Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

My mother, who waited tables for a couple of decades, disagrees with you.

Ha ha ha!  Of course anyone who holds a job where tips are involved does. 

• Love 1
On 7/25/2016 at 5:56 PM, wings707 said:

It is important to tip those in service.  No need to go overboard.  Minimun 15 %.  I always do 20%

No to these!  They charge for their services, these jobs are not considered in the service industry.  

No!. You do not tip an entrepreneur. 

It is as gauche to over tip as it is to under tip. 

Once I took it upon myself to take my son to a barber that runs his business from his home. My husband was shocked that I didn't tip. My excuse was that its HIS business, all the money is going to HIM; but my husband insisted that I was wrong.

Also my hairdresser has her own salon. She's the only worker and rents her space at a local shopping center. I always tip her because I feel embarrassed not to, but am i required? She IS  an entrepreneur just like the barber.

• Love 1
Just now, Blissfool said:

Once I took it upon myself to take my son to a barber that runs his business from his home. My husband was shocked that I didn't tip. My excuse was that its HIS business, all the money is going to HIM; but my husband insisted that I was wrong.

Also my hairdresser has her own salon. She's the only worker and rents her space at a local shopping center. I always tip her because I feel embarrassed not to, but am i required? She IS  an entrepreneur just like the barber.

Technically you don't tip the owner of a salon.  I will always tip a hair stylist no matter what.  

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

My mother, who waited tables for a couple of decades, disagrees with you.

Well, there's a difference between gauche and unappreciated. 

I've always heard you don't tip the proprietor of an establishment.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Blissfool said:

If someone runs their business out of their home, I would see no reason to tip.  

My hairdresser rents a space in a suite of salons.  she gives me a receipt with a space for "tip", but that confuses me, because I always thought you only tip when the stylist is working for someone else.

I'm also hoping that the situation with tipping a mail carrier is different when they don't come to your door, but to a cluster of maybe 4 dozen mailboxes in one freestanding structure, half a block from my townhouse.

• Love 1

You tip if you want the other person to have good will toward you the next time you patronize them, even if it's the owner of the place. Unless you like having "dipshit" shaved into the back of your head when you get a haircut, or getting extra ingredients in your meal that the health department wouldn't approve of, that is.

• Love 2

I'm pretty sure tipping isn't supposed to be some type of extortion to ensure that the person doesn't bring (minor) harm to you next time you see them.

What's more, the only time anyone would even be able to retaliate against non-tipping would be if you were a regular customer.  If I go to a restaurant today and decide not to tip the server (not that I would do that), in all likelihood that person and I will never see each other again, and even if I go back they might not remember me.  I mean, I've worked in customer service, and there were too many customers to remember the faces of everyone who treated me shittily. 

I used to know a woman who never tipped servers unless the servers went "above and beyond."  She said that when she was a server, if she didn't get a tip, it meant she didn't go above and beyond, and it didn't bother her.  She just knew she needed to do better next time.  We tried to explain to her that when she did get a tip, it didn't necessarily mean she had gone above and beyond in the eyes of the customer, especially if it was a typical percentage. 

• Love 3

I find all these rules of etiquette around tipping to be fascinating. These don't exist where I'm from. The basic rules are if you like the service, you tip; if you don't, you don't. Other than restaurants and bars, there's no place where it's expected. Nor are there rules about how much. I usually tip generously because I feel like it, but I change that when I tthink it's warranted.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Can I share a non-commercial-related IV story too? It's so ridiculous; I'll to not to ramble.

Years ago, I woke up with a terrible, horrible pain in my lower back. It got worse fast so I went to the ER. I got there and they did all the usual tests they do (except a catheter because I practically kicked it out of the nurse's hand). They started me on IV fluids because they needed me to have a full bladder for that test with the jelly-smeared abdomen rolly-ball thing. Anyway, I had not one but two of those fluid bags, which boggled the mind of the nurse (she said it usually takes less than one*). Finally, I had to pee so they took me to the rolly-ball test. When I was done, I really had to go but they left me on a gurney in the hallway, still attached to that damn IV! No one came, but there was a bathroom not far away. So I started, like, pushing along the wall with my hands to move the whole gurney. I got to the bathroom and didn't know how to navigate the IV so...

I pulled it right out of my hand! I went in, took care of business, and came back out to find an angry nurse who showed me that I could have simply wheeled the IV apparatus in with me. 

Turns out I had a kidney stone, but by the time they told me that, it must have worked itself out because the pain was pretty much gone. But they sent me home with a coffee-filter-looking thing, which I was apparently supposed to use to catch the stone the next time I went to the bathroom. I didn't use it because I didn't care anymore!

* I apparently could withstand multiple bags of IV fluids because I had become adept at holding my pee for long stretches of time due to the fact that the bathrooms at the Barnes & Noble where I worked at the time were always in atrocious condition. The doctor told me that that may have contributed to why I ended up with a gnarly kidney stone in the first place. Cut to years later--when I have to pee, I now find a way! I also find that, ever since then, I always am slightly...I guess "aware of" (the best term I can come up with) my general kidney region.

