Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, nokat said:

What is sad is I find myself doing that occasionally because I see the random apostrophe so often. I have the Associated Press Stylebook but I see so much abuse it sometimes takes me aback when I see it used correctly.

I've accepted that it is a losing battle (or should I say loosing battle) so the devolution of language makes me sigh but I can't win.

That is exactly how I feel. I gave up all hope when I went back to school a while back, and in the first literature class I had, the prof spent time explaining basic punctuation, the difference between "rain" and "reign," etc. This stuff people should learn in 5th grade!

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, susannah said:

That is exactly how I feel. I gave up all hope when I went back to school a while back, and in the first literature class I had, the prof spent time explaining basic punctuation, the difference between "rain" and "reign," etc. This stuff people should learn in 5th grade!

I used to double space between sentences the way I was taught in typing class. I guess nobody does that any more.

• Love 4

Years ago, Gene Weingarten of The Washington Post wrote that the double space after a period was done away with by newspapers to save space. For long articles, that saves considerable space. He also bemoaned newspapers getting rid of editors. These days I only glance through and sometimes read my local paper, The Capital. I always find errors an editor should catch.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 3
38 minutes ago, susannah said:

the prof spent time explaining basic punctuation, the difference between "rain" and "reign," etc. This stuff people should learn in 5th grade!

I wonder how people mistake reign for rein. How does that make any sense? I'll reign them in? Really? Are you royalty now? Regime for regimen, that one makes me cringe. This is my new regime.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I used to double space between sentences the way I was taught in typing class. I guess nobody does that any more.

Just now, chessiegal said:

Years ago, Gene Weingarten of The Washington Post wrote that the double space after a period was done by newspapers to save space. For long articles, that saves considerable space. He also bemoaned newspapers getting rid of editors. These days I only glance through and sometimes read my local paper, The Capital. I always find errors an editor should catch.

I was just coming here to say I remember having that "discussion" with my son when he was in high school, and he graduated in 2005.  I think I almost always still double-space, still, mostly out of habit.

But how does double-spacing after a period save space?  Or was that supposed to read that removing the double space after a period was done to save space?

• Love 1

Totally not the same thing as bad grammar or spelling, but if I can just add my own little rant here:  if the giant international superstore's policy is to hire people who do not speak English to work there, they need to have a contact that the employee can call who can translate.  I just spoke to two different employees asking where I could find string, but neither person knew what string was.  The first guy tried to say, 'I don't know' then walk away, but I said, 'well, you work here, so if you don't know, find or phone someone who does.'  He found someone in another row, who also didn't know what string is.  Once I explained what it is (it's for tying things together, like rope, but smaller,) she asked me if I was looking for a pulley.  Now, how can you not know what string is, but you know what a pulley is?  Though clearly she doesn't know what a pulley is either if she thinks it's for tying things together.  When I said that is not what I am looking for, she looked into her phone and found 'dental string' which is also not what I want.  Eventually I gave up and went to the hardware store next door, which has string displayed where everyone can find it but also, people who seemed to want to help me find it.   Frustrated, I thought I would come home and send an email but when I went onto their website there is no link to an email address.  So, I had to call and spoke to a poor woman who gives me all the usual, 'I'm so sorry this happened to you,' but was in no position to do anything about it and didn't seem inclined to forward my concerns or give me an email address where I could write to vent my frustration.  The fact that they have gotten rid of almost all of their cashiers for the self-serve kiosks and instead have hired guards at the doors to inspect your packages when you leave didn't help my mood.  Like most people I know I have mostly stopped shopping there but every once in a while I get fooled into thinking I will save a few minutes or a few bucks, and it always comes back to bite me in the ass.  [/end rant]

Edited by bankerchick
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, nokat said:

I wonder how people mistake reign for rein. How does that make any sense? I'll reign them in? Really? Are you royalty now? Regime for regimen, that one makes me cringe. This is my new regime.

