Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, nokat said:

If we're going there, the use of "healthy" instead of "healthful." It's good to know that your morning avocado toast is healthy and probably going out for a morning jog.

Nouns get turned into verbs.  We all know about gerunds. 

Yeah, the recent use of "gifting" instead of "giving" is annoying, but what REALLY bugs me is the use of nouns as adjectives, specifically with the word "woman."  It's not a "woman doctor," etc etc for God's sake.

2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Nice avatar, Nokat!  I didn't understand until now that your user ID is a command missing its comma. LOL.

Good one!

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, susannah said:

Yeah, the recent use of "gifting" instead of "giving" is annoying, but what REALLY bugs me is the use of nouns as adjectives, specifically with the word "woman."  It's not a "woman doctor," etc etc for God's sake.

Good one!

I agree with a lot of the grammar peeves I see here, but…. I may be misinformed, but I thought “gifting” had a more specific legal meaning compared to “giving”. Like, I may give you the key to my house to water my plants, vs I gift you the deed to my house. Hopefully someone with more background can weigh in. Also hopefully, “hopefully” doesn’t bug too many people. That’s one that used to be a thing for me but I’ve decided to live with it. 

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I agree with a lot of the grammar peeves I see here, but…. I may be misinformed, but I thought “gifting” had a more specific legal meaning compared to “giving”. Like, I may give you the key to my house to water my plants, vs I gift you the deed to my house. Hopefully someone with more background can weigh in. Also hopefully, “hopefully” doesn’t bug too many people. That’s one that used to be a thing for me but I’ve decided to live with it. 

I could be wrong but I don't think that using a noun as a verb is right. In the case of the key and the watering, it would be specifying a temporary transfer of an object for a reason. With the deed, saying that I give you the deed as a gift sounds right to me, thus also quantifying the nature of the giving. I am not sure what's wrong with "hopefully?"

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Nice avatar, Nokat!  I didn't understand until now that your user ID is a command missing its comma. LOL.

I decided to change my avatar, because Bill the Cat was a bit off-putting. Who can't love that face?

Nokat doesn't mean no cats. I've loved plenty of them and spent lots on vet bills for spay/neuter and food.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, nokat said:

I decided to change my avatar, because Bill the Cat was a bit off-putting. Who can't love that face?

Nokat doesn't mean no cats. I've loved plenty of them and spent lots on vet bills for spay/neuter and food.

That's why I mentioned the missing comma, as in "NO, Cat!"  (like they listen to us.)

• LOL 4
34 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

That's why I mentioned the missing comma, as in "NO, Cat!"  (like they listen to us.)

That's what I thought  you meant!! I have 7 "yard tigers" (ferals) and ho boy they don't listen to me one bit! Mama would move in in a hot minute but there are 2 very young "tigers" that need her still. I'm going to end up being a colony mama....

• Love 5
4 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

So are you just giving me the key to your house or gifting me? Asking for a friend. :D

• LOL 3
16 minutes ago, nokat said:

So are you just giving me the key to your house or gifting me? Asking for a friend. :D

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Gift as a verb has been around since the 17th century.  That doesn't mean I have to like it.

I have never heard the usage before very recently, in my life, and I have taken lots of English classes. But everyone is free to think what they like.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, nokat said:

That is an interesting comparison..."giving" me the key implies at some point I have to give it back after I did whatever it was you gave me the key to do. "Gifting" me the key implies that the key is mine forever, a gift, to do whatever I choose to do with it. It is mine now, no need to return it to you. Just my take on it...

Edited by Gramto6
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, nokat said:

no, kat! 😃

1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

That is an interesting comparison..."giving" me the key implies at some point I have to give it back after I did whatever it was you gave me the key to do. "Gifting" me the key implies that the key is mine forever, a gift, to do whatever I choose to do with it. It is mine now, no need to return it to you. Just my take on it...

That is why "gifting" should not ever be used as a verb.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, nokat said:

Note to self: do not eat brussels sprouts, cantaloupe and cauliflower in the same day. The gurgling that is happening will keep me awake.

