Type keyword(s) to search

Snark Should Be Multiplied, Not Divided: General Show Discussion

• Start Topic

Isn't monogamy itself challenging enough?  You bring all of your issues with you and combine them with your partner's issues.  Add in the issues that your families present, religious issues, finances, and top it off with the children you or your mate may already have (and those kids other parents).

Yeah polygamy with all of these issues magnified with each addition of a new wife seems like such a better way to live.

I'd love to see the tables turned and have one of the wives declare that they're taking on a new husband, but I don't see that happening here.

Their other business is Livinternational, which is the green goo product that is shown on tv but not so much as to be implied as an ad.  It is a pyramid scheme, and the Browns seem less involved than they were a couple of years ago.  They used to tweet about it a lot.  Perhaps they have run out of customers.  To make money, they need the sales forces working for them; doing direct sales nets you very little.  It gets not so good product reviews, with complaints about price and lack of effectiveness.  While I spotted a few 5 star reviews in a quick review, most were 1 star.   

• Love 1

^ That's the thing about pyramid schemes, the glory days don't last very long and then (for the smarter grifters) it's on to the next scam, er, pyramid.

Has anyone noticed that all the wives and also Kody always wear clothes that cover most of their arms? I assumed that people in their community/faith and who are part of those fundamental groups may dress conservatively, but I find the covering of the arms interesting. Especially interesting that Kody does it too, because I usually think of conservative dress as something where there are more rules for women in certain communities. Although, their conservative dress code seems to go out the window when they are on honeymoon and anniversary vacations. 

I live in southern Utah and in a plig town. The men in the fundy sects wear button down shirts that are buttoned at the necks and at the wrists, even in the heat of the summer. The sect in my town is biblical, not fundy, and the remaining members dress in a variety of ways.

• Love 3

I'm far from an expert, but I believe it has something to do with their "garments" - sort of an underwear they're given when sealed into the church? Some are longer than others, and people have speculated the garments the Browns have must be to the elbow or thereabouts. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. 

• Love 2
(edited)

^ Yes. The evolution of garmies over the years has been necessary to retain younger generation members. Which isn't a concern among the fundies. The elbow length sleeves are Really Old School, then came the t-shirt sleeve length, and then the current cap sleeve style which caused quite a stir at first. Almost all of the women in their 80s/90s are wearing the cap sleeves now. About half of men that age still go for the one-piece style that stretches and gives until it's hanging way low. (In my experience, bathing/showering, as a CNA). It used to be that your garmie style was an obvious symbol of devotion because it dictated the outer clothing you wore; not so much these days. Well, except for tank tops. If you see totally bared arms on an adult who isn't wearing a bathing suit or running in a track meet, they're a non-member. That's how we spot each other in the summer, LOL; more highly developed observation skills are required in the winter.

Edited by suomi
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Galloway Cave said:

The sect in my town is biblical, not fundy, and the remaining members dress in a variety of ways.

Thanks for the great education about the religious aspect since we don't really get it from the show so much!!  What do you mean about the sect being biblical not fundy?  Are they Evangelical Christians? Like the Duggers or Holiness Pentecostals who dress a certain way or are they another Mormon-like sect?? 

• Love 1
(edited)

Galloway Cave said:

Thanks for the great education about the religious aspect since we don't really get it from the show so much!!  

My sentiments exactly! And also, this show was so much more interesting back in the day...

Also, thanks to all who provided info about garments, etc. Very informative and intriguing. 

Edited by purpleflowers
(edited)

What do you mean about the sect being biblical not fundy?

The founder, Alex Joseph, started out as Greek Orthodox, converted to LDS then to AUB. He was kicked out of the AUB. He then started his own sect based on the portions of the Bible that referred to polygamy. The religion was based solely on the interpretation of the Bible verses on polygamy rather than revelations of Joseph Smith and others in the FLDS sects. The family courted the media as early as 1975, inviting them into the compound, doing interviews and even had a movie made about them.There were several other families involved in the religion other than the Josephs. When Alex died in 1998, the religious part kind of fell apart and some of the families involved have moved from the town, although some still remain. There are still practicing polygamist families here. I am friends with some of those who remain and they have been very candid about their life and lifestyle. All of the Joseph wives worked, none used the government system and Alex was very involved in both the wives and the children's lives. He had over 20 wives during the years but only seven were with him at the end. None of his children are polygamists. It was interesting that Robyn said she had never heard of Biblical polygamists when the Joseph family has been very front and center in the plig community for 40 years.

