Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E09: Burned

Loretta throwing a wrench into Raylan's, Boyd's, and Markham's plan was funny and dangerous.

Katherine is awesome.

Boyd has more lives than a cat.

Everyone double crossing each other, and then double crossing each other again is excellent.

Ava is so dead if she does not get the hell away from Raylan and Boyd.

• Love 3

You know what the beautiful thing about Duffy being the rat is? Not only is it completely out of left field, it's also completely believable.

Loretta = Mags Bennett at 18.

Rachel's learning what Art learned, Raylan's what they call in the NFL a "Coach Killer".

Edited by AimingforYoko
  • Love 6

Didn't mind that Scott Grimes' character bit it tonight...he was the least interesting of the trio.

Never really had any use for Loretta before tonight, but she's definitely got my attention now.

I'm also digging Boon as a bad guy...perfectly creepy and menacing. Loved Raylan likening him to John "movie cowboy" Wayne, but it makes me nervous that Raylan's underestimating him.

Edited by spaceytraci1208
  • Love 3

I knew Ava's crazy uncle would be the one to either kill or almost kill Boyd. Boyd didn't take how dangerous he was seriously.

Winn Duffy makes perfect sense as the rat. Boon is pissing me off - not creeping me out.  Where does Markham get these people?

I'm glad they let Loretta turn out the way I figured she would. Despite the second chances, she's Mags in training. She one upped all of them and did it well. 

Totally saw Katherine shooting Sea Bass, what will Avery do when he finds out she's trying to steal his money?

Ava, honey, you are a dead woman walking. Stuck between a rock and a hard place.

• Love 1

Great episode!  Loved having so many of the character together at the end and it raised the episode even further.

Loretta was all kinds of awesome in this episode and I'm rooting for her to take over the pot trade by the end of the series.

Didn't see Wynn Duffy being the mole but it was a great decision that totally works.  Laughed at Art's reaction to seeing him nearly naked in the tanning booth.  Lot of funny moments in this episode, many coming from Wynn.  His "fake phone conversation" and his reaction to seeing Zacharius (complete with Zach's ugly mug).  Props to Tim for his "Boyd Wonder" nickname.

I know Elmore Leonard criminals aren't smart but I totally didn't buy Scott Grimes character being dumb enough to let Catherine reach into her purse, going so far as to lower his weapon.  Not buying it.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 3

Oh, Sea Bass.  You could have made it out alive; when did you become a big idiot?  I think even Choo Choo would have been smarter then that.

Well, I guess Boon sure is one way to replace Ty.  Not many people can be on the same creepy level as Garrett Dillahunt, but Jonathan Tucker with his perma-crazy eyes; complemented with a glorious moustache; certainly gives him a fighting chance.  Looking forward to seeing more of them, and hopefully he'll be a different type of villain compared to the rest.

This show... it keeps surprising me.  I had assumed Loretta appearance episodes back was a one and done thing, but, nope: she's not only back, but has completely changed the game.  She truly wants to be the new queen of Harlan (raise a glass to Mags Bennett.)  That speech, and seeing her managed to shake up Avery, Boyd, AND Raylan was a sight to behold.  Which means, I totally worry for her.  This is dangerous territory, and I do wonder if she really is as smart as she thinks she is.  I mean, I doubt Boyd or Raylan (obviously) would do her harm, but Avery?  Yeah, I wouldn't put anything past him.

Duffy was the snitch!  And, now is forced to do it again, against Boyd!  I love that he's back in the fore-front, but I do hope this doesn't automatically mean he's doomed.  I really want him to be the cockroach that manages to survive.  I would be all for a S4 retread, where his final scene is just him and Mikey jumping into the "The Douche Mobile" (thanks, Tim!), and hauling ass.

So, Zachariah makes his move and tries to kill Boyd.  Almost had him too.  I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of him either.

Katherine killing Sea Bass was a good reminder that she is just as dangerous as the rest of them, and that if/when Avery vs. Katherine happens, it might be very interesting.  Both have their strengths and weaknesses, and I'm curious to see how that will play out.

