Type keyword(s) to search

Snark Should Be Multiplied, Not Divided: General Show Discussion

• Start Topic

Question to all the long time fans out there. Is the show their only source of income? I can't for the life if me figure out the money since no one seems to work. And during Kody's little debt diatribe from last season I started to wonder if they had mortgages on the houses or if they bought them for cash. Which 4 houses? Even in recession Las Vegas, that had to be over $500,000. Are they making that much from the show?

The dresses were awful. All of them.

• Love 1

They have income from the show, a pyramid scheme-type business that they may or may not be still involved with (the Green Goo), the Joolry Business and Janelle is working in real estate but we aren't sure if she is selling homes or just a shop gopher. The homes sold for around $435,000 each but word on the street is the builder gave them three year interest only loans and they have to find conventional loans at the end of the three years or the homes go back to the builder (hence the four very different floor plans and options in each home; easier for him to flip later).

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

They have income from the show, a pyramid scheme-type business that they may or may not be still involved with (the Green Goo), the Joolry Business and Janelle is working in real estate but we aren't sure if she is selling homes or just a shop gopher. The homes sold for around $435,000 each but word on the street is the builder gave them three year interest only loans and they have to find conventional loans at the end of the three years or the homes go back to the builder (hence the four very different floor plans and options in each home; easier for him to flip later).

So debt should only be avoided when it's going toward an education? Nice.

• Love 1

How do they expect to sell any of that Jewelry?  The navigation on the website is poor at best, and annoying.  The stuff with the words on it is not attractive, And it is expensive.  Plus, it doesn't really cater to the general population.  Has anyone bought any of it?

(edited)

Thank you. For some reason I thought they paid half of that because of the massive downturn in the real estate market.

I can't imagine sustaining all those mortgages is going to be easy in 2 years when the show will most likely be over.

Edited by CofCinci

So I finally went to their closet and checked out the wares.  As someone said, none of that stuff is kept in anyone's closet.  And it is really horrible stuff.  The women's watches were especially awful!  And cheap!  Most of their items now are from the cheaper line they started up.  I guess the expensive things don't sell well.  DUH!  I think their jewelry is poorly displayed as well.  It just does not look appealing in any way. FAIL!

Thank you. For some reason I thought they paid half of that because of the massive downturn in the real estate market.

I can't imagine sustaining all those mortgages is going to be easy in 2 years when the show will most likely be over.

This is probably why they have hung on to the Lehi house. When the cult-de-sac/reality show goes belly-up, they have somewhere to land.

• Love 1

That's because student loans aren't discharged in a bankruptcy, I.e., the REAL KoDouche Brown Family Financial Plan

Ohhhhhh! I'm a little dense. Of course . I always wondered why these sects that are so against lending only apply the "borrowing is the devil" thing to very particular types of loans. Credit Cards are fine, but student loans bad. It's about the chance it will be covered in a bankruptcy. That makes sense.

Has anyone else noticed that they seem to have re-recorded the voice overs, in addition to the opening credits, for this season? Meri sounds about the same, but Janelle, Christine, and Robyn sound like they're just robotically repeating the same lines from before, without any feeling or sincerity at all.  Robyn, in particular, sounds totally defeated. "it-seems-like-destiny-like-we-should-have-all-been-together-since-day-1. Beep beep boop."

Gee, wonder why they're so disillusioned.

• Love 2
Does anyone know how I can watch this show for free? I dropped cable b/c the bill is outrageous.

Oh, geez, why would you want to.  Reading the forum pretty much keeps you caught up without having to look at or listen to these nimrods.

• Love 3

Robyn saying and sighing I'm trying to wrap my mind around why she needs to do this in reference to Meri wanting to finish college.  That's a fairly common goal people have and Robyn is so self-absorbed all she can relate it to is how it's going to affect her.

• Love 1
Robyn saying and sighing I'm trying to wrap my mind around why she needs to do this in reference to Meri wanting to finish college.  That's a fairly common goal people have and Robyn is so self-absorbed all she can relate it to is how it's going to affect her.

Exactly. And she kept bemoaning how it would effect the family. I think Robyn, who was living in the trailer with no heat and an outrageous Victoria Secret bill, thought she was joining this amazing, supportive family. I think she thought SHE would be the icing on the cake, the glue that keeps them solid. But no. This family is a hot mess and the addition of Robyn seems only to have made the dynamic worse. I think she is in very deep denial about that. 

