really liked the town. Close to NYC if you want to go and far enough away as well. I do know that Long Island, etc gets pounded by hurricanes frequently. That would not be fun.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

As for the second bold part, I agree with that and it really pisses me off.  Those weather systems can be very dangerous.  Loss of life and property are a real risk, and yet when a storm isn't as dangerous as they expected it to be, they seem disappointed.

I remember seeing quite a few clips a few years ago about some reporters in a storm zone who were bravely leaning into the wind, trying to make it look as if it was blowing so hard they were having trouble walking or even standing upright, when behind them in the frame, a man and his dog were strolling along as if there was no storm at all.

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, bankerchick said:

I remember seeing quite a few clips a few years ago about some reporters in a storm zone who were bravely leaning into the wind, trying to make it look as if it was blowing so hard they were having trouble walking or even standing upright, when behind them in the frame, a man and his dog were strolling along as if there was no storm at all.

Several years ago my friends and I walked into the shot of a weather channel person who was acting like the wind was going to blow him over.  Our 15 seconds of fame.  We immediately called my friend's husband to ask if he spotted us..  He's a big TWC watcher. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
On 8/20/2021 at 4:43 PM, peacheslatour said:

At one of my flower shops, an assistant was nuking popcorn and she accidentally set the timer for 30 minutes instead of 3. The horrible smell lasted for days.

that's how my husband destroyed one our microwaves year ago and the smell lingered for days...

17 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Several years ago my friends and I walked into the shot of a weather channel person who was acting like the wind was going to blow him over.  Our 15 seconds of fame.  We immediately called my friend's husband to ask if he spotted us..  He's a big TWC watcher. 

Incidents like that are why Mike Seidel from TWC shows up for anything, but isn't at the hotspot of the storm like Jim Cantore is.    I distinctly remember Mike pulling that stunt, and people walking behind him.      Then there is the NBC (not CNN, thanks for the correction) incident where a reporter was in a canoe, 'because of deep water on the street', when some people walked by and weren't even ankle deep.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • LOL 7
7 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Then there is the CNN incident where a reporter was in a canoe, 'because of deep water on the street', when some people walked by and weren't even ankle deep.     

That was The Today Show (Michelle Kosinski later worked for CNN, but she was a new reporter for NBC back then).  A producer thought up the canoe idea, bought one, and sent her out to practice paddling.  They were going to shoot in an intersection where the water actually was waist high with a good current going, but they couldn't light it, so they had her paddle to another location, the shallow water.  When the guys ambled through the shot, the hosts teased her on the air, and of course other outlets - and The Daily Show - picked it up.

About five years later, TDS also nailed a local news crew for a similar stunt: https://www.cc.com/video/gyzgup/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-moment-of-zen-shallow-flood

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

That was The Today Show (Michelle Kosinski later worked for CNN, but she was a new reporter for NBC back then).  A producer thought up the canoe idea, bought one, and sent her out to practice paddling.  They were going to shoot in an intersection where the water actually was waist high with a good current going, but they couldn't light it, so they had her paddle to another location, the shallow water.  When the guys ambled through the shot, the hosts teased her on the air, and of course other outlets - and The Daily Show - picked it up.

About five years later, TDS also nailed a local news crew for a similar stunt: https://www.cc.com/video/gyzgup/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-moment-of-zen-shallow-flood

I miss Jon Stewart.

• Love 6

Speaking of gardens, is anyone noticing lots of worms where they really shouldn't be?  It's not that it's too hot or too wet, but I'm finding tons of worms just laying on the concrete part of our driveway, the gravel part of our driveway, in the garage and even in my basement.  The birds aren't even going after them.  I'm calling it a worm massacre.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Even worse are some grayish, bald caterpillar type worms, called "Army Worms".   The emerge (mostly from sod), eat the green part of the grass, and your yard looks hideous until they are killed off.    I had two attacks of those in one year.    Then there were the black worms who hatched from the sod, and who were trying to crawl under the house siding to lay eggs.    They were very susceptible to Round Up, and there were fewer every year, because I sprayed them.  The last couple of years at that house I didn't see any of them. 

2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

That Zantac lawyer commercial scares the crap out of me, given that I have been on that medication for several decades.  Every time I go to the doctor, I expect him to give me some horrible news.

I, too, took Zantac for decades. I have been scoped periodically, though, and everything's been normal.  Now I use Alka-Seltzer for my reflux.

• Useful 2
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

That Zantac lawyer commercial scares the crap out of me, given that I have been on that medication for several decades.  Every time I go to the doctor, I expect him to give me some horrible news.

