Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

Dammit! I hates those diagonal shots!!  Disorienting, and in this instance...compositionally not more interesting,

Prissy has done a good job of not gaining too much weight...all baby yes..doesn't look like she's dropped yet. Hope mom has an easy birth and she and baby are safe.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Readalot said:

As time goes on the more they look like siblings. 

I have literally never seen a married couple look more like brother and sister.  Ever.  They look more like twins than Jana and JD.

Do they usually coordinate outfits?  That's....kind of creepy.  If my hubby and I are wearing the same color shirt to go out, I go make him change.  

• Love 8
4 hours ago, laurakaye said:

I have literally never seen a married couple look more like brother and sister.  Ever.  They look more like twins than Jana and JD.

Do they usually coordinate outfits?  That's....kind of creepy.  If my hubby and I are wearing the same color shirt to go out, I go make him change.  

Yes, they always match. This is actually one of their less matchy-matchy outfits, since only the trim on her shirt is green. Usually, you'd also see her in full-on green.

• Love 2
On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 5:45 AM, laurakaye said:

Oh, the Fabulous David Wellar and his poor bride Priscilla.  They're not related genetically, but they share the bond of being forced into marriage.  Read David's blog http://davidlovespriscilla.com/  . Read David's Story and Priscilla's Story.  Reading between the lines isn't hard.  His family was terrified he was gay, and told him outright to get married ASAP.  He held out for a while, but eventually decided to bite the bullet with Priscilla, who wasn't thrilled with the idea, but her father and praying led her to say yes.

Their wedding was spectacular, David arranged it himself.  You can probably find it on Youtube.

Then David set about setting himself up as a Real Man.  He has a wife, dammit.  Look, here she is!  We even wear coordinating outfits!  We post videos online showing off our Godly marriage.  Pris tries to get through her lines while David seethes.  Then, Pris is pregnant!  He has her up and making a video introducing his son within hours of giving birth.  David gets Pris knocked up again, producing a daughter that he names Davia.  And now Pris is overdue with their third child.  What fun!

Pris always looks stressed when she's photographed with David.  She's trying hard to be a good wife to him, but IMO there's always an undercurrent of David trying to prove something and it's not happening.

Edited by Zahdii
  • Love 17
2 hours ago, Zahdii said:

Pris always looks stressed when she's photographed with David.  She's trying hard to be a good wife to him, but IMO there's always an undercurrent of David trying to prove something and it's not happening.

Looking at their blog, I'm shocked at how much Priscilla has aged in such a short time span. She looks 15-20 years older now than she did before marrying TFDW. IMO, aging in dog years is not a sign of a secure, happy relationship.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Zahdii said:

Oh, the Fabulous David Wellar and his poor bride Priscilla.  They're not related genetically, but they share the bond of being forced into marriage.  Read David's blog http://davidlovespriscilla.com/. Read David's Story and Priscilla's Story.  Reading between the lines isn't hard.  His family was terrified he was gay, and told him outright to get married ASAP.  He held out for a while, but eventually decided to bite the bullet with Priscilla, who wasn't thrilled with the idea, but her father and praying led her to say yes.

I love how David describes life before marriage as a "race against time" and vowed to remain single until his 25th birthday.  Boy, he must have dreaded that particular birthday.

Another part that creeped me out was how his parents "encouraged" him keep a journal, which he would send to them every day so they could read it.  They should have just called it "David's Big Gay Journal of Sinful Thoughts."

Edited by IndianPaintbrush
  • Love 14

Priscilla and DW are a terrible terrible tragedy. Caused by their cruel control-freak parents' determination to let no child, even an adult child, be and do what it wants because they know what their fucking God wants. Their misery in the false lives they're living is sickening. And I don't see either of them ever being able to escape in any meaningful way. They're too damn brainwashed.

• Love 11

And talk about someone who could never fare in the big, bad, real world by herself. Prissy is REALLY a lost cause, which is interesting since she has three siblings who successfully made the break from Gothardism. Four, if you count Esther, whose husband denounces Gothard, but merely traded in one cult for one of her husband's own invention. 

• Love 3
On 10/19/2016 at 8:33 AM, DangerousMinds said:

WHY take a diagonal shot?

It's trendy. It's called a "Dutch angle" photo and it mainly started in film -- Back in the early-to-mid-20th-century or so cinematographers (Germans, among others, hence the "Deutsche/Dutch") were using it to suggest off-balance stuff, mania, insanity, confused and off-balance feelings, and so on. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari is an early example.

It got picked up in the selfie/instagram age as just something artsy. And so a lot of people are using it, unaware that it's used to give viewers the feeling that something's off. This particularly makes me laugh when I see it used for a shot of DW and PW. Because, wow, they know not what they do and how apt what they do really is.

