Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, nokat said:

Yes, a Presto but not the professional one. You can buy different cones. It has a limited size so you may have to cut before putting it through, especially cabbage. Even potatoes, I cut into slices, but it's still easier than hand grating.  It's good for potato pancakes.

Thanks! I'm getting one. Is the basic model good for shredding or should I get some attachment?

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

That's the one I have in my cart. I see it comes with two cones, one for shredding and one for slicing. Excellent!

I hope it makes life easier! 

• Love 1
Just now, peacheslatour said:

Thanks. I know it will, hand shredding with my gran's old grater is getting to be too much for me.

image.png.1e04c71120c85ab7287cd28606828854.png

There is something to using the handed down graters and pans that gives you a good feeling.

My mother was a cooker who would use a little of this and a little of that. No recipe unless for baking. 

• Love 4
Just now, nokat said:

There is something to using the handed down graters and pans that gives you a good feeling.

My mother was a cooker who would use a little of this and a little of that. No recipe unless for baking. 

There is. I'm like your mom and people ask me for recipes and I'm like okay, just throw in some of this and some of that. I never measure anything and cook by eyeballing and tasting (always with a clean spoon). Baking is a whole other animal. More of a science really.

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

There is. I'm like your mom and people ask me for recipes and I'm like okay, just throw in some of this and some of that. I never measure anything and cook by eyeballing and tasting (always with a clean spoon). Baking is a whole other animal. More of a science really.

My mother made the best bread. I got a gift of a beautiful ceramic and wood hand made bread board. I think that was a hint.

• LOL 3

I got a salad shooter as a wedding present over 30 years ago, 1988. I used it a few times, but then it got put away. I knew where it was and all the attachments that came with it, I think 3 different cones, before I moved 6 years ago, but right now I have no clue. I'll put out an apb to my helpers that as we rearrange and unpack stuff, to rescue and it's parts. I know, 6 years and yes, I have unpacked very little. At first it was because I was in denial that I'd be stuck living with my sister for the rest of my life, but it is probably going to be that way. So, we're trying to go through my stuff and unpack my kitchen stuff. Mine is much better than any of the stuff my sister has, she was either given things or bought cheap c**p. I bought the nicest I could afford and took care of things and, funny thing, my stuff has lasted for 20-40 years and still useful. I have several small appliances that are useful to have. Now, if we could find them and keep her from buying cheap c**p off the internet just because I've emptied out some space. She's a hoarder, I think I've mentioned before, and everytime I get some space emptied so I can work and find things, her anxieties take over and she has to buy stuff to fill up that empty space. Living with a hoarder is h**l! But, back to salad shooter, we could use that.

• Love 3

She's a hoarder, I think I've mentioned before, and everytime I get some space emptied so I can work and find things, her anxieties take over and she has to buy stuff to fill up that empty space. 

My husband has hoarding tendencies that I have striven to rein in, lo these forty some years. I think it has to do with atonement. There is some trauma and attached guilt, possibly survivors guilt mixed all up together.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I make very few phone calls, and would have a learning curve to use a smart phone that I am not interested in learning. So, I don't want a smart phone, it makes no sense to me to have one.

Do you know that you have to get one in order to stay with AT&T or are you just fearing that's going to be the cased based on the "as of February, your phone will no longer work" messages?  As I said, I have AT&T and have no need for a smartphone, but they simply replaced my 3G flip phone with a 4G flip phone - I was afraid I was going to have to either get a smartphone or mess with switching to Consumer Cellular to stick with a flip phone and was putting off asking them about it, when I got an email saying they were sending me a replacement phone.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I don’t think I would use a salad shooter but a couple of years ago using my regular box grater I realized it was 25 years old. The next time I was out I bought a new one. It was so much easier to grate stuff that I was annoyed I hadn’t bought a new one years earlier.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, nokat said:

It's good for aging hands that have difficulty with using the usual shredder or being afraid of shredded knuckles or slicing a finger.

I had a salad shooter, never used it once and ended up donating it to charity.  Then somehow, I ended up with a mandolin slicer.  Even tho Mr. Max kids that cabbage and dumplings taste better with a bit of flesh, I bought kevlar gloves that I wear every time I use it.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

I had a salad shooter a long time ago, but I found it more annoying to get it out, set it up, and later wash it than to just slice/shred manually, so I gave it away.  I'm like that with my food processor, too - only for a big job am I willing to haul that thing out.

