Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I only looked at a few of them on the Christmas Candle link and I need eye and brain bleach! Why in the name of all that's holy did people think they had to construct horrible looking things with horrible looking food! A platter of cold cuts, cheeses and crackers wasn't exciting enough?

• Love 4
4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Those are the types of recipes that you make for a potluck supper when you don't want to be asked to bring anything to any future potluck suppers.🤢

Or don't want to be asked to come to any future potlucks at all!

3 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

I just imagine the tuna tree sitting out on a tabletop slowly warming for hours as all the Christmas partygoers go noseblind in tandem with its increasingly aggressive fragrance.

And the shrimp tower..... Maybe if the partygoers have enough drinks, they won't care!

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
On 7/22/2021 at 2:54 PM, icemiser69 said:

As for the 70s, my mom was always making different types of Jello salad recipes.  A whole bunch of different kinds.  One of the ones I remember was green Jello with cream cheese beaten into it.  I don't remember all of the gory details.  It didn't taste nearly as bad as it looked.  But then again, nothing could taste as bad as that looked.

It was probably delicious.

• Love 1
(edited)
16 minutes ago, smittykins said:

Jell-O came in vegetable flavors in the ’60s.  I’m glad I missed that fad.

I bet that lime Jello with celery, green pepper and carrots thing my gran used to make was originally made with one of those. Probably celery or mixed veg flavor. Huh.

Edited by peacheslatour

I'm a '70s kid, and my parents never made Jell-O, let alone with anything in it.  (I may have tried it at someone else's house, but don't remember; I do remember my first Jell-O shot, which wasn't even in college, but at a seriously tacky wedding reception in the late '90s.)  I'm going to their house tonight for dinner, and will have to thank them for having skipped this trend back then.

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, smittykins said:

Jell-O came in vegetable flavors in the ’60s.  I’m glad I missed that fad.

I don't remember vegetable flavored Jell-O, but does anyone else remember (probably in the mid-to-late-60s), a gelatin mix that came in "candy" flavors?  I remember something spicy like atomic fireball, but I'm pretty sure there were others. I don't think it was actual Jell-O brand, unless they created a whole new brand name for it.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I don't remember vegetable flavored Jell-O, but does anyone else remember (probably in the mid-to-late-60s), a gelatin mix that came in "candy" flavors?  I remember something spicy like atomic fireball, but I'm pretty sure there were others. I don't think it was actual Jell-O brand, unless they created a whole new brand name for it.

I don't but I do remember these.

image.png.3724e5afae0c253a6370c7b7ad32d478.png

• Love 10
(edited)

Oh, I'd forgotten about those and probably haven't thought of them in more than 30 years.

Speaking of nostalgic treats, I just bought a retro-branded bag of nacho cheese Doritos an hour ago.

D-wf4caUYAAoPnr.jpg

Though that's one snack food I have no fear of being discontinued—the day nacho Doritos aren't on the grocery store shelves is the day the looters have picked up the last bag after civilization has fallen!

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 6
21 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

Oh, I'd forgotten about those and probably haven't thought of them in more than 30 years.

Speaking of nostalgic treats, I just bought a retro-branded bag of nacho cheese Doritos an hour ago.

D-wf4caUYAAoPnr.jpg

Though that's one snack food I have no fear of being discontinued—the day nacho Doritos aren't on the grocery store shelves is the day the looters have picked up the last bag after civilization has fallen!

In order to post screen shots from your phone, do you have to use a hosting platform like Imgur?

1 minute ago, icemiser69 said:

Your buns look like they are in great shape, your grocery bagger did a great job packing them.

As for the Doritos, IIRC, I believe they have blue cheese in them.

I do like that marble countertop.  I love marble.

Corn, Vegetable Oil (Corn, Canola, And/or Sunflower Oil), Maltodextrin (Made From Corn), Salt, Cheddar Cheese (Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Whey, Monosodium Glutamate, Buttermilk, Romano Cheese (Part-skim Cow's Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Whey Protein Concentrate, Onion Powder, Corn Flour, Natural And Artificial Flavor, Dextrose, Tomato Powder, Lactose, Spices, Artificial Color (Yellow 6, Yellow 5, And Red 40), Lactic Acid, Citric Acid, Sugar, Garlic Powder, Skim Milk, Red And Green Bell Pepper Powder, Disodium Inosinate, And Disodium Guanylate.

