Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

What I don't understand is why rent is so high.  Wouldn't it be better for the mall owners to lower the costs to rent and have more stores and restaurants in the mall as opposed to raising the costs to rent and having very few stores and restaurants?

That makes sense to me! Fewer stores and restaurants also means fewer customers and less incentive to go to that mall at all, so mall owners are defeating themselves by keeping rents high.

• Love 2
Just now, icemiser69 said:

The only other possibility that I can think of is if a mall owner decides to get out of the mall owning business entirely and thinks he or she would be able to sell the property for redevelopment purposes for a bigger profit as opposed to selling it to another group who would want to keep the property as a mall.

In the first instance, I would think all the mall owner would have to do is not renew the leases.   When all the leases have expired, just sell the property for redevelopment purposes.

I don't know how any of that would work.  I am just talking out of my butt, but what I typed above sounds logical to me.

Around here they're tearing down strip malls and regular malls and building condos everywhere.

On 7/4/2021 at 3:26 PM, chessiegal said:

My husband has a friend who went to something like 6 doctors who were all prescribing him different drugs at the same time. He got seriously messed up until someone in the family figured out what was going on.

This is also why it's a good idea to use just one pharmacy, because they should catch contraindications. Although it's more difficult to do that now with medicine costs and shopping for the best price.

I had a family member who used different doctors to double up on sleeping meds, so she could use it to nap during the day, and still sleep at night.

I don’t have a specific commercial to refer to, but I’ve started seeing this canned beverage that’s “coffee coke” or “coke with coffee” or something like that. I’m both grossed out and intrigued. I like coffee, and I like coke, but…?  Has anyone tried it? Is anyone a fan?

• Useful 1
2 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Laverne DeFazio drank milk and Pepsi on Laverne & Shirley.   I think that is a disgusting  combination.

Hey! The leads may have had conflicts, but together they made a classic sitcom!

Coke cakes mixing Coca Cola® and chocolate are good, and the flavor profile is probably similar to Coke + coffee.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Hey! The leads may have had conflicts, but together they made a classic sitcom!

Yes they did. I have heard that in their later years, they were good friends.

Penny Marshall drank that in real life - she learned it from her brother.  I was never sure if the Marshall family were actually hooked up right because of that...

But think about how delicious a carbonated beverage (especially root beer) is when you drop a scoop or two of ice cream in it. It's not that big a stretch to get to just plain milk.

• Love 6
On 7/15/2021 at 3:03 PM, peacheslatour said:

Around here they're tearing down strip malls and regular malls and building condos everywhere.

Better than paving paradise to put up a parking lot...

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

But think about how delicious a carbonated beverage (especially root beer) is when you drop a scoop or two of ice cream in it. It's not that big a stretch to get to just plain milk.

I never thought about it that way; you raise a good point.  And now I want a root beer float, which I haven't had in probably 30 years.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
On 7/15/2021 at 9:05 PM, SoMuchTV said:

I don’t have a specific commercial to refer to, but I’ve started seeing this canned beverage that’s “coffee coke” or “coke with coffee” or something like that. I’m both grossed out and intrigued. I like coffee, and I like coke, but…?  Has anyone tried it? Is anyone a fan?

Coke with coffee.  It was a "Free Friday" thing at the local grocery store several weeks ago, so I picked it up (because Free!).  It's still in the fridge.  I'm afraid to try it. 

• LOL 1
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

I never thought about it that way; you raise a good point.  And now I want a root beer float, which I haven't had in probably 30 years.

I have one every year or so. I have to have A&W root beer and Haagen Dazs vanilla, because it freezes hard.Soft ice cream won't do. I chill the glass, put the ice cream in and pour the root beer over. The root beer crystals on the ice cream are YUMMY! In regard to Laverne's milk and Pepsi, I would imagine that the taste would be similar to a float. My folks used to put milk on jello when I was a kid, and it was similar.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

Much like vinyl records, I expect at some point that buying local will make a huge come back.  I don't know when it will happen, but I don't think there is any doubt it will happen.  People have been cooped up for over a year due to the virus, and most people couldn't wait for life to get back to normal, or for life to get back as close to normal as possible.  Part of that is getting out of the house/apartment/condo and shop.

I hope you're right.

We try to buy local as much as we can - and actually do buy 95% of our car parts from a Father & Son shop that charges more, but are really great at getting parts the next day and letting us pay in installments for those really big purchases - but it's becoming increasingly difficult for most other things.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, madmax said:

I hope you're right.

