Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E16: It's Good To Be Kink

Olivia springs into action when she hears of a woman intending to expose sex secrets of some of DC’s most elite. Meanwhile, Elizabeth fears that Mellie’s sister could be detrimental to their political aspirations.

When Cyrus was trying to give Olivia the three mil--there was a glimpse of a brick building behind them. Was that the 'Jeffersonian' from Bones?

The look on his face when Mellie said she was running for the Senate--absolutely priceless. :D

Someone please remind me--how much does Rosen know about Huck? Does he know what he did for B613?

I am so over Huck and his crazy eyes. Somebody tell me why even if he left Liv and B6whatever, why would that woman want him in the house with those damn crazy eyes??

I could give a crap about this episode and Sue until, YES GOD! Columbus Short! Goddamn that's a fine piece of man. Get it Liv. Get ALL of it.

Edited by Brooklynista
  • Love 7

I thought for a brief moment that we might get through an entire episode without Huck senselessly murdering or torturing someone.  That character just drags this whole show down.

So now Fitz and Jake are reduced to sitting around having endless conversations about what Liv does all day.

This show used to be fun.  Now every character is just sad and depressing.  Even the OPA cases are sad and depressing.   

• Love 7
I thought for a brief moment that we might get through an entire episode without Huck senselessly murdering or torturing someone.  That character just drags this whole show down.

Normally I am with you entirely about Huck, but if Huck is ridding us of Kinky Sue, I can easily waive my Huck Sucks policy. 

Edited by reggiejax
  • Love 3

Huck being a crazy murderer, and Quinn and Olivia enabling him is making it hard to like anything they do.  Huck is a psycho and shouldn't get an immunity deal. Or be allowed near his kid.  Didn't that kid witness a murder because of Huck? Are we supposed to forget that?  Sue had agreed not to release the book, so there's no reason to kill her other than being a pyscho.

• Love 12

HATED this episode.

Hate the stupid sex scandal, HATE Huck, hate the awful ugly girl from Girls who gets glowing reviews for anything and everything she does, hate gross Charlie, really truly and deeply extra hate flaccid Fitz and loser Jake spying on Olivia and discussing her with one another behind her back.

WTH happened to this show??? Is this really the same series that spawned The Lawn Chair?

eta: ok, I enjoyed the couple of 80s songs they used, but that doesn't make a show

Edited by Shelby
  • Love 10

Someone please remind me--how much does Rosen know about Huck? Does he know what he did for B613?

He must have a clue. Rosen had the B613 files and tabbed them. So he must have come across files about Huck's handiwork. He's also well aware of what Jake did for B613 and just being around Huck as much as he had, he must have some inkling at a minimum that Huck has killed dozens, hundreds....

But then, what was up with the "I feel guilty about Kinky Sue. Do you, Huck who I know is a sociopath at best, ever have guilt?"

Just when the show got back to fixing messy problems, they had to have Huck slice a woman's throat open.  This is so not what I signed on for in season 1. 

Huck now cannot be redeemed as a character. Most of the people he killed or wounded or tortured had it coming to some extent or another. To the best of my recollection, this is the first time he's killed someone who was innocent. 

• Love 5

Olivia needs to take that white hat and burn it.

I wouldn't mind seeing where they could go with Jake and Quinn. At least he could be more useful than he is now.

Edited by Sidney
  • Love 2
Huck now cannot be redeemed as a character. Most of the people he killed or wounded or tortured had it coming to some extent or another. To the best of my recollection, this is the first time he's killed someone who was innocent.

He can join Jake in the "irredeemably kills innocents, but the show will want us to forget that in an episode or two" category.  Scandal relies on shock value, like its characters suddenly acting like serial killers,  but it also relies on short attention spans and audience amnesia.  Just as Jake brutally murdered Cyrus' husband / one of Olivia's best friends, but soon afterward was quickly back to "dreamy boyfriend for Olivia" status, so too will Huck, in an episode or two, be back in the "funny scene where Huck says something cute" category.  That the show might have a character take one of these violent actions, and then genuinely follow through on its implications, is highly unlikely.