Pretend you're purring. LOL

Seriously, I'm so sorry you're going through that. Be glad you didn't have sauerkraut or beanss, too.

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, nokat said:

Note to self: do not eat brussels sprouts, cantaloupe and cauliflower in the same day. The gurgling that is happening will keep me awake.

You are still getting cantaloupe this late in the year? I really like raw broccoli, but alas, it does not like me much.

6 hours ago, susannah said:

You are still getting cantaloupe this late in the year? I really like raw broccoli, but alas, it does not like me much.

I'm in southern California, what we don't grow, we ship in.

Raw veggies, yes, it produces a lot of gurgling but eventually the innards are happy.

• Love 2

To me,  it beats the hell out of "female". A woman is a full grown human being. A "female" can be anything from an animal to a certain part of a tool. In my experience, people who call women females are trying to dehumanize, degrade and belittle.*

*Non applicable to members of the military, law enforcement and the medical profession.

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

To me,  it beats the hell out of "female". A woman is a full grown human being. A "female" can be anything from an animal to a certain part of a tool. In my experience, people who call women females are trying to dehumanize, degrade and belittle.*

*Non applicable to members of the military, law enforcement and the medical profession.

I just filled out a form, male or female. Well, I have the organs so female. It's no wonder we get treated as an afterthought.

Talk of male/female, men/women reminds me of a funny story about one of my grandsons. Up until he was about six, every doctor he saw as a patient was a woman. The first time he saw a doctor who was a man, he informed his mother that he couldn't be a real doctor, because only women were allowed to be doctors. 🤣

• LOL 4
  • Love 8
34 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Talk of male/female, men/women reminds me of a funny story about one of my grandsons. Up until he was about six, every doctor he saw as a patient was a woman. The first time he saw a doctor who was a man, he informed his mother that he couldn't be a real doctor, because only women were allowed to be doctors. 🤣

I like the cut of this kid's jib and would like to subscribe to his newsletter.

• LOL 8
  • Love 6
14 hours ago, susannah said:

no, kat! 😃

That is why "gifting" should not ever be used as a verb.

If gifting has been around since the 17th century, I suspect it became archaic and has been revived in recent times.  I never heard "gifting" either until recently.  I do not like it.

I gave my beloved a Christmas gift.  I gave my friend a bracelet as a Christmas gift.  I gave my mom a bracelet for Christmas (gift being implied).

I like hopefully.  Hopefully, we'll get together soon.

A pet peeve of mine:  "He's a male nurse."

I hate "new" Jake from State Farm and all the idiots who ply him with freebies to pay him back for all the discounts they got.  I liked Original Jake and his wife.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

I liked Original Jake and his wife.

I don't remember the original Jake from State Farm having a wife.  The guy who called State Farm at 3:00 in the morning had a wife (the "What are you wearing, 'Jake from State Farm'?"/"She sounds hideous" woman), but I don't remember seeing Jake anywhere other than at his desk.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I don't remember the original Jake from State Farm having a wife.  The guy who called State Farm at 3:00 in the morning had a wife (the "What are you wearing, 'Jake from State Farm'?"/"She sounds hideous" woman), but I don't remember seeing Jake anywhere other than at his desk.

Nor do I.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I  disagree. Female can be a noun or an adjective. Woman is a noun, period. I think there is a difference between calling a woman a female, which is degrading and belittling, and using it as an adjective to provide further information.  Also, if you feel that way, why are certain occupations exempted?  I expect people would know from the context what kind of female is being described, in regards to being an animal or a part of a tool. I will go even farther and say that I have seen the term women used to describe girls, also wrong,as they are not adults.

1 minute ago, susannah said:

I  disagree. Female can be a noun or an adjective. Woman is a noun, period. I think there is a difference between calling a woman a female, which is degrading and belittling, and using it as an adjective to provide further information.  Also, if you feel that way, why are certain occupations exempted?  I expect people would know from the context what kind of female is being described, in regards to being an animal or a part of a tool. I will go even farther and say that I have seen the term women used to describe girls, also wrong,as they are not adults.