We try to buy local as much as we can - and actually do buy 95% of our car parts from a Father & Son shop that charges more, but are really great at getting parts the next day and letting us pay in installments for those really big purchases - but it's becoming increasingly difficult for most other things.

That's why we always get as many things as we can from Ace Hardware, they're all locally owned and operated and they have the very best paint.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I have noticed that Cozi has been only showing the latter seasons of Columbo (1989 thru 2003) over the past few months.   It would be nice if they would show the earlier seasons as well.

MeTV is showing Columbo in a new time slot of 6 pm Sundays. I think they are showing the pilot this Sunday.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
45 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

MeTV is showing Columbo in a new time slot of 6 pm Sundays. I think they are showing the pilot this Sunday.

Where I live, Montana it is on at 4PM a 2 hour show. Looking forward to seeing it!! Thanks for posting, I wouldn't have seen it otherwise.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I have noticed that Cozi has been only showing the latter seasons of Columbo (1989 thru 2003) over the past few months.   It would be nice if they would show the earlier seasons as well.

Whooo hoooo!  More episodes with Shera Danese!!  </sarcasm>

Honestly, is she in EVERY latter day Columbo?  We get it. She married Falk. That doesn't make her a watchable actress.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Whooo hoooo!  More episodes with Shera Danese!!  </sarcasm>

Honestly, is she in EVERY latter day Columbo?  We get it. She married Falk. That doesn't make her a watchable actress.

I think she's in like six of them. Yeah, she couldn't act to save her life but the roles she played were pretty forgettable anyway.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I finally got to see Strangers on a Train.  It had been sitting on my DVR for several months.  I liked the movie, but the ending was unnecessarily chaotic.  Characters were doing stupid things.  The cop shooting at an unarmed tennis player and the bullet ends up hitting the carousel worker.  The dude that crawled under the fast moving carousel and managed to get to the controls to turn it off, he decided to go full stop instead of gradually slowing it down.

I was looking at the cast, and I saw the name, Patricia Hitchcock (Alfred's daughter).

I don't mind having chaotic endings for movies.   It would be nice if it wasn't as a result of characters doing stupid things.

I have a mad crush on Farley Granger (he looks like my hubby) so I watch that movie whenever I can catch it but the tennis match! It goes on for approx. one million years. Takes me right out of the movie.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I won't really comment on what I read, but wow.

She sounds like a piece of work all right, but I have heard similar horror stories about other spouses of celebrities wanting to hold onto the money, like Casey Kasem's, and then other completely clueless people like Aretha Franklin having no will at all, guaranteeing battles over the money.

3 minutes ago, susannah said:

She sounds like a piece of work all right, but I have heard similar horror stories about other spouses of celebrities wanting to hold onto the money, like Casey Kasem's, and then other completely clueless people like Aretha Franklin having no will at all, guaranteeing battles over the money.

There were whispers about Peter Falk's wife as well.

On 7/15/2021 at 6:05 PM, SoMuchTV said:

I tried it and am somewhat embarrassed to say I like it.  It is very sweet.  A little goes a long way.  My only excuse is between Covid and being treated for bone cancer in my jaw, my taste changed considerably. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
12 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

I tried it and am somewhat embarrassed to say I like it.  It is very sweet.  A little goes a long way.  My only excuse is between Covid and being treated for bone cancer in my jaw, my taste changed considerably. 

You're very brave. All the best to you (hugs).

• Love 7

Julia Child's home kitchen is at the Smithsonian, and I really enjoyed seeing it.     It's a wonderfully equipped kitchen, but it's not like one of the ones people build now with the waterfall counters, and all of these upgrades that add nothing to cooking.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

For Julia Child fans, I highly recommend her memoir My Life in France. She tells her story - warts and all.

I spent 1 hour in her kitchen  - more specifically, it's in the National Museum of American History. It's a wonderful exhibit.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

A local coffee shop near my son’s apartment makes a coffee drink with coke syrup that is very good!

All this Julia child talk here and the other thread today… and today’s Sunday NYT puzzle was all quotes of hers. Funny

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

There are a number of cuisines that tend to look unappealing but taste great—I had delicious Indian buffet for lunch today, for example. I'm pretty confident anything Julia Child prepared by the time she was a household name would have been magnificent.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, chessiegal said:

For Julia Child fans, I highly recommend her memoir My Life in France. She tells her story - warts and all.