My mom got the horrible news after years on Zantac.  Colon cancer.  Luckily, stage 3 and not 4 and she's doing OK.

What surprised me is that even after all that came out, her primary care doctor kept prescribing it.  I told her to make them give her something else.  She ended up switching doctors instead and they put her on another similar drug.  Which probably has some worse side effect.

What surprised me is that even after all that came out, her primary care doctor kept prescribing it.  I told her to make them give her something else.  She ended up switching doctors instead and they put her on another similar drug.  Which probably has some worse side effect.

*crosses fingers* Please don't say Prilosec.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

*crosses fingers* Please don't say Prilosec.

No, generic Pepsid.  Famotidine?  

Mr.  Max was on Prilosec for years.  His latest doctor switched him to Nexium.  We just get it OTC now; it was actually cheaper than the prescription.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Going back to your question about worms.  I have used a lot of potting soil this year, and have noticed that worms tend to be near the surface of that stuff, more so than in the lawn.

Yeah, they love the potting soil.  I put some in the garden boxes and our flower beds and they're all over that.  But I don't have potting soil in my basement.  😄

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, madmax said:

Yeah, they love the potting soil.  I put some in the garden boxes and our flower beds and they're all over that.  But I don't have potting soil in my basement.  😄

They also love coffee grounds. One of the many Starbucks by us used to give away used bags of coffee grounds and the worms loved that shit. Worms are very good for your plants because they aerate the soil.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

They also love coffee grounds. One of the many Starbucks by us used to give away used bags of coffee grounds and the worms loved that shit. Worms are very good for your plants because they aerate the soil.

Long before composting was a thing, my dad used to put coffee grounds and crushed egg shells in his garden.  He had the blackest dirt I've ever seen and every handful had multiple fat worms.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, madmax said:

Long before composting was a thing, my dad used to put coffee grounds and crushed egg shells in his garden.  He had the blackest dirt I've ever seen and every handful had multiple fat worms.

I tried the eggshell thing but we got rats so I had to give that up. :-(

When someone burns a bag of popcorn, or something equally disgusting (the TV dinner that was left in the trash after someone hit 10 times the required time) the most important thing is to get it out of the microwave quickly, and safely,  then trash it outside.  Then, clean the microwave out quickly, and I prefer a little water and baking soda, but just getting things cleaned out, and the burned item outside really helps.   

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

When someone burns a bag of popcorn, or something equally disgusting (the TV dinner that was left in the trash after someone hit 10 times the required time) the most important thing is to get it out of the microwave quickly, and safely,  then trash it outside.  Then, clean the microwave out quickly, and I prefer a little water and baking soda, but just getting things cleaned out, and the burned item outside really helps.   

That makes sense.

• Love 3
On 6/19/2021 at 11:31 AM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

If you like David Rasche, you should look for Sledge Hammer!, the show he had in the 80s. It only lasted 41 episodes, and I always try to talk it up because so few people seem to have heard of it.

Late to the party! Mr. Zoey liked Sledge Hammer so much, he bought the DVDs. They are kind of like Leslie Nielsen’s Naked Gun movies.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

I had to move some Japanese irises out of my garden, because they are so invasive.  When doing so, I stumbled upon the relatively large black and yellow spider.  I don't know what kind of spider it was.  I wanted no part of it.  So, I picked it up with a shovel and threw it over the fence into my neighbor's yard.

It will probably crawl right back to where it was in my yard.  I just wanted it out of the way so I could do what I needed to do.

It'll be coming for you now.

We have a Ring doorbell.  One morning I got up and saw on my phone that it had captured movement 3x during the night.  I looked at the video and it was a wolf spider that was building a web in the corner with the camera.  The thing looked like a horror film monster.  Friends told me it was time to move.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I stumbled upon the relatively large black and yellow spider.  I don't know what kind of spider it was.  I wanted no part of it.  So, I picked it up with a shovel and threw it over the fence into my neighbor's yard.

image.thumb.png.982715a4bbba5b97119f911f4201a878.png

@Prevailing Wind, you need to put that stuff under a spoiler with a warning!

• LOL 6
11 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

It was probably one of those orb-weaver spiders. They are excellent friends, but scary looking as hell.

Reveal spoiler

or weaver.jpg

Oh he!! no that better not show up around here!  That is the $hit nightmares are made of!

• Love 3
On 8/27/2021 at 7:24 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I had to throw my microwave out after my husband scorched it with popcorn.

• Love 1