Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

It was insane being at that game. It was insane being a Giants fan at that game. What a pitcher's duel and as a Mets ally, I do feel terrible for Noah. It's just insane. And I can't believe I was there to watch Madison Bumgarner do that AGAIN. Again! I knew today could have gone either way and I was afraid to look ahead to possibly facing the Cubs but now that they definitely are, bring it on. This team in October, I just don't know, man.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Maximum Taco said:

Maybe I'm missing something here but the Yankees were 84-78 this year.

Sniff sniff.  Wow you smell that BURNNNNNNNNNNNN!??!?!??!?!

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

I always thought I hated them but I realized it's Panda I could not stand.

Thanks for the continued trolling of a certain fanbase.  GO PAPI! GO RED SOX!

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Maximum Taco said:

Maybe I'm missing something here but the Yankees were 84-78 this year.

If they had been 89-73 they would've tied the Jays and O's and created a 3 way wildcard tie.

Ahahahaha I was looking at the O's record, not the Yanks.  You would think the big orange bird over the record would have tipped me off.

Whatever the Mets played one more game but still lost and also I'm a bitter loser.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, rippleintime17 said:

It was insane being at that game. It was insane being a Giants fan at that game. What a pitcher's duel and as a Mets ally, I do feel terrible for Noah. It's just insane. And I can't believe I was there to watch Madison Bumgarner do that AGAIN. Again! I knew today could have gone either way and I was afraid to look ahead to possibly facing the Cubs but now that they definitely are, bring it on. This team in October, I just don't know, man.

As a Mets fan congrats! I also felt so bad for Noah he had the game of his life and just looked crushed at the end. Just remember the Cubs are cursed so that gives the Giants an advantage. By the way Bumgarner is not human and I mean that in the best way possible he is a beast!

Edited by choclatechip45
53 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Familia is a dependable reliever during the regular season. I can't see the Mets dealing him. Whom would they get to replace him?

The problem is he lets too many guys on base. There were a lot of close calls this year.  I think Reed could replace him. When Reed's contract is up a team will give him a lot of money to be the their closer. If all the starters are healthy which is a big if and if the doctors say it's okay I could see them trying out Matz as a closer. Matz runs out of gas easily and gets injured a lot. That is why Meija was the closer for the Mets he was injured a lot and didn't have the endurance to be a starter. 

Edited by choclatechip45
11 hours ago, mojoween said:

I'm surprised that I'm kind of rooting for the Giants because I always thought I hated them but I realized it's Panda I could not stand.

Panda.

Panda panda panda panda panda panda.

(Desiigner reference)

• Love 1

My office is closing today at noon ET and will remain closed tomorrow as we're supposed to get a direct hit from Hurricane Matthew, a category 4 storm.  Shit's gonna start getting real around 5:00PM today and I'm anticipating a loss of power so I hope both of tonight's baseball games are good ones.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

My office is closing today at noon ET and will remain closed tomorrow as we're supposed to get a direct hit from Hurricane Matthew, a category 4 storm.  Shit's gonna start getting real around 5:00PM today and I'm anticipating a loss of power so I hope both of tonight's baseball games are good ones.

Same here...except that I report to Florida but live in Syracuse.  I am freaking out on my coworkers behalf.  I'm still rooting for Matthew to take a swing to the east.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

Hope you're safet, Myaim.

Hurricane Matthew is so pissed off abt HB2 that he's decided not to come to NC.  (Heard that one on the radio this morning.

Me, I'm bummed, because I have yet to experience one.

ETA:  Go Tribe!

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 1

I really hate having to look up where TBS is on my channel lineup whenever they carry baseball or NCAA basketball. 

I don't care how hard they try. They aren't a sports channel.

• Love 3

I know where TBS is on my channel lineup because they show Seinfeld reruns but this is the problem with baseball as why are the playoffs relegated to such a secondary (or tertiary, even) network?  What about those without cable, how can they watch? 

A) Because TBS paid MLB a lot of money to use their product in order to get people like me to realize they exist

B) They are SOL (But that's not a baseball thing. Sports programming in general works on the assumption that anyone that matters has cable.)

Edited by xaxat

Cubs versus Giants:

On paper the Cubs have it, depth of pitching and good hitting.  I do think that this first game is key more for the Giants if Cueto can just clamp down like he's capable of doing.  It's just frustrating being a Giant fan this year because the offense really hasn't gotten going , and it's almost alway two steps forward and then 3 steps back and then half a step forward with them....

