Type keyword(s) to search

Snack Foods: Sweet or Salty? What are your faves?

• Start Topic

My favorite sweet & salty munch is a well known recipe for what I call aliens because they look kind of like big-eyed faces:  scatter some mini twist pretzels salt side up on a cookie sheet.  Top each with an unwrapped Hershey Kiss.  Bake in a low oven until the chocolate gets a bit melt-y.  Top each with two M & Ms and press down to stick the Kiss to the pretzel.  Stick in the fridge to set.  Devour by the fistful.

• Love 1

My favorite sweet & salty munch is a well known recipe for what I call aliens because they look kind of like big-eyed faces:  scatter some mini twist pretzels salt side up on a cookie sheet.  Top each with an unwrapped Hershey Kiss.  Bake in a low oven until the chocolate gets a bit melt-y.  Top each with two M & Ms and press down to stick the Kiss to the pretzel.  Stick in the fridge to set.  Devour by the fistful.

That sounds amazing!

• Love 1

I do these at Christmas time, but don't bother with the M&Ms; I use the square pretzels and just sammich the melty kiss in between two of them.  Mmmmmm.  I've also seen people do them with Rolos, for kind of a turtle dealio.

But yes, unwrapping the candy is a PITA.  I let myself eat one for every 20 I unwrap :)

Yup, there are a million variations.  I like using the M & Ms because if you buy the red and green ones for half price after Christmas you can make red aliens for Valentine's Day and green ones for St. Patrick's Day.  The pastel ones you get (the day after) Easter are great for baby showers:  one pink and one blue per pretzel.

Lordy, I sound like Sandra Lee!

• Love 2

I think she did do the square pretzel and caramel variation on one of her episodes.

That said, I'm not sure how many nuts, marshmallows, chopped up candy bars, sprinkles and chipotle peppers she'd be able to balance on one pretzel.

• Love 4

There used to be an onion dip made out of Mrs. Grass's low sodium dried onion soup.  They don't make it anymore...just regular which is unfortunate cause the low sodium one was delicious.  Does anyone know of another low sodium dried onion soup?  I'm another salty snack lover and prefer it to sweets (altho' I wouldn't turn my nose up at cupcakes, cake, ice cream, etc).  I could eat a whole bag of lime taco chips and I wouldn't need anything to dip them in either.

My favorite snack is plain old Lays chips. My granddaughter calls them "yellow chips" and she and I can polish off a bag in one sitting.

I like both sweet and salty snacks, but not at the same time, that chesse/caramel popcorn combo sounds nasty to me.

I tried the Trader Joe's chip that is the equivalent of Lays and found them so much more enjoyable.  They seemed less greasy so  now I have to have them instead of Lays.  As an added bonus, they stand up very well to dip (my preferred brand:  Dean's French Onion).  I used to have to eat Ruffles in order to have dip (oh, the hardships!) but now I just use the TJ's.

On a related note, I tried the TJ's Ruffles equivalent and found it lacking.  Seemed too dense - not a fan of the kettle chips and to me it was encroaching on that territory.

My favorite snack is plain old Lays chips. My granddaughter calls them "yellow chips" and she and I can polish off a bag in one sitting.

I like both sweet and salty snacks, but not at the same time, that chesse/caramel popcorn combo sounds nasty to me.

Wholeheartedly agree on the Lays chips (see original psst in this thread). Best snack food on the planet.

However as I type this I'm chowing down on a bag of the nasty cheese/caramel popcorn combo. Love that too, go figure.

• Love 1

Wholeheartedly agree on the Lays chips (see original psst in this thread). Best snack food on the planet.

However as I type this I'm chowing down on a bag of the nasty cheese/caramel popcorn combo. Love that too, go figure.

Guess there's a reason they had a commercial that says you can't eat just one. :)

It's gotta be the original, Garrett's Chicago Mix popcorn. Accept no substitutes.  Although on a recent trip to Chicago, I was in a store and smelled something really awful, kind of a burnt smell.  I asked the staff what it was.  They said it was the Garrett's shop next door. I asked if perhaps they burnt a batch. They replied "No, that's how it smells, all day, every day."   It almost put me off the popcorn.  Almost.

• Love 1

I just made a special trip to Aldi just for their peanut butter stuffed pretzel nuggets.  Head and shoulders over other brands in my opinion.  I only discovered this because a guy I work with brought them in and shared.

Time to admit it: I like popcorn. Plain popcorn. No butter, no salt, no oil, no cheese, no nothing. I'll make a full sized batch of it in the old hot-air popper (which has been in my family for about 40 years), and go through the whole thing in an evening. I've also been known to eat dry instant rice or dry oatmeal as a snack.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

Time to admit it: I like popcorn. Plain popcorn. No butter, no salt, no oil, no cheese, no nothing. I'll make a full sized batch of it in the old hot-air popper (which has been in my family for about 40 years), and go through the whole thing in an evening. I've also been known to eat dry instant rice or dry oatmeal as a snack.