I continue to really find it almost impossible for Ava to make it out in one piece.  She just seems to be digger herself deeper into this. At this point, her best hope would be going back to jail.  I would be amazed if she leaves Harlan and this show alive, otherwise.

I wish we could just get these last four episodes now! 

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 1

The only thing I was really wishing for was a Mags/Avery showdown. I have to say that Loretta was a very close second to that wish. I'm really hoping she makes it out alive and ends up running Harlan's weed business. 

I also really want Wynn to survive. He just seems like the type to do so, which means on this show he's probably a goner. I wonder if Katherine and Avery would go against each other if they found out the other actually wasn't the snitch. If they teamed up completely that could be scary.

I don't think Ava is making it out alive and I doubt Boyd will. I'm still not sure about Raylan.

I was never sure that this was the kind of show that could really kill off its main characters, simply because I think the show liked Boyd and Raylan too much to do so. Now I don't really know what's going to happen, but it looks like Boyd's people are fleeing from him. Ava's clearly playing both sides to cover herself, but I can buy that she'd do that more than what she was doing in the beginning of the season, because I believe that her disappointment in Boyd's inability to just forget about Markham's money was real. And now Wynn Duffy is a rat again, of course.

Maybe it really does end with Raylan just succeeding at putting Boyd away, and then Loretta takes over as the crime boss in Harlan? Could it be as simple as that?

Loretta was great, and I'm hoping that the public nature of her actions means that she's essentially safe. It would be too obvious what happened if she dies; that's why Markham asked about relatives. Still, he might get desperate enough.

Boon did nothing but annoy me. Really, I don't need new characters at this point, and Ty was much more interesting with his levels of gray.

I'm glad that Boyd didn't die in the mine; it didn't seem the right way. Not that I want him to die; I just expect it at this point.

Edited by justmehere
  • Love 2

Oh, good, Jonathan Tucker is here to creep me out again.

My favorite scene was at the pizza parlor. Everyone in that room hated each other which I found hilarious.

Loretta made a dangerous move, but I give her points for having brass balls.

The only good thing about Sea Bass was that he decided to get revenge for Avery abandoning Ty. He will always be Will from Party of Five to me!

• Love 4

Down at Marriott Worldwide Headquarters, the bean counters must be saying "Why are our guests in Lexington the biggest slobs on the planet? Look at the housekeeping costs!!!!"

It would be a nice shout back for Loretta to poison Boon. Hope it happens.

What would be great is that, after all these violent criminals go through all their machinations to corner the cannabis cultivation in Harlan County, in anticipation of legalization, that, in the final episode,  Phillip Morris and U.S. Tobacco announce they are transitioning into weed, and with their economies of scale, nobody can really compete with them, rendering the Great Harlan Ganja Play irrelevant. It would be like one of my favorite scenes from "The Sopranos" where Pauly and another made guy try to sell protection to a local Starbucks outlet, and the incredulous 19 year old manager patiently explains to them how ridiculous and pointless their criminal endeavor is.

Edited by Bannon
  • Love 2

What was with Avery's flop over onto the couch when Katherine shot Seabass? It made me think for a second that he'd somehow been shot. I guess he was trying to get out of a potential line of fire, but his timing was way off.

You can see it in the gif from Katherine's first shot.

If Loretta were older, she and Boyd would definitely be Harlan's power couple. That scene at the party was just fantastic.  Little Mags, indeed.

I hope that Mikey gets to act on his code, and hip Boyd or someone to Duffy being a rat.  

Sam Elliott, as Avery Markham saying the words, "Simpatico" and "Fiancee" is as silver tongued as Boyd.  I'll forgive the lack of mustache.

Raylan loses this battle, but will he win the war?  I don't think so. Fangirl me is rooting for Team Boyd, but after last night, I'm also on Team Loretta.

I'd have bet Katherine & Loretta would outlast them all, with Raylan heading to Florida. I can't figure what'll happen to Ava & Boyd, but Carl is Boyd's Samwise Gamgee & deserves to LIVE!

