Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E21: The End Of The Beginning

I didn't notice, but other people are saying that Mariana wasn't wearing her seatbelt. I will be so upset if she or Jesus is dead. Did anyone else hear liquid (possibly gas) dripping from the car? Is it going to explode?

Talk about sooooooooo unprofessional from Monte and Lena for drinking in the office and Monte for initiating the kiss. I hate this plot.

I'm glad that things with Jude and Connor have worked out.

I'm glad that Robert dropped his lawsuit so that Callie can be adopted.

Ugh, now we have to wait (seemingly) forever for Season 3!

• Love 1

I assume the fatality is the person in the other car. I just don't see them killing off a main character. Maybe Ana loses the baby. 

I liked how Callie's shirt blended right in with the cushions on Robert's couch. Subtle way of making it look like she fit into the location.

Loved Jude snuggling with Connor in the hospital bed, but I don't buy that Connor's dad did a change of heart right then that quickly.

I was just wondering a couple of weeks ago why Jude never paints his nails any more. 

Glad that Brandon came to his senses, although I wish we would have seen it. I hope that he realized that Lou was just pretending to like him so that he could get them the record contract, because that's sure what it looked like. 

Glad that things aren't messed up between Callie and Robert, too. I was afraid that he'd hate her after the emancipation thing. Hilarious that his dad was Bobby Ewing. 

I'm going to guess it's either Jesus or the other driver. I can't see them having another baby die so soon after Frankie. 

It's going to be the series finale before poor Callie gets adopted. While I very glad she's staying with the Fosters, I'd like to see her relationship with bio dad and his family develop. Mostly because MM and BM are dead ringers for one another.

• Love 1

I laughed out loud at Callie's line "I don't want to jinx anything" both because of the preview and just because it's TV, what else would happen after a line like that.

I say it's Jesus; they were pretty much writing him out anyway.

• Love 3

Long, rambly thoughts on this episode:

- Mariana and the dance team: go, girl! As they say, necessity is the mother of invention, and she and Emma killed it!

- Jude and Connor: I love them so much! Loved Jude demanding to see Connor, loved the moment with Lena and Jude in the hallway, loved Lena's talk with Connor's dad, and last but not least, Jude and Connor all snuggled up in bed together is quite possibly the sweetest thing I've ever seen in my life. I think my heart actually burst when Connor took Jude's hand and commented on his nail polish. =)

- Brandon: So incredibly glad he didn't miss his tryout because of Lou. I hope he gets it.

- Robert/Callie: As happy as I am that the custody battle is over, this felt more bittersweet than anything else. I hope Robert sticks around and that Stef doesn't get in the way of Callie letting him be her dad in whatever capacity she wants him to act the part. Having a third parent around (even if he has no legal rights anymore) to look out for her can't possibly be a bad thing. He's a decent, standup guy, and I really like him. Ditto for his wife. I'm really impressed with the way she's handled this whole thing.

- Ana: I feel guilty about this, but I really don't care about her or the baby.

- Monte: My Monte love was still in full swing until I started to get the idea that she's been listening to Lena all this time just to get in her pants, and that makes me mad. You don't go around trying to kiss married women! Especially married women who are hurting and confused and just needing someone to talk to. I feel like Monte is taking advantage of her. Ugh. Poor Lena. Lately I just want to hug her every time she's on screen.

- The preview: If Mariana's dead, I'm going to flip out. Otherwise, I don't mind a casualty or two.

• Love 4

Has anyone seen the TV Line article about the finale? I don't wanna link because the link text is spoilery but I hope it's not what it seems in regards to who the confirmed fatality is. That would be too much, even for this show.

- Monte: My Monte love was still in full swing until I started to get the idea that she's been listening to Lena all this time just to get in her pants, and that makes me mad.

I agree with you on the Monte love, although I never got the vibe that she's been trying to get into Lena's pants and that's the only reason she's been getting friendly with her. She didn't make any inappropriate moves or comments until this episode and I buy that she just really liked Lena (as a person, not in a romantic way) from the very beginning, and things just developed from there. She said she'd just moved to San Diego and was still making friends, so I buy that, at first, that's what she found in Lena. Also, she did go to dinner at their house and seemed to be happy for Lena for having such a wonderful family, which IMO doesn't jive with someone who actively wants to get involved with a married woman. 

