Type keyword(s) to search

Snark Should Be Multiplied, Not Divided: General Show Discussion

• Start Topic

Or maybe they actually believed that MSWC would make enough money for them to be able to get new mortgages?  After all, "everything they touch turns to gold" or something.

I've always assumed that the Browns were holding onto the Lehi house as a backup plan. I was saddened to hear Kody say they're underwater in the house, meaning they have no equity. I think the story was Janelle used inherited money to purchase that house. She then dipped into her retirement for the Las Vegas move. If this is true, Janelle is definitely generous - but not smart.

That is entirely their fault that they are underwater on the Lehi home, I haven't looked it up for awhile but when they first purchased it the home was solely in Janelle's name. After awhile Kody and Meri were added and then a second mortgage was put on it and possibly a third - this is just from memory. Basically they used it as a giant ATM during the bubble. And Janelle permitted it to happen.

As far as her purported "retirement" - I'm guessing it was a 401k. Janelle's salary along with all other state employees used to be on the internet up until right after she quit. She was basically an admin/analyst/paper pusher. Nothing wrong with that, heck it's what I do too. I don't think she was making more that $65k a year (before taxes) at the most. Not a bad salary if it was just her but remember it was divvied up between the entire "family". I doubt she was able to put aside more than a small percentage of her check in her 401 and of course withdrawing it means she had to pay Federal penalties and taxes as well.

Her "retirement" probably was pissed away with a month or so.

And again, she agreed to it. So I can't feel sorry for her.

• Love 1

So, I'm recalling that classic moment from last season, when they hired a recent graduate with no professional experience to design four dresses for their commitment ceremony.   Four of the fugliest dresses you could ever hope to see.  I'm not sure whose was the worst, although Meri's would certainly deserve nomination.  It was definitely a typically tacky and unprofessional moment from this group of Klowns!

Contrast that to the wonderful, professional designer that Bill hired for Jen's dress on The Little Couple.  Wouldn't you love to have a dress made by that young woman!  Of course Jen had more need for a custom dress--the Browns could have worn off the rack dresses (and two did when their dresses were such epic FAILS!)

I think the Browns are pretty hopeless, actually.  Maybe if some joined Meri in returning to school it would help.  Or if Janelle could actually succeed at real estate.  I would expect by now she would be a presence on the realtor website with her own clients but so far she still just seems to be an assistant.

I don't think there's any way that TLC will help them out when the loans are up, but does anyone know whether TLC helped them buy the houses? If they didn't sell their other house, where did the four down payments come from for these houses? And, how much did they even put down? I could see TLC putting the money down because the houses were a big part of the storyline for a while, and after that they certainly made for a much more interesting "set" than their old house.

I don't believe that TLC helped them financially other than whatever they were being paid to begin with. Btw I agree that they are making at best $25k per ep for the entire family but I doubt we will ever know for sure. After Jon G spilled the beans on what they got, TLC was after him in full legal fury. I'm sure that a main part of their contract with the show participants is that they never EVER reveal how much they are making from the show itself.

That said, TLC did inadvertently assist the Browns since their tv show notoriety/celeb/whatevs opened doors for them to even be considered. The builders were able to unload a piece of land they'd been sitting on for some years, and after the Browns default and leave I'm sure that they will use the years of free advertising to resell them. Mona made a nice chunk of change on commissions and got free advertising in a very competitive real estate market. And so on.

I don't think it was TLC's idea for the Browns to move etc. Kody's main goal is to keep the show going. By any means possible, keep the money rolling in, and milk it for all he can until the proverbial lemon is squeezed dry.

Or maybe they actually believed that MSWC would make enough money for them to be able to get new mortgages?  After all, "everything they touch turns to gold" or something.

To be exact, Kody said everything they've touched "in the last four years" has turned to gold.

Which is still bullshit, but...

• Love 3

The reason I suggested they might be hoping TLC helps them out is because they stepped in to pay and finish off the Duggar house several years ago (back when they were only doing specials). Of course that gave them a storyline for that special whereas it would be a much more dramatic storyline for the Browns to have to move back to Lehi and learn to live together again, if TLC hasn’t pulled the plug by then anyway. And the Duggar house was probably way cheaper than whatever else the Browns have to pay off.

Or if Janelle could actually succeed at real estate.  I would expect by now she would be a presence on the realtor website with her own clients but so far she still just seems to be an assistant.