It's about the only thing related to them that makes me laugh, though. Their plight is heartbreaking.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 10

And TFDW parades the baby out less than 2 hours after his birth yesterday. (eta: score one for me. When he posted his last IG pic, I was in the "she's in labor" camp, but with his poor writing skills, couldn't prove it)

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

My I am totally creep out meter is ringing so loud at the moment after watching the video I am surprise the dogs in my neighborhood are not howling at the top of their lungs.

I think it's hard not to look creepy when you're acting with all your might as you hope against hope that the part you're acting will somehow magically turn out one day to be not an act but the real you.

Looking at those three innocent little kids, I almost hope that P and D's strained act can somehow last forever without exploding or crumbling. But it's hard to believe that things will work out that way.

Best case scenario, of course, would be for DW to figure out that his complete painful lie-of-a-life isn't a good thing for him or anybody else and to rationally and kindly disentwine himself from Priscilla while making plans to keep supporting his kids, financially and in every other way. But doing that would mean cutting himself off from his family, his job, all the prestige that I'm sure he feels from that job, his (phony but still...) sources of self-worth, his beliefs, all the traditions he's grown up in, (in his mind) God, his place in heaven, etc. etc. So -- not gonna happen, I expect.

In some ways their mess depresses me even more than Josh's, Jill's, JD's, and Jana's messes. And it's definitely creepy.

• Love 2

That video was taken only two hours post delivery?! Goddamn, Priscilla bounces back well.

TFDW is scary. I didn't like the way he was physically pushing Davia to kiss the new baby. This whole video just screams "Look people! I've procreated three times! I'm not gay!". 

• Love 8

The Keller females seem to be able to whelp easily. I don't know about Rebekah or Susanna's birth plans, but Anna, Pris, and Esther have collectively had 17 kids without medical intervention. And Esther had the last two in AFRICA. It boggles the mind. 

• Love 4

My mom had 5 kids (all c-section) in very quick succession.  When I had 2 born just 16 months apart, she stressed to me how important it was, when introducing the new baby to the older baby (or toddler). She recommended not holding the new baby at the first introduction, but rather hold the older baby, while lying in bed, and make a real big deal of the older baby and toddler. Kiss and hug THEM, and even gift them a small toy. Certainly NEVER force the older baby to kiss and immediately love the new one that, after all, is replacing them as mom's newest baby. I took her advice and really never had a problem with jealousy.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, louannems said:

My mom had 5 kids (all c-section) in very quick succession.  When I had 2 born just 16 months apart, she stressed to me how important it was, when introducing the new baby to the older baby (or toddler). She recommended not holding the new baby at the first introduction, but rather hold the older baby, while lying in bed, and make a real big deal of the older baby and toddler. Kiss and hug THEM, and even gift them a small toy. Certainly NEVER force the older baby to kiss and immediately love the new one that, after all, is replacing them as mom's newest baby. I took her advice and really never had a problem with jealousy.

All the fundie birth pics posted are of the "kiss the newborn" variety. Whitney Bates put her moment on TV. Of course, Bradley is the cutest toddler ever, but yeah....I'm sure we will also see the same when they televise Erin's birth experience. 

1 hour ago, louannems said:

This is called "common sense" and "understanding of human emotions and motivations."

Whereas Gothardom is based on the opposite of both these things. It's based on saying that everything that comes naturally to humans -- except for the will to power in adult men -- is evil and must be squashed, in the interest of bolstering the one big important thing: the will to power in adult men.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, louannems said:

And Jill wants another child so Izzy won't be spoiled.

He's a beautiful healthy baby boy! David and Prissy's high pitched talking didn't  quite disturb my cat like I thought it would. I realize they had to talk that way around small children.  I wonder if they ever have a grown up conversation. I could tell David was trying hard to hide his annoyance with Prissy.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, BitterApple said:

That video was taken only two hours post delivery?! Goddamn, Priscilla bounces back well.

TFDW is scary. I didn't like the way he was physically pushing Davia to kiss the new baby. This whole video just screams "Look people! I've procreated three times! I'm not gay!". 

I don't find him scary , I find him sad . It's not only women who are trapped into this life style , he doesn't have a way to escape either . 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, lianau said:

I don't find him scary , I find him sad . It's not only women who are trapped into this life style , he doesn't have a way to escape either . 

Bears repeating. I expect that gay men born into this may have the hardest time of all of escaping, actually.

Not a happy thing for a trapped person to turn into an angry and/or abusive person. And a sad and scary thing for Priscilla most likely. But trapped animals are like that, and a born-into-high-level-Gothard gay guy is about as trapped as it comes, I would think. I know gay people who've found it excruciating and terrifying to come out or to leave a situation when they were born into quite liberal families, communities, religions. Can't imagine the size of the barriers you'd see around you if you were born into the Gothard aristocracy.

