Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

• Start Topic

Re: the Rob Lowe discussion--I'm 40, and the business with him and the underaged girl (wasn't there a video?) is still the first thing I think about when I see him in something. It obviously wasn't a life-ruining thing for him to have done, and would probably be even less so today, and it doesn't make me specifically not watch something he's he's in, because I think he's been remorseful and changed, unlike, say, R. Kelly.

• Love 5

I had totally forgotten about what Rob Lowe did!

Am I imagining things, or didn't there used to be a "fast food commercial" thread here?

Not sure where to put this since there isn't a category for" fast food place ads that make you want to hurl"....What kind of drugs had to be ingested to come up with the Frito Pizza? Like we don't consume enough junk food as a nation as it is? Something about it looks so barf-worthy whenever it's on. Ick.

Didn't someone else had Fritos corn chips as the ingredient of one of their menu items earlier this year?

I had totally forgotten about what Rob Lowe did!

Am I imagining things, or didn't there used to be a "fast food commercial" thread here?

Didn't someone else had Fritos corn chips as the ingredient of one of their menu items earlier this year?

It feels like a very Taco Bell thing to do.

It feels like a very Taco Bell thing to do.

I've recently seen commercials where Papa John's has added Fritos corn chips to their pizza. 

Really. I love pizza; I love Fritos. I do NOT love Fritos ON my pizza. Gross.

We used to have a pizza place here called Pie Works, where they'd let you put all sorts of weird stuff on your order. Alligator, rattlesnake, etc. But they did not offer Fritos among the selections. Lower-end places should take the hint.

• Love 3

I was the one who mentioned them :) It is definitely worth it to keep them out of landfills, but it doesn't end up being cheaper. They are like socks. They slowly disappear and every few years you do end up needing to replace them. But I definitely was not suggesting they aren't worth it. Not only are they better for thee vnironment, but they are better for you. The disposable ones are processed with a bunch of chemicals

Are you saying they need to be replaced because of wear or solely because of misplacing them?  To be honest, even though I believe you, I can't really comprehend losing them.  They'd go from the sink to the garment bag, to the washing machine and dryer, then back in the drawer.  I'm not sure at what point they'd go missing.  And I'd only need one or two with the frequency that I'd be using them, that I'd notice immediately if one wasn't where it should be and there'd be a manhunt.

I've been uisng them for a few years. They mostly turn up missing. I usually have to get new ones after about two years because I can't find them anymore. Maybe you are better organized that I am :). I also have a really heavy, long period, so I typically use about 6 - 8 pads and 6 - 10 liners each month (and that's even using the cup too). The liners start to get pretty ratty after a year or so and need to be replaced anyway.

They are great, though. I tried making my own, but it wasn't worth the trouble and they didn't survive more than a few washes when I made them myself.

Seriously? You're replacing them after only a year of use? Granted, I'm only using the liners, and probably using/washing them less than you, but mine are still in good shape. Only some minor shrinkage and pilling of the material. (Been using them for a little over a year.) Lunapads should last a few years, with good care easily.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1
I also have a really heavy, long period, so I typically use about 6 - 8 pads and 6 - 10 liners each month (and that's even using the cup too).
Does this mean you're using each individual pad/liner once per period or multiple times per period?  Because that's 12-13 washings per year if only used once per period, and nothing should get ratty after 12 washings.  Nothing should get ratty after 24 washings.  Otherwise that's poor craftsmanship. 

I'm glad to hear two opposing perspectives.  I'm trying to understand the reality here. :)  The website indicates the life should be about 5 years.  They won't be what I use primarily, so I was thinking I'd actually get a longer life.  I don't think I'll lose any.  I've never been one for losing socks either.

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 1

You can bet I'm keeping track of mine -- they were pricey! Although, I did get one free. (They've occasionally had free samples available.)

They won't be what I use primarily, so I was thinking I'd actually get a longer life.

That's how I'm using them at the moment; to reduce the amount of disposables I use.

• Love 2

Re the GoGurt "Snacktime and lunch" ad: The kid appears to be around 5th-6th grade. I realize that things have changed a lot since I was in school([small voice]1984 graduate[/sv]), but do middle schools have "snacktime" nowadays?

