Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I tried watching this show, I really did. As a huge fan of Emergency! I was hoping for something similar but it seems like all they do is drink beer, party and screw each other. YMMV

And sometimes they do shots  LOL

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I had no problem giving away licorice.   I was reading up on it not long ago.  It is consider an aphrodisiac.  I hate the smell and the taste of it.

I love black licorice! Black jelly beans, black gumdrops, good and plentys... yum! But I don't do dark chocolate in any form.

5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I have the complete series of Chicago Fire on DVD.  I have watched the first two seasons and have started the third.  What is nice about those DVDs, is that from what I have seen so far, it includes the crossover episodes from other series.  There are no gaps.  Story lines play out in full.   I don't think that is true when watching the episodes in syndication on ION.   I think it is just a straight binge of Chicago Fire episodes on ION.

And Chicago Med and Chicago PD..I swear it is Chicago whatever 24/7 on that channel!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, susannah said:

I love black licorice! Black jelly beans, black gumdrops, good and plentys... yum! But I don't do dark chocolate in any form.

I will take all the dark chocolate, and you can have all the licorice!

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I will take all the dark chocolate, and you can have all the licorice!

Same!  I don't hate licorice, but I don't like it, especially black licorice.  Dark chocolate, on the other hand ... yes, please.  I have terrific willpower when it comes to chocolate (unlike chips, which I cannot buy, only eat elsewhere, because I'll eat the whole bag), but when I was in Belgium, that got thrown out the window -- all those little shops where it's made in-house just begged to be tried.

• Love 4

I got some exquisite dark chocolate at the duty-free shop in Iceland, and have since discovered that the duty-free shop is the only place I can get it.  I haven’t done a deep dive into google yet, but I haven’t found this particular kind on Ny other website I’ve looked at.

• Love 1
On 7/31/2021 at 5:15 PM, icemiser69 said:

I have never been a big fan of going to the movie theater.  Uncomfortable seats, noisy eaters, people sitting around me running their mouths.  On one occasion, a tall dork that parked his huge carcass one seat in front of me, and then he turned around and asked me if I can see over his ginormous head with it's own gravitational pull.   I added the bolden part.  I said he was fine where he sat, and I moved to another seat.  I was tempted to say to him that if he turned his head sideways, I am sure I could see the screen through his ears.   I thought better of it, and kept my pie hole shut.  The dude was huge.  Herman Munster huge, bolts not included.

Kids today have no idea, what with stadium seating that's more comfortable than most of our beds at home! I distinctly recall my child self sitting on the flipped-up theater seat, desperately trying to see something, anything, over the adult heads in front of me.

• Love 7
14 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Chicago Med isn't in syndication  (no reruns on television other than what is aired on NBC, usually the current season).  I watch that series.  There are more than a few characters that should have been fired long ago, and on top of that list would be Sharon Goodwin, since the hospital is such a mess.   In the real world, that hospital probably would have been sued out of existence long ago.  Some of the doctors and nurses under normal circumstances would have been fired and sued, as well.  In some cases put in jail.

Ion television gives series one day per week.  Chicago Fire on Tuesdays, and Chicago PD on Thursdays.

The most overplayed procedural in syndication for the past decade IMO, is L&O: SVU, and it isn't close.

I don't like all of the bed hopping in Chicago: Fire, but it takes two to play that game.  I don't think people in the same firehouse should be allowed to date, given that I think it has been shown on that series how that affects their daily jobs, and not in a good way.  Distractions.  When emotions get in the way, protocols can go out the window.

By today's standards, I think there is a good chance a few of the characters on Emergency! would have been fired.  Gage being at the top of the list, probably Chet as well.

Robert Fuller has this weird thing with his eyebrows that occurs every so often,  It is like they have a life of their own.  I have never seen any one else move their eyebrows that way.  I wonder if he was part Klingon.

Did you ever see Third Watch, a show that combined firefighters, paramedics and police officers in one, on a while back? The mentioning of the dating in the same unit and affecting their work so reminded me of it. Dating, exes, child custody arguments, paramedics having sex with their patients..... I mean I know that rescue workers have lives, and personal problems, and I can see how they might be drawn to each other in just understanding what they deal with, BUT! I would hope that when they are working, they are doing their very best. I haven't seen Emergency since it was on I don't think, though I remember it well. Are you saying that Gage and Chet would have been fired because they sexually harassed women? I couldn't stand all their stupid practical jokes. I really liked Robert Fuller though.

