Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E13: S06.E12: 2009 / S06.E13: Dreams Come True

Tara Ariano

The curtain comes down as the series ends its six-season run with a look at how the original teen singers found their way to the glee club, and then flashes forward five years to see where life has taken them.

I am obviously dead inside, because that last number did nothing for me, and I was really expecting it to. I was ready to feel emotions but I just feel nothing tbh. Maybe it was the 55 minutes preceding the number that made me numb.

• Love 9

if Rachel needs to have an endgame guy, I'm thrilled that it's Jesse.

Ha!  I'll take your word for it.  Still pissed she required an endgame guy in the first place, but whatever.  It's done.  HOOOOORAY!

Now to really get going on the end of fucking Supernatural.

• Love 5

That was, really sad. I mean, Finn not being there. We all knew it was going to be, but still, I missed Finn terribly during all the St. Berry. Almost like I did even prepare for it.

Mercedes didn't find love, just Sam blowing up her phone? They are in some sort of stasis.

• Love 6

I'm not going to lie. They had me then they lost me. Other than the Finn dedication which was touching that last 30-20 minutes was a mess.

And I guess all the Sam fans can sleep easy because he did not suffer the awful, unimaginable fate of having to end up with Mercedes. God forbid.

• Love 7

Haven't watched Glee in years but I tuned in for the finale. That was really good, I enjoyed mostly everything but the Sue stuff.

I was really good until the Finn Hudson dedication and ending on the memorial picture but, they got me in the end. My only quibble, I would have liked for the final song to be "Don't Stop Believing". I know it was the final clip in the first hour but I'd have enjoyed a final reprise.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 3

Sue being vice president was ridiculous but kinda hilarious. 

The 2009 flashback ep. was odd. None of them looked they could pass for HS kids. Kurt wanting Finn out of the Glee club was a bit bizzare. Artie talking about Finn helping him was sweet. I bawled when they showed the DSB song. As soon as I saw Cory the tears started. DSB has always been my fav. Glee song.

I dont mind Jesse/Rachel, like I said earlier, if it cant be Finn then it makes sense. 

• Love 5

On the bright side, we have no details about Jesse & Rachel's courtship/marriage/etc so lots of material for fanfic that won't be in conflict with canon. 

End song got to me, just because it was so good to see almost everyone back on stage. 

So imost of this last season was about Will and about Sue, then Rachel.  Tina with Artie instead of Mike (major Sads!).  Surrogate baby?  Never happened or at least not until Rachel was in her early thirties. 

• Love 2

So I need to know just how pissed I should be about this. Was it outright stated that the baby that Rachel is carrying is biologically hers? I may have blacked out from the rage a smidge.

St. Berry for the motherfucking WIN!!!!!!!!!!

WE MADE IT!!!! WE'RE FREE!!!

Admittedly, I found Sue's speech the most moving. Talking about the good stuff that came out of the show (including Finn and Kurt's friendship). And I'm not gonna lie - I was getting weepy during I Lived. Seeing pretty much everyone who was I the show on that stage...

This show was a mess. This finale is a pile of fantasy wish fulfillment where everyone is successful and happy. And too much of the finale felt like Ryan Murphy giving himself a big old pat on the back. But I'm going to miss Glee. I'm going to miss seeing Kurt on my TV every week.

• Love 1

• Loved seeing Terri again.  To me she was the highlight the episode
  • They did a much better job with Finn's absence than I expected.  Still it was bittersweet that I kept on expecting to see him.
  • Out of all of the kids I feel like Chris had the hardest time recapturing the Kurt of yore.  Makes sense as Chris has changed the most.  Also the hair people were all over the place with his style.  They got it right in a few scenes but so terribly wrong in others
  • Amber's acting has improved so much since season 1. Kudos to her for putting in the work and getting better.
  • Also kudos to Lea for nailing season 1 Rachel
  • I straight up bawled when we saw "Don't Stop Believing Again"

Dreams Come True

This episode was a combination of emotional send-off, tween wish fulfillment fanfic, and Glee at its metatastic self congratulatory worst.  