I think to be a successful realtor you have to be very dedicated to it to build up a client base, win instructions, do viewings at inconvenient times etc especially in Las Vegas. I'd guess filming and preping storylines and everything else digs into that. Not saying she couldn't do that but she probably puts the show first. Or she might just enjoy being office based and is doing a lot of the legal/admin work for the company with more flexible hours. Or she's been sucked into the reality show black hole like everyone else in the family, even though she's the only one that's ever concerned about finances. 

(edited)

The reason I suggested they might be hoping TLC helps them out is because they stepped in to pay and finish off the Duggar house several years ago (back when they were only doing specials). Of course that gave them a storyline for that special whereas it would be a much more dramatic storyline for the Browns to have to move back to Lehi and learn to live together again, if TLC hasn’t pulled the plug by then anyway. And the Duggar house was probably way cheaper than whatever else the Browns have to pay off.

I think to be a successful realtor you have to be very dedicated to it to build up a client base, win instructions, do viewings at inconvenient times etc especially in Las Vegas. I'd guess filming and preping storylines and everything else digs into that. Not saying she couldn't do that but she probably puts the show first. Or she might just enjoy being office based and is doing a lot of the legal/admin work for the company with more flexible hours. Or she's been sucked into the reality show black hole like everyone else in the family, even though she's the only one that's ever concerned about finances. 

I think TLC has learned from the Duggars and the Gosselins, and using those lessons with the Browns and any future reality show participants.  Not to be too generous with assistance, just pay them whatever and film whatever happens, including the trainwreck and inevitable downfall.  I do think that Kody and Figure 8 Films (the production company) are trying to keep the gravy train going as long as possible, and if that means showing Kody being an asshat and Meri and Robyn crying and whining all day, and painting them in a negative light, who cares as long as the money comes rolling in (that's Kody's real religion IMO).

The Lehi home - if they really wanted to sell it, it would have already been gone or at least on the market by now.  These eps we're seeing were filmed months ago, I'd imagine. 

I think Janelle has shown like 2 houses in two years.  They all talk about "getting up early for work" but what is that exactly?  I think Janelle really means "working out" with Sean, or filming the show.  I know several realtors, and they all work their butts off. 

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • Love 1

As far as finishing the Duggar house, almost everything done for the house was comped.  People did things in return for the advertising of being on the show.  Before TLC got involved, the land was paid for, the house kits were paid for, and Jim Bob paid for many of the fixtures in the house. 

As far as finishing the Duggar house, almost everything done for the house was comped.  People did things in return for the advertising of being on the show.  Before TLC got involved, the land was paid for, the house kits were paid for, and Jim Bob paid for many of the fixtures in the house. 

ya but back then those merchants probably thought that they'd profit from the exposure.  I think now they know better.

• Love 1

Ok, after watching s4 ep 10 for the first time I need to interject with a personal message from me to Christine:

Dear Christine--

When your husband designs a piece of jewelry just for you, inspired by you, which is a way for him to show you his affection and what he thinks makes you unique, and especially when he's already nervous about how you will receive it, the appropriate response is, "Oh, honey!  Thank you!  It's wonderful.  I love it!"  Yes, that may be a lie, but is it really more important to be truthful at that moment than to be concerned about your husband's feelings?  I think not.  Honesty just for the sake of honesty is not always a virtue. You can aways "conveniently" forget to wear the necklace if you really don't care for it.  

Thank you.

(I know others will disagree, but it's worked for me for 25 years of marriage.)

• Love 5

I'm hoping this show isn't canceled anytime soon for the simple reason that none of us are ready to watch Kody do his special "moves" on DWTS!

I'm curious to know how much "star power" Kody and/or the wives really have outside the show.  Truthfully, most of my friends and coworkers IRL don't even know about the show, or WTF the Browns are.  Kate Gosselin was different since the scandal with Jon was all over the news, which was the only reason I watched like 2 episodes (the two after the scandal broke - actually 1.3 episodes, because I got bored and switched the channel).  So I don't see DWTS or any other big show in Kody's future.  

• Love 1
(edited)

It was a joke.

Well it would be regardless - I thought it brought up an interesting point as Kody is apparently intent on riding what I think of as "the Gosselin Arc".

I do think that Kody feels he is Mr. Celebrity and that he can turn this show exposure into a real "show biz" career. 