I can kind of see how people would have trouble with rein/reign. I mean, they both have to do with controlling something.  I'll admit I have to stop and think about which to use sometimes.  But rain, no, that one should be easy.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

Totally not the same thing as bad grammar or spelling, but if I can just add my own little rant here:  if the giant international superstore's policy is to hire people who do not speak English to work there, they need to have a contact that the employee can call who can translate.  I just spoke to two different employees asking where I could find string, but neither person knew what string was.  The first guy tried to say, 'I don't know' then walk away, but I said, 'well, you work here, so if you don't know, find or phone someone who does.'  He found someone in another row, who also didn't know what string is.  Once I explained what it is (it's for tying things together, like rope, but smaller,) she asked me if I was looking for a pulley.  Now, how can you not know what string is, but you know what a pulley is?  Though clearly she doesn't know what a pulley is either if she thinks it's for tying things together.  When I said that is not what I am looking for, she looked into her phone and found 'dental string' which is also not what I want.  Eventually I gave up and went to the hardware store next door, which has string displayed where everyone can find it but also, people who seemed to want to help me find it.   Frustrated, I thought I would come home and send an email but when I went onto their website there is no link to an email address.  So, I had to call and spoke to a poor woman who gives me all the usual, 'I'm so sorry this happened to you,' but was in no position to do anything about it and didn't seem inclined to forward my concerns or give me an email address where I could write to vent my frustration.  The fact that they have gotten rid of almost all of their cashiers for the self-serve kiosks and instead have hired guards at the doors to inspect your packages when you leave didn't help my mood.  Like most people I know I have mostly stopped shopping there but every once in a while I get fooled into thinking I will save a few minutes or a few bucks, and it always comes back to bite me in the ass.  [/end rant]

Maybe if they paid a decent wage, they could get people work there who are not poor immigrants.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

Totally not the same thing as bad grammar or spelling, but if I can just add my own little rant here:  if the giant international superstore's policy is to hire people who do not speak English to work there, they need to have a contact that the employee can call who can translate.  I just spoke to two different employees asking where I could find string, but neither person knew what string was. 

You found someone to ask in the superstore?  You're ahead of me!  There used to be red/orange/green vest people (depending on the store) in every aisle, but lately, not so much.  Anyway, to solve the immediate problem but not the bigger one, maybe show them a picture of string on your phone?  Or look it up on the store's website, and it may tell you what aisle/section/bin it's in (at least that's worked for me).

But yeah, if they can't speak English (assuming it's in a generally English-speaking community), maybe they shouldn't be in the front line, customer facing job.

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, nokat said:

All hail nokat, the new poster-for-life ruler! Or your exercise program! 😀

• LOL 2
42 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Maybe if they paid a decent wage, they could get people work there who are not poor immigrants.

50 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

Boy do I hear you, and it drives me insane. It's also not just about people not speaking English, which is what gets me on customer service phone calls, but about stores having employees who know nothing about anything, not where anything is, etc, that is IF you can find someone to ask. About the language thing, this happened once, ages and years ago and it STILL bugs me. I was at McDonald's across the street from Disneyland, and I asked the Hispanic woman at the cashier something about one of the burgers, and she just stared at me. I was like, what comes on this burger..she had no clue what I said. She eventually went and got the MANAGER who asked what I wanted and I said "I just wanted to know what comes on the damn burger!" and he said, she thought you were talking about the cash register!!!!  WHY would they have someone working the counter at a busy food place that spoke ZERO English?

52 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

They who? The store wasn't identified, and I have run into issues in a number of stores and businesses. Even if only "poor immigrants" could work somewhere, all stores should have someone who speaks English.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

I still do that out of habit.  If a court requires filings to have only one space, I'll change it, but that's rare.  Otherwise, it's not worth me thinking about.

• Love 3
53 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Nope.  This store pays well over minimum wage, and this was no poor immigrant.  The demographics of the neighbourhood this store is in, is that it is almost all new housing, almost all immigrants from the same part of the world, and the houses are all close to $1 million.  I guess they could have taken the bus from the poor part of town, but highly unlikely.  Now I don't know why someone who lives in a million dollar house wants to work at a shitty retail job, maybe they're trying to expand their English skills.  The message I get from the store is 'f* you' anyway, so I guess I just won't worry about it and shop elsewhere.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I still do in all of my writing.  It's a habit I can't break.  What's funny is my 30 year old co-worker does as well and ALWAYS points it out to marketing when they only have one space.  Depending on the font used, sometimes it doesn't look like there's a space at all.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Why else would they  take a crummy retail job where people abuse you all day long?

