Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

I'm sure people do feed them. How could you not? I bet a lot of churches also plan pot luck suppers around their "visits." Failing that, many churches often list if they are sharing a special meal together - so they likely load up the bus and head for those.

• Love 2

My unfavorite fundies, The Rodrigues, are now expecting their 12 or 11th child while still living in a small RV. Mama Jill is now on bed rest,. I really feel for the oldest kids.

How do they make a living? I looked at their site and they seem to have some music group, but that can't be enough to cover their expenses.

• Love 1

If you read the front page of their website it says they are starting a high quality printing service. Looks like they are looking for places to play at then they pass the donation plate around (read that on FJ a long time ago)

They also have a donation button. JIll used to be a hairdresser (I still think she does it for quick cash--most hairdressers do as my SIL used to)

• Love 1

Jill seems VERY intent on finding new places to "visit" so they can "minister." IDK if I had 11 kids the last thing I would be thinking about would be traveling. Sheesh were do they shower and wash their clothes? I sure hope that they get back into a house soon for the kid's sake. They really don't need to live like gypsies always having to look for a new meal ticket errrrr I mean a church that is "hosting" them.

• Love 1

Jill is actually an attractive lady, minus the 80's pink and purple makeup, and the Revlon Frost N Glow highlight job. I'm curious as to how they're going to run a printing business with no office to speak of.

Right!! And if they are traveling how the heck are they going to process orders unless they are running from one FedEx Office to another getting that done? 

****Wait a minute David actually prints his own stuff on a printing machine. Read the explanation here.

http://rodriguesfamilyministries.com/main/?page_id=50

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 1

I hate layers of clothes and never wear them.  Layers, that is, not clothes. I wear clothes.

People look odd to me wearing layers.

I live in Florida.  To me, wearing layers is torture most months of the year. 

I hope those modesty swim dresses are at least made of fabric that is made to swim in like real bathing suits. I can't believe that anyone would swim in denim..that weight a person down in the water. It absolutely is NOT made to get wet...Also, that lake is sweet water, not salt water which doesn't support buoyancy  very well. Everyone knows you sink in sweet water easier than salt water. It's just not safe and it shows little common sense..

The dress aspect of those silly things seriously just doesn't support swimming in any water.  I'll never understand that crap.  I'll bet you wouldn't catch princess Jessa in one of those ugly things ever again.  I'll place money on that!

• Love 1

Liking the Bates more than the Duggars- especially Kelly more than MEchelle.  

I'm a little worried about Zach.  He's so young and seemed to be gaining weight as fast as his wife Whitney. I do give her so much credit for doing a hospital birth and asking for an epidural. I also loved that the doctor said suffering was optional.  So true.  

I loved seeing one of the Bates sisters at the hospital in pajamas!  YES!  

EDIT- because I remembered something else from the episode.  Kelly talked to Whitney about the grand baby - lol- and  mentioned that she didn't know if she could return it after keeping it for a bit.  (as in baby sitting)  It made me think that I have never seen MEchelle baby sit one of her grand babies. (the ones she wants so many of) Hell, she never even watches her own babies.  The differences are amazing.  

EDIT- Sorry, I forgot - she did watch Mac that one time when she scolded her for doing something to Miracle.  That's the only time I remember her keeping her grand babies.  geez!

Edited by truthtalk2014
  • Love 1

On the subject of clothes, sorry TLC is all over the place with what series they show here, but I've just watched the episode where Michelle and the older girls went camping with the Bates older girls.

All the girls went swimming in the lake, some had a black skirt thing over leggings and ordinary t shirts, but I swear a couple of the girls went swimming in denim skirts!! Meant to rewind and watch again but mistakenly deleted it instead.

Denim skirts? Really? Too, too bizarre.

I haven't seen that episode, but isn't that horribly dangerous -- swimming in long denim skirts?

• Love 1

Can we discuss this girl? The family looks like fundies, and the father's response to this poor girls video is very QF/Fundie like. Do the Bates/Duggars know them? Are the rodriguez kids documented?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2950114/American-teenager-citizen-parents-refused-birth-certificate-social-security-number-never-sent-school.html

Sorry mods, if this is the wrong thread.

God, what a mess. The mother is "pretty sure" her daughter has a birth certificate? She either does or she doesn't, how can her parents not remember? The girl also mentions having no medical records, so none of the siblings has ever visited a doctor in their lives? These families get crazier and crazier by the minute.

• Love 1

God, what a mess. The mother is "pretty sure" her daughter has a birth certificate? She either does or she doesn't, how can her parents not remember? The girl also mentions having no medical records, so none of the siblings has ever visited a doctor in their lives? These families get crazier and crazier by the minute.