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • Love 1

As far as I know, there is no proof that the houses are 3 year interest only, builder held.  They probably are, but I think it is speculation based on the many things we do know or see of this family.  It is likely true, but never verified.

As much as I dislike them I like them so much better than my 5 wives or the Darger guy with his trio.  There's something about them that gets to you, and the kids are really great.

Does anybody know if Polygamy USA will be back?  I miss old Arthur, and I was horrified by the creep with the 3 wives but looking for more who had the daughter who turned herself over to the elders to find her a mate.  The dad/husband is a horror.  Will they return?

As far as I know, there is no proof that the houses are 3 year interest only, builder held. They probably are, but I think it is speculation based on the many things we do know or see of this family. It is likely true, but never verified.

As much as I dislike them I like them so much better than my 5 wives or the Darger guy with his trio. There's something about them that gets to you, and the kids are really great.

Does anybody know if Polygamy USA will be back? I miss old Arthur, and I was horrified by the creep with the 3 wives but looking for more who had the daughter who turned herself over to the elders to find her a mate. The dad/husband is a horror. Will they return?

Completely third hand info, but a friend of mine who follows Rose Marie on Facebook said that she posted that Polygamy USA would not be returning. :(

I agree with you about the Browns. There is just something that keeps me coming back. Mostly, for me, it's the kids; I can't wait for the scenes from one of the teasers that showed Logan and Aspyn living it up at UNLV. How such remarkable children came from this train wreck is quite a mystery.

So TLC didn't pay per se, it was the visibility vis a vis the show itself. And the D's paid for the priciest stuff - land, home kit, fixtures etc.

I laughed when I saw they put that damn band's music for sale on the MSWC website. But they really have a "Kody Brown Family Limited Edition CD"? Oh a good, hearty laugh first thing on a Monday morning is the best. I hate that I'm seeing "Kody Brown Family" all over (it was on their mission statement on the wall) instead of just "Brown Family". So misogynistic. And does this poor band not realize they'd probably be more likeable if they didn't sell their soul to the Brown Family (I'm sorry, The Kody Brown Family)?

Getting my credit card out now to get a Kody Brown Family Gold CD (going for the Gold Edition, I'm so glad they have 2 such KB CD's!) and a Sisterwife ring. It's so nice they're selling relateable things, cause haven't we all experienced having a sister wife?  I may have missed it, but did any of the investors ever mention the fact that selling someone that is sacred to them (husband designed pieces of jewelry) and stuff people can't relate to (having sisterwives) isn't very profitable? 

• Love 4
Getting my credit card out now...

And prepare for identity theft since their ordering page isn't secure.  Can't believe how idiotic this "business" is.  Of course, since it's run by a group of idiots....

• Love 3

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is irritated by "The Kody Brown Family" on their mission statement. It's just so weird - you rarely hear people refer to families by the male's name. It's usually just "The Smiths" or "The Johnsons". Of course I'm the person who made the officiant at my wedding refer to my name as well as my husbands when he announced us as husband and wife (Mr. and Mrs. Joe & Jill Smith, rather than Mr. and Mrs. Joe Smith). I told him that I gave up my last name and I'm not giving up my first name too!

• Love 5

I am also completely baffled by their "target market." Personally, I've never been much of a JOOLry person--I did buy some more expensive sterling silver designer pieces back when I had to dress up for work. But I find the SW stuff really tacky and cheap looking, even if I could get past the embarrassment of having to potentially tell people, "Oh, yes, you know those grifters, er, persecuted polygamists on TLC? Yes, I wanted to wear JOOLry just like theirs."

And maybe I'm just a selfish person, but I've never had a friend I liked so much that I'd buy her a piece of jewelry calling her a "Sister Wife," which apparently would mean I'd be okay with her having sex (and babies) with my husband.

SMDH.

• Love 4

Agree with everyone about enjoying this family more than the Williams.  They are livelier and more relatable.  It seems as if the children are encouraged to speak their minds.  Brady's clan seems almost sullen.  So many reality shows are so scripted example: Real Housewives, the Brown family just appears to be more natural.  They are entitled and clueless yet IMO no more than most reality stars.  At least they are not rehashing a petty fight for umpteen episodes a la most Bravo shows.