I agree. I only exempted those professions because I always get flamed by same whenever I point out how degrading and dehumanizing it is to call women "females" I hate when girls are called women because it's usually in a story about sexual assault. And it's the wrong usage of the word.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, CrystalBlue said:

If gifting has been around since the 17th century, I suspect it became archaic and has been revived in recent times.  I never heard "gifting" either until recently.  I do not like it.

I gave my beloved a Christmas gift.  I gave my friend a bracelet as a Christmas gift.  I gave my mom a bracelet for Christmas (gift being implied).

I like hopefully.  Hopefully, we'll get together soon.

A pet peeve of mine:  "He's a male nurse."

I hate "new" Jake from State Farm and all the idiots who ply him with freebies to pay him back for all the discounts they got.  I liked Original Jake and his wife.

Exactly.  Also the hopefully statement sounds correct to me. Do you dislike  "male nurse" because the sex of the nurse is irrelevant? I do not like freebie Jake at all.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, susannah said:

Exactly.  Also the hopefully statement sounds correct to me. Do you dislike  "male nurse" because the sex of the nurse is irrelevant? I do not like freebie Jake at all.

No, I dislike it because calling a He a male is redundant.  No one ever says, "She's a female nurse."  You would say, "He's a nurse at Community General Hospital" not "He's a male nurse at CGH."

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

No, I dislike it because calling a He a male is redundant.  No one ever says, "She's a female nurse."  You would say, "He's a nurse at Community General Hospital" not "He's a male nurse at CGH."

But that is not the only way that the sex of a person would be mentioned. I could say, "I have never been helped by a male nurse," which would not be the same as "I have never been helped by a nurse." Or "I had only one male teacher in grade school." It depends on the topic of conversation.

This also is something that seems to be everywhere now, used by kids and adults, and makes me nuts. WHEN did "me and Mary" become acceptable, instead of "Mary and I?"

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, susannah said:

But that is not the only way that the sex of a person would be mentioned. I could say, "I have never been helped by a male nurse," which would not be the same as "I have never been helped by a nurse." Or "I had only one male teacher in grade school." It depends on the topic of conversation.

This also is something that seems to be everywhere now, used by kids and adults, and makes me nuts. WHEN did "me and Mary" become acceptable, instead of "Mary and I?"

Which leads to one of the grammar errors that drives me nuts.  It is correct to say "Mary and I went to the movies".  It is not correct to say "they gave a party for Mary and I".  People who are trying to be correct have become frightened to use "me" even when it's right.  I was taught in the olden days to take out the other name to see if it sounds right: "they gave a party for I".

• Love 12
2 hours ago, Suzn said:

Which leads to one of the grammar errors that drives me nuts.  It is correct to say "Mary and I went to the movies".  It is not correct to say "they gave a party for Mary and I".  People who are trying to be correct have become frightened to use "me" even when it's right.  I was taught in the olden days to take out the other name to see if it sounds right: "they gave a party for I".

Which brings me back to Ice-T's friend, "Carshield saved my family and I $1400!"  I hope he used some of that money for grammar lessons.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Suzn said:

Absolutely. I should have made it more clear that I meant that. And in any event, "I" or "me" does not belong at the beginning as in my example!

• Love 1
5 hours ago, susannah said:

I'm not talking about mentioning the gender of a person in respect to their occupation.  I only mentioned the redundancy of using a pronoun which already indicates the gender of the person.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I agree. I only exempted those professions because I always get flamed by same whenever I point out how degrading and dehumanizing it is to call women "females" I hate when girls are called women because it's usually in a story about sexual assault. And it's the wrong usage of the word.