• Love 3

When Meri told Kody she was going  back to school, the first thing out of his mouth was about Robyn. No congratulations, how wonderful, nada.

• Love 1

Oh, geez, why would you want to.  Reading the forum pretty much keeps you caught up without having to look at or listen to these nimrods.

LOL! You're right. I'll just stick to the (free) forums.

• Love 1

First time posting......twop refugee. I can't get enough of this show. The weekly snark from the hot brown mess, is glorious. I miss Logan. He always had a great viewpoint. More Madison and Hunter would be good. More Janelle`s kids and less Robyn`s kids would a plus.

• Love 1

Exactly. And she kept bemoaning how it would effect the family. I think Robyn, who was living in the trailer with no heat and an outrageous Victoria Secret bill, thought she was joining this amazing, supportive family. I think she thought SHE would be the icing on the cake, the glue that keeps them solid. But no. This family is a hot mess and the addition of Robyn seems only to have made the dynamic worse. I think she is in very deep denial about that.

This is my first time quoting so I hope I did it correctly. I completely agree that she is in denial! It seemed to me that Robyn was solely focused on how it would affect her and the business, and it seemed like she would remember to mention her concern about it affecting the family just so she wouldn't come off as selfish. Meri going to college has the potential to affect the family in a really positive way - both as a means to better income and as a positive example for the kids.

• Love 3
It seemed to me that Robyn was solely focused on how it would affect her and the business, and it seemed like she would remember to mention her concern about it affecting the family just so she wouldn't come off as selfish.

I thought the same thing. She didn't say a word about the "famly" when originally talking to Meri, either time. It was only in her talking heads. Trying to do damage control. 

Hello there! A long-time Sister Wives fan here; have been watching the show since the beginning, and lost interest somewhere in the middle but am back to watching it again. I do wish only the best for these ladies and the family, but I have to say they don't seem to be gaining any wisdom, no matter what, when it comes to financial matters. It is just mind-boggling to see the poor choices they make. As huge as those homes are, I think they could have had Janelle and Christine in one house and Robyn and Meri in another. Many of the kids will be heading off to college each year as Janelle once pointed out, so I don't think it would have been so crowded! I am also surprised their show features so many episodes about My Sisterwife's Closet, yet they do not bother to correct all of the grammatical errors on their webpages! Very unprofessional, and the majority of comments on their business's Facebook page seem to be complaints about the website errors! I recently rewatched some of the very first episodes of the show on Netflix, and I have to say I was fascinated by how different it was. Meri actually said that she considered Christine and Janelle to be her best friends and that they "get" her! Wow, fast-forward to today's show and what a change! Sad. 

• Love 2

The more I watch this the more I'm convinced that not only do these people not love each other, I don't think they even like each other.  Geez they're all so unlikeable (except Janelle and sometimes Christine).

• Love 2

As huge as those homes are, I think they could have had Janelle and Christine in one house and Robyn and Meri in another. Many of the kids will be heading off to college each year as Janelle once pointed out, so I don't think it would have been so crowded!

That would leave Janelle and Christine's house having 11 kids (Logan and Aspyn still go back home during breaks and over summer). In a 5 bedroom house, Christine and Janelle would each need their own rooms - leaving 3 rooms for 11 children. That is most certainly crowded, especially since most of the kids are teenagers (or soon will be teenagers) who need their space.

No other configuration would work due to personalities. Only Meri puts up with Robyn. Honestly, what they need is exactly what they had in Lehi with just an addition for Robyn and her brood. But the wives like being apart, so I doubt they will ever live under one roof again. Plural monogamy is working for them in their relationships. They just need to find a way to make it work financially. That will be much easier to do in a few years when the majority of kids are off to college. The TLC gravy train would have run out by then, but their family will also be much smaller too.

• Love 2

That would leave Janelle and Christine's house having 11 kids (Logan and Aspyn still go back home during breaks and over summer). In a 5 bedroom house, Christine and Janelle would each need their own rooms - leaving 3 rooms for 11 children. That is most certainly crowded, especially since most of the kids are teenagers (or soon will be teenagers) who need their space.

That's a good point! I guess I didn't consider that. I suppose they could have made do with three homes altogether, but then Meri would never agree to sharing a house if Christine and Janelle each had their own. And like you said, at this point they are better off not sharing spaces with their dynamic. 