No kidding... this isn't a question of whether or not the mom can put her hands on a certified piece of paper. Those get lost. It's easy - you just send away for another copy.  But there is no way she doesn't remember if she filed the paperwork when she was born. I had two home births. You remember the paperwork part. You have to fill it out and send it away. Actually for us our midwife took care of the filing part after we filled out the paperwork. A couple of weeks later the birth certificate showed up. At the same time you file for a SSN for the baby. I bet these winners haven't filed taxes all these years either. You can't deduct a child without a SSN. 'As far as she knows' means 'oh I didn't file anything'. 

• Love 1

This is common among gypsies, travelers.  They often wear very long skirts, never register the kids in anything, make the girls into uneducated slaves, and turn the sons ASAP into helping with the scamming driveway asphalt, paint job, etc businesses they do in the cities.   No paper trail whatsoever.  Nothing.  Unless they get a very temporary SSN and a mailing address good for only a few weeks, they don't file taxes or get credits, no accounts, totally off the grid.  If they screw you, you can't find them.

• Love 3

The swim dresses that the Duggars wear are made of bathing suit material. I (don't judge me) did actually look them up once to see if they had kind of a gateway between what I could find in regular stores, and what the super fundies wear (they did not), and they are definitely made of regular swimsuit material. I couldn't say if that's what all the families use, those swim dresses aren't cheap. Also, I can understand why they would want to wear them on TV. I consider myself to be a moderately modest sort, perhaps, and I wouldn't be comfortable wearing a bathing suit, even mine which has wide straps on the top and a skirt on the bottom, on national TV. To the beach, sure, in front of church people, sure, but not on national TV. And we really can't say for sure what all these people do when we're not watching.

Regarding Medicaid which does cover braces - I'm sure that most of the fundie families who are self-"employed" use Medicaid like the aforementioned Rodrigues family, and I don't know if the Duggars did before TV (they probably did), but I'm sure they don't qualify now. The cut-offs can be fairly generous especially as a family grows larger, but not *that* generous.

I am a a retired Eligibility Worker from California and if California Medicaid does not cover any dental work, I am very sure that the southern states do not either.

• Love 2

Where I live if you are on state aid, your dental care consists of getting a filling or having the tooth pulled.  Be grateful they allow novacaine shots during the procedure and antibiotics if needed.  But if you're suffering pain that would require meds after you leave the office, you're out of luck.  You have to go to the emergency room to get them.

No braces, no dentures, no caps.  Need oral surgery?  Good luck with that.  On top of everything else, the last I heard dentists only had to accept a small portion of patients who were on state aid, and they resent the ones they have.  No new patients who don't have good dental insurance.  Been there, done that.

• Love 2

I did a google search for Medicaid and braces coverage before writing my post a few up, and several states showed that they did cover it, though I didn't search every state of the country. We used Medicaid for a mercifully brief period of our child birthing years, and it "covered" dental but most actual dentists didn't accept it, only one that I was aware of that was pretty far away from where we live, plus the dentists who work in the Family Health Centers. We never used regular Medicaid for dental, but when we moved up an income bracket and used a program in Michigan called MI-Child, which had a tiny premium charge and was through Blue Cross, we had regular dental for our kids that dentists accepted and I'm almost positive that covered orthodontics, though our kids weren't old enough to find out before my husband was offered health coverage through his job.

• Love 1

Oh Erin...so much bad grammar in this quote from her. I feel really sorry for these fundie kids who are getting/have gotten such a poor education.

“Jill Duggar has been such an encouragement throughout the pregnancy. I text her every once in a while asking a question, and she’s so sweet. She always gives advice. Last week she was sharing to try to portion my food and eat this many vegetables and drink this much water. So she’s a big help, just knowing that she’s been through the midwife classes. She’s a good friend.”

• Love 3

Oh Erin...so much bad grammar in this quote from her. I feel really sorry for these fundie kids who are getting/have gottensuch a poor education.

I'm not a big grammar whiz, however I'm pretty sure "gotten" isn't even a word. Lol. :)

My bad, just looked it up. Gotten is the past participle of get. :)

Edited by msblossom
  • Love 3

As one of the resident Appalachians, I was about to ask, "what's wrong with gotten? It's not common, but it's not incorrect." :)

I thought it was interesting how deliberately casual she kept things. Texting "every once in awhile" and basically saying nothing is going on now but Keep watching!!!