I have a mandoline I've used only once, because getting that out, putting in the right blade, and then washing it also always seems like more trouble than just grabbing my knife or grater.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 6

I have a Mouli Julienne Food Mill that's perfect for grating stuff. I can grate a 16 oz block of cheese in 90 seconds,  I also use it for chopping nuts. The blade change out easily. I love it.

mouli.jpg

But for slicing  very thin, I use the Feemster Vege Slicer

feemster.jpg

• Love 2
5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

My husband has hoarding tendencies that I have striven to rein in, lo these forty some years. I think it has to do with atonement. There is some trauma and attached guilt, possibly survivors guilt mixed all up together.

There may be some guilt involved with my sister's hoarding, but it's more of a replacement for her drug/alcohol addiction. She's not sober, she just no longer is able to use drugs or alcohol. She's still an addict, she's switched addictions to food and buying cheap c**p. There's a part of the food addiction that I think comes from the times when she used and spent every penny she had on drugs or drink and had nothing to eat and nothing to feed her children. She eventually lost her children and she has a lot of guilt about that and she did a lot of damage to her children during those years, 2 of them have major drug issues, the third one was in prison and I think that finally straightened her out, she may smoke weed now and then, but I don't think she does often nor does she do any other drugs, she holds a job and is doing well with it. But she has paid big for the life she has now. She lost her children and 2 have been adopted by distant family members and the third was killed in foster care. So, my sister has a lot of guilt and she eats it. And when she's not eating, she's buying. Will she do therapy? Nope, because she'd have to face everything that she's done and she can't handle it. Then there's my idiot brother, but since a lot of our estrangement has to do with politics, won't go there. He's on the side of evil and I'm not.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, cynicat said:

When they do dental procedures, the bacteria from your teeth and gums shower the rest of your body, often going to organs like heart valves or kidneys.

Also that is why if you have an infected tooth that needs to come out, they will prescribe antibiotics prior to the procedure. To pull an infected tooth can send the infection straight to the bloodstream and often to the brain.

• Love 5

The surgeon who performed my hip replacement and the gastroenterologist who will be doing my colonoscopy (that lucky, lucky man...) both said there is no data to support having to take antibiotics before routine dental procedures. The dentist wanted me to take them so I did but as it turned out I accidentally underdosed the first time.

This article has actual facts and stuff.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, ABay said:

The surgeon who performed my hip replacement and the gastroenterologist who will be doing my colonoscopy (that lucky, lucky man...) both said there is no data to support having to take antibiotics before routine dental procedures. The dentist wanted me to take them so I did but as it turned out I accidentally underdosed the first time.

This article has actual facts and stuff.

My husband has the Mitral valve thing. He used to take antibiotics before every dental procedure but the last few years his doctor told him it was no longer necessary. I need a hip replacement and if my doc tells me to take antibiotics for dental appts. I will.

• Love 4
22 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I bought the nicest I could afford and took care of things and, funny thing, my stuff has lasted for 20-40 years and still useful.

I still regularly use the potato masher my mother used for as long as I can remember, so it must be well over 50 years old.  A few months ago I had to throw out the milk jug I bought when I was first married, over 40 years ago.  The new milk jug is not nearly as nice and doesn't fit the bags properly.  I also still have and use many Pyrex dishes and Tupperware containers that were shower/wedding gifts.

21 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

My husband has hoarding tendencies that I have striven to rein in, lo these forty some years.

I blame my hoarding tendencies on being a Cancer.  And having both a basement and garage with room to store stuff.  My favourite thing to save is cardboard boxes of all sizes.  You never know when you're going to need one.  And guaranteed, if I throw something out today, l will find a need for it a week later.  Having said that, I am not a 'hoarder' like you see on TV.  I just think not everything needs to be thrown away.

13 hours ago, susannah said:
On 8/18/2021 at 5:54 AM, cynicat said:

When they do dental procedures, the bacteria from your teeth and gums shower the rest of your body, often going to organs like heart valves or kidneys.