Ok, I didn't see most of season 4, so I'm rewatching right now and I have a few things to get off my chest (imagine that):

1) MSWC--I think the concept of designing religious-themed jewelry that would appeal specifically to Mormons and their off-shoots is not a terrible idea in theory. There are certainly companies that specialize in Christian and Jewish-themed pieces (and probably Islamic themes as well) that appeal to that specific market.  However, I do think probably there isn't a big enough market among polygamists ALONE to make a go of it, at least not unless they are creating other products as well.  Especially if a chunk of female polygamists are of the Warren Jeffs compound variety for whom I'm guessing jewelry is not allowed.  Also, those prices are waaaay too high for their target demographic.  I mean, these people know what it's like to scrimp on finances because you have so many people to support.  Surely they would never spend that kind of money on jewelry (or only rarely).  So it seems a weird blind-spot for them.

2) MSWC (cont')--I'm so irritated at their attitudes toward the expos they go to.  Robyn especially seems to think that since "we work really hard and are exhausted' and "I put so much into it" that people should automatically just throw money at them, and they seem offended when someone dares to not reward them for their "hard work" and "vision."  I'm a college professor and it sounds just like many of my students whose attitude is "well, I did all the work, so I should get an A" or "I worked really hard on this, how could I fail?"  We've overemphasized the value of effort and passion in this country to the point that many people can't handle actual reality anymore.

3) College--Speaking of college, I see a lot of the same entitled attitude when they talk about their kids going to a particular college.  "Oh, for her to go to this [overpriced] school she'll have to get scholarships" as if that is just a given.  And, yes, he mentions them getting "good grades" but believe me, it's extremely rare for a private school anywhere to give a full-ride scholarship for tuition of around $30,000 per year for anyone who is less than a freakin' Einstein.  Yes, there are exceptions in a few places for "diverse" students, but in general you're lucky to get scholarships for as much as half of your tuition at a private institution.  The rest has to be paid out of pocket or by loans/grants.  I see this same attitude in a lot of my students who just assume because they had a 3.5 gpa in podunk USA that they are going to waltz into a private school and be handed everything they want.  That is the exception not the rule.  It just annoys me that we haven't seen them even recognize that as a possibility (as far as I've seen).

Ok, now I've got to go back to watching more.  I feel much better, thanks. ;-)

• Love 12

Ok, now I want to slap Mariah again.  [Pouting] "But the house is right over there, and it's finished.  Why can't we just move in?"  Uh, because you HAVEN'T PAID FOR IT!   GAH!!!  That's like an acquaintance I just dealt with yesterday who was livid (LIVID!) that a collection agency showed up to repossess the car that she hadn't made a payment on in 5 months.  How dare they do that to her?!

Part of the problem is that in their minds the family built up these new houses as the Promised Land where all of their problems will magically be solved.  I've seriously never seen so much angst about moving into a new place.

Also, on that note, I know very little about how real estate works, but is it normal for a builder to customize a home for someone when they haven't even been approved for financing yet?  I know many ppl who have built their own homes to their specifications, but they were all approved first.  I mean, what would have happened to the house with the precious wet bar if Meri's loan had fallen through?  Heh.  Actually, how hilarious would it have been if Meri had to move in with Robyn and the 4th house was sold to some unsuspecting outsider?  Now I'd watch THAT show!

• Love 4
(edited)

@Rhondinella, I just went to their jewelry site for the first time.  It wasn't as bad as I expected.  I agree with you about religious jewelry not being a bad idea.  I think they should branch out to spiritual and maybe add a little crystals and "good energy" crap.  I mentioned in one of the threads that I think they could also do well with purity rings.  I don't like them because they symbolize a father's owning his daughter's sexuality, but they are popular in some segments of the population.  They could do birthstones, astrology signs, graduation year, animals, etc.  They can make it really confusing and combine purity rings with the concept of girl power - why not, they're trying to equate sister wife with strong woman.

What surprised about their jewelry is the limited items.  I believe there were only three bracelets - all charms, and looking nearly identical.  I think there were only three rings too - and not even a claddagh option, which all four wives wear as wedding rings.  I find this strange because they seem to market their jewelry to fans of the show.  I think they would be much wiser to plan for when the show ends.  They need to change the name and take the focus off of sister wives.  Add cute inexpensive items that would appeal to little girls - stocking stuffer type items, etc.

