Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

• Start Topic

47 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Not when it came to women. I guess that was meant to be ironic.

Sadly, they may not have been deliberate, just how the male writers saw the world.  It was a huge problem (and still is a significant one) in social justice movements that the men were incredibly progressive - until the dishes needed to be done or a diaper needed changing.

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Sadly, they may not have been deliberate, just how the male writers saw the world.  It was a huge problem (and still is a significant one) in social justice movements that the men were incredibly progressive - until the dishes needed to be done or a diaper needed changing.

Ain't that the truth.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I was really young when All in the Family premiered, but as a middle-aged person I can say that Archie was often the butt of the joke, the loudmouthed buffoon who really didn't know any better. Offensive? Maybe, but he was also good-hearted at his core. And really, no worse than  his son in law Mike, who was just as fast to judge, it was simply that Mike was (allegedly) more evolved.

I never thought that All in the Family was funny, but I agree that Archie just plain didn't know any better, and good hearted.  I loathed Mike, who was not only misogynist, but the way he treated Archie, the man who fed and housed him and his family for years, was incredibly disrespectful. If he didn't like how Archie treated HIM, he was free to get a job and support his family himself.

• Love 9
21 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I have had a vegetable garden for a couple of decades, and stopped having one once the deer started getting more out of the garden than I was.

We put up 8 foot tall fences to keep the deer out.  It worked, but didn't keep out the chipmunks who came to take a bite out of every strawberry.

We now have 2 closed boxes, way smaller than the original garden.

9 hours ago, ams1001 said:

It's harder to proof your own writing than someone else's. I think part of it is that you already know what it says so your brain sees what you expect to see instead of the typo that's actually there.

At my job, we often proof articles for publication or press releases, legal agreements, etc.  I always, ALWAYS, have someone else proof my work after I've proofed it a couple times.  And yes, sometimes I have to print it to proof.    

3 hours ago, susannah said:

I never thought that All in the Family was funny, but I agree that Archie just plain didn't know any better, and good hearted.  I loathed Mike, who was not only misogynist, but the way he treated Archie, the man who fed and housed him and his family for years, was incredibly disrespectful. If he didn't like how Archie treated HIM, he was free to get a job and support his family himself.

I totally agree.  I never liked Mike at all.  

• Love 4
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I never liked Meathead.   Every time I hear Rob Reiner speak, IMO he acts no different than Meathead.   He comes off as an entitled blowhard, that was lucky to be the born son of a Hollywood legend, Carl Reiner.

Rob Reiner is practically unhinged in some of his opinions, but damn, he makes good movies.  He will forever have a pass from me for Princess Bride alone, but I wouldn't follow his Twitter feed with a gun to my head.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

The cheapest fencing to use is deer fence netting. 

We used something similar on the top of the big garden to keep the birds out, because they, too, liked to munch on the strawberries.  I never found a dead bird on or around the garden, so I guess they saw it.

With the new garden boxes, we didn't have to worry about that.  You can't really tell from the picture, but the top is fenced as well.

20190610_130748.jpg

Edited by madmax
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, bankerchick said:

Rob Reiner is practically unhinged in some of his opinions, but damn, he makes good movies.  He will forever have a pass from me for Princess Bride alone, but I wouldn't follow his Twitter feed with a gun to my head.

I haven't seen or heard any of his opinions, though I can totally see him feeling entitled. Agree about the Princess Bride, always!!!

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I cannot and will not watch Princess Bride.

<gasp>  Best. Movie. Ever.

16 hours ago, madmax said:

With the new garden boxes, we didn't have to worry about that.  You can't really tell from the picture, but the top is fenced as well.

20190610_130748.jpg

Where did you get those, Max?  Those are fantastic!  I have large pots of cherry tomatoes growing on my deck and had to wrap them in mesh because the squirrels kept eating them.  These boxes would be great next year.  (I started them from seeds in an Aerogarden in Feb.  I'm so proud of how successfully they grew.)

• Love 5
50 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I wouldn't watch it if someone paid me.  That Andre The Giant link I posted above is the reason why.