Any demonic worms or other wigglies chase you today?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

When watching all of the Chicago series, I think it is best to look at them as nothing more than night time soap operas.

I only started watching them to see the various Chicago locations used, but the soap opera aspects turned me off. 

• Love 2

Are you saying that Gage and Chet would have been fired because they sexually harassed women? I couldn't stand all their stupid practical jokes. I really liked Robert Fuller though.

Emergency! is on six days a week around here and Gage and Chet have yet to sexually harass anyone. I don't know why they would be in any trouble.

4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Yesterday evening I cut all of the weeds down from a different garden.  The roots were so matted, they couldn't be yanked.  That area being so dry made matters worse.  Out of nowhere a frog jumped, and I nearly had a heart attack.

I haven't seen frogs in my yard for at least ten years.  So anything jumping out like that was bound to flip me out.

We have a little runoff area from the hill that forms a little pool before the pipe takes it out to the creek.  About 10-12 years ago, toads started breeding there.  During May/June, I literally have to wave my foot in the air before stepping down to scare all of the baby toads (which are the size of a skinny pea) out of the way so I don't step on them.  Many times I'll be walking through the yard and a much larger toad will hop into my path.

At some point in the last couple years, some frogs found the water and have been breeding as well.  So far, none of them have left the water, but we'll see...

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

If soldiers needing lifesaving surgery saw how Hawkeye acted away from the operating room, how many of those patients would want him to work on them?  Probably very few

True, his behavior was, IMO gross, but in the OR he was a gifted surgeon who really cared about his patients. Then you look at Charles, not a lech, loved classical music, etc, also very skilled in the OR, and soldiers might think he is the better choice, but his recovering patients were just evidence of his skill, feeding his ego, and didn't care about them as people so much.

I am talking about their behavior in general.  By today's standards they would both have to clean up their act.

Chet's clowning around in the firehouse would make him easily fireable.

Any complaints by nurses at the hospital in turns of Gage hitting on them, while he and they are also on duty is also fireable.  The way he talks about women on occasion is downright disrespectful.   By today's standards, he would be canned in a heartbeat.  I am not going to sugarcoat it, I don't like the guy.

I completely agree.

20 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

f soldiers needing lifesaving surgery saw how Hawkeye acted away from the operating room, how many of those patients would want him to work on them?  Probably very few. 

I don't really care what my surgeon does on his off time as long as he's not a serial killer.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, madmax said:

We have a little runoff area from the hill that forms a little pool before the pipe takes it out to the creek.  About 10-12 years ago, toads started breeding there.  During May/June, I literally have to wave my foot in the air before stepping down to scare all of the baby toads (which are the size of a skinny pea) out of the way so I don't step on them.  Many times I'll be walking through the yard and a much larger toad will hop into my path.

At some point in the last couple years, some frogs found the water and have been breeding as well.  So far, none of them have left the water, but we'll see...

Growing up in Miami, we had banana trees in our yard. They're not actually tree, but big ol' grasses. The outer shell & leaves would dry up & just hang there, so Mom would go out with a meat cleaver and clean 'em up. She was out there one day when a wee, green tree frog jumped onto the back of her hand. Not thinking, she tried to whack at it with the meat cleaver. Missed the frog, but managed to cut her hand - she didn't cut any tendons or anything, but she carried the scar the rest of her life. Fortunately, she didn't damage anything so she could still play the piano.  At the time, I had an accident-prone friend, and we all agreed, even the friend, that if Janet had done that, she'd have cut off her hand.

1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

The three Chicago series aren't the only series that have had characters doing lifesaving work, and then in their off time there behavior is fratboyish.   One of the most popular television series ever, M*A*S*H had characters that acted in a similar manner.

If soldiers needing lifesaving surgery saw how Hawkeye acted away from the operating room, how many of those patients would want him to work on them?  Probably very few. 

It seemed to me that "M*A*S*H" modified Hawkeye's behavior (somewhat) as the series progressed.  Early on the show was (by today's standards) quite sexist.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I don't like the idea of using sleep supplements at all, but I just have to find a way to get some sleep.

I'm assuming you've tried melatonin. I have some magnesium oil spray because it absorbs much better through the skin than in a vitamin pill and it's something most of us need more of. I also have some blue light blocking glasses for when I'm up late but still browsing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Melatonin upsets my stomach and gives me migraines.

I have taken magnesium in pill form.

Sorry to hear that about the melatonin. Seriously though, try the spray and not the pill for magnesium.  You spray it on your legs/feet and it's supposed to help with sleep.