Ok, after watching s4 ep 10 for the first time I need to interject with a personal message from me to Christine:

Dear Christine--

When your husband designs a piece of jewelry just for you, inspired by you, which is a way for him to show you his affection and what he thinks makes you unique, and especially when he's already nervous about how you will receive it, the appropriate response is, "Oh, honey!  Thank you!  It's wonderful.  I love it!"  Yes, that may be a lie, but is it really more important to be truthful at that moment than to be concerned about your husband's feelings?  I think not.  Honesty just for the sake of honesty is not always a virtue. You can aways "conveniently" forget to wear the necklace if you really don't care for it. 

Thank you.

(I know others will disagree, but it's worked for me for 25 years of marriage.)

I would completely agree with you, IF she was the only wife. I've been with my husband 8.5 years and I have definitely acted enamored with my fair share of gift fails. But, in this case, I really felt like he put a lot more thought into the other wives' necklaces than he did with Christine's. Hers seemed like an afterthought, and I think she knew it. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I find it interesting that Janelle recently claimed she wants nothing whatsoever to do with the creative aspects of MSWC, but I remember a season or two ago she had a change of heart about helping Robyn and was interested in developing a line of fitness apparel for women. She obviously changed her mind or maybe that was just scripted. 

Edited by purpleflowers
  • Love 1

I said this on one of the other threads, but I don't understand their angle that people can buy their jewelry for their friends that are "like sister wives but don't share husbands", aren't those just regular sisters?

I said this on one of the other threads, but I don't understand their angle that people can buy their jewelry for their friends that are "like sister wives but don't share husbands", aren't those just regular sisters?

Or regular friends.  

That's one of the glaring issues with their lack of business plan - they have no freaking idea about a potential customer base.  There are just not enough polygamists to whom this crap would be interesting or desirable.  The rest of the 50 million of us see no connection to their insane lives;  thus we have no interest whatsoever in their crappy, overpriced, underwhelming joolry.

• Love 4

Not to mention they seem to have contempt for "regular" couples. I seem to recall Robyn making some stupid snarky comments about it.

She has frequently, especially this and last season.

Additionally she has a blog post about her supposed encounter with a "monogamous beautician" that is ridiculous. Who calls stylists "beauticians" anymore? I doubt she wrote it.

• Love 1
(edited)

The big challenge here, especially for TLC, is that these are not interesting people.

They're not particularly smart (by any definition). We've seen no real evidence of curiosity about life. Ambitions are pretty hard to find in this bunch (talking abt adults). That's why Janelle, with some college (maybe degree, maybe not) and a middle-level, public sector administrative position came off - at least initially - as a comparative genius. Normal in the real world, extraordinary in this parade of doofuses.

They haven't done anything particularly interesting with their lives in the past. (Visits with friends and family definitely confirm that.) They certainly aren't doing anything interesting now. They don't leave the house to to work or interact with others in authentic ways. They have no real interests or talents that we've seen. They don't seem to have any desire to volunteer or help others. They have no real experiences to capture on film. They don't do anything.

They have no stories to tell, as hard as TLC may be trying to convince us otherwise. That's how we end up with wet bars, baby drama, and ugly jewelry. That's all they have to offer. What a waste of oxygen. And screen time.

Edited by RealityCowgirl
  • Love 15

The big challenge here, especially for TLC, is that these are not interesting people.

Exactly. You have to wonder why TLC ever thought this would make a series, because they should know by now that once you get past the inherent curiosity for whatever singularity there is--little people, polygamy, 8 kids, 19 kids--most of the reality television families are inherently boring. I can only think that they were hoping for a whole lot more DRAMA and open warfare with adding Robyn to the family, or maybe they were hoping for some hints of freaky sex, but they're just another bunch of yawners.

I'd hate to be the producer on this show, desperately trying to make this interesting.

• Love 5

Not to mention they seem to have contempt for "regular" couples. I seem to recall Robyn making some stupid snarky comments about it.

As half of a "regular" couple (within a few months of our 30th anniversary) - where both people work, have financial plans beyond bankruptcy, pursue interests that promote personal and professional growth, and contribute time and talent to community well-being - I have one response to Queen Robyn:

Bite me.

• Love 20

I thought the same thing. She didn't say a word about the "famly" when originally talking to Meri, either time. It was only in her talking heads. Trying to do damage control. 

I think they were very close with each other (the wives) and then robin came along and poohed all over it, the family turned to shit since robin came into it

• Love 1
I think they were very close with each other (the wives) and then robin came along and poohed all over it, the family turned to shit since robin came into it.