I was hoping that wasn't where the boarding school storyline was headed, but does anyone know why the actor would want to leave? I'm super averse to change, especially in a show with such a distinct and enjoyable family dynamic as this one, so if he leaves it's gonna upset the status quo and it's gonna seriously bug me.

Edited by Niuxita
  • Love 1

I'm not going to jump to any conclusions yet, I mean in this very episode they set it up to have Jesus potentially leave the show by going off to school. It seems a bit weird to me why they would bother doing that if they knew they were just going to kill him off in the very same episode.

I'm not saying there's no way Jesus was killed in the crash, it's very much a possibility at this point. However I just think there's also another very reasonable explanation for why the actor was leaving that isn't Jesus dying.

Edited by MoonWalker
  • Love 1

I watched the interview linked in the media thread, where Peter Paige begged viewers to trust them, and promised they won't let us down, etc. So I am counting on them not killing Mariana. Maybe they will injure her as a PSA for seatbelts. That said, I really don't know if they know what I personally want, I mean, it's a lot to ask of the producers to think they can't disappoint any of their viewers. He mostly seemed to be talking about Stef and Lena's relationship anyway, though he did make reference to the car accident. Anyway, I am ALL FOR Jesus going to boarding school. I kind of hope they give acting lessons there, too. They have been writing him with some redeeming qualities in the past couple of episodes, so I'm fine with them bringing him back after a stint at boarding school/acting lessons. I don't want them to kill him off. It's too much to put Lena through losing a second kid, not to mention what it would do to everyone else. Not really into them killing Ana right now, either. I think there is good story potential with keeping her around, at least as a recurring if not a regular. So basically I want the fatality to be the anonymous driver who hit them. Anything else is too much.

Love: everything Mariana, Jude/Connor (though I agree his dad gave in unrealistically soon, but there's enough pain in the world so I can accept it). I actually love that Callie/Robert ended the way it did, too. Liked Jesus and Mariana working together and him standing up to her a little bit, expressing himself and not letting her off the hook for seeing all sides. And good on Brandon for good decision-making. I don't particularly like Lou (she's kind of boring to me), but even if I did, he really needed to go to that audition. Liked the Gutierrez grandparents doing things in the open, not trying to hide or be adversarial about anything, and not doing it because of a stupid reason like anti-twomoms or something like that. So much to like this week!

Hate: Monty. She just said last episode that she couldn't get involved with a subordinate, and poof! Now she's making a move on a married, vulnerable subordinate who trusted her! Icky. Weak. Creepy.

How long is the break before summer episodes start?

Also, has anyone noticed that the three main producers all have double initials (Peter Paige=PP, Bradley Bredeweg=BB, Joanna Johnson =JJ) and that combined they amount to PB&J? I don't know why it amuses me so much, but I like thinking of the team as peanut butter and jelly.

ETA: Pregnancy is not nearly as dangerous as TV likes to make it seem. And very few women have one contraction and then the baby is born before they can have a couple more. It's insane how many TV shows have women giving birth faster than the average sneeze, and in emergency conditions. Hopefully, Ana is just having indigestion.

Relationships are full of dramatic potential, so I have no fear that Jude/Connor can't have more story now that they're official. Besides all the drama that might swirl around them for being out, there's the drama internally, all the things they might do together-- Mariana and Brandon and Callie and Jesus  have all had dating storylines, so Jude and Connor can be the same. And they have a lot fewer models to follow, so in some ways have more potential things to figure out. Just like Callie's story won't end once she's adopted, I think Jude-Connor can go through lots more stuff even if their biggest obstacle is resolved.

I think the dispatcher can know there's a fatality because whoever called in the accident may have known, and reported it.

Holy shit. I just read the TV Line article. So they did kill Jesus? Wow.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 2

I agree with you on the Monte love, although I never got the vibe that she's been trying to get into Lena's pants and that's the only reason she's been getting friendly with her. She didn't make any inappropriate moves or comments until this episode and I buy that she just really liked Lena (as a person, not in a romantic way) from the very beginning, and things just developed from there. She said she'd just moved to San Diego and was still making friends, so I buy that, at first, that's what she found in Lena. Also, she did go to dinner at their house and seemed to be happy for Lena for having such a wonderful family, which IMO doesn't jive with someone who actively wants to get involved with a married woman. 