I hope you're feeling better, friendperidot!

Apparently, even as a six-year-old I had high standards, because I learned to hold my pee starting from then because the bathrooms at my school were nasty. One day maybe I'll try measuring to how much I can hold, but I'm almost sure it's double the norm. Seems like a weird thing to brag about, but it came in real handy that one time traveling by car across Canada.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, theatremouse said:

It's a really efficient way to make your kidneys hate you.

I'm fine! I have access to much better bathroom facilities these days, I assure you.  :)

• Love 2

That reminds me of when I gave birth to my second child right around Christmas (Dec 21) and my then 3 year old son came to see his mom and new sister. He was relatively new to potty training. And the emergency cord at the toilet proved irresistible. And three nurses came tearing into the room before hubby could get out to tell them false alarm. I was mortified but thankfully they laughed it off and said it happens a lot with little siblings. But every experience I have had in that hospital has been good. 

• Love 2

Regarding the cat litter/cat waste disposal conversation: I live in a house with seven cats because insanity runs in my family. Well, actually, I had two but then my girlfriend moved in with her five cats and that's the way we became the Crazy Cat Lady Bunch. We bought a house recently and we are determined for our guests not to make stank face when they walk in. There's a small screened-in porch on the back of the house that we're using for all the kitty needs. Litter pans are there, as well as their food bowls. We bought one of those giant plastic pans that are made for concrete mixing and let me tell you, they make excellent litter pans. Unlike other boxes, the clumps do not stick to the sides or to the bottom. And the cats seems happy with it. I haven't noticed any accidents outside the box yet.

Edited by mmecorday
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, mmecorday said:

Regarding the cat litter/cat waste disposal conversation: I live in a house with seven cats because insanity runs in my family. Well, actually, I had two but then my girlfriend moved in with her five cats and that's the way we became the Crazy Cat Lady Bunch. We bought a house recently and we are determined for our guests not to make stank face when they walk in. There's a small screened-in porch on the back of the house that we're using for all the kitty needs. Litter pans are there, as well as their food bowls. We bought one of those giant plastic pans that are made for concrete mixing and let me tell you, they make excellent litter pans. Unlike other boxes, the clumps do not stick to the sides or to the bottom. And the cats seems happy with it. I haven't noticed any accidents outside the box yet.

I just have one kitty, and I use the same pan that you do.

• Love 1

To continue the cat litter discussion, I recommend The World's Best Cat Litter.  Yes, the name is a little much, but it's really great.  There are several different formula:  one is made from pine, the other from corn.  Supposedly, you can flush the stuff, but I'm always afraid of clogs.  

59 minutes ago, Phebemarie said:

To continue the cat litter discussion, I recommend The World's Best Cat Litter.  Yes, the name is a little much, but it's really great.  There are several different formula:  one is made from pine, the other from corn.  Supposedly, you can flush the stuff, but I'm always afraid of clogs.  

The people who maintain your town's water lines will thank you for not flushing.  That's all I hear from water people -- the stuff might be "flushable" but that doesn't mean it won't cause problems in the city's water systems.  Same goes for tampons, Kleenex, and premium bathroom tissue.  If they had their way, we'd all be using that one-ply stuff that you can see through. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, AuntiePam said:

The people who maintain your town's water lines will thank you for not flushing.  That's all I hear from water people -- the stuff might be "flushable" but that doesn't mean it won't cause problems in the city's water systems.  Same goes for tampons, Kleenex, and premium bathroom tissue.  If they had their way, we'd all be using that one-ply stuff that you can see through. 

I so agree with this. I have always used as little paper as necessary to do the job (one of my childhood homes had TERRIBLE plumbing and one of my brothers was overly generous with his paper usage.)  Nuff said. :(

• Love 2

When I was in sixth grade, our science class went on a field trip to the wastewater treatment plant (how fun!) and what I remember most is this vat of plastic tampon applicators that had been sorted out from the sewers.

I have a septic tank now and it scares me. Actually, the Rid-X commercials with the guy getting a $6,000 bill for a backed up septic tank scare me. But someone told me I just need to have it pumped out every five years or so and I should have no problems. Also, I bought the Rid-X.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, mmecorday said:

When I was in sixth grade, our science class went on a field trip to the wastewater treatment plant (how fun!) and what I remember most is this vat of plastic tampon applicators that had been sorted out from the sewers.

I have a septic tank now and it scares me. Actually, the Rid-X commercials with the guy getting a $6,000 bill for a backed up septic tank scare me. But someone told me I just need to have it pumped out every five years or so and I should have no problems. Also, I bought the Rid-X.

I would find that fascinating, but I'm weird.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, mmecorday said:

Reminds me of the episode of Insomniac where they visited a sewage plant and pointed out all the "rainbow trout", what the workers called the condoms people had flushed.

• Love 1

I would find that fascinating, but I'm weird.