I remember when we were kids, my brother always had to take penicillin before he went to the dentist because he had a small hole in his heart.  I never knew what one had to do with the other, but I'm not a doctor, so there's that.

• Love 4

The original Pyrex and Anchor Hocking, and other glass based baking dishes were redone for environmental reasons quite a few years ago.    So, if you want to clear out kitchen stuff, keep the old cruddy looking ones, because they're tough.    The new ones are more environmentally safe, so they're have been repeated reported to shatter with little reason.    I know two people who had this happen, and read many more reports of broken and shattering glass baking dishes.    

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The original Pyrex and Anchor Hocking, and other glass based baking dishes were redone for environmental reasons quite a few years ago. 

They are also very collectible, so if you are getting rid of them, sell them.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

A man I worked with a few years ago has a very successful wife, she buys and resells vintage Corning, Pyrex, and other older glass cookware.     She makes a bundle reselling on auction sites, and from little kiosk cabinets at a couple of antique/vintage shops.   A few people told her she would never make any money doing this, but she proved them wrong. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, bankerchick said:

Having said that, I am not a 'hoarder' like you see on TV.  I just think not everything needs to be thrown away.

I agree that not everything has to be thrown out, but my sister buys more things so she'll have more, she has things she'll never ever use, like a big several gallon tea server thing - it's for parties or banquets. She has a baking pan for baking sourdough bread, she doesn't like sourdough bread. I don't know how many punch bowls and cups she has. I've started using one of her punchbowls as a salad bowl, at least it gets used that way. She doesn't have little punch and cucumber sandwich friends. The few friends she has are druggies. But she will not let me get rid of this stuff.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

I agree that not everything has to be thrown out, but my sister buys more things so she'll have more, she has things she'll never ever use, like a big several gallon tea server thing - it's for parties or banquets. She has a baking pan for baking sourdough bread, she doesn't like sourdough bread. I don't know how many punch bowls and cups she has. I've started using one of her punchbowls as a salad bowl, at least it gets used that way. She doesn't have little punch and cucumber sandwich friends. The few friends she has are druggies. But she will not let me get rid of this stuff.

It's too bad you can't sell that stuff. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, bankerchick said:

I also still have and use many Pyrex dishes and Tupperware containers that were shower/wedding gifts.

I've been married 32 years this year and am still using my 2 sets of Pyrex I got at my shower.  Plus some of the Revereware pans, the blender, and the iron.

The stuff made years ago lasts so much longer than this crap manufactured today.  Now get off my lawn...

• Love 9
48 minutes ago, madmax said:

I've been married 32 years this year and am still using my 2 sets of Pyrex I got at my shower.  Plus some of the Revereware pans, the blender, and the iron.

The stuff made years ago lasts so much longer than this crap manufactured today.  Now get off my lawn...

My mom still has a set of Pyrex mixing bowls they got as a wedding gift. They got married in 1970.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

My mom still has a set of Pyrex mixing bowls they got as a wedding gift. They got married in 1970.

If we're going to make a competition of this 😉 my brothers and I have stuff from our parents' wedding in 1952.  Including one of these, which weighs a ton and requires at least two people and a sturdy table to set up:

image.png

• Love 5
17 minutes ago, Leeds said:

If we're going to make a competition of this 😉 my brothers and I have stuff from our parents' wedding in 1952.  Including one of these, which weighs a ton and requires at least two people and a sturdy table to set up:

She also has her mother's toaster (don't know how old it actually is but she was born in 1910). One of these:

253a69c5f73db877e889bc9739dc9a88.jpg?_ve

(The link I got the pic from says it's 1920s). But the cord is long gone.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
31 minutes ago, Leeds said:

image.png

Is that a cherry pitter or a meat grinder? My mom had a cherry pitter that looked a lot like that.

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Is that a cherry pitter or a meat grinder? My mom had a cherry pitter that looked a lot like that.

Meat grinder (I assume) - I have one very similar in my garage (I don't use it, but it's cool looking, and I have some antique tools I use as decoration out there, so I attached the meat grinder to a shelf and it fits right in).