• Love 7

Oh, somebody just Old Yeller Huck already.  Whether or not they wear overalls and are in bare feet while they do it is entirely up to them.

This episode was filler out the ass.  Nothing happened.  Nothing moved forward.  It's like they're just going through the motions until April.

• Love 4

Gawd, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who was revolted by Huck and by this episode.  I stopped it after he murdered Sue, couldn't finish.  Not even Quinn's big family speech could mediate the disgust.  I liked Huck when he told Olivia that I'm a monster because that's what you let me be or some such shit.  It made sense in a dark way.  

And oh, yes, please, and thank you to the diss of Lena Dunham about everybody raving about her no matter what she does.  Watching Jon Stewart slobber all over her on The Daily Show about Girls made my queasy.  

• Love 2

Appalling episode. Great music, though.

Oh and "dust buster" seems to have several sexual meanings, but the one they seem to have been going for is snorting coke off your partner's privates.

Agreed about Huck. But then, he'll have to wait in line behind both of Liv's parents.

• Love 2

Turned it off the moment Huck sliced that woman's throat.  This show has turned into one very large pile of hate.

Yeah, I think I'm done.  And Quinn - it's ok because Abby is "family?"

In real life, Huck would be locked away some place or we'd be hearing about him on a "Breaking News" report.  I get it's not real, but it's just gotten stupid. How far from reality can you stray and still have something at least somewhat believable? (And his over acting is atrocious).   Are we supposed to feel sorry for him because of his past?  He disgusts me, the way he is written disgusts me, everyone protecting him disgusts me, and  I just can't buy into it anymore.

• Love 6

Huck's got to go. There's officially nothing left about him that's remotely rootable. He's no longer the broken misfit toy trying to live a decent life. He's a serial killer and it's time for him to be put down. 

Yay for Liv getting some from somebody who isn't playing games. I hope she bangs him like a screen door in the wind. She deserves that. No walking in the sun. No jam in Vermont. Just "do we have enough condoms?"

I actually liked Sue and I'm not a Lena Dunham fan. For all her so-called kinkiness she was the most normal person we've seen on this show in a long time. Watching how Shonda uses her shows to explore/advance her political and sociological agenda is fascinating to me. She's become so overt it's like she's rushing to put everything she wants to say on screen before it all just goes away. I'm very surprised by the lack of pushback I've seen though. 

• Love 7

He can join Jake in the "irredeemably kills innocents, but the show will want us to forget that in an episode or two" category.  Scandal relies on shock value, like its characters suddenly acting like serial killers,  but it also relies on short attention spans and audience amnesia.  Just as Jake brutally murdered Cyrus' husband / one of Olivia's best friends, but soon afterward was quickly back to "dreamy boyfriend for Olivia" status, so too will Huck, in an episode or two, be back in the "funny scene where Huck says something cute" category.  That the show might have a character take one of these violent actions, and then genuinely follow through on its implications, is highly unlikely.

I can at least see an argument for why Jake felt he had to kill James and the others -- they were threatening B613/President Grant's election theft/whatever with imminent public exposure, and if that happens one can reasonably believe the republic will fall, cats and dogs will be living together, mass hysteria. Besides, if it wasn't Jake, it would have been someone else from B613.

Huck killed Sue on the theory that one day she MIGHT talk and if she does talk, she would be a threat to Rosen's career, and if she's a threat to Rosen's career, then Rosen couldn't offer him immunity and if Rosen couldn't offer him immunity, he couldn't have one big happy family. Even putting aside how selfish that motive for killing was, it just wasn't legitimately logical. There's no guarantee that Sue would talk, or that she would talk about Rosen. Even if she were, there's nothing to say that it would be any time in the near future. Rosen would have plenty of time to get him an immunity deal before she were to talk. And even if he did not, there's always his replacement, or really the entirety of the Department of Justice, who could hammer out an immunity deal. And Huck should know better than most, it's not like Command is going to say, "Man, Huck's blowing the whistle on us so he can reunite with his family. If only we could employ the legion of assassins, torturers, bribers and so forth to put a stop to this. But he's got an immunity deal with the prosecutor, so I guess he and his family is untouchable."