I don't understand what a highly dubious rumor about Andre has to do with whether the film is really good or not, or to be a reason whether you watch it or not.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Haleth said:

<gasp>  Best. Movie. Ever.

Where did you get those, Max?  Those are fantastic!  I have large pots of cherry tomatoes growing on my deck and had to wrap them in mesh because the squirrels kept eating them.  These boxes would be great next year.  (I started them from seeds in an Aerogarden in Feb.  I'm so proud of how successfully they grew.)

Mr. Max built them.  He's handy that way.  He even built them on pallets so he can use the front loader to move them if needed.

4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I wouldn't watch it if someone paid me.  That Andre The Giant link I posted above is the reason why.

I wouldn't trust a word that came out of Hulk Hogan's mouth.

3 hours ago, susannah said:

I don't understand what a highly dubious rumor about Andre has to do with whether the film is really good or not, or to be a reason whether you watch it or not.

I don't think @icemiser69 said it wasn't good, but that it wouldn't be watched because of the dubious rumor about Andre.  I can accept someone's personal opinions allowing them NOT to partake of a specific piece of media, but I would certainly take that rumor with a heaping tablespoon of salt, based on who it came from.

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Wouldn't it be easier to use locking wheels, and just roll them around, or would that cause a stability issue?

Sing it sister. 😁

I am having a horrible day.  Thank you for your support.

I need all of the help I can get.

Just a general statement.

I think I need an interpreter.  I type something with one thought process in mind, and because the thought process is complete in my mind, but not necessarily complete in typed paragraph form, more often than not it seems to be taken in a direction that wasn't intended.  That is my problem, given that it seems to be a never ending repetitive process,  I am growing tired of it.  Again my problem.

This has been going on for what seems like forever.  It is exhausting.

For the past few months I have been considering dropping social media entirely, because it is so exhausting.  This is the only place I post.  I will see if things improve over the next couple of months.  Again it is my issue. 

Don't leave us! I love reading your posts. We can't always agree, we're like a family that way. Feel free to PM me any time you want to vent. Again, we may not always agree but we all respect each other.❤️

• Love 8
On 8/11/2021 at 9:04 AM, Tom Holmberg said:

We always had canned asparagus which looks, smells and tastes like something from the sewer. I would have preferred over-cooked broccoli, ours was rock hard, except for the tops, which was all I'd eat. But potato salad was good, German and American!

To this day, I hate "tomato butts" which I always seem to get when I go to the sandwich places. I've taken to saying, "No tomato butts, please!"

I don't like Tomato butts either and I also don't like butts of the bread.

19 minutes ago, Nicmar said:

I don't like Tomato butts either and I also don't like butts of the bread.

I like bread butts (technically the "heel"- I guess its lower)- the best part of bread. I like crusty bread. I also like pizza crusts.  It bugs me when you have a party-cut pizza that some people will take the crust pieces and then discard the crust.

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Wouldn't it be easier to use locking wheels, and just roll them around, or would that cause a stability issue?

Sing it sister. 😁

I am having a horrible day.  Thank you for your support.

I need all of the help I can get.

Just a general statement.

I think I need an interpreter.  I type something with one thought process in mind, and because the thought process is complete in my mind, but not necessarily complete in typed paragraph form, more often than not it seems to be taken in a direction that wasn't intended.  That is my problem, given that it seems to be a never ending repetitive process,  I am growing tired of it.  Again my problem.

For the past few months I have been considering dropping social media entirely, because it is so exhausting.  This is the only place I post.  I will see if things improve over the next couple of months.  Again it is my issue. 

I apologize if my post sounded snarky. I didn't mean it to be. I hope you don't leave. It's not in person but you have support here.

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, Nicmar said:

I also don't like butts of the bread.

I don't like the heels, either; I turn those into breadcrumbs.  I'm not a big bread fan to begin with - I eat most sandwiches as a lavash wrap or pita pocket instead - so those end pieces are too much for me.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, madmax said:

Mr. Max built them.  He's handy that way.  He even built them on pallets so he can use the front loader to move them if needed.

I wouldn't trust a word that came out of Hulk Hogan's mouth.