10 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

There's one in every crowd.😁

Maybe it was the Cool Ranch version.  I know one of them had blue cheese.

I just couldn't believe all the chemicals. No wonder the things give me migraines. I do love them though.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Now I am looking at all of the ingredients on all of the bags online at their website, and I can't find one that had blue cheese in their ingredients list.   A friend of mine said their was blue cheese in one of them, and I hate blue cheese, which is why didn't buy them.  Perhaps it was another kind of cheese, and I am just confused, as hard as that is to believe.  Me confused?  Nah, never happen.  Nope. 🙄

Aged cheese triggers my migraines, along with some other types of dairy products.  Stress also triggers them.

That's the reason I looked. I hate bleu cheese too and I couldn't believe that they could sneak that one past me.

8 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

There was also this.

image.png.37d9f3cd51718c6393ebcdc3885a1221.png

I'm not sure how to import pictures but does anyone remember something called Spoon Candy? It was like pudding that formed a hard shell? There are so many things from back then I still remember, like Space Food Sticks and Screaming Yellow Zonkers....I LOVED those!!

• Love 1
13 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I just couldn't believe all the chemicals. No wonder the things give me migraines. I do love them though.

There aren't that many "chemicals" listed there, other than the dyes.  The rest are just dry forms of many ingredients.  In fact, I was surprised by the fact that there aren't a lot of chemicals in them!

• Love 2

Now I have to find a new migraine medication, because the old one stopped working as well.

I hope you find something that works for you soon!

Regarding the Jell-O discussion, I never could stand it. I did, however, love Jell-O pudding and I remember my mother made something called Pudding in a Cloud. It was basically Jell-O pudding on a bed of Cool Whip. She also made a cake with a Jell-O pudding frosting. She would take a yellow sheet cake and poke holes in it and then pour chocolate Jell-O on top of the cake. She must have added extra milk to the pudding to make it more fluid so that it settled into the holes. That sure was good.

Great. Now I miss my mom.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

I did, however, love Jell-O pudding

While we never made Jell-O in my family, we did have the pudding several times and I liked it.  In fact, there's a box from the '70s or '80s (complete with actual price sticker) in my pantry - I came across the artifact years ago while helping my parents organize their pantry, and brought it home to photograph and show to my friend; I wound up sticking it in the pantry, thinking one day on a lark I might whip it up and see what it tastes like after all this time.  I should do that (it's not like anything in there is actually going to harm me, it just may taste like ass).

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

While the Jell-O Pudding & Pie Filling boxes took up most of the shelf space in the store, my mom swore by My-T-Fine. So much better pudding than Jell-O's.  Now I make my pudding from scratch. Really, there aren't a whole lot of ingredients and it's SO easy.

As for Jell-O, I've never been able to choke it down. Mom would sometimes make it with a can of fruit cocktail suspended, which just made me want to barf.  Honestly, is there ANY nutritional value to gelatin?

• Love 1

Mom would sometimes make it with a can of fruit cocktail suspended, which just made me want to barf. 

Sophia Petrillo: If God wanted peaches suspended in mid-air, He would've filled them with helium.

• LOL 6
8 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

While the Jell-O Pudding & Pie Filling boxes took up most of the shelf space in the store, my mom swore by My-T-Fine. So much better pudding than Jell-O's.  Now I make my pudding from scratch. Really, there aren't a whole lot of ingredients and it's SO easy.

As for Jell-O, I've never been able to choke it down. Mom would sometimes make it with a can of fruit cocktail suspended, which just made me want to barf.  Honestly, is there ANY nutritional value to gelatin?

Yes. When I was a kid, I used to get frequent and lengthy nosebleeds. Someone told my mother to give me liquid jello to drink, which I liked, and it helped greatly. I don't know why.

• Useful 4

There's a little bit of protein.

• Love 2

Made from horses' hooves!