If you want to read up on the various sects of polygamy in Utah, go to the Utah Attorney General's website and read The Primer. It is the document for law enforcement and state/county/local agencies that helps explain the sects and spell out consistent enforcement of the Utah laws. Arizona has the same document.

http://attorneygeneral.utah.gov/protecting-utah/from_crime/polygamy/

ETA: Now, the whole Biblical explanation thing was given to me by one of the family members of the group in my town. God only knows what we will hear on Sunday when the Richards are shown! Could be a whole different explanation than the one I was given. We will see....

Edited by Galloway Cave
  • Love 2
(edited)

Thanks Galloway Cave!!!! 

The founder, Alex Joseph, started out as Greek Orthodox, converted to FLDS then to AUB

To me, that is the craziest thing that I've heard in a long time!!  Very, very different!

He had over 20 wives during the years but only seven were with him at the end. None of his children are polygamists.

How VERY telling is that?????  He must have over a 100 children! 

Edited by crgirl412

I decided to go back and re-read the book that this dysfunctional crew wrote a few years ago to try to accurately remember a few things.   One thing that I had forgotten was how often they were so beyond broke!  They consistently mention not having enough money, not planning well, Kody not enjoying his job, Meri quitting jobs every time she had opportunity to go on  a trip with Kody, etc.  So friggin irresponsible!  I just cannot wrap my mind around it, in spite of the fact that we see it every single episode.

Also, I distinctly remembered that Janelle and Meri had many harsh disagreements, yet forgot the huge dust up between Meri and Christine.  For those that haven't read the book, here ya go:

About a year before I became pregnant with Truely, I had a devastating argument with Meri.   For a while, I'd been feeling that she was too tough on my kids.  While I understand that all children need discipline, I often felt that she went too far when it came to my children.  It seemed to me that she was taking her frustrations out on my kids in particular.  As a result of this, many of them were wary of her and were afraid to cross her accidentally. 

• Love 4

Since the Browns have no collective memory, they will live to regret their publicly stated contradictions. I hope they are planning the next season of their lives, which will be back in the communal home in Utah.  

• Love 2
hey consistently mention not having enough money, not planning well, Kody not enjoying his job, Meri quitting jobs every time she had opportunity to go on  a trip with Kody, etc.

Wow, quitting jobs just so she could go on a trip with King Douche? What kind of trips? Business trips of some sort? That just reeks of desperation to stay #1 wife. 

Several posters have commented about the way Meri, Janelle, and Robyn have checked out of the talking head interviews.  Next week we get a video montage, and a very special announcement from Robyn. I am trying to decide if the video montage is part of Madison's graduation, or if it is maybe a series finale.  If the latter, that might account for the lack of interest in the interviews and in the listlessness of the RV trip.  Maybe they know their cash cow is short lived?

• Love 1

Several posters have commented about the way Meri, Janelle, and Robyn have checked out of the talking head interviews.  Next week we get a video montage, and a very special announcement from Robyn. I am trying to decide if the video montage is part of Madison's graduation, or if it is maybe a series finale.  If the latter, that might account for the lack of interest in the interviews and in the listlessness of the RV trip.  Maybe they know their cash cow is short lived?

Maybe it's wishful thinking :)

But the decision to feature this trip down memory lane on the last episode of the season felt like one of two obvious things for me:

They really have run out of "real life" to show and aren't even pretending (much like this entire season) or

Exactly what you're describing in the second scenario. If the decision is not yet made (or at least official), it certainly gives TLC an easy out. And an okay close to a terribly disappointing show.

• Love 1

Maybe it's wishful thinking :)

But the decision to feature this trip down memory lane on the last episode of the season felt like one of two obvious things for me:

They really have run out of "real life" to show and aren't even pretending (much like this entire season) or

Exactly what you're describing in the second scenario. If the decision is not yet made (or at least official), it certainly gives TLC an easy out. And an okay close to a terribly disappointing show.

They just don't talk about the things I really want to know...the things that would make the show more interesting.

Why, for instance, does Kody even WANT to become a god? This is their reason for polygamy, but they won't go there because they know it sounds ridiculous to everyone else. Discussions about the more bizarre aspects of their beliefs would liven things up.

• Love 1
(edited)

I've been rewatching Big Love now that it's part of amazon prime.  They lifted every single story line from it down to the awful going away quilts.

Thank Gawd they didn't have the steamy sex scenes. Maybe Robyn should have watched BL, b/c in the end it is not the 4th wife that gets the legal marriage. 

