Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

8 minutes ago, Fuzzysox said:

That's for the info! I had no idea Prissy is pregnant. 

I think P & D announced just in the last couple of days.  Someone could send Mechelle a chart like this, she was saying how hard it was to keep up with the pregnancies in the family 🤦‍♀️

• LOL 8
2 hours ago, Zahdii said:

A poster on FJ swears that a friend of hers saw the family not too long ago at a pizza parlor in Ohio.  The timing is right because Jill said they were in Ohio during that time and they went out to pizza.

The only thing I remember about the sighting is that the poster mentioned that the whole family huddled together to order their pizza, and the kids didn't acknowledge the people waiting in line around them.  I don't recall a mention of the kids being fearful or anything like that, but it sounded more like the kids had surrounded themselves in a bubble and didn't appear to want any kind of interaction with anyone else.

Maybe the kids were trying to read the pizza names with all those foreign words like pepperoni.  

Since they probably planned to order only one pizza, David's and Jill's favorite, the kids were probably just staring longingly at the menu.

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, Fuzzysox said:

That's for the info! I had no idea Prissy is pregnant. 

And just think, by this time next year Nurie Rodriguez Keller will be able to jump into the line-up of Keller grandchild pregnancies!  Of course she will only be a sister-in-law to the three sisters.

1 hour ago, Libby96 said:

And just think, by this time next year Nurie Rodriguez Keller will be able to jump into the line-up of Keller grandchild pregnancies!  Of course she will only be a sister-in-law to the three sisters.

I'm calling it that the firstborn daughter will be named Jill. Or some variant thereof. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 9

Sadie looked scared.I can imagine,as I was always afraid of those dipping pools as a child,or whatever you call them,at baptist churches.I went to a methodist church,where they sprinkle water over your head,which should be sufficient,imo.And even then,not until you are older,like 12 or so.

They do baby christenings,but again,it's the same way

Edited by sondraK
  • Love 11

I’m sorry, I just can’t with this shit. Poor little skinny waif getting dunked by her father to cleanse her of her “sins”?

That is just ALL KINDS of fucked up. 😡

P.S. Where’s CPS for this kind of crap?

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 14
10 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

I’m sorry, I just can’t with this shit. Poor little skinny waif getting dunked by her father to cleanse her of her “sins”?

That is just ALL KINDS of fucked up. 😡

P.S. Where’s CPS for this kind of crap?

What sins? Eating an extra skittle or piece of gum at her birthday?

David was an adult when he was baptized. He made a choice. It's a good thing he stayed alive as long as he did considering all that childhood sin he was carrying around. 

Now, he's a spoiled man who stuffs his face while his children sit hungry, who reads the bible instead of working steadily to support his family, who fathers children he can't afford, who allows his children to be isolated and uneducated. Maybe he'll have some more fessing up to do someday. (Rant over.)

• Love 16

What in the world is that poor child wearing?  An ill fitting pink formal dress over a worse fitting gray tee shirt?  Would it have killed them to get her something special to wear to celebrate her baptism?  My heart aches for those kids.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, galaxychaser said:

What sins? Eating an extra skittle or piece of gum at her birthday?

Oh, way worse than that. She might have felt a touch of resentment at some point.  It might have crossed her mind that something about their treatment was less that utterly fair and loving. She might even have felt a twinge of anger toward one of her godlier than godly parents at some point. I'm sure that "honor thy father and thy mother" is stressed every bit as much as ultimate service toward God in their world. And I shudder to think how any Rod kid would feel if they ever actually had a moment of doubt about God Himself. I'm sure Sadie is too young for her mind to extend that far outside her circle of influence, but I do have to wonder if there is any way that one of the older children might ever be brave enough to go there.

• Love 2

She’s SIX, FFS!!! She can’t even spell “sin.” She’s just learning that the path to her parents’ approval lies in ignoring her own feelings and fears and letting them waterboard her because it makes them look godlier in front of the other cultfucks.

I hope her parents die ugly. This is just WRONG.

Fuck that first picture really does look like drowning murder. 😞

Not because they are good parents or anything, I'm actually surprised the Rodrigues family is baptizing a child that young and inside. 

The churches I went to as a child--which were officially non denominational but as an adult I realize they were probably Pentecostal--were usually hesitant to baptize a child (I asked to be baptized when I was 8 and it provoked quite a debate about my age), and all baptisms were in a river or else, regardless of the time of year. 

I would have thought as holier than thou as Jill liked to be that she would insisted it had to be a in river. 😞

Because I'm a Boardwalk Empire fan, I'm just glad Nelson Van Alden wasn't doing the honors. . . .

901231587_parisgreen.thumb.jpg.440eaa5f6c5b67bdf868c1cb6f86f3f0.jpg

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

Immersion baptism isn’t done for forgiveness of sins. Baptism is an act of faith and obedience to the commands of Christ. It’s a public confession of your faith in Christ and desire to follow Him. It also is symbolic of the resurrection. When a person is baptized it’s indicating death to an old life and embracing a new life in Jesus. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, Tigregirl said:

What in the world is that poor child wearing?  An ill fitting pink formal dress over a worse fitting gray tee shirt?  Would it have killed them to get her something special to wear to celebrate her baptism?  My heart aches for those kids.