I liked jello as a kid, but my folks always made the standard cherry or lime variety with no added bits like flies trapped in amber. I thought it was amazing that the liquid would set up like that.

My grandfather was not a fan, however. When my dad was a kid, Grandpa would tell him eating jello was like opening your mouth and letting the moonlight shine in.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Bruinsfan said:

My grandfather was not a fan, however. When my dad was a kid, Grandpa would tell him eating jello was like opening your mouth and letting the moonlight shine in.

Is letting the moonlight into your mouth supposed to be a bad thing?

• Love 5
(edited)
3 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Speaking of Halloween, why kind of sick person hands out fruit?  Yeah, that happened when I was kid, along with dental floss and toothbrushes.  

That was usually old ladies.  They'd also hand out badly homemade popcorn balls.

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • Love 8

We had one lady, before all the alarms went out about strangers, that would invite us in & make FRESH popcorn while we waited! Another house set up their living room like a spook house. Gee, the 50s were fun...until you got to the Nesselrods house. You'd walk up the sidewalk giggling with your friends and BOOM! the lights in the house turned off. Never answered their door. We always wondered what their problem was. Now I think they were just too poor to afford to give candy away, unlike the Peters' who gave out FULL SIZE Hershey bars.

• Love 8
(edited)
9 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

We had one lady, before all the alarms went out about strangers, that would invite us in & make FRESH popcorn while we waited! Another house set up their living room like a spook house. Gee, the 50s were fun...until you got to the Nesselrods house. You'd walk up the sidewalk giggling with your friends and BOOM! the lights in the house turned off. Never answered their door. We always wondered what their problem was. Now I think they were just too poor to afford to give candy away, unlike the Peters' who gave out FULL SIZE Hershey bars.

As a kid I'd do a haunted house every year before Halloween (but charge admission), until the parents of the younger kids complained because I was scaring their little kids.

The non-treat givers got a trick in my neighborhood.

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • Love 4

They'd also hand out badly homemade popcorn balls.

Oh, I loved those. My mom's BFF who lived up the street used to hand those out. All the kids in the neighborhood looked forward to them. She made them with melted marshmallows.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I remember an elderly lady in my neighborhood who handed out freshly-made caramel apples. One year I disassembled my Grim Reaper costume into a hooded coat + scythe and a skull mask + white turtleneck so I could have two runs at her house.

• LOL 7
  • Love 2

Where I grew up, there weren't a lot of houses that gave out candy, so I used to go to my step-grandmother's.  There was a woman there that gave homemade cookies.

1) They disintegrated in the bag with everything else.

2) They tasted disgusting.

But she was a very nice little old lady so we took the cookies to make her feel good.

I remember we would roam far and wide until pretty late, filling up two pillowcases full of goodies. 

When we bought our house, I was stoked for Halloween.  Never mind that there were no sidewalks on our road and cars tended to go fast on the flat part, once they came down the hill.  I bought tons of candy and waited at the beginning of my (long) driveway.  After an hour, not one kid showed up.  As I was the only house on my side of the street, I ran across the street to the neighbor's and asked them if they got any kids.  The guy lifted his eyebrows at me and said "Would you let your kid walk on this street in the dark?"   

So we took my kids to my in-laws and they went out with their cousins.  It was now a timed affair and they were lucky to fill half a pillowcase.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Wow. I hesitate to admit this, seeing as I would be in the minority.

I loved Jello as a kid and it was one of the things I could eat and not be sick when I was undergoing chemo.

I’ll just see myself out.

I’m fully grown, and I like jello. Sometimes I even make it with fruit cocktail. It’s so good with a big pile of whipped cream. 🥰

• Love 6
On 7/8/2021 at 8:39 AM, icemiser69 said:

I think it was spoken here before about Shingles (not the roofing kind).

I had my first Shingles shot yesterday, and I was wondering for those who also have had the shots, did you have any symptoms/issues of any kind after having the first shot?

So far, all I have is a sore arm, that is it.  Plus the band-aid wouldn't stay on, which was annoying.

I’ve had one shingles shot, and I had worse symptoms than I did with the COVID vaccine. My arm was sore and swollen for several days. I hope the second shot isn’t worse. 🥺

• Love 3