Ok, no offense, but Eeew.  Not so much the popcorn, but the rice and oatmeal.

• Love 1

what I've been into lately is MamaChia squeeze pouches

Mamma_Chia_Squeeze-Vitality_Snack.png

reminds me of a ridiculous thing (by other people's opinions) I used to do when I was a kid.

I loved dissolving raspberry preserve in water so I can eat watery and puffed up raspberry seeds lol

I enjoy both sweet and salty. 

I love buttery popcorn, anything cheesy (Cheez-its, Cheetos), pretzels.

My sweet tooth is probably worse. The question would probably be what do I NOT like as far as sugary snacks go. Doughnuts sound really good right now. 

I love both sweet and salty. Popcorn,kettle corn,olives, chips, triscuit is the only cracker i will eat as far as sweets go I love fruit pie and cobbler, nondairy ice cream, sour patch kids, worms.

7 hours ago, Nicmar said:

triscuit is the only cracker i will eat

Triscuit (the reduced fat version, since I can barely taste a difference from the original) is my favorite cracker, because it's just wheat, oil, and salt.  I love the simplicity and complete lack of sweetness; I can't stand Wheat Thins because of all the extra stuff, especially sugar.  Yet my second-favorite is Milton's "Everything" cracker, which has about 20 ingredients, including sugar.  Go figure.

Does anyone have a favorite electric popcorn popper?  Not a stovetop or microwave popper.  I had a hot air popper decades ago in my college dorm room and we used to make popcorn every night - probably could have filled an Olympic-sized pool over the course of a semester. I think it was a Presto Popcorn Pumper ( I know the “pumper” part is correct because we thought that was hilarious after a beer or 2. 🤷‍♀️)  I would like to get another popper, not necessarily hot air, to get away from the microwave bags.  Suggestions?  It doesn’t have to make a ton, it is just for me.

I'm a happy camper because I just picked up my special order Twiglets (favourite savoury snack) and I have an assortment of Lindt balls (one of many favourite sweet things) for that vital sweet finish.  Hmm, maybe I'll just skip the main course and go with starter and dessert.

PS:  Nothing to do with food, but I'm doubly happy because I just found my favourite neck gaiter/mask that had been missing for months.

Edited by Leeds
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, isalicat said:

My very favorite snack may sounds too "healthy" for most people but I love a crisp red delicious apple accompanied by a big hunk of jack cheese. That is all. One bite of one, one bite of another. Repeat!

I love cheese and apple as a "snack" (often more like a meal really!).  I'm in the Pacific Northwest and spoiled for choice when it comes to both apples and cheese.  Pears are likely to make an appearance too during the season.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Leeds said:

I love cheese and apple as a "snack" (often more like a meal really!).  I'm in the Pacific Northwest and spoiled for choice when it comes to both apples and cheese.  Pears are likely to make an appearance too during the season.

Oh yes! I like Emmenthaler with pears. I'm at the beach in central coastal California and we get a lot of pears, mostly of the standard green variety, but also the tan and brown ones (I don't know their proper names, sorry!) The main problem is that they are harvested before their time and they rarely soften up other than to turn into mush. Farmer's markets here don't really solve the issue because pears are just not grown around here (we are mostly a grape and cruciferous produce region - think cauliflower, lettuce, strawberries, and lots of wineries. Our oranges and tangerines come from due east or Mexico though there used to be vast orange orchards along the coast - now its all vineyards.

Anyways back to snacks! I've never found a cheese that goes with anything citrus. Any suggestions?

• Love 1
17 hours ago, isalicat said:

Oh yes! I like Emmenthaler with pears. I'm at the beach in central coastal California and we get a lot of pears, mostly of the standard green variety, but also the tan and brown ones (I don't know their proper names, sorry!) The main problem is that they are harvested before their time and they rarely soften up other than to turn into mush. Farmer's markets here don't really solve the issue because pears are just not grown around here (we are mostly a grape and cruciferous produce region - think cauliflower, lettuce, strawberries, and lots of wineries. Our oranges and tangerines come from due east or Mexico though there used to be vast orange orchards along the coast - now its all vineyards.

Anyways back to snacks! I've never found a cheese that goes with anything citrus. Any suggestions?

The pears sound like Bosc or D'Anjou maybe?

For cheese and citrus I'm scratching my head - something creamy and rich like Brie or maybe Stilton with a "mild" citrus like satsumas?

For cheese and citrus, here are some suggestions. I haven't tried them myself; I don't care for goat cheese, but may try oranges with Alpine or cheddar.