• The emotional part was, of course, the last song and the auditorium being dedicated to Finn. 
  • The tween wish fulfillment fanfic was everyone's careers especially Mercedes, Rachel's, and Kurt/Blaine's as well as Rachel being their surrogate.
  • And the metatastic self congratulatory worst was Sue saying how Kurt taught her to be herself. That was straight up RM and team patting themselves on the back for all that they think they have done to advance LGBTQ acceptance.   Now of course they have contributed but when they get all self congratulatory I want to say you didn't change things all on your own.  There was also Sue's speech at the end which was the show going overboard on congratulating itself for the impact it made on lives.  

Other notes

• Of course Sam ends up coaching ND and people wonder why I said he was Finn lite.  Hell even his endgame career was the one Finn was supposed to have although he didn't bother getting a degree
  • Mercedes acting like going on tour meant perhaps goodbye forever to her friends was just weird. She has already been on tour once and managed to keep in touch with them and lo and behold this she also kept in touch with them if we go by the flashforward
  • While Rachel singing "This Time" was lovely, knowing that she left Lima to go to NYADA months before (she sang it in Aug/Sep 2015 and left for New York in January 2015), took away some of the impact and made it seem so very random

Finally I loved that Rachel dedicated her award to Will mainly because it brought it back full circle to 2 of the original 3 lead characters of the show. 

Also here is the timeline sorted out

• Last week's episode ended in November 2014.  Shortly there after all of the kids returned to New York
  • This week's opened in May 2015 with NNND winning nationals.  Rachel/Kurt/Blaine attended to support Will
  • The show quickly jumped to August 2015 with Will taking over McKinley arts school.  All of his former students were there in attendance to support him.  At that time Blaine asked Sam to join them in NY but he had a job as the coach of ND.  Also at that time Mercedes sang goodbye because she was going on tour with Beyonce and apparently that means she is in witness protection. Finally at that time Sue said her goodbye through "The Winner takes it all." 
  • Then we flashforwarded to November 2020 with Sue being VP
  • Back to August/September 2015 with Blaine /Kurt looking in the locker Kurt is using as a time capsule
  • Flashforward to 2020 with Blaine/Kurt talking to kids at pre-school after a successful debut at Lincoln Center
  • Back to August/September 2015 where Rachel is singing a goodbye song 9-10 months after she left McKinley this last time. Why she did it 9-10 months later instead of back in January 2015 makes no sense
  • Flash forward to June 2020 with Rachel winning her Tony
  • Flahsforward to Fall 2020  with the Glee reunion where they dedicate the auditorium to Finn
Edited by camussie
  • Love 10

My only quibble: I was kinda hoping that right after her speech Rachael went into labor from all the excitement from winning and safely had the healthy baby, mostly because i just wanted to know what Kurt and Blaine were going to have.

Also I did love in the 2009 part was when Kurt almost told his dad he was gay. Even the most cynical amongst us have to admit, the one thing they never ever messed up in the entire 6 years of the show was Kurt's relationship with his dad. Or am I wrong in that?

Edited by madhacker
  • Love 6

I don't think it was outwardly stated one way or the other if Rachel is the bio mom. I Got to say I loved s St. Berry endgame. Broadway Power Couple That they are.

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 1

I liked the first hour actually. Granted they looked old, but I got what they were trying to do and I liked it. 

Now that second hour? That was a mess. However, the last scene and performance made me choke up. I think it was seeing everyone together dancing and singing...I thought that part was well done. 

Goodbye Glee...you went out with a song that made me love you as much as I always did. 

• Love 2

Sue being vice president was ridiculous but kinda hilarious.

The 2009 flashback ep. was odd. None of them looked they could pass for HS kids. Kurt wanting Finn out of the Glee club was a bit bizzare. Artie talking about Finn helping him was sweet. I bawled when they showed the DSB song. As soon as I saw Cory the tears started. DSB has always been my fav. Glee song.