• Love 4

47 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

It's a grinder.  We used it for traditional mince meat - the dried fruit kind with suet.  We had one of those annual all day affairs involving several relatives that reaped enough of a haul to last for months.  We'd store it in this kind of container.  It wouldn't be touched for several months.

image.png.22309e815feee6f6356871280193ae36.png

Edited by Leeds
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
29 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I appreciate that. 

I wasn't trolling for sympathy. 

It is just an issue I have had and it is totally on me that I get exhausted trying to clean up a post I make where I and trying to say something, and almost everyone else reads something into what I typed which is totally understandable, because my thought process isn't complete in typed form.  It is a socially awkward thing that I have tried to correct, but unfortunately I haven't been able to do so.  I am the one at fault for that.

It goes well beyond posting.  I still have to clarify things when I talk to my sibling.   We have been talking for several decades, and I still have to clarify what I say to her to make sure we are on the same page. 

I have to pause, formulate what I want to say, and make sure it comes out of my pie hole in the way it was intended, and I still have problems with that.  I have to do that with everyone I talk to. 

Nope.  You are awesome.  My post had nothing to do with your post.

I really don't think you are missing the mark as much as it seems to you.  I don't think I've had any trouble understanding what you are trying to say.  Just type what you want to say, proofread and edit, if necessary, once and fling it out there.  Nobody is going to throw rocks or light torches and run you out of town.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

33 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

It isn't a mental health issue, it is a frustration with myself issue.  I do take breaks every now and then.

When I was in the hospital a few years back (internal bleeding), I must have said something wrong to the doctor, because I thought all of the interns surrounding her were going to faint.  I don't know what I sad that was wrong.  Perhaps it was a tone thing, where no tone was intended on my part.  But man after saying whatever the heck I said, the only thing that I could picture going through those interns' heads is that they had made the wrong career choice.

I don't know.  When I am seeing any medical professional, they can make all of the suggestions they want, but I am going to be the one that makes the final decision.

They are doctors, not miracle workers.

I totally sympathize and empathize.  Not only do things I type and say get read differently than the way I intended, but I have a fine case of "resting b*tch face" (sorry, I hate that term), which I'm sure adds to people's interpretations.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, ams1001 said:

She also has her mother's toaster (don't know how old it actually is but she was born in 1910). 

(The link I got the pic from says it's 1920s). But the cord is long gone.

Ours was like this.

image.png

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

My dad used my mom's old white stockings to strain the seeds and skin from purple grapes when making grape jelly.  After he was done with those stockings, they looked like a crime scene.

Who did the Jolly Green Giant piss off?

I don't think he used stockings, though he certainly would have had he thought of it!  He did however hang cheesecloth filled bags of boiled elderberries from our ceiling-mounted indoor clothes line contraption.  It drove my mum crazy because of course the juice would splash everywhere, not just into the bowls.

• Love 2
Just now, icemiser69 said:

I was watching an old Matlock episode, and he was using one of those on the top of the stove old-fashioned popcorn poppers.  All metal construction.   I am not talking about the kind that has a crank in the handle that attaches to a metal sweeping bar on the inside bottom of the popcorn popper to keep the kernels moving.  The one he had was just a regular all metal popcorn popper that one would shake to keep the kernels moving.

Does anyone here have one like that, and if so, does it work well?

Granted, I could just use a regular pot, but the bottom of the pot is way to thin, and I would be concerned that the popcorn would scorch.

Until microwave popcorn came out, we always made popcorn on the stove top in a metal cooking pot. Just put a little oil in the bottom, dump in the kernels and put on the lid. And you do have to give it a shake. I saw and old Dragnet episode and they were flame grilling steaks in the living room fireplace! I had never heard of such a thing. Although when we first moved to WA, we had a power outage and we cooked hot dogs on sticks in the living room fireplace.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Until microwave popcorn came out, we always made popcorn on the stove top in a metal cooking pot. Just put a little oil in the bottom, dump in the kernels and put on the lid. And you do have to give it a shake.

That's how I still make it.  I once had a roommate who reacted as if I'd just performed a miracle.  A friend's boyfriend did the same to her.  Apparently there are people who think popcorn can only be made in a special popcorn-specific contraption or the microwave.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Until microwave popcorn came out, we always made popcorn on the stove top in a metal cooking pot. Just put a little oil in the bottom, dump in the kernels and put on the lid. And you do have to give it a shake.

