Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

• Start Topic

Yeah we went to buy a mattress from Sleepys or something like that, and the salesperson was so obviously desperate to get us to buy right that minute. "What do you WANT to pay?" "What would get you to buy today?"

We left and ordered one from IKEA.

From the Say What thread. Our issue was we have an antique bed frame and it's a solid walnut four poster I inherited from my grandma. We love it and there is no way we're getting rid of it. Therefore we need a double size mattress. The salespeople WERE NOT having it. "Did you know that a double is actually smaller than sleeping on two twins?" they would shout.  Look we're small humans, I'm 5'2", 112 Lbs and my DH is 5'6" 135, we do not need that much room.

We left and went to Ikea too.

• Love 4

I have a solution, at least in part, to the problem of AT&T not supporting my old flip phone as of February. They sent me a new and updated flip phone today.  I still may consider changing carriers in the near future but I don't have to think about getting and learning a new phone with a data plan.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

I have a solution, at least in part, to the problem of AT&T not supporting my old flip phone as of February. They sent me a new and updated flip phone today.  I still may consider changing carriers in the near future but I don't have to think about getting and learning a new phone with a data plan.

If it's the same one they sent me, there are some set-up steps I found more involved than they needed to be, but once I had it up and running, it's been pretty intuitive to use (which I hardly ever do, though, so I'm easily satisfied by the basics [thus having a flip phone]).

• Useful 1
1 minute ago, Bastet said:

If it's the same one they sent me, there are some set-up steps I found more involved than they needed to be, but once I had it up and running, it's been pretty intuitive to use (which I hardly ever do, though, so I'm easily satisfied by the basics [thus having a flip phone]).

Can you get the internet on a flip phone? I've never had one.

1 minute ago, peacheslatour said:

Can you get the internet on a flip phone?

I have no idea; I've never tried to (I just have one to keep with me in the car should I need to make a call from there).

Update: I just looked at the menu and there's a browser option, so I guess so.

• Useful 1
48 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Mine doesn't allow it.

my assumption would be that if "browsing" is allowed at all it would only be if you are attached to wi-fi. Otherwise you would need a (cellular) data plan

1 hour ago, smittykins said:

I had(very basic)Internet access on several flip phones I used.

My first flip phone had internet, but it was super basic, very slow, and VERY costly, since it used up the minutes.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

From the Say What thread. Our issue was we have an antique bed frame and it's a solid walnut four poster I inherited from my grandma. We love it and there is no way we're getting rid of it. Therefore we need a double size mattress. The salespeople WERE NOT having it. "Did you know that a double is actually smaller than sleeping on two twins?" they would shout.  Look we're small humans, I'm 5'2", 112 Lbs and my DH is 5'6" 135, we do not need that much room.

We have an antique Jenny Lind bed that takes a double sized mattress.  I hope someday to have a granddaughter we can give it to, but until then her parents have to sleep on it in our guest room.

• Love 3

I hate sharing a queen bed with another human (sharing with cats is fine, but I cannot handle another person unless it's a king bed, and even then I wish they were in another room).  I looked up the dimensions and a double is only six inches different, so not that much, but I'd feel the loss of every inch of that space.

And, in looking that up, I discovered there are even wider beds than the standard king.  I knew about California king, which is longer but not as wide, but there's also Wyoming, Texas, and Alaska.  That last one is the biggest option - 108 x 108 (a standard king is 76 x 80)!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I hate sharing a queen bed with another human (sharing with cats is fine, but I cannot handle another person unless it's a king bed, and even then I wish they were in another room).  I looked up the dimensions and a double is only six inches different, so not that much, but I'd feel the loss of every inch of that space.

And, in looking that up, I discovered there are even wider beds than the standard king.  I knew about California king, which is longer but not as wide, but there's also Wyoming, Texas, and Alaska.  That last one is the biggest option - 108 x 108 (a standard king is 76 x 80)!

I wonder if the Wyoming makes you feel like you're sleeping on mountain tops.

• LOL 3
6 hours ago, Bastet said:

Wow, I didn't know that. Those must be absolutely HUGE. I wonder where they buy sheets for them. Speaking of sheets, a double, which is what I have as I live alone, seems to be the red headed stepchild of beds anymore. I have been searching for 100% cotton sheets, no microfiber, and not 20 inches deep for ages and no luck. I guess everyone has a queen size or larger.

23 minutes ago, susannah said:

I wonder where they buy sheets for them.

Usually the companies that make atypical size mattresses sell sheets for them (for example, some Sleep Number mattresses need really deep fitted sheets, and SN sells them).  And Amazon showed a few linen brands offering Alaska King.  So they're out there, but there aren't many to choose from, and you can't just walk into Bed, Bath & Beyond and pick up a set.