I don't mind Jesse/Rachel, like I said earlier, if it cant be Finn then it makes sense they end up together.

Rachel wining a Tony was nice. Her thanking Mr. Shue was really sweet. I was iffy on him as a teacher most of the time but I do like what he did for those kids.

Finn auditorium *cries*

• Love 1
My only quibble: I was kinda hoping that right after her speech Rachael went into labor from all the excitement from winning and safely had the healthy baby, mostly because i just wanted to know what Kurt and Blaine were going to have.

They could have timed the labor by having Jesse sing "Bohemian Rhapsody Reprised"

• Love 9

I am just so neutral to this episode. Like I'm angry and not angry at the same time. It was obvious wish fulfillment that did work out in my favour in regards to St. Berry I have to admit, but everything else was such a train wreck. 

• Love 3

I don't think it was outwardly stated one way or the orher. I Got to say I loved s St. Berry endgame. Broadway Power Couple That they are.

The JayZ and Beyoncé of Broadway, bitches!!!! Yeah, baby!!!!!  

On the real though, that is the only thing stopping me from going all Sue Sylvester O Fortuna all over this forum right now. Goddamn I thought this show had lost it's power over making me tear my fucking hair out. Jaysus!

I liked the first hour actually. Granted they looked old, but I got what they were trying to do and I liked it. 

Now that second hour? That was a mess. However, the last scene and performance made me choke up. I think it was seeing everyone together dancing and singing...I thought that part was well done. 

Goodbye Glee...you went out with a song that made me love you as much as I always did. 

Pretty well my exact sentiments.  Still kind of in happy shock that St. Berry was really endgame and not a bait and switch. 

• Love 2

I gave up on the show and came back for this final episode. I thought it was okay until the dedication and then the tears started rolling. I was obsessed with the show during the first two seasons, so it was nice to see their happy endings. But it really made me miss Finn.

I also wished they had sung "Don't Stop Believing" for the final song. When they showed it at the end of the first hour, I for sure thought it was going to be the last song. I'm glad we heard it at least once during the last two hours of the show.

• Love 2

Well there was that.

I liked seeing the super "eat or be eaten" antagonistic Rachel Berry back in "2009".   Really liked her on Popular.

Happy she ended up with Jesse St. James and in my head cannon they are SO about to start their own "production".

Loved him coaching her on how to do her "Speech".

Ya.  That's about it.

So glad this show is over.

• Love 4

I haven't watched the show in ages. I watched the last 10 minutes. The final performance was well done but I thought they might have closed the show where it started in red shirts & jeans & Don't Stop!! Such a simpler & innocent time back then.

On the real though, that is the only thing stopping me from going all Sue Sylvester O Fortuna all over this forum right now. Goddamn I thought this show had lost it's power over making me tear my fucking hair out. Jaysus!

The more I think about that last hour, the more WTF I am about the whole thing.

• Love 2

Aww, it went out on a high note, at least!  I said in the liveblog thread, but I liked the OTT wish fulfillment success.  It's not realistic at all, but it wouldn't feel like Glee, otherwise.  And everyone getting their dream success makes it better for me.  It's not just Rachel as the lead.  It's a whole, weird, OTT wish fulfillment universe!

The last sequence really showed how huge a cast this was.  It's a shame Melissa Benoist couldn't be there.  And I also kind of hoped that Holly, April, and Shelby had showed up, too.  At the very least, I wish that Shelby, Brittany's parents, Blaine's mom, and Santana's parents and abuela were in the auditorium - but that really would be wish fulfillment!  Seeing Carole tear up during Sue's dedication was really sweet.

• Love 1

I usually hate finales, but this one is one of the worst I have seen. Two hours of pointlessness leading to a big pile of nothing.