It was a nice touch that Boyd told Carl to save himself, after handing Boyd the rock hammer, and then Boyd was so menacing when he next saw Eva. The writers and Goggins have done a nice job, from the beginning of season 1, of showing that Boyd has his twisted admirable qualities, while never losing sight of the fact that, at his core, he is never far away from being despicable.

Edited by Bannon
  • Love 4

I was really hoping Boyd and Ava would forget about the money, partner up and adopt Loretta, and live happily ever after as one awesome little crime family.

Throughout this whole season I've been perfectly okay with the idea of Boyd getting killed until last night when he was almost killed.  I'm not going to like that at all, although I was a little less fond of him when he went after Ava all crazy-like.

I'm not sure how Rachel can be so pissed at Raylan.  It's not his fault that Boyd didn't blast all the way through.  Raylan's been pretty good this season about doing his job the right way.  She assumed he slept with Ava when he didn't and got mad about it, she's mad at him now for Boyd not stealing the money (even though he tried the way he was supposed to)....  I usually like Rachel but if she's going to be mad at Raylan I'd rather it be when he deserves it.

• Love 4

I was really hoping Boyd and Ava would forget about the money, partner up and adopt Loretta, and live happily ever after as one awesome little crime family.

Throughout this whole season I've been perfectly okay with the idea of Boyd getting killed until last night when he was almost killed.  I'm not going to like that at all, although I was a little less fond of him when he went after Ava all crazy-like.

I'm not sure how Rachel can be so pissed at Raylan.  It's not his fault that Boyd didn't blast all the way through.  Raylan's been pretty good this season about doing his job the right way.  She assumed he slept with Ava when he didn't and got mad about it, she's mad at him now for Boyd not stealing the money (even though he tried the way he was supposed to)....  I usually like Rachel but if she's going to be mad at Raylan I'd rather it be when he deserves it.

I'm sure the US Attorney is barking to Rachel's boss in D.C., and the D.C. boss is in turn barking at Rachel, about all the resources devoted without desired results, and management has thought from the start that Raylan doesn't push Eva hard enough, even if Raylan isn't sleeping with her again. Bureaucracies are the same everywhere, even when individual managers are competent. Sh*t always rolls downhill.

• Love 1

I agree that Rachel's displeasure with Raylan is misplaced. I also think it's a common freshman flaw in new managers. She's getting pressure from above, probably, and is directing it downward whenever there's an apparent setback. It's annoying, but unless the show wanted to make her unrealistically perfect as a chief deputy, it is smart characterization to have her act this way.

• Love 5

I think Markham would try to have Loretta killed, and he will end up dead instead.  If Loretta is the one who kills him, she has an easy built in self-defense.  Young girl defending herself against a known criminal who has had his thugs threaten her.

I still believe Raylan, Boyd, and Ava are dead by the end of the season.  Wynn may manage to slither out alive again.

The only good thing about Sea Bass was that he decided to get revenge for Avery abandoning Ty. He will always be Will from Party of Five to me! 

He will always be Archie from ER to me.  

SO glad Boyd didn't die.  I was feeling claustrophobic, myself.  Go Loretta (and, I agree with Bannon--Loretta should poison Boon and it would be a nice tribute to Mags. Wait, "nice?" Well, you know what I mean.) 

Edited by gryphon
  • Love 1

I think Markham would try to have Loretta killed, and he will end up dead instead.  If Loretta is the one who kills him, she has an easy built in self-defense.  Young girl defending herself against a known criminal who has had his thugs threaten her.

I still believe Raylan, Boyd, and Ava are dead by the end of the season.  Wynn may manage to slither out alive again.

Unless Elmore Leonard spoke with Yost and the writers about having Raylan killed off prior to Leonard passing away, I don't think they would take that approach. I could be completely wrong about this, of course, but it just seems to me vaguely wrong to kill off the central character in several Leonard novels without the creator's input.

• Love 1

The Loretta speech felt like a callback to S2 when Boyd was making those mining speeches. It was as much as stating that she'll be the new Boyd in Harlan.

Go Loretta! Won't be a surprise for me if someone ends up apple pied...all the better if it's crazy-eyed Boon.