Lol, I think I said that wrong. I absolutely agree that Monte genuinely likes Lena as a person. I think she gradually fell for her as she got to know her better and spent more time with her, and it all took off from there. However, she annoyed me when she called Lena beautiful (even though...well, duh...a girl would have to be blind not to notice that) and then chose the moment when Lena needed genuine comfort to try to kiss her. I mean, really? This woman is your friend and you know she's married and she's dealing with a lot of stuff at the moment and that's when you get selfish and think about yourself? I don't know, it just felt....scummy.....and it sort of cheapened their (until that moment) awesome friendship for me. I hope she apologizes and everything goes back to normal between them.

Of course, there is the possibility that I'm completely overreacting to one kiss. The fangirl in me is a little protective of Lena. =)

Has anyone seen the TV Line article about the finale? I don't wanna link because the link text is spoilery but I hope it's not what it seems in regards to who the confirmed fatality is. That would be too much, even for this show.

Yeah, that was exactly what I thought when I read that article. My own feelings about the character aside, I think that would be over the top too. There's just too much other stuff going on right now for that kind of storyline to be done any kind of justice, and I think all of the characters have been through enough emotional upheaval.

• Love 2

I was hoping that wasn't where the boarding school storyline was headed, but does anyone know why the actor would want to leave? I'm super averse to change, especially in a show with such a distinct and enjoyable family dynamic as this one, so if he leaves it's gonna upset the status quo and it's gonna seriously bug me.

He apparently wants to go back to school. It could also be tied in to his legal troubles. I really don't think Jesus is dead, though. If anyone died in that car, it's going to be Ana. I don't quite know how since Jesus definitely got the most impact, but I don't see them killing off any of the kids. That's just a little bit too dark. 

• Love 2

Seriously, I am 100% behind Jesus going to boarding school, only being mentioned in passing until the series finale, where we learn he's all grown up and awesome.   

I am 100% against Jesus dying and all of next season everybody being sad and depressed because their brother/son died.   That's just not a tone I want for this show. 

Also if that was Jesus's last episode I would have been more excited for him to have one final scene with Brandon or his moms rather than Anna.   

Jude and Conner are my OTP.   I squeed.    

• Love 6

I just thought of this: I would have liked more of Callie's reaction to Jude announcing Connor is his boyfriend now. I felt like they just packed it all in so they had some sort of resolution before the end of the season, but it would have probably been more interesting to wait until next season for Jude to tell her, just to give her reaction the weight I feel it deserves (I wouldn't be opposed to her not being comfortable with it at first, not because of any internalized homophobia but because she feels so protective of Jude that she doesn't want the world to bring him down for being different. We already got a glimpse of that when she saw Jude had painted his nails to go to school in season 1, and I found her lack of comfort with that side of Jude really interesting in terms of the reasons behind it, and I'd hoped to see more of those complicated feelings after he and Connor became official or Jude came out. Oh well).

• Love 3

- "You look upset, or as upset as someone as beautiful as you could be!" Oh, you are parched, Monte. So it's inappropriate to date a subordinate but it's totally cool to bring a bottle of wine onto school premises and get tipsy? I actually liked Monte, and I liked her as Lena's friend, but that's not a cute look, going after someone who's not only married but clearly vulnerable. At least Lena pulled away but it happened and I doubt it'll be swept under the rug.

- I don't believe that Connor's dad would have changed his mind about letting Jude see Connor. I mean, yes, a crying Jude is very persuasive but this guy was guarding the door and talking about pulling Connor from school. Did Lena and Adam talk more, and then he thawed out? I hate when it feels like progress is made off-screen, especially with Jude and his stories. Nice callback to the blue nail polish, though it's been so long since Jude's worn it that it felt a bit cheesy.

- Can't even hate, I thought both dance routines were freakin' awesome. And now I get what Mariana meant by Emma getting to dance and show off her smarts. This friendship is very good, keep it going! And by the way, I don't know why Jesus took credit for Mariana coming up with that idea, she'd already had the lighting and coding plan in progress before she got hurt.

- I didn't feel much of anything for Brandon and Lou but holy heck, was she trying to manipulate him. As soon as the band might get a contract, she's all, "I love you" and let's make out (so you miss your audition). Wow... girl, bye.

- Pleasantly surprised and relieved that Stef and Robert had nothing to do with the accident... there was so much good stuff with the Quinns, and then when Stef got called to the judge's chambers, I was so worried one or both would crash on the way there. I loved the nighttime scene between Robert and Callie, so glad she was able to tell him she loved him and that he would be in her life no matter what.