I don't think @icemiser69 said it wasn't good, but that it wouldn't be watched because of the dubious rumor about Andre.  I can accept someone's personal opinions allowing them NOT to partake of a specific piece of media, but I would certainly take that rumor with a heaping tablespoon of salt, based on who it came from.

I completely agree. For what it is worth, I attended a book reading by Cary Elwes, whose stories of making the film were very interesting, and hilarious, and he spoke of Andre. He said that his heart was as big as he was.  He also said that he thought he would be fired from the film because he and Billy Crystal and the others couldn't stop laughing when they were trying to film. I am sure that is true!

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
20 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I have a friend who's a retired home ec teacher. She took some nylon net & made skirts to place over her tomato plants. So far, it's kept all the marauding critters out of her 'maters.

Tomatoes in tutus!

• LOL 7
6 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

They sit right at the edge of our driveway, but in the lawn (I use that term loosely; it's more like weed covered dirt), so wheels wouldn't be practical.  The front loader is perfect for moving them.  That thing was one of the best investments we made.

6 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I have a tendency to do something similar.  My solution is to type the post, then read it as if I never wrote it.  I can then see if it actually says what I want it to say or can be misinterpreted, which is VERY easy to do.

If you feel you need to take a break for your mental health, then by all means, take the break.  Just come back. 🙂

By the way, this is the only place I post as well.  I don't even use any other forms of social media.  It's too much of a jungle out there...

4 hours ago, susannah said:

I completely agree. For what it is worth, I attended a book reading by Cary Elwes, whose stories of making the film were very interesting, and hilarious, and he spoke of Andre. He said that his heart was as big as he was.  He also said that he thought he would be fired from the film because he and Billy Crystal and the others couldn't stop laughing when they were trying to film. I am sure that is true!

I LOVED his book!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, madmax said:

They sit right at the edge of our driveway, but in the lawn (I use that term loosely; it's more like weed covered dirt), so wheels wouldn't be practical.  The front loader is perfect for moving them.  That thing was one of the best investments we made.

I have a tendency to do something similar.  My solution is to type the post, then read it as if I never wrote it.  I can then see if it actually says what I want it to say or can be misinterpreted, which is VERY easy to do.

If you feel you need to take a break for your mental health, then by all means, take the break.  Just come back. 🙂

By the way, this is the only place I post as well.  I don't even use any other forms of social media.  It's too much of a jungle out there...

I LOVED his book!

This is the only place I post as well. Yeah his book was great, and everyone really enjoyed hearing his stories about making the film!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I've noticed that the older he gets, the more Billy Crystal resembles Miracle Max's old man makeup.

Too many mutton, lettuce, and tomato sandwiches.

• LOL 7
On 8/6/2021 at 7:17 PM, nokat said:

have a nice case for mine. I've dropped it multiple times and the case protects it well. Granted, I haven't dropped it four floors.

ok, this remark coming after several posts about sex toys, threw me for a minute. But, on the subject of flip phones, I'm either going to have to give mine up or change to Consumer Cellular by February. AT&T will no longer support my phone. I don't want a smart phone mostly because I don't want to pay AT&T another $100/month. I have to have my internet through them but if I had another option, I would change in a heartbeat.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

ok, this remark coming after several posts about sex toys, threw me for a minute. But, on the subject of flip phones, I'm either going to have to give mine up or change to Consumer Cellular by February. AT&T will no longer support my phone. I don't want a smart phone mostly because I don't want to pay AT&T another $100/month. I have to have my internet through them but if I had another option, I would change in a heartbeat.

Ha, sorry, only a smart phone. I can put it on vibrate. 

I'll have to upgrade soon and I'm on the least expensive plan I could find.

I hear you on the internet though. Just paid my monthly Frontier bill.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

But, on the subject of flip phones, I'm either going to have to give mine up or change to Consumer Cellular by February. AT&T will no longer support my phone. I don't want a smart phone mostly because I don't want to pay AT&T another $100/month.

My flip phone with AT&T was no longer going to work, because it's 3G, but I didn't have to get a smartphone or switch to another carrier - they just sent me a new flip phone that's 4G. 