I get a different impression. I don't think all three were super close prior to Robyn. I think Jenelle and Christine were probably pretty close, but I think Meri kept her distance. And it's well documented that she was a total bitch to Jenelle when she first joined the family. I think there was plenty of dysfunction before Robyn came along, but I think it was probably functional dysfunction - as they'd had the same set-up for, what? At least sixteen years? I think adding Robyn just made a bad situation worse. Originally I think Meri thought she could take Robyn as HER ally and even the playing field, but those two now seem to have their own host of issues. 

• Love 2
They have no real interests or talents that we've seen. They don't seem to have any desire to volunteer or help others. They have no real experiences to capture on film. They don't do anything.

My read is that FAMILY is their one and only area of interest and what is supposed to occupy all their time.  As I've said before, I think this leads them to believe that they shouldn't be involved in much of anything outside the family, and also to the mistaken notion that they shouldn't have to work to support themselves because that would take them away from the FAMILY.  Cause, you know, you can't possibly have a strong family unless you all spend every waking moment together all the time.  *Eyeroll*  But I think that's their perspective.

• Love 2

My read is that FAMILY is their one and only area of interest and what is supposed to occupy all their time. As I've said before, I think this leads them to believe that they shouldn't be involved in much of anything outside the family, and also to the mistaken notion that they shouldn't have to work to support themselves because that would take them away from the FAMILY. Cause, you know, you can't possibly have a strong family unless you all spend every waking moment together all the time. *Eyeroll* But I think that's their perspective.

I totally read this post in Christine's voice. Fahhhh-mly! My fahhhh-mly!! *snort*

• Love 3

I think what could make this show interesting again is seeing some one-on-one interaction between wife pairs that doesn't usually happen. I'd like to see Janelle and Meri do something together, such as some activity with the kids or a night on the town or something; I am just curious how they would get along and interact, as I have never seen the two of them really spend much time together. I always sense some underlying tension; maybe it it just accountable to always being seated far apart in the TH segments. Also, Robyn has mentioned in the past she wants close special relationships with all of her sister-wives, not just Meri; maybe she can be shown doing something with Christine. The Browns are often all talk and no action. It is still a mystery as to what their supposed "jobs" are.  I want to hear more concretely about what Janelle is doing with her real estate skills. "Managing" MSWC cannot be a full-time job, can it? 

Something that always bothered me was the assertion that they are mothers to all the kids. The show almost never shows examples of this. Robyn said very early on that all the kids are "my kids too". I would like to see what this looks like in daily life. 

Ambitions are pretty hard to find in this bunch 

That is SO not fair!  Kody is building an empire!  What's more ambitious than an empire?

• Love 3

Somehow I don't think I had ever seen the ep with Kody and Robyn's honeymoon, or if I had I didn't remember it.  I watched it earlier today and thought the producers and editors outdid themselves on this one.  The scenes of Robyn and Kody in San Diego (for 11 days!!  Horrors!!) intercut with the wives back home sitting on the interview couch complaining about how crappy their own honeymoons were (yes, they said they were "exactly what they wanted," but they were clearly lying) and how Kody's treating Robyn better than he did any of them were just tremendous.  

I don't think these people are presenting the positive picture of polygamy that they think they are.

• Love 5
(edited)

There is far too much crying, complaining, and general animosity and game playing for me to ever believe polygamy is better than monogamy based on their presentation of how they live. 

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 7
I don't think these people are presenting the positive picture of polygamy that they think they are.

They have absolutely been the poster children for why NOT to get into this toxic "lifestyle".  This series needs to be required viewing for every fundamentalist person of any religion who might be contemplating polygamy.  Of course, they need to include viewing the episode where they all declare bankruptcy simultaneously, lose the cars and the McMansions, wave good bye to the TLC trucks, ship all of the crappy cut rate joolry back to China, and all try to shoehorn themselves back into the ratty Lehi house.

• Love 4

I think he's not so much building an empire as waiting for one to come to him to ask to be his empire.

Heh. Because *building* an empire would take, well, work. Not in the doofus's vocabulary.

They have absolutely been the poster children for why NOT to get into this toxic "lifestyle".

Yeah, they make a compelling case all right. For monogamy.

Nice sales job, Browns.

• Love 2