And I'm so glad this is finally resolved (though I bet Callie still won't get adopted, something else will pop up, lol). However, and I know this won't happen, but I think Stef owes Robert a huge apology. Having a third parent involved can be messy, and Stef and Lena don't seem to take to it well (they were both annoyed with Ana sharing stories about when the twins were young, even though that's beneficial for them), but I hope they can mend the fissure Stef created. Robert's a good guy, and Callie could use all the goodness and love she can get.

- As soon as Ana drove into the intersection and suddenly the background of Jesus' shot was green-screen, I was like, "fuuuu". LOL. Just based on the scene, Mariana should be the casualty, as she didn't seem to be in a seatbelt, but that would be devastating. No, I won't entertain that idea.

Normally, I'd think this would end up being a fakeout, much like Connor getting shot in the foot, but

based on Jake T. Austin's goodbye tweets, it seems Jesus is a goner. I would have thought he was under contract but maybe he doesn't care about revealing it. If Jesus is the casualty, I'm wondering if they came up with the boarding school idea to get us ready for losing him for good. I think Jake is a terrible actor but I sure as heck didn't want his character killed off. I was cool with the acting, er... boarding school idea. Losing Jesus so soon after losing Frankie... geez. I feel like that would drag the show down, everyone being devastated over his death.

• Love 2

It did seem like Callie didn't get much reaction time to Jude's announcement. They could have had her smile and look happy for him, though, and she didn't. So maybe we will get some more drama out of that this summer.

I suppose Jesus could go to boarding school and someone else could be dead. Jake's tweets don't say his character is dead, only that he himself is done with the show.

For whoever missed tonight's airing, ABCFamily re-airs the episode tomorrow night (Tues) at 9pm Eastern.

Edited by possibilities

I laughed out loud at Callie's line "I don't want to jinx anything" both because of the preview and just because it's TV, what else would happen after a line like that.

My money is on Jesus dying. Isn't the actor supposed to be a bit of a jerk in real life? I agree they were writing him out with the boarding school storyline anyway.

Jude and Connor broke my heart, but I was kinda glad to see the return of Jude's nail polish.

Shut up Monte! I've hated her character from the beginning, perhaps a bit irrationally, but damn she is manipulative and unprofessional.

Loved Jude and his "war paint" and Connor's look of happiness when Jude walked in to his hospital room.

I hope we get more Robert in the future. I really enjoyed the conversation that he and Callie had outside on his deck. Well done.

Oh and I just rewatched the end - Marianna was definitely wearing her seatbelt until she moved forward to talk to Ana about going to the hospital.

Edited by Kat

I just can't see them killing off either of the kids. That would so overwhelm any other storylines, if they were at all realistic about it, that there wouldn't really be any show left. Ana, sure. Fakeout and it's the driver we've never met before, sure. But one of the kids? I hope they don't go there, because if they did, I don't see any way they could carry on all of the storylines in a believable way that still makes us want to watch it.

I'm disappointed how the whole Callie/Jude relationship has been dropped. I know she'd back off some since she knows he's with good parents, but she was basically his mom for what, four years? That doesn't just go away. That should have been a bigger part of her conversations with Robert, that she couldn't handle being separated from him, and it would have been nice to see something of the two of them now and then.They've only had one good scene together all season, when they were camping. 

• Love 3

They did have that scene where Callie was being all parental with Jude and saying he'd never snuck out before and maybe it's for the best that he and Connor don't see each other anymore-- and Jude yelled at her to shut up and stop telling him what to do. He has really come into his own under the parenting of Lena and Stef, and I would like to see them show Callie and Jude being close in a different way now that he's no longer tolerating her as an authority figure. I agree they haven't featured that relationship as much as they did before, probably because they have too many stories going on at once and Jude's screen time seems to be severely rationed, and they've been devoting it to his relationship with Connor.

• Love 2

Argh! I missed the first five minutes (which: given everything else that happened, might not be that important).  I'll have to try and catch the re-run.

I don't know what the timing was between this episode getting written/the show getting picked up for a third season, but it seemed to me that they wrapped up a bunch of story lines (Mariana's dance team wins! Brandon goes to the Idlewild audition! Jesus gets to go to boarding school! the grandparents are reunited with Ana! Connor and Jude triumph over Connor's dad's prejudice*! Callie resolves her issue with Robert!) in case that was it and then they threw in a couple of wrenches (Monte and Lena, the accident, Callie's reaction to Jude) so that they'd have cliffhangers for the next season.