• Love 1

I use "gotten", and picked it up somewhere along the line in suburban Connecticut when I was young. I always thought it was of pretty widespread usage in the USA (I am originally from England, so it was one of the differences, outside of the actual accent which I had to get used to). Certainly I've never thought of it as a hillbilly thing.

• Love 2

I use "gotten", and picked it up somewhere along the line in suburban Connecticut when I was young. I always thought it was of pretty widespread usage in the USA (I am originally from England, so it was one of the differences, outside of the actual accent which I had to get used to). Certainly I've never thought of it as a hillbilly thing.

I'm from Chicago so the word isn't regional at all.

• Love 2

“Jill Duggar has been such an encouragement throughout the pregnancy. I text her every once in a while asking a question, and she’s so sweet. She always gives advice. Last week she was sharing to try to portion my food and eat this many vegetables and drink this much water. So she’s a big help, just knowing that she’s been through the midwife classes. She’s a good friend.”

I feel bad for snarking on Erin because I do think that she is a nice person  but the sentence in bold doesn't even make sense to me at all. She went to higher ed so its safe to say she is one of the more educated Bates. Yikes :-/. I worry for all the second generation home school kids...at least Boob Michelle/ Gil Kelley had education from real teachers to go off on. 

Edited by yogi2014L
  • Love 2

I'm not hillbilly but I have no trouble understanding Erin.  It's to eat at least x number of vegetable servings and drink y amount of water.

OH ok, so sharing = telling me to 

I think if  I had heard the sentence spoken I would have understood without a  problem. Written down it was a little confusing for me to understand what she was trying to say.  

• Love 1

Of all the bad grammar I've ever experienced on the internets, this one was pretty small potatoes. People don't speak with correct grammar, even people who are sticklers about correct grammar, so if this was an interview and they just transcribed what she said, I'll give her a pass. If she wrote like that on her own blog, it's not the worst ever but she could have worded it better.

• Love 2

Didn't Erin use the word sharing, as in "Jill was sharing information with me." What's common about this use of the word? A lot of us use phrases that aren't immediately clear...like "as all get out." Not trying to be rude, but I am using an example.

This sentence (below) that she wrote would be fine if it was worded this way..."Last week she was sharing ways that I can portion my food and eat this many vegetables and drink this much water.

Erin's sentence- Last week she was sharing to try to portion my food and eat this many vegetables and drink this much water.

• Love 3

This sentence (below) that she wrote would be fine if it was worded this way..."Last week she was sharing ways that I can portion my food and eat this many vegetables and drink this much water.

Erin's sentence- Last week she was sharing to try to portion my food and eat this many vegetables and drink this much water.

Yes, it's still using the word "sharing." I was confused if the OP was saying a different word should be used instead of "sharing." Because, like you, Maraleia, I think the word itself is fine to use. It's just unclear without other words added.

• Love 1

Typically if you are from North America, you use "gotten" as the past participle of "get."

• Love 3

My unfavorite fundies, The Rodrigues, are now expecting their 12 or 11th child while still living in a small RV. Mama Jill is now on bed rest,. I really feel for the oldest kids.

Omg u can't be serious. Where's cps. I know about that family and Jill is just stupid

• Love 1

I find it disgusting that this Rodriguez family live in an RV with many children who "are aware " of what's going on around them, have the space to have sex with each other in such close quarters...no wonder these fundy kids have a good idea of what "sweet fellowship" is all about. It's in front of them 24/7...How in the blue blazes do these people think that living like that is earning them brownie points with God? Where are their other family members? Why don't they intervene for those kids and take them in and let their sick parents travel around "spreading the Word"?

• Love 1

The RV Rodrigues family really turns my stomach. I feel so bad for those children. They don't even have beds to sleep in! Unless you count that creepy ass cage they built for the baby in the closet. Those people are so selfish.

• Love 1

The RV Rodrigues family really turns my stomach. I feel so bad for those children. They don't even have beds to sleep in! Unless you count that creepy ass cage they built for the baby in the closet. Those people are so selfish.

OMG- have not seen their show and such but watched a pathetic youtube video.  Makes my skin crawl when I see the Dad.  The children all look malnourished.  The singing is nothing more than something you find at a southern pentecostal church on Sunday morning.  Nothing special.  

Geez!  I'm in the wrong business.  Need to create my own church and bogus not for profit church business.  

I wonder what would happen if I sent a really sexy photo of a woman to the father for a printing job.  Think he would take it?

I wonder what would happen if I sent a really sexy photo of a woman to the father for a printing job.  Think he would take it?

You never know, he may send you back a photo of himself half naked on a velvet couch ala George Costanza. Or, just send you a bunch of chick tracts decrying the sins of the flesh.

• Love 5