I will happily devour anything sweet, but I'm trying to cut back on sugar and carbs. One savory snack I've enjoyed that isn't chips or crackers is Whisps. It's crispy little wheels of toasted cheese. It tastes like the crispy edges of grilled cheese sandwiches or the browned cheese on top of a casserole.

One sweet snack I've indulged in is Harry and David's Moose Munch, caramelized popcorn and peanuts.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

For cheese and citrus, here are some suggestions. I haven't tried them myself; I don't care for goat cheese, but may try oranges with Alpine or cheddar.

I will happily devour anything sweet, but I'm trying to cut back on sugar and carbs. One savory snack I've enjoyed that isn't chips or crackers is Whisps. It's crispy little wheels of toasted cheese. It tastes like the crispy edges of grilled cheese sandwiches or the browned cheese on top of a casserole.

One sweet snack I've indulged in is Harry and David's Moose Munch, caramelized popcorn and peanuts.

Hmm, that makes me wonder about cranberry goat cheese (I think I’ve seen it at Trader Joe’s) and oranges or mandarins. 

I agree, Whisps and Moose Munch are both good. I received some Moose Munch from my manager as a holiday gift, and was so happy!

• Love 1

I have a package in front me of something called "Moon Cheese" which seem very similar to your Whisps - they are 100% cheese (all cheddar) and 1 gram carb per 10 chips. The main issue for me with these things (although I bet they are delicious - I haven't opened the package yet) is that for 10 little chips you are talking 350 mg. sodium. Two-three handfuls is enough sodium for me for the day and after that I swell up like a little toad. So I am still lacking in a non-carby snack that is not also loaded with salt (well, other than celery but how much celery can you eat without anything on or with it?).

I like my zesty pretzels, which I make myself. You take small pretzels you can find in the grocery store and put them in a baking pan. Add olive oil, a half a pack of ranch dressing mix, and shake on some cayenne pepper. Put in the oven a a low heat for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. These pretzels have a heat and kick to them and taste really good with a dill, ranch, or spinach dip. Zesty pretzels are one of my favorite snacks and I make them as gifts.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 12/20/2021 at 11:39 PM, isalicat said:

I have a package in front me of something called "Moon Cheese" which seem very similar to your Whisps - they are 100% cheese (all cheddar) and 1 gram carb per 10 chips. The main issue for me with these things (although I bet they are delicious - I haven't opened the package yet) is that for 10 little chips you are talking 350 mg. sodium. Two-three handfuls is enough sodium for me for the day and after that I swell up like a little toad. So I am still lacking in a non-carby snack that is not also loaded with salt (well, other than celery but how much celery can you eat without anything on or with it?).

Stay with me here.  Pork Rinds.  There are some great flavors being made right now as well.  Pretty high in protein, and lower than the sodium you stated above.  I find them a very satisfying substitute for potato chips if you are wanting to cut carbs.  I like Pork Clouds brand, but honestly, most brands are pretty good.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, larapu2000 said:

Stay with me here.  Pork Rinds.  There are some great flavors being made right now as well.  Pretty high in protein, and lower than the sodium you stated above.  I find them a very satisfying substitute for potato chips if you are wanting to cut carbs.  I like Pork Clouds brand, but honestly, most brands are pretty good.

I tried them, but found the ones I bought were very salty - and I love salt. I might give them another try, though. 

On 12/20/2021 at 10:39 PM, isalicat said:

all natural peanut butter with celery is good. It couldn't have that much sodium?

On 12/20/2021 at 6:39 PM, GreekGeek said:

You make your own crispy cheese snack by grating cheese on a parchment paper in little mounds and baking it.

• Love 1
On 1/3/2022 at 6:09 AM, larapu2000 said:

I like pork rinds alright, but the kind made with some fat attached (maybe it’s a Philippines variation?) is way more delicious to me than skin-only rinds.

but even those are like dust compared to good chicken chicharonnes, aka chicken cracklings. They don’t have nearly as long of a shelf life as pork rinds, so you’re best off buying from a vendor who makes them fresh and locally. Or I guess you could order some chicken skin in bulk via a butcher and make ‘em yourself.

that said, kettle-cooked potato chips are also good. And Snyder’s cheese flavoured pretzel pieces. And rye chips.

I don't like unsalted peanut butter and the salted kind unfortunately has too much salt for me (most almond butter is better balanced for my palate) but my new favorite snack is cream cheese with chives and onions mixed in (you can get this already prepared, obviously) on celery sticks. Not too much sodium, reasonably crunchy and doesn't fill you up too much (so its not like having a real meal).

• Useful 1
On 1/17/2022 at 2:40 AM, arc said:

that said, kettle-cooked potato chips are also good. And Snyder’s cheese flavoured pretzel pieces. And rye chips.

I am personally partial to the Dot's Southwest pretzel sticks.  Pretty sure the seasoning includes some kind of addictive substance.