Blocking blue light or just not using your phone or tablet an hour before bedtime is supposed to help too. If you have any old fashioned paperbacks to read while in bed, that may help. I have a yellow light I use to read with.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Zahdii said:

I finally got a cell phone, but it's a little flip phone that doesn't access the internet.  Should I suddenly decide to fly off somewhere, how will I prove I have a seat on the plane?

You don't need to have a smartphone to prove you have a seat; I don't, and I have no problems flying.  Each airline's website has information on check-in options, but generally you can check in online at home and print out a boarding pass, or check in at an airport kiosk and print a boarding pass there (or, of course, go up to the check-in counter to really kick it old school). 

Edited by Bastet
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I hate my smart phone, I wish I had kept my flip phone.   I don't have the vision to use a smartphone for anything more than making phone calls anyway.

I loved my flip phone. I have a smart phone now and hate it.

• Love 2

I like the extra things my smartphone can do, but it was nice to have a phone that was tiny, effectively indestructible, and worked like a communicator on Star Trek. It was a point of pride that mine lasted 11 years.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Bruinsfan said:

I like the extra things my smartphone can do, but it was nice to have a phone that was tiny, effectively indestructible, and worked like a communicator on Star Trek. It was a point of pride that mine lasted 11 years.

My brother has had his same smart phone for about 15 years.  He works construction, so it's a ruggedized model.  He's dropped it four floors down from a roof, had it fly off the bumper of his truck multiple times, washed it AND dried it twice and it still worked.  He was supposed to move to a smart phone this year, because his plan said he had to, but the smart phone didn't work right, so he's back to his other one.  He's pretty happy about that.

I don't hate my smart phone, because I can do so much with it, like compare prices when I'm shopping, play games when I'm waiting around, etc.

Edited by madmax
  • Love 4
On 8/4/2021 at 5:34 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

Nosebleeds!  Stuff two up your nostrils to stop nosebleeds!

Thinking of tampons up the nose, a family friend had a series of extreme nosebleeds that required cauterization.  After the cauterization, the doctor shoved what looked like a very large tampon up the person's nose to capture any additional bleeding and taped the string to his face. This is when it became a plus to be wearing masks for Covid.  No one had to see the nose string. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
38 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Thinking of tampons up the nose, a family friend had a series of extreme nosebleeds that required cauterization.  After the cauterization, the doctor shoved what looked like a very large tampon up the person's nose to capture any additional bleeding and taped the string to his face. This is when it became a plus to be wearing masks for Covid.  No one had to see the nose string. 

I had a nose job back in the 70s. It was supposed to fix my deviated septum, but doc re-designed the outside, too.  When he was done, he packed a bunch of gauze up both nostrils and I had to be a mouth-breather for about 10 days.  When I went back for the follow up and he removed the gauze, I thought it was NEVER gonna end. I swear, there was 20 miles of gauze up there.  (And the nurse in the office pierced my ears for me, too, without Doc knowing, as he didn't approve of pierced ears.) (My SIL was the office manager.)

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Is that commercial for one of the long distance ones?  Believe it or not, they have vibrators that can be controlled using cell phone applications over long distances, for long distance relationships.

I have a huge problem with unskippable ads to begin with, but people definitely ought to be able to skip sex toy ads, just like they ought to be able to skip ads showing violent content.

No, but I have heard of those. (Imagine some foreign hacker getting into your sex toy feed.)

This is something called the Womanizer Premium Eco...it's made from sustainable materials! (and in finding the link I learned it's only 200 bucks).

Nothing explicit in the ad or anything, and it's probably under ten seconds, but still. There is a longer version that is skippable, but I've never watched the whole thing. I suppose I could click the little "I don't want to see this ad" button next time.

• Useful 1

If someone hacks the sex toy while it is being used, would that be considered sexual assault?   I think it would be considered sexual assault.

I would agree with you.

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I had a nose job back in the 70s. It was supposed to fix my deviated septum, but doc re-designed the outside, too.  When he was done, he packed a bunch of gauze up both nostrils and I had to be a mouth-breather for about 10 days.  When I went back for the follow up and he removed the gauze, I thought it was NEVER gonna end. I swear, there was 20 miles of gauze up there.  (And the nurse in the office pierced my ears for me, too, without Doc knowing, as he didn't approve of pierced ears.) (My SIL was the office manager.)