• Love 3

How many brains have been splattered on that hotel room's wall? I've lost count. They should just wallpaper it with plastic sheets.

Can't remember the last time I watch a show where I feared/hoped half the characters were about to get a bullet in the head at any given moment of the episode. Well, it was probably this very show.

I really feared for Ava this time, near the end. Boyd was truly mad, I thought he might go off in a fit of rage. Wherever Zachariah is hiding, is not far enough. I did get a laugh at Raylan though, when he admitted he didn't consider Boyd might fail.

Last week I randomly caught the very first episode of this show, and for a moment I wondered whether it wouldn't be Ava herself who'd end up killing Boyd, just like she tried in her dinning room, the way she killed Bowman Crowder. But At this point, I think it's fair to say no one's has any idea who'll make it out of Harlan alive. This show might have the guts to kill that very character you thought for sure would make.

As long as it's not Loretta. Please show, just not Loretta.

eta: also laughed at Rachel's line: "To think there was a time I was excited to get the big office." Well, haven't you been paying attention to Art for the last couple of years? NOBODY wanted that job.

Edited by minamurray78
  • Love 2

I also have my doubts that the show will kill Raylon off out of respect for Elmore Leonard though I suppose he could have signed off on it before he died. I also wonder if Ava will die because they're making her appear so doomed. I'm not getting the point of Ty & Sea Bass unless there was some clue in Ty's cryptic last words. The Katherine with the purse thing was funny but it made Sea Bass seem like an even bigger dumb ass. Avery''s stunned expression was interesting. I wasn't surprised Wynn was the stooge. The best scenes were him, Raylon and Art and him and Mike.

• Love 1

I also have my doubts that the show will kill Raylon off out of respect for Elmore Leonard though I suppose he could have signed off on it before he died. I also wonder if Ava will die because they're making her appear so doomed. I'm not getting the point of Ty & Sea Bass unless there was some clue in Ty's cryptic last words. The Katherine with the purse thing was funny but it made Sea Bass seem like an even bigger dumb ass. Avery''s stunned expression was interesting. I wasn't surprised Wynn was the stooge. The best scenes were him, Raylon and Art and him and Mike.

It would have been a real shift in Leonard's style of storytelling, to have the central protagonist killed off. I've read dozens of his books, and I can't remember him doing it, but there are some books I haven't read, or I could be misremembering. 

He will always be Archie from ER to me

Whatsamatter with you folks, he's Malarkey from Band of Brothers!

Back on point; Loretta has always been awesome.  Like others, I was really, really hoping she was about to offer Boon some Apple Pah.

And as someone else pointed out, what the hell are they doing introducing new characters at this point?  Stop it, show - just start tying up some of these millions of loose ends, please.

• Love 3

That's one hell of a full-service hotel Avery and Katherine are staying at. I can't get maid service to clean blood and brains off the wall to save my life. Like, literally, to save my life.

Oh, hi, I'm Robert Durst.

• Love 8

Whatsamatter with you folks, he's Malarkey from Band of Brothers!

Back on point; Loretta has always been awesome.  Like others, I was really, really hoping she was about to offer Boon some Apple Pah.

And as someone else pointed out, what the hell are they doing introducing new characters at this point?  Stop it, show - just start tying up some of these millions of loose ends, please.

Yeah, although I guess they do need some henchmen/ other minor players for some of the action and Choo Choo, Seabass, and Ty all already came and went. 

According to Graham Yost, this is partly the result of filming logistics.  They really wanted Garrett Dillahunt, but he was only available to film until Christmas, due to a Netflix series.  So Ty Walker had to bite the dust, and Avery had to bring in someone else.

• Love 1

According to Graham Yost, this is partly the result of filming logistics.  They really wanted Garrett Dillahunt, but he was only available to film until Christmas, due to a Netflix series.  So Ty Walker had to bite the dust, and Avery had to bring in someone else.

I wonder if Yost and Co. ever kicked around writing  a part for Ian McShane, not as an antagonist for Raylan (which woud have triggered way too many comparisons with the last time McShane and Olyphant shared screen time) but as a wholly sympathetic character working with Raylan? Eh, it likely would have been a bad idea as well. The Bullock/Swearingen relationship was so memorable that it might have been distracting to see the two actors working off each other in a different fashion, no matter the quality of writing and acting.