Anyone know when the summer season starts?

*And I agree with all of you that that was a bit too quick, unless we're chalking it up to The Inherent Power of Lena.

• Love 1

This was a great ending to the season. I am so glad that Callie will finally be able to be adopted without any hurdles because of Robert. He always rubbed me the wrong way. He’s manipulative.

Monte kissing Lena? She’s a serious creeper. Stef and Lena do not need another wife. Go away.

The Jonnor situation broke my heart. So, Connor’s Dad doesn’t want to have a gay son? Get over it. You do. Embrace the kid for who he is.

I wonder if Ana’s baby is going to die. I hope not. She’s so wanted by Stef and Lena.  Can’t wait for next season.

I think we'll have a time jump at the start of the next season.  They'll talk about Jesus being "gone" for awhile, but after a few beats it'll become clear that he went to boarding school and not to the Great Beyond.  I agree that killing one of the kids would completely destroy all the other storylines that are going on.  I'm confident that the writers wouldn't do that, because it just wouldn't be smart.

• Love 2

I think we'll have a time jump at the start of the next season.  They'll talk about Jesus being "gone" for awhile, but after a few beats it'll become clear that he went to boarding school and not to the Great Beyond.  I agree that killing one of the kids would completely destroy all the other storylines that are going on.  I'm confident that the writers wouldn't do that, because it just wouldn't be smart.

I also think there will be a time jump. I think that Jesus will be off to boarding school. The show wouldn't kill another of Stef and Lena's children after Frankie. If the fatality is not the other driver or some other red shirt, I think it will be Ana, who has been redeemed and has now served her purpose on the show. While I would prefer for Ana to stick around, her death would propel a lot of possible storylines - especially if the baby survives.

• Love 2
I think the fatality is the other driver, Jesus will go to boarding school and Mariana will be paralyzed so no more dance team. I think Ana and the baby will end up with her parents.

I like this idea, and i agree it's way smarter than killing Jesus (or even Ana-- the combination of grief and guilt that would ensue would eat the show), and either glossing over the loss or making the show revolve around it. But I think they could adapt the dance team to include Mariana. I've seen performances by Axis Dance Troupe in CA (I don't know if they're still active, but they were -- maybe still are-- a group that includes both AB and disabled dancers and they are very athletic). The harder task would be making the Adams-Foster house accessible-- honestly, they'd be much better off moving, as it would be damn near impossible and probably cost more to modify even partially, than buying something else entirely. Disability is one issue the show hasn't hit on yet, though, and I don't know if they have the will or expertise to do it well. Would be awesome if they did. But it would break my heart if they tried and did a crappy job. We can't afford any more misrepresentation of disabled people and our issues... we just can't.

Was this episode supposed to take place on a weekend? I was confused by that-- Callie is visiting Robert, and Jude slept late, so that seems like a weekend. But there was an event at the school, and Lena and Monty were both at school looking like they were doing admin stuff, and Stef was also working. Maybe Stef works weekends, but does school hold events and do the VP and principal check in at the office? I don't know why it matters, but I kept wondering about it all episode.

RE when the show comes back, I've read speculation that it will be in June, but I haven't seen anything firm.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 1

We had school events on the weekend and when at school on the weekend for various events you would often see an admin catching up on paperwork, but they were never in school clothes.  They were dressed like real people.  I always found it disconcerting.   

Wait, at the stop sign did they stop or did they do one of those rolling/jerking non-stop stops? Because if they didn't actually stop, that means that scene from last week counts as foreshadowing.

YOU ALWAYS STOP, MARIANA.

This is so shallow, especially with all that happened, but I think this is the best that Kerr Smith has ever looked. Keep the grey hair, man, you're giving me some Taylor Kinney looks/vibes.

Monte lost me when she was talking about how a miscarriage could be a way of showing that a marriage is not in a good enough place for a baby. Like she was feeling Lena out by using Frankie.

• Love 8

Wait, at the stop sign did they stop or did they do one of those rolling/jerking non-stop stops? Because if they didn't actually stop, that means that scene from last week counts as foreshadowing.

YOU ALWAYS STOP, MARIANA.

I think they were at a light. It looked like they had a red light, but I assume Ana wasn't thinking and just wanted to get to the hospital as fast as she could and started going even though it was a red light, which is why they got hit.

