Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Stacy Haiduk, “The Young and the Restless”
Anna Maria Horsford, “The Bold and the Beautiful”
Finola Hughes, “General Hospital”
Kate Mansi, “Days of Our Lives”
Kelly Sullivan, “The Young and the Restless”

I'm sorry, but this is like Emma Stone getting nominated and winning for such an undeserving role in La La Land--Kate Mansi's getting nominated when she's the absolute worst is just stunning in it's insanity.  WTF??!!

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

I'm sorry, but this is like Emma Stone getting nominated and winning for such an undeserving role in La La Land--Kate Mansi's getting nominated when she's the absolute worst is just stunning in it's insanity.  WTF??!!

Did you see what she turned in I posted above... Sadly I believe she will win over more superior  actresses like Haiduk and Hosford who are the true definitions of supporting on a soap opera... gosh I hope I'm wrong. 

3 hours ago, BlackMamba said:

I'm usually hard on Dena myself but she got Mary Beth her first Emmy on Days because she chose to write for Stayla instead of Justin/Adrienne.  Dena also is still nominated for best writing along with Josh and Ryan. Plus they still could had been going off Dena's notes while she was on leave of absence.  It wasn't all Josh especially when it came to the Steve/Kayla/Joey/Ava storythe first half of the season.  I'll be curious what Josh turned in either separately or with Dena and Dena/Ryan turned in. I pray for Josh he don't turn in any of the rape garbage with Ciara, Maggie going down a flight of stairs and the ridiculous backstory with Deimos.  If he turned in anything with Dena it probably was Daniel dying.  Yet I think that's the only thing he has.  Dena/Ryan will probably turn in stuff from when Abe got shot and also Adrienne’s wedding. 

Yeah, this last year was definitely a joint disaster.  But I think MBE's reel last year was the scenes with PR in the park, and the scenes with SN in the closet, which were more Griffiths influenced.  I thought she got great material out of the reveal about Steve and Ava... but if she submitted it, didn't get her a nom.  She hasn't had anything worth writing home about since Dena came back full time.

Adrienne's wedding was definitely my favorite whole episode from last year, so I hope they do submit it.  There were also those dedicated episodes like Jennifer hitting rock bottom that might get consideration.

I remember KM didn't show up to the Emmy's last year, even though she could have as a cast member of DOOL and I think she should have shown up to give her support to her co-stars who were nominated.  But I'm guessing she will be front and center of everything this year.  I don't watch any of the other shows, but I'm hoping anyone, I don't care who it is, wins over her. 

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 2:21 PM, FnkyChkn34 said:

I guess Joey may have had one standout day or two, when seen in a vacuum.  And he has improved since the beginning.  But still, Theo is better on any given day.  (Sorry, I don't know all of the actors' real names, so it's easier to refer to the characters.)

Joey: James Lastovic.
Theo: Kyler Pettis.
Ciara: Vivian Jovanni.
Claire: Olivia Rose Keegan.
Jade: Gabrielle Haugh.

I remember KM didn't show up to the Emmy's last year, even though she could have as a cast member of DOOL and I think she should have shown up to give her support to her co-stars who were nominated.

Kate was in Florida last year during the Emmys filming that ridiculous Lifetime movie with Patrick Muldoon.

As one of the few here that like Kate, I wouldn't mind her winning.  I mean she was best at that OTT stuff Emmy people love for whatever reason.  I think where Kate was weak was playing the more simple stuff that Marci seems to be good at, more subtle I guess.  I always thought Kate was fine at the overly dramatic ridiculousness.

I think Jen Lilley probably didn't get a nom because she submitted in lead right?  There are weird politics with younger people submitting in that category.  It's easier for an older person even if they've only been in 20 episodes all year.  I'm shocked BF and Scott Clifton broke through over on the men's side this year.

All this said with only 4 soaps left, do Emmys mean anything anymore?  As someone once pointed out, it's almost like getting a participation trophy these days.

9 minutes ago, ihavenoidea said:

All this said with only 4 soaps left, do Emmys mean anything anymore?  As someone once pointed out, it's almost like getting a participation trophy these days.

They really don't.  It's nice to see your favorites get recognized, but that's about it.  There's a younger actor on The Bold and The Beautiful who was going off on twitter about not being nominated this year, and it's like, dude.  Dude.