Well they still can need jobs, but what I meant is that they aren't necessarily recent immigrants. There are people who have lived here for years and still don't speak English.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I still do. And you can have my Oxford comma when you pry it out of my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.

• LOL 9
  • Love 7
11 hours ago, nokat said:

Nobody understands free rein. So they write free reign. I can understand why. I think regime has become accepted use, as it’s so prevalent. 

Edited by GussieK
15 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I do that because the phone automatically adds a period. [/lazy]

• Love 5
4 hours ago, GussieK said:

Nobody understands free rein. So they write free reign. I can understand why. I think regime has become accepted use, as it’s so prevalent. 

The use of nauseous also irritates me. It means causing nausea but now it's used to mean feeling nausea. There's the word nauseated but that wasn't good enough and nauseating can be used in place of nauseous I suppose.

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, nokat said:

The use of nauseous also irritates me. It means causing nausea but now it's used to mean feeling nausea. There's the word nauseated but that wasn't good enough and nauseating can be used in place of nauseous I suppose.

Forty years ago, when I was a junior copy editor at Redbook, our boss was a really old-school prescriptivist.  This was one of her pettest peeves.  I really didn't care, but I had to follow her rules.  I believe that usage had become the more accepted one even back then.

She had one that gets me to this day.  If a writer wrote even in a fiction story (yes, remember when women's magazines published fiction?) "we turned on the television," Polly would change it to "we turned on television," which sounded unnatural.  Especially in fiction, you should just allow an idiom, and the idiom is that television sets are known as just televisions or TVs.  They had been since as long as I can remember, say, since 1958. . . .

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, nokat said:

I have never heard of nauseous meaning "causing nausea." I have only ever heard of people being nauseous when they feel sick, and nauseating means to cause nausea.

15 hours ago, GussieK said:

Forty years ago, when I was a junior copy editor at Redbook, our boss was a really old-school prescriptivist.  This was one of her pettest peeves.  I really didn't care, but I had to follow her rules.  I believe that usage had become the more accepted one even back then.

She had one that gets me to this day.  If a writer wrote even in a fiction story (yes, remember when women's magazines published fiction?) "we turned on the television," Polly would change it to "we turned on television," which sounded unnatural.  Especially in fiction, you should just allow an idiom, and the idiom is that television sets are known as just televisions or TVs.  They had been since as long as I can remember, say, since 1958. . . .

How did you like working at Redbook? I used to read the Ladies Home Journal as a kid and I believe they had a story in each magazine, as well as Redbook.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, susannah said:

I have never heard of nauseous meaning "causing nausea." I have only ever heard of people being nauseous when they feel sick, and nauseating means to cause nausea.

"Do you say I feel nauseous or nauseated?

Even though nauseous and nauseated are often used to mean feeling unwell, many purists insist that nauseous means “causing nausea” while nauseated means “feeling sick.” Casually, it is probably OK to use both words to mean feeling ill. However, in more formal situations, use each word correctly."

From grammarly.

I love the subtleties of language and I hate to see them disappear.

Edited by nokat
  • Love 5

I've let go of being irritated by nauseous used in place of nauseated. 

But I'll rise from my death bed to grumble if I hear someone say less when it should be fewer or literally to mean figuratively; I'm well aware language evolves, but there are some instances of it's been used incorrectly by so many people for so long, the wrong way is now considered an alternate definition I'll never stop kvetching about no matter how petty it makes me.

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
11 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I've let go of being irritated by nauseous used in place of nauseated. 

But I'll rise from my death bed to grumble if I hear someone say less when it should be fewer or literally to mean figuratively; I'm well aware language evolves, but there are some instances of it's been used incorrectly by so many people for so long, the wrong way is now considered an alternate definition I'll never stop kvetching about no matter how petty it makes me.

Me too. If you can count it, it's fewer. Fewer people, less sand (unless you can count the grains, lol) or less milk.  I guess you could say you were literally on your death bed at some point.