I'm glad the Robert storyline got wrapped up. Hopefully Callie will finally be adopted at the start of next season. Jude and Connor make me very happy, so I loved their storyline. I wish we had seen Callie's reaction to Jude's coming out to her, though, and the rest of the family's reaction. I feel like Mariana would be really supportive and happy. I'd especially like to see Stef's reaction. 

I don't think they'd kill of any of the kids, so Jesus is most likely going to boarding school. I'm not really thrilled with the idea of Mariana becoming disabled from the accident. I'm going to assume that Ana loses the baby, since I just can't see this show having a baby on it. If they want cute younger kids, have Stef and Lena decide to foster again. Maybe when Callie and Brandon go off to college and/or leave home.

I would've liked to have seen more dialogue but I thought the scene with Mr. Stevens was authentic.  I've long thought he probably wasn't anti-gay like lots of people accused him of being. It's so easy to demonize parents who are struggling with their own upbringing in the face of their children's reality.   People thought that meant he was completely anti-gay when the situation (and reality) is much more nuanced. 

This sort of thing happens more than lots of hets realize.  I know a progressive family whose church is pro-LGBTQ and they spoke up for gay rights.  But when their own son came out, the parents seriously struggled -- to the point that their lesbian daughter chose not to come out for many years.  Their minds said one thing but their gut-- their internalized homophobia-- said the opposite.  Publicly no one knew the struggle but we members of their PFLAG chapter did.  Mr. Stevens let Jude in because he knew what Lena said was correct but that doesn't mean his struggle with himself is over.

I hope we'll get to see more of Mr. Stevens' development.To see another authentic struggle would be great.  Maybe he'll join the local PFLAG chapter (any writers reading this?!?)

• Love 2

Count me among those who love the Jude/Connor storyline.  I had actually stopped watching the show for awhile (got turned off by just how much drama and different storylines there were...yes, I know it's a drama) but started tuning in again for this storyline.

My guess is that Ana dies but they're somehow able to save the baby.  Then the grandparents, as next of kin, want to maintain custody, which leads Stef and Lena into Custody Battle 2.0 for a daughter they didn't initially want to adopt.

• Love 2

I also think the driver who hit them dies, and maybe Ana. I just don't think the show would kill off either twin or have Ana's baby die after Lena's recent miscarriage. Realistically, yes, Jesus would have either died or been very seriously injured when that car slammed into his seat.

Great writing and acting for the Callie-Robert and Jude-Lena conversations. The bond between Jude and Lena is just beautiful. With the exception of the ""war paint (loved that!!) the rest with Jude and Connor was so very unrealistic I just went, "Seriously, show?!?'  I don't believe for a second Connor's dad would change his mind in one conversation with Lena, and allow the two boys to be alone together especially when his son is on a bed right now. Or that Connor would be totally at ease with Jude being on the bed with him and acting like a couple, given that he knows how his dad feels, has a history of being afraid of his dad, knows his dad is right outside. He's only, what, 13? GMAB.  I felt like the audience was having our collective intelligence insulted.

UGH at Monte insinuating that Steph and Lena aren't a good match, bringing wine into the school to toast with Lena about the grant, and kissing Lena while she was vulnerable and feeling overwhelmed by life. Lena looked very uncomfortable. Not that I think Stef deserves Lena. I keep expecting Stef to come out and say, "Everything I do is for the good of our family. If you're not okay with it, well, you're just going to have to suck it up."  

• Love 2

Whatever happens, I don't think they'll go for another custody battle.  (I really hope not, anyway.)  I'm hoping that both twins are fine (after all, if Jesus is seriously injured, then his wrestling scholarship to the fancy boarding school will probably be doomed) and that the fatality is the driver of the other car, leading Ana to have an epiphany about how life is short and she wants to raise the baby and reconcile with her family, etc, etc, which would wrap that storyline up neatly and keep a baby out of the Foster home, while allowing Mariana to engage with her grandparents (and bio-mom, and sister).

On a totally superficial note: whoever does the casting for this show is incredible. The actress playing Ana's mom looks SO MUCH LIKE HER it's amazing.

• Love 1

I thought Connor's dad's about face was a little too complete and too fast. Better if he said something like ok, you can be friends, but you're still too young for dating or lying on a bed behind a closed door together, so I'll be right down the hall with the door open while you visit in the hospital room. That's not even that unreasonable - if he had a 13 year old daughter I doubt he'd let her boyfriend lie next to her on her bed alone in a room with the door closed.