I spent 1 hour in her kitchen  - more specifically, it's in the National Museum of American History. It's a wonderful exhibit.

Wasn't she a member of the Resistance during WWII?

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, susannah said:

Wasn't she a member of the Resistance during WWII?

But before she churned out top recipes on camera, she made a career as an intelligence officer working under the agency that preceded the CIA. In fact, her first big recipe was a shark repellant that she concocted while working for the intelligence agency.

Oddly enough, her intelligence work actually led her to discover her passion for food by way of her husband, fellow spy Paul Child. This is the strange but true story of how Julia Child’s spy career led her to become an iconic celebrity chef.

From ATI.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Julia Child's home kitchen is at the Smithsonian, and I really enjoyed seeing it.     It's a wonderfully equipped kitchen, but it's not like one of the ones people build now with the waterfall counters, and all of these upgrades that add nothing to cooking.

My SIL has an "upgrade" I wish I had room for...you open a cabinet door and a shelf swings out and up to become level with the countertop - with the Kitchen Aid stand mixer on it.  The rest of the stuff, mostly cosmetic, I can do without.

• Love 3

What I'd like is an oven that has a door that pulls down as normal but then slides in so it's out of the way, like the ones on the Great British Bake Off.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
On 7/16/2021 at 11:44 AM, icemiser69 said:

Laverne DeFazio drank milk and Pepsi on Laverne & Shirley.  I think that is a disgusting combination.

As a kid I'd drink root beer and milk, the poor man's black cow.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

There is a special place in hell for those that intentionally treat others like crap, and for those that justify, and enable it.  That type of behavior usually needs an audience.   Without that audience, that behavior would more often than not fade into oblivion.

If I see stuff like that I usually say something. As my sainted mother was fond of saying "The kid's got quite a mouth on her."

• Love 2
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

There is a special place in hell for those that intentionally treat others like crap, and for those that justify, and enable it.  That type of behavior usually needs an audience.   Without that audience, that behavior would more often than not fade into oblivion.

I agree, but who are you referring to?

4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Just my observations as of late, both in the real world and online. It is abundantly clear that a lot of adults haven't been raised right, and there is no doubt in my mind that they will be raising and have raised their kids as horribly as they were raised.

Yep.

• Love 3
On 6/19/2021 at 10:31 AM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

If you like David Rasche, you should look for Sledge Hammer!, the show he had in the 80s. It only lasted 41 episodes, and I always try to talk it up because so few people seem to have heard of it.

I remember sledge hammer! when I was a kid. I thought it was funny

• Love 1

I loved that book! I could hear her voice when I read it. I wanted to eat all the food she wrote about. And I have seen her kitchen at the National Museum of American History as well.

• Love 2

I vaguely remember trying some of those when I was a kid, and thinking they weren't too bad but I'd have preferred regular cake or pie. I rightly thought having other foods suspended in a translucent jello mold was an abomination though, particularly when it was something like Spaghetti-o-jello.

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

I think some of the old 60s recipes in magazines were much worse, and I mean much worse.

As for the 70s, my mom was always making different types of Jello salad recipes.  A whole bunch of different kinds.  One of the ones I remember was green Jello with cream cheese beaten into it.  I don't remember all of the gory details.  It didn't taste nearly as bad as it looked.  But then again, nothing could taste as bad as that looked.

I do remember the window glass desserts.  They do look pretty.

My grandmother made a jello salad thing with lime jello, cottage cheese and mandarin oranges. I loved it and used to make it myself but sadly, it doesn't work anymore. Some ingredient must have been changed and it no longer sets up properly. I do have to agree that it tasted better than it looked.

• Useful 1
9 minutes ago, susannah said:

My grandmother made a jello salad thing with lime jello, cottage cheese and mandarin oranges. I loved it and used to make it myself but sadly, it doesn't work anymore. Some ingredient must have been changed and it no longer sets up properly. I do have to agree that it tasted better than it looked.

My gran made a thing with lime Jello and it had celery, green pepper and carrots in it. It wasn't bad but it was something I'd never make.

• Useful 1
56 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I've always enjoyed laughing my ass off at the crown roast of wieners.  The rest of that stuff isn't even funny.

Darn right! Most of those foods are downright scary !! 

• Love 4