Because the writing is so bad, I can't care about their futures because they don't write things in any sort of exciting way, but I was still curious to see how they turned out and hoped the last episode would be at least fun and focus on everyone's future. Instead they focused on the kids I cared the least about, save Rachel. I wanted to see how Santana, Quinn, Brittany and even Puck ended up, but nothing. Instead we get a bunch of Sue, who has been the cancer of this season, and Sue and Will, and Sue and becky... pointless songs, pointless everything. I haven't even liked the music this season and the finale was no different.

I liked Rachel winning a Tony and marrying Jesse (I actually wanted that ending even before Finn died), but noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo on being a surrogate to Klaine. Because, lmao that is what a 24 year old does at the height of her career, specially when her career depends so much on looks and performing.

I felt nothing when the auditorium was named after Finn, or when Mckinley became an arts school or when Mercedes left to go with Beyonce. Nothing, nothing. I think I only got a smile at Artie and Tina ending together.

2009 was at least cute because of seeing them back in the beginning, but it was boring too.

this was just a bloody mess that I want to get out of my memory.

• Love 5

They just said she was their surrogate. I highly doubt Rachel would give up her own child.

I was kind of disappointed because we didn't get to hear all of the originals endings. Did puck and Quinn stay together, what's going on with Santana and Brit, Mike, etc.

I'm free of Ryan Murphy! Halliu!!

• Love 5

I would have liked to get some time to check in on Santana and Brittany, but I get that we couldn't went an entire episode going into the future for all of the characters.

I think I'm impressed that Rachel listened to Sam and went back to NYADA after all.  But honestly, the larger plot pieces are kind of irrelevant here.  We got everything tied up in one big happy bow, and that's about as much as we could have expected.

• Love 1

None of them ever did.

Lol, I was just going to say that. I did think they could pass for themselves 6 years ago, save Colfer, and that was pretty surprising to me.

I think it would have been a lot more emotionally fulfilling if the writers had written Will as a truly excellent teacher.  Having him get all those pats on the back was a lot like when Finn was portrayed as a hero back in season whatever.  Such unearned praise.  The writers should have been made to watch To Sir with Love in combination with Stand & Deliver in a continual loop until they understood what makes an inspiring teacher.

• Love 3

Still perplexed at at why Rachel felt a need to sing "This Time" as a goodbye to her time at McKinley 9-10 months after she left McKinley to go back to NYADA.  So very random.  

I think it would have been a lot more emotionally fulfilling if the writers had written Will as a truly excellent teacher.  Having him get all those pats on the back was a lot like when Finn was portrayed as a hero back in season whatever.  Such unearned praise.  The writers should have been made to watch To Sir with Love in combination with Stand & Deliver in a continual loop until they understood what makes an inspiring teacher.

That (although I have  more regard for his teaching than you) and also if they hadn't treated teaching as something that is the fallback plan for those who aren't talented enough to actually make a living in the arts.  Still it got to me when Rachel dedicated her award to Will.  I am a sucker for full circle finales (see my love for the ER finale where the episode was anchored around a clinic Carter funded for County)  and that felt like a full circle moment.  

Edited by camussie
  • Love 2

I would have liked to get some time to check in on Santana and Brittany, but I get that we couldn't went an entire episode going into the future for all of the characters.

Actually, yes they could have and should have, imo. It did not have to be complicated, at the very least they could just have showed up during the Tony thing and mentioned their lives. At least the originals.

• Love 4

I think I only got a smile at Artie and Tina ending together.

I think Tina has undiagnosed mental health issues, that's the only reason she could think a relationship with Artie was a good idea. 

• Love 1

I think Tina has undiagnosed mental health issues, that's the only reason she could think a relationship with Artie was a good idea. 

He did get treated for the clap, right?

• Love 1

I cried during the final number more than i have about anything in awhile. I don't know how to explain why - it wasn't for what the show was, but for what it was often so close to being, and the characters that for very occasional moments i really understood. I'm glad it's over, because it was going nowhere - but i'm going to miss it.

• Love 9

Cam, what part of this show has ever made sense?

People teaching and being nurses who have no education?

A guy that would date his ex fiancées high school bully?

Sue Sylvester- need I say more?