1 hour ago, ihavenoidea said:

I agree; why aren't they just part of the real Emmys?  They hardly earn their own separate event anymore.

13 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I agree; why aren't they just part of the real Emmys?  They hardly earn their own separate event anymore.

The daytime Emmys cover many  many many other things aside from the 4 daytime serials. The event is two nights. And unlikely to be televised.

104 pages of nominees

https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/44th-annual-daytime-emmy-award-nominations-final_final-amended2.pdf

Edited by SanDiegoInExile
  • Love 1
On 3/24/2017 at 1:55 PM, lska said:

They really don't.  It's nice to see your favorites get recognized, but that's about it.  There's a younger actor on The Bold and The Beautiful who was going off on twitter about not being nominated this year, and it's like, dude.  Dude.

Who? ?

On 3/24/2017 at 1:24 PM, ihavenoidea said:
On 3/24/2017 at 1:24 PM, ihavenoidea said:

I'll say yes and no.  I gave up the Daytime Emmys ages ago after how they didn't nominate Kristian for the Zach storyline.  However this is the last award show that recognizes soap opera industry commercially.  Without this show no one really knows that soaps really exist.   My award show was the soap opera digest awards because I knew the NBC soaps would clean house since they hardly got the recognition at the Daytime Emmys.  ?

13 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

I'm sure Marci Miller is thrilled to be reading these stories about Kate Mansi being open to returning to the show.

I read that I was pissed 

Marci Miller has been a very good Abby and more likeable.  I hope Days isn't stupid enough to sit there return back to KM.  Ugh. 

Edited by BlackMamba
  • Love 7

KM made her bed and she can now lie in it. She wanted out and is doing low budget crap movies and now thinks Days wasn't so bad after all. Too bad.

• Love 8
On 3/31/2017 at 4:05 PM, DisneyBoy said:

Surely, they can appreciate how much MM has brought back to the role - like dignity?

If they were fans of Mansi, I doubt they recognize anything like dignity or talent or even the ability to change facial expressions :):)  

• Love 6

Look I have to hand it to Manci - she gave Abigail a certain flavor and even though I found the character deplorable because of it, she was consistently smug. I can see why people might become married to her particular take on the character - I just feel badly for them because there was absolutely no nuance or likability.

Heaven Help Us all if she wins an Emmy. We'll never hear the end of it.

• Love 1

Hmm.  They have used old scenes to audition new characters at times in the past.

My thoughts on an EJ recast would be 1) what's James Scott up to that precludes a return?  I know people get burnt out on the show (I certainly am), but unless he's left TV/film acting all together he doesn't seem to be working.  And 2) ugh, Sami.

Unless they were able to secretly get AS to come back as Sami, there is no point in having EJ come back. The character was defined by his obsessive love of Sami, his children and his twisted relationship with Stefano. There would be no reason for him to hang around Salem if he knows that Sami and the children are somewhere in the wind presumably hiding from Andre. And unlike Chad, EJ hates Andre and has no reason to act like they are family.

• Love 1

The Writers' Guild contract with the Producers ends on May 1, and there is a lot of talk of a writers' strike.  This article talks about the implications for soaps, worrying that if the writers strike soaps will go off the air, and then will they ever come back again?

https://mg.mail.yahoo.com/neo/launch?.rand=c9lbocjpsb480#5809849023

Days, of course, has a six month buffer, so if the strike is short, they could get back in business soon.

7 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

The Writers' Guild contract with the Producers ends on May 1, and there is a lot of talk of a writers' strike.  This article talks about the implications for soaps, worrying that if the writers strike soaps will go off the air, and then will they ever come back again?

https://mg.mail.yahoo.com/neo/launch?.rand=c9lbocjpsb480#5809849023

Days, of course, has a six month buffer, so if the strike is short, they could get back in business soon.

I can't open the link, but in both the 1988 and 2008 strikes, there were strikebreakers who kept the writing room going.

2 minutes ago, lska said:

I can't open the link, but in both the 1988 and 2008 strikes, there were strikebreakers who kept the writing room going.

The article says that this time, the actors are talking about not crossing the picket lines.

• Love 1

The 1988 strikebreakers did the deaf storyline for Steve and Kayla.  Originally they were doing a circus storyline and because of the strike that fell through.  Let's just say I'm very grateful because of everything that happened during that storyline, especially Jack finding out he was really Billy and of course the boat wedding of Steve and Kayla. 

