Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

I think even fundies would frown upon that for a second kid, so by default, it's going to be either Michael or Ashley, whoever gets knocked up first (I don't think they'll be able to get away with more than one of these free-for-alls). 

• Love 1

I imagine boys graduate later because they're sent out to work with Daddy starting in their early teens.  They've shown Trace working in the tree business. The same holds true for the Duggar boys, now that they're down to the mass of Howlers trying to pass the GED. (Good luck with that.)

• Love 1

There was a recent episode of Bringing up Bates where Kelly took Trace shopping for clothes and they talked about him graduating in December, which must have meant December, 2015. I was confused because it seemed odd for someone to graduate from high school in December rather than spring, but I assume he must have been behind so was graduating in December rather than the prior June. Could be that Trace graduated last December and Carlin is graduating this spring but they are having a combined party. Still doesn't explain why Trace would be behind in graduating. 

Someone on FJ mentioned that Carlin will be (might be?) attending PCC in the fall. That would be an interesting development, since it's almost a real college. 

Assuming PCC stands for Pensacola Christian College, it's not much more of a real college than Clown College. It just has more majors. But nothing is accredited.

• Love 2

It's Big Sandy time again, y'all! Check out the riveting list of speakers and speeches. No Duggars this year, only Bateseseseses and TFDW, whose job title is now "Director of ATI," ORLY?????

http://familyconferences.org/events/family-conference/big-sandy-2016/

eta: Favorite speech title: "Beware of Pitching Your Tent Toward Sodom"  by the Bateseseseses. Because I'm 12. :D

One way information valve helping them all look like idiots. 'Hey girls, line up and put big pickles in your mouth for a photo op'. 

I live here in Pensacola, and honestly PCC is just a fundy holding area, albeit in a beautiful beach city!  The campus is right smack in the middle of town and you can walk to any type of food, shopping, etc in minutes, so it's very easy for them to get around.  The "skirties" (What we call the females because of their long skirts) are very polite and don't cause any trouble, no preaching on street corners or handing out tracts instead of tips.  They tend to do fine in the community until their classroom servitude is done and they go back to where they came from.  They do however clog up the aisles in Sam's Club on Sundays with scarfing down the free samples.  

Actual education at PCC is the last item on the list for students.  

I actually went there for Kindergarten and 1st grade, as they had one of the best primary schools in this part of the state.  Very little fundy stuff back then in the early 70's.  They were extremely focused on phonics and early mathematics and very little on Jesus.  Strange.     

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 4

They were extremely focused on phonics and early mathematics and very little on Jesus. Strange.

I've heard that the very early math portions of Abeka are fine. However, I've read their fifth grade "science" book and it specifically states that dinosaurs not only lived with human being as we know them but also that the little buggers breathed fire. Dinosaurs breathed fire, y'all. So not only do they believe that Jesus rode a dinosaur but it may have breathed fire. Where was a fire breathing dinosaur when you need them to make bacon out of pesky Romans?

Edited by FakeJoshDuggar
  • Love 13

I've heard that the very early math portions of Abeka are fine. However, I've read their fifth grade "science" book and it specifically states that dinosaurs not only lived with human being as we know them but also that the little buggers breathed fire. Dinosaurs breathed fire, y'all. So not only do they believe that Jesus rode a dinosaur but it may have breathed fire. Where was a fire breathing dinosaur when you need them to make bacon out of pesky Romans?

I guess when one very proudly denies the basic tenets of anatomy and biology, there's nothing stopping one from imagining a creature that doesn't somehow incinerate his own face when breathing fire.

Edited by Aja
  • Love 8

I guess when one very proudly denies the basic tenets of anatomy and biology, there's nothing stopping one from imagining a creature that doesn't somehow incinerate his own face when breathing fire.

Don't get me started on my FIL who completely believes that dinosaur bones are a conspiracy theory and that archeologists made the bones out of plaster of Paris in their basements. <- Verbatim. You can't make this shit up.