• Love 1

I wonder if Yost and Co. ever kicked around writing  a part for Ian McShane, not as an antagonist for Raylan (which woud have triggered way too many comparisons with the last time McShane and Olyphant shared screen time) but as a wholly sympathetic character working with Raylan? Eh, it likely would have been a bad idea as well. The Bullock/Swearingen relationship was so memorable that it might have been distracting to see the two actors working off each other in a different fashion, no matter the quality of writing and acting.

I predicted in another thread that he's going to show up to play Grubes, the guy that Ava and Boyd told Walker about.

• Love 1

What was with Avery's flop over onto the couch when Katherine shot Seabass? It made me think for a second that he'd somehow been shot. I guess he was trying to get out of a potential line of fire, but his timing was way off.

You can see it in the gif from Katherine's first shot.

It is a realistic reaction to a gun unexpectedly going off particularly since it happened so quickly he would not have known who shot in that moment and would have, in that fraction of a moment, thought Seabass shot Katherine. 

So it's  not just me then, 'cause I thought for sure Avery had been shot the way he leaned over.  I thought maybe the bulled had ricocheted and hit him.  He's no Duffy, that's for sure.  Duffy would have just sat there blinked.

I've got a baaaaad feeling about that crazy fucker Boon.  Raylan's got a bad feeling about him, too, and that makes me fear for Raylan.  Maybe Loretta will poison him.  I could see her enticing him in her home, getting him all hot and bothered and offering him some apple pie. 

Edited by Ohwell

Loretta! Loved her speech at the pizza place. Bam.

All she needed was to invite all the folks to a "whoop-dee-do" at her place! I have never been fond of surly Loretta but loved her channeling of the late, lamented Mags.

I agree with Art that seeing Winn Duffy in a banana hammock was high on my list of things I never wanted to see.

it makes me nervous that Raylan's underestimating him

I'm a little nervous too, especially after all the anvilicious dialogue this season about how Raylan is overconfident, his luck can't hold forever, his time will come, etc. Then they bring in this hired gun late in the season and take great pains to show us he's a very quick draw. And as you say, Raylan doesn't seem to be taking him seriously.. 

Loretta just annoys me at this point. I think Raylan has earned a little more respect from her than she shows him.

I love seeing Art out in the field. You can see that he had a lot of Raylan in him back in the day.

• Love 3

Something I just noticed this season, does Joelle Carter have a neck injury or is her body tilted to the left a little?  Maybe one leg longer or something?

Edited by Unclejosh

You know who Boon reminds me of? Deadwood's Jack McCall. Yeah, I'm nervous for Raylan. If there's any scene in the next few episodes with Raylan humiliating Boon but letting him live, I'm calling it: Boon shoots Raylan in the back. 

• Love 3

Something I just noticed this season, does Joelle Carter have a neck injury or is her body tilted to the left a little?  Maybe one leg longer or something?

I noticed she'd picked up that shoulder hitch while in prison last season - which made *some* sense with it getting dislocated (twice). *Some*, as yeah, you're going to favor it - for awhile. This has been longer than awhile.

That's one hell of a full-service hotel Avery and Katherine are staying at. I can't get maid service to clean blood and brains off the wall to save my life. Like, literally, to save my life.

Oh, hi, I'm Robert Durst.

And now I need maid service to come clean up the coffee I just spit all over my keyboard.  Good one.

• Love 1

Wow, a LOT happened! It's sad to think that this wonderful journey will be all over in just FOUR more episodes. Bummer. So far, I've loved every minute of it -- yes, even the god-awful 5th season. I will miss this show dearly.

I hope to god Mikey does not end up killing Wynn Duffy. Mikey's anguish was palpable (still cute, though -- yes, I'm shallow). 

I don't mind getting a new character, but I will be p@ssed if he ends up killing Raylan, Boyd, Wynn, Avery, Katherine, Loretta, or Ava (or any other major character). Please don't do that to us, show!

• Love 2