Word usage does become recognized as appropriate after enough misuse. I try to let it go.

Another one that bothers me, because if I use the correct pronunciation I'll be considered dumb:

"The word forte (pronounced “fort”) is a French word meaning “strength” that is used in English to refer to one's talent or ability. ... This word is often mispronounced “FOR-tay” because it is confused with the Italian word forte (pronounced “FOR-tay”)."

Edited by nokat
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, nokat said:

Another one that bothers me, because if I use the correct pronunciation I'll be considered dumb:

"The word forte (pronounced “fort”) is a French word meaning “strength” that is used in English to refer to one's talent or ability. ... This word is often mispronounced “FOR-tay” because it is confused with the Italian word forte (pronounced “FOR-tay”)."

For a while, I resorted to only writing forte, avoiding saying it, because I will not pronounce it incorrectly but when I properly pronounce it I get people "correcting" me.  I've started using it again, though.  When people don't say anything and walk away from the conversation thinking I'm wrong, so be it.  But when people try to correct me, I get to share about the difference between the two words.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, nokat said:

"Do you say I feel nauseous or nauseated?

Even though nauseous and nauseated are often used to mean feeling unwell, many purists insist that nauseous means “causing nausea” while nauseated means “feeling sick.” Casually, it is probably OK to use both words to mean feeling ill. However, in more formal situations, use each word correctly."

From grammarly.

I love the subtleties of language and I hate to see them disappear.

I say I am feeling nauseous. I will take your word on the proper usage, but I gotta say that nauseous means causing nausea doesn't much sense to me. I don't think I have used the word nauseated in my life! Another point of difference is the pronunciation of "nauseous." Is it two syllables or three? 😀

1 hour ago, nokat said:

Me too. If you can count it, it's fewer. Fewer people, less sand (unless you can count the grains, lol) or less milk.  I guess you could say you were literally on your death bed at some point.

Word usage does become recognized as appropriate after enough misuse. I try to let it go.

You want people who don't know the difference between "lay/lie," or "further/farther" to know the correct pronunciation of "forte?"

• Love 3
1 hour ago, susannah said:

How did you like working at Redbook? I used to read the Ladies Home Journal as a kid and I believe they had a story in each magazine, as well as Redbook.

I worked at LHJ too!  Remember Can This Marriage Be Saved?  We used to have short stories and a long book excerpt.  I loved working at the women’s magazines. We would get to eat all the rejects from the test kitchen. I grew up reading these magazines and it was like a dream come true. But we also relied on a lot of troubling stereotypes.  It was somewhat schizophrenic, as we were always telling people how to be strong women but also how to not gain any weight at Christmas.  The whole field was dying when I left in the 90s. 

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, susannah said:

I say I am feeling nauseous. I will take your word on the proper usage, but I gotta say that nauseous means causing nausea doesn't much sense to me. I don't think I have used the word nauseated in my life! Another point of difference is the pronunciation of "nauseous." Is it two syllables or three? 😀

It's a lot like sensuous and sensual.  I say I feel nauseated. The Liberty Mutual ads are nauseous. (Three syllables.)

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I called that Will This Wife Eat Shit? because the advice was so sexist.

My grandmother used to say that they were about telling women to be the perfect mate for their husbands, with no ideas or needs of their own, and then he would stop kicking her down the stairs. Same basic sentiment.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, GussieK said:

I worked at LHJ too!  Remember Can This Marriage Be Saved?  We used to have short stories and a long book excerpt.  I loved working at the women’s magazines. We would get to eat all the rejects from the test kitchen. I grew up reading these magazines and it was like a dream come true. But we also relied on a lot of troubling stereotypes.  It was somewhat schizophrenic, as we were always telling people how to be strong women but also how to not gain any weight at Christmas.  The whole field was dying when I left in the 90s. 

I agree about all the stereotypes. Women's magazines from the 40s and 50s focused on women's cooking, decorating, their physical appearances, and  "women's fiction," and they are still about all those things to this day, minus the stories. I must have missed the advice about being strong women!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, susannah said:

You want people who don't know the difference between "lay/lie," or "further/farther" to know the correct pronunciation of "forte?"