If you enter the "spiritual" topics, you could add in crystals, candles that eliminate negative energy (or whatever they do), sage for blessing your house, feng shui, aroma therapy candles and oils.  It would be a fine line because many religious people consider all this stuff "witch craft".

I have now spent entirely too much time thinking on this and posting.  I'm invested in this family after watching for so long, and regardless of their entitlement and lack of discipline, I wish them well - for the children at the very least.

Ok, now I want to slap Mariah again.  [Pouting] "But the house is right over there, and it's finished.  Why can't we just move in?"  Uh, because you HAVEN'T PAID FOR IT!   GAH!!!

Have you reached the point of the other wives moving in?  Mariah sits outside in a car, headlights shining into their future home, staring like a psychopath.  Meanwhile, she doesn't life a finger to help the rest of the family move in.

To add snark to Robyn's daughter.  They made a big production out of the families walking into their homes for the first time.  As they enter Janelle's home, Logan is carrying Brianna (or whoever the oldest one is), as she spasms, shakes, and cries like a born drama queen.  Meanwhile, little Savannah manages to walk in on her own steam, over shadowed by the hysterical child who is not even going to live in the house.

Edited by RedheadZombie
  • Love 4

@Rhondinella, the builder gave the Browns a three year, interest-only loan for the homes. After that, they have to find conventional financing on their own in order to keep the homes. There is no way they will do that with their financial history, so the builder will get those homes back. He probably didn't want four homes with the same floor plan and options that he will have to flip, all in the same cul-de-sac, so he I'm betting he allowed the wives to select different plans and options as part of the storyline. Of course Queen Meri had to get the house with the mostest stuff and rooms. I guess they figure if there is a chance in hell that they may qualify for one home, they will keep the one that has Meri and Kody's name on it.

• Love 1

Interesting.  So the loans they were freaking out about getting approval on were only for 3 years?  They'd need to get the other 27 years (or whatever) from a bank or other institution?  They haven't done that yet, I assume, from your post.

Mariah sits outside in a car, headlights shining into their future home, staring like a psychopath.  Meanwhile, she doesn't life a finger to help the rest of the family move in.

Yeah, she's clearly used to mommy catering to her every whim.  Ugh, she'll be a pill for her professors and other people to deal with in college.  Not that she'll be alone.

It would be a fine line because many religious people consider all this stuff "witch craft".

Yeah, it would depend on how they feel about that.  Some Christians I know would be open to it, but many others would consider that "paganism" and avoid it.

They'd need to get the other 27 years (or whatever) from a bank or other institution?

Actually, with an interest only loan they haven't paid a cent toward the actual mortgage.  Not that it matters.  At the end of the three years they will simply initiate the Brown Family Financial plan, declare bankruptcy, and head back to Lehi now that the "threat of persecution for their faith" has been proven to be a figment of a paranoid imagination.

• Love 6

Actually, with an interest only loan they haven't paid a cent toward the actual mortgage.  Not that it matters.  At the end of the three years they will simply initiate the Brown Family Financial plan, declare bankruptcy, and head back to Lehi now that the "threat of persecution for their faith" has been proven to be a figment of a paranoid imagination.

And the only reason I hope this show lasts a few more seasons is that I want to watch this SO BADLY.  I wonder if TLC will let them spin it the way you say, or if they'll let slip that they couldn't get financing because their credit scores are negative numbers . . . . .

• Love 2

Ha - Kody will NEVER stop saying that he's being persecuted for his beliefs or lifestyle or WTF you want to call it.  He was still talking about it in this last episode for crying out loud.  Even the court decision hasn't made a speck of difference to him in trumpeting that (false) statement.

I think it's pretty ingrained amongst plygs anyway.  The men, especially, seem to get a charge out of the perception that the law is after them.  Saw it on Polygamy USA too, Hyrum talking about being hauled in jail any moment.  I mean when was the last time someone was arrested for polygamy (without anything else such as child brides, welfare fraud, etc) - 50 years ago or more??  I personally think that Kody was not very happy with the verdict to decriminalize polygamy.  Really what the Browns are doing now isn't even polygamy, since they all live in separate McMansions and he's really only married to Meri.  The worst thing about it is that the wives aren't allowed to have other sex partners.

This is all very interesting.  If this speculation is correct, then that means they went through all this durm and strang for houses they will only be in for 3 years (unless TLC or some other entity steps in with money--and I can't imagine they're making the network enough for them to take on 4 mortgages).