We did that field trip when I was a kid, too, and it was fascinating.  I also got my Victor Hugo on in Paris and went on a tour of the sewers.  The science of how we deal with waste is interesting, and it's even more interesting to me how it was dealt with long ago, without the knowledge and capabilities we have today.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Bastet said:

I also got my Victor Hugo on in Paris and went on a tour of the sewers.  

Ooh! Did they let you go through the catacombs while you were down there? That would be uber-interesting!

2 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Wow I feel bad for you!  I've adored MP since I first saw their stuff in 1970-something.  Is there any of it you can watch?

I'm terrified of it all, and find a lot of "vintage" British television distressing. I have no idea why. It's a visceral reaction. It must be something from childhood that I don't actively remember.

I feel the same way about seeing housefires and people in full masks (but I know both of those have childhood origins). I'm not joking; it's a sense of dread and dispair. I just want to flee. I need to ask my mother if she watched a lot of British TV when I was a kid.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I feel the same way about seeing housefires and people in full masks (but I know both of those have childhood origins). I'm not joking; it's a sense of dread and dispair. I just want to flee. I need to ask my mother if she watched a lot of British TV when I was a kid

Did you watch Little House on the Prairie as a kid?  It did have a couple of traumatic episodes (well, more than a couple) -

Spoiler

one with a house fire and a baby as a battering ram, and one with a mime (a guy in a full face mask) that raped a child.

Spoilered for the sensitive - you really might not want to know these things about LHOTP. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

Did you watch Little House on the Prairie as a kid?  It did have a couple of traumatic episodes (well, more than a couple) -

I only watched this show intermittently as a child, and reading your spoilered stuff, I am SO GLAD I didn't catch those episodes!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Crisopera said:
  Reveal hidden contents

A baby as a battering ram

I wouldn't think that would be terribly efficient.

It's not.

1 hour ago, mmecorday said:

Ha! Aquarian1, did you post or lurk on the old "Little House" forum at TWoP? It was called Ma, Pa and that Mime Who Raped Sylvia.

I did, and I do here, too.  And even though I thought I had seen all episodes it was the TWoP thread title that made me realize I hadn't.   So when it came up in syndication I made sure to watch it, not thinking it could be as bad as described.  And it turns out it was, and maybe worse, AND a 2 part-er.  

• Love 1
On 8/22/2016 at 10:22 PM, AuntiePam said:

On 8/22/2016 at 11:52 PM, mmecorday said:

This reminds me of all of the crap people dump on the sidewalks (I live in a small city on the East Coast). Dirty diapers, tampons, used condoms, food wrappers, cups, water bottles, etc. Not to mention the dog poop that people don't clean up. I know the wind blows things around, but there are also public garbage cans every 2-3 blocks in my neighborhood. Is it that people in the crowded inner-cities don't believe in throwing things away properly? Or because the ratio of walkers to car-riders is higher? Or are there fairies in the suburbs that go around cleaning up neighborhoods? I just don't understand it. Why dump your McDonald's bag on the sidewalk when there's a garbage can 100 feet away? Makes me so pissed. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, topanga said:

This reminds me of all of the crap people dump on the sidewalks (I live in a small city on the East Coast). Dirty diapers, tampons, used condoms, food wrappers, cups, water bottles, etc. Not to mention the dog poop that people don't clean up. I know the wind blows things around, but there are also public garbage cans every 2-3 blocks in my neighborhood. Is it that people in the crowded inner-cities don't believe in throwing things away properly? Or because the ratio of walkers to car-riders is higher? Or are there fairies in the suburbs that go around cleaning up neighborhoods? I just don't understand it. Why dump your McDonald's bag on the sidewalk when there's a garbage can 100 feet away? Makes me so pissed. 

I live in Durham, NC, which isn't crowded at all (IMO) in comparison to Chicago or New York, and we have plenty of litterers here. Lotto tickets, fast food bags, pizza boxes, Starbucks cups, etc. It takes five seconds, maybe ten tops, to throw your lunch trash away, and there's usually a garbage can right there that someone else will empty later. Make the damn effort.

• Love 7
51 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

It takes five seconds, maybe ten tops, to throw your lunch trash away, and there's usually a garbage can right there that someone else will empty later. Make the damn effort.

I know of a local bus stop with an ongoing litter problem even though you never see very many people waiting at a time. A big barrel for trash was chained to the signpost. It didn't help significantly.

• Love 1

I know.  This used to be a serious pet peeve of mine, until I moved to a small town.  Our neighborhood is pristine, everyone keeps their grass cut, etc.  Not a lick of trash or dog poop.  In the town proper, there are no blowing mini-tornadoes of paper trash, no mounds of garbage everywhere that everyone ignores.  The only place that DOES have trash is the alleys; where the dumpsters are.  Crap neatly placed inside and the lids closed.  This place is wonderful!

I'm sorry you have to live in cities!  Hugs!

• Love 2

I work with and for actual millionaires who leave trash sitting on the kitchen counter. They don't put their glasses and mugs in the dishwasher six inches away from the sink in which they dump them instead. They count on the fact that someone will pick up after them. People just suck.

• Love 6