Seems far better for him to have just threatened her and been like "I'm a scary man. If you breathe another word about all these men, it'll be your last."

On another front: I hate to sound/be sexist and shallow, but we're to believe that these 16 power players in D.C., where there's an army of young and hot women, slept with Sue because she was kinky and on a pro-kink website? 

Also, hadn't Sue already sent the proposal if not the entire manuscript to publishers? I don't see how anyone could be confident that the only copies of it have been obtained. And wouldn't "Author of prospective sexy memoir about sexy times with power players found murdered" still have the same effect of giving publicity and credence to her account?

Seems like a horrible idea to bring all 16 people Sue slept with in a room together rather than approach them anonymously.

Also, doesn't Huck have more than 2 billion and counting from redirecting the B613 slush fund? Sue could have gotten paid off from just that.

• Love 8

So...just so I know how I'm supposed to react: should I be surprised every time Huck goes off script and murders someone?  It happens every other episode -- sometimes twice in the same one.

Man, I was pissed that Sue's sex antics had to be related to a rape incident. Why can't she just enjoy freaky sex? Why did they have to go with this cliche? Dammit!

To be fair, at least they didn't try to pass it off as she was being promiscuous because of a rape attempt. The harassment came because her supervisor had heard about the sex and felt entitled to "get a piece." She did just enjoy freaky sex. (Although I loved seeing her reaction to Charlie.) But her supervisor subscribed to the all-too-prevalent belief among many men and women that if a woman consents to sex with one man she no longer has the right to refusal of any man.

• Love 11

Am I the only person who thought that the "Alex" scenes were imagined?  The way that they transitioned from Olivia reading Sue's book directly over to "Alex" at the bar, I thought for sure that this was Olivia fantasizing.  But then by the end of the "second meeting," I thought that maybe I was wrong.

Also:  "...you and Ruth Bader Ginsburg.  You're all we've got!"

• Love 4

I don't know. Scandal is in this weird place. People got tired of B316 overwhelming the show and it has been slightly phased out. Olitz drama was on overload and for now they've been put on the backburner. More cases of the week were wanted and it's what we've been getting. People complain about the show being too over the top but that's how the show got popular in the first place. I feel like Scandal is another show that can't win right now.

To stay on this episode, I enjoyed it. The show is called Scandal and they gave one. It may been waters we've been in before but Scandal's are probably the biggest most honest scandal in politics. I enjoyed Olivia getting some. I hate to make things racial but I'm glad it was a black man this time.Between this show and Empire, we have two successful shows with black leads but no real black love to engaged in (Lucious/Cookie does NOT cut it). People are mad or tired of Huck but he's been like this for a while. I just except in so much as he's who he is. It doesn't bother me. My jaw was open from the throat slice to commercial when it happened though. Fuck! Abby got her own Papa Pope style monologue to boot. I'll allow it.

• Love 8

One other thing that occurred to me: Sue is willing to stand up to 16 DC power players and potentially ruin their lives. Sue is willing to stand up to THE Olivia Pope. 

But she gets fired in the clearest of clearcut cases of sexual harassment and she apparently needs THE Olivia Pope to figure out that maybe you should sue that guy and the department that unjustly fired her (and further, blacklisted her for other job opportunities)?

• Love 2

I am so over Huck and his crazy eyes. Somebody tell me why even if he left Liv and B6whatever, why would that woman want him in the house with those damn crazy eyes??

Thank you Brooklynista! Has it been established that she is even trying to back with Huck in that way? She could just be trying to do the right thing after reading all that disturbing B613 information that he literally left on her doorstep? Honestly, I would be laughing for a smooth 10 minutes if after all of Huck's crazy eyed shenanigans, she tells him that she's not interested in reuniting the family. After all, she now knows what he is capable of.