Yes, they do, because they only get 20 minutes for lunch and it's not enough time to eat. My 7th grader is still ravenous when he gets home, but they do have snacktime in the classroom. My 3rd grader has silent lunch because the kids weren't eating enough and were hungry. It's really kind of crappy being a student nowadays. 

Does anyone else feel this way? Or maybe I am wrong.

There are products advertised that say they are the best at revitalizing facial skin, getting rid of wrinkles, etc. Often they will have they have creator or doctor on selling it and showing the befores and afters. I always look at their faces and while they do look good and soft their own faces do not live up to the promises of the product. They have sagging jowls and loose skin on their necks. And the product is always sold to women. I am often tempted to try them out but...

Save your money, ethalfrida.  Have you ever seen that Dr. Ordon's wife?  Her face is pulled so tight by plastic surgeries that I fear she'll rip her face open if she tries to close her mouth fully.  If his products are so great, she'd be a natural beauty...not a plastic doll.  Not to mention that he loves that botox for himself!

A lot of these products are temporary face plumpers that do nothing to help the skin.

• Love 2

I just realized I don't see any coffee commercials anymore. Seems like I was inundated with them as a kid. Folgers, Maxwell House, Sanka, and who could forget the Tasters Choice soap opera? And come to think of it, I rarely see soda commercials either. Does anyone know why? Was there some regulation of the caffeine business that I missed?

• Love 3

I just realized I don't see any coffee commercials anymore. Seems like I was inundated with them as a kid. Folgers, Maxwell House, Sanka, and who could forget the Tasters Choice soap opera?

There are still coffee commercials, but they don't want you to buy it at a grocery store; they want you to get it at Dunkin Donuts, McDonalds, Starbucks, etc either brewed by somebody behind a counter, or in a very expensive bag.

• Love 3

There are still coffee commercials, but they don't want you to buy it at a grocery store; they want you to get it at Dunkin Donuts, McDonalds, Starbucks, etc either brewed by somebody behind a counter, or in a very expensive bag.

Ah, you guys are right. So maybe all those companies merged and they're all owned by the same folks, eliminating the need for ad competition?

I'm putting this here because it deals with a product rather than an ad.

Do weight-loss programs which provide pre-packaged food expect you to keep buying said food after you reach your goal weight? I think that would be a good way to line their coffers. Or do they just assume that once you start making your own food again you'll gain the weight back, forcing you to rejoin?

• Love 2

Do weight-loss programs which provide pre-packaged food expect you to keep buying said food after you reach your goal weight? I think that would be a good way to line their coffers. Or do they just assume that once you start making your own food again you'll gain the weight back, forcing you to rejoin?

Little bit of column A, little bit of column B. The strategy allows different routes for retaining you as a customer. Also a lot of people stay on the "program food" after they reach goal weight to try to stay there, and the switch away from that can either be: indicative of a plateau, which may or may not lead to backsliding, or may be indicative of the beginning of a backslide anyway. So basically, as long as you don't blame them for said backsliding, they can get you back.

Over in the "Say What" thread, Rick Kitchen mentioned the Honey Baked Ham commercial about how it's better than your mama's ham.

It reminded me of the Gallery of Regrettable Food, a website that snarks on old cookbooks & food advertising.  If you decide to visit, my humble recommendation is to save "Aunt Jenny's Real-Life Stories" for last; I laughed until I cried.

http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/

• Love 5

I don't know where to post this... but on Adult Swim TV channel they have a lot of transition between shows cartoons. The one that cracks me up is the little pink bunny with his booty showing. A little pink real booty above his sagging pants. Has anyone else seen it? I giggle just thinking about it.

I really don't think there's a thread for this - I'm watching the All-Star game at 17 minutes past the hour (or 7:17 here). There was just a commercial for the Galaxy S6 involving some sort of rebate. I don't have TIVO and didn't hear enough to Google. Can anyone here rewaind and find out what I just saw?

Thanks. I swear it was an ad by Samsung but I can't find it, at all. I must have missed something important. It's a sign to keep my S3 for a while longer.

I saw it again - samsungpromotions.com. They're doing their own "trade-in" program. Too bad my phone is only worth $48.

• Love 1