With the Cubs it boils down to just doing it, the expectations are huge on them as they haven't been to a World Series in over 60 years.  Hope it's a classic...

I officially do not really care about the post season now that Mets are done. And with O's out, I only care about the Cubs but doubt I will watch much of their series. 

Maybe some NBA Brooklyn Lin-sanity can interest me. Baseball is on a pseudo hiatus until Feb, which if you think about it isn't too far away. Once Christmas is done it's just a matter of about 6-8 weeks.

Go Yankees! 

Estrada is a postseason god. I have no idea how he continues to do it, I just hope he never stops. We are not worthy Marco.

Grabbed one in Texas, that's what we needed and now our 20 game winner takes the mound tomorrow, playing with house money.

Let's Go Blue Jays!

• Love 3
13 hours ago, mojoween said:

Wait a minute is this Andrew Miller our Andrew Miller?  I don't even recognize him.

I know! I usually disapprove of non-yankee facial hair non-grooming, but he's super cute now! (But not for nothing, I was listening to the MLBN guys talking about whether AM would be able to pitch again in the series, and it occurred to me to try that tack on my boss: Hey, I handled the problems of more than 40 customers yesterday, I really can't be back at work on short rest! Maybe I could if it were the playoffs, but regular season? I'm'a blow out my typing fingers!)

I would like the Indians to beat the team that rhymes with Dead Pox.

I am hereby admitting that I am enjoying the show Pitch so far (I get SDB's objections outlined elsewhere on this site, but I'm still liking it!), because I can still listen to Dick Enberg call games!

Here's my own wishes for the southern east-coasters to be safe and dry!

Edited by attica
  • Love 3

Happy to say I survived the hurricane and we got damn lucky when it didn't make a slight veer to the west as was expected.  I lost power for a bit earlier today but it's been restored so I was able to catch the end of the Jays/Rangers game and damn, I never expected to see the Jays up 2 - 0.

• Love 8

Liriano was taken to the hospital by ambulance. I really hope he's okay. The batter looked upset too, like no one really wants to see another player get hurt, or not most anyway.

That was the second most alarming hit I've seen, the first being the pitch that hit Josh Donaldson in the side of the face earlier this year. 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

Happy to say I survived the hurricane and we got damn lucky when it didn't make a slight veer to the west as was expected.  I lost power for a bit earlier today but it's been restored so I was able to catch the end of the Jays/Rangers game and damn, I never expected to see the Jays up 2 - 0.

Glad to hear you came through it without much trouble.  Watching the weather today, it sure looks ugly.

Haha, Rangers lost again.

It was kind of funny too, I was watching the game in the hotel lounge where I'm at (in Scotland) and somebody comes by and asks who's winning because I guess they assumed I was watching soccer? Because the next question once they got a look at my screen was, "What the hell are you watching?"

• Love 4

I feel like the fan in the stands with the "KKKKluber" sign perhaps should have rethought that.

The outfield at Jacobs Field or whatever it's called doesn't look very fun on TV.  There are no seats out there.

I've been to Jacobs Field (its name had already changed by the time I went, but I never bothered to learn it)! There is an outfield seating section, above left field. With bleacher seats. In the back, there was a guy pounding a bass drum. The crowd would clap along to his beat instead of engaging in chants.

Of course, this was when Sabathia pitched for the Indians, and Chien Ming Wang pitched for the Yankees. So it all could be different now.

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, smittykins said:

John Adams is still drumming at Progressive Field.

Good ol' John.  I miss the sound of that drumming. 

Go Price!  Can we have him pitch the next game, too?

Glad to hear you're safe Myaim.   They upped the rainfall totals here, with Extreme flooding (Raleigh), possible. 

52 minutes ago, attica said:

I've been to Jacobs Field (its name had already changed by the time I went, but I never bothered to learn it)! There is an outfield seating section, above left field. With bleacher seats. In the back, there was a guy pounding a bass drum. The crowd would clap along to his beat instead of engaging in chants.

It will always be The Jake.  None of this Progressive Field BS.

• Love 1

I don't really care who wins in the AL though it would be nice for Terry Francona,though I guess if he makes it to the world series I'll finally have to admit the problem was the Phillies  players and not him.