Edited by 2AT
  • Love 1

Sounds like I am still not missing anything.  I do want this show back but just can't with the way they are writing it now.  :-(

I made it through this one season, but I think I'll just check this site for episode recap and glorious snark.  At least I didn't dump it after two shows, like CSI  Cyber! 

He must have a clue. Rosen had the B613 files and tabbed them. So he must have come across files about Huck's handiwork. He's also well aware of what Jake did for B613 and just being around Huck as much as he had, he must have some inkling at a minimum that Huck has killed dozens, hundreds....

But then, what was up with the "I feel guilty about Kinky Sue. Do you, Huck who I know is a sociopath at best, ever have guilt?"

Gawd, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who was revolted by Huck and by this episode.  I stopped it after he murdered Sue, couldn't finish.  Not even Quinn's big family speech could mediate the disgust.  I liked Huck when he told Olivia that I'm a monster because that's what you let me be or some such shit.  It made sense in a dark way.  

And oh, yes, please, and thank you to the diss of Lena Dunham about everybody raving about her no matter what she does.  Watching Jon Stewart slobber all over her on The Daily Show about Girls made my queasy.  

Turned it off the moment Huck sliced that woman's throat.  This show has turned into one very large pile of hate. 

Me. too. I turned it off, deleted it and cancelled the season pass on my DVR. Sorry, Shonda, but I'm out.

There were a few things I liked about this episode(Abby's speech to Leo, Liz working with Mellie, David was funny throughout) but the rest of it left a lot to be desired. Not a lot of movement in the storylines and a boring COTW plus Huck killing someone again just made it hard to really enjoy this episode.

What I found more interesting was the ratings. This episode fell to a season low 2.4 rating in the 18-49 adult demo

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/03/20/tv-ratings-thursday-scandal-american-crime-fall-the-blacklist-vampire-diaries-up-greys-anatomy-reign-flat/377326/

Now that is still a very good rating and the show is pretty much a lock for renewal, but there has been a steady drop over the last few episodes. I think the kidnapping arc didn't help things plus viewer fatigue might just be setting in. The show had it's best ratings last season despite complaints about the quality, but maybe at this point people are just becoming tired of the show a little bit

• Love 1

I loved Leo during the DC Power Players meeting. "Yup, let's pay her (as he keeps playing with his phone)!" "Who still wants to pay her?" (hand shoots into the air) Fun!

• Love 4

I like Huck when he is all murdering crazy shit. Good boy Huck is boring. Off his leash Huck is fun. Mellie and Lizzie are going to be fun. Girz rule. Boyz drool. Hey put Abby on the team too!

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2

Huck now cannot be redeemed as a character. Most of the people he killed or wounded or tortured had it coming to some extent or another. To the best of my recollection, this is the first time he's killed someone who was innocent

Huck passed the point of redemption a long time ago.

And I have to doubt the idea that he has never killed innocents before. I think we can safely assume from what we have been told about his time at B613 that he did some fucked up shit and that there was, to put it coldly, collateral damage.

And while I don't think Kinky Sue deserved to die (though as I said in my earlier post, I was more than OK with it), I cannot in all consciousness call anyone who tried to extort $3,000,000 dollars an "innocent".

• Love 1

WHAT is the Dustbuster? I'm having debates with all these people in my life about this right now. Urban Dictionary says something about cocaine, but I'm having a hard time picturing Abby and Leo snorting coke off of each other.

Don't say I didn't warn you that you'll never unsee it, but look up Atlanta Dustbuster. Might be more like that. 

• Love 1

I didn't hate it. Watching Lena Dunham doing the Olivia Pope strut into OPA wearing her Olivia Pope drag was pretty funny to me.

I'm usually entertained by Huck and his crazy eyes but it's just been too much and makes no sense to me. He was supposed to lie to protect his family (and Liv) but didn't now all he's worried about is immunity? Okaaaay.

Okay, because Jake has said so, Liv is not in danger of being used to control the Prez. Sure, alrighty then.

I think I will enjoy the Mellie/Lizzie tag team.

• Love 3

WHAT is the Dustbuster? I'm having debates with all these people in my life about this right now. Urban Dictionary says something about cocaine, but I'm having a hard time picturing Abby and Leo snorting coke off of each other.