I have the same double bed I've had since I graduated from my crib, but I've had an RV Short Queen size (same width as a queen, but the length of a double) mattress on it for about 15 years; when my parents bought a new motorhome, it came with a basic Sleep Number model, they replaced it with one with more features, and I took the one it came with.  So I have the width of a queen size (it just sticks out over my box spring three inches on each side, which you can't tell other than when making it). 

When I get a new bedroom set, I'll stick with a (regular) queen bed, because while there is physically enough room for a king, that wouldn't look right in the room.  So I'll continue to be of the "Thanks, now go home" persuasion rather than letting someone share it with me.  Honestly, I would be even with a king bed; I'm with Janeane Garofalo, who joked that after sex "I become like a bartender at 2 AM: 'Okay, people, let’s move it out; you don’t have to go home, but you can’t stay here.'”

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

I have full/double bed. That's big enough for the cats and me. I don't need anything bigger.. I'm lost in a king when I get one at a hotel.  But I agree that it's getting harder & harder to find bed linens for a double bed.

BTW, Jimmy & Rosalyn Carter, after 75 years of marriage, STILL sleep in a double bed. (This is not a mention of a politician. It's an example of a long-lived marriage between people most folks have heard of.)

• Love 4
13 hours ago, susannah said:

Wow, I didn't know that. Those must be absolutely HUGE. I wonder where they buy sheets for them. Speaking of sheets, a double, which is what I have as I live alone, seems to be the red headed stepchild of beds anymore. I have been searching for 100% cotton sheets, no microfiber, and not 20 inches deep for ages and no luck. I guess everyone has a queen size or larger.

I got some lovely bamboo ones for our double on Amazon. Sooo soft.

We have a split king sleep number type bed and when we first got it, the only place I could find sheets was where I bought it.  Now everyone is selling them.  I get mine on Amazon, the brand is Bare and I've had great luck with them.

• Useful 1

All this talk of bed size reminds me of many moons ago when my husband and I first started dating, we spent the night on a 22 foot sailboat, sharing a berth that was about the size of a twin bed and thought there was plenty of room. 😍

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
On 11/10/2021 at 3:17 PM, Bastet said:

That last one is the biggest option - 108 x 108 (a standard king is 76 x 80)!

How big would your bedroom have to be to fit this and not have to have your dresser in a different room?  I'm guessing a night table is not even an option for most people.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

I'm not sure that size bed could fit in my bedroom by itself!

It would fit across in my bedroom (but it would look ridiculous), but I'd have about a whopping two feet of space to walk by at the foot of it.

I wouldn't want a bedroom large enough for an Alaskan king bed to fit in.  My house was built in 1938, and one of the things I like most about it is the apportionment of space - the living room and kitchen are large, while the bedrooms and bathrooms are not small (well, the half bath is), but not any larger than they need to be.  Those are functional, one-purpose rooms and don't need to be any bigger; the living room and kitchen are where I want plenty of space.

• Love 4
On 11/11/2021 at 11:18 AM, peacheslatour said:

I got some lovely bamboo ones for our double on Amazon. Sooo soft.

We got a couple of sets of bamboo sheets - normal queen size - and they are terrific. Funny, when you take them out of the washing machine, they feel like canvas, but when they finish drying, they are amazing.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

We got a couple of sets of bamboo sheets - normal queen size - and they are terrific. Funny, when you take them out of the washing machine, they feel like canvas, but when they finish drying, they are amazing.

Do they feel like cotton or like a knit?

2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I'm sure everyone named Martha is pissed.  Besides, Martha wasn't that common a name 74 years ago.  Linda and Karen were more prevalent.

I have to disagree on this one. Martha isn't popular anymore but has been very popular through the ages. 75 years ago was 1946 and I am sure girls were often named Martha. Probably also Linda, but not Karen. That was later.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, susannah said:

I have to disagree on this one. Martha isn't popular anymore but has been very popular through the ages. 75 years ago was 1946 and I am sure girls were often named Martha. Probably also Linda, but not Karen. That was later.

In 1946, Mary was #1, Linda #2,  Karen #15 and Martha #32

http://www.babynames.it/top100/1/year-1946.html

Edited by TheWalkinDude
  • Useful 3
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

There is also Martha Raye, Martha and the Vandellas, Martha Mitchell, Martha Graham and Martha Nussbaum.

Also Martha Byrne, Martha Quinn, Martha Gilbreth of the original Cheaper by the Dozen, and many others, from way back in the day to young women. It's an old fashioned name, for sure, but it's not completely off the chart.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, susannah said:

Also Martha Byrne, Martha Quinn, Martha Gilbreth of the original Cheaper by the Dozen, and many others, from way back in the day to young women. It's an old fashioned name, for sure, but it's not completely off the chart.

Martha Washington and I used to argue about this all the time, back in the day. Good times.