There are a bunch of memes on FB that ask "Are there any females out there who [variety of actions]?"  Using "female" instead of "women" hits me as condescending and sneering.  I wouldn't answer any of these anyway, but the tone of these is offputting.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Haleth said:

There are a bunch of memes on FB that ask "Are there any females out there who [variety of actions]?"  Using "female" instead of "women" hits me as condescending and sneering.  I wouldn't answer any of these anyway, but the tone of these is offputting.

Agreed.

• Love 2
Just now, peacheslatour said:

Are you a fan of Leverage? I have a theory that people who like the Parker commercial may be fondly remembering the Parker character from Leverage.

No, never watched it.  I just think they lucked out with that actress in the first ad. (If you notice, that version still shows up, despite all the later ones.)

• Love 2

I'm the same way - I like Parker largely because of the actor's line delivery on "You're the man, man".  And, no, I've never seen Leverage; if you asked me to name Parkers, I'd say Parker Posey, Parker Stevenson, and Parker who brings a gallon jug as a side of ranch.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Are you a fan of Leverage? I have a theory that people who like the Parker commercial may be fondly remembering the Parker character from Leverage.

I was a huge fan of Leverage but never connected "Pizza" Parker with the character Parker on the show. But I do like her the best of all the gift givers.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

I was a huge fan of Leverage but never connected "Pizza" Parker with the character Parker on the show. But I do like her the best of all the gift givers.

Wasn't that just the best show? State Farm's Parker doesn't look like Leveage's Parker but she has the same "can do" attitude.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Wasn't that just the best show? State Farm's Parker doesn't look like Leveage's Parker but she has the same "can do" attitude.

That's the reason I do NOT like State Farm Parker. She's infringing on my Leverage Parker!

It still IS the best show - imdb via Amazon has a sequel - all the original characters minus Nate. Aldis Hodge has another project going, so he's only in two or three of the 16 episodes, but we get to meet his sister, Breanna, who becomes The Hacker. Look for it... Leverage: Redemption.  It's as good as the original, except for the lack of Hutton.

The first episode, The Bucket Job, is a sweet salute to Robert Blanche, the late actor who played Detective Bonanno in the original series.  Plus - LeVar Burton as a Librarian.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Prevailing Wind said:

That's the reason I do NOT like State Farm Parker. She's infringing on my Leverage Parker!

It still IS the best show - imdb via Amazon has a sequel - all the original characters minus Nate. Aldis Hodge has another project going, so he's only in two or three of the 16 episodes, but we get to meet his sister, Breanna, who becomes The Hacker. Look for it... Leverage: Redemption.  It's as good as the original, except for the lack of Hutton.

The first episode, The Bucket Job, is a sweet salute to Robert Blanche, the late actor who played Detective Bonanno in the original series.  Plus - LeVar Burton as a Librarian.

Oh wow!

• Love 1

Re: Leverage. Oh great, another 90s/00s show I can catch up with. In the past couple years I’ve gotten through West Wing, Justified, Mad Men, currently working my way through The Sopranos, and I feel like I’m missing some. Looks like I don’t have to worry about running out of things to watch!

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Oh, oh, oh I have to go look that up!! Thanks for sharing!

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Haleth said:

I absolutely agree. It is insulting to use "female" as a noun. It is an adjective.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, susannah said:

I absolutely agree. It is insulting to use "female" as a noun. It is an adjective.

Respectfully disagree. Here is the definition of female from Dictionary.com.

female

[ fee-meyl ]SHOW IPA

See synonyms for: female / females / femaleness on Thesaurus.com

🍎 Elementary Level

noun

a person bearing two X chromosomes in the cell nuclei and normally having a vagina, a uterus and ovaries, and developing at puberty a relatively rounded body and enlarged breasts, and retaining a beardless face; a girl or woman.

an organism of the sex or sexual phase that normally produces egg cells.

SEE MORE

adjective

of, relating to, or being a female animal or plant.

of, relating to, or characteristic of a female person; feminine:female suffrage; female charm.

composed of females:a female readership.

Botany.

designating or pertaining to a plant or its reproductive structure that produces or contains elements requiring fertilization.

(of seed plants) pistillate.