Abby considered Leo's Dustbustering "disgusting," so I think it's safe to assume that Abby did not dustbuster (whatever it might mean) Leo or vice-versa.

Huck passed the point of redemption a long time ago.

And I have to doubt the idea that he has never killed innocents before. I think we can safely assume from what we have been told about his time at B613 that he did some fucked up shit and that there was, to put it coldly, collateral damage.

And while I don't think Kinky Sue deserved to die (though as I said in my earlier post, I was more than OK with it), I cannot in all consciousness call anyone who tried to extort $3,000,000 dollars an "innocent".

I'm sure that Huck did shady stuff in the service of B613. But one could make the argument that his will was not his own. 

I suppose what Huck did with Quinn was over the top, but I can't think of anything else we've been shown where he took on someone who "didn't have it coming." And one could argue that Quinn had it coming because she was betraying Olivia and associates.

"Innocent" may not be the right word both morally and legally. But the point is, at the point that Huck killed Sue or anything, she did not pose a direct threat to anyone and to the extent that she might pose a future threat, there were less extreme measures that could be taken than slashing her throat. 

• Love 2
Also: "...you and Ruth Bader Ginsburg. You're all we've got!"

My reaction? To yell, "SERIOUSLY?!" at the TV when she said it. Right, Shonda. Because a woman who fucks a married man and criminally rigs a national election to get her slam piece into higher office, is the heroine of us all.

Huck has passed his expiration date. While part of me was thinking that FINALLY someone has done what I wish HBO would do, the other part of me was thinking, "GROSS. Why do we have to see that?"

• Love 9

My reaction? To yell, "SERIOUSLY?!" at the TV when she said it. Right, Shonda. Because a woman who fucks a married man and criminally rigs a national election to get her slam piece into higher office, is the heroine of us all.

When I heard that RBG and Liv crap I almost punched my innocent TV!!!!  The person who wrote that line should be fired, fired, fired!!!!

But I would watch the hell out of Mellie/Lizzie/Abby working together to put Mellie in office.  I wouldn't miss that!

• Love 2

Huck used to be my favorite character, way back in the day, when he was more of a reformed psycho killer, not a...still psycho killer. Now its just creepy. Granted, this show has always liked having characters that don't have the greatest morals, or do really questionable things, and that's ok. I liked that. But Huck just needs to be stopped. Its not even morally ambiguous anymore, its just creepy. 

• Love 3

The stunt casting of Lena Dunham pulled me out of the show.  "Hey, let's cast someone who wrote a book about how she sexually abused her younger sister as an author of a kinky sex tell-all book!" Real slick there, Shonda.

Huck is disgusting. I've never liked him since the episode where he first tortured someone (Charlie).  But now he just keeps getting worse and worse. Javi deserves so much better.

It also occurs to me to question: when David started saying, "I'm not going to be able to get you out of a parking ticket when this book comes out," what's that about?

At the second he says that, he's the goddamned Attorney General of the goddamned United States! He can have a minion draw up an immunity agreement within an hour or two (even assuming they don't have stock immunity agreements, which they must) and have it signed that day.

There's no way that the rumors of the book, and the deciphering of the people in it are all going to take place before the immunity agreement would be signed.

• Love 1

Yes, David was acting like if the book came out, anything he did would be retroactively struck down. It doesn't work that way, David. You're the attorney general - you should know this!

Surprisingly, I didn't hate this episode.  Finally the show seemed to come back around to the original concept....fixing messy situations.  So I was all in until...yeah...good old Huck did his usual.  While I used to love Huck, I can't stand to see him or listen to him now.  I'm hoping that this latest killing leads to him being put down. I just can't muster any good will toward him anymore.  And someone upthread said this, but why would is (ex)wife want "Huck" around her and her child.  Huck is not and will never be Diego, the man she knew and loved.  

I also liked Olivia going out and trying to move past the kidnapping. Her choice for a casual fling wasn't bad either!  She's keeping that wine shop in business single-handedly.

• Love 1