• Love 11

Don't get me started on my FIL who completely believes that dinosaur bones are a conspiracy theory and that archeologists made the bones out of plaster of Paris in their basements. <- Verbatim. You can't make this shit up.

Oh so your FIL knows my SIL who says that it rains when God decides that it's dry down here. And Jesus rode a dinosaur but she never said it breathed fire. So....if he had a fire-breathing dinosaur why couldn't he have told those Romans where to get off?

The Bateseses don't make my skin crawl like the Duggars but there is such a fine distinction that it almost doesn't exist. They all still cling to their crazy ways and now TFDW is large and in charge? Shouldn't they now be called "Wallerites"? Or "Wallies" or "Wallerists" or well the ever useful "Dumbasses".

Edited by Chicklet
  • Love 7

Suppose one of the fellowshipper didn't believe the same things? Do they fall in line completely? What if one is into abuse/discipline, but not the young earth. Do they keep their opinions to themselves and tell their kids to keep it secret at the camp? 

I have to lol at that science curriculum.. Duh, Dragons lived with man and breathed fire, dinosaurs are really super old.  :)

• Love 2

eta: Favorite speech title: "Beware of Pitching Your Tent Toward Sodom"  by the Bateseseseses. Because I'm 12. :D

I suspect thinking about Sodom makes many fundies pitch a tent.  Only they would miss the problem with that title.  (A.k.a. I'm twelve too.)

• Love 10

I suspect thinking about Sodom makes many fundies pitch a tent.  Only they would miss the problem with that title.  (A.k.a. I'm twelve too.)

Can you just picture the Alert groups organizing pitching tents, Also 12 Hey you guys wanna pitch our tents here? No it's too close to the girls. Who wants to pitch a tent around girls. 

• Love 4

Haha! I am 12 too! Although I probably would have been ignorant too at 12, still in the depths of fundy brainwashing. That is just too hilarious.

According to their blog, Trace and Carlin are over a year apart in age (Feb 1997 and April 1998). Why are the both graduating at the same time? 

It seems to be common in homeschooling families for people to graduate at different times. Although in the circles I moved in, it was trendy to graduate at 14 or 15. I remember being embarrassed once to have to tell a friend who asked that I was graduating at 17. I just didn't have the drive to finish so early, because honestly, it was something to do and how was I going to fill my time otherwise?

Suppose one of the fellowshipper didn't believe the same things? Do they fall in line completely? What if one is into abuse/discipline, but not the young earth. Do they keep their opinions to themselves and tell their kids to keep it secret at the camp? 

I have to lol at that science curriculum.. Duh, Dragons lived with man and breathed fire, dinosaurs are really super old.  :)

If you don't believe in a very young earth, then you're not a true fundy, would be my answer. So probably if the Abeka curriculum appeals to you, you'll be fine with their agenda.

If you haven't seen the Creationism Museum episode, I cannot recommend it highly enough. The stupid from all sides is overwhelming.

• Love 4

It seems to be common in homeschooling families for people to graduate at different times. Although in the circles I moved in, it was trendy to graduate at 14 or 15. I remember being embarrassed once to have to tell a friend who asked that I was graduating at 17. I just didn't have the drive to finish so early, because honestly, it was something to do and how was I going to fill my time otherwise?

If you don't believe in a very young earth, then you're not a true fundy, would be my answer. So probably if the Abeka curriculum appeals to you, you'll be fine with their agenda.

We homeschool and yes it is common to graduate at different times but usually they don't graduate that late, i.e. he will be over 19. The graduation times of his siblings seem on track so it doesn't seem to be a function of the general disregard for education you see with the Duggars. If his birthday was later I would say they just started him later to allow for more maturity. One on my kids will graduate later because she has some learning issues and a summer birthday making her younger than other kids in her official grade. But he is smack in the middle, age wise. 

• Love 1

Yes, indeedy, with Mullet gushing,"There IS a Creator!!!!"

I am embarrassed that this joke of a 'museum' is in my general vicinity, as will be The Ark, which is still under construction.