That pink jumper reminds me of a sleeveless, backwards kimono.

• LOL 1
9 minutes ago, Lukeysboat said:

Immersion baptism isn’t done for forgiveness of sins. Baptism is an act of faith and obedience to the commands of Christ. It’s a public confession of your faith in Christ and desire to follow Him. It also is symbolic of the resurrection. When a person is baptized it’s indicating death to an old life and embracing a new life in Jesus. 

She’s SIX YEARS OLD. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 13

That first picture is terrifying. Frail, emaciated little girl making a futile attempt to pull back the hand of the giant man who is smothering her.

Most pictures of baptisms don’t look like that. That this family didn’t notice how bad this picture happens to be says something. 

• Love 14
5 minutes ago, Panopticon said:

That first picture is terrifying. Frail, emaciated little girl making a futile attempt to pull back the hand of the giant man who is smothering her.

Most pictures of baptisms don’t look like that. That this family didn’t notice how bad this picture happens to be says something. 

That was my reaction. If they don't want her getting water up her nose, SHE can pinch her nose shut. She shouldn't be under long enough for it to be that bad if she doesn't hold it closed enough. But yeah, those blurry photos of her being smothered by her dad are frightening.

• Love 15
18 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Where do they find their godawful clothes? There's better stuff in the Salvation Army's bargain bin. 

I'm sure they get cast-off clothing at the churches where they perform, not to mention the godawful dresses Nurie sews for them. The clothes always seem too big, are always out of style, and the outfits usually don't match. It is possible to dress children appropriately and nicely in hand-me-down clothes, but it does take some parental involvement.

One of things I find very frustrating is that at some point in the baby having process it stops being about growing their family and becomes a race to see how many kids they can collect before their god closes the womb. 

• Love 8

I can't get mad this exactly. Sadie was baptized at age 6. It's a spiritual custom for them. I was baptized as a baby and I prefer sprinkling water over the head, but that's more common in my culture. I'm Catholic. 

As for sins, I had my first Confession/Reconcilation around seven as did everyone else. It's a sacrament and one that you need before Communion. 

Maybe Sadie will become the new favorite when Nurie leaves. She looks like Nurie and I think the favorite will be one of the younger six girls, not the two closest in age to Nurie. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

I'm calling it that the firstborn daughter will be named Jill. Or some variant thereof. 

Jillian, but N & N won’t know the correct pronunciation so the baby will be called Jill-e-an.

• LOL 3
4 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

Jillian, but N & N won’t know the correct pronunciation so the baby will be called Jill-e-an.

What is the correct pronunciation? That's how the only Gillian I know pronounces her name.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Oldernowiser said:

She’s SIX, FFS!!! She can’t even spell “sin.” She’s just learning that the path to her parents’ approval lies in ignoring her own feelings and fears and letting them waterboard her because it makes them look godlier in front of the other cultfucks.

I hope her parents die ugly. This is just WRONG.

Oh, her parents will die ugly.  You can bet on that.

2 minutes ago, Nysha said:

What is the correct pronunciation? That's how the only Gillian I know pronounces her name.

I personally know 2 women named Jillian and they both pronounce it like Jill-yen.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Lukeysboat said:

But what does a six-year-old understand of that, and isn't  a confession of sins and understanding that they are redeemed through accepting Christ as Savior part and parcel of that act of faith? There's always the inherent understanding that one is flawed by the nature of being human.

• Love 8
16 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Julian/Juliana close enough to Jill.

Please no.....I have a niece named Julie who was named after her great-grandmother, Julia.   Julian/Juliana is too close for comfort to me.

• Love 2
On 11/15/2019 at 6:47 AM, farmgal4 said:

That’s an understatement.  I think it’s so disrespectful to Amy that Jill ALWAYS identifies her as a “quadriplegic”.  What if someone always identified you as a batshit crazy, self-centered bitch, Jill?

I mean...we refer to Jill as batshit crazy and self-centered all the time.

Because she is those things.

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Lukeysboat said:

Thank you for that clarification. My thoughts go back to David Waller, who talked about how he recognized his sinful nature at age three and how that led him to Christ. That's quite an insight for a three-year-old unless the people around had instilled the idea that a child is born sinful. I feel poor Sadie may have been raised to believe the same, so I don't see what meaning a baptism that comes from fear or coercion rather than from choice really has. Of course, choice and freewill are not exactly hallmarks of life in the Rodrigues compound, so it probably doesn't make any difference. 

I was raised a Baptist but left long, long ago. The church did have great music, and I still know the words to all the hymns. That's about all I remember. 

• Love 9
1 minute ago, Sew Sumi said:

Isn't Nurthan their couple name? 😁

I can only hope! But they may want to pass it on to their first blessing. Then again, maybe they can remain Nurthan and name the kid Nathrie.

Decisions, decisions, decisions! 

Have I mentioned how mad I am that I have to wait until the summer for this wedding? It is killing me!

• Love 3