Edited by shoregirl

Been slammed with work and not really a chance to see games- Are the Red Sox up 2-0 against Cleveland now?  David Price, the $31 million dollar man, HAD to have pitched the game of his life today, right?

560f6e99bc517bf1eb62fb8153bd69f2cba8e1057f5231bcba9452564148925f.jpg

Edited by King of Birds
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

You say you don't want one, but I think we both know that's not true...

09drummer.2.190.jpg

See, I purposely didn't search to see that it looked like.  Thanks a lot... ;-)

• Love 2

And yet again the clock strikes midnight on David Price. Sorry (but not sorry) Red Sox, you spent 217 million on a pumpkin.

Well I'm happy again today, Blue Jays counter Hamels and Darvish with Estrada and Happ (not his best outing, but the W is why we love him), and now Sanchez is waiting back at the Skydome.

Let's Go Blue Jays! Let's end this on Sunday.

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 2

While watching the Boston vs Cleveland game I remembered last post- season David Price was pitching for the Blue Jays and he chose to sign with Boston because they offered much higher contract than the Blue Jays did.  BlueJays were so smart on that move and Boston was just dumb.

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, Artsda said:

While watching the Boston vs Cleveland game I remembered last post- season David Price was pitching for the Blue Jays and he chose to sign with Boston because they offered much higher contract than the Blue Jays did.  BlueJays were so smart on that move and Boston was just dumb.

Actually the Blue Jays didn't even make Price an offer. Instead they decided to sign J.A. Happ for 36 million over 3 years, and stretch Aaron Sanchez into a starter. This year Happ became only the 6th Blue Jay to win 20 games in a season, and today he collected the win against the Rangers. Sanchez finished with 190+ innings pitched and the lowest ERA in the AL (3.00) and will probably start Sunday at home with an opportunity to close out the series.

At the time almost every Blue Jays fan was questioning them on the decision to not even table an offer on Price and to replace him with Happ (who was seen as a fine 4th or 5th option, but had topped out at 12 wins prior to this year) and Sanchez (who had never pitched more then 92 innings over a season in his career.) Damn do they look like freaking geniuses now.

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 2

Congrats to the Cubs on taking advantage of one pitching mistake.  That was a masterful pitching performance by both starting pitchers.

And since I lived for 6.5 years in Northern Illinois, and work with a woman from there, too...Let's go Cubbies & Indians! 

16 hours ago, King of Birds said:

Been slammed with work and not really a chance to see games- Are the Red Sox up 2-0 against Cleveland now?  David Price, the $31 million dollar man, HAD to have pitched the game of his life today, right?

560f6e99bc517bf1eb62fb8153bd69f2cba8e1057f5231bcba9452564148925f.jpg

No Price didn't but Jon Lester did for the Cubs last night. I still hate that they didn't resign Lester but happy that he is winning with the Cubs with Theo. If the Sox don't wake up in these playoffs then I will root for Tito in the WS with the Cubs.

14 hours ago, Artsda said:

Unfortunately for any Red Sox fan you are right!

5 hours ago, roamyn said:

Congrats to the Cubs on taking advantage of one pitching mistake.  That was a masterful pitching performance by both starting pitchers.

And since I lived for 6.5 years in Northern Illinois, and work with a woman from there, too...Let's go Cubbies & Indians! 

And congrats to the cubs for having the ump call a ball a strike (when upon replay he did not swing) that would have resulted in a walk and could have been the scoring run in the 9th. 

Go Giants. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, MattDuffysCat said:

And congrats to the cubs for having the ump call a ball a strike (when upon replay he did not swing) that would have resulted in a walk and could have been the scoring run in the 9th.

Did they pull the old Jedi Mind Trick?  BTW, Nats-Dodgers game in DC has been rained out, rescheduled for Sunday 4pm Eastern.

2 hours ago, MattDuffysCat said:

Go Giants. 

Yeah, that was one call that should've been replayed.

Nonetheless, it was still masterful pitching by both teams.  The Giants just had bad luck in that call.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Moose135 said:

Did they pull the old Jedi Mind Trick?  BTW, Nats-Dodgers game in DC has been rained out, rescheduled for Sunday 4pm Eastern.

It's actually Sunday at 1pm Eastern.  Don't want anyone to tune in at 4 and be horribly disappointed.  Or incredibly relieved...

• Love 2