An acquaintance of mine went to the Creation Museum and said at one part, when describing The Great Flood, little devices on the seats squirt water on the audience to give the them a sense of the flood. I had to laugh at that one : 'special effects' = NOT SO SPECIAL.

That episode had me rolling my eyes in disbelief ...that anyone could be so ignorant.

LOL...yes, these people really believe that Adam and Eve rode to church on their brontosaurus .

Most people who believe in a Creator do not believe the earth is 6000 years old and that dinosaurs were a means of locomotion. It's insulting to many people of faith to imply that they aren't true believers if they think the Creation Museum is a joke.

That was pretty much the extent of science class in Duggarland!

• Love 5

Sounds like the friends and family have very little in the way of differences. They all believe the same thing. Imagine in your own life, if every person you were friends with or married into the family shared the same politics, religion, philosophy, taste in clothing and music etc. what's the point of leaving the compound? There is no texture to their lives. 

• Love 10
Do you think Carlin's comment means that he's jealous that Lawson has his own money? You would think he's be upset with his father for failing to provide and leaving it up to his brother, but it almost sounds like he thought Lawson should be sharing his wealth more. 

I recently read that Lawson is engaged/courting to a girl with at job who lives in NYC. Maybe he'll escape. 

Answering here, per mod's request. Carlin is actually a girl, and therefore doesn't have money, in accordance with their belief system. And from what we've seen on the show, Lawson's girlfriend likely would move to Tennessee. I see her as a Marjorie type, though -- she's very bold and outgoing, and I think she quite liked being filmed. But she seems to love her life in NYC and I cannot imagine her being happy in Tennessee. So we'll see. Also, I found it hilarious that the Bateses had no idea that boots are trendy. They thought Lawson's girlfriend had never worn boots because she lives in NYC. Then, pan to a shot of her in boots. His gift of cowboy boots was beyond random and she clearly did not like them.

• Love 2

Answering here, per mod's request. Carlin is actually a girl, and therefore doesn't have money, in accordance with their belief system. And from what we've seen on the show, Lawson's girlfriend likely would move to Tennessee. I see her as a Marjorie type, though -- she's very bold and outgoing, and I think she quite liked being filmed. But she seems to love her life in NYC and I cannot imagine her being happy in Tennessee. So we'll see. Also, I found it hilarious that the Bateses had no idea that boots are trendy. They thought Lawson's girlfriend had never worn boots because she lives in NYC. Then, pan to a shot of her in boots. His gift of cowboy boots was beyond random and she clearly did not like them.

Ahem. The boy in question is not Lawson but Nathan.........

• Love 4

Most people who believe in a Creator do not believe the earth is 6000 years old and that dinosaurs were a means of locomotion. It's insulting to many people of faith to imply that they aren't true believers if they think the Creation Museum is a joke.

Thank you so much for this. It is amazing how many people don't realize that you can be a person of faith and believe that God created the earth but not believe the kind of dreck these people are spouting.  

• Love 8

Thank you so much for this. It is amazing how many people don't realize that you can be a person of faith and believe that God created the earth but not believe the kind of dreck these people are spouting.  

I grew up in an extremely religious household. My grandfather was a Lutheran minister. And I don't recall ever once being told in church or Sunday school that science was, in any way, shape or form, wrong. I'm no longer religious for many a reason, but one thing I can say for the Christianity and Christians I grew up with--they liked knowing stuff.

Edited by Aja
  • Love 10

I'm so embarrassed. I only just now realized what was so funny about pitching a tent, duh.  I am not even 12 years old I guess. I am only like 9.  I need these things explained to me.

I don't get it either. I even looked up the bible reference. Help. I'm 6.

• Love 5

As in pitch a tent, in your pants, applies to men only.

I tried to find an example photo to post but they were all pretty - dare I say it? - defrauding, so I'll just say if you want examples you can go to Google Image search and type in "Pants Tent."  (warning: you will not be able to unsee some of the images that will come up - no pun intended)

• Love 6

As in pitch a tent, in your pants, applies to men only.