I had a nose job too.  When they pulled the packing it was like the world's most disgusting magician handkerchief trick.  It kept going and going . . . 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

If someone hacks the sex toy while it is being used, would that be considered sexual assault?

are modern sex toys connected to the internet? If so, I guess I am REALLY behind the times.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I love my flip phone. You can still get 'em via Consumer Cellular.

You can still get them from AT&T, too; with the 5G rollout, my 3G flip phone was no longer going to work, so they automatically sent me a 4G replacement.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, madmax said:

He works construction, so it's a ruggedized model.  He's dropped it four floors down from a roof, had it fly off the bumper of his truck multiple times

I have a nice case for mine. I've dropped it multiple times and the case protects it well. Granted, I haven't dropped it four floors.

I also have a sport belt that I use when I'm walking so I can carry my phone without pockets. We women know about the disparity in men's and women's pockets. ;)

• Love 2
1 hour ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

When they pulled the packing it was like the world's most disgusting magician handkerchief trick.  It kept going and going . . . 

It had to be up in your sinuses.  I don't know why that packing would be needed there.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

I had a nose job too.  When they pulled the packing it was like the world's most disgusting magician handkerchief trick.  It kept going and going . . . 

Not a nose job but a repair of deviated septum around 2008-9. The dr was very clear he was not doing anything on the outside, multiple times. Man that packing hurt like he!! coming out. I about passed out twice during the process. It felt like it was stuffed up all the way to my brain!!

Edited by Gramto6
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Gramto6 said:

Not a nose job but a repair of deviated septum. The dr was very clear he was not doing anything on the outside, multiple times. Man that packing hurt like he!! coming out. I about passed out twice during the process. It felt like it was stuffed up all the way to my brain!!

As he pulls it out, you are like "what's that wavy grey matter?"

• LOL 1

26 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

The point of the ad is that a raw egg doesn't break and therefore the mattress is more comfortable, not hard. The egg not breaking is a good thing. I think it's supposed to be body conforming, but I'm not sure. I like a very firm mattress. Soft mattresses make my back hurt.

I've always used a hard mattress with my box spring. Then I got an adjustable bed. The base itself is VERY hard, so there's absolutely no give with a hard mattress - it was like sleeping on the ground without a sleeping bag.

They let me exchange the hard mattress for a much softer one that, combined with the adjustable base, provides the same type of hardness I used to get with the box springs. However, it rapidly developed a "dent" where my hips are. My brother says it looks like someone hovering by the ceiling dropped a bowling  ball.  If I try to sleep away from the dent, I slide back into it. But when I get up & make the bed, the cats have arguments over who's gonna sleep in the dent. They love that recess in the mattress.  <shrug>

• LOL 4
7 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I've always used a hard mattress with my box spring. Then I got an adjustable bed. The base itself is VERY hard, so there's absolutely no give with a hard mattress - it was like sleeping on the ground without a sleeping bag.

They let me exchange the hard mattress for a much softer one that, combined with the adjustable base, provides the same type of hardness I used to get with the box springs. However, it rapidly developed a "dent" where my hips are. My brother says it looks like someone hovering by the ceiling dropped a bowling  ball.  If I try to sleep away from the dent, I slide back into it. But when I get up & make the bed, the cats have arguments over who's gonna sleep in the dent. They love that recess in the mattress.  <shrug>

My mattress is a regular spring mattress with a layer of memory foam on top. You can definitely tell where I sleep. Which is not helped by the fact that you can't flip it over. (Also, it's old and I need a new mattress.)

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

My mattress is a regular spring mattress with a layer of memory foam on top. You can definitely tell where I sleep. Which is not helped by the fact that you can't flip it over. (Also, it's old and I need a new mattress.)

I can't flip mine, either, nor can I rotate it (head to foot) because the base has a bracket to keep the mattress from sliding off when the head of the bed is raised - and the mattress itself has a plastic panel where the bracket is.  I don't think it would bend properly either if I rotated it.  (First World Problems)

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I can't flip mine, either, nor can I rotate it (head to foot) because the base has a bracket to keep the mattress from sliding off when the head of the bed is raised - and the mattress itself has a plastic panel where the bracket is.  I don't think it would bend properly either if I rotated it.  (First World Problems)

I can rotate it but it's such a pain in the ass (it's a queen and I live alone) I don't do it very often.

45 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I have a pillow top mattress in the guest bedroom. The last guest in there was exclaiming at how comfortable it was and how they could sleep in there for weeks. It was time for the hard as a board mattress with scratchy cheap sheets.

• LOL 6