• LOL 10
  • Love 2
22 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I'm amused by how y'all are proving my point by having to reach backward & forward through many generations to find a handful of Marthas.  BTW, Mrs. Jefferson was a Martha, too, but she went by "Patty."  Their daughter Martha was known as Patsy.

Why are you amused? It's a very old fashioned name, and no one has said differently. There are probably thousands of girls named Martha through the years, they just aren't famous. Not sure what your problem with it is.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, susannah said:

Why are you amused? It's a very old fashioned name, and no one has said differently. There are probably thousands of girls named Martha through the years, they just aren't famous. Not sure what your problem with it is.

It's not a very romantic name that's for sure. Romeo and Martha? Tristan and Martha? Let's try this:

Gone With The Wind. "The sweeping saga of beautiful Southern belle Martha O'Hara who marries the dashing Rhett Butler after the devastating American Civil War..."

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

It's not a very romantic name that's for sure. Romeo and Martha? Tristan and Martha? Let's try this:

Gone With The Wind. "The sweeping saga of beautiful Southern belle Martha O'Hara who marries the dashing Rhett Butler after the devastating American Civil War..."

I would sure rather be named Martha than Geraldine or Harriett or Mildred or Ethel! Ethel O'Hara? Big no!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, susannah said:

This whole exercise started with the Medicare commercial and me commenting not many girls were named Martha that would be 75 now. I'm not arguing that it's not an old-fashioned name and not many Marthas are famous; my point was not many girls were named Martha during the Boomer co-hort.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

This whole exercise started with the Medicare commercial and me commenting not many girls were named Martha that would be 75 now. I'm not arguing that it's not an old-fashioned name and not many Marthas are famous; my point was not many girls were named Martha during the Boomer co-hort.

It's a stupid commercial. They decided to use the name Martha instead of the currently popular Karen for the exact reason it stood out to you. It's off the mark, they are trying to present a stereotypical nasty old bat but they don't have the balls to actually insult potential customers, so they use a hopelessly outdated name in some kind of weird dog whistle to let Boomers know, they don't mean them.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, susannah said:

I would sure rather be named Martha than Geraldine or Harriett or Mildred or Ethel! Ethel O'Hara? Big no!

My best friend growing up has the middle name Ethel.  She hated it so much in HS she lied and had Susan put on her diploma.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Haleth said:

My best friend growing up has the middle name Ethel.  She hated it so much in HS she lied and had Susan put on her diploma.

It was probably considered a fine name for a girl  back in the 1800s and early 1900s..I had a great aunt named Ethel, but I would feel so sorry for anyone getting stuck with it after that. So your friend's name was Susan Ethel? I wonder if she legally dropped it as an adult?

• Love 1

My parents gave me a first name that I hated so when we moved in fourth grade, I started putting my middle name on all of my school papers. Within a year everyone, including my parents were calling me by my middle name. My grandmas took longer. But my middle name is the first name in my driver's license and social security card. 

• Love 1

My best friend growing up has the middle name Ethel. 

When I read this, for some reason my head went to: "I have a vewy gweat fwiend in Wome named Biggus Dickus". Nothing to do with the post really.

• LOL 4
1 minute ago, peacheslatour said:

My parents gave me a first name that I hated so when we moved in fourth grade, I started putting my middle name on all of my school papers. Within a year everyone, including my parents were calling me by my middle name. My grandmas took longer. But my middle name is the first name in my driver's license and social security card. 

I was never a fan of my first name, like mine middle name better, which I use online, but I would never have had the courage to do that at school. I didn't hate it, just really didn't like it. Did you legally drop your first name? I am reminded of  S. Epatha Merkerson, who was awesome on Law and Order. I always wondered what the S stood for if "Epatha," was better. Turns out it is Sharon, which is my sister's name. Do you ever tell what your hated name is? How can you have a non legal name on your license and SS card?

• Love 2

Luckily, I like my name, both first and middle (and last, too). I looked it up once and apparently my first name hit its peak of popularity in the early '70s, about a little over a decade or so before I was born. So by the time I went to school, my name wasn't a super common one - there were a couple other girls who shared it, but that's about it. My sister's first name, on the other hand...

Sara/Sarah was still a very popular name when I was in school, too. I know so many people with that name. 

• Useful 1
2 minutes ago, susannah said:

I was never a fan of my first name, like mine middle name better, which I use online, but I would never have had the courage to do that at school. I didn't hate it, just really didn't like it. Did you legally drop your first name? I am reminded of  S. Epatha Merkerson, who was awesome on Law and Order. I always wondered what the S stood for if "Epatha," was better. Turns out it is Sharon, which is my sister's name. Do you ever tell what your hated name is? How can you have a non legal name on your license and SS card?

I just reversed my first and middle names. So my name is (let's say) Gertrude Laura Smith. I changed it to Laura Smith in school and all my ID reads Laura G. Smith.

• Love 1