Did I miss a scene in the last few episodes where Callie made it clear to Robert that she actually doesn't want to live with him? Before the grandfather's comment about it being against her will, I mean? Because the last scene I remember where they discussed it was her telling him she had decided to live with him. It was never clear to me that he found out what was going on there at all.

Edited by LeGrandElephant
  • Love 1

Jude and Connor are the cutest and I love them so much. 

Now Monte, on the other hand... You know, I liked her up until this episode. I didn't like the closeness she had with Lena because I didn't like how much Lena was finding support outside of her marriage and I worried that Monte was interested in more than just being a friend, colleague, and confidante. But Monte's behavior in this episode was so horrible. Honestly, I think the writers just took it a little too far because now it's too easy for me to see her as very much in the wrong instead of the storyline being a little more nuanced and relatable. Because first with the line about Lena being so beautiful all I could think was how incredibly inappropriate and unprofessional that was. Then her various comments about, "Sometimes you just have to let go," or whatever when she was pretty blatantly encouraging Lena to split with Stef, and then taking a moment when Lena's confused and sad and making a move on her? Ugh. No, Monte, none of that is okay.

I don't know what to think about the accident. From a practical standpoint I don't really care if Jesus dies or goes to boarding school but I'll be happy to be rid of him. But from a story standpoint, his death would just consume the whole next season and I don't look forward to that. But Mariana better be okay! Mariana wins the prize of Most Improved Character by a mile and she seriously rocks these days.

There may be elements of the Jude/Connor story that seem unrealistic or rushed, but I totally don’t care. I’m eating it up with a spoon. Give me the fluff before the inevitable drama starts up with them. When Jude said “boyfriend,” I squeed like I was the one experiencing my first relationship. I can’t help it. I still think their arc has been written amazingly well and it’s earned. And FWIW, I don’t think Connor’s dad is completely comfortable with it and it can still come up next season. He seemed more reluctant than anything.

As far as Connor being okay with Jude being with him in the hospital, it made sense to me.  I think he saw his dad letting Jude in as a bit of acceptance, even if just a small step towards it. But what it really boils down to is Jude is this safe space he has, someone who allows him to be himself, who he really cares for and wants to be with. After getting shot and presumably thinking their friendship was over, then realizing there’s hope that it’s not, I think it makes sense.

*Sob* what are these two doing to me? 

• Love 2

I thought Connor's dad's about face was a little too complete and too fast. Better if he said something like ok, you can be friends, 

I don't think Mr. Steven's emotionally made an about face but he heard Lena that he can't control Connor forever.  I envision the Stevens guys as the Strong, Silent Type.  Expecting them to talk feelings?  Naw. T'ain't happenin' without some major nudging.

• Love 1

I really dislike what Monte did. I've been the person in the relationship, thinking I have a nice close platonic trusting friendship with another person, only to have that person suddenly start badmouthing my SO and reveal they're into me. It's really not cool, it's a friendship ender, and I can only imagine how much worse it would be if it were my boss!

I was ok with Lena having a close friend and confidante outside the marriage, but this makes it not ok.

On a more minor note, the virtual dancer was cool, but I kept thinking it really should get them disqualified. It's a dance competition requiring six actual dancers, and I don't see how a program that can do dance moves a human can't do (like jumping over all of them) counts or is allowed. They should have at least had Mariana running it from a spot on the stage to count her as the sixth dancer.

Agree with everyone that I don't mind Jesus being written off the show, but I don't want to watch everyone all depressed after his death. Just send him to boarding school. The fatality can be in the other car, and they can deal with the fallout of it being sort of Ana's fault because she ran a red light (did she? Not sure). Mariana could be injured and have to spend time regaining her athletic skills, like how Brandon had to after his hand was hurt. But I'd rather not see her dead or paralyzed or in a coma or whatever.

• Love 1

On a more minor note, the virtual dancer was cool, but I kept thinking it really should get them disqualified. It's a dance competition requiring six actual dancers, and I don't see how a program that can do dance moves a human can't do (like jumping over all of them) counts or is allowed.

It wasn't the competition though, it was just an internal dance-off to see which team would be representing the school. I think they could have used any means they wanted to decide which team went, including just a vote without having them actually dance, so there's no reason that all six had to actually be on stage then. Presumably Mariana's foot would be healed by the time they got to the actual competition (except now I assume her legs and pelvis are all broken or something).