• Useful 5

I got a 4G flip phone from Consumer Cellular. I get 250 minutes a month, 300 texts, and some data, but since it's a flip phone, data doesn't matter.  I also get roadside assistance from them, all for only $24.95/month, incl. taxes, etc.  It's about $5 a month more for unlimited calls.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

Ok, I've finally caught up with reading about 8 pages. Jell-O, luckily I stocked up on some when I came home from the hospital in June, I'm going to be back on that liquid/soft diet after Friday for about a week. I'm having 3 teeth pulled, especially the one that was infected and sent me to the hospital Memorial Day weekend, it's coming out! The other 2 are both broken and there's only tiny stubs left. I will be gassed before they start work and I'm taking someone to the dentist office with me to see that I get home afterward. Not really looking forward to this, but it has to be. After that's all done I can think about a bridge for where the broken teeth are, the wisdom tooth? Good riddance, it should have been removed when I was 17 and had 2 others pulled. After teeth are somewhat restored, I'll be able to think about getting my eyes done. I can't wait to be able to read and thread a needle again.

• Love 8
14 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

Ok, I've finally caught up with reading about 8 pages. Jell-O, luckily I stocked up on some when I came home from the hospital in June, I'm going to be back on that liquid/soft diet after Friday for about a week. I'm having 3 teeth pulled, especially the one that was infected and sent me to the hospital Memorial Day weekend, it's coming out! The other 2 are both broken and there's only tiny stubs left. I will be gassed before they start work and I'm taking someone to the dentist office with me to see that I get home afterward. Not really looking forward to this, but it has to be. After that's all done I can think about a bridge for where the broken teeth are, the wisdom tooth? Good riddance, it should have been removed when I was 17 and had 2 others pulled. After teeth are somewhat restored, I'll be able to think about getting my eyes done. I can't wait to be able to read and thread a needle again.

I loved my Jell-O and blender when I had my mouth worked on. Hoping for the best for you.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Thought I'd share my parents' latest mutant.

Standard size dinner fork for scale.

image.png.5ececd857e0727e767b58f3a7e04b8ea.png

This thing weighs about three and a half pounds.

Cucumber salad!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, friendperidot said:

FYI: Ibuprofen was developed as a dental pain reliever.  Good luck with all that.  {{{HUGS}}}

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
39 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

FYI: Ibuprofen was developed as a dental pain reliever.  Good luck with all that.  {{{HUGS}}}

the dentist gave a prescription when I was in the office last week, I got it filled along with the anti-biotic which I've been taking. I'm ready and waiting.

• Love 5
58 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

the dentist gave a prescription when I was in the office last week, I got it filled along with the anti-biotic which I've been taking. I'm ready and waiting.

Mr. Max had to get some work done in May and I was really surprised that they sent pain prescriptions prior to the appointment.  He had to take a couple the night before, then one an hour before the procedure.  The first line of their recovery instructions?  Drink a milkshake.  😄

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
10 minutes ago, madmax said:

Drink a milkshake.

When I got my wisdom teeth out they gave me a little 'goody bag' that included a bottle of Ensure. My mom blended it up with some ice cream for me.

• Love 6

Since I have a faux knee, I'm supposed to "pre-med" before any dental appointment, anyway. Four capsules of 500 mg of Amoxicillin one hour prior to the dental work.  We don't want any infection that might be in my mouth to migrate on down to the knee.

I had a hygienist tell me to ask my doc if I still need it, since it's been 20 years already, but he said he'd rather not take that chance. It's no big deal to take the amoxi and I can get it free at Publix, so why take chances?  When I worked for dentists, we had a patient whose faux knee got infected. They had to remove it, put it a temp faux knee until the infection cleared her system and then install another, permanent faux knee.  When I saw that, I decided that, yeah, no - I'm not stopping the amoxi.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

We don't want any infection that might be in my mouth to migrate on down to the knee.

Offering up a PSA here.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic , but if you are, that's a real thing.  If not, [à la Emily Littella] nevermind!

When they do dental procedures, the bacteria from your teeth and gums shower the rest of your body, often going to organs like heart valves or kidneys.  If your immune system is adequate that's usually no big deal, but if there's any damage, (like a knee replacement), that area could be more susceptible.