Yep, so did we. You had to keep shaking it though, or it would burn. I know alot of people raved about microwave popcorn but I never liked it, and if it burned, the smell would nearly kill me. I have had an air popper for decades, still works great. No additives, doesn't burn.

• Love 6
26 minutes ago, susannah said:

Yep, so did we. You had to keep shaking it though, or it would burn. I know alot of people raved about microwave popcorn but I never liked it, and if it burned, the smell would nearly kill me. I have had an air popper for decades, still works great. No additives, doesn't burn.

At one of my flower shops, an assistant was nuking popcorn and she accidentally set the timer for 30 minutes instead of 3. The horrible smell lasted for days.

51 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

At one of my flower shops, an assistant was nuking popcorn and she accidentally set the timer for 30 minutes instead of 3. The horrible smell lasted for days.

I successfully got microwaved popcorn (and anything with microwaved fish) banned from a previous workplace.  I have no problem with either, but for myself in the safety of my own home, not in a hermetically sealed office.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Leeds said:

I successfully got microwaved popcorn (and anything with microwaved fish) banned from a previous workplace.  I have no problem with either, but for myself in the safety of my own home, not in a hermetically sealed office.

Yeah, I had the microwave taken out of the shop. Flower shops should smell like flowers.

• Love 4

Been home from the dentist for a couple of hours, I'm exhausted, the side of my mouth where the wisdom tooth was removed is still a little numb. Had that one plus what was left of 3 broken teeth removed. The 3 broken ones came right out, but that wisdom tooth was a bugger. He had to numb my mouth 3 different times to get it numb enough. The first aide who did the numbing was bragging to the other dental assistants that she could numb people when no one else could. I was told years ago that I have an extra nerve in the lower part of my mouth that makes it hard for me to numb. She said most people don't put the injection far enough back in the mouth. Well, the dentist had to give several more injections to get it numb enough. I lost count of how many. It's a good thing they had given me nitrous oxide. I was far from relaxed. At least, this time I wasn't singing, "You'll Be a Dentist." Nobody wants to hear that. 

• Love 5

20 minutes ago, Leeds said:

At our old building, our then-Office Manager banned microwaved popcorn because someone burned it, set off the fire alarm and the fire department had to come out.

• LOL 2

A couple of months ago, I got a handy gadget for making microwave popcorn, it's silicone, just put some regular popcorn in the bottom, put the lid on and microwave. I usually put some butter slices in with the popcorn before I put it in the microwave. I can make a small amount that I will eat in one sitting. Of course, I try not to burn it because it stinks! 

• Useful 2
4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

When I had my wisdom teeth pulled along with a couple of other teeth due to overcrowding, I ended up gnawing on the inside of my right cheek and it swelled up like a balloon.  My cheeks were so numb, I had no clue I was even doing it.

I had to have four teeth (the first premolars) pulled when I was 11 before I could get braces (my teeth were so crowded there wasn't room for them to straighten out; I now have only 24...if anyone ever tells me I have a big mouth I say my dental records prove otherwise). Afterward they had me in the little recovery room for a while, and finally they let me go. I don't know if my whining that I wanted to go home had anything to do with the timing of that, but apparently it was too soon. I was standing next to my mom at the front desk while she was writing a check and passed out. I grabbed her arm on my way down and took her with me. Had to stay another half hour. 😞

When I got my wisdom teeth out, at 18 and 3-4 inches taller than her (we were about the same size when I was 11), she wouldn't take me by herself so my dad had to come too. Of course I was fine. (At least until I took the painkillers they gave me; nearly threw up twice which is the last thing you want with stitches in your mouth. Stuck with Tylenol after that.)

2 hours ago, Bastet said:

That's how I still make it.  I once had a roommate who reacted as if I'd just performed a miracle.  A friend's boyfriend did the same to her.  Apparently there are people who think popcorn can only be made in a special popcorn-specific contraption or the microwave.

I wonder how they'd react to an air popper! That's what we had when I was a kid. 

When we went camping my dad would get Jiffy Pop.

• Love 4