I decided to go back and re-read the book that this dysfunctional crew wrote a few years ago to try to accurately remember a few things.   One thing that I had forgotten was how often they were so beyond broke!  They consistently mention not having enough money, not planning well, Kody not enjoying his job, Meri quitting jobs every time she had opportunity to go on  a trip with Kody, etc.  So friggin irresponsible!  I just cannot wrap my mind around it, in spite of the fact that we see it every single episode.

I could not get through the book. I got really bored and forgot about it, so much so that I had library dues. I purposely didn't buy the book b/c I didn't want any of the Browns to get any of my money, but in the end I did have to pony up a little even if it didn't go directly to them. 

Edited by jellywager
  • Love 1
(edited)

I bought the book about two years ago and still have not finished it! Granted, it is somewhat interesting at spots here and there in regards to the backstory of their family and the wives' backgrounds, but it is repetitive and confusing in its timeline and poorly written too. 

Does anyone know how many wives Christine's father has/had? I know her own mother left but I assumed there were multiple other wives considering how Christine is regarded as polyg. royalty...but I may be mistaken. I just find it fascinating that that the wife who seems to be the biggest advocate for polygamy is the one wife with a parent who left it. 

Edited by purpleflowers
  • Love 2

I bought the book about two years ago and still have not finished it! Granted, it is somewhat interesting at spots here and there in regards to the backstory of their family and the wives' backgrounds, but it is repetitive and confusing in its timeline and poorly written too. 

Does anyone know how many wives Christine's father has/had? I know her own mother left but I assumed there were multiple other wives considering how Christine is regarded as polyg. royalty...but I may be mistaken. I just find it fascinating that that the wife who seems to be the biggest advocate for polygamy is the one wife with a parent who left it. 

Christine doesn't say in the book.  She just says that she was raised in a large household and that her grandmother was her inspiration to live the principle.

• Love 2

@technorebel - when things go wonky on me, I click on the  >_   button, which is on the left side, the first button right above where you type your post.

You can do that while posting, or while editing a post. When you click that button, you'll get the code and you'll see something like [ quote name "poster's name"..... ] and then the code for the end of the quote [ /quote]. Just go in and delete everything that way.

Hope that helps!

• Love 1

You can get rid of the box by right-clicking inside it and then clicking "Delete" in the options box that appears, or you can right-click on any corner of the box and get the same little options box and then click "Delete." Please, hold your applause. It's not skill (I, too, am old), it's prolonged brow-furrowing trial and error.

• Love 1

@suomi, I tried what you suggested but I can't get it to work. When I right click, I get an options box, but the Delete is faded and doesn't work.

@technorebel, I tried to duplicate your problem by quoting you and then deleting the quote inside the box. I was left with an empty box like yours. Then, I clicked on the  >_  button and saw the quote codes and just deleted it all, and the empty quote box disappeared. If that doesn't work for you, I'm stumped.

• Love 2

@suomi, I tried what you suggested but I can't get it to work. When I right click, I get an options box, but the Delete is faded and doesn't work.

@technorebel, I tried to duplicate your problem by quoting you and then deleting the quote inside the box. I was left with an empty box like yours. Then, I clicked on the  >_  button and saw the quote codes and just deleted it all, and the empty quote box disappeared. If that doesn't work for you, I'm stumped.

Thank you both. Finally got rid of that empty box.

• Love 2

If Kody and company need new fodder for more episodes (as they are obviously running out of plot lines, made evident by seeing the fleeing Utah clips for the 25th time), they could do an episode with Janelle and Meri trying to bond! Now that I would watch. I'd be surprised if it hasn't crossed their minds, but I'm guessing they may have been unwilling up until now. I honestly cannot remember the two of them interacting unless it was discussion about who got what in the McMansions. 

• Love 1

It's possible they filmed a Meri and Jenelle day and the footage was too dull to air. I'm not eager to see two people not speaking to each other. I'm completely unwilling to watch Meri talk about her feelings. Enough of that.

So true.  Sometimes the only way to get along with someone is to exist in the same space with as little personal interaction as possible.  I've got a family member that ignores me and I ignore him as much as possible.  Can't get away from each other, can't get along, but if we're not forcing interaction all is well.  Sometimes we can talk a bit, but it's always best to keep some distance.  Been that way all my life, I don't see it changing.  I've used the same technique with a difficult manager at work.  As long as you're not obvious about it, it's possible.

• Love 2