• Love 1

I also don't think Connor's dad did a total about face. It's clear that he's still not happy with it. He clearly was still uncomfortable with it, but I think what might have hit him that he can't keep Jude away from Connor forever was when he saw Jude crying on Lena's shoulder. I assume that was his first turn at redemption, to show that he's not totally heartless. What he said to Lena in between that scene and him letting Jude in seemed to be more like 'I want to keep them apart, but it's hard to see why' and Lena, I think, also helped get through to him. I think what would have put the icing on this cake and sugary storyline, and something sorely missed, would have been a separate scene with Connor and his dad. I think that would have helped establish Connor's dad as seeing what he was doing to his son and finally giving a little back. He obviously still has a long way to go, but he finally took a small step for Connor. It's because it's not a main storyline, though, so we're missing all these important, small scenes that would help a lot.

I imagine Jesus won't die. Losing one child is enough and the promos, to me, didn't seem like Jesus died (although I guess they probably haven't started filming yet). I don't want him to die either, because I still like his character and think he has potential that Jake T Austin's acting keeps bringing down. Just send Jake to a few months of acting school and then bring him back at the end of next season, or whatever. I guess he'll go off to boarding school, although I doubt his parents would really let him go now with the accident. They're already hesitant enough so why would they just let him go? There'd have to be a time jump to explain that. I don't want Ana or the baby to die either. I'm finally starting to like her; I just want her to move out of the Foster's house! I'm guessing Mariana will get some serious injury that makes the dance team go bye-bye in her life, similarly to Brandon's classical music dream....although he seems to be getting back on that. But yeah, losing Jesus would not be ideal. It's just so awkwardly placed in lieu of all these storylines, including Jesus going to boarding school! I'll also agree that they needed a cliffhanger and they already injured Brandon, Callie's already gone through hell this season, and Jude just got his happy ending, so therefore it's the twins. 

But, I also guess that it's similar to reality, in which accidents and potential deaths can happen at anytime, even when it's the most inconvenient. I also am thinking that Jesus won't be completely off the show, so I hope if he doesn't die, that they give him an episode or two to wrap things up. 

As for everything else, I like Robert and think he needed his dad to show him what he's been doing to Callie (and to a lesser extent, Sophia). But man, his dad is a piece of work! I do hope he continues to be in Callie's life. Also...will she actually be adopted by the Fosters? If not, what crazy twist will get in the way now so her and Brandon can never be official, siblings ever so they can still be endgame? Will it be due to the accident, or something else? 

Edited by jessied112
  • Love 2

It wasn't the competition though, it was just an internal dance-off to see which team would be representing the school. I think they could have used any means they wanted to decide which team went, including just a vote without having them actually dance, so there's no reason that all six had to actually be on stage then. Presumably Mariana's foot would be healed by the time they got to the actual competition (except now I assume her legs and pelvis are all broken or something).

Except they showed the other team say something like "they don't have six dancers on stage, so we'll automatically win" but then apparently the virtual dancer counted as the sixth.

...which would wrap that storyline up neatly and keep a baby out of the Foster home, while allowing Mariana to engage with her grandparents (and bio-mom, and sister).

And their uncles - Ana's three brothers!  And their cousins!  Suddenly, the twins have an abundance of family. 

• Love 1

Pretty weird that the state didn't find that abundance of family back when the twins were in foster care. And they didn't find Callie's bio dad despite having her original birth certificate on file. The state in this show sure sucks at tracking down relatives for foster kids.

Also, Ana had the twins till they were like six,right? So she hid their existence from her parents AND all her brothers and cousins? The more family members magically pop up, the less believable the backstories that led to foster care are.

• Love 4

I don't think Mr. Steven's emotionally made an about face but he heard Lena that he can't control Connor forever. 

Yeah, I get the show wants us to understand that he took Lena's words to heart ... but his decision to allow Jude to visit was so quick AND I don't believe a father would allow his 13-year-old son or daughter to be alone with a boy or girl who's more than a friend in a room with a bed (especially a hospital room!), behind a closed door. I absolutely expected Lena to follow Jude into the room, and was shocked when she didn't. If nothing else, I would think he'd tell the boys "you have 15 minutes" and keep the door open. I feel bad for the young teens struggling with their sexuality who may feel hopeful about 'coming out' after watching this episode. The writing is as absurd as nobody ever looking at Callie's birth certificate and seeing her father's name until she's 16.   

• Love 1