Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
mansonlamps

Snack Foods: Sweet or Salty? What are your faves?

My favorite sweet & salty munch is a well known recipe for what I call aliens because they look kind of like big-eyed faces:  scatter some mini twist pretzels salt side up on a cookie sheet.  Top each with an unwrapped Hershey Kiss.  Bake in a low oven until the chocolate gets a bit melt-y.  Top each with two M & Ms and press down to stick the Kiss to the pretzel.  Stick in the fridge to set.  Devour by the fistful.

• Like 1

My favorite sweet & salty munch is a well known recipe for what I call aliens because they look kind of like big-eyed faces:  scatter some mini twist pretzels salt side up on a cookie sheet.  Top each with an unwrapped Hershey Kiss.  Bake in a low oven until the chocolate gets a bit melt-y.  Top each with two M & Ms and press down to stick the Kiss to the pretzel.  Stick in the fridge to set.  Devour by the fistful.

That sounds amazing!

• Like 1

I do these at Christmas time, but don't bother with the M&Ms; I use the square pretzels and just sammich the melty kiss in between two of them.  Mmmmmm.  I've also seen people do them with Rolos, for kind of a turtle dealio.

But yes, unwrapping the candy is a PITA.  I let myself eat one for every 20 I unwrap :)

Yup, there are a million variations.  I like using the M & Ms because if you buy the red and green ones for half price after Christmas you can make red aliens for Valentine's Day and green ones for St. Patrick's Day.  The pastel ones you get (the day after) Easter are great for baby showers:  one pink and one blue per pretzel.

Lordy, I sound like Sandra Lee!

• Like 2

I think she did do the square pretzel and caramel variation on one of her episodes.

That said, I'm not sure how many nuts, marshmallows, chopped up candy bars, sprinkles and chipotle peppers she'd be able to balance on one pretzel.

• Like 4

There used to be an onion dip made out of Mrs. Grass's low sodium dried onion soup.  They don't make it anymore...just regular which is unfortunate cause the low sodium one was delicious.  Does anyone know of another low sodium dried onion soup?  I'm another salty snack lover and prefer it to sweets (altho' I wouldn't turn my nose up at cupcakes, cake, ice cream, etc).  I could eat a whole bag of lime taco chips and I wouldn't need anything to dip them in either.

My favorite snack is plain old Lays chips. My granddaughter calls them "yellow chips" and she and I can polish off a bag in one sitting.

I like both sweet and salty snacks, but not at the same time, that chesse/caramel popcorn combo sounds nasty to me.

I tried the Trader Joe's chip that is the equivalent of Lays and found them so much more enjoyable.  They seemed less greasy so  now I have to have them instead of Lays.  As an added bonus, they stand up very well to dip (my preferred brand:  Dean's French Onion).  I used to have to eat Ruffles in order to have dip (oh, the hardships!) but now I just use the TJ's.

On a related note, I tried the TJ's Ruffles equivalent and found it lacking.  Seemed too dense - not a fan of the kettle chips and to me it was encroaching on that territory.

My favorite snack is plain old Lays chips. My granddaughter calls them "yellow chips" and she and I can polish off a bag in one sitting.

I like both sweet and salty snacks, but not at the same time, that chesse/caramel popcorn combo sounds nasty to me.

Wholeheartedly agree on the Lays chips (see original psst in this thread). Best snack food on the planet.

However as I type this I'm chowing down on a bag of the nasty cheese/caramel popcorn combo. Love that too, go figure.

Wholeheartedly agree on the Lays chips (see original psst in this thread). Best snack food on the planet.

However as I type this I'm chowing down on a bag of the nasty cheese/caramel popcorn combo. Love that too, go figure.

Guess there's a reason they had a commercial that says you can't eat just one. :)

It's gotta be the original, Garrett's Chicago Mix popcorn. Accept no substitutes.  Although on a recent trip to Chicago, I was in a store and smelled something really awful, kind of a burnt smell.  I asked the staff what it was.  They said it was the Garrett's shop next door. I asked if perhaps they burnt a batch. They replied "No, that's how it smells, all day, every day."   It almost put me off the popcorn.  Almost.

• Like 1

I just made a special trip to Aldi just for their peanut butter stuffed pretzel nuggets.  Head and shoulders over other brands in my opinion.  I only discovered this because a guy I work with brought them in and shared.

Yum, those look great.  They also have peanut butter M&M's now, they are really good.  Or maybe they've always had them and I just discovered them.  Either way, I'm liking them a lot.

Damn, the winner of the latest Choose the New M & M Flavour is Coffee Nut.  Honey Nut was so much better. 

Time to admit it: I like popcorn. Plain popcorn. No butter, no salt, no oil, no cheese, no nothing. I'll make a full sized batch of it in the old hot-air popper (which has been in my family for about 40 years), and go through the whole thing in an evening. I've also been known to eat dry instant rice or dry oatmeal as a snack.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

Time to admit it: I like popcorn. Plain popcorn. No butter, no salt, no oil, no cheese, no nothing. I'll make a full sized batch of it in the old hot-air popper (which has been in my family for about 40 years), and go through the whole thing in an evening. I've also been known to eat dry instant rice or dry oatmeal as a snack.

Ok, no offense, but Eeew.  Not so much the popcorn, but the rice and oatmeal.

• Like 1

what I've been into lately is MamaChia squeeze pouches

Mamma_Chia_Squeeze-Vitality_Snack.png

reminds me of a ridiculous thing (by other people's opinions) I used to do when I was a kid.

I loved dissolving raspberry preserve in water so I can eat watery and puffed up raspberry seeds lol

I enjoy both sweet and salty. 

I love buttery popcorn, anything cheesy (Cheez-its, Cheetos), pretzels.

My sweet tooth is probably worse. The question would probably be what do I NOT like as far as sugary snacks go. Doughnuts sound really good right now. 

I love both sweet and salty. Popcorn,kettle corn,olives, chips, triscuit is the only cracker i will eat as far as sweets go I love fruit pie and cobbler, nondairy ice cream, sour patch kids, worms.

7 hours ago, Nicmar said:

triscuit is the only cracker i will eat

Triscuit (the reduced fat version, since I can barely taste a difference from the original) is my favorite cracker, because it's just wheat, oil, and salt.  I love the simplicity and complete lack of sweetness; I can't stand Wheat Thins because of all the extra stuff, especially sugar.  Yet my second-favorite is Milton's "Everything" cracker, which has about 20 ingredients, including sugar.  Go figure.