I wonder if any of them have even begun to look at paperwork on a real mortgage.

No, not a chance.  They'll save that for the last minute or simply move.

I was surprised not one little bit that Janelle was the first one to get her loan approved.  She's always been the money numbers person.  She probably had her ducks in a row and all her paperwork completed perfectly on time.  The others seemed to be dragging their feet all the while complaining about how long it was taking.  Ugh.  If all the people on this show Janelle is the only one I could envision being friends with.  She reminds me a little of my aunt.

Really what the Browns are doing now isn't even polygamy, since they all live in separate McMansions and he's really only married to Meri.

That's what's so weird about it to me.  When they were all in one house, albeit separated into different parts, at least it made sense in a way to live like they did.  The women (if they agreed) could help each other out, parent the children equally, split the chores, etc.  But with separate houses where I assume they each do their own housework, and with the kids not being consistently together in any one house, I don't really see the point of the relationship.  Meri especially seems set off in her own little world now that her child is gone, and she seems to have no interest in helping the other wives with their kids, which I can't blame her for.

• Love 2

But Rhondinella, even with Janelle's purported money acumen, the family has still filed for bankruptcy 4 times since 2002 (if memory serves).  the only one who hasn't (yet) is Robyn.

This has been said before, but I think Janelle is intelligent only in comparision to the rest of the adults, but she's also the biggest kisser of Kody's ass.  Robyn notwithstanding.

Maybe it's because of Janelle's purported money acumen that they have been able to file bankruptcy so many times! They have gotten pretty good at rotating through each wife's credit (and demolishing it in 5-7 years). Robyn's credit was pretty dismal when she entered the family so I don't know if they were able to rack up the credit card debt with her like they did with the other wives. I still think the sessions with the credit adviser were all BS and they never paid anything off, especially Robyn.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I don't know about Amazon Prime, but I was at Netflix looking at the selections yesterday and it appears they do not have the entirety of any particular season.  Like a season my have 22 episodes, but they only have 13 or 15 or something.  Not sure what's up with that.  It might be enough to get you by, though.

I've always assumed that the Browns were holding onto the Lehi house as a backup plan. I was saddened to hear Kody say they're underwater in the house, meaning they have no equity. I think the story was Janelle used inherited money to purchase that house. She then dipped into her retirement for the Las Vegas move. If this is true, Janelle is definitely generous - but not smart.

I don't think they have ever had a 22-episode season, so you are probably seeing all the episodes. In fact, I think one season was only 8 or 10 episodes long, if I remember correctly.

Yeah, I'm probably wrong on the numbers; I didn't look them up. But I know last night I was looking for a couple of specific episodes that were not listed as being on Netflix.  The numbering of seasons varies depending on who is doing it (some count all episodes within a given year in the same season; others start over with a new season after every hiatus, however short) but I don't think that was the issue here.  Anyway, I don't know.  I'm losing brain function for the day and going to bed.  Night all!

• Love 1

@Rhondinella, the builder gave the Browns a three year, interest-only loan for the homes. After that, they have to find conventional financing on their own in order to keep the homes. There is no way they will do that with their financial history, so the builder will get those homes back. He probably didn't want four homes with the same floor plan and options that he will have to flip, all in the same cul-de-sac, so he I'm betting he allowed the wives to select different plans and options as part of the storyline. Of course Queen Meri had to get the house with the mostest stuff and rooms. I guess they figure if there is a chance in hell that they may qualify for one home, they will keep the one that has Meri and Kody's name on it.

Wow, thanks for that information. I had no idea about that, as I just started watching this show when they were building the houses. I came in right around the point where they were trying to get their loans approved while also finalizing the details of the houses.

With three year interest only loans, their payments aren't that high for now. Most people taking on  loans like that do so because they know going in that they will only be there temporarily. In this case, based on what I've read, there's no way they'll be able to secure standard mortgage loans when their current ones are up. So, yeah, the posters saying they might be planning a a move back to Utah seem to be correct.

I don't think there's any way that TLC will help them out when the loans are up, but does anyone know whether TLC helped them buy the houses? If they didn't sell their other house, where did the four down payments come from for these houses? And, how much did they even put down? I could see TLC putting the money down because the houses were a big part of the storyline for a while, and after that they certainly made for a much more interesting "set" than their old house.

• Love 1

In real time (not show time) - how long ago did they buy the houses?  My question really is - how long do we have to wait before they have to move back to Utah?  :)