I struggle with lay/lie. I'm going to lie down.  I'll lay the book on the table. I decided to lay down yesterday. I can forgive people for the confusion. With further/farther I actually see less misuse.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, susannah said:

I agree about all the stereotypes. Women's magazines from the 40s and 50s focused on women's cooking, decorating, their physical appearances, and  "women's fiction," and they are still about all those things to this day, minus the stories. I must have missed the advice about being strong women!

They shifted focus a bit in the 70s, 80s and 90s.  You should Google the famous feminist sit in at Ladies' Home Journal.  I was in high school at the time.

• Useful 1
6 hours ago, susannah said:

Which is why "Sex and the Single Girl" and Cosmo, led by Helen Gurley Brown, were so radical at the time.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, GussieK said:

I remember those ads for Ayds, a diet candy? Each ad was a full page and told the story of a woman's (it was always a woman) weight loss struggle and ultimate success. I guess the AIDS crisis of the eighties put the kibosh on that.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 6
37 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I remember those ads for Ayds, a diet candy? Each ad was a full page and told the story of a woman's (it was always a woman) weight loss struggle and ultimate success. I guess the AIDS crisis of the eighties put the kibosh on that.

Oh, yes, those were a real staple of our childhoods, and the AIDS crisis did indeed end that product. 

• Love 3
52 minutes ago, GussieK said:

Oh, yes, those were a real staple of our childhoods, and the AIDS crisis did indeed end that product. 

I want to know what stimulant was in Ayds. "I have no appetite and have cleaned the bathrooms five times."

• LOL 6
18 minutes ago, nokat said:

I want to know what stimulant was in Ayds

Now you made me look.

The active ingredient was originally benzocaine,[1] presumably to reduce the sense of taste to reduce eating, later changed in the candy (as reported by The New York Times) to phenylpropanolamine.[2]

• Useful 7
On 10/20/2021 at 7:50 PM, susannah said:

The only time I hear "nauseous" being used for "causing nausea" is when people are complaining about other people using it incorrectly. I feel like I read it in a book exactly one time and was like "Oh, wow, someone out there really does use 'nauseous' like that." I don't hear people use it like that in real life. Everyone I know uses "nauseating" to mean "causing nausea" and "nauseous" or "nauseated" to mean "experiencing nausea." I wonder if it's regional.

• Love 4

I'm a reasonably well educated woman and lie/lay defeats me. I really have to think them through. I do better with sit/sat, but have my moments. The one  that irritates me is disrespected, to me it's disrespectful and some is being disrespectful to you they are not disrespecting you. It's lazy usage. 

Having trouble typing tonight, this chromebook is hard enough to keep a sentence going without it jumping all over and inserting random letters in words, but I have 2 large dogs, one of them is lying so close to my arm I can't move it and the other one is jumping around wanting to play with the one trying to sleep. I love them, but they are pains in the a$$. And, I don't feel too good. Have a cold, don't know how I got it, I don't go anywhere. I'll blame my nephew for bringing it home. I've used my Zicam a couple of times today. 

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

The one  that irritates me is disrespected, to me it's disrespectful and some is being disrespectful to you they are not disrespecting you. It's lazy usage.

But it's been shortened to "diss" now, so you can't tell if it's "ful" "ed" or "ing." LOL

Feel better. Be careful with zinc. Too much inhibits iron absorption. Conversely, too much iron inhibits zinc absorption.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, friendperidot said:

The one  that irritates me is disrespected, to me it's disrespectful and some is being disrespectful to you they are not disrespecting you. It's lazy usage.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Are you saying that just because someone is disrespectful doesn't mean they are disrespecting you? Or is it that you think "disrespect" shouldn't be a verb, and people should say "be disrespectful" instead?

• Love 2
20 hours ago, friendperidot said:

If we're going there, the use of "healthy" instead of "healthful." It's good to know that your morning avocado toast is healthy and probably going out for a morning jog.

Nouns get turned into verbs.  We all know about gerunds. 

Edited by nokat
  • Love 2