I tried to find an example photo to post but they were all pretty - dare I say it? - defrauding, so I'll just say if you want examples you can go to Google Image search and type in "Pants Tent." (warning: you will not be able to unsee some of the images that will come up - no pun intended)

Hahaha. Thanks, NikSac. Nope, now I don't need a picture. Edited by Love2dance
  • Love 3

I don't get it either. I even looked up the bible reference. Help. I'm 6.

I just googled "bible pitch a tent" and got more references than I would have guessed. Wonder how many snickers are snuffed during some sermons.

"He pitched his tent among us." John 1:14

• Love 7

I just googled "bible pitch a tent" and got more references than I would have guessed. Wonder how many snickers are snuffed during some sermons.

"He pitched his tent among us." John 1:14

Almost as good as "Two women shall be grinding together" Luke 17:35 (KJV)

Though most translations seem to specify grain at the mill.

• Love 9

Sounds like the friends and family have very little in the way of differences. They all believe the same thing. Imagine in your own life, if every person you were friends with or married into the family shared the same politics, religion, philosophy, taste in clothing and music etc. what's the point of leaving the compound? There is no texture to their lives.

Nope. They're all like a big ol bucket of room temperature lard.
  • Love 9

http://rodriguesfamilyministries.com/main/?p=2505

And now JillR knows that there is no such thing as transgendered! Of course, she would never read what science has to say!

These people spout off the word – “FREEDOM”!! They want freedom to sin, but they do not want Christian’s to have the freedom to do what WE feel is best………….based on God’s Word – the Bible. They call us hateful and prejudice……………….but what are they doing to us when they strip away our freedom to believe what WE think is right?? It is a mixed up world!! God is NOT the author of confusion, SATAN is………….and he sure has made a mess of things lately (as always!!). 1Co 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion,

Satan must be confusing me because I can't see who's stripping away the freedom for Jill and other Christian's [sic] to believe any nonsense they want, including that punctuation exists to decorate the page. 

• Love 11

Satan must be confusing me because I can't see who's stripping away the freedom for Jill and other Christian's [sic] to believe any nonsense they want, including that punctuation exists to decorate the page.

I'm glad her right to make idiotic laughing stocks of herself and her roly poly love god, as well as openly advertise the abuse her children suffer at her hands, has not been infringed upon. It's only a matter of time.
  • Love 9

And now JillR knows that there is no such thing as transgendered! Of course, she would never read what science has to say!

And of course she had to drag out this old trope:

bold mine

"These people spout off the word – “FREEDOM”!! They want freedom to sin, but they do not want Christian’s to have the freedom to do what WE feel is best………….based on God’s Word – the Bible. They call us hateful and prejudice……………….but what are they doing to us when they strip away our freedom to believe what WE think is right?? It is a mixed up world!! God is NOT the author of confusion, SATAN is………….and he sure has made a mess of things lately (as always!!). 1Co 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion,"

Yeah! And let's keep Christ in Christmas!

Edited by NewDigs
  • Love 2

If you haven't seen the Creationism Museum episode, I cannot recommend it highly enough. The stupid from all sides is overwhelming.

It must be a lot like an adult going to a Disney park and thinking Mickey is a real talking mouse. 

• Love 7

Of course not! For, said J-Rod, leftists love science!

OK...that's a slap to people of faith who also embrace science....

Not to mention the meme is insulting to those born with the genitalia and/or reproductive organs of both genders. They are far too ignorant to realize this is possible. It is also insulting to transgendered people who suffer terribly to try to be who they feel they are. I know a young person going through this right now and she suffers greatly to get to be who she is.

The Rodriguii don't see the real people they club with their sanctimony.

• Love 11

With so many Bible imposed, and self-imposed restrictions, why do Fundies think it's okay to consume caffeine?

I suppose it's okay as long as you don't make an idol of it, like Terrified and her Pepsi "addiction." 

• Love 4