27 minutes ago, Lisa418722 said:

Originally they were doing a circus storyline and because of the strike that fell through.

Bwuh?  Do you remember anything else about that?

The poisoning story originally wasn't supposed to play out the way it did, either, but Mary Beth Evans' pregnancy took her out of the Greek location trip.  Amazing how the writers figured out how to deal with constraints and actually make the stories better because of it.

4 hours ago, lska said:

Bwuh?  Do you remember anything else about that?

The poisoning story originally wasn't supposed to play out the way it did, either, but Mary Beth Evans' pregnancy took her out of the Greek location trip.  Amazing how the writers figured out how to deal with constraints and actually make the stories better because of it.

I can't remember why I walked into the kitchen, but I remember S&K storylines from 30 years ago.  If you remember the character Monty (the guy who drank too much and read tarot cards), I think it was a way to bring his past into the storyline, since he came from a circus family. I don't remember much more than that, especially since the story was dropped with the writer's strike.  

It is amazing how the writers in the 1980's were able to take real life events (pregnancy, writer's strikes, etc.) and create storylines we still remember all these years later.  Unfortunately, I don't see myself watching DVD's or reminiscing about today's storylines in 30 years.  

• Love 3

This seems to be the place to post this. In case you guys haven't been following Freddie on Instragram he's been on a serious workout regime for the last few weeks and today he posted a shirtless selfie to show his progress. This almost makes up for last week.....almost. Is it just me, or does Freddie have some serious abs now?

Freddie 4-12-17.jpg

Edited by madhacker
  • Love 1

It's just you. Hee. (Not a Freddie fan)

He's trying to get back to his "fighting weight," though. The only reason I have any interest in that at all is .... when Freddie knows he's got shirtless scenes coming up, he whips himself back into shape. I want there to be a gay presence on the show so if it's PaulSon, whatever. I'll forever hold out hope that Will is coming back in some form...although I want will FAR FAR away from guido Sonny. 

Edited by swtrgrl
  • Love 2

Yeah, if Will comes back I'd definitely rather he not want Sonny anymore. Their connections to Paul are too squicky (is that a word?). Let them both move on.

I wish the show had filmed a flashback arc of PaulSon back when they were first a thing and Paul was an athlete. Like maybe them at a baseball stadium or them avoiding being seen by his mother or something (if they can do it for Chad and Gabi....). I think we got one scene of them in bed but it felt perfunctory. I just never believed these two had real history. Paul is an okay character but every part of his history retcons someone else's (Sonny and John).

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 1

Carrie Ann Inaba was the co-host on Live With Kelly today, and Robb Derringer (Scooter), who is her fiance, was standing in the sidelines, so she talked a little about him (not very much), and he was adding a little teeny bit about Days.  He was only on for a very brief time, starting at about 3:00 on this video of the whole show:

• Love 1

He basically just tells it like it is, that they didn't give enough time to the Chabi relationship, they spent more time creating fake memories than worrying about building them up to be an actual couple.  You can't just tell the audience something, you have to show them.  They have people telling us about Chabi's bond (including Abby today) and having baseball memories, but we haven't seen much of any real bonding in actual time.  

• Love 2

I love his perspective and I love that he's honest about the writing without being an ass about it. I think some actors wouldn't be as diplomatic as he's been.

And I couldn't agree more with what he said about the build between Chad and Gabi and how the story could have been told better.

Going to love watching him the next couple of months based on what he said in the interview.

I didn't watch much after they were done with the triangle but I loved his "Who the hell is Scooter?!" reaction. LOL

• Love 3
23 hours ago, ihavenoidea said:

He basically just tells it like it is, that they didn't give enough time to the Chabi relationship, they spent more time creating fake memories than worrying about building them up to be an actual couple.  You can't just tell the audience something, you have to show them.  They have people telling us about Chabi's bond (including Abby today) and having baseball memories, but we haven't seen much of any real bonding in actual time.  

To be fair, some people feel Days did that regarding Chad and Abby when BF's Chad first came to town. They rewrote a lot of Chabby's history and then forced it in the narrative with other characters on repeat about it as true when it didn't even take a long term Days viewer to remember how things actually played out with CD leaving in 2013 and BF arriving in 2014. TPTB likely figured that it "worked" for Chabby so why not Chabi?

Edited by Chick2Chic
Clarity
  • Love 2