That's why these two are the saddest of all, to me, and why I have a hard time condemning David for it. I can't imagine what could save them.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 8

Good God, the kid's two hours old and already being pressured to be a  "man's man." There are all kinds of men, idiots. My straight husband has some decidedly "unmanly" traits and interests, and I wouldn't want him any other way. He's plenty of man for me, nudge-nudge-wink-wink. If they met my big brother he might strike the Gothardites as appropriately masculine until--uh-oh!-- they find out he's gay. Their obsession with narrow, prescriptivist gender roles is like nothing I've ever seen, and I've been in conservative churches my entire life.  It really does make me desperately sad for David even though I want to smack him, too.

Edited by Portia
  • Love 13
On 10/19/2016 at 5:33 PM, IndianPaintbrush said:

I love how David describes life before marriage as a "race against time" and vowed to remain single until his 25th birthday.  Boy, he must have dreaded that particular birthday.

Another part that creeped me out was how his parents "encouraged" him keep a journal, which he would send to them every day so they could read it.  They should have just called it "David's Big Gay Journal of Sinful Thoughts."

I can see this play out into an off Broadway play. So tragic his sad little life.

• Love 5

Portia I have eye problems and print appears very odd to me.  Your phrase above where you said something about your husband "nudge nudge, wink wink"  read to me as 
Nude Nude, Win, Win

I had to get out my magnifier to finally make out what you said.  It's a really  odd condition and even the magnifier doesn't clear it up completely but at least I know you weren't saying your husband is nude and a win.  which he may be, but see med an odd thing to say in context!   ha smiling here

• Love 17
4 hours ago, Fuzzysox said:

I can see this play out into an off Broadway play. So tragic his sad little life.

It totally would! All those years in Jeebus Glee Club...

David told by his family he had to get married and Priss comparing marrying David to crucifixion...how they put on the good face and have kept up the facade of being this happy and Godly couple for as long as they have just boggles the mind.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Micks Picks said:

Portia I have eye problems and print appears very odd to me.  Your phrase above where you said something about your husband "nudge nudge, wink wink"  read to me as 
Nude Nude, Win, Win

I had to get out my magnifier to finally make out what you said.  It's a really  odd condition and even the magnifier doesn't clear it up completely but at least I know you weren't saying your husband is nude and a win.  which he may be, but see med an odd thing to say in context!   ha smiling here

Oh my GOSH, I just hurt mysrlf laughing!

• Love 3
On October 20, 2016 at 3:27 PM, Sew Sumi said:

And TFDW parades the baby out less than 2 hours after his birth yesterday. (eta: score one for me. When he posted his last IG pic, I was in the "she's in labor" camp, but with his poor writing skills, couldn't prove it)

That went on far, far too long. Poor pris. Leave her at peace in bed with her baby, not having to act for the camera right after birth.  I can't believe he said they pray for him to me a man's man. 

• Love 4
38 minutes ago, awaken said:

That went on far, far too long. Poor pris. Leave her at peace in bed with her baby, not having to act for the camera right after birth.  I can't believe he said they pray for him to me a man's man. 

These people are seriously nuts. Pris is going to end up periodically wandering around the neighborhood in a daze until someone finds her and takes her back home. She looks close to that point now. 

• Love 11

An excerpt from David's blog w/r/t the naming of baby Phillip Andrew. Someone is projecting...a lot! 

The middle name Andrew is also after one of the twelve disciples of Jesus. The name literally means man or manly one. It is our prayer that this young boy would be a man’s man after God’s own heart. It is especially important in a culture that is seeking to blur definitions of God’s design.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

An excerpt from David'd blog w/r/t the naming of baby Phillip Andrew. Someone is projecting...a lot! 

Must be a scary situation for David . He doesn't live under a rock , he has access to the Internet and probably reads comments so I guess he knows he breaks everyone's  gaydar . He tries so hard to come across as this godly Christian husband , it's just painful .

• Love 10
7 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

An excerpt from David'd blog w/r/t the naming of baby Phillip Andrew. Someone is projecting...a lot! 

The middle name Andrew is also after one of the twelve disciples of Jesus. The name literally means man or manly one. It is our prayer that this young boy would be a man’s man after God’s own heart. It is especially important in a culture that is seeking to blur definitions of God’s design.

That's terribly depressing.

• Love 8

"The name literally means man or manly one. It is our prayer that this young boy would be a man’s man after God’s own heart. It is especially important in a culture that is seeking to blur definitions of God’s design."

wow. Can he get more obvious. And because of course, God is a man's man. 

• Love 3

I know that some blondes start off as brunettes, but neither of the prior Waller kids did. So, for now, A NON-FAIR HAIRED WALLER! 

Edited by Sew Sumi
yes, I realize that TFDW is actually a redhead
  • Love 1

I always figured Prissy's squinting was because they always insisted shooting into direct sunlight. Holy crap, it's actually genetic! 

eta: That's an ugly plaid on TFDW. I wonder what poor Prissy is wearing to match THAT?

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 2