This doesn't typically happen in routine procedures like cleanings. It mainly happens when they have to do something more invasive like pulling a tooth, root canal, etc.  The mouth mucosa has a massive blood supply that's easily accessible to bacteria. 

Now returning to regular programming.

• Useful 6
  • Love 1

Thank you all, I was planning to start the  Ibuprofen the night before the pulling but I hadn't thought about taking the antibiotic before I leave for the dentist office. I don't have a knee infection, but I do have breast cancer, I don't know how that could be affected, but it's best to take no chances. Since I have to take three of the Amoxicillin/day, it will be easy to schedule two before I go to the dentist.

• Love 6
20 hours ago, nokat said:

Ha, sorry, only a smart phone. I can put it on vibrate. 

different people have different situations and lives. I'm at home 99% of the time, I only go out to doctor appts. I have cataracts and have a lot of difficulty seeing. At home, I have a 23" screen on my computer that I can adjust the size of what I see on the screen so that I can actually see it. I am also on a very limited SS retirement budget and AT&T wants another $100/month for a data plan for a smart phone. They already get entirely too big a cut of my limited income so f**k them. I don't want to give them another d**n cent. I hate AT&T, but am forced to use them for internet. I make very few phone calls, and would have a learning curve to use a smart phone that I am not interested in learning. So, I don't want a smart phone, it makes no sense to me to have one. But you love yours, good, I'm thrilled for you.

• Love 8
16 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Since I have a faux knee, I'm supposed to "pre-med" before any dental appointment, anyway. Four capsules of 500 mg of Amoxicillin one hour prior to the dental work.  We don't want any infection that might be in my mouth to migrate on down to the knee.

That used to be recommended for Mitral Valve Prolapse but now they say you don't need it for cleaning. I had a couple fillings replaced with no problems. Any implants and I'd be using the antibiotics.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, friendperidot said:

different people have different situations and lives. I'm at home 99% of the time, I only go out to doctor appts. I have cataracts and have a lot of difficulty seeing. At home, I have a 23" screen on my computer that I can adjust the size of what I see on the screen so that I can actually see it. I am also on a very limited SS retirement budget and AT&T wants another $100/month for a data plan for a smart phone. They already get entirely too big a cut of my limited income so f**k them. I don't want to give them another d**n cent. I hate AT&T, but am forced to use them for internet. I make very few phone calls, and would have a learning curve to use a smart phone that I am not interested in learning. So, I don't want a smart phone, it makes no sense to me to have one. But you love yours, good, I'm thrilled for you.

Oh, I realize. I used to walk a lot, so liked to carry it with me. I got the cheapest phone and plan I could find. I got pressured into it by my sister.

• Love 3

Okay, y'all will think I'm a total nerd, but I got a Salad Shooter. I got reminded of it with the cucumber, but shredded cheese, no problem, hash browns easy peasy. Cucumber salad, perfect slices. It's good for aging hands that have difficulty with using the usual shredder or being afraid of shredded knuckles or slicing a finger.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, cynicat said:

Offering up a PSA here.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic , but if you are, that's a real thing.  If not, [à la Emily Littella] nevermind!

Nevermind, then.  ;-)  Not sarcastic. And the way my gums have bled in the past, it necessary for even a cleaning.

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, nokat said:

Okay, y'all will think I'm a total nerd, but I got a Salad Shooter. I got reminded of it with the cucumber, but shredded cheese, no problem, hash browns easy peasy. Cucumber salad, perfect slices. It's good for aging hands that have difficulty with using the usual shredder or being afraid of shredded knuckles or slicing a finger.

Cool. Is it a Presto brand one? I like to make potato pancakes and cole slaw and other things that require shredding raw veggies and this sounds like something I should get.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Cool. Is it a Presto brand one? I like to make potato pancakes and cole slaw and other things that require shredding raw veggies and this sounds like something I should get.

Yes, a Presto but not the professional one. You can buy different cones. It has a limited size so you may have to cut before putting it through, especially cabbage. Even potatoes, I cut into slices, but it's